Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by gaga john:

This medicine didn't work. It caused heart palpitations!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2015 7:18 PM

Review by Bignanamary (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been taking 50 mg of Trazodone for several years for insomnia. I originally took Ambien, which I liked very much, but the insurance I had then stopped paying for it, so I changed. I travel quite a bit and don't sleep in my own bed frequently, which is the reason I needed a sleep aid. Trazodone has been just excellent. I pop one pill at bedtime and get a good 7-8 hours sleep with no side effects at all. I'm not depressed and didn't take it for depression, only for sleep. It must be a generic or at least a very cheap drug, because it has never cost me much. I have no side effects, although since I'm 72 years old, I do get up slowly, bend over slowly, etc. or I will get dizzy. However, this is not Trazodone's fault, it's me!

April 29, 2015 1:20 PM

Review by truckerbob:

I am a long haul trucker. I am not allowed to take most sleep aids. Looked into trazodone, found that its legal for me. I find that it works wonders! I sleep around 7 hrs wake up refreshed and ready for the day. I've suffered with insomnia for years so I have to say trazodone is a life saver.

April 24, 2015 7:21 AM

Review by C_Frailty (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was prescribed this a year ago after experiencing sudden insomnia. The insomnia never went away and aggravated my Bipolar II and literally put me into psychosis due to lack of sleep. At first I was given Lorazepam but decided I didn't want to stay on it forever due to dependency issues. After beginning Trazodone, I noticed an AMAZING transformation immediately. I slept like a baby. I had to up my dose from 50mg (starting dosage) to 100mg, to 150mg, to 200mg. Anything after 150mg was way too sedating for me and the hangover was pretty awful. I am back to 100mg, where I have been for just about a year now and I couldn't be happier. This medication changed my life.

April 23, 2015 4:11 PM

Review by Timmylee (taken for less than 1 month):

So last night I tried taking it. Kinda hesitant on taking it but I tried 50 mg and let me tell you, the past two weeks I've never feel asleep so fast and stayed asleep all night. I've tried everything from OTC sleep aids to natural remedies, and nothing worked as well as this. No side effects either! Gave me a good nights rest and finally after two weeks I feel like myself again.. We shall see how it works for my anxeity though.

April 22, 2015 6:22 AM

Review by KayRenee (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have taken Trazodone since I was 16 (I'm 25 now). I started out at 50 mg but found that 100 mg was the best for me. I honestly don't know what I would do without it. I fall asleep anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour after taking it (depending on how awake or tired I am). The only downside for me is that I literally cannot sleep a wink without taking it. I know part of it is physiological, but I have also developed a dependence over the years. I'd like to be able to sleep on my own eventually but it just works too well!

April 22, 2015 12:45 AM

Review by Debde:

I have been taking it few years now, i take it every night or I can't shut my brain down. I love it i sleep all night and I don't have any problems feeling droggy in the morning I swear by it. I have tried over the counter and natural and nothing worked until trazodone.

April 19, 2015 7:17 PM

Review by Sleeperguy:

I have taken tranzadone off and on for 13 years. Having a lot of stress in my life I couldnt fall asleep. It puts me to sleep in a half hour and I sleep through the night. I have been able to not take it and have no problems coming off. I have Generalized Anxiety and when it acts up tranzadone helps with the sleep issues. I honestly don't know what I would have done without it. It is also very inexpensive.

April 19, 2015 7:07 PM

Review by cas66 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had periods of insomnia for most of my life, they worsen when I am anxious/depressed. I started to take this about four months ago and I have been very happy with the results. I take it at night, about 1.5 hours before I want to sleep, sometimes two hours depending on how much coffee I have had during the day or how anxious I am feeling. This medication does not 'zonk' me out like most sleeping pills (it is not a sleeping pill), but my doctor thought it would work well for me without the side effects. I really never have any side effects unless I take the med too late, and then I find it a bit hard to get out of bed). I think it helps with my anxiety too, maybe that is because I am sleeping better. I take cipralex during too.

April 16, 2015 12:02 AM

Review by Smugs:

It only took a few minutes to feel the effects after taking 2 50mg tablets. I slept very well that night with no side effects.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 12:37 AM

Review by SayNoToTraz (taken for less than 1 month):

This was the first drug I was ever prescribed for insomnia and it worked great for 1 week and then I couldn't get more than 2 hours of sleep out of it...the side effects were pretty undesirable, as well, compared to other hypnotics that I have tried over the past year.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 8:54 PM

Review by klauren313:

My doctor prescribed this yesterday because I have had horrible insomnia. My girlfriend warned me that she had taken it years ago and it made her feel like a zombie the next day, on top of horrible nightmares. Unfortunately I had the exact same experience last night. I took the medicine at 8:30pm in hopes of being asleep by 9, 9:30 at the latest as I am up at 5am for work. Well, 12am rolls around and I am still wide awake in bed, but crazy dizzy and out of it. It did absolutely nothing to help with my mind racing. I finally fell asleep between 1am or 2am and had horrid nightmares to the point that I would wake up in a sweat, go back to sleep and have the same nightmare all over again. This morning I feel dizzy and have no focus

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 10:19 AM

Review by Sleepyhead1234:

I have been on Trazodone for about 5 years. I started at 25mg and have gone up as high as 150mg. Before taking Trazodone I needed wine to fall asleep. I could not sleep. I suffered from bad insomnia and anxiety. I took a mixture of Klonopin and Trazodone prescribed by my sleep dr. It is a wonder medicine. Since starting to take it 5 years ago, I have had about 2 nights where I couldn't fall asleep in 15 minutes. One thing to note: when I used to be on my phone/ipad before bed, I had a hard time falling asleep with it. Once I started reading before bed, I would take the med, read and pass out in 15 mins or so. No night wakings. I would allow yourself at least 7 hrs of sleep after taking the med.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 25, 2015 7:36 PM

Review by droctagonapus:

Helps me fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking it. It helps me stay asleep, too. When I wake up, however, I always get a sort of "sleep hangover." By that I mean I still feel sleepy and dizzy for a few hours after waking up. Overall, pretty good sleeping pill.

March 25, 2015 1:13 PM

Review by joylasoul (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for about as long as I can remember (I am 21). Since I was sexually molested 3 years ago, it continued to get worse, anxiety attacks, major depression and horrible insomnia. If I ever did get any sleep, it wasn't until after 5 am, and very minimal regarding hours I would sleep. I was sent to a behavioral hospital after a recent suicide attempt, and they prescribed me Trazodone 100 mg, along with Lexapro 5 mg. Within 30 minutes, I go straight to sleep. I will warn you though, within the first couple weeks, I would wake up groggy and feel confused throughout the day. After that, and the medication set in, I sleep better, feel energized, and I feel better.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2015 10:29 PM

Review by insomnia-guy:

This is a relatively gentle sleep aid. Only time I ever had problems with it is when I accidentally put it in with my morning medications!

March 23, 2015 3:42 PM

Review by VIcki51:

I have taken trazodone for about 15 years. I was started on a 50 milligram dose. During a stressful job change; I spoke with my doctor and went up to 100 milligrams. However I felt the 50 milligrams work better for me.

March 22, 2015 12:09 PM

Review by Neighbors:

March 22, 2015 12:05 PM

Review by Lindathenurse (taken for less than 1 month):

Just started taking Trazodone because of severe insomnia. I've recently been diagnosed with dysautonomia, and had to have a pacemaker. It's been a rough four months, but after all my medical issues, I couldn't sleep at night, sometimes getting one to two hours of sleep, and feeling exhausted. Lorazepam and Ambien work for me, but hate the fact that they were addictive, and didn't want to take either one consistently. So my doctor prescribed Trazodone 50 mg for me to try. I'm starting out at 25 mg per night, and while it doesn't do much for about two hours, once I do fall asleep, it's very restful, and I awake with no side effects. Hopefully this is the drug for me, and I can now start getting some much needed rest!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2015 10:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have taken other medications that either leave me restless and awake all night or give me such severe hallucinations I feel like I need to commit myself. Trazodone has really helped. I get a good 6 hours of sleep. No problem with the groggy headaches after my first month on it. Dosage 100mg

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2015 9:07 PM

Review by lovinnah (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been taking trazodone for over six years at 300 mg at night. I am still not sleeping. It used to help me so much but now I have insomnia and go night after night with no sleep. I am going to increase it to 450 tonight and see if it does any good but I honestly feel like I have built up an immunity to it.

March 11, 2015 10:37 PM

Review by CateAB (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been using Trazodone at 50 mg for anxiety related insomnia. I would try to sleep but I could not get my brain to shut off. It took effect within a week and I have been taking it for 20 years. My doctor is finally taking me off of it. Before Trazadone, sleep was hard to achieve. While I was on it, I got my 6 - 8 hours of sleep and woke up refreshed and ready for my coffee (only one a day).

March 11, 2015 3:28 PM

Review by HollyNoSleep:

I tried melatonin. Over the counter sleep aides. Natural remedies. Staying up 24hrs. Nothing. Doctor put me on Ambien. Two weeks later at a checkup he upped dosage. A week later wasn't working at that dose. Tried Trazodone. Works like a champ. We did up my dose once but I'd often only take half. Only downside is remembering no food. Works on empty stomach. And I don't move so whatever position I drift off in, that is how I stay. Stiff in the morning.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2015 10:43 PM

Review by Dave... (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Worked straight away. I took 100mg just before bed. I became most sedated from 30 minutes to one and a half hours after taking it. So, this is the best window to be in bed and ready to fall asleep. After that you still feel sedated but less so. Solid 8 hours sleep every night without waking. I had some dizziness for the first couple of weeks but this faded (not completely, but mostly). It does not matter if you are sleeping, but sometimes I can feel a little dizzy during the day.

March 5, 2015 12:20 PM

Review by Maxbyron:

Have used for 12 years for sleep. Take 400mg before bed, sometimes 500mg. I fall asleep within 15 minutes and sleep all through the night.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2015 3:38 PM