User Reviews for Imatinib

Also known as: Gleevec

Learn more about Imatinib.

Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia 1 reviews 18 medications

Myeloproliferative Disorders 1 reviews 2 medications

Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia 22 reviews 21 medications

9.1
Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor 5 reviews 3 medications

8.4
Chronic Eosinophilic Leukemia 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hypereosinophilic Syndrome 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Myelodysplastic Diseases 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Systemic Mastocytosis 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Imatinib reviews 29 reviews 9.4

Reviews for Imatinib

Gleevec (imatinib) for Myeloproliferative Disorders: "I have a rare myeloproliferative disorder. Thanks to Gleevec, I can live an entirely active and normal life with a normal life expectancy. My blood analysis has always been normal since starting Gleevec."

rwadecole April 1, 2015

Gleevec (imatinib) for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor: "Apart from sluggishness and diarrhea, this has kept me alive for 10 years."

Steve Ingle March 5, 2015

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I have been on Gleevec for a year now. I started with 400mg but could not tolerate it so dropped to 300mg. I am in remission but nausea has become a problem. Taking antinausea meds but still nauseated most of the day. Lorazepam helps but wish I felt better without all of this. Glad to be alive though."

Cali48 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2015

Gleevec (imatinib) for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: "I've been taking Gleevec since 2008. I'm 24 now in February 7 2015 I live a normal life. Gleevec and Stanford hospital saved my life I'm 24 now just a kid but I've walked the line and back again I have (all) with ph chromea zone I've done extensive therapy. lucky to be here I'm the light at the end of the tunnel don't give up you can do it my friends my heart goes out to all of my fellow fighters."

jmaysurviver February 7, 2015

Gleevec (imatinib) for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor: "Mom has been on this since 2003 and is stable, I am very happy."

rpavlow November 11, 2014

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I've been taking Gleevec for a year now, at first I was very tired but now I'm taking a multivitamin but I've notice that my skin coloring has changed. I'm concerned a brown skin woman but now my skin has lighten so much until I'm wearing makeup for very light skin women some days I have very little color and I look almost white. My doctor hasn't seen this before he said usually patients become darker."

Dotti427 September 12, 2014

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "Was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) in Feb 2011, Gleevec worked for me for about a year and a half. I threw up almost every night on it. I had a rash all over my body when I first took it but that went away over time. Gleevec stopped working for me and my BNR jumped from 3 to 19. Dr switched me to Sprycel."

nerdybee (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2014

For Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I have been on Gleevec since March 2007 when I was dignosed with Chronic Mylogenous Leukemia. I was sick for about 4 months on this drug with Nausea, leg swelling, pain so bad that I felt crippled by the end of every day and headaches. I had these symptoms even while taking Zofran with the drug. My doctor's at MSKCC told me to hang in there saying I was going to wake up one day soon and feel better than ever. And then after 4 months, they were right. I remember that I woke up one morning, stretched my arms and legs and yawned and saw the sun shining through my bedroom window and I turned to my husband and said "I feel great"! I have pretty much felt great since then and my life has thrived. I am not just a survivor, I am a thriver!"

ToniQ October 29, 2013

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I've been on Gleevec since Aug. 24 2001 for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. I've had no side effects with it. The only side effect I had is when the doctor had me on both Gleevec and interferon it caused my heart function to drop. They took me off the interferon and heart function was normal. Been in remission for 11 years."

charlie jr September 21, 2013

Gleevec (imatinib) for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor: "I had a 5 cm Gastrointestinal Stroma Tumor removed from my stomach about a year ago and have been on Gleevec 400 mg since Nov. 2012. Main side effects are occasional muscle cramping that can be intense, mild periorbital edema, mild-moderate nausea. Most worrisome for me is a very low ANC (absolute neutrophil count) that is being closely monitored."

pmsmd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2013

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I have been on Gleevec since 2/2006. My white blood cell count went from 350,000 to 75,000 in less then three months. I went into full moleculer remission by 2/2007. Have the BCR-ABL blood test every 6 months and there is no more Philadelphia Chromosome since. I still can get nauseated and once in a while vomit if I do not take my Reglan correctly or take Zofran with it, but that's a minor annoyance since this medicine saved my life. I would have only had a 40% chance of survival if I would have had a bone marrow transplant. This medicine is a 95% chance of survival and I'm just about to that magical mark of 10 years on the medicine."

CharliePupMom (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 22, 2013

Gleevec (imatinib) for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor: "I am taking Gleevec after surgery, to remove 15ccmm tumor. It has been 7 months and I am tumor free. The main side effects of taking Gleevec has been abdominal bloating with pain, at times severe. I am able to handle the side effects for the most part, but when it becomes too much, I just reduce my dose for a few days until I feel better, normally or for two days a week. I was on Gleevec for 5 months prior to surgery. It didn't reduce the tumor, but it stop its growth and reduced the density considerably."

Gist Survivor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2013

For Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I was diagnosed with PH CML during December 2009. I was put on Imatinib Mesylate 400 mg since 1.1.2010. With Imatinib, My counts are well within normal limits and so far PH Chromosome has remained negative, till date. I have side effects like muscle cramps, headache, fluid retention, abdominal bloating, mild diarrhea , anxiety, sleeplessness and mood swings. Incidence of headache have come down. Fluid retention is relieved with Lasilactone, Bone pain relieved with Calcium and Vit D3. I take Wheat Grass juice & Beetroot Carrot Ginger juice and do certain Yoga specially for Cancer."

Clickman9618 April 18, 2013

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia CML in June of 2010. I have been on Gleevec for about a year and a half now as Tasigna did not work for me. I have had various side effects like others (i.e. swelling in the face, diarrhea, body sores, and muscle aches). Thank heaven I did not lose my hair. The worst is the sores in my mouth that I cannot get rid of and the doctors do not find anything to give me any relief! If I had to pay for the medicines myself I could not do it but with my wonderful insurance I am able to take the medicines and live a good life. Otherwise I do not know where I would be without it. I just got married in August 2012 to my soul mate and this medication give me a new lease on life!"

OK Sqare Dancer January 9, 2013

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I have been on Gleevec now for 6 months and in that time I have had maybe 5 well days, the other days have been filled with vomiting, nausea, body aches & pains, migraines, lethargy, insane amounts of facial swelling and my weight is just up & down like a yoyo, varying from 82kilos down to 75. I now realize that when I said this wasn't the right medication for me 5 months ago I was right. Today my hematologist told me that my Philadelphia gene is unacceptably high, so now I am going to try something else. I am delighted to hear that others are doing so well on it but it certainly wasn't for me"

chellyh November 22, 2012

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I have been on Gleevec for about 10 years now, with absolutely NO side effects, except for one! After my hair grew back, it was curly all over my head. Makes hair styles quite easy at my age of 71."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 8, 2012

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I was in one of the first studies on Gleevec (STI571). I started on Feb. 5th 2000. It has been a life saver. Some side effects but it's better than being dead. The cost is high but it is was it is to stay alive. Was in remission less then 6 months, I have been on 300 mg all these years. "

captcolt45 March 19, 2012

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "The first 6 months I had a lot of bone pain and jerking reactions. Both have subsided. I do occasionally have those reactions, but very seldom. I was told just recently I am in remission, it took 2 1/2 years. The biggest down side is the cost. I did not get upset learning about my leukemia, but cried when I found out about the cost. I get help with my insurance and I am so thankful for PSI giving me some help with it as well. "

Dina G January 4, 2012

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "Taking since early clinical trials in 2000. CCR within about 1 year and steady for the last ~10 years. Had the usual side effects at first but now all gone except I find I cramp easily (Can't tell if Gleevec is the cause). Biggest problem with nausea went away as soon as I switched to the 100mg tablets in place of one 400mg."

Lucky and Thankful October 10, 2011

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "It really does help if you stick to the plan. I didn't and now I feel lots of different pains and also my condition is progressing."

Anonymous May 13, 2011

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "After being diagnosed with CML about 4 years ago. I began taking Gleevec 400 daily. First couple months were most difficult. I personally was nauseous and had diarrhea. Things seemed to settle down. I now have swelling in the face, especially in the eye area, in turn creates migraines which now are controlled by medicines. I also still have the occasional diarrhea bouts. I am thankful for Gleevec as my BCR able has been less than 01% pretty much Full Remission. "

Dean Lutz April 8, 2011

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I have been on 400mg Gleevec for a little over a year. The side effects were hard the first couple months, but now I feel great and my the side effects are only rare digestive issues and headaches. My blood cell counts have been at, or close to normal for the last year, and my last bone marrow biopsy reviled that my cells containing the Philadelphia chromazone had gone from 1 in 2 to 1 in 50. They have also found out I have fibrosis of my bone marrow and are unsure if it's caused by the medication or the CML."

Anonymous December 28, 2010

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "My doctor put me on Gleevec when I was diagnosed with CML five years ago. It has saved my life. I have experienced some of its side effects, such as nausea and vomiting, and continual leg pain, but the benefit of living far outweighs any of the bothersome side effects!"

fancynancy416 January 12, 2010

Gleevec (imatinib) for Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia: "I have been taking Gleevec for over 4 years, and as of today I am in complete remission of my case of CML. For the first 4-5 months of treatment Gleevec apparently caused nausea, especially when I engaged in any vigorous physical activity. Now I have no noticeable side-effects at all."

Anonymous January 10, 2010

Gleevec (imatinib) for Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor: "After having surgery to remove my gastrointestinal stromal tumor one year ago, and having a CT scan every 3 months, I am NED (no evidence of disease), due to taking Gleevec. I only have one noticeable side of effect, occasional nausea."

marywelzen August 6, 2009