Lepirudin use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Lepirudin: Refludan
Lepirudin Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Limited information indicates that lepirudin in doses up to 100 mg daily produce very low levels in milk. Because of its large molecular weight, it would not be expected to be absorbed from breastmilk by the infant. Lepirudin would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants, especially if the infant is older than 2 months.
Maternal Levels. One mother who was 10 weeks postpartum received lepirudin 50 mg twice daily subcutaneously. Her breastmilk had undetectable (<0.1 mg/L) lepirudin levels 3 hours after a dose.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
One infant was breastfed for 3 months during therapeutic lepirudin use beginning at 7 weeks of age. No bleeding events occurred.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Bates SM, Greer IA, Middeldorp S et al. VTE, thrombophilia, antithrombotic therapy, and pregnancy: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141 (2 Suppl):e691S-736S. PMID: 22315276
2. Lindhoff-Last E, Willeke A, Thalhammer C et al. Hirudin treatment in a breastfeeding woman. Lancet. 2000;355:467-8. PMID: 10841132
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about lepirudin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: thrombin inhibitors
Other brands: Refludan