Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Review by stareast (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started taking Effexor last week for depression, anxiety and racing thoughts. Seems to be working, but I noticed some side effects, like dry mouth and nervousness, but not a big issue. It works much better than Zoloft, Celexa and Serzone, which I've taken in the past. So far, so good.

July 11, 2012 12:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on 75 mg now for about 3 months. Before I was completely out of it, did not want to do anything, would stay at home on the computer all day, suicide thoughts everyday. Now I'm out everyday, going to the gym. All my anger and anxiety, along with the thoughts are gone. Feels great. I highly recommend this medication. I know it will have withdrawal effects when you are getting off it but it is highly worth it, to better your life!

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2012 11:43 PM

I was on this medication for about 3 year for depression/anxiety. During the time I took this medication it completely numbed any emotion that a normal person would get. About six months ago I decided that I was ready to discontinue my use of this medication and slowly reduced my doses. Coming down from this was extremely difficult and painful. I would have the craziest/scariest dreams, intense night sweats, severe headaches, uncontrollable body shaking and muscle twitching, some nausea/vomiting, but the worst of all the side effects was when my heart would race so fast it felt like it was going to break out of my chest, and my heart would feel like it was skipping beats, and each time that happened I would get an intense head rush.

May 11, 2012 11:24 AM

I'm 17, about 125 pounds, female and a senior in high school. I've had depression for a while and started taking Effexor. I strongly encourage trying this medicine for any teens or college students who deal with depression. Helps me concentrate and feel all together in a stable and happy mood. I've had weight loss also only thing that makes me nervous is the withdrawal effects I've read about.

April 10, 2012 8:39 PM

I was recently put on Effexor and I have seen a huge improvement in my motivation and mental clarity. I actually want to get out of bed and do things. I actually want to work out. I don't want to eat all the time anymore. I am severely obese and now after being on it for almost 2 months I have lost about 10 lbs, and I feel great. I haven't noticed any detrimental side effects. It has actually increased my libido, too. I will post if I see any bad changes.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2012 6:04 PM

Review by Ahtibat87:

My experience with Effexor was so bad. The withdrawal was a nightmare, and being on Effexor made me like a zombie. I was not sad but I wasn't happy either. 6 years later I'm completely happy and antidepressant free.

March 25, 2012 5:10 AM

Review by Andy of Wisconsin:

I have been on Effexor for 15 years 150MG per day except for a 1 year period ending about 6 months ago. It is very effective for me. It made me tired when I first started it, but it was worth sticking through that. For my time not taking it, I was on Zoloft which didn't work as well. Effexor has kept me from depression but it does other things for me. First, it reduces my inattentiveness to near nothing. Therefore, I am very productive at whatever I do. Second, it greatly reduces anxiety. Stress does not cripple me any longer while on this medication. Going off the medication has a weird withdrawal symptom that isn't painful, it's just odd. Do not go off the medication without a doctor assisting.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2012 8:50 PM

While effective in decreasing my depression, I developed almost every side effect listed, (including anxiety, muscle soreness, unbearable joint pain, excessive sweating, severe memory loss, GERD, dysuria, brain shivers, hypothyroidism, loss of menstruation) and found myself on medications to treat each of them, ultimately using 19 prescription medications to deal with the side effects. If I could have anticipated the side effects, and the expected difficulty of weaning off this, I would have continued to search for a better alternative.

March 1, 2012 12:26 PM

Review by kmaverikaz:

I have suffered from MDD, GAD, SAD, OCD, panic attacks, agoraphobia and PTSD for the past 25 years. I have tried several other SSRIs and was recently switched to Effexor XR. I was prescribed 37.5 and was to build up to 150mgs. The side effects were so severe I could not get past the initial dose. I took it for the past 6 weeks and it abruptly quit working. I could not tolerate increasing to 75mg. I will be switching to Celexa. The side effects include tachycardia, sweating, hypostatic, extreme blurry vision, nausea, headaches, insomnia and weight gain of 5lbs. I experienced "spatial disorientation" where I would get waves of vertigo. I had great depression relief for about 3 weeks but the side effects were too numerous to tolerate.

January 4, 2012 12:08 AM

I'm a 24 year old female with major depression and anxiety. I've been on nearly every antidepressant I can think of (Prozac, Cymbalta, Abilify, Lexapro...and even a few others) and Effexor has been the only one thus far to be effective. The others either made me an emotionless zombie, or didn't do anything at all. The only side effects I've had were a bit of shakiness for the first week I started taking it, along with some dry mouth. These only lasted a week while my body got used to the medicine. I've had no changes in weight or appetite, which I know is a common concern with this class of drugs. If you've been through the ringer trying to find an antidepressant, I would recommend this to anyone. I also take Buspar daily.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2011 1:07 PM

Effexor gave me my life back again. I was so severely depressed that I had to struggle to find a reason to live everyday, I was very suicidal. I was no longer able to function. 4 weeks after starting Effexor I was returned to my 'normal' self. I was happy and could feel pleasure again and I was excited about life. I have experienced a few minor side effects like constipation and nausea with dosage increases, but the benefits far outweigh the minor side effects!

November 6, 2011 12:02 PM

Review by Charlie's girl:

My boyfriend passed away...very unexpectantly.We had a wonderful, beautiful relationship...I simply adored him and overnight he's gone. The next day my little brother had open heart surgery, my sister passed away last March after living and taking care of my father with dementia, my mother passed away after a 3 year long battle with cancer. I wanted to stay in bed all day curled up in the fetal position and pray that death would take me just so the pain would stop. But I didn't have that luxury...someone had to pay the bills. I hated to go out in public because I never knew what would trigger a crying jag...I had a true sense of hopelessness. 75 mgs of Effexor saved my life. I'm happy again and laughing and going out and celebrating my life.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2011 9:02 PM

I started with the 37 mg dose for mild-moderate depression I had experienced this past year. I felt calm and peaceful for the first few weeks. The doctor had me increase the dose to 75mg. I tried for a month to adjust to it, but all I wanted to do was sleep. It took away my energy and I fought fatigue. I reduced back down to 37 mg and felt pretty good for a couple of months, but started to notice trouble responding to people around me. It felt like being in a daze that took some effort to break. I also started to feel out of sorts and frenzied. I decided to stop the medicine a few weeks ago and feel 100% better. No more confusion or anxiety! This medicine was definitely not a good match for my body chemistry.

October 18, 2011 11:05 AM

Review by XmyXoneXandXonlyX:

One of the best medications I have taken for depression, one warning is do not run out of this medication, because you will experience terrible withdrawals, and when you re-take it the nausea is terrible. If I can stay on this medicine for a long time, I will be happy, never had better control of my depression than I do on Effexor.

October 11, 2011 10:55 PM

Review by jmarch911:

It was a horrible experience for me. So many side effects. I used to only have to wear my glasses at times. It eliminated any sexual experiences. I was only on it for 30 days. I called the doctor after 2 weeks to tell him what was going on but he said to give it a month.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2011 10:28 PM

No side effects after over two years of use... 150mg/day

September 17, 2011 7:12 AM

Review by Dannirae:

I was only on venlafaxine for a few weeks and it didn't help much then I read all these reviews about the weight gain and blurred vision and terrible side effects. So I decided to stop taking the medicine since I had the lowest dose possible and only been taking it for a short short time. The withdrawals are almost unbearable. I cry for no reason. I can't sleep I vomit everyday and I can't judge distance with my eyes. I feel like my eyes are just floating in my head. Every time I stand up I get severely dizzy and feel like I can't move.

September 12, 2011 8:20 AM

Review by greck4:

I don't usually write reviews, but I feel obliged to do so for this one. In many ways, Effexor helped with my clinical depression and gave me boost of energy that I otherwise didn't get with typical SSRIs. On the other hand within 2-3 weeks of taking it, I felt a sudden energy boost where I felt like I could do a million things at once. Before I could never wake up in the morning and felt groggy, and then all of a sudden I was up at 5:00am to do yoga 5 days a week. This pattern of hyperactivity continued for on end, until finally I flipped out and became suicidal. At this time I was on 200mg of Effexor and could simply not function without it. After the terrible withdrawal of weaning off, I finally feel relaxed.

September 7, 2011 12:40 AM

Review by Normal for now:

I took Effexor XR 150mg for a good 10 years for depression. Then, I switched to Zoloft due to what is considered a side-effect of Effexor: elevated liver enzymes. On Zoloft, I felt more anxious than I did on Effexor, but not overly so. It was tolerable. I continued to have same liver enzymes while on Zoloft. It turns out the enzyme issue is not related to the medication alone, if at all. I had a stressful life changing event and felt very anxious. I know I felt much less anxious on Effexor so I asked to be switched back and I was. The doctor made a general statement that he wants me on what works best for me. However, I'm pretty sure he didn't buy my anxiety theory.

September 3, 2011 9:03 PM

Review by Iamok:

I have been taking Effexor 300mg for 2 years, and it has saved my life. I didn't care if I died prior to taking it. I never get sleepy or tired, and I can concentrate much better than I used too. My depression is gone.

August 27, 2011 4:20 PM

Review by Sunset60:

I've struggled with depression since I was a teenager (and attempted suicide then). In college I started having panic attacks. A few years later I was put on this new medicine called Effexor (after getting no relief from Paxil nor Zoloft) and for the first time in my life I felt relatively normal! I've been on Effexor - 150 mg/day for 20 years now and it has REALLY helped me to function at a high level. I have gone off it several times - VERY slowly, but each time, a few months after being completely off, BANG - unbelievable depression, and I'd go back on. I'm at peace knowing I'll most likely be on it form the rest of my life. Helps with depression AND anxiety. No problems drinking while taking it, had three healthy kids while on it.

August 25, 2011 12:12 PM

Effexor is risky. The years that I took Effexor were fantastic, but the withdrawal symptoms are just as bad as everyone says. In fact, after about three years Effexor stopped working for me out of the blue. There was no controlled withdrawal. My symptoms were the "brain zaps" or an "electric shock" feeling in my head. My mind felt like a skipping record. I was severely depressed and cried all the time. That said, I am now starting to take it again after taking Prozac for several years. Prozac doesn't make me feel as good as Effexor did, so I'm taking it again. Hopefully I'll have another few good years on it before I have to push through withdrawal.

August 24, 2011 12:23 AM

Review by MADOJ:

I have been taking Effexor for 4 weeks. The side effects have been miserable. I have tried taking it in the morning, and at night but I'm always tired and dizzy. Sometimes I even feel like a zombie. I must say, the only good thing about Effexor (for me) is it has decreased my anxiety, unless I skip a day ... then watch out and get out of my way. The comments regarding withdrawal scare me. Please tell me this gets better.

August 23, 2011 9:02 PM

After trying multiple different antidepressants (such as, Prozac and Celexa) I was finally put on Effexor. As far as it treating my depression and anxiety, it has helped enormously. BUT the side effects are unreal. Even after a day of missing my 150mg dosage I will experience brain "zaps" or brain "shivers". It is an annoying and scary sensation. I have experienced extreme drowsiness, and yet no weight gain.

July 13, 2011 1:45 AM

I was on Effexor XR for about 4 years (started at age 18, weaned off at 22). Over the years, my dosage fluctuated between 37.5 and 300 mgs. It helped immensely throughout the first year. I was still feeling lethargic and such, but no longer had suicidal thoughts. The only side effects I had were ones that appeared when I'd miss a dose. Night sweats, weird dreams, headaches. Annoying, but basically harmless. After three years of being on this medicine, I realized it was no longer doing things for me that I couldn't do myself. I was supposed to be taking 37.5 mgs daily, but weaned myself off of it over a course of several months (check with your doctor first). I had little to no withdrawal symptoms and no major signs of a returning depression.

July 8, 2011 3:34 PM