Generic name: asparaginase
Dosage form: injection, powder, lyophilized, for solution
This dosage information does not include all the information needed to use Erwinaze safely and effectively. See full prescribing information for Erwinaze.
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. ALWAYS consult your doctor or pharmacist.
To substitute for a dose of pegaspargase:
The recommended dose is 25,000 International Units/m2 administered intramuscularly three times a week Monday/Wednesday/Friday) for six doses for each planned dose of pegaspargase.
To substitute for a dose of native E. coli asparaginase:
The recommended dose is 25,000 International Units/m2 administered intramuscularly for each scheduled dose of native E. coli asparaginase within a treatment.
- Visually inspect the ERWINAZE powder for foreign particulate matter and discoloration prior to reconstitution. Discard vial if present.
- Reconstitute the contents of each vial by slowly injecting 1 or 2 mL of preservative-free sterile sodium chloride (0.9%) injection (USP) against the inner vial wall.
- Do not forcefully inject solution for reconstitution directly onto or into the powder. When reconstituted with 1 mL the resultant concentration is 10, 000 International Units per mL. When reconstituted with 2 mL the resultant concentration is 5,000 International Units per mL.
- Dissolve contents by gentle mixing or swirling. Do not shake or invert vial.
- When reconstituted, ERWINAZE should be a clear, colorless solution. Discard the reconstituted solution if any visible particles or protein aggregates are present.
- Calculate the dose needed and the volume needed to obtain the calculated dose.
- Withdraw the volume containing the calculated dose from the vial into a polypropylene syringe within 15 minutes of reconstitution. Do not freeze or refrigerate reconstituted solution and administer within 4 hours or discard.
[see How Supplied (16)].
- Inject ERWINAZE solution intramuscularly.
- Limit the volume of reconstituted ERWINAZE at a single injection site to 2 mL; if reconstituted dose to be administered is greater than 2 mL, use multiple injection sites.
- If a partial vial is used, do not save or reuse the unused drug for later administration. Discard unused portions.