User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Review by missykfish (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have taken medications for 10 years, and they have, basically, helped me cope with depression. Effexor is outstanding. I take it in the morning, and it helps all day.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by nynyer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Worked quite well for sometime. Had side effects which were attributed to another medicine I was on at the time. Through trial and error it was discovered the other medicine was not at fault. I was having kidney problems along with frequent edema in my legs and feet. Also constant mucus and tightness in throat. Helped with depression but side effects became serious. Also weight gain. Dr tapered me off this medicine.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Review by j1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa stopped working and I was put on Effexor. My panic attacks are worse then they have ever been, my depression is totally off the charts and I physically shake all the time. The irritability is by far the worst part for me. I'm forever angry now on this medication. My friends and family have noticed a big difference in my personality. Definitely getting of of this medication!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Cancer Crab:

Switched from Paxil 20mg to Effexor 75mg. On Paxil I just couldn't lose weight and my insurance wanted me to try an SRNI before they would pay for the newer meds like Brintellix. At first I noticed a decrease in anxiety THEN I went to work!! My job is very stressful and I have to be SPOT on!! First I noticed anxiety returning then that I was clumsy..dropping things! I then started noticing numbness and tingling in my fingers and then waking up with numb arms which would not wake up for up to 7hrs!!! I did some research and noticed that numbness/tingling of the extremities is a side effect for 20% of people taking Effexor. The numbness scared me to death! I immediately went to my Shrink and got off this damn drug! I'm going to Lexapro! Ugh!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by Kayde:

Was so excited to try Effexor XL and did for the past 6 years. Well, I didn't realize that it made me anhedonia, or without feeling towards a lot of things. I just went on my merry way, but would do nothing....sat and watched TV, couldn't get anything done. Everything was just Great!.....that is what I thought....then I started gaining weight......gradually, but I mean 60-70# over the past 6 years or so.....but just kept on eating. Then I thought I have to do something about this. I gradually took myself off, but WOW the side effects of the withdrawl was unbelievable. My son told me never to do that again...and I told him see.....this medication has so changed me.....and I will never take that again....!Trying to lose this weight now

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 3:00 PM

Review by King Bean (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Great experience on Effexor. Was very anxious; maybe a little depression. Panic attacks, etc. Effexor gave me a great bump within 3 days at each dose. Ultimately, went up to 225mg (2 years). I was a new person; no worries, loving life. Went down to 150mg (2 years), and then down to 75mg (2 years). No problems. After 7 years, went off. Then I started to feel very badly again, went back on to now avail. But the 7 years I was on it, I felt tremendous. Great med for me.

August 4, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Tepper:

As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family.

August 2, 2014 3:08 PM

I took Effexor for three years due to depression. I loved the fact that I was no longer depressed but I was tired all the time. I could sleep for 10 hours get up and two hours later I was ready to sleep again. If I missed taking a dose I would get a horrible headache. The only reason I stopped taking Effexor was due to being tired all the time. Getting off of the medication was awful. I have never been so sick in my life. If you are going to take this medicine the rest of your life I highly recommend it. It did wonders for my depression.

July 29, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by Lawrence Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am a physically healthy (runner) 25 year old male. I have never been mentally healthy, so I have tried antidepressants. I tried Prozac and Wellbutrin. Prozac didn't help or hurt ,but it gave me dangerous mood swings. I was prescribed Effexor 2.5 months ago. It seemed a perfect fit for me. I was wrong. I was on 75 mg each day. It actually made me sadder. I had no weight or sexual side-effects but had vertigo. The worst was CRIPPLING insomnia while taking it, and now I am close to 0 mg, but I still get night sweats and "brain zaps". As I write this, I've had 13 hours of sleep in the past 5 days.

June 1, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by Gc6644 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started this medication about 4 months ago after being on Prozac for 5 months. Antidepressants react differently for everyone, and I am happy to say I have had a very good experience with this medication thus far. I have much more energy, will to live, and my anxiety has also decreased immensely. I have not experienced any side effects with this, however I strongly recommend staying away from alcohol. After a night of drinking I would fall into a depressive state or have a panic attack. This never happened to me before taking this medication.

May 22, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by htas (taken for 5 to 10 years):

This medicine has helped for about 10 yrs. It makes me a little sleepy. I did not gain 1 pound on it.

May 12, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by OLou (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I took this for a few years in my late teens for severe depression and self harm tendencies. It worked well for me. The only downfall is the effects one experiences if one forgets a dose or stops taking the medicine without approval from one's medical provider. In my opinion the honest truth is this: it can be a wonderful, miracle for severe depression and anxiety. It can make a person more outgoing in their environment and provide someone with more energy. The only downfall I ever experienced with it was the withdrawal effects if I forgot a dose. Brain zaps, nausea, general ill feeling. If one takes it as directed, however, they shouldn't experience these. Never quit this medicine on your own without talking to your doctor.

May 3, 2014 4:00 PM

Review by Roolanda:

I had severe hellish, unrelentless depression and did not want to live, I started taking Effexor and it worked the same day. I never thought something could work so well. I have few side effects. My life changed 100%. I am so happy now that the doctor put me on this. People should not be afraid to try anti-depressants.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2014 12:25 AM

A miracle medicine.

April 25, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by Brandoneffexor:

I'm 19. I had a terrible abusive childhood full of alcohol and physical and mental abuse. Depression also runs in my fathers and my mothers family, and so my heads pretty screwed up. I was first prescribed Lexapro, that medication made me go insane, and now I'm on 75mg of Effexor XR. I probably should take more, but in my experience with depression, it really keeps me down to earth and so I told my doctor this was good enough for me. I've been depressed my whole life and I just want to be good enough to where I won't be suicidal. This medication is great. The only side effect is that if I sit in weird positions my feet will go numb really quickly.

April 17, 2014 9:17 PM

Review by Denise007:

I'm 48 and in menopause. I've suffered bouts of little depression through life but since menopause, it hit me like a brick. I had had a couple of panic attacks throughout the years and I couldn't shake this gradual depression that was coming over me. I've always been able to talk myself through it but this time, I just couldn't. My doctor prescribed EFFEXOR. I took it 2 days. On the third day, I was driving to work and I SUDDENLY felt like I couldn't breath. I was shaking, my heart was racing and I really thought I was going to die. I pulled over thinking I was having a heart attack. I called 911, throwing up on the side of a freeway. By the time the ambulance came, my heart rate had skyrocketed! Worst experience of my life.

March 29, 2014 3:24 AM

I am a 49 year old female who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I am taking Risperidone 2 mg a day with 75 mg of Effexor. I was severely depressed and suicidal everyday. Lexapro made me extremely anxious and nervous. I think 75 mg of Effexor is helping a lot. I am now not as depressed or suicidal. I am now regaining my energy and interest back. For everyone who struggle with depression/bipolar out there: don't give up HOPE. Things will get better and you will recover. I believe that. Hang in there, seek help and know that I am rooting for your quick recovery. Best wishes to all of you.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2014 8:01 AM

Review by Helpless2014:

I had a panic attack and my doctor diagnosed me with GAD ( General Anxiety Disorder), and depression, so he put me on buspirone 10mg twice a day with Xanax twice a day too and worked well, then stopped buspirone and put me on Effexor 75 mg and Wellbutrin 300. Effexor was ok for 2 months then didn't work, then placed me on Ecitalopram 10mg/ day, worked for 3 days then made me very angry, so he stopped that too, and don't know what is next!

February 11, 2014 3:07 AM

Review by sfu (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a 27 yr old female with ADD, generalized anxiety (including morbid thoughts, OCD behaviors, hypochondria and depression). Effexor has basically fixed me. I used to be irritable, negative, overwhelmed and chronically fatigued to a disabling capacity and now I'm evened out and confident, positive, patient and kinder. My head feels clearer than it ever has. The only issue is that this medication causes some sweating and raises my blood pressure so I've had to have that stabilized with blood pressure medication.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by Maximus1959 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have taken a lot of depression medicines over the year's but this one has worked the best for me. I take 250mg a day and the side effect's have been very minimum.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2014 4:47 AM

Review by Natasha23 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on many anti-depressants. I experienced a few side effects from this one. The major one I experienced was the headaches. However within less than 1 week the side effects were gone. I also experienced night sweats in the first few weeks. This has stopped me from crying a lot which is good.

December 26, 2013 11:44 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was taken off Lexapro and put on this. It's made me extremely angry. I can't do my school work or anything. I want off this NOW.

December 10, 2013 4:48 PM

Review by Tattie Soup (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on this medication only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 9:48 AM

Review by Sbrooks88:

I have been on this med for only 4 days after being on multiple other meds for general anxiety disorder for several years now. And I can already feel the difference in myself. Not exactly where I want to be yet but definitely positive results so far. It does make my pupils seriously dilated and at night when it's dark my vision seems like I'm on a merry go round if I moves my eyes to quickly. Other than that I feel much better than just a few days ago! Hopefully this med will work for me. I hate switching meds cause of the time I have to wait to start a new one. Sends me in a downward spiral of panic attacks and irritability. So far since being on Effexor EX I've not had even one episode!!!!!! And I was having them every single day!

November 7, 2013 3:52 PM

Review by GinaGee:

I have been on Venlafaxine XR for 8 years (first effexor xr then generic w/o problems). started at 150, then plateaued after about a year, went up to 225 and plateaued again. I have been on 300mg dose for over 5 years. I like this rx a lot. I haven't tried other antidepressants, I was started on this because it worked for other family members. I know it's a high dose n some people are shocked, but I find this offensive and more or less stigma about mental illness and meds. I started Adderall about 4 years ago and that combination has been incredible for my depression (and ADHD). My sex drive recovered 3 months into VFX. The only compliant is when I miss a dose, in which case I have a LOT of complaints: migraines, dizzy, tremor, hypersomnia

October 20, 2013 10:01 PM