User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 18 reviews 47 medications

7.3
Depression 211 reviews 79 medications

6.3
Postpartum Depression 1 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Effexor reviews 232 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Effexor

For Major Depressive Disorder "It took 3 years to figure out that it was the Effexor that was causing my constipation. I was given MORE prescriptions to counter-act, but that just didn't work-actually moved me to beyond the other end of the spectrum. After forgetting a dose and experiencing the withdrawal symptoms, I immediately wanted to get off, but because I really didn't have any other options, I just continued on. I have tried many other different medications to help cope with depression and anxiety-Effexor seemed to work on the brain, but what it did to my guts is far worse. Multiple imaging, ER visits, unnecessary surgery and even a trip to the Mayo Clinic to figure out why I couldn't poop. To me, Effexor is POISON"

dgd84 May 5, 2016

For Depression "Effexor has been absolutely brilliant for me. I was on and off Lexapro for years, it made the anxiety less but I felt blunted and almost more depressed as there was no meaning in my life. I have hardly any side effects with Effexor (75mg). nausea the first couple weeks. Excess sweat for about 6 months. Orgasms slightly less intense, but still very enjoyable and probably easier to reach as I'm more relaxed. I find I have less control over sugar/carb cravings and am a bit lower energy and have thus gained some weight - maybe 5 kilos. All in all, I was very reluctant to try this, but it has changed my life for the better. Sometimes worry about withdrawal and safety in pregnancy - but I think Effexor saved my life, so that's the main thing!"

bluejuice (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

For Depression "It changed my life. 48 years of just dealing with anxiety and depression not wanting to be on medication. With the onset of pre-menopause the depression was unbearable and more feelings of hopelessness. My doctor prescribed 75 mg and I feel alive again. The torment of paranoia, anxiety and the depression are gone."

BAC67 April 19, 2016

For Depression "I was angry all the time and miserable, the doctor prescribed effexor 75's. The first few days I felt wonderful, better than I'd felt for years. After that it was the same old, same old but I wasn't angry. anymore. I started getting really bad sweats, I would be just sitting there and sweat would start rolling down my face. I also started grinding my teeth and picking at sores on my arms and back. I went back to the doctor, she upped the medication to 150. The sweating has stopped, I am working on the teeth grinding and the picking. I was hoping to feel as good as I did when I first started taking the pills but I don't. Insurance only covers price of generic, pharmacist has me on program that has Effexor makers pay part too"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2016

For Depression "I had a lot of side effects on Effexor 37mg- dry mouth, constipation, increased heart rate and blood pressure, ringing in ears, nausea, shakiness, more anxiety and so on. I don't remember having all these with Lexapro or Zoloft a few years ago. At least not to the same degree as Effexor and if there was any side effects they went away after a few weeks. I switched back to Zoloft 25mg after 3 weeks and 3 days in I already feel better - no more feeling wired or jittery. Effexor is not the med for me. It did help the depression, but the crazy side effects aren't worth it to me. I do have a friend that's been on it awhile and it work great for her."

mighty1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

For Depression "I've been on effexor for over 10 years now,it was good at first before I took it I couldn't control my anger,but I've had several bad years separation domestic violence and my children and I were homeless things with those matters are starting to get a little better now,but I'm finding I'm feeling so sad and down thoughts of suicide and I'm good sometimes and other times I cry myself to sleep I really don't know if its working anymore I'm currently on 75 mg"

Heavan and hell April 14, 2016

For Depression "Went on Effexor Aug 2015 through Oct 2015, improved depression, however, did not really feel any joy either. Effexor helped with diet, appetite declined, which I was happy with, as it allowed me to lose weight. Effexor/Venlafaxine did cause me to get angry, and acquire a bad temper on occasion. The primary problem I had with effexor/venlafaxine though was that it caused terrible constipation. No matter how good my diet was, it didn't matter. I ate steamed vegetables and fruit, with occasional lean meats, cut out junk food. I took psyllium every day, added Miralax, and drank plenty of fluids. I had no choice but to come off the Venlafaxine, bowel movements came back about 5-6 days later. I did have minor withdrawal with dizziness."

rb1979 April 9, 2016

For Depression "I took this medicine about 6 years ago for depression and PTSD . This is a horrible medication, doctor I saw told me it was a magic drug for depression. Magic as in the sense it is god awful and turned me into a monster. I went from being depressed to being super depressed. I think I suffered from all of the side effects listed, and now that I had a genetic test to find out why medications didn't work on me , I know why. Being a poor metabolizer made it so the medications build up in my system and I get the horrible side effects, and this one was no different. The withdrawal from this was god awful almost unbearable, from the brain zaps, to the uncontrolled crying, all the way to a 1 day hospital stay. Stay away"

Ptsddude (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

For Depression "if you want to try this drug, make sure you're prepared to either stay on it forever or be able to take at least 1 month off from your life to try to get this out of your system. I've been on other psychiatric drugs and I'm all for them. They really help get you through rough episodes, therefore I'm not a scathing anti drug, crunchy all natural person. However, I can say this is one nasty, nasty drug. I feel like I've been dumping poison in my system for the last 2 years. 3 weeks tapering VERY slowly and the room still spins, I can't move my eyes without intense brain zaps, and basically feel like a raging lunatic. If you've tried many other drugs and they haven't worked and this is a last resort then I say go for it, but with caution."

Button28 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2016

For Depression "I have tried nearly all anti depressant/anxiety medication and Venlafaxine has been one of the best for me. My mood is more balanced, my sleep is improved and I am more motivated than before starting the medication. The side effect of nausea lasts a short while after taking a dose ( 37.5mg 2 x daily for me) but the overall positive effects are worth while. I found that Venlafaxine has a quicker effect than other SNRI's with fewer side effects."

Anna Freud March 3, 2016

For Depression "I had a major breakdown and was hospitalized. My psychiatrist put me on effexor. I took it before bed and by 2 am I was running fever and felt like I had the flu. It was by far the worst medicine I have ever tried. EVER. I woul never take this again. I felt horrible all day the next day and wouldn't get out of bed. It was a nightmare."

calliekens March 2, 2016

For Depression "This med worked okay for me but then I get used to it and I have to increase it. I personally think that my body builds up a tolerance to it. If I take these meds late I get terrible night sweats. Coming off these meds was terrible. A GP advised me to go 'cold turkey' and I had nausea, vomiting, so much crying, felt hot and cold and dizziness. I also had some really bizarre dreams when coming off these meds. This med along with Cymbalta is hard to come off of."

Bright Star13 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 29, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I wish somebody had told me how addictive this drug is before I started taking it. Had I known how bad the withdrawal symptoms were, I probably would never have gone on it. (Although that might be a good thing, as I need(ed) to be on it.) It has definitely helped. The worst thing is HAVING to take it...literally. It's a full-out physical addiction. If we go somewhere and it doesn't get packed, I'm in trouble. It's NOT something to be taken for short-term or seasonally. Other than the withdrawals the main side effect is sweating. I shower every morning and by mid-afternoon I have to put Kleenexes or some sort of absorbing pad in my arm pits! In the past 17 years, I've also been on Paxil, Celexa, Prozac, Lexapro, and one other."

Depression for 17+ years February 22, 2016

For Depression "The side effects are NOT WORTH dealing with! I've tried this medication twice and while it was the only drug I tried that helped my depression/anxiety, the side effects were killing me. I would feel sick for 3 hours after every dose, whether I would eat with it or not. It made me constantly hungry during the day. It caused me to be so exhausted and even angry. I finally weened off of this medicine after gaining almost 100 lbs in 5 years (3 years on, 1 year off, 1 year on, now off). I only went back on because I thought the weight gain was my fault and after losing so much of it, swore I'd never gain it back. Back on Effexor, back came the weight. I feel so much better off this medicine now and wouldn't recommend this drug to my worst enemy"

Meeves February 19, 2016

For Depression "Horrible. I never felt so bad in my life.. and never thought such horrible thoughts about myself and life.. I don't recommend this horrible medication at all!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 16, 2016

For Depression "Not worth the side effects and withdrawal symptoms."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2016

For Depression "I'm only 18 years old and I have been put on some of the worst drugs ever. From Zoloft, concerta to vevance to Prozac and now Effexor. Effexor was actually a little bit worse from Prozac with me. Both of these drugs I quit having regular periods. But, especially with Effexor I had cramps almost the whole month rather than the week of my period. I craved food less I found it difficulty to stay hydrated. I have nightmares almost every night. I've been on drugs since I was 13. Effexor makes everything difficult to remember. I've attempted to go cold turkey it does not work. The dizzy spells, muscle spasms, stomach cramps increase. When they wear off I find myself having more panic attacks and depressing thoughts. I'm only on the 75 mg."

Kittylover777 January 24, 2016

For Depression "I stopped taking Topamax for mood disorder due to side effects of tingling on fingers and legs. I was recently prescribed 75 mg Effexor ER for chronic depression the generic. I started on the JAN16th noticed be loss of appetite first day, and 21Jan16 weighed in at 228.2 from 234 @ 5'6. My mood has also improved, now I have a bit more energy, and feel hopeful despite my situation not looking that way. I will be adding Wellbutrin with my Effexor. I hope the depression continues to get better and hoping to lose 70-80 lbs. as well. Give it time if it isn't working try something until you find the pill(s) for you, different pills work for different people. We all deserve a better quality of life then we had before. Good Luck"

Queencess (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

For Depression "Was very depressed and couldn't sleep. Started on 37.5mg twice a day then doubled. My mood has improved a little but not my sleep. No interest in sex. Can't eat - have lost two stones. Don't know what to do for the best! Not suicidal anymore at least."

Sally867463 January 16, 2016

For Depression "Awesome! Changed my life for the better completely. Side effects are minimal but my mood has stabilized like never before. I wish I was medically compliant earlier. This stuff has changed my life for the better!"

Aussie Paul (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2016

For Depression "This is a terrible pill and I wouldn't recommend anybody to start this med unless you are ready for the bad side effects of coming off of this med when it doesn't work . This med cause me to lose about 3 years of memory lose and almost my marriage."

Ellen43 (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2016

For Depression "I tried Effexor about eight ago, for a few weeks. Terrible medication! Racing thoughts, my anxiety level went skyrocketing. Soon when I started using the drug, I started to emerge strong and badly violent obsessive thoughts, albeit I am usually very kind, easy going and non violent person. No, I did not implement these thoughts, thank goodness, because I understood theme as obsessive thoughts, which were caused by the drug. I had no appetite and had to force my self to eat or drink. It was really scary. It took weeks to recovery. I was suggested to try it again last year, I said absolutely no! Never!"

Kristiina (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

For Depression "I was given Effexor after Lexapro stopped helping me. I was on it approx 1 year. But what I know now, that I wish I would have known then.....the withdrawals are horrible!!! I am dizzy all the time, feel like the room is spinning. Pharmacist said this could last up to 3 months. I went off of it very slowly! I have been without it for about a month now. I have never been an addict of any kind, but I feel like one with this. I know that taking more will make these side effects go away, and I think about this pill all day every day. PLEASE research before you start this medication. I would not wish this on my worst enemy!!"

911Dispatcher December 21, 2015

For Depression "I would highly recommend this medication. I tried multiple SSRI's like prozac, zoloft, abilify, and welbutrin and this worksd far better than those. For once I actually feel happy, talkative, and good. Do not stop taking this medication cold turkey or withdrawal effects will be bad. You should always taper over an extended period of time."

johncena December 11, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm currently on venlafaxine, 300mg/day, and have been on it for 6 months now. This stuff works beautifully for me. I had/have MDD, GAD, SAD, and took Paxil for 10 years, which worked quite well until 8 months ago. I was scared of switching because of the fact that not all anti-depressants work for everyone, and I was terrified of fully reverting back to my suicidal, petrified old self. My psychiatrist was able to convince me after a couple months to go for it. On the venlafaxine I feel calm, HAPPY, able to concentrate, mildly euphoric, and better than I did in my early days of taking Paxil. This stuff is hit or miss for different people, but don't be scared to try it if you haven't. And give it time to work."

Mike001 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2015