User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"Causes nightmares, HORRIBLE nightmares and I still can't get more than an hour or two of sleep and sometimes go all night without sleeping for two or three days sometimes, same as before I started taking this so-called sleep-aid."

professionalzombie June 21, 2015

"It's been a miracle"

jrh420 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

"The doctor prescribed it for me to replace Zolpidem, which was working just fine, but my mother, who was also my caregiver, suspected that I was abusing it. My doctor warned me about getting pregnant while taking this drug, so she asked me if I was sexually active or breastfeeding. To me, the drug was an overly powerful sedative. I woke up so groggy in the morning after a night of nightmares. My doctor and my mother forced me to take them, anyway. They made my mouth dry. They could be dangerous. It was like I was sleepwalking through life, and I was constantly fighting the drug. The nightmares became stronger and stronger. I finally had to stop taking them, and the nightmares linger to this day."

WishingStar June 14, 2015

"I have been having trouble sleeping for months after coming off of an atypical antipsychotic I have been on for several years. I sleep the normal amount most of the time, but I have not been getting any rest and have been irritable and staying up later than usual. I took trazodone last night and had the first dream I've had in months. I feel human again, and even taken as needed as I'm prescribed I believe will help me a ton. I am so happy to have actually slept well. I struggled with the horrible withdrawals of coming off of the medicine; so the trouble sleeping I did not recognize right away, I had depended so long on the antipsychotics to put me to sleep. Seems to be very mild as well, which is what I asked my psychiatrist for."

Kayce Jo (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2015

"Last night was the first time I tried trazadone 25mg. Fell asleep pretty quickly but had unpleasant dreams. Woke after about 7 or 8 hrs. with a horrible hangover feeling. After taking 2 Excedrin I felt almost normal. Will try again to see if I can overcome side effects."

azkat (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"Before my doctor suggested trying trazadone 50mg a night I was awake every hour on the hour every night. Now I take it right before bed and I sleep the whole night without a problem. I've been on it for about 3 years and don't have any complaints. It was a miracle for me"

Alexs1991 May 24, 2015

"I had horrible insomnia until I started trazadone. I sleep like a baby. It has been a life saver. I can now wake up and function well at work."

happygal46 May 22, 2015

"I am happy to finally find a sleep aid along with mood stabilizer all in one. I take 1mg Xanax 2x a day for anxiety. I was on ambien 10mg for sleep and it didnt work it took 20mg just to put me to sleep. My psychiatric put me on Trazadone 200-300mg at night and it works wonders. I wake up refreshed and in a better mood all in all. Im not depressed and my mood has improved drastically due to it."

Queen Cee (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"This one hasn't made me go to sleep at all. I am awake till 4 or 5 am then I fall to sleep."

Ed54 May 21, 2015

"Trazodone was great for about 2 weeks. Slept like a "normal" person, when using 50mg at bedtime. After 2 weeks, it seemed I was getting less and less sleep, and I switched to Seroquel. Because Seroquel leaves me tired the next day, I occasionally try Trazadone from time to time. If it does help, it's often only for 3-4 hours at a time. This is at 50mg. I haven't tried 100 for awhile. Other than not working 100% much of the time, it causes me to have an incredibly bad dry-mouth. I would suggest to anyone taking this medication to bring a bottle of water with them to bed."

JustWant2Sleep (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015

"I can honestly say this medication has saved my life. For years I had been taking diphenhydramine (benadryl) and had no sleep-wake cycle and never felt completely awake. About 8 months ago I tried out Ambien and Lunesta but my doctor wouldn't let me take them for any longer than a couple weeks. Then Trazodone was recommended, and while the first night was absolutely terrible (nausea, insomnia, overslept), and I am never going back. I can take it long term, it's cheap, it makes me feel genuinely tired and not drugged tired, and I finally have a sleep-wake cycle again. It is also very calming, which helps sleep come a lot faster. I can now get up in the morning and not hate my life. Bless this drug. I don't know where I'd be without it."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015

"This medicine didn't work. It caused heart palpitations!"

gaga john April 30, 2015

"I have been taking 50 mg of Trazodone for several years for insomnia. I originally took Ambien, which I liked very much, but the insurance I had then stopped paying for it, so I changed. I travel quite a bit and don't sleep in my own bed frequently, which is the reason I needed a sleep aid. Trazodone has been just excellent. I pop one pill at bedtime and get a good 7-8 hours sleep with no side effects at all. I'm not depressed and didn't take it for depression, only for sleep. It must be a generic or at least a very cheap drug, because it has never cost me much. I have no side effects, although since I'm 72 years old, I do get up slowly, bend over slowly, etc. or I will get dizzy. However, this is not Trazodone's fault, it's me!"

Bignanamary (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a long haul trucker. I am not allowed to take most sleep aids. Looked into trazodone, found that its legal for me. I find that it works wonders! I sleep around 7 hrs wake up refreshed and ready for the day. I've suffered with insomnia for years so I have to say trazodone is a life saver."

truckerbob April 24, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed this a year ago after experiencing sudden insomnia. The insomnia never went away and aggravated my Bipolar II and literally put me into psychosis due to lack of sleep. At first I was given Lorazepam but decided I didn't want to stay on it forever due to dependency issues. After beginning Trazodone, I noticed an AMAZING transformation immediately. I slept like a baby. I had to up my dose from 50mg (starting dosage) to 100mg, to 150mg, to 200mg. Anything after 150mg was way too sedating for me and the hangover was pretty awful. I am back to 100mg, where I have been for just about a year now and I couldn't be happier. This medication changed my life."

C_Frailty (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2015

"So last night I tried taking it. Kinda hesitant on taking it but I tried 50 mg and let me tell you, the past two weeks I've never feel asleep so fast and stayed asleep all night. I've tried everything from OTC sleep aids to natural remedies, and nothing worked as well as this. No side effects either! Gave me a good nights rest and finally after two weeks I feel like myself again.. We shall see how it works for my anxeity though."

Timmylee (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015

"I have taken Trazodone since I was 16 (I'm 25 now). I started out at 50 mg but found that 100 mg was the best for me. I honestly don't know what I would do without it. I fall asleep anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour after taking it (depending on how awake or tired I am). The only downside for me is that I literally cannot sleep a wink without taking it. I know part of it is physiological, but I have also developed a dependence over the years. I'd like to be able to sleep on my own eventually but it just works too well!"

KayRenee (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

"I have been taking it few years now, i take it every night or I can't shut my brain down. I love it i sleep all night and I don't have any problems feeling droggy in the morning I swear by it. I have tried over the counter and natural and nothing worked until trazodone."

Debde April 19, 2015

"I have taken tranzadone off and on for 13 years. Having a lot of stress in my life I couldnt fall asleep. It puts me to sleep in a half hour and I sleep through the night. I have been able to not take it and have no problems coming off. I have Generalized Anxiety and when it acts up tranzadone helps with the sleep issues. I honestly don't know what I would have done without it. It is also very inexpensive."

Sleeperguy April 19, 2015

"I've had periods of insomnia for most of my life, they worsen when I am anxious/depressed. I started to take this about four months ago and I have been very happy with the results. I take it at night, about 1.5 hours before I want to sleep, sometimes two hours depending on how much coffee I have had during the day or how anxious I am feeling. This medication does not 'zonk' me out like most sleeping pills (it is not a sleeping pill), but my doctor thought it would work well for me without the side effects. I really never have any side effects unless I take the med too late, and then I find it a bit hard to get out of bed). I think it helps with my anxiety too, maybe that is because I am sleeping better. I take cipralex during too."

cas66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

"It only took a few minutes to feel the effects after taking 2 50mg tablets. I slept very well that night with no side effects."

Smugs April 13, 2015

"This was the first drug I was ever prescribed for insomnia and it worked great for 1 week and then I couldn't get more than 2 hours of sleep out of it...the side effects were pretty undesirable, as well, compared to other hypnotics that I have tried over the past year."

SayNoToTraz (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2015

"My doctor prescribed this yesterday because I have had horrible insomnia. My girlfriend warned me that she had taken it years ago and it made her feel like a zombie the next day, on top of horrible nightmares. Unfortunately I had the exact same experience last night. I took the medicine at 8:30pm in hopes of being asleep by 9, 9:30 at the latest as I am up at 5am for work. Well, 12am rolls around and I am still wide awake in bed, but crazy dizzy and out of it. It did absolutely nothing to help with my mind racing. I finally fell asleep between 1am or 2am and had horrid nightmares to the point that I would wake up in a sweat, go back to sleep and have the same nightmare all over again. This morning I feel dizzy and have no focus"

klauren313 April 9, 2015

"I have been on Trazodone for about 5 years. I started at 25mg and have gone up as high as 150mg. Before taking Trazodone I needed wine to fall asleep. I could not sleep. I suffered from bad insomnia and anxiety. I took a mixture of Klonopin and Trazodone prescribed by my sleep dr. It is a wonder medicine. Since starting to take it 5 years ago, I have had about 2 nights where I couldn't fall asleep in 15 minutes. One thing to note: when I used to be on my phone/ipad before bed, I had a hard time falling asleep with it. Once I started reading before bed, I would take the med, read and pass out in 15 mins or so. No night wakings. I would allow yourself at least 7 hrs of sleep after taking the med."

Sleepyhead1234 March 25, 2015

"Helps me fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking it. It helps me stay asleep, too. When I wake up, however, I always get a sort of "sleep hangover." By that I mean I still feel sleepy and dizzy for a few hours after waking up. Overall, pretty good sleeping pill."

droctagonapus March 25, 2015