Generic Name: carboprost (Intramuscular route)
Carboprost tromethamine should be used only with strict adherence to recommended dosages like other potent oxytocic agents. Carboprost tromethamine should be used by medically trained personnel in a hospital which can provide immediate intensive care and acute surgical facilities .
Commonly used brand name(s)
In the U.S.
Available Dosage Forms:
Therapeutic Class: Endocrine-Metabolic Agent
Pharmacologic Class: Prostaglandin
Uses For Hemabate
Carboprost is given by injection to cause abortion. It is an oxytocic, which means it acts by causing the uterus to contract the way it does during labor and also helps the cervix to dilate.
Carboprost may also be used for other purposes as determined by your doctor.
Carboprost is to be administered only by or under the immediate care of your doctor.
Before Using Hemabate
In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For this medicine, the following should be considered:
Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to this medicine or any other medicines. Also tell your health care professional if you have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals. For non-prescription products, read the label or package ingredients carefully.
|All Trimesters||C||Animal studies have shown an adverse effect and there are no adequate studies in pregnant women OR no animal studies have been conducted and there are no adequate studies in pregnant women.|
There are no adequate studies in women for determining infant risk when using this medication during breastfeeding. Weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks before taking this medication while breastfeeding.
Interactions with Medicines
Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. Tell your healthcare professional if you are taking any other prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicine.
Interactions with Food/Tobacco/Alcohol
Certain medicines should not be used at or around the time of eating food or eating certain types of food since interactions may occur. Using alcohol or tobacco with certain medicines may also cause interactions to occur. Discuss with your healthcare professional the use of your medicine with food, alcohol, or tobacco.
Other Medical Problems
The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of this medicine. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:
- Adrenal gland disease (history of)—Carboprost stimulates the body to produce steroids
- Anemia—In some patients, abortion with carboprost may result in loss of blood that may require a transfusion
- Asthma (or history of) or
- Lung disease—Carboprost may cause narrowing of the blood vessels in the lungs or narrowing of the lung passages
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (history of)
- Epilepsy (or history of)—Rarely, seizures have occurred with use of carboprost
- Fibroid tumors of the uterus or
- Uterus surgery (history of)—There is an increased risk of rupture of the uterus
- Glaucoma—Rarely, the pressure within the eye has increased during use of carboprost
- Heart or blood vessel disease (or history of) or
- High blood pressure (or history of) or
- Low blood pressure (or history of)—Carboprost may cause changes in heart function or blood pressure changes
- Jaundice (history of)
- Kidney disease (or history of)
- Liver disease (or history of)—The body may not get carboprost out of the bloodstream at the usual rate, which may make the medicine work longer or cause toxic effects
Proper Use of Hemabate
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label. The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
- For injection dosage form:
- For causing an abortion in the second trimester of pregnancy (13th to 24th week):
- Adults—At first, 100 to 250 micrograms (mcg) injected deep into a muscle. Then, 250 to 500 mcg every one and one-half to three and one-half hours for up to two days.
- For bleeding of the uterus after pregnancy:
- Adults—250 mcg injected deep into a muscle. Your doctor may repeat this dose every fifteen to ninety minutes as needed.
- For causing an abortion in the second trimester of pregnancy (13th to 24th week):
Hemabate Side Effects
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:Less common or rare
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- headache (severe and continuing)
- hives or skin rash
- increased pain of the uterus
- pale, cool, blotchy skin on arms or legs
- pressing or painful feeling in chest
- shortness of breath
- swelling of face, inside the nose, and eyelids
- tightness in chest
- trouble in breathing
- weak or absent pulse in arms or legs
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:
- pain or inflammation at place of injection
- tender or mildly bloated abdomen or stomach
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Chills or shivering
- fever (temporary)
- flushing or redness of face
- stomach cramps or pain
This procedure may result in some effects, which occur after the procedure is completed, that need medical attention. Check with your doctor if you notice any of the following:
- Chills or shivering (continuing)
- fever (continuing)
- foul-smelling vaginal discharge
- increase in uterus bleeding
- pain in lower abdomen
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
The information contained in the Truven Health Micromedex products as delivered by Drugs.com is intended as an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatment. It is not a substitute for a medical exam, nor does it replace the need for services provided by medical professionals. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before taking any prescription or over the counter drugs (including any herbal medicines or supplements) or following any treatment or regimen. Only your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for you.
The use of the Truven Health products is at your sole risk. These products are provided "AS IS" and "as available" for use, without warranties of any kind, either express or implied. Truven Health and Drugs.com make no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, reliability, timeliness, usefulness or completeness of any of the information contained in the products. Additionally, TRUVEN HEALTH MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTIES AS TO THE OPINIONS OR OTHER SERVICE OR DATA YOU MAY ACCESS, DOWNLOAD OR USE AS A RESULT OF USE OF THE THOMSON REUTERS HEALTHCARE PRODUCTS. ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED. Truven Health does not assume any responsibility or risk for your use of the Truven Health products.
Copyright 2015 Truven Health Analytics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.