User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I have been taking Trazodone for over 10 years, I started on 100mg and went down to 50 when I tried it and found that it worked just as well. I never used to sleep at night, with trazodone I consistently sleep through and have never had to increase the dose. I stopped taking it for a few months and was ok but went back on it when I started waking up in the middle of the night. I haven't noticed any side effects, my allergies do seem to be worse at night so maybe the trazodone affects them but when my allergies are not bad I don't have any sinus problems with trazodone, I also take zyrtec at night for allergies"

nickname not in use (taken for 10 years or more) August 26, 2015

"I have had problems with insomnia for years. After 8 years of taking Ambien, which worked great for several years, I built up a tolerance and asked my doctor about switching medications. He prescribed Trazodone, and after reading reviews, I had high hopes for the medication. Unfortunately, it did little to help my insomnia and left me with severe congestion and a headache. After 4 or so hours I would wake up with my mind racing and was unable to sleep. My doctor added klonopin. I feel asleep quickly but rarely got more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. Very disappointed."

Love2sleep August 23, 2015

"100mg knocks me out. My problem is that it only lasts 4 hours. Not the kind sleep I was looking for."

yard4hill (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2015

"Makes me feel like I have Hay Fever. Dry sinuses, dry eyes, and dry mouth. I have had chronic insomnia ever since I was 9. Tried Zolpidem but it only works for 3 hours, Lunesta only for about 1.5, Xanax (worked for a while but found myself becoming dependant), and this which not only doesn't help me sleep for jack but also makes my wakefulness even more unpleasant. Tried dosages from 50mg to 250mg. Gonna ask my doc about Zolpidem ER. This stuff sucks."

Otimmyrules August 18, 2015

"100mg, 1st time, throat became extremely Y dry to the point that I could not contact my tonge to the roof of my throate to aid in swollowing. After several hours, bad symptoms subsided. Bad bad med"

Frisbeeone August 18, 2015

"I have been taking Trazodone for a little over about 2 months now. I had been having trouble going to sleep at night and my doctor recommend Trazodone. I am 26 female, probably 98-100 lbs. My doctor put me on 150 MG. This medicine worked out great to begin with. But then one night I had a really bad episode. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low. I had went to the kitchen to get myself a drink to take back to bed with me. And I couldn't even make it back to the bedroom. I dropped my drink on the floor and became real weak , light headed dizzy and hot. I was so weak I had no control over my body. My legs wouldn't hold me up. I even blanked out a few times."

Liz_Mary August 15, 2015

"I was prescribed trazodone 50 milligrams of a week ago and I have to say that this works wonders! I never wake up groggy and always sleep completely well. I used to be on xanax one milligram, but I definitely like trazodone better"

Need sleep2 August 13, 2015

"I had really fast heart rate and it seemed to wake up my mind with lots of thoughts. Also sinus headache "

Caparker345 August 13, 2015

"Lowers nightmares and promotes straight through sleep that is more deep sleep than what can be gathered with insomnia without medication. Highly recommend for sczophrenic patients in my experience due to trazodone does not promote hallucinations. I do not suffer from anxiety or feelings of fear when waking."

askmydragonfly (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2015

"1. Ambien caused me to get up in the middle of the night and fix breakfast feasts without giving me any real sleep. 2. Now taking TRAZODONE 50 mg and sleeping like a baby rock."

lakhota August 5, 2015

"I've suffered insomnia for the past 2 years, the doctor wanted to take me off Ativan, since I've been taking for a few months now. I could not get any sleep at all, when I did get to sleep, I would have nightmares. It did not work at all."

Ed-y August 4, 2015

"I read a lot of reviews for trazodone on this web site. It has very different results for different people. I thought I would give my experience. My dosage is 200mg. It works extremely well at least 97% of the time. I experience no side effects. On the very rare occasion that I don't sleep, it's usually because of some other external reason, such as pain from a broken hip and leg from an earlier accident. I consider it a great medication for sleep since most other sleep meds have a quite large chance of becoming addictive. I hope this helps."

cubic_inch (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

"Trazodone 50mg tablets has been wonderful to help my insomnia. I had been prescribed Ambien: It caused me to sleep walk. Trazodone gives me 7-8 hours sleep without any problems. I do not used it every night only when I have very difficult times sleeping. It works wonders for me."

Happygirlnow July 26, 2015

"My doctor prescribed me 50 mg of this medication. It worked for the first 3 days, now it doesn't work at all. I contacted my doctor and she said my body has to get use to it. What does that suppose to mean. Do any one have any suggestions on what I should do?"

Synovia Bias July 26, 2015

"They are real good for sleep. All I need is 1/4-1/2 of pill or I can't wake up."

Mamamilz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2015

"I am a 57 year old woman. Had been on Ambien for years. Finally got to the point where I was waking up several times and eating all through the night. Have fought weight issues my entire life so could not deal with the ongoing weight gain, not to mention being perpetually exhausted. I then tried Temazepam which worked for a few weeks but then I started waking up during the night. My doctor recently prescribed Trazodone 50 mg. The first three nights were horrible. It took me forever to go to sleep and I woke up every few hours, tossing and turning. The past three nights I have slept better than I have in years. 7 to 8 hours a night!! No groginess in the morning. Feel rested and happy. I'm in heaven!!"

Sleepless in KY (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

"I've been taking this for about 10 years now. It works well for me. I am now taking 225 mg. per night. The only thing I worry about is dependence which I know I am. But, it allows me to sleep for about 5 hours nightly."

Woodle July 10, 2015

"I first used trazodone at the age of 12. As a teenager I had both depression and minor insomnia, so my doctor quickly decided that trazodone, an anti depressant that also causes severe drowziness, may be the perfect medicine. When you first start taking this drug, be warned. You will sleep a LOT. You may have nightmares. You will wake up groggy as all hell. And you will very, very quickly develop a resistance and need to increase the dosage. As such, I can't recommend this drug outside of severe cases of insomnia, and even less for depression due to extreme side effects."

RogueColin (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2015

"I'm 14 and already struggle with insomnia. before I started taking medication for it I couldn't sleep AT ALL, I would stay up until 4 in the morning just laying in bed and usually I would just not sleep. During the day I would try to exhaust myself so that at night it would be harder to stay awake, but my brain was still running laps. I was prescribed Trazadone last summer and I have never slept better all my life then I had in this past year. I take the pill and I fall asleep in less then 20 mins, my dosage is 100mg and I'm not sure if that's a lot but it seems strong and it works really well, HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!!!"

lmex July 1, 2015

"After suffering from insomnia since I was a child, I have tried many medication, home remedies and nothing really helped. When I was in nursing school it only became worse. I went to see my DR. he recommended Seroquel. I was on Seroquel for about a year and I hated it, horrible nightmares, groggy feeling, not sleeping, irritable, and it worsen my bipolar symptoms. When I told him I was not taking Seroquel anymore he gave Trazodone. I worked right away I sleep as a "normal" person does(8 hours). This medication has really changed my life with sleeping more and mood swings under control. I been taking it for a few years now."

NurseV (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"Causes nightmares, HORRIBLE nightmares and I still can't get more than an hour or two of sleep and sometimes go all night without sleeping for two or three days sometimes, same as before I started taking this so-called sleep-aid."

professionalzombie June 21, 2015

"It's been a miracle"

jrh420 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

"The doctor prescribed it for me to replace Zolpidem, which was working just fine, but my mother, who was also my caregiver, suspected that I was abusing it. My doctor warned me about getting pregnant while taking this drug, so she asked me if I was sexually active or breastfeeding. To me, the drug was an overly powerful sedative. I woke up so groggy in the morning after a night of nightmares. My doctor and my mother forced me to take them, anyway. They made my mouth dry. They could be dangerous. It was like I was sleepwalking through life, and I was constantly fighting the drug. The nightmares became stronger and stronger. I finally had to stop taking them, and the nightmares linger to this day."

WishingStar June 14, 2015

"I have been having trouble sleeping for months after coming off of an atypical antipsychotic I have been on for several years. I sleep the normal amount most of the time, but I have not been getting any rest and have been irritable and staying up later than usual. I took trazodone last night and had the first dream I've had in months. I feel human again, and even taken as needed as I'm prescribed I believe will help me a ton. I am so happy to have actually slept well. I struggled with the horrible withdrawals of coming off of the medicine; so the trouble sleeping I did not recognize right away, I had depended so long on the antipsychotics to put me to sleep. Seems to be very mild as well, which is what I asked my psychiatrist for."

Kayce Jo (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2015

"Last night was the first time I tried trazadone 25mg. Fell asleep pretty quickly but had unpleasant dreams. Woke after about 7 or 8 hrs. with a horrible hangover feeling. After taking 2 Excedrin I felt almost normal. Will try again to see if I can overcome side effects."

azkat (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015