User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by bobalaneo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Gave a 9 instead of 10 because of the Traz 'hangover' when you begin (headaches, fog, laziness)--coffee and aspirin should help this. I recommend starting at lowest dose possible and moving up. I take 50mg and it works wonders. Was on Ambien for 7 years but got tired of eating randomly, not remembering things I did and short amount of sleep time. With Trazodone you will have a deep and restful sleep (6-8hrs). Any side effects should go away within a week. Word of caution....you HAVE to lay down, turn out the lights and close your eyes within 30-45 minutes of taking this. Otherwise you risk missing the sleep window and could be up all night. Best sleep aid I've tried.

November 4, 2014 1:03 PM

Review by JessPhoenix (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Stopping Trazodone ASAP and here's why. Worked for me for about 4 or 5 months but when I needed a higher dosage of it (100-150 mgs), the REALLY BAD SIDE EFFECTS began. I'm talking the worst hand TREMORS ever, to the point where I have trouble holding a pen and writing. I am writing this on my phone and can barely hold it steady. The mental/cognitive effects are worse, I mean seriously I thought I had a brain tumor or something along those lines!!! Extreme CONFUSION, SEVERE SHORT-TERM MEMORY LOSS, I'm dizzy pretty much all the time and the lack of coordination is so bad that my driving suffered. The effects were never at night after I took it, always the next day. If you feel like you're losing it, you aren't. Just stop taking Trazodone.

October 30, 2014 9:24 PM

Review by Texas Lark:

My daughter has suffered from insomnia (waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep) for 2 years. Natural remedies didn't work well, nor did Benadryl. She finally tried trazodone at 25 mg. at 11 pm. She slept very soundly, but she felt very sedated (couldn't function) until 3:30 the next day. The next night she tried 12.5 mg., woke up at 8:30 and wasn't completely alert until 11 am. She tried 12.5 mg. again last night, was too tired to wake at 8, got up at 8:30, and was fully alert by 10. Tonight she'll try less than 1/4 pill so that she can wake up at 7:30 and be fully alert by 8:30 or 9. She weighs 110 pounds and most prescription meds make her extremely drowsy.

October 5, 2014 12:05 PM

Review by LyndaRN:

I've been taking trazadone for about five years and it works great for me. At one point my dose was up to 200mg but I decided to taper it back slowly because I felt that it was too much and I still get the same effect from just 100mg now. My only annoying side effect is that it sometimes really dries out my mucus membranes (mouth and nose). Especially my nose, to the point where it's hard for me to fall asleep because I have to breathe through my mouth.

October 2, 2014 10:10 PM

Review by Dannax (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been taking 50mg of trazodone at bedtime for 19 years. More than 50mg does not help me sleep any better and I am groggy in the morning. 50mg is perfect for me as it hits fast and no morning time sedation. It is not a controlled drug, does not have any drug abuse potential and is not addicting. My first doctor would not prescribe it to me for fear of priapism. After 19 years--still no priapism!!

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 9:00 PM

Review by bl1979ta (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a medical issue, followed by surgery, then severe insomnia. I took Ambien at first, and it works well, but I started sleep walking with no memory, so I sought another treatment. Trazodone was next, but after six nights of wicked dreams and a racing heart, I quit Trazodone. I now take Zaleplon for insomnia and it's the best medicine yet. Zaleplon gives me 5-6 solid hours of sleep with no wild dreams and no sleep walking.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 1:25 AM

Review by MagiBoo (taken for less than 1 month):

My doctor prescribed 150mg trazodone at bedtime because I have problems sleeping. I start to feel funny within 15-20 minutes of taking it and that's my sign that it's time to lie down. It keeps me asleep with no weird side effects. No weird dreams. I feel groggy in the morning. but it goes away within a couple hours.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by Eric77:

My wife and I have tried the whole gamut of sleep aids. Trazodone works pretty well. It seems to cause 'funny' dreams, but other than that, it does make you sleep. The only exception we have to most peoples experiences, is we find even 12.5 mg is 'too much', resulting in an over-sedated feeling the the morning. We try to cut the tablet in 8 parts, but it is difficult. So, a 25 mg, or even 10 mg tablet would be great.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by mamabear558:

I go through often occasions of insomnia, and I take 50 - 100 mg of Trazodone, usually after a few nights with no sleep because I don't like how groggy it leaves me feeling in the morning, but it really does help me sleep. It kicks in within an hour for me, though sometimes it can still take me a few hours to actually fall asleep, but I always do. I don't think it gives me more nightmares, but I do have very vivid dreams. All in all it does it's job and will keep taking it.

September 17, 2014 11:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've slowly gone up from 100 to 150 etc to where I am now at 450 mg each night. Between the Dr. that originally put me on it to the newish Dr. they messed up my dosage but I'm back to 450mg now. During the times of the mess up, I would run out of trazodone and stay up for days on end until I finally caved and went to the local Pharmacy and was buying everything that I used to take over the counter. I got zero relief...I highly recommend this medication..from being upped on the dosage for the past many many years it does make you feel groggy to begin but only lasts about a week maximum two.

September 13, 2014 12:22 AM

Review by McFlaca (taken for 10 years or more):

Have been on 50mg of trazadone for insomnia for years -- I began with 25 mg but went up to 50 about 5 years ago. I have had no difficulty whatever with this medication and hope others can get the relief I do. I get dozy in about a 1/2 hour after taking it and off I go to need-never-land!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 1:13 PM

Review by sunman:

I take 100mg a night. I could not get to sleep or stay asleep. This medicine helps. I started it with 2 other medicines, at first on 3 medicines I had nightmares. Dropped one, then the next then the trazodone. Stayed off it for about 3 weeks with no problems except was having trouble sleeping. Taking it again and within 20 minutes I'm OUT! I think the nightmares were from other meds & getting off alcohol.

August 21, 2014 9:45 PM

Review by Annmarie49 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have had sleep issues because of major anxiety and depression for over 10 years. It affected both falling asleep and staying asleep through the night. I tried other medications and then was put on Trazodone by my psych doctor. I take 150 mgs about a half hour to an hour before I go to bed and do not have to eat anything with it. (Someone had posted that they were concerned about that issue. I believe that is suggested for people who are on it daily for depression, not insomnia). Trazodone puts me to sleep minutes after I get into bed, and I sleep soundly until the alarm goes off.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 6:23 AM

Review by lizzytish (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take trazodone, 150mg to 200mg for insomnia. To avoid morning grogginess, I take it at 7 or 8pm. This gives it more than enough time to get out of my system. Rarely have nightmares, but do have vivid interesting dreams about friends and family! I recommend this medicine for insomnia.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 7:50 AM

Review by weavers (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take 200mg of trazodone and 3mg eszopiclone (Lunesta) every night and have for the past 2 years. My trouble is not falling asleep but rather being able to stay asleep. If I didn't use medication I would only sleep 3-4 hours a night. I believe the trazodone does make me groggy but the sleep is most important. Those who say it causes nightmares or crazy dreams, this is true, but those cease after a week or two on the medication.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by Scorpiogirl1972:

I took this medication only 2 nights. It made me have horrible nightmares, almost night terrors. And even after I calmed down from the nightmares that woke me, I was very panicked and freaked out and couldn't go back to sleep. This medicine is certainly NOT for me!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by marysunshine (taken for 10 years or more):

I am 75 years old and have been taking trazodone for sleep for about ten years. I take 150 mg. It is a miracle for insomnia. I sleep 8 hours a night straight though. Yes, you do feel groggy in the morning when you first start taking it, but it goes away with time, so don't give up too soon when you start it because of grogginess. I have never heard of taking it with food as one person said. It is non addictive and I feel so rested that I do not feel the need for naps that I always used to take before trazodone.

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 12:11 AM

Review by johndcravens (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It helps a lot for getting to sleep, not so much for staying asleep past 6 hours.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 10:18 AM

Review by Jenbeezy:

My psych suggested using trazodone (50mg) for my insomnia issues along with my antidepressant Prozac (20 then 40mg) the first night I took it I couldn't get to sleep for a few hours but once I was sleep I was knocked out. When I woke up I was groggy all day. So I didn't take it the next night. Then the night after that I tried it again and I slept like a baby that night and the next two nights after that. My only issue with it is my dreams are very vivid and are on the nightmare side. But I like the meds. If my dreams continue to be bad I may try something else

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by TootzBrewer (taken for less than 1 month):

My psych prescribed trazadone 50 mg when I first started seeing her. I took it one time and still didn't sleep so I tossed it. A few nights ago I was so frustrated because I hadn't slept for days so I tore the medicine cabinet apart looking for anything that would make me sleep. I found the trazadone. I took one and bam I was out like a light for 8 hours. Guess I will give it another shot now!

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2014 10:06 AM

Review by Gutter Ball James:

Have been taking trazodone for about 12 yrs. now because I tend to wake up worrying in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. It's not a knock-out medicine, so will not put you immediately to sleep, but I sleep through the night (at 200 mgs.) without any problems. This medicine has changed my life and I would not want to be without it. The dosage has been titrated up and down several times, depending on anxiety, depression, etc.

April 17, 2014 4:32 PM

Review by linnie94 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ever since I started using this, (thanks so much, doc!) I have been in Heaven. I have had problems sleeping for months, maybe even a year but not as extreme then. I start to feel tired and my eyes start to want to shut just 20-25 mins after I take this! The "window of opportunity" where it is most obvious it's working (when I feel sleepiest) is (obviously) the time I go to bed. The one time I missed that window was out of experimentation, as I wanted to know if it would knock me out as I was sitting on my couch. Didn't work! When I went to bed that night it was very hard to do so. So now, I ALWAYS head straight to bed when I feel sleepiest.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by pappyjerry:

I was very hopeful when I read about trazodone. Don't know how long to keep trying, but after three nights, I've had no relief. Started at 50mg, then 75 and finally last night, 100mgs. May have to back to estazolam, but it's only good for occasional use.

March 29, 2014 7:02 PM

Review by Tattooboy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have a lot of health problems (Physical, not mental). Trying to sleep some nights is an absolute nightmare. I've taken Ambien, would sleep an hour or two and then wake. I've done the other stronger Benzodiazepines (Temazepam). If you take those more than 3 or 4 nights in a row your body is addicted and you need them to sleep and your body won't let you take a nap because it wants another pill. After I weened myself off those I had a friend who told me about Trazodone. I asked my doctor and he said sure. This is the best sleep I have ever had and I never wake up groggy. IT IS THE BEST!

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2014 1:40 AM

Review by Anxiety girl:

I had a concussion as a result of a fall. I was diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome. I could not sleep at all. Tried everything over the counter, then prescriptions including Ambien. Nothing worked. I went to the Dr. several times and told them I needed something to make me sleep or was going to lose my mind. Trazadone 100 mg per night and I sleep like a baby. It is a miracle!

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2014 6:50 PM