Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Review by Dollface226:

It is my wonder pill.

January 12, 2013 12:58 AM

Bad side effects, bad withdrawal.

December 7, 2012 6:02 PM

I was on Effexor for a few months only and found it to be not particularly helpful. I had weight gain, extreme tiredness during the day and feeling 'blah'. I decided to go off them and it took me longer to get off them than I had been taking them. The withdrawal was terrible. I had head spins that would last all day, couldn't focus, extreme dizziness if I turned too quickly etc.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2012 5:04 AM

I have been taking this pill for about four months and It was working and I felt a little better, not so many panic attacks but it didn't help as much as I thought. Be careful when going off Effexor, the withdrawals are horrible. Most pain I have ever felt in my head. Do not just stop taking it. Effexor just wasn't the right one for me.

December 6, 2012 10:36 PM

Review by PurpleBondGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This was one of the better SSRI's I've been on. However, after using it for a few years I began to notice that some of the granules were not getting absorbed into my system. The granules were showing up in my stools completely whole. It worked wonders on my rage and moodiness though.

December 4, 2012 2:25 PM

Review by Lizabell:

First time writing on here. Been on Effexor (instant release tablets) over 4 years. Average dose I hovered around was 400mg/day. At first I liked how it made me WANT to get out of bed in the morning, upped energy levels, & didn't turn me into a Zombie. After a few months of this, I started getting a 2-3 hour block in the day when I'd have indirect immobilizing anxiety. Thus my DOC threw Wellbutrin at me which did tone that down, for awhile. Then very slowly and without me attributing the following behaviors to the Effexor, I started to: take the first half of the day to 'get going', get dizzy 80% of the time & always out of breath, binge drink for a few month-long chunks on end, not sleep, lose weight, become rather apathetic over more & more.

October 26, 2012 5:36 PM

Review by Kiy (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 130 pounds & 19 years old. I took my first dose of Effexor 75 MG. So far, I have experienced nausea, headache, dilated pupils, & drowsiness.

October 9, 2012 8:19 PM

Review by Bsuzy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started about a month ago on 37.5 and want to stay there after reading some of the entries. I feel much better even on this low dose and recommend always doing the lowest dose you can.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2012 10:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Positive. Have not had a recurrence since taking this medication over five years ago.

September 14, 2012 8:59 PM

Review by sweetseraphim (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine was WAY too strong for me. I'm 5'8" and 135 pounds, but the minimum dose knocked me out the first night I started taking it, I had twitchy, bizarre dreams, woke up the next morning feeling "stoned", had a headache and stomachache, shaky hands and the jitters all day and my pupils were hugely dilated. This was all just after 1 dose of the timed-release tabs. Not a good choice for me.

September 5, 2012 11:28 AM

Review by stareast (taken for less than 1 month):

I just started taking Effexor last week for depression, anxiety and racing thoughts. Seems to be working, but I noticed some side effects, like dry mouth and nervousness, but not a big issue. It works much better than Zoloft, Celexa and Serzone, which I've taken in the past. So far, so good.

July 11, 2012 12:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on 75 mg now for about 3 months. Before I was completely out of it, did not want to do anything, would stay at home on the computer all day, suicide thoughts everyday. Now I'm out everyday, going to the gym. All my anger and anxiety, along with the thoughts are gone. Feels great. I highly recommend this medication. I know it will have withdrawal effects when you are getting off it but it is highly worth it, to better your life!

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2012 11:43 PM

I was on this medication for about 3 year for depression/anxiety. During the time I took this medication it completely numbed any emotion that a normal person would get. About six months ago I decided that I was ready to discontinue my use of this medication and slowly reduced my doses. Coming down from this was extremely difficult and painful. I would have the craziest/scariest dreams, intense night sweats, severe headaches, uncontrollable body shaking and muscle twitching, some nausea/vomiting, but the worst of all the side effects was when my heart would race so fast it felt like it was going to break out of my chest, and my heart would feel like it was skipping beats, and each time that happened I would get an intense head rush.

May 11, 2012 11:24 AM

I'm 17, about 125 pounds, female and a senior in high school. I've had depression for a while and started taking Effexor. I strongly encourage trying this medicine for any teens or college students who deal with depression. Helps me concentrate and feel all together in a stable and happy mood. I've had weight loss also only thing that makes me nervous is the withdrawal effects I've read about.

April 10, 2012 8:39 PM

I was recently put on Effexor and I have seen a huge improvement in my motivation and mental clarity. I actually want to get out of bed and do things. I actually want to work out. I don't want to eat all the time anymore. I am severely obese and now after being on it for almost 2 months I have lost about 10 lbs, and I feel great. I haven't noticed any detrimental side effects. It has actually increased my libido, too. I will post if I see any bad changes.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2012 6:04 PM

Review by Ahtibat87:

My experience with Effexor was so bad. The withdrawal was a nightmare, and being on Effexor made me like a zombie. I was not sad but I wasn't happy either. 6 years later I'm completely happy and antidepressant free.

March 25, 2012 5:10 AM

Review by Andy of Wisconsin:

I have been on Effexor for 15 years 150MG per day except for a 1 year period ending about 6 months ago. It is very effective for me. It made me tired when I first started it, but it was worth sticking through that. For my time not taking it, I was on Zoloft which didn't work as well. Effexor has kept me from depression but it does other things for me. First, it reduces my inattentiveness to near nothing. Therefore, I am very productive at whatever I do. Second, it greatly reduces anxiety. Stress does not cripple me any longer while on this medication. Going off the medication has a weird withdrawal symptom that isn't painful, it's just odd. Do not go off the medication without a doctor assisting.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2012 8:50 PM

While effective in decreasing my depression, I developed almost every side effect listed, (including anxiety, muscle soreness, unbearable joint pain, excessive sweating, severe memory loss, GERD, dysuria, brain shivers, hypothyroidism, loss of menstruation) and found myself on medications to treat each of them, ultimately using 19 prescription medications to deal with the side effects. If I could have anticipated the side effects, and the expected difficulty of weaning off this, I would have continued to search for a better alternative.

March 1, 2012 12:26 PM

Review by kmaverikaz:

I have suffered from MDD, GAD, SAD, OCD, panic attacks, agoraphobia and PTSD for the past 25 years. I have tried several other SSRIs and was recently switched to Effexor XR. I was prescribed 37.5 and was to build up to 150mgs. The side effects were so severe I could not get past the initial dose. I took it for the past 6 weeks and it abruptly quit working. I could not tolerate increasing to 75mg. I will be switching to Celexa. The side effects include tachycardia, sweating, hypostatic, extreme blurry vision, nausea, headaches, insomnia and weight gain of 5lbs. I experienced "spatial disorientation" where I would get waves of vertigo. I had great depression relief for about 3 weeks but the side effects were too numerous to tolerate.

January 4, 2012 12:08 AM

I'm a 24 year old female with major depression and anxiety. I've been on nearly every antidepressant I can think of (Prozac, Cymbalta, Abilify, Lexapro...and even a few others) and Effexor has been the only one thus far to be effective. The others either made me an emotionless zombie, or didn't do anything at all. The only side effects I've had were a bit of shakiness for the first week I started taking it, along with some dry mouth. These only lasted a week while my body got used to the medicine. I've had no changes in weight or appetite, which I know is a common concern with this class of drugs. If you've been through the ringer trying to find an antidepressant, I would recommend this to anyone. I also take Buspar daily.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2011 1:07 PM

Effexor gave me my life back again. I was so severely depressed that I had to struggle to find a reason to live everyday, I was very suicidal. I was no longer able to function. 4 weeks after starting Effexor I was returned to my 'normal' self. I was happy and could feel pleasure again and I was excited about life. I have experienced a few minor side effects like constipation and nausea with dosage increases, but the benefits far outweigh the minor side effects!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2011 12:02 PM

Review by Charlie's girl:

My boyfriend passed away...very unexpectantly.We had a wonderful, beautiful relationship...I simply adored him and overnight he's gone. The next day my little brother had open heart surgery, my sister passed away last March after living and taking care of my father with dementia, my mother passed away after a 3 year long battle with cancer. I wanted to stay in bed all day curled up in the fetal position and pray that death would take me just so the pain would stop. But I didn't have that luxury...someone had to pay the bills. I hated to go out in public because I never knew what would trigger a crying jag...I had a true sense of hopelessness. 75 mgs of Effexor saved my life. I'm happy again and laughing and going out and celebrating my life.

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2011 9:02 PM

I started with the 37 mg dose for mild-moderate depression I had experienced this past year. I felt calm and peaceful for the first few weeks. The doctor had me increase the dose to 75mg. I tried for a month to adjust to it, but all I wanted to do was sleep. It took away my energy and I fought fatigue. I reduced back down to 37 mg and felt pretty good for a couple of months, but started to notice trouble responding to people around me. It felt like being in a daze that took some effort to break. I also started to feel out of sorts and frenzied. I decided to stop the medicine a few weeks ago and feel 100% better. No more confusion or anxiety! This medicine was definitely not a good match for my body chemistry.

October 18, 2011 11:05 AM

Review by XmyXoneXandXonlyX:

One of the best medications I have taken for depression, one warning is do not run out of this medication, because you will experience terrible withdrawals, and when you re-take it the nausea is terrible. If I can stay on this medicine for a long time, I will be happy, never had better control of my depression than I do on Effexor.

October 11, 2011 10:55 PM

Review by jmarch911:

It was a horrible experience for me. So many side effects. I used to only have to wear my glasses at times. It eliminated any sexual experiences. I was only on it for 30 days. I called the doctor after 2 weeks to tell him what was going on but he said to give it a month.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate