Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by droctagonapus:

Helps me fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking it. It helps me stay asleep, too. When I wake up, however, I always get a sort of "sleep hangover." By that I mean I still feel sleepy and dizzy for a few hours after waking up. Overall, pretty good sleeping pill.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2015 1:13 PM

Review by insomnia-guy:

This is a relatively gentle sleep aid. Only time I ever had problems with it is when I accidentally put it in with my morning medications!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 3:42 PM

Review by Neighbors:

I have taken trazodone for about 15 years. I was started on a 50 milligram dose. During a stressful job change; I spoke with my doctor and went up to 100 milligrams. However I felt the 50 milligrams work better for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2015 12:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have taken other medications that either leave me restless and awake all night or give me such severe hallucinations I feel like I need to commit myself. Trazodone has really helped. I get a good 6 hours of sleep. No problem with the groggy headaches after my first month on it. Dosage 100mg

March 17, 2015 9:07 PM

Review by Maxbyron:

Have used for 12 years for sleep. Take 400mg before bed, sometimes 500mg. I fall asleep within 15 minutes and sleep all through the night.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2015 3:38 PM

Review by FDNY (taken for 10 years or more):

Excellent

February 25, 2015 10:06 PM

Review by Tammy Texas (taken for less than 1 month):

I started out on a 100 mg.. Best sleep. Wake happy. Ready to go. I love it. Perfect for me.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 8:50 PM

Review by katy texas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had no side effects, or grogginess when using this 100 mg tablet.

February 13, 2015 9:49 AM

Review by K1965:

This is a true story. I started taking Trazodone 50 mg eight months ago when I was so stressed out because my son was addicted to Ambien I passed out at work. He was crazy on the Ambien and I was crazy worrying about him! The doctor prescribed Trazodone and I've been taking it every night since then. I don't know what I would do without it! In one nights I still wake up several times, but overall I sleep 100% better. I would love to be off of it but for this time in my life, it's been a lifesaver.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 12:39 AM

Review by Marleigh87:

I've been on trazodone for almost a year. I have trouble sleeping. They started me off at 50 mg...my body got used to it so they upped my dosage to 100 mg. I noticed that I felt awful in the morning. Felt like the room was spinning, I didn't want to get out of the bed and not to mention being irritable. For some reason I'm at 150mg now. I just split them down the middle but I noticed my dreams are really weird now.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 7:21 AM

Review by kb78 (taken for less than 1 month):

I took 100 milligram trazodone for the first time last night. It did help me sleep but I woke up with a terrible headache and around lunchtime I felt foggy and almost hungover.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2015 10:14 AM

I was diagnosed with insomnia after I underwent extensive chemotherapy and was put on every other sleep aid known (Ambien, Lunesta, Edular, Intermezzo, etc.). After having a horrible side effect from Ambien which sent me to the hospital for numerous days, I was given Trazodone 25mg a night to take. I have the best results from it. When I need it, it responds great with no problems the following morning.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2015 11:52 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on Trazodone for more than four years. Started for insomnia during my PhD program. I'm a woman, 5-10, 170, and work out five days/week). I need between 100-150 mg to get this medicine to work, but I have never had the hangover the next morning. Most sleep aids knock me out for days - that's never been an issue with Trazodone - I would not have finished my PhD or survived my first year as a full-time professor without it.

January 1, 2015 8:30 PM

Review by Want off Ambien Trying Trazodone (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking 10 mg of Ambien for about 4 months and I want to get off of it so my doctor recommended that I try trazodone instead. I tried 200 mg of trazodone without the Ambien and I had a horrible night. It took over 3 hours to fall asleep and when I did finally get to sleep, I had horrible nightmares. Since then, I have been taking 5 mg of Ambien along with 100 mg of trazodone and it has been all right. I go right to sleep, I sleep all night, and I only have a few vivid dreams. I want to wean myself off Ambien completely so it will just take some time.

December 30, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by PaddyC (taken for less than 1 month):

I tried trazodone for the first time last night. I was prescribed to take up to 75 mg before bedtime. I took 50 mg at 9 pm and wasn't feeling tired or less anxious by 10 pm, so then I took another 25 mg. Around 11:30 pm I finally started nodding off and slept soundly until 7 am. I have tried over the counter sleeping medications and Ativan twice. I would say this medication is better than over the counter stuff and is like a milder version of Ativan. It didn't put me to sleep right away, but when it finally kicked it, it worked very well. Hope this review helps!

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 10:21 AM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was put on 100mg, which was far too much for me. I would be tired and in a fog the next day even after a very restful night's sleep. My doctor told me to split the pills in half and I still got the sleep I needed without the severe drowsiness the next day. Now, I don't have to take it every single night to sleep.

138 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 7, 2014 5:45 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have had major insomnia for years now and nothing ever got me to sleep. Last year I was admitted into the hospital and they put me on Trazodone and it works wonders on me. I can take it at 9pm and not fall asleep until 11pm but that's because I keep myself busy and it still puts me to sleep. However when I don't take it I don't sleep, so I definitely recommend it.

188 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 4:23 AM

Review by Soldier67:

I have had insomnia for a while now and was prescribed Trazodone 50mg about 8 months ago. This stuff knocks me out within 2 hours. Unfortunately, it is doing nothing for my anxiety and depression.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by bobalaneo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Gave a 9 instead of 10 because of the Traz 'hangover' when you begin (headaches, fog, laziness)--coffee and aspirin should help this. I recommend starting at lowest dose possible and moving up. I take 50mg and it works wonders. Was on Ambien for 7 years but got tired of eating randomly, not remembering things I did and short amount of sleep time. With Trazodone you will have a deep and restful sleep (6-8hrs). Any side effects should go away within a week. Word of caution....you HAVE to lay down, turn out the lights and close your eyes within 30-45 minutes of taking this. Otherwise you risk missing the sleep window and could be up all night. Best sleep aid I've tried.

275 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 1:03 PM

Review by JessPhoenix (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Stopping Trazodone ASAP and here's why. Worked for me for about 4 or 5 months but when I needed a higher dosage of it (100-150 mgs), the REALLY BAD SIDE EFFECTS began. I'm talking the worst hand TREMORS ever, to the point where I have trouble holding a pen and writing. I am writing this on my phone and can barely hold it steady. The mental/cognitive effects are worse, I mean seriously I thought I had a brain tumor or something along those lines!!! Extreme CONFUSION, SEVERE SHORT-TERM MEMORY LOSS, I'm dizzy pretty much all the time and the lack of coordination is so bad that my driving suffered. The effects were never at night after I took it, always the next day. If you feel like you're losing it, you aren't. Just stop taking Trazodone.

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 9:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have epilepsy, so sleep is a really important component of control, but I have issues with insomnia. I already take a lot of pills so I didn't want another, but my neurologist (whose specialty is actually sleep) suggested Trazodone because it doesn't alter sleep architecture and is non addictive (something I wanted to avoid). This is by far the best sleep medicine I have tried, and I have tried Ambien and Lunesta. I guess I've also used my Klonopin, but I'd rather not take anything addictive very frequently. My dose is around 50-100 mg per night - depending on how tired I am.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Texas Lark:

My daughter has suffered from insomnia (waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep) for 2 years. Natural remedies didn't work well, nor did Benadryl. She finally tried trazodone at 25 mg. at 11 pm. She slept very soundly, but she felt very sedated (couldn't function) until 3:30 the next day. The next night she tried 12.5 mg., woke up at 8:30 and wasn't completely alert until 11 am. She tried 12.5 mg. again last night, was too tired to wake at 8, got up at 8:30, and was fully alert by 10. Tonight she'll try less than 1/4 pill so that she can wake up at 7:30 and be fully alert by 8:30 or 9. She weighs 110 pounds and most prescription meds make her extremely drowsy.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 12:05 PM

Review by LyndaRN:

I've been taking trazadone for about five years and it works great for me. At one point my dose was up to 200mg but I decided to taper it back slowly because I felt that it was too much and I still get the same effect from just 100mg now. My only annoying side effect is that it sometimes really dries out my mucus membranes (mouth and nose). Especially my nose, to the point where it's hard for me to fall asleep because I have to breathe through my mouth.

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by Dannax (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been taking 50mg of trazodone at bedtime for 19 years. More than 50mg does not help me sleep any better and I am groggy in the morning. 50mg is perfect for me as it hits fast and no morning time sedation. It is not a controlled drug, does not have any drug abuse potential and is not addicting. My first doctor would not prescribe it to me for fear of priapism. After 19 years--still no priapism!!

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by bl1979ta (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a medical issue, followed by surgery, then severe insomnia. I took Ambien at first, and it works well, but I started sleep walking with no memory, so I sought another treatment. Trazodone was next, but after six nights of wicked dreams and a racing heart, I quit Trazodone. I now take Zaleplon for insomnia and it's the best medicine yet. Zaleplon gives me 5-6 solid hours of sleep with no wild dreams and no sleep walking.

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 1:25 AM