Thiethylperazine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Thiethylperazine: Norzine, Torecan
Thiethylperazine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Based on minimal excretion of other phenothiazine derivatives, it appears that occasional short-term use of thiethylperazine for the treatment of nausea and vomiting poses little risk to the breastfed infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Phenothiazines cause galactorrhea in 26 to 40% of female patients. Hyperprolactinemia appears to be the cause of the galactorrhea. The hyperprolactinemia is caused by the drug's dopamine-blocking action in the tuberoinfundibular pathway.
1. Polishuk WZ, Kulcsar S. Effects of chlorpromazine on pituitary function. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1956;16:292-3. PMID: 13286329
2. Hooper JH Jr, Welch VC, Shackelford RT. Abnormal lactation associated with tranquilizing drug therapy. JAMA. 1961;178:506-7. PMID: 14448766
3. Turkington RW. Prolactin secretion in patients treated with various drugs: phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, reserpine, and methyldopa. Arch Intern Med. 1972;130:349-54. PMID: 4560178
4. Turkington RW. Serum prolactin levels in patients with gynecomastia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1972;34:62-6. PMID: 5061776
5. Meltzer HY, Fang VS. The effect of neuroleptics on serum prolactin in schizophrenic patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1976;33:279-86. PMID: 1259521
6. Maguire GA. Prolactin elevation with antipsychotic medications: mechanisms of action and clinical consequences. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63(suppl 4):56-62. PMID: 11913677
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about thiethylperazine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: phenothiazine antiemetics
Other brands: Torecan