User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

While effective in decreasing my depression, I developed almost every side effect listed, (including anxiety, muscle soreness, unbearable joint pain, excessive sweating, severe memory loss, GERD, dysuria, brain shivers, hypothyroidism, loss of menstruation) and found myself on medications to treat each of them, ultimately using 19 prescription medications to deal with the side effects. If I could have anticipated the side effects, and the expected difficulty of weaning off this, I would have continued to search for a better alternative.

March 1, 2012 12:26 PM
Review by kmaverikaz: User Rating:

I have suffered from MDD, GAD, SAD, OCD, panic attacks, agoraphobia and PTSD for the past 25 years. I have tried several other SSRIs and was recently switched to Effexor XR. I was prescribed 37.5 and was to build up to 150mgs. The side effects were so severe I could not get past the initial dose. I took it for the past 6 weeks and it abruptly quit working. I could not tolerate increasing to 75mg. I will be switching to Celexa. The side effects include tachycardia, sweating, hypostatic, extreme blurry vision, nausea, headaches, insomnia and weight gain of 5lbs. I experienced "spatial disorientation" where I would get waves of vertigo. I had great depression relief for about 3 weeks but the side effects were too numerous to tolerate.

January 4, 2012 12:08 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm a 24 year old female with major depression and anxiety. I've been on nearly every antidepressant I can think of (Prozac, Cymbalta, Abilify, Lexapro...and even a few others) and Effexor has been the only one thus far to be effective. The others either made me an emotionless zombie, or didn't do anything at all. The only side effects I've had were a bit of shakiness for the first week I started taking it, along with some dry mouth. These only lasted a week while my body got used to the medicine. I've had no changes in weight or appetite, which I know is a common concern with this class of drugs. If you've been through the ringer trying to find an antidepressant, I would recommend this to anyone. I also take Buspar daily.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 7, 2011 1:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor gave me my life back again. I was so severely depressed that I had to struggle to find a reason to live everyday, I was very suicidal. I was no longer able to function. 4 weeks after starting Effexor I was returned to my 'normal' self. I was happy and could feel pleasure again and I was excited about life. I have experienced a few minor side effects like constipation and nausea with dosage increases, but the benefits far outweigh the minor side effects!

November 6, 2011 12:02 PM
Review by Charlie's girl: User Rating:

My boyfriend passed away...very unexpectantly.We had a wonderful, beautiful relationship...I simply adored him and overnight he's gone. The next day my little brother had open heart surgery, my sister passed away last March after living and taking care of my father with dementia, my mother passed away after a 3 year long battle with cancer. I wanted to stay in bed all day curled up in the fetal position and pray that death would take me just so the pain would stop. But I didn't have that luxury...someone had to pay the bills. I hated to go out in public because I never knew what would trigger a crying jag...I had a true sense of hopelessness. 75 mgs of Effexor saved my life. I'm happy again and laughing and going out and celebrating my life.

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 3, 2011 9:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I started with the 37 mg dose for mild-moderate depression I had experienced this past year. I felt calm and peaceful for the first few weeks. The doctor had me increase the dose to 75mg. I tried for a month to adjust to it, but all I wanted to do was sleep. It took away my energy and I fought fatigue. I reduced back down to 37 mg and felt pretty good for a couple of months, but started to notice trouble responding to people around me. It felt like being in a daze that took some effort to break. I also started to feel out of sorts and frenzied. I decided to stop the medicine a few weeks ago and feel 100% better. No more confusion or anxiety! This medicine was definitely not a good match for my body chemistry.

October 18, 2011 11:05 AM
Review by XmyXoneXandXonlyX: User Rating:

One of the best medications I have taken for depression, one warning is do not run out of this medication, because you will experience terrible withdrawals, and when you re-take it the nausea is terrible. If I can stay on this medicine for a long time, I will be happy, never had better control of my depression than I do on Effexor.

October 11, 2011 10:55 PM
Review by jmarch911: User Rating:

It was a horrible experience for me. So many side effects. I used to only have to wear my glasses at times. It eliminated any sexual experiences. I was only on it for 30 days. I called the doctor after 2 weeks to tell him what was going on but he said to give it a month.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 10, 2011 10:28 PM

No side effects after over two years of use... 150mg/day

September 17, 2011 7:12 AM
Review by Dannirae: User Rating:

I was only on venlafaxine for a few weeks and it didn't help much then I read all these reviews about the weight gain and blurred vision and terrible side effects. So I decided to stop taking the medicine since I had the lowest dose possible and only been taking it for a short short time. The withdrawals are almost unbearable. I cry for no reason. I can't sleep I vomit everyday and I can't judge distance with my eyes. I feel like my eyes are just floating in my head. Every time I stand up I get severely dizzy and feel like I can't move.

September 12, 2011 8:20 AM
Review by greck4: User Rating:

I don't usually write reviews, but I feel obliged to do so for this one. In many ways, Effexor helped with my clinical depression and gave me boost of energy that I otherwise didn't get with typical SSRIs. On the other hand within 2-3 weeks of taking it, I felt a sudden energy boost where I felt like I could do a million things at once. Before I could never wake up in the morning and felt groggy, and then all of a sudden I was up at 5:00am to do yoga 5 days a week. This pattern of hyperactivity continued for on end, until finally I flipped out and became suicidal. At this time I was on 200mg of Effexor and could simply not function without it. After the terrible withdrawal of weaning off, I finally feel relaxed.

September 7, 2011 12:40 AM
Review by Normal for now: User Rating:

I took Effexor XR 150mg for a good 10 years for depression. Then, I switched to Zoloft due to what is considered a side-effect of Effexor: elevated liver enzymes. On Zoloft, I felt more anxious than I did on Effexor, but not overly so. It was tolerable. I continued to have same liver enzymes while on Zoloft. It turns out the enzyme issue is not related to the medication alone, if at all. I had a stressful life changing event and felt very anxious. I know I felt much less anxious on Effexor so I asked to be switched back and I was. The doctor made a general statement that he wants me on what works best for me. However, I'm pretty sure he didn't buy my anxiety theory.

September 3, 2011 9:03 PM
Review by Iamok: User Rating:

I have been taking Effexor 300mg for 2 years, and it has saved my life. I didn't care if I died prior to taking it. I never get sleepy or tired, and I can concentrate much better than I used too. My depression is gone.

August 27, 2011 4:20 PM
Review by Sunset60: User Rating:

I've struggled with depression since I was a teenager (and attempted suicide then). In college I started having panic attacks. A few years later I was put on this new medicine called Effexor (after getting no relief from Paxil nor Zoloft) and for the first time in my life I felt relatively normal! I've been on Effexor - 150 mg/day for 20 years now and it has REALLY helped me to function at a high level. I have gone off it several times - VERY slowly, but each time, a few months after being completely off, BANG - unbelievable depression, and I'd go back on. I'm at peace knowing I'll most likely be on it form the rest of my life. Helps with depression AND anxiety. No problems drinking while taking it, had three healthy kids while on it.

August 25, 2011 12:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Effexor is risky. The years that I took Effexor were fantastic, but the withdrawal symptoms are just as bad as everyone says. In fact, after about three years Effexor stopped working for me out of the blue. There was no controlled withdrawal. My symptoms were the "brain zaps" or an "electric shock" feeling in my head. My mind felt like a skipping record. I was severely depressed and cried all the time. That said, I am now starting to take it again after taking Prozac for several years. Prozac doesn't make me feel as good as Effexor did, so I'm taking it again. Hopefully I'll have another few good years on it before I have to push through withdrawal.

August 24, 2011 12:23 AM
Review by MADOJ: User Rating:

I have been taking Effexor for 4 weeks. The side effects have been miserable. I have tried taking it in the morning, and at night but I'm always tired and dizzy. Sometimes I even feel like a zombie. I must say, the only good thing about Effexor (for me) is it has decreased my anxiety, unless I skip a day ... then watch out and get out of my way. The comments regarding withdrawal scare me. Please tell me this gets better.

August 23, 2011 9:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

After trying multiple different antidepressants (such as, Prozac and Celexa) I was finally put on Effexor. As far as it treating my depression and anxiety, it has helped enormously. BUT the side effects are unreal. Even after a day of missing my 150mg dosage I will experience brain "zaps" or brain "shivers". It is an annoying and scary sensation. I have experienced extreme drowsiness, and yet no weight gain.

July 13, 2011 1:45 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on Effexor XR for about 4 years (started at age 18, weaned off at 22). Over the years, my dosage fluctuated between 37.5 and 300 mgs. It helped immensely throughout the first year. I was still feeling lethargic and such, but no longer had suicidal thoughts. The only side effects I had were ones that appeared when I'd miss a dose. Night sweats, weird dreams, headaches. Annoying, but basically harmless. After three years of being on this medicine, I realized it was no longer doing things for me that I couldn't do myself. I was supposed to be taking 37.5 mgs daily, but weaned myself off of it over a course of several months (check with your doctor first). I had little to no withdrawal symptoms and no major signs of a returning depression.

July 8, 2011 3:34 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Effexor for about 2 years and am now coming off it. I have been taking 75mg once per day. I have gained 80 lbs in the years I have been taking it but since I cut back I have lost ten in about a month. My sex drive has gone from almost every night to maybe twice a month (most of the time my mood had mellowed out).

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 25, 2011 11:19 PM
Review by Sunkissedcutie: User Rating:

I discovered this site today while looking for other answers to the generic versions of Effexor XR. I was on Prozac for about 4 years due to my MS and caring for and losing both my husband and mother to Cancer in a 18 month time frame. I asked to switch to something else as Prozac didn't really help. It took a bit to wean me and put me on a low dose of Effexor ER 75mg a day and I eventually got bumped to 150mg a day of Effexor XR. It's been a real life saver for me, I feel normal and do not have days of tears for no reason.

June 20, 2011 8:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Have been on 350mg for the past three years. It has stopped the feeling of daily dread and pain in my chest that I felt for so long before. I still have little energy through the day but can "pull it together" for my time with my kids or to do important tasks. I have gained fifty pounds. I have a difficult time reaching orgasm.

June 6, 2011 9:43 PM

I took Effexor for 10 years. I came off very slowly, no withdrawal. I cut by 1/3 of dose every 2 weeks until I got to 75mg. Then slowed it down. I counted pellets in the caps. 75mg divided by 1/4 of new dosage/2wks 56,42,31,23,17,12,9mg,off. If head tingles come down even slower.

May 19, 2011 9:45 AM
Review by queenb21928: User Rating:

Effexor is awesome for depression.

April 6, 2011 4:54 PM
Review by effectuve for deperession: User Rating:

Good but created impotence.

March 5, 2011 1:24 AM
Review by groovyrobbie: User Rating:

After taking many antidepressants with temporary satisfaction and happiness for a few months, I decided to try Effexor for almost a year. It worked good for my anxiety and anger issues but not for my depression (It had the usual mild side effects like weight gain). Now I'm back on Lexapro (as this and Cymbalta worked best for me). To all: Don't be alarmed from all the horror stories of Effexor withdrawal. I weaned off with no worse discontinue symptoms then other medicines! As a matter of fact, I love the electric brain zaps! LOL.

February 4, 2011 9:43 PM