User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 16 reviews 46 medications

7.8
Depression 198 reviews 77 medications

6.4
Postpartum Depression 1 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Effexor reviews 217 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Effexor

For Depression "Not worth the side effects and withdrawal symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2016

For Depression "I'm only 18 years old and I have been put on some of the worst drugs ever. From Zoloft, concerta to vevance to Prozac and now Effexor. Effexor was actually a little bit worse from Prozac with me. Both of these drugs I quit having regular periods. But, especially with Effexor I had cramps almost the whole month rather than the week of my period. I craved food less I found it difficulty to stay hydrated. I have nightmares almost every night. I've been on drugs since I was 13. Effexor makes everything difficult to remember. I've attempted to go cold turkey it does not work. The dizzy spells, muscle spasms, stomach cramps increase. When they wear off I find myself having more panic attacks and depressing thoughts. I'm only on the 75 mg."

Kittylover777 January 24, 2016

For Depression "I stopped taking Topamax for mood disorder due to side effects of tingling on fingers and legs. I was recently prescribed 75 mg Effexor ER for chronic depression the generic. I started on the JAN16th noticed be loss of appetite first day, and 21Jan16 weighed in at 228.2 from 234 @ 5'6. My mood has also improved, now I have a bit more energy, and feel hopeful despite my situation not looking that way. I will be adding Wellbutrin with my Effexor. I hope the depression continues to get better and hoping to lose 70-80 lbs. as well. Give it time if it isn't working try something until you find the pill(s) for you, different pills work for different people. We all deserve a better quality of life then we had before. Good Luck"

Queencess (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

For Depression "Was very depressed and couldn't sleep. Started on 37.5mg twice a day then doubled. My mood has improved a little but not my sleep. No interest in sex. Can't eat - have lost two stones. Don't know what to do for the best! Not suicidal anymore at least."

Sally867463 January 16, 2016

For Depression "Awesome! Changed my life for the better completely. Side effects are minimal but my mood has stabilized like never before. I wish I was medically compliant earlier. This stuff has changed my life for the better!"

Aussie Paul (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

For Depression "This is a terrible pill and I wouldn't recommend anybody to start this med unless you are ready for the bad side effects of coming off of this med when it doesn't work . This med cause me to lose about 3 years of memory lose and almost my marriage."

Ellen43 (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2016

For Depression "I tried Effexor about eight ago, for a few weeks. Terrible medication! Racing thoughts, my anxiety level went skyrocketing. Soon when I started using the drug, I started to emerge strong and badly violent obsessive thoughts, albeit I am usually very kind, easy going and non violent person. No, I did not implement these thoughts, thank goodness, because I understood theme as obsessive thoughts, which were caused by the drug. I had no appetite and had to force my self to eat or drink. It was really scary. It took weeks to recovery. I was suggested to try it again last year, I said absolutely no! Never!"

Kristiina (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

For Depression "I was given Effexor after Lexapro stopped helping me. I was on it approx 1 year. But what I know now, that I wish I would have known then.....the withdrawals are horrible!!! I am dizzy all the time, feel like the room is spinning. Pharmacist said this could last up to 3 months. I went off of it very slowly! I have been without it for about a month now. I have never been an addict of any kind, but I feel like one with this. I know that taking more will make these side effects go away, and I think about this pill all day every day. PLEASE research before you start this medication. I would not wish this on my worst enemy!!"

911Dispatcher December 21, 2015

For Depression "I would highly recommend this medication. I tried multiple SSRI's like prozac, zoloft, abilify, and welbutrin and this worksd far better than those. For once I actually feel happy, talkative, and good. Do not stop taking this medication cold turkey or withdrawal effects will be bad. You should always taper over an extended period of time."

johncena December 11, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm currently on venlafaxine, 300mg/day, and have been on it for 6 months now. This stuff works beautifully for me. I had/have MDD, GAD, SAD, and took Paxil for 10 years, which worked quite well until 8 months ago. I was scared of switching because of the fact that not all anti-depressants work for everyone, and I was terrified of fully reverting back to my suicidal, petrified old self. My psychiatrist was able to convince me after a couple months to go for it. On the venlafaxine I feel calm, HAPPY, able to concentrate, mildly euphoric, and better than I did in my early days of taking Paxil. This stuff is hit or miss for different people, but don't be scared to try it if you haven't. And give it time to work."

Mike001 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015

For Depression "I have been on Zoloft, Lexapro and Effexor. Effexor has been the one that worked for me, the other two were nightmares. I took Effexor during a particular bad time after high school and it saved my life. I had wanted to die back then. Just recently these past couple years I've noticed my depression creeping back and the death of a family member has added some anxiety in there as well. I told my doctor I needed something or I was gonna spiral downward. I am taking the lowest dosage 37.5 MG I believe. It's been two weeks and I've had some expected side effects. Nausea, constipation, trouble sleeping, and a little bit of dizziness. Nothing terrible. Within three or four days I noticed a change. It's worked for me and I'm glad I'm back on it."

acadia05 December 10, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I stopped taking this medicine briefly, for around 5 days, due to the "speed effect" and had to go right back on it, due to brain zaps!! I was (and still am) only taking 75 mg daily (once in the am). I take 1 mg of Xanax daily, but if I take it AFTER the Effexor, it won't work. I decided to switch it around and take it BEFORE the antidepressant and it works a LITTLE better, but not much. I used to take it early in the afternoon and was up all night. Now as long as I take it before 1 pm, I sleep fine. I've been taking it since January of 2014 and have noticed me being much calmer, still anxious at times, but much better before prescribed to me! It DOES cause, weight loss, drowsiness and fatigue if I take it while lying down."

Costillo December 7, 2015

For Depression "I've been on depression and anxiety medicine my whole life. I've dealt with some crappy medications EFFEXOR was by far the worst thing ever. I'm a 20 year old college student so I need to always be motivated. This medicine has caused everything in my life to go down hill. My grades are falling, I'm constantly angry, and feel sick and not wanting to eat. I LOVE TO EAT so this concerned me very much. And today I wasn't able to get my pills refilled in time, because I've been ridiculously lazy. So now I'm going through the flu symptoms that come along with this medication if you don't take it. I feel like balling my eyes out. Because every move I make right now makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Don't take this medication. It's not worth it."

Moe20 December 1, 2015

For Depression "I wanted to be happy and better liked all around. Well, depression subsided, was able to apply for jobs, handled my father's death better than I should have (numb.) Landed a job with the post office, thought Effexor was sent from the heavens. Wrong! Gave me severe blurred vision. I first thought that maybe I needed new glasses. So, I told myself I'd make that my first priority when I get my first check from the post office. Well, I was hired for a job that requires driving. Needless to say, I lost my job immediately after I had gotten the job due to unable to see things (curbs, street signs, license plates) clearly. Been off for over a month, and vision remains blurred. Have reapplied at PO, no call backs."

Kcscholvin November 26, 2015

For Depression "I had been on cipralex (lexapro) for about a year when I noticed I was feeling too tired all the time for my liking. I asked about SNRI's because they tend to give more "energy". I got switched to Effexor and didn't have a good experience at all. I couldn't stop thinking about terrible things, I had bad anxiety, excessive sweating at night and my heart would race too much too often. I had to get off after 9 weeks because it was not working for me at all. It made me really appreciate the escitalopram I was taken before. Clearly different antidepressants work differently for others. I'm just sharing my own experience. Some may do really well on Effexor, unfortunately I didn't."

mcpickle November 24, 2015

For Depression "If i could i would give this a 0. i was put on Effexor for anxiety, the little depression that i had and i was told by my doctor that it would help with nausea. All was fine for a while, but when i ran out of the pills i would get very violently ill and could barely see straight. Effexor messed with me emotionally, it made me more depressed and had a opposite effect on me. NOW getting off the pills was the worst. it took 6 months from 150mg to 0. brain zaps, could barely walk in a straight line, walls would be moving and feeling sick 24/7. My advise to anyone is take Effexor with caution and just remember your body will become dependent on Effexor."

kingproductions18 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 10, 2015

For Depression "I was prescribed effexor on Monday and I have had the worst experience with it. Its now Saturday and I can't sleep for more than like 2 hours at a time I can't eat and I feel so foggy worst experience ever"

Rachaelrs October 31, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Don't take it. Your emotions become dull and feel fake. Even your laughter feels fake. Your sleep becomes horrible. You overeat because you don't care anymore. The first week you feel like you're on meth. It feels great. Then it wears away and you become a dull and empty mess with memory problems and no motivation to do anything including getting off of the medicine. It's easier just to take it. I'm in my second week of withdrawal. I would just take 8-10 beads when I would get dizzy and it would go away. ez-pz. My depression did come back even worse. Maybe it's my minds way of telling me I'm not doing anything to make my life better. Maybe I should change my life instead of taking a pill, especially this pill."

AnotherDanApparently (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2015

For Depression "Burned areas on the tongue with discoloration and blisters"

Rnbsnjd October 23, 2015

For Depression "I am now in the final phases of weaning off effexor. When I started this drug I thought it was amazing, it was a miracle drug I wasn't having my usual major mood swings and panic attacks were less, but as the weeks went on it was less an less effective. I missed a pill once and made sure that I never did again because of the immediate withdrawal I had felt worse than I ever had before. About 4 months into taking this drug I started to experience side effects and oh man are they awful! I mistook the side effects and thought increasing the dose would fix the issue, but nope it just increased the severity .So now I am in the final stages of discontinuing effexor and I feel awful. I wouldn't advise not taking the drug, as it works great for some."

Kat782 October 13, 2015

For Depression "Was on Effexor for a little over a year and a half. I am a 25 year old female, approximately 5'5". When I began taking this medication I was sitting around 165, I was prescribed 37.5 mg after switching doctors due to moving, everything worked fine until I was on it for about 6 months, no side effects, no crazy reactions. After the 6 month period I began feeling slower, less emotion, yet increased anger at little things a couple of times a month. Forgetting this pill was never an option as the nausea and headaches were out of control. I finally went back yesterday to be switched off it to something different and was prescribed Wellbutrin, so today is my first full day off and my clarity is slightly back just beginning a day without it."

Bmerce02 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2015

For Depression "I was put on EFFEXOR for depression & anxiety. (Was on PAXIL for many years) I told the nurse /practitioner I felt pretty good but always wondered if there was "something better"After starting on EFFEXOR I did have vivid dreams,and headachy,nausea & dizziness and unable to have an intense orgasm (always fell short.)The big problem came when I ran out of pills and they wouldn't refill until I saw a nurse. So w/o my pills for 3 days..OMG! Terrible withdrawals..dripping w sweat,terrible headaches, insomnia, nausea, diarrhea to feeling hopeless & extreme dizziness AWFUL!!! DON'T RUN OUT! I was terrified of going off the pill (switching to wellbutrin) Day two on 1/2 tab and so far so good!:) effexor may have its place..just not w ME!:) you need to wean off them slowly!!!"

51 yr old woman October 8, 2015

For Depression "Effexor has helped me, but it took weeks for the initial side effects to go down enough for me to be comfortable. I could hardly eat and sleep for a week. It got better over time, but it was painfully slow and after a few weeks on the stuff, I was exhausted. The side effects never went away completely but I can manage to eat and sleep enough now. Effexor also makes me have really intense, long, complex dreams. They are usually quite interesting and I enjoy having them for the most part. Sometimes its hard getting back to the real world after having woken up with such interesting stories and intricating plotlines in my head, but its worth it in my opinion. Life is more manageable now."

DiegoXander October 5, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took Effexor for many years. I believe I was becoming resistant to it because it wasn't addressing my depression anymore. I tapered off as slowly as possible and I can safely say it is the worst withdrawal I have ever had in my life. Nausea, dizziness, sickly feeling, huge brain zaps, lethargy, headaches. It was horrible. I am so glad to be off of it. My new medication, wellbutrin and lexapro are much better in controlling my chronic major depression. I will never be off drugs, but I would never take this drug again."

Tinteardrop (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "17 years ago I had a breakdown with anxiety and depression - tried aropax and it was hell on earth. Changed to efexor, it started working after 3 weeks. I've been on it for 17 years or so on various doses between 150 and 375 and it's been amazing. I worry about health side effects but it's been a life saver, no longer a wreck but can cope."

Meeee12345 September 19, 2015