User Reviews for Diovan

Learn more about Diovan.

Diovan Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 262 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Diovan to treat High Blood Pressure

"Taking for 15 years I'm 67. Controls by blood pressure well. I take 160mg. I'm normal weight and very active (Triathlions and marathons). If I train very hard and drop weight I get dizzy sometimes so I cut the pill in half and that does the trick. I occasionally get heart palpitations but I got that before the drug. I use to get terrible migranes before Diovan when I started taking the Diovan it was like s miracle drug for the migranes essentially eliminated them. I still get them now infrequently and not as severe. I have ringing in the ears but I don't know if it's from the Diovan or not but its not a problem for me."

KennyG Jr March 31, 2015

"I have been taking Diovan 160 mg along with three other medications. My blood pressure went down from 160/100 to 135/90 but I'm not sure if it was due to this medicine or the other three. I seem to get tired in the afternoon when my dosage was increased from 80 to 160 mg."

JLBat March 18, 2015

"I recently started taking this medication for about 1 month 80mg/day and I have experienced shortness of breath going up one flight of stairs, muscle weakness during light housework, and heart palpitations for no reason, dizziness and fatigue. I went on vacation to palm desert and wasn't watching my sodium intake and not keeping hydrated. I paid dearly by watching my blood pressure go from 140/90 to 180/105 and ended up at urgent care. Doc gave me Diazide to flush out the sodium and now my blood pressure is 110/70 and cardiologist decreased Diazide to 40mg. Some of Diovan's side effects are dissipating with this reduction. I am not happy taking any medication unless necessary especially at the age of 46. Hope to be off all medicines soon."

ddsmile (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2014

"Prevented fluid buildup near vocal cords experienced with other medications to treat condition."

Annarac (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2013

"Have been taking Diovan 160mg twice daily along with hydrochlorothiazide 25mg for 2 years. Developed a shortness of breath which they told me was asthma problem that I never had before. I insisted it was the medication and was told it wasn't because it worked great for my blood pressure. Had 2 near death experiences from "asthma attacks". They stopped the Diovan and hydrochlorothiazide and I haven't had any problems with breathing. I can be very active without losing my breath now. Now trying to find something else that works as good on my blood pressure."

246810 August 13, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diovan does the trick as far as the blood pressure goes. I have been an athlete my whole life so high blood pressure was just never dreamed of. The only problem is my erectile dysfunction, which was never a problem before this. Guess I will have to take the bad with the good."

Anonymous October 8, 2012

"I've been taking Diovan HCT (80/12.5) for a little over one year. It has done the trick on my blood pressure but leaves me with a slight headache and afternoon lethargy. After about 8:00 pm I usually start to feel better. My doctor and I tried 3 other medicines before Diovan HCT with no results. I don't know if the side effects are something I will just have to live with or not. I will discuss this on my next Dr.'s visit."

Butch T. (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2012

"Experience tiredness, no energy."

nctrucker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2012

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diovan HCT has controlled my blood pressure for over 10 years. Recently though my potassium has dropped, I've experienced atrial fibrillation and have noticed ringing in my ears. Have gone to just Diovan and have dropped the diuretic."

Anonymous January 21, 2012

"Worked great for my blood pressure however I had to stop this medicine because of severe and rapid hair loss."

firefae March 18, 2011

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Diovan 80 mg some 15 years ago, worked great for me. After about 5 years I developed an allergy to the sun and after many skin biopsy's was diagnosed with Discoid lupus. Had to stay out of the sun, almost like a vampire. My insurance (drug coverage) would no longer cover this medicine so my Doctor prescribed enalapril which worked for a while then blood pressure became erratic, and trying several other medicines made me so sluggish. My Doctor wrote for Diovan again, medically necessary and within 3 days I had a severe skin rash, and low and behold, I never had Discoid lupus, quit taking it. Back to enalapril and now blood pressure is crazy again. Wish I could take Diovan, but want to enjoy the beaches. Back to square one."

Anonymous March 16, 2011

"I used to use lisinopril for two months and my blood pressure would be controlled for a couple of days then uncontrolled and terribly high ranging 170/110 or 180/100 at times. It took about a month to get my blood pressure to range between 142/90 to 124/86. Then my medicines got changed to Diovan because of the severe side effects and I felt 100x better. The first day I took the Diovan it felt like an internal message feeling my blood vessels dilate. It works really well my blood pressure averages around 115/70 and I take it daily...BUT when I get to the Doctors office I become so worried (white coat syndrome) my blood pressure is sky high. So my doctor just added a diuretic also."

sha7411 January 25, 2011

"I take Diovan along with amlodipine and benazepril. My blood pressure is typically about 120-130/70-84. I don't know how much is due to the Diovan vs Lotrel, but I do know that Lotrel taken by itself was unable to get these results. As for side effects, I do seem to have dry cough(varying amounts), some dehydration, darker urine, and substantially less-frequent ejaculations. However, I am not sure if it is the medication that causes such things even though such things are recognized as side-effects."

Anonymous December 10, 2010

"Taking this for two months and really fatigued - used to run marathons for last three years but now VERY tired. Thinking of going back to doctor and trying another blood pressure medication."

Belfast37 September 29, 2010

"I went through a mountain of different blood pressure medications, until I tried Diovan. Most of the other medicines either didn't work or the side effects were severe. It may be expensive but it works. Recently my medicare provider wanted me to try Cozaar, because they don't cover Diovan(cost). I will stay with Diovan even if I have to pay for it myself."

michael hinton July 26, 2010

"I used several medications before my cardiologist prescribed Diovan. I have had wonderful results, no side effects of any type and would suggest Diovan to anyone needing their blood pressure controlled. I consider this medication a miracle! It has been for me! I m 66 years old and have used it for 7 years."

Susanna Currie Harper June 3, 2010

"I have been using Diovan for several years and it works great, however now my insurance company wants me to resort to Losartan. When I was on Lotensin it didn't do the job. Hope Losartan does."

MargeARK May 18, 2010

"Yes, it lowered my blood pressure. I had, and still do, a persistent lingering dry cough, which led to many visits to the doctor's office: spirometry, chest xray, antibiotics, and more, to rule out any other reason for the cough. And I did hear from one of my co-workers later that her father had a similar experience, cough after taking Diovan. "

Irishdc May 15, 2010

"I have been on this medication for about six years. At first it lowered my blood pressure but lately I am still in the 140s over 90s and recently started having ringing in my ears. During the time I was taking this I would become tired during the day and could not walk up one flight of stairs without being out of breath. I started on a workout regime for 9 months now to get into shape and still had fatigue and shortness of breath. I also started to have slight heart palpitations, so I decided to quit all medicines, keep track of my blood pressure and went to the doctor and told him my symptoms and plans. I changed my lifestyle to be much healthier than it had been with diet and exercise. No more fatigue and pressure is even better."

Anonymous April 23, 2010

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Controls my blood pressure but gives me stomach pain. Used to take 160 MG, had pain now I take 320/12.5 and I have terrible pains in my center and upper stomach. I am asking the doctor to try another pill. Can'tr take it any more!"

pamslave April 6, 2010

"Taking drug for about 5 years and blood pressure stays around 140/93. All of a sudden started having ringing in ears and decided to go off Diovan after reading this was a side effect. Also noticed shortness of breath, weight gain and tiredness. Now blood pressure is about the same without Diovan or any other medication except still have the ringing in the ears."

Anonymous April 4, 2010

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking 160mg/25 for 5 years & have had no problems. No side affects at all. Had to change as insurance company will not pay for it $126.00 month."

Hate Insurance Comp. January 19, 2010

"I've been taking Diovan for 2 weeks now and so far, it has the fewest side effects (other than hives and painful walking) and gets my blood pressure down (144/88). My system is very sensitive,but with blood pressure running 176/100 and higher, I am thankful this helps."

Anonymous January 2, 2010

"It works just fine without any side effects. I've been on it for 4 years."

Anonymous December 9, 2009

"I have taken this medication since it first hit the market and was really satisfied at first. Now many years later. Hair falling out. Diagnosed as Alopecia. Also muscle problems in chest cavity and extremities. I attribute this all to the medication and will ask it to be changed. "

TURNKEY77 November 22, 2009

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about High Blood Pressure