Pimozide use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Pimozide: Orap
Pimozide Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because there is no published experience with pimozide during breastfeeding, other drugs are preferred.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Pimozide can cause hyperprolactinemia. The hyperprolactinemia is caused by the drug's dopamine-blocking action in the tuberoinfundibular pathway.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Fiore L, Scapagnini U, Canonico PL. Effect of dihydroergocryptine and dihydroergocristine on cyclic AMP accumulation and prolactin release in vitro: evidence for a dopaminomimetic action. Horm Res. 1987;25:171-7. PMID: 3032757
2. Delitala G, Masala A, Alagna S. Suppression of pimozide-induced prolaction secretion by piridoxine (vitamin B6). Biomedicine. 1977;27:190-2.
3. Maguire GA. Prolactin elevation with antipsychotic medications: mechanisms of action and clinical consequences. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63(suppl 4):56-62. PMID: 11913677
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about pimozide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 17 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous antipsychotic agents
Other brands: Orap