Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Autism 2 reviews 7 medications

Bulimia 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Effexor reviews 168 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Effexor

Review by SleepinBeauty:

For Depression: I've only been on this medication for about 2 weeks. That said, I've slept almost every day since starting it. I know sleepiness is a common side effect but this is excessive. Almost no energy throughout the day. Nonstop yawning. My depression is still there, anxiety has been better. I just feel very drained and apathetic. I'll stick with it for a while longer because I know it will take a while for the full affect to kick in. hoping for good results!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 5:19 PM

For Depression: Total life saver. Took away the pain of existence been on it for 7 years, used to binge drink a lot but it interfered. Don't drink anymore, no intention to stop Effexor.

April 2, 2015 10:12 PM

Review by Reidee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have experienced chronic anxiety, panic attacks, and depression for 20+ years. I've been on several different medications over the years, but none of them worked entirely. My depression increased over the years, because I believed, nothing could help my problems. I was admitted to a psychiatric unit recently due to suicidal ideations. The attending doctor said he would like to start me on Effexor. I would not allow myself to read the side effects of this medicine, due to my anxiety and the possibility of developing psychosomatic symptoms. Within a week, I began feeling hope, excitement for life, and my anxiety was nearly gone! I've been on this medicine now for over a month, and I have never felt this good my entire life! Try this Med!!!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2015 10:09 PM

Review by LGG:

For Depression: I had been on Zoloft (50mg/day) for depression for 8 years. Following a major chronic health condition, a medical specialist was concerned the Zoloft was no longer effective. Increasing to 100md/day was disastrous - head spins, dry dry mouth, vertigo - so a psychiatrist recommended Effexor. Initial 75mg/day then 150mg/day after a fortnight. Initially I was unable to orgasm but this lasted only about a month (same when I started Zoloft). Main concern is weird dreams most nights. The only thing I can tie this to is the Effexor. Have been researching online and it seems I'm not the only one. What a relief to discover - I was becoming quite concerned (and irritated). But hey, I feel soooo much better that I can live with it. I'm smiling again.

March 28, 2015 2:17 PM

For Depression: I am taking 35 mg and it works great. I have strange dreams but that's about it for side effects.It doesn't interfere with sexual health like a lot of anti-depressants do.I can see staying on it for as long as I need to.I am glad that I tried, also lessened fibromyalgia outbreaks.

March 5, 2015 6:15 AM

Review by Happy Me:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I switched to Effexor after taking Prozac for years and it just didn't seem to be working for me anymore. I'm so glad My Doctor suggested I switch to Effexor. I've been taking for about 2 years and it seems to be working great for me. I very rarely have a down day. You must take as directed and not miss dosages. I can't miss more than 1 days dosage or I will get nauseous and dizzy.

February 25, 2015 8:49 PM

Review by KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Would have been good for just depression, but I am suffering from anxiety too, and that seemed to get worse. So overall, didn't help. Might be good for just depression though.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 5:21 PM

Review by tammyever... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Very helpful medicine.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 9:48 PM

Review by lavendarles:

For Depression: This stopped my depression the second day! It felt like a hole in my heart mended! Literally! I seem to be able to skip days here and there in the spring and summertime with no effects, but never have plans to wean off. It has been too great a miracle prescription for me! Seven years!

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by Lane123456:

For Depression: I am a 21 year old female. I was on Prozac for ten years (40 mg at the end) before switching to Effexor (37.5 mg at first, 262.5 mg now) because I was having issues with anxiety. I was ok for a while then I became extremely depressed and suicidal. My doctor increased my dose and although it did take away the misery and suicidal thoughts, I wouldn't describe myself as happy. I feel constantly tired, sleeping up to 16 hours a day. I can't work and social situations exhaust me. It took me a while to realize Effexor might be responsible for some of these symptoms. I am talking to a psychiatrist about changing my medication but I'm very worried about the infamous withdrawl from Effexor.

December 7, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by stoked:

For Depression: Been taking this for years, helps me out a lot.

December 5, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Eliza_nsw:

For Major Depressive Disorder: When I first took Effexor I was in the first few days a bit jittery, but then I felt like I hadn't felt in years or ever. It was such a God send. Then with doctors advice after approx 12 mths I went off it. I went on it two more times, but my dose was higher and higher- no real help to me. Then a third time, I went off my head on it. The anxiety was woeful, so severe. I phoned up the help line for mental health and got the usual spiel- give it time, yes, it can cause that, speak with you doctor and so on. I read how this can happens then wamo it works. But I had already been on it before and never had such side effects. It was horrible, and scary. My personal experience is two opposites. Good and horrible.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 8:25 AM

Review by missykfish (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I have taken medications for 10 years, and they have, basically, helped me cope with depression. Effexor is outstanding. I take it in the morning, and it helps all day.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by The cardiac nurse:

For Depression: I started this medicine in nursing school. Very much so needed. I started seeing myself with less worry, and a more of a "whatever" type of mentality. I figured that worked for me. However, my biggest problem has been the weight gain. Before I knew it I gained atleast 25 lbs. I'm a very active person and I do what wait I eat, especially since I am a cardiac nurse. Also make sure you NEVER miss a day of the medication. My side effects would be vertigo and shooting nerve pains in my head. I just upped my dosage to 150mg hoping it will increase my energy and help with weight loss. I was really bad off emotionally before so besides everything above, I have my life back.

October 23, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by nynyer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Worked quite well for sometime. Had side effects which were attributed to another medicine I was on at the time. Through trial and error it was discovered the other medicine was not at fault. I was having kidney problems along with frequent edema in my legs and feet. Also constant mucus and tightness in throat. Helped with depression but side effects became serious. Also weight gain. Dr tapered me off this medicine.

October 19, 2014 8:46 AM

Review by j1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Celexa stopped working and I was put on Effexor. My panic attacks are worse then they have ever been, my depression is totally off the charts and I physically shake all the time. The irritability is by far the worst part for me. I'm forever angry now on this medication. My friends and family have noticed a big difference in my personality. Definitely getting of of this medication!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Cancer Crab:

For Depression: Switched from Paxil 20mg to Effexor 75mg. On Paxil I just couldn't lose weight and my insurance wanted me to try an SRNI before they would pay for the newer meds like Brintellix. At first I noticed a decrease in anxiety THEN I went to work!! My job is very stressful and I have to be SPOT on!! First I noticed anxiety returning then that I was clumsy..dropping things! I then started noticing numbness and tingling in my fingers and then waking up with numb arms which would not wake up for up to 7hrs!!! I did some research and noticed that numbness/tingling of the extremities is a side effect for 20% of people taking Effexor. The numbness scared me to death! I immediately went to my Shrink and got off this damn drug! I'm going to Lexapro! Ugh!

September 23, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by Kayde:

For Depression: Was so excited to try Effexor XL and did for the past 6 years. Well, I didn't realize that it made me anhedonia, or without feeling towards a lot of things. I just went on my merry way, but would do nothing....sat and watched TV, couldn't get anything done. Everything was just Great!.....that is what I thought....then I started gaining weight......gradually, but I mean 60-70# over the past 6 years or so.....but just kept on eating. Then I thought I have to do something about this. I gradually took myself off, but WOW the side effects of the withdrawl was unbelievable. My son told me never to do that again...and I told him see.....this medication has so changed me.....and I will never take that again....!Trying to lose this weight now

September 23, 2014 3:00 PM

Review by cowbranch (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I use venlafaxine for major depression and to help with migraines. When on it my headaches have decreased.

September 2, 2014 6:19 AM

Review by King Bean (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Great experience on Effexor. Was very anxious; maybe a little depression. Panic attacks, etc. Effexor gave me a great bump within 3 days at each dose. Ultimately, went up to 225mg (2 years). I was a new person; no worries, loving life. Went down to 150mg (2 years), and then down to 75mg (2 years). No problems. After 7 years, went off. Then I started to feel very badly again, went back on to now avail. But the 7 years I was on it, I felt tremendous. Great med for me.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by Tepper:

For Depression: As with all antidepressants, I tend to peak after about 5 years and my medication begins to lose its efficacy. This is the third time I have had Effexor prescribed, and each time the results have been better than with any other antidepressant. I actually enjoy parts of my life and sleep like a baby, which is a true blessing, because I have Fibromyalgia and the accompanying insomnia so common with Fibromyalgia. Several years ago my brother-in-law was having trouble with his depression medications so I told him to ask his doctor about Effexor. He has gone from suicidal to a fairly happy fellow. This medicine has literally been a life saver in our family.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 3:08 PM

For Depression: I took Effexor for three years due to depression. I loved the fact that I was no longer depressed but I was tired all the time. I could sleep for 10 hours get up and two hours later I was ready to sleep again. If I missed taking a dose I would get a horrible headache. The only reason I stopped taking Effexor was due to being tired all the time. Getting off of the medication was awful. I have never been so sick in my life. If you are going to take this medicine the rest of your life I highly recommend it. It did wonders for my depression.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by Cherno (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I started taking Effexor at age 19 after about 2 1/2 years on Prozac. The reason for the switch was that I developed anxiety problems at that age in addition to depression, and the Prozac was not treating the anxiety. Effexor works very well to treat both anxiety and depression but if I stop taking it for even 1-2 days (which is often because I am very forgetful) I become extremely depressed for the next 1-2 days. Right now I am in one such down swing after taking my Effexor for the first time in about 5 days. If you avoid doing that though you should be fine, the medication does help a lot.

July 10, 2014 12:58 PM

Review by Lawrence Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I am a physically healthy (runner) 25 year old male. I have never been mentally healthy, so I have tried antidepressants. I tried Prozac and Wellbutrin. Prozac didn't help or hurt ,but it gave me dangerous mood swings. I was prescribed Effexor 2.5 months ago. It seemed a perfect fit for me. I was wrong. I was on 75 mg each day. It actually made me sadder. I had no weight or sexual side-effects but had vertigo. The worst was CRIPPLING insomnia while taking it, and now I am close to 0 mg, but I still get night sweats and "brain zaps". As I write this, I've had 13 hours of sleep in the past 5 days.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 11:07 AM

Review by Gc6644 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I started this medication about 4 months ago after being on Prozac for 5 months. Antidepressants react differently for everyone, and I am happy to say I have had a very good experience with this medication thus far. I have much more energy, will to live, and my anxiety has also decreased immensely. I have not experienced any side effects with this, however I strongly recommend staying away from alcohol. After a night of drinking I would fall into a depressive state or have a panic attack. This never happened to me before taking this medication.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2014 7:05 PM