User Reviews for Effexor

Learn more about Effexor.

Effexor review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Effexor to treat Depression

Review by Dar (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've been on 75 mg for two months now, started at a baby dose of 37.5 about 3 months ago. I can honestly say I woke up feeling the difference and the burst of energy. Only complaints are if you forget to take a dose you're not in for a good day until you take your next dose. I vomit and have a terrible headache, and also with the medication I found that I had a couple bad lows while getting used to it. But as long as you keep up with your dose and don't mess around with taking it you should be very satisfied with the result.

May 5, 2013 4:24 AM
Review by Londep (taken for 10 years or more):

Had weight gain, atrial fibrillation, high blood pressure, anorgasmia, bad withdrawal symptoms.

May 3, 2013 11:51 PM
Review by dougsmommy (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have been on Effexor XR on and off for about 14 years. At first it seems to work but then I end up going back to where I was and then worse. I have suicidal thoughts at all times. I'm depressed and agitated even more so now than ever. If I get an up dose I sweat more. I don't know what to do.

April 16, 2013 11:24 AM
Review by flying low: User Rating:

I've been on Effexor for 7 years now...after a crazy up-bringing coupled with drug and alcohol abuse as a teenager I spiraled into a deep depression after my wife died 13 yrs ago. I still have bouts of anxiety but they are short lived. I try to avoid people that trigger situations where I might start to feel like an anxiety attack is coming. I had a huge weight gain and struggle with that, I've lost 80 lbs so far due to a gastric bypass,and am on only 25 mgs down from 150 when I started.

March 25, 2013 9:32 PM
Review by Anonymouiu: User Rating:

I have been on Effexor for about 6 months now. I was prescribed it for anxiety and social anxiety. My social anxiety is basically gone. I still get a little bit of anxiety but it is way better than it used to be. However, if I forget to take it I get very bad withdraw symptoms. But, I consider it worth it.

March 23, 2013 11:07 PM
Review by 30 something female: User Rating:

I had tried a number of different prescription meds before Effexor, none of which seemed to help. I can honestly say this worked the best, and with it I was able to get out of bed and begin to function again. It really was one of those medications that did exactly what it was supposed to. I continued to take Effexor for three years, after which time I wanted to stop taking it and begin to manage my life without medicines. This is when the problems began. I can honestly say that it took me almost nine months to wean myself off Effexor. I no longer have to take medication but would warn anyone being prescribed this that it is not an easy medicine to stop taking.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2013 7:03 PM
Review by Mustang Jack (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have been on Effexor for 18 years. Yes, that's right: 18 YEARS. It saved my life and then some. I had very severe clinical depression back in 1995. I was suicidal and anxious to the nth degree. Effexor has brought joy back to my life and has enhanced my creativity and sexual desire. I have been blessed with this medication. It was the first anti-depressant my doctor prescribed and most likely the last. A match made in Paradise: Effexor and I.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2013 8:51 PM
Review by Dwarf: User Rating:

I have been having depression for about 10 years. It took a long time to get the right one. Eventually I was put on Effexor XR. Started from 37.5 then finally 300mg per day. Effexor gave me a lot of side effects but I found it to be very good making me feel myself again. There was only one major problem, I got addicted to GAMBLING even from the day I started with 37.5. I was in major dept. I am now trying other medicines (Seroquel) but I am not the same anymore, very lazy, no motivation. Since I have stopped Effexor I have stopped gambling. And as for the depression, I am on trial with Seroquel. Wish me luck!!

January 18, 2013 1:36 PM
Review by InTheSouth:

My dr prescribed this for my depression, bipolar disorder and panic attacks. Within an hour of taking it, I couldn't keep my eyes open. 4 hours later, I was wide awake, jittery, nauseous, and having the worst panic attack I had ever had. Needless to say, I didn't try to take another dose. Even if my body had to get used to the medication.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2013 8:23 PM
Review by Dollface226: User Rating:

It is my wonder pill.

January 12, 2013 12:58 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Bad side effects, bad withdrawal.

December 7, 2012 6:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on Effexor for a few months only and found it to be not particularly helpful. I had weight gain, extreme tiredness during the day and feeling 'blah'. I decided to go off them and it took me longer to get off them than I had been taking them. The withdrawal was terrible. I had head spins that would last all day, couldn't focus, extreme dizziness if I turned too quickly etc.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 7, 2012 5:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking this pill for about four months and It was working and I felt a little better, not so many panic attacks but it didn't help as much as I thought. Be careful when going off Effexor, the withdrawals are horrible. Most pain I have ever felt in my head. Do not just stop taking it. Effexor just wasn't the right one for me.

December 6, 2012 10:36 PM
Review by PurpleBondGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

This was one of the better SSRI's I've been on. However, after using it for a few years I began to notice that some of the granules were not getting absorbed into my system. The granules were showing up in my stools completely whole. It worked wonders on my rage and moodiness though.

December 4, 2012 2:25 PM
Review by Lizabell: User Rating:

First time writing on here. Been on Effexor (instant release tablets) over 4 years. Average dose I hovered around was 400mg/day. At first I liked how it made me WANT to get out of bed in the morning, upped energy levels, & didn't turn me into a Zombie. After a few months of this, I started getting a 2-3 hour block in the day when I'd have indirect immobilizing anxiety. Thus my DOC threw Wellbutrin at me which did tone that down, for awhile. Then very slowly and without me attributing the following behaviors to the Effexor, I started to: take the first half of the day to 'get going', get dizzy 80% of the time & always out of breath, binge drink for a few month-long chunks on end, not sleep, lose weight, become rather apathetic over more & more.

October 26, 2012 5:36 PM
Review by Kiy (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 130 pounds & 19 years old. I took my first dose of Effexor 75 MG. So far, I have experienced nausea, headache, dilated pupils, & drowsiness.

October 9, 2012 8:19 PM
Review by Bsuzy (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I started about a month ago on 37.5 and want to stay there after reading some of the entries. I feel much better even on this low dose and recommend always doing the lowest dose you can.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 6, 2012 10:50 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Positive. Have not had a recurrence since taking this medication over five years ago.

September 14, 2012 8:59 PM
Review by sweetseraphim (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

This medicine was WAY too strong for me. I'm 5'8" and 135 pounds, but the minimum dose knocked me out the first night I started taking it, I had twitchy, bizarre dreams, woke up the next morning feeling "stoned", had a headache and stomachache, shaky hands and the jitters all day and my pupils were hugely dilated. This was all just after 1 dose of the timed-release tabs. Not a good choice for me.

September 5, 2012 11:28 AM
Review by stareast (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I just started taking Effexor last week for depression, anxiety and racing thoughts. Seems to be working, but I noticed some side effects, like dry mouth and nervousness, but not a big issue. It works much better than Zoloft, Celexa and Serzone, which I've taken in the past. So far, so good.

July 11, 2012 12:34 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on 75 mg now for about 3 months. Before I was completely out of it, did not want to do anything, would stay at home on the computer all day, suicide thoughts everyday. Now I'm out everyday, going to the gym. All my anger and anxiety, along with the thoughts are gone. Feels great. I highly recommend this medication. I know it will have withdrawal effects when you are getting off it but it is highly worth it, to better your life!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 14, 2012 11:43 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on this medication for about 3 year for depression/anxiety. During the time I took this medication it completely numbed any emotion that a normal person would get. About six months ago I decided that I was ready to discontinue my use of this medication and slowly reduced my doses. Coming down from this was extremely difficult and painful. I would have the craziest/scariest dreams, intense night sweats, severe headaches, uncontrollable body shaking and muscle twitching, some nausea/vomiting, but the worst of all the side effects was when my heart would race so fast it felt like it was going to break out of my chest, and my heart would feel like it was skipping beats, and each time that happened I would get an intense head rush.

May 11, 2012 11:24 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm 17, about 125 pounds, female and a senior in high school. I've had depression for a while and started taking Effexor. I strongly encourage trying this medicine for any teens or college students who deal with depression. Helps me concentrate and feel all together in a stable and happy mood. I've had weight loss also only thing that makes me nervous is the withdrawal effects I've read about.

April 10, 2012 8:39 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was recently put on Effexor and I have seen a huge improvement in my motivation and mental clarity. I actually want to get out of bed and do things. I actually want to work out. I don't want to eat all the time anymore. I am severely obese and now after being on it for almost 2 months I have lost about 10 lbs, and I feel great. I haven't noticed any detrimental side effects. It has actually increased my libido, too. I will post if I see any bad changes.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2012 6:04 PM
Review by Ahtibat87: User Rating:

My experience with Effexor was so bad. The withdrawal was a nightmare, and being on Effexor made me like a zombie. I was not sad but I wasn't happy either. 6 years later I'm completely happy and antidepressant free.

March 25, 2012 5:10 AM