Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Review by Helpless2014:

I had a panic attack and my doctor diagnosed me with GAD ( General Anxiety Disorder), and depression, so he put me on buspirone 10mg twice a day with Xanax twice a day too and worked well, then stopped buspirone and put me on Effexor 75 mg and Wellbutrin 300. Effexor was ok for 2 months then didn't work, then placed me on Ecitalopram 10mg/ day, worked for 3 days then made me very angry, so he stopped that too, and don't know what is next!

February 11, 2014 3:07 AM

Review by sfu (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a 27 yr old female with ADD, generalized anxiety (including morbid thoughts, OCD behaviors, hypochondria and depression). Effexor has basically fixed me. I used to be irritable, negative, overwhelmed and chronically fatigued to a disabling capacity and now I'm evened out and confident, positive, patient and kinder. My head feels clearer than it ever has. The only issue is that this medication causes some sweating and raises my blood pressure so I've had to have that stabilized with blood pressure medication.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by Maximus1959 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have taken a lot of depression medicines over the year's but this one has worked the best for me. I take 250mg a day and the side effect's have been very minimum.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2014 4:47 AM

Review by Natasha23 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on many anti-depressants. I experienced a few side effects from this one. The major one I experienced was the headaches. However within less than 1 week the side effects were gone. I also experienced night sweats in the first few weeks. This has stopped me from crying a lot which is good.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2013 11:44 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was taken off Lexapro and put on this. It's made me extremely angry. I can't do my school work or anything. I want off this NOW.

December 10, 2013 4:48 PM

Review by Tattie Soup (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been on this medication only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 9:48 AM

Review by Sbrooks88:

I have been on this med for only 4 days after being on multiple other meds for general anxiety disorder for several years now. And I can already feel the difference in myself. Not exactly where I want to be yet but definitely positive results so far. It does make my pupils seriously dilated and at night when it's dark my vision seems like I'm on a merry go round if I moves my eyes to quickly. Other than that I feel much better than just a few days ago! Hopefully this med will work for me. I hate switching meds cause of the time I have to wait to start a new one. Sends me in a downward spiral of panic attacks and irritability. So far since being on Effexor EX I've not had even one episode!!!!!! And I was having them every single day!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2013 3:52 PM

Review by GinaGee:

I have been on Venlafaxine XR for 8 years (first effexor xr then generic w/o problems). started at 150, then plateaued after about a year, went up to 225 and plateaued again. I have been on 300mg dose for over 5 years. I like this rx a lot. I haven't tried other antidepressants, I was started on this because it worked for other family members. I know it's a high dose n some people are shocked, but I find this offensive and more or less stigma about mental illness and meds. I started Adderall about 4 years ago and that combination has been incredible for my depression (and ADHD). My sex drive recovered 3 months into VFX. The only compliant is when I miss a dose, in which case I have a LOT of complaints: migraines, dizzy, tremor, hypersomnia

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2013 10:01 PM

Review by MissMiserable (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I spent several years taking Citalopram, which I found to be very good, until it stopped working. I was then prescribed Venlafaxine. I started off on 225mg daily, but it was not controlling my anxiety and I became depressed on it.. I was then told to up the dosage to 300mg daily by my Psychiatrist. Several months on, and I can firmly say this medicine has turned me into the same state I was in prior to ever taking any medication. My anxiety has increased, and I now suffer with depression and suicidal thoughts which I never had before. I have had no appetite, which can be a side effect for some people. have lost a lot of weight. Food and drink tastes strange, my skin has developed pimples.

October 7, 2013 6:49 PM

Review by Cantlivewithoutit:

I was prescribed Effexor for menopause symptoms and it treated my undiagnosed depression! It completely changed my life. I was an angry, laughing/crying mess and Effexor turned me around and put me in a good place with an excellent attitude. Cons are brain zaps and sweating from the forehead. I was weaning off of it when I couldn't take it anymore and went back on it. I started crying and felt horrible. Night sweats were miserable too. I'll take the zaps and sweats over depression and night sweats any day.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 2:21 PM

Review by WildcatVet (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take Effexor 300mg with Seroquel which doesn't fully control the depressive side of my Bipolar symptoms. It's the little extra that makes life wonderful! No side effects at all, no weight gain.

October 2, 2013 5:03 PM

Review by Miss Tisay:

I am 46 yrs old and have taken Effexor since 2000. It helps me balance myself. It really works and it calms myself down and relax. But never miss it for a day or so it will give you dizziness or nausea. I would let the people out there know that Effexor is the best antidepressant. It makes me focus my life on everything. Thank you for saving my life Effexor.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2013 11:24 PM

Review by xyzpossum:

I have taken Effexor on and off for nearly ten years for depression and anxiety brought on by a sudden traumatic situation. It took a week or so for the side effects to disappear when I first started. I felt so well that I weaned myself off it which took at least a week with side effects. I have done this twice thinking I was very well and able to cope which I do when I take the medication. However, I have come to realize that I need to stay on it and my husband now understands that it keeps me well, happy and balanced. If I miss a tablet I feel quite nauseous and a bit unbalanced even though I only take 75mg once a day. I have come to realize that there a lot of people out there, including many high profile people who need Effexor.

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 11:33 PM

Review by NDG (taken for less than 1 month):

I went on this medication as a last resort, I was at a point I couldn't leave my house, I cried all day and I had anxiety 24/7. I have just started taking the medication, the first day was terrible, cold sweats, brain zaps. I found I could not sleep. Now 3 days into the medication, I find I am much happier, perhaps I'm being optimistic but the constant torture of obsessive thoughts and not being able to let the little things go has gone down. I would recommend this if you are at a last resort. The past 2 days have been days that remind me of how my life was like before the year and a half of constant agony.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 11:27 AM

Review by pristiqq (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Works well for depression and anxiety. I experienced diminished libido (male). Do not abruptly stop taking or miss a dose, you'll get worse than opiate withdrawal!

July 24, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Linnd:

I've been taking this medicine for over 10 years, I have gone as high 300 mg down to 100mg. My latest depression episode ( this is my third) I'm taking the 300 mg and amplify but it's not helping I'm thinking of taking 375 mg and see if that helps me.

July 15, 2013 4:26 PM

Review by wanddnaw:

I am 56 and still hot flashes. Over 2 years I have increased dosage several times.

July 7, 2013 3:34 AM

Review by JoseTheElder:

I am a 60 year old male who has suffered with depression and panic attacks. In my late 30s, I decided to seek help. Like many others, the list of medications my doctors tried would fill a dictionary. Some worked for a while. I refused to take Lithium. In my late 40s, I was also diagnosed with ADD. I now use 4 medications successfully: Effexor XR 450 mg daily, Xanax 1 mg daily, Adderall XR 60 mg daily, and Strattera 25 mg daily. I am now free of both depression and panic attacks for nearly 10 years! I am comfortable in public speaking and find that I love the adrenalin-rush! I've tried to stop using Effexor XR but always restarted because of the horrible depression. Withdrawal is like a bad acid trip. Use Effexor to stay alive!

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2013 10:49 AM

Review by jdofhkls:

Effexor might have saved my life because at the time I was given it I had damn near given up hope. Paxil and Zoloft did nothing. Depakote attacked my liver. Lexapro made me numb. Then Effexor was given to me. 2 weeks after taking it I felt better. 4 weeks later, I was back doing things again. Within a year I had all my interests and hobbies back. Cons: 1. Withdrawal is terrible. When I miss a dose I feel it. Neck pain. Headache. 2. I've found that I had to increase the dose after two years of usage 75 mg 3x times a day holds me. 3. Not really a con, but when more stress then usual I relapse for a few days with depression but it goes back to normal if you increase dose for awhile.

June 24, 2013 8:44 AM

Review by RobDogg:

Just changed from Zoloft (10 years) to Effexor. Have tried to get off Zoloft previously but had horrendous anxiety. The Doctor merged the Effexor with a low dose of Zoloft for 1 week and now on 150mg Effexor for the last 2 days. So far so good. Pretty scary waiting for Zoloft withdrawals, but optimistic.

May 29, 2013 8:02 PM

Review by may2013:

I have been on Effexor for couple of months and I have to say it really works. I am telling you if I wasn't on this medication I wouldn't know how to function right and there would be probably a lot of crying and not wanting to do anything and beating myself up which I hate and now I feel so much better.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2013 11:49 PM

Review by CABCNA3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'll start by telling you that I tried both Celexa and Lexapro. Celexa did fairly well, but Lexapro...that's a story for another time. I went to my doctor and told her I couldn't do Lexapro anymore. She prescribed me venlafaxine. In all honesty, I could tell a difference within the first few days. My panic attacks were fewer and further between, and I felt the dark cloud lifting. I've been on it for approximately two months now and haven't had any crazy side effects like I did with the other SSRIs. I suppose I'm still in the trial phase but I have no reason to dislike it yet. A miracle pill? Well, maybe. That's not to say that I don't get depressed again every now and then, but I'm generally content.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2013 10:45 PM

Review by Dar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on 75 mg for two months now, started at a baby dose of 37.5 about 3 months ago. I can honestly say I woke up feeling the difference and the burst of energy. Only complaints are if you forget to take a dose you're not in for a good day until you take your next dose. I vomit and have a terrible headache, and also with the medication I found that I had a couple bad lows while getting used to it. But as long as you keep up with your dose and don't mess around with taking it you should be very satisfied with the result.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2013 4:24 AM

Review by Londep (taken for 10 years or more):

Had weight gain, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, anorgasmia, bad withdrawal symptoms.

May 3, 2013 11:51 PM

Review by dougsmommy (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Effexor XR on and off for about 14 years. At first it seems to work but then I end up going back to where I was and then worse. I have suicidal thoughts at all times. I'm depressed and agitated even more so now than ever. If I get an up dose I sweat more. I don't know what to do.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2013 11:24 AM