User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I read a lot of reviews for trazodone on this web site. It has very different results for different people. I thought I would give my experience. My dosage is 200mg. It works extremely well at least 97% of the time. I experience no side effects. On the very rare occasion that I don't sleep, it's usually because of some other external reason, such as pain from a broken hip and leg from an earlier accident. I consider it a great medication for sleep since most other sleep meds have a quite large chance of becoming addictive. I hope this helps."

cubic_inch (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

"Trazodone 50mg tablets has been wonderful to help my insomnia. I had been prescribed Ambien: It caused me to sleep walk. Trazodone gives me 7-8 hours sleep without any problems. I do not used it every night only when I have very difficult times sleeping. It works wonders for me."

Happygirlnow July 26, 2015

"My doctor prescribed me 50 mg of this medication. It worked for the first 3 days, now it doesn't work at all. I contacted my doctor and she said my body has to get use to it. What does that suppose to mean. Do any one have any suggestions on what I should do?"

Synovia Bias July 26, 2015

"They are real good for sleep. All I need is 1/4-1/2 of pill or I can't wake up."

Mamamilz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2015

"I am a 57 year old woman. Had been on Ambien for years. Finally got to the point where I was waking up several times and eating all through the night. Have fought weight issues my entire life so could not deal with the ongoing weight gain, not to mention being perpetually exhausted. I then tried Temazepam which worked for a few weeks but then I started waking up during the night. My doctor recently prescribed Trazodone 50 mg. The first three nights were horrible. It took me forever to go to sleep and I woke up every few hours, tossing and turning. The past three nights I have slept better than I have in years. 7 to 8 hours a night!! No groginess in the morning. Feel rested and happy. I'm in heaven!!"

Sleepless in KY (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

"I've been taking this for about 10 years now. It works well for me. I am now taking 225 mg. per night. The only thing I worry about is dependence which I know I am. But, it allows me to sleep for about 5 hours nightly."

Woodle July 10, 2015

"I first used trazodone at the age of 12. As a teenager I had both depression and minor insomnia, so my doctor quickly decided that trazodone, an anti depressant that also causes severe drowziness, may be the perfect medicine. When you first start taking this drug, be warned. You will sleep a LOT. You may have nightmares. You will wake up groggy as all hell. And you will very, very quickly develop a resistance and need to increase the dosage. As such, I can't recommend this drug outside of severe cases of insomnia, and even less for depression due to extreme side effects."

RogueColin (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2015

"I'm 14 and already struggle with insomnia. before I started taking medication for it I couldn't sleep AT ALL, I would stay up until 4 in the morning just laying in bed and usually I would just not sleep. During the day I would try to exhaust myself so that at night it would be harder to stay awake, but my brain was still running laps. I was prescribed Trazadone last summer and I have never slept better all my life then I had in this past year. I take the pill and I fall asleep in less then 20 mins, my dosage is 100mg and I'm not sure if that's a lot but it seems strong and it works really well, HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!!!"

lmex July 1, 2015

"After suffering from insomnia since I was a child, I have tried many medication, home remedies and nothing really helped. When I was in nursing school it only became worse. I went to see my DR. he recommended Seroquel. I was on Seroquel for about a year and I hated it, horrible nightmares, groggy feeling, not sleeping, irritable, and it worsen my bipolar symptoms. When I told him I was not taking Seroquel anymore he gave Trazodone. I worked right away I sleep as a "normal" person does(8 hours). This medication has really changed my life with sleeping more and mood swings under control. I been taking it for a few years now."

NurseV (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"Causes nightmares, HORRIBLE nightmares and I still can't get more than an hour or two of sleep and sometimes go all night without sleeping for two or three days sometimes, same as before I started taking this so-called sleep-aid."

professionalzombie June 21, 2015

"It's been a miracle"

jrh420 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2015

"The doctor prescribed it for me to replace Zolpidem, which was working just fine, but my mother, who was also my caregiver, suspected that I was abusing it. My doctor warned me about getting pregnant while taking this drug, so she asked me if I was sexually active or breastfeeding. To me, the drug was an overly powerful sedative. I woke up so groggy in the morning after a night of nightmares. My doctor and my mother forced me to take them, anyway. They made my mouth dry. They could be dangerous. It was like I was sleepwalking through life, and I was constantly fighting the drug. The nightmares became stronger and stronger. I finally had to stop taking them, and the nightmares linger to this day."

WishingStar June 14, 2015

"I have been having trouble sleeping for months after coming off of an atypical antipsychotic I have been on for several years. I sleep the normal amount most of the time, but I have not been getting any rest and have been irritable and staying up later than usual. I took trazodone last night and had the first dream I've had in months. I feel human again, and even taken as needed as I'm prescribed I believe will help me a ton. I am so happy to have actually slept well. I struggled with the horrible withdrawals of coming off of the medicine; so the trouble sleeping I did not recognize right away, I had depended so long on the antipsychotics to put me to sleep. Seems to be very mild as well, which is what I asked my psychiatrist for."

Kayce Jo (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2015

"Last night was the first time I tried trazadone 25mg. Fell asleep pretty quickly but had unpleasant dreams. Woke after about 7 or 8 hrs. with a horrible hangover feeling. After taking 2 Excedrin I felt almost normal. Will try again to see if I can overcome side effects."

azkat (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"Before my doctor suggested trying trazadone 50mg a night I was awake every hour on the hour every night. Now I take it right before bed and I sleep the whole night without a problem. I've been on it for about 3 years and don't have any complaints. It was a miracle for me"

Alexs1991 May 24, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had horrible insomnia until I started trazadone. I sleep like a baby. It has been a life saver. I can now wake up and function well at work."

happygal46 May 22, 2015

"I am happy to finally find a sleep aid along with mood stabilizer all in one. I take 1mg Xanax 2x a day for anxiety. I was on ambien 10mg for sleep and it didnt work it took 20mg just to put me to sleep. My psychiatric put me on Trazadone 200-300mg at night and it works wonders. I wake up refreshed and in a better mood all in all. Im not depressed and my mood has improved drastically due to it."

Queen Cee (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

"This one hasn't made me go to sleep at all. I am awake till 4 or 5 am then I fall to sleep."

Ed54 May 21, 2015

"Trazodone was great for about 2 weeks. Slept like a "normal" person, when using 50mg at bedtime. After 2 weeks, it seemed I was getting less and less sleep, and I switched to Seroquel. Because Seroquel leaves me tired the next day, I occasionally try Trazadone from time to time. If it does help, it's often only for 3-4 hours at a time. This is at 50mg. I haven't tried 100 for awhile. Other than not working 100% much of the time, it causes me to have an incredibly bad dry-mouth. I would suggest to anyone taking this medication to bring a bottle of water with them to bed."

JustWant2Sleep (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015

"I can honestly say this medication has saved my life. For years I had been taking diphenhydramine (benadryl) and had no sleep-wake cycle and never felt completely awake. About 8 months ago I tried out Ambien and Lunesta but my doctor wouldn't let me take them for any longer than a couple weeks. Then Trazodone was recommended, and while the first night was absolutely terrible (nausea, insomnia, overslept), and I am never going back. I can take it long term, it's cheap, it makes me feel genuinely tired and not drugged tired, and I finally have a sleep-wake cycle again. It is also very calming, which helps sleep come a lot faster. I can now get up in the morning and not hate my life. Bless this drug. I don't know where I'd be without it."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine didn't work. It caused heart palpitations!"

gaga john April 30, 2015

"I have been taking 50 mg of Trazodone for several years for insomnia. I originally took Ambien, which I liked very much, but the insurance I had then stopped paying for it, so I changed. I travel quite a bit and don't sleep in my own bed frequently, which is the reason I needed a sleep aid. Trazodone has been just excellent. I pop one pill at bedtime and get a good 7-8 hours sleep with no side effects at all. I'm not depressed and didn't take it for depression, only for sleep. It must be a generic or at least a very cheap drug, because it has never cost me much. I have no side effects, although since I'm 72 years old, I do get up slowly, bend over slowly, etc. or I will get dizzy. However, this is not Trazodone's fault, it's me!"

Bignanamary (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a long haul trucker. I am not allowed to take most sleep aids. Looked into trazodone, found that its legal for me. I find that it works wonders! I sleep around 7 hrs wake up refreshed and ready for the day. I've suffered with insomnia for years so I have to say trazodone is a life saver."

truckerbob April 24, 2015

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed this a year ago after experiencing sudden insomnia. The insomnia never went away and aggravated my Bipolar II and literally put me into psychosis due to lack of sleep. At first I was given Lorazepam but decided I didn't want to stay on it forever due to dependency issues. After beginning Trazodone, I noticed an AMAZING transformation immediately. I slept like a baby. I had to up my dose from 50mg (starting dosage) to 100mg, to 150mg, to 200mg. Anything after 150mg was way too sedating for me and the hangover was pretty awful. I am back to 100mg, where I have been for just about a year now and I couldn't be happier. This medication changed my life."

C_Frailty (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So last night I tried taking it. Kinda hesitant on taking it but I tried 50 mg and let me tell you, the past two weeks I've never feel asleep so fast and stayed asleep all night. I've tried everything from OTC sleep aids to natural remedies, and nothing worked as well as this. No side effects either! Gave me a good nights rest and finally after two weeks I feel like myself again.. We shall see how it works for my anxeity though."

Timmylee (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2015