User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor Review Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

"I have been taking Effexor for several years, first starting at 50, 75 then 150mg. As far as treating my depression it has been the best. I am a totally different person when taking it. I do have weird dreams, but I would rather have those than be a living nightmare in reality. What I do not like about Effexor is that it excaberates my chronic constipation condition. I have tried taking other anti-depressants, but they did not work as well treating my depression as Effexor."

N.L. August 24, 2015

"I just started about two weeks ago. I completely see a difference in myself for the better. My children are even noticing the difference in my reactions to basic things. I won't say I don't feel anything..but this is a period in my life...feeling nothing is what I need. I am able react to situations with logic. Instead of being on the emotional roller coaster all the time! I was suicidal two weeks ago. I took my kids zip-lining yesterday. I needed this. I'll deal with the withdraws later..this medication saved my life. I work out 4days a week so no energy loss. I don't feel a change in my appetite yet. I did have headaches yesterday briefly. dreams.. falling dream a few times. No weight gain so far. Sex. I don't have a desire yet."

My life matters now August 23, 2015

"I was on Effexor for over 10 yrs. I finally got off this in Dec. 2013 and as of today, July 2015, I'm still having those brain zips several times a day. Last July, I started with a vibration and severe pain in my feet. It's all nerve connected and I think it's from long term use of Effexor. This medication works great for depression but the side effects are not worth it."

KYL August 4, 2015

"I was prescribed Effexor for anxiety and depression and while it does work in some ways, it is not worth it. I was taking 75 mg once a day and it seemed to make me feel calmer and a little more at ease at first, but the side effects made me decide to stop it, and coming off was terrible. My side effects were inability to get any good sleep, taking forever to climax during sex, and never being able to get anything done. The overall feeling I felt was that everything just seemed blunted. Once I stopped the withdrawals were horrible. I felt hungover for about 4 days. In addition to that during the withdrawal time I would sometimes feel like I could just explode and punch a hole in the wall for no reason. Would never try again."

Adam m July 29, 2015

"My experience with Effexor was absolutely terrible. I was prescibed this for my depression (3rd medication I tried) The reason I gave it 2/10 was because I didn't feel any worse mentally on this (did not feel the slightest bit better either), but if it wasn't for that I would have given it a 0/10 if possible. The side effects and withdrawal was absolutely terrible. The head "zaps" started to cause unbearable migraines, I had no appetite, and my vision was blurred some days. The withdrawal was something I've never experienced before and I hope that I will never have to go through it again. I was completely bed ridden due to the unbearable migraines, sweating, and vomiting. Everyone is different, but this did not work out for me."

Jessie62 July 20, 2015

"Works Pretty well. Yet Its Terribly Hard To Stop The Pill. Horrible WithDrawls"

Miss Ash (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2015

"Don't like it as I can't have a orgasm. I will be stwiching to something else"

wildcat7786 June 28, 2015

"I took this drug a few years ago when I was 18, I stopped having panic attacks but still felt anxious at times but i was still much more outgoing. I feel like it made me want to drink all the time, but i felt much better then i did without it. I remember waking up one morning and thinking this is what normal people without depression feel like. I stopped taking it after about a year because I felt like it was working and I didn't have any withdraw symptoms except one day where I felt like I had the stomach flu for one day/ feeling severely depressed a few months after taking it. I have been on 37.5 mg for a month now and just started 75. gives me restless legs and a little insomnia, not much difference in depression but i feel less anxious"

buns4life June 23, 2015

"I had to restart Effexor for the 4th time and it still works very well. My depression started to lift by the second week. The last time it took longer - about a month - before I felt any relief, it all depends. If the period of time before depression is one full of stress, longer, with many irritations, then it takes a little longer for Effexor to work. This 4th time it was only a sudden stressful situation with my mother's health - she was diagnosed with cancer - that sank me into depression. Somehow Effexor worked again and I thank God for that. The side effects for me are almost not worth mentioning and exercise helps a lot. I feel like myself again and some joy of life is back. I first took Effexor in 2005 and I'm glad it still works."

zepman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2015

"Trying Effexor was the worst decision of my life. I was on Celexa for about a year and noticed it becoming less and less effective so I talked with my doctor and he convinced me to try Effexor. The first few months I experienced nightmares, cold sweats, grogginess, lack of motivation, and memory loss. After 6 months I wasn't even the same person anymore. I had no emotion, no sex drive, and completely lost all hope. The only reason I stayed on it was because I knew the withdrawal was so miserable. A couple months ago I had an incident where I attempted suicide and had no choice but to switch medications. It took me about a month to get off the Effexor and the withdrawal was absolute misery. Please, if you have a choice do NOT try Effexor."

Madison295 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2015

"I was switched from Prozac to this (150mg) and it is amazing! It really helped me but I will say DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE IT! my side effects of missing one day were these really weird dreams and horrible headache but if I was off of it for more than a day I felt super dizzy."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2015

"Please listen to me when I say that "never start this medication"!!!!! I was reluctant to try this only because a friend of mine talked to me about the withdraws. I (at the time) didn't have any plans on coming off of it so I thought....what the hay. I was going through a difficult time in my life and needed something to help my anxiety and depression that came from hurting those around me from my anxiety. This medication changed me. I didn't see it at the time. It made me completely numb to everything around me. Yes I could cry but did I really "feel" hurt? It caused me to leave a very amazing job that I was only at for 6 months...kinda one of those lifetime opportunities that I could kick myself for screwing up. Awful medication!!!!!!!"

alynch1213 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2015

"I started taking Effexor in 1995. I had GAD with some depression. For some reason, I let the Dr continue prescribing for 12 years, I was only on 75mg and since it worked, I did not want to temp fate. Last year I started to have worse anxiety and went to one of the highly regarded MD's in NYC. He prescribed Remeron and Effexor. Eventually the dose was increased from 75 mg to 300mg. It had no beneficial effects. Worse is getting off of it. I'm now down to 37.5 mgs over the last two weeks. The brain zaps and anxiety are tough. I think this drug should be illegal, The withdrawal effects are awful. I recommend trying something else unless this is your last resort."

CPA50 (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2015

"I am 140 lb, 29 year old woman. I was prescribed 150 mg of Venlafaxine XR. I only took it for 5 days due to the horrendous side effects. I experienced dry mouth, excessive sweating, blurred vision, constipation, and increased heart rate. I wasn't on it long enough to determine its effectiveness; I wasn't willing to deal with side effects. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and I have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms."

KC85 May 14, 2015

"Horrible drug, will never use it again. My doctor perscribed the lowest possible daily dose to try to see if it would help for anxiety and depression. After taking it for one week I had nausea, constant sweating, made my head feel tight and foggy, did not sleep more than 20 mins at a time because I was constantly waking with nightmares. Been off effexor for over a month. Sweats gone, nausea gone, feeling much better but can't sleep more than 4 hours straight then being awake for hours. I would not recommend this drug to any one. Get your doctor to try you on something different first.."

sara pezzini (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"I only give it two stars because it did relieve some depression while I was on it. After being on it for about 2 months, I realized that I wasn't feeling like myself at all. I felt like I was losing my personality and ambition. So I decided to taper off, and my doctor had me decrease 37.5 mg per week until I was off the med. During the tapering I didn't notice anything major side-effect-wise, but the second day I was completely off of it, everything kicked in. I felt like I was going to die, with major brain zaps and horrible migraines being consistent for a week. I also gained 15 pounds in what seemed like a few days. It's now been a month since I've been off of this awful drug, and I still have brain zaps, and the weight gain too."

No more effexor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2015

"I developed depression when I was 14 after being bullied at school for some time. I decided that I had enough of all the crying and suicidal thoughts just before my 16th. My doctor put me on Zoloft April 2014, which gave me urinary retention. He swapped me to another one which I can't remember the name of, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to it. Finally, I was put on Effexor for 6 months until I was ready to come off them in October 2014. I experienced no depression for a few months, until I became stressed with school. Started Effexor again April 2015, and will continue on it because it works very, very well on me. At first I experienced a little bit of nausea with Effexor, but it passes after a couple of weeks then it's perfect!"

Rachel1998 May 2, 2015

"I've only been on this medication for about 2 weeks. That said, I've slept almost every day since starting it. I know sleepiness is a common side effect but this is excessive. Almost no energy throughout the day. Nonstop yawning. My depression is still there, anxiety has been better. I just feel very drained and apathetic. I'll stick with it for a while longer because I know it will take a while for the full affect to kick in. hoping for good results!"

SleepinBeauty April 19, 2015

"Total life saver. Took away the pain of existence been on it for 7 years, used to binge drink a lot but it interfered. Don't drink anymore, no intention to stop Effexor."

Anonymous April 2, 2015

"Effexor helped me see the reality of my life when I couldn't. I took Zoloft for a while (up to 150mg) and I felt more numb than "happy". When I switched to a family doctor from my psychiatrist, they recommended Effexor XR; I've been taking 75 mg a day for the past four months and my life has done a complete 180. No depression, very little anxiety, and I finally have CONFIDENCE. I have more friends now than I ever did, a wonderful new relationship that I could never have foreseen myself happening, and I'm performing really well academically. Best decision of my life was taking Effexor- I can immediately see a difference in my thought processes when I forget to take it for two days at a time."

reeemuslupin March 28, 2015

"I had been on Zoloft (50mg/day) for depression for 8 years. Following a major chronic health condition, a medical specialist was concerned the Zoloft was no longer effective. Increasing to 100md/day was disastrous - head spins, dry dry mouth, vertigo - so a psychiatrist recommended Effexor. Initial 75mg/day then 150mg/day after a fortnight. Initially I was unable to orgasm but this lasted only about a month (same when I started Zoloft). Main concern is weird dreams most nights. The only thing I can tie this to is the Effexor. Have been researching online and it seems I'm not the only one. What a relief to discover - I was becoming quite concerned (and irritated). But hey, I feel soooo much better that I can live with it. I'm smiling again."

LGG March 28, 2015

"I am taking 35 mg and it works great. I have strange dreams but that's about it for side effects.It doesn't interfere with sexual health like a lot of anti-depressants do.I can see staying on it for as long as I need to.I am glad that I tried, also lessened fibromyalgia outbreaks."

Anonymous March 5, 2015

"Would have been good for just depression, but I am suffering from anxiety too, and that seemed to get worse. So overall, didn't help. Might be good for just depression though."

KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

"This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!"

lavendarles December 16, 2014

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a 21 year old female. I was on Prozac for ten years (40 mg at the end) before switching to Effexor (37.5 mg at first, 262.5 mg now) because I was having issues with anxiety. I was ok for a while then I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor increased my dose and although it did take away the misery and suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't describe myself as happy. I feel constantly tired, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. I can't work and social situations exhaust me. It took me a while to realize Effexor might be responsible for some of these symptoms. I am talking to a psychiatrist about changing my medication but I'm very worried about the infamous withdrawl from Effexor."

Lane123456 December 7, 2014