User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Postpartum Depression 1 reviews 7 medications

Bulimia 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Effexor reviews 174 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Effexor

For Depression "I started taking Effexor in 1995. I had GAD with some depression. For some reason, I let the Dr continue prescribing for 12 years, I was only on 75mg and since it worked, I did not want to temp fate. Last year I started to have worse anxiety and went to one of the highly regarded MD's in NYC. He prescribed Remeron and Effexor. Eventually the dose was increased from 75 mg to 300mg. It had no beneficial effects. Worse is getting off of it. I'm now down to 37.5 mgs over the last two weeks. The brain zaps and anxiety are tough. I think this drug should be illegal, The withdrawal effects are awful. I recommend trying something else unless this is your last resort."

CPA50 (taken for 10 years or more) May 14, 2015

For Depression "I am 140 lb, 29 year old woman. I was prescribed 150 mg of Venlafaxine XR. I only took it for 5 days due to the horrendous side effects. I experienced dry mouth, excessive sweating, blurred vision, constipation, and increased heart rate. I wasn't on it long enough to determine its effectiveness; I wasn't willing to deal with side effects. My doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and I have not experienced any withdrawal symptoms."

KC85 May 14, 2015

For Depression "Horrible drug, will never use it again. My doctor perscribed the lowest possible daily dose to try to see if it would help for anxiety and depression. After taking it for one week I had nausea, constant sweating, made my head feel tight and foggy, did not sleep more than 20 mins at a time because I was constantly waking with nightmares. Been off effexor for over a month. Sweats gone, nausea gone, feeling much better but can't sleep more than 4 hours straight then being awake for hours. I would not recommend this drug to any one. Get your doctor to try you on something different first.."

sara pezzini (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

For Depression "I only give it two stars because it did relieve some depression while I was on it. After being on it for about 2 months, I realized that I wasn't feeling like myself at all. I felt like I was losing my personality and ambition. So I decided to taper off, and my doctor had me decrease 37.5 mg per week until I was off the med. During the tapering I didn't notice anything major side-effect-wise, but the second day I was completely off of it, everything kicked in. I felt like I was going to die, with major brain zaps and horrible migraines being consistent for a week. I also gained 15 pounds in what seemed like a few days. It's now been a month since I've been off of this awful drug, and I still have brain zaps, and the weight gain too."

No more effexor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2015

For Depression "I developed depression when I was 14 after being bullied at school for some time. I decided that I had enough of all the crying and suicidal thoughts just before my 16th. My doctor put me on Zoloft April 2014, which gave me urinary retention. He swapped me to another one which I can't remember the name of, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to it. Finally, I was put on Effexor for 6 months until I was ready to come off them in October 2014. I experienced no depression for a few months, until I became stressed with school. Started Effexor again April 2015, and will continue on it because it works very, very well on me. At first I experienced a little bit of nausea with Effexor, but it passes after a couple of weeks then it's perfect!"

Rachel1998 May 2, 2015

For Depression "I've only been on this medication for about 2 weeks. That said, I've slept almost every day since starting it. I know sleepiness is a common side effect but this is excessive. Almost no energy throughout the day. Nonstop yawning. My depression is still there, anxiety has been better. I just feel very drained and apathetic. I'll stick with it for a while longer because I know it will take a while for the full affect to kick in. hoping for good results!"

SleepinBeauty April 19, 2015

For Depression "Total life saver. Took away the pain of existence been on it for 7 years, used to binge drink a lot but it interfered. Don't drink anymore, no intention to stop Effexor."

Anonymous April 2, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have experienced chronic anxiety, panic attacks, and depression for 20+ years. I've been on several different medications over the years, but none of them worked entirely. My depression increased over the years, because I believed, nothing could help my problems. I was admitted to a psychiatric unit recently due to suicidal ideations. The attending doctor said he would like to start me on Effexor. I would not allow myself to read the side effects of this medicine, due to my anxiety and the possibility of developing psychosomatic symptoms. Within a week, I began feeling hope, excitement for life, and my anxiety was nearly gone! I've been on this medicine now for over a month, and I have never felt this good my entire life! Try this Med!!!"

Reidee (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2015

For Depression "Effexor helped me see the reality of my life when I couldn't. I took Zoloft for a while (up to 150mg) and I felt more numb than "happy". When I switched to a family doctor from my psychiatrist, they recommended Effexor XR; I've been taking 75 mg a day for the past four months and my life has done a complete 180. No depression, very little anxiety, and I finally have CONFIDENCE. I have more friends now than I ever did, a wonderful new relationship that I could never have foreseen myself happening, and I'm performing really well academically. Best decision of my life was taking Effexor- I can immediately see a difference in my thought processes when I forget to take it for two days at a time."

reeemuslupin March 28, 2015

For Depression "I had been on Zoloft (50mg/day) for depression for 8 years. Following a major chronic health condition, a medical specialist was concerned the Zoloft was no longer effective. Increasing to 100md/day was disastrous - head spins, dry dry mouth, vertigo - so a psychiatrist recommended Effexor. Initial 75mg/day then 150mg/day after a fortnight. Initially I was unable to orgasm but this lasted only about a month (same when I started Zoloft). Main concern is weird dreams most nights. The only thing I can tie this to is the Effexor. Have been researching online and it seems I'm not the only one. What a relief to discover - I was becoming quite concerned (and irritated). But hey, I feel soooo much better that I can live with it. I'm smiling again."

LGG March 28, 2015

For Depression "I am taking 35 mg and it works great. I have strange dreams but that's about it for side effects.It doesn't interfere with sexual health like a lot of anti-depressants do.I can see staying on it for as long as I need to.I am glad that I tried, also lessened fibromyalgia outbreaks."

Anonymous March 5, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I switched to Effexor after taking Prozac for years and it just didn't seem to be working for me anymore. I'm so glad My Doctor suggested I switch to Effexor. I've been taking for about 2 years and it seems to be working great for me. I very rarely have a down day. You must take as directed and not miss dosages. I can't miss more than 1 days dosage or I will get nauseous and dizzy."

Happy Me February 25, 2015

For Depression "Would have been good for just depression, but I am suffering from anxiety too, and that seemed to get worse. So overall, didn't help. Might be good for just depression though."

KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Very helpful medicine."

tammyever... (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2014

For Depression "This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!"

lavendarles December 16, 2014

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I am a 21 year old female. I was on Prozac for ten years (40 mg at the end) before switching to Effexor (37.5 mg at first, 262.5 mg now) because I was having issues with anxiety. I was ok for a while then I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor increased my dose and although it did take away the misery and suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't describe myself as happy. I feel constantly tired, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. I can't work and social situations exhaust me. It took me a while to realize Effexor might be responsible for some of these symptoms. I am talking to a psychiatrist about changing my medication but I'm very worried about the infamous withdrawl from Effexor."

Lane123456 December 7, 2014

For Depression "Been taking this for years, helps me out a lot."

stoked December 5, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "When I first took Effexor I was in the first few days a bit jittery, but then I felt like I hadn't felt in years or ever. It was such a God send. Then with doctors advice after approx 12 mths I went off it. I went on it two more times, but my dose was higher and higher- no real help to me. Then a third time, I went off my head on it. The anxiety was woeful, so severe. I phoned up the help line for mental health and got the usual spiel- give it time, yes, it can cause that, speak with you doctor and so on. I read how this can happens then wamo it works. But I had already been on it before and never had such side effects. It was horrible, and scary. My personal experience is two opposites. Good and horrible."

Eliza_nsw November 25, 2014

For Depression "I have taken medications for 10 years, and they have, basically, helped me cope with depression. Effexor is outstanding. I take it in the morning, and it helps all day."

missykfish (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 25, 2014

For Depression "I started this medicine in nursing school. Very much so needed. I started seeing myself with less worry, and a more of a "whatever" type of mentality. I figured that worked for me. However, my biggest problem has been the weight gain. Before I knew it I gained atleast 25 lbs. I'm a very active person and I do what wait I eat, especially since I am a cardiac nurse. Also make sure you NEVER miss a day of the medication. My side effects would be vertigo and shooting nerve pains in my head. I just upped my dosage to 150mg hoping it will increase my energy and help with weight loss. I was really bad off emotionally before so besides everything above, I have my life back."

The cardiac nurse October 23, 2014

For Depression "Worked quite well for sometime. Had side effects which were attributed to another medicine I was on at the time. Through trial and error it was discovered the other medicine was not at fault. I was having kidney problems along with frequent edema in my legs and feet. Also constant mucus and tightness in throat. Helped with depression but side effects became serious. Also weight gain. Dr tapered me off this medicine."

nynyer (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2014

For Depression "Celexa stopped working and I was put on Effexor. My panic attacks are worse then they have ever been, my depression is totally off the charts and I physically shake all the time. The irritability is by far the worst part for me. I'm forever angry now on this medication. My friends and family have noticed a big difference in my personality. Definitely getting of of this medication!"

j1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2014

For Depression "Switched from Paxil 20mg to Effexor 75mg. On Paxil I just couldn't lose weight and my insurance wanted me to try an SRNI before they would pay for the newer meds like Brintellix. At first I noticed a decrease in anxiety THEN I went to work!! My job is very stressful and I have to be SPOT on!! First I noticed anxiety returning then that I was clumsy..dropping things! I then started noticing numbness and tingling in my fingers and then waking up with numb arms which would not wake up for up to 7hrs!!! I did some research and noticed that numbness/tingling of the extremities is a side effect for 20% of people taking Effexor. The numbness scared me to death! I immediately went to my Shrink and got off this damn drug! I'm going to Lexapro! Ugh!"

Cancer Crab September 23, 2014

For Depression "Was so excited to try Effexor XL and did for the past 6 years. Well, I didn't realize that it made me anhedonia, or without feeling towards a lot of things. I just went on my merry way, but would do nothing....sat and watched TV, couldn't get anything done. Everything was just Great!.....that is what I thought....then I started gaining weight......gradually, but I mean 60-70# over the past 6 years or so.....but just kept on eating. Then I thought I have to do something about this. I gradually took myself off, but WOW the side effects of the withdrawl was unbelievable. My son told me never to do that again...and I told him see.....this medication has so changed me.....and I will never take that again....!Trying to lose this weight now"

Kayde September 23, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "I use venlafaxine for major depression and to help with migraines. When on it my headaches have decreased."

cowbranch (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 2, 2014