Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Review by Miss Tisay:

I am 46 yrs old and have taken Effexor since 2000. It helps me balance myself. It really works and it calms myself down and relax. But never miss it for a day or so it will give you dizziness or nausea. I would let the people out there know that Effexor is the best antidepressant. It makes me focus my life on everything. Thank you for saving my life Effexor.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2013 11:24 PM

Review by xyzpossum:

I have taken Effexor on and off for nearly ten years for depression and anxiety brought on by a sudden traumatic situation. It took a week or so for the side effects to disappear when I first started. I felt so well that I weaned myself off it which took at least a week with side effects. I have done this twice thinking I was very well and able to cope which I do when I take the medication. However, I have come to realize that I need to stay on it and my husband now understands that it keeps me well, happy and balanced. If I miss a tablet I feel quite nauseous and a bit unbalanced even though I only take 75mg once a day. I have come to realize that there a lot of people out there, including many high profile people who need Effexor.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 11:33 PM

Review by NDG (taken for less than 1 month):

I went on this medication as a last resort, I was at a point I couldn't leave my house, I cried all day and I had anxiety 24/7. I have just started taking the medication, the first day was terrible, cold sweats, brain zaps. I found I could not sleep. Now 3 days into the medication, I find I am much happier, perhaps I'm being optimistic but the constant torture of obsessive thoughts and not being able to let the little things go has gone down. I would recommend this if you are at a last resort. The past 2 days have been days that remind me of how my life was like before the year and a half of constant agony.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 11:27 AM

Review by pristiqq (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Works well for depression and anxiety. I experienced diminished libido (male). Do not abruptly stop taking or miss a dose, you'll get worse than opiate withdrawal!

July 24, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Linnd:

I've been taking this medicine for over 10 years, I have gone as high 300 mg down to 100mg. My latest depression episode ( this is my third) I'm taking the 300 mg and amplify but it's not helping I'm thinking of taking 375 mg and see if that helps me.

July 15, 2013 4:26 PM

Review by wanddnaw:

I am 56 and still hot flashes. Over 2 years I have increased dosage several times.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2013 3:34 AM

Review by JoseTheElder:

I am a 60 year old male who has suffered with depression and panic attacks. In my late 30s, I decided to seek help. Like many others, the list of medications my doctors tried would fill a dictionary. Some worked for a while. I refused to take Lithium. In my late 40s, I was also diagnosed with ADD. I now use 4 medications successfully: Effexor XR 450 mg daily, Xanax 1 mg daily, Adderall XR 60 mg daily, and Strattera 25 mg daily. I am now free of both depression and panic attacks for nearly 10 years! I am comfortable in public speaking and find that I love the adrenalin-rush! I've tried to stop using Effexor XR but always restarted because of the horrible depression. Withdrawal is like a bad acid trip. Use Effexor to stay alive!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2013 10:49 AM

Review by jdofhkls:

Effexor might have saved my life because at the time I was given it I had damn near given up hope. Paxil and Zoloft did nothing. Depakote attacked my liver. Lexapro made me numb. Then Effexor was given to me. 2 weeks after taking it I felt better. 4 weeks later, I was back doing things again. Within a year I had all my interests and hobbies back. Cons: 1. Withdrawal is terrible. When I miss a dose I feel it. Neck pain. Headache. 2. I've found that I had to increase the dose after two years of usage 75 mg 3x times a day holds me. 3. Not really a con, but when more stress then usual I relapse for a few days with depression but it goes back to normal if you increase dose for awhile.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2013 8:44 AM

Review by RobDogg:

Just changed from Zoloft (10 years) to Effexor. Have tried to get off Zoloft previously but had horrendous anxiety. The Doctor merged the Effexor with a low dose of Zoloft for 1 week and now on 150mg Effexor for the last 2 days. So far so good. Pretty scary waiting for Zoloft withdrawals, but optimistic.

May 29, 2013 8:02 PM

Review by may2013:

I have been on Effexor for couple of months and I have to say it really works. I am telling you if I wasn't on this medication I wouldn't know how to function right and there would be probably a lot of crying and not wanting to do anything and beating myself up which I hate and now I feel so much better.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2013 11:49 PM

Review by CABCNA3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'll start by telling you that I tried both Celexa and Lexapro. Celexa did fairly well, but Lexapro...that's a story for another time. I went to my doctor and told her I couldn't do Lexapro anymore. She prescribed me venlafaxine. In all honesty, I could tell a difference within the first few days. My panic attacks were fewer and further between, and I felt the dark cloud lifting. I've been on it for approximately two months now and haven't had any crazy side effects like I did with the other SSRIs. I suppose I'm still in the trial phase but I have no reason to dislike it yet. A miracle pill? Well, maybe. That's not to say that I don't get depressed again every now and then, but I'm generally content.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2013 10:45 PM

Review by Dar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on 75 mg for two months now, started at a baby dose of 37.5 about 3 months ago. I can honestly say I woke up feeling the difference and the burst of energy. Only complaints are if you forget to take a dose you're not in for a good day until you take your next dose. I vomit and have a terrible headache, and also with the medication I found that I had a couple bad lows while getting used to it. But as long as you keep up with your dose and don't mess around with taking it you should be very satisfied with the result.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2013 4:24 AM

Review by Londep (taken for 10 years or more):

Had weight gain, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, anorgasmia, bad withdrawal symptoms.

May 3, 2013 11:51 PM

Review by dougsmommy (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Effexor XR on and off for about 14 years. At first it seems to work but then I end up going back to where I was and then worse. I have suicidal thoughts at all times. I'm depressed and agitated even more so now than ever. If I get an up dose I sweat more. I don't know what to do.

April 16, 2013 11:24 AM

Review by flying low:

I've been on Effexor for 7 years now...after a crazy up-bringing coupled with drug and alcohol abuse as a teenager I spiraled into a deep depression after my wife died 13 yrs ago. I still have bouts of anxiety but they are short lived. I try to avoid people that trigger situations where I might start to feel like an anxiety attack is coming. I had a huge weight gain and struggle with that, I've lost 80 lbs so far due to a gastric bypass,and am on only 25 mgs down from 150 when I started.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2013 9:32 PM

Review by Anonymouiu:

I have been on Effexor for about 6 months now. I was prescribed it for anxiety and social anxiety. My social anxiety is basically gone. I still get a little bit of anxiety but it is way better than it used to be. However, if I forget to take it I get very bad withdraw symptoms. But, I consider it worth it.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2013 11:07 PM

Review by 30 something female:

I had tried a number of different prescription meds before Effexor, none of which seemed to help. I can honestly say this worked the best, and with it I was able to get out of bed and begin to function again. It really was one of those medications that did exactly what it was supposed to. I continued to take Effexor for three years, after which time I wanted to stop taking it and begin to manage my life without medicines. This is when the problems began. I can honestly say that it took me almost nine months to wean myself off Effexor. I no longer have to take medication but would warn anyone being prescribed this that it is not an easy medicine to stop taking.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2013 7:03 PM

Review by Mustang Jack (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Effexor for 18 years. Yes, that's right: 18 YEARS. It saved my life and then some. I had very severe clinical depression back in 1995. I was suicidal and anxious to the nth degree. Effexor has brought joy back to my life and has enhanced my creativity and sexual desire. I have been blessed with this medication. It was the first anti-depressant my doctor prescribed and most likely the last. A match made in Paradise: Effexor and I.

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2013 8:51 PM

Review by Dwarf:

I have been having depression for about 10 years. It took a long time to get the right one. Eventually I was put on Effexor XR. Started from 37.5 then finally 300mg per day. Effexor gave me a lot of side effects but I found it to be very good making me feel myself again. There was only one major problem, I got addicted to GAMBLING even from the day I started with 37.5. I was in major dept. I am now trying other medicines (Seroquel) but I am not the same anymore, very lazy, no motivation. Since I have stopped Effexor I have stopped gambling. And as for the depression, I am on trial with Seroquel. Wish me luck!!

January 18, 2013 1:36 PM

Review by InTheSouth:

My dr prescribed this for my depression, bipolar disorder and panic attacks. Within an hour of taking it, I couldn't keep my eyes open. 4 hours later, I was wide awake, jittery, nauseous, and having the worst panic attack I had ever had. Needless to say, I didn't try to take another dose. Even if my body had to get used to the medication.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2013 8:23 PM

Review by Dollface226:

It is my wonder pill.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2013 12:58 AM

Bad side effects, bad withdrawal.

December 7, 2012 6:02 PM

I was on Effexor for a few months only and found it to be not particularly helpful. I had weight gain, extreme tiredness during the day and feeling 'blah'. I decided to go off them and it took me longer to get off them than I had been taking them. The withdrawal was terrible. I had head spins that would last all day, couldn't focus, extreme dizziness if I turned too quickly etc.

December 7, 2012 5:04 AM

I have been taking this pill for about four months and It was working and I felt a little better, not so many panic attacks but it didn't help as much as I thought. Be careful when going off Effexor, the withdrawals are horrible. Most pain I have ever felt in my head. Do not just stop taking it. Effexor just wasn't the right one for me.

December 6, 2012 10:36 PM

Review by PurpleBondGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This was one of the better SSRI's I've been on. However, after using it for a few years I began to notice that some of the granules were not getting absorbed into my system. The granules were showing up in my stools completely whole. It worked wonders on my rage and moodiness though.

December 4, 2012 2:25 PM