Generic name: metformin hydrochloride
Dosage form: tablet, film coated, extended release
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Glumetza safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Glumetza.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
GLUMETZA should be taken once daily with the evening meal. The dosage of GLUMETZA must be individualized on the basis of both effectiveness and tolerability, while not exceeding the maximum recommended daily dose of 2000 mg. The starting dose of GLUMETZA in patients who are not currently taking metformin is 500 mg once daily, with the evening meal. The dose can be uptitrated in 500 mg increments no sooner than every 1-2 weeks if a higher dose of GLUMETZA is needed and there are no gastrointestinal adverse reactions.
If GLUMETZA is considered appropriate for a patient already receiving immediate-release metformin, the patient can be switched to GLUMETZA once daily at the same total daily dose, up to 2000 mg once daily.
GLUMETZA tablets must be swallowed whole and never split, crushed or chewed. Occasionally, the inactive ingredients of GLUMETZA 500 mg may be eliminated in the feces as a soft, hydrated mass, while the 1000 mg may leave an insoluble shell that may resemble the original tablet. If a dose of GLUMETZA is missed, patients should be cautioned against taking two doses of 2000 mg the same day. Resume dosing as according to prescribing recommendations. (See PATIENT COUNSELING INFORMATION (17))
- Glumetza Side Effects
- Glumetza Drug Interactions
- Fortamet (metformin hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Glucophage (metformin hydrochloride) tablet, film coated dosage information
- Glucophage (metformin) consumer information
- Glucophage XR (metformin hydrochloride) tablet, extended release dosage information
- Metformin dosage information
- Metformin consumer information
- Riomet (metformin hydrochloride) oral solution dosage information
- Riomet (metformin) consumer information