User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by Scorpiogirl1972:

I took this medication only 2 nights. It made me have horrible nightmares, almost night terrors. And even after I calmed down from the nightmares that woke me, I was very panicked and freaked out and couldn't go back to sleep. This medicine is certainly NOT for me!

July 3, 2014 10:48 PM

Review by marysunshine (taken for 10 years or more):

I am 75 years old and have been taking trazodone for sleep for about ten years. I take 150 mg. It is a miracle for insomnia. I sleep 8 hours a night straight though. Yes, you do feel groggy in the morning when you first start taking it, but it goes away with time, so don't give up too soon when you start it because of grogginess. I have never heard of taking it with food as one person said. It is non addictive and I feel so rested that I do not feel the need for naps that I always used to take before trazodone.

July 1, 2014 12:11 AM

Review by johndcravens (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It helps a lot for getting to sleep, not so much for staying asleep past 6 hours.

June 27, 2014 10:18 AM

Review by Jenbeezy:

My psych suggested using trazodone (50mg) for my insomnia issues along with my antidepressant Prozac (20 then 40mg) the first night I took it I couldn't get to sleep for a few hours but once I was sleep I was knocked out. When I woke up I was groggy all day. So I didn't take it the next night. Then the night after that I tried it again and I slept like a baby that night and the next two nights after that. My only issue with it is my dreams are very vivid and are on the nightmare side. But I like the meds. If my dreams continue to be bad I may try something else

May 28, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by TootzBrewer (taken for less than 1 month):

My psych prescribed trazadone 50 mg when I first started seeing her. I took it one time and still didn't sleep so I tossed it. A few nights ago I was so frustrated because I hadn't slept for days so I tore the medicine cabinet apart looking for anything that would make me sleep. I found the trazadone. I took one and bam I was out like a light for 8 hours. Guess I will give it another shot now!

May 8, 2014 10:06 AM

Review by Gutter Ball James:

Have been taking trazodone for about 12 yrs. now because I tend to wake up worrying in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. It's not a knock-out medicine, so will not put you immediately to sleep, but I sleep through the night (at 200 mgs.) without any problems. This medicine has changed my life and I would not want to be without it. The dosage has been titrated up and down several times, depending on anxiety, depression, etc.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2014 4:32 PM

Review by linnie94 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ever since I started using this, (thanks so much, doc!) I have been in Heaven. I have had problems sleeping for months, maybe even a year but not as extreme then. I start to feel tired and my eyes start to want to shut just 20-25 mins after I take this! The "window of opportunity" where it is most obvious it's working (when I feel sleepiest) is (obviously) the time I go to bed. The one time I missed that window was out of experimentation, as I wanted to know if it would knock me out as I was sitting on my couch. Didn't work! When I went to bed that night it was very hard to do so. So now, I ALWAYS head straight to bed when I feel sleepiest.

April 15, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by pappyjerry:

I was very hopeful when I read about trazodone. Don't know how long to keep trying, but after three nights, I've had no relief. Started at 50mg, then 75 and finally last night, 100mgs. May have to back to estazolam, but it's only good for occasional use.

March 29, 2014 7:02 PM

Review by Tattooboy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have a lot of health problems (Physical, not mental). Trying to sleep some nights is an absolute nightmare. I've taken Ambien, would sleep an hour or two and then wake. I've done the other stronger Benzodiazepines (Temazepam). If you take those more than 3 or 4 nights in a row your body is addicted and you need them to sleep and your body won't let you take a nap because it wants another pill. After I weened myself off those I had a friend who told me about Trazodone. I asked my doctor and he said sure. This is the best sleep I have ever had and I never wake up groggy. IT IS THE BEST!

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2014 1:40 AM

Review by Anxiety girl:

I had a concussion as a result of a fall. I was diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome. I could not sleep at all. Tried everything over the counter, then prescriptions including Ambien. Nothing worked. I went to the Dr. several times and told them I needed something to make me sleep or was going to lose my mind. Trazadone 100 mg per night and I sleep like a baby. It is a miracle!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by Kathy M.:

I would feel so sleepy and go bed only to find myself still trying to fall asleep hours later. I tried everything you could buy but nothing worked. I was keeping my husband up most nights getting up and down and he finally said you have to do something. I went to my doctor and he put me on trazodone and since the very first night of taking I have had no trouble at all. I call it my miracle sleep aid and would highly recommend. It don't make you feel dopey or wake groggy. I give a 10

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by ladygoodie:

I have been taking trazodone for 3 weeks.I have been confused and can't comprehend. I don't like the fact that you have to take this medicine with food because I don't eat after 7:00 pm.And still not sleeping through the night.

February 28, 2014 5:38 AM

Review by JoAnn123 (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been taking Trazodone off and on, more on since 1995. My dose has always been 1 or 2 @ 150mgs. I would never change. I have DDD, DJD, arthritis, muscle spasms, chronic pain, COPD, asthma, CFS, and nerve damage. What can I say. My mind never turns of. When I tried to get help, I was told it could not be done. I was on a muscle relaxer and my insurance wanted me to try something else, so now I wake-up in the middle of the night. I am also on Oxycontin 40mgs for pain, trazodone has been a life saver. I just wish I could find away to stop pain. Just don't know what will happen.

February 12, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started taking Trazodone 50mg since more than a year now. My doctor told me to only take it if I think I wont be able to sleep after a long stressful day. Sometimes I only take half of the pill which tends to work to fall asleep faster but I regularly wake up during the night and can't fall asleep anymore. I do not notice any side effects while taking them.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 8:00 PM

Review by D$:

I've started having anxiety attacks about half a year ago, and have been depressed since high school, which had kept me up most nights, worrying about my heart rate. 25mg of trazodone makes me very sleepy and puts an end to racing thoughts, and has also made my uncomfortable dreams subside. I do experience some dizziness and heavy eyelids, but other than that this medicine helps a lot. Went from sleeping around 4 hours to more than 8 again. Although I cannot imagine anyone taking 300 mg of this and being okay the next day.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 4:04 PM

Review by IamBrisk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My doctor told me he takes 50mg to help me sleep while his mind relaxes after a stressful day so I have been on the same dosage for almost a month now. It really works for me. I have bladder problems and been dealing with being very anxious about some other issues as well. I have less trouble falling asleep and my mind pays less attention to the call of the bathroom. At one time I was getting up 5 or more times and now I get up about 2 times a night. I am getting more deep sleep and feeling more rested when I get up.

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2013 11:32 AM

Review by Teacherguy35 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've had insomnia for years now and I finally asked my psych. for something to help me get some sleep. She gave me trazodone. I remember taking it in the way past to treat depression and I took upwards of 400 mg. Now I tried 300mg the first night and I could barely stand the next day. I tried 150mg the next night and I still felt drowzy the next day. So I said forget it. Then last night I cut the 150 Tri scored tablet into about 10mg. I slept like a rock and woke up without feeling drowzy. I feel alive and rested. I make a bunch of these small trazodones for myself and will take it until I get used to it. I give this medicine an A .

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 11:13 AM

Review by Mr B. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I used everything and including everything that end with -done. I had a shift work job for 20 years and I left it then still couldn't sleep after getting a day shift only job. Nothing worked and everything left me "Loopy" for 4 hours after I woke up. Believe it or not, Tylenol PM worked best for me!

December 8, 2013 8:01 PM

Review by Nozzzzzzs:

Have been fighting insomnia for years. Previously on Lunesta then Ambien because of insurance approval. Ambien was no longer working after a year and I came to the conclusion it was due to dependency and I wanted to quit. My doc suggested trazodone as it is non habit forming. Tried 50mg and it knocked me out through the night and most of the next day. Horrible hangover and dizzy feeling. I layed off for a few days then cut the pill in half to 25mg and was not at all effective. Next night took 3/4 of the tab and again knocked me out and zonked most of the next day. Think I'm giving on this.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2013 4:58 PM

Review by Akester (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have serious insomnia issues worse than most people. Trazodone helps to initiate sleep but not to maintain it. However, if you have another medicine that helps with sleep maintenance or that increases slow wave sleep, trazodone can be a good ally. (for me, a combination of pregabalin and gabapentin helps with the latter). Between 50-150 mg should do the trick. If the dose is too high, instead of sleeping you may get stuck in a state that is between sleeping and awake, which is not so great. Hence it's good to titrate upwards and find that sweet spot.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2013 3:35 PM

Review by GardenGuru (taken for less than 1 month):

Took 100mg for the first time last night. Don't think I rolled over all night - my hip is aching this morning, possibly because I slept in one position. I slept through my alarm this morning. Three cups of coffee later, I'm still groggy. I'll try 50mg tonight and see if it works without the side effects. I'd advise starting at a low dosage and working your way up.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 10:30 AM

Review by anon5001:

Started taking trazodone as an aid to sleep, since I was upping my alprazolam to try and fall asleep, and didn't want to keep upping it (I take 1.5 mg/day). Have had trouble falling and staying asleep since I was young. Also take 40 mg citalopram for depression. Trazodone works great for me at 25 mg, taken ~30 minutes or so before sleeping, along with 0.5-1 mg alprazolam. Does have a dizzying effect, so I never take it unless I know I'm going to bed. Anything over 25 mg for me causes a hangover the next day (fogginess, tiredness), but I am petite. But it works wonders to calm a racing mind and get me to sleep and wake up feeling refreshed on 25 mg. Haven't experience other side effects, while taking mostly every day for ~ 2 years.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2013 6:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on every antidepressant in the book except the MAO inhibitors for the past 20 years. In the past year every antidepressant in the class SSRI OR SNRI has given me diarrhea and I quit taking all of them. I am now on trazodone 225 mg which is partially helpful for insomnia and depression. I am also taking neurontin 300 mg. 3 times per day for pain which isn't helping but it does help my mood. I also am taking an old drug vistaril 50-100 mg. per night. No one pill will help me sleep. I take Lunesta 3 mg. which helps most of the time. My insurance won't pay the full amount because it is expensive. Heaven help me when I get on Medicare because it will force me to take generics and their isn't one of Lunesta yet. I tapered off

October 26, 2013 2:50 PM

Review by gengis42 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on Trazodone for about a year and a half now. I never have had a good nights sleep until I started trazodone. I started with 50mg and it worked decently but I only slept for 6hrs. About 6 months ago I started taking 100mg and I sleep like a baby for 7-9 hrs straight. The intense vivid dreams are actually quite fun. I have never had nightmares on it. When I wake up I am no more out of it than when I didn't take the medicine. I would highly recommend trazodone to anyone with sleeping problems.

217 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2013 4:29 AM

Review by glad to sleep (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been taking this for about 6 months. I have anxiety and depression, and can't fall asleep because my mind is constantly going like a video recorder. I love it. No side effects, feel good waking up, sleep like a baby all night long. Look forward to going to bed at night knowing I will sleep through the night.

177 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2013 6:47 AM