BCG Vaccine use while Breastfeeding
BCG Vaccine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and several health professional organizations state that vaccines given to a nursing mother do not affect the safety of breastfeeding for mothers or infants and that breastfeeding is not a contraindication to the BCG vaccine. Breastfed infants should be vaccinated according to the routine recommended schedules.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
In one study, breastfeeding improved the cellular immune response to BCG vaccine if the vaccine was given at birth. However, if the vaccine was given at 1 month of age, breastfeeding had no effect.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. General recommendations on immunization --- recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2011;60 (RR-2):1-64. PMID: 21293327
2. Gruslin A, Steben M, Halperin S et al. Immunization in pregnancy: No. 220, December 2008. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2009;105:187-91. PMID: 19367691
3. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases, Kimberlin DW, Brady MT et al. Red Book: 2015 Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 30th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics. 2015.
4. Pabst HF, Godel J, Grace M et al. Effect of breast-feeding on immune response to BCG vaccine. Lancet. 1989;333:295-7. PMID: 2563456
BCG Vaccine Identification
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- BCG (Intravesical)
- BCG Vaccine (Immunization)
- Bacillus of calmette and guerin vaccine, live Intradermal (Advanced Reading)
- Bacillus of calmette and guerin vaccine, live Intravesical (Advanced Reading)