User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor Review Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

"Effexor might have saved my life because at the time I was given it I had damn near given up hope. Paxil and Zoloft did nothing. Depakote attacked my liver. Lexapro made me numb. Then Effexor was given to me. 2 weeks after taking it I felt better. 4 weeks later, I was back doing things again. Within a year I had all my interests and hobbies back. Cons: 1. Withdrawal is terrible. When I miss a dose I feel it. Neck pain. Headache. 2. I've found that I had to increase the dose after two years of usage 75 mg 3x times a day holds me. 3. Not really a con, but when more stress then usual I relapse for a few days with depression but it goes back to normal if you increase dose for awhile."

jdofhkls June 24, 2013

"Just changed from Zoloft (10 years) to Effexor. Have tried to get off Zoloft previously but had horrendous anxiety. The Doctor merged the Effexor with a low dose of Zoloft for 1 week and now on 150mg Effexor for the last 2 days. So far so good. Pretty scary waiting for Zoloft withdrawals, but optimistic."

RobDogg May 29, 2013

"I have been on Effexor for couple of months and I have to say it really works. I am telling you if I wasn't on this medication I wouldn't know how to function right and there would be probably a lot of crying and not wanting to do anything and beating myself up which I hate and now I feel so much better."

may2013 May 18, 2013

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'll start by telling you that I tried both Celexa and Lexapro. Celexa did fairly well, but Lexapro...that's a story for another time. I went to my doctor and told her I couldn't do Lexapro anymore. She prescribed me venlafaxine. In all honesty, I could tell a difference within the first few days. My panic attacks were fewer and further between, and I felt the dark cloud lifting. I've been on it for approximately two months now and haven't had any crazy side effects like I did with the other SSRIs. I suppose I'm still in the trial phase but I have no reason to dislike it yet. A miracle pill? Well, maybe. That's not to say that I don't get depressed again every now and then, but I'm generally content."

CABCNA3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on 75 mg for two months now, started at a baby dose of 37.5 about 3 months ago. I can honestly say I woke up feeling the difference and the burst of energy. Only complaints are if you forget to take a dose you're not in for a good day until you take your next dose. I vomit and have a terrible headache, and also with the medication I found that I had a couple bad lows while getting used to it. But as long as you keep up with your dose and don't mess around with taking it you should be very satisfied with the result."

Dar (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2013

"Had weight gain, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, anorgasmia, bad withdrawal symptoms."

Londep (taken for 10 years or more) May 3, 2013

"I have been on Effexor XR on and off for about 14 years. At first it seems to work but then I end up going back to where I was and then worse. I have suicidal thoughts at all times. I'm depressed and agitated even more so now than ever. If I get an up dose I sweat more. I don't know what to do. "

dougsmommy (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2013

"I've been on Effexor for 7 years now...after a crazy up-bringing coupled with drug and alcohol abuse as a teenager I spiraled into a deep depression after my wife died 13 yrs ago. I still have bouts of anxiety but they are short lived. I try to avoid people that trigger situations where I might start to feel like an anxiety attack is coming. I had a huge weight gain and struggle with that, I've lost 80 lbs so far due to a gastric bypass,and am on only 25 mgs down from 150 when I started."

flying low March 25, 2013

"I have been on Effexor for about 6 months now. I was prescribed it for anxiety and social anxiety. My social anxiety is basically gone. I still get a little bit of anxiety but it is way better than it used to be. However, if I forget to take it I get very bad withdraw symptoms. But, I consider it worth it."

Anonymouiu March 23, 2013

"I had tried a number of different prescription meds before Effexor, none of which seemed to help. I can honestly say this worked the best, and with it I was able to get out of bed and begin to function again. It really was one of those medications that did exactly what it was supposed to. I continued to take Effexor for three years, after which time I wanted to stop taking it and begin to manage my life without medicines. This is when the problems began. I can honestly say that it took me almost nine months to wean myself off Effexor. I no longer have to take medication but would warn anyone being prescribed this that it is not an easy medicine to stop taking."

30 something female March 18, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Effexor for 18 years. Yes, that's right: 18 YEARS. It saved my life and then some. I had very severe clinical depression back in 1995. I was suicidal and anxious to the nth degree. Effexor has brought joy back to my life and has enhanced my creativity and sexual desire. I have been blessed with this medication. It was the first anti-depressant my doctor prescribed and most likely the last. A match made in Paradise: Effexor and I."

Mustang Jack (taken for 10 years or more) February 21, 2013

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been having depression for about 10 years. It took a long time to get the right one. Eventually I was put on Effexor XR. Started from 37.5 then finally 300mg per day. Effexor gave me a lot of side effects but I found it to be very good making me feel myself again. There was only one major problem, I got addicted to GAMBLING even from the day I started with 37.5. I was in major dept. I am now trying other medicines (Seroquel) but I am not the same anymore, very lazy, no motivation. Since I have stopped Effexor I have stopped gambling. And as for the depression, I am on trial with Seroquel. Wish me luck!!"

Dwarf January 18, 2013

"My dr prescribed this for my depression, bipolar disorder and panic attacks. Within an hour of taking it, I couldn't keep my eyes open. 4 hours later, I was wide awake, jittery, nauseous, and having the worst panic attack I had ever had. Needless to say, I didn't try to take another dose. Even if my body had to get used to the medication."

InTheSouth January 13, 2013

"It is my wonder pill."

Dollface226 January 12, 2013

"Bad side effects, bad withdrawal."

Anonymous December 7, 2012

"I was on Effexor for a few months only and found it to be not particularly helpful. I had weight gain, extreme tiredness during the day and feeling 'blah'. I decided to go off them and it took me longer to get off them than I had been taking them. The withdrawal was terrible. I had head spins that would last all day, couldn't focus, extreme dizziness if I turned too quickly etc. "

Anonymous December 7, 2012

"I have been taking this pill for about four months and It was working and I felt a little better, not so many panic attacks but it didn't help as much as I thought. Be careful when going off Effexor, the withdrawals are horrible. Most pain I have ever felt in my head. Do not just stop taking it. Effexor just wasn't the right one for me."

Anonymous December 6, 2012

"This was one of the better SSRI's I've been on. However, after using it for a few years I began to notice that some of the granules were not getting absorbed into my system. The granules were showing up in my stools completely whole. It worked wonders on my rage and moodiness though."

PurpleBondGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2012

"First time writing on here. Been on Effexor (instant release tablets) over 4 years. Average dose I hovered around was 400mg/day. At first I liked how it made me WANT to get out of bed in the morning, upped energy levels, & didn't turn me into a Zombie. After a few months of this, I started getting a 2-3 hour block in the day when I'd have indirect immobilizing anxiety. Thus my DOC threw Wellbutrin at me which did tone that down, for awhile. Then very slowly and without me attributing the following behaviors to the Effexor, I started to: take the first half of the day to 'get going', get dizzy 80% of the time & always out of breath, binge drink for a few month-long chunks on end, not sleep, lose weight, become rather apathetic over more & more."

Lizabell October 26, 2012

"I am 130 pounds & 19 years old. I took my first dose of Effexor 75 MG. So far, I have experienced nausea, headache, dilated pupils, & drowsiness."

Kiy (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2012

"I started about a month ago on 37.5 and want to stay there after reading some of the entries. I feel much better even on this low dose and recommend always doing the lowest dose you can. "

Bsuzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2012

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Positive. Have not had a recurrence since taking this medication over five years ago."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2012

"This medicine was WAY too strong for me. I'm 5'8" and 135 pounds, but the minimum dose knocked me out the first night I started taking it, I had twitchy, bizarre dreams, woke up the next morning feeling "stoned", had a headache and stomachache, shaky hands and the jitters all day and my pupils were hugely dilated. This was all just after 1 dose of the timed-release tabs. Not a good choice for me."

sweetseraphim (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2012

"I just started taking Effexor last week for depression, anxiety and racing thoughts. Seems to be working, but I noticed some side effects, like dry mouth and nervousness, but not a big issue. It works much better than Zoloft, Celexa and Serzone, which I've taken in the past. So far, so good."

stareast (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2012

"I have been on 75 mg now for about 3 months. Before I was completely out of it, did not want to do anything, would stay at home on the computer all day, suicide thoughts everyday. Now I'm out everyday, going to the gym. All my anger and anxiety, along with the thoughts are gone. Feels great. I highly recommend this medication. I know it will have withdrawal effects when you are getting off it but it is highly worth it, to better your life!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2012

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next