User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"I've started having anxiety attacks about half a year ago, and have been depressed since high school, which had kept me up most nights, worrying about my heart rate. 25mg of trazodone makes me very sleepy and puts an end to racing thoughts, and has also made my uncomfortable dreams subside. I do experience some dizziness and heavy eyelids, but other than that this medicine helps a lot. Went from sleeping around 4 hours to more than 8 again. Although I cannot imagine anyone taking 300 mg of this and being okay the next day."

D$ December 21, 2013

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My doctor told me he takes 50mg to help me sleep while his mind relaxes after a stressful day so I have been on the same dosage for almost a month now. It really works for me. I have bladder problems and been dealing with being very anxious about some other issues as well. I have less trouble falling asleep and my mind pays less attention to the call of the bathroom. At one time I was getting up 5 or more times and now I get up about 2 times a night. I am getting more deep sleep and feeling more rested when I get up."

IamBrisk (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2013

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had insomnia for years now and I finally asked my psych. for something to help me get some sleep. She gave me trazodone. I remember taking it in the way past to treat depression and I took upwards of 400 mg. Now I tried 300mg the first night and I could barely stand the next day. I tried 150mg the next night and I still felt drowzy the next day. So I said forget it. Then last night I cut the 150 Tri scored tablet into about 10mg. I slept like a rock and woke up without feeling drowzy. I feel alive and rested. I make a bunch of these small trazodones for myself and will take it until I get used to it. I give this medicine an A ."

Teacherguy35 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2013

173 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used everything and including everything that end with -done. I had a shift work job for 20 years and I left it then still couldn't sleep after getting a day shift only job. Nothing worked and everything left me "Loopy" for 4 hours after I woke up. Believe it or not, Tylenol PM worked best for me!"

Mr B. (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2013

"Have been fighting insomnia for years. Previously on Lunesta then Ambien because of insurance approval. Ambien was no longer working after a year and I came to the conclusion it was due to dependency and I wanted to quit. My doc suggested trazodone as it is non habit forming. Tried 50mg and it knocked me out through the night and most of the next day. Horrible hangover and dizzy feeling. I layed off for a few days then cut the pill in half to 25mg and was not at all effective. Next night took 3/4 of the tab and again knocked me out and zonked most of the next day. Think I'm giving on this. "

Nozzzzzzs December 3, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have serious insomnia issues worse than most people. Trazodone helps to initiate sleep but not to maintain it. However, if you have another medicine that helps with sleep maintenance or that increases slow wave sleep, trazodone can be a good ally. (for me, a combination of pregabalin and gabapentin helps with the latter). Between 50-150 mg should do the trick. If the dose is too high, instead of sleeping you may get stuck in a state that is between sleeping and awake, which is not so great. Hence it's good to titrate upwards and find that sweet spot."

Akester (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Took 100mg for the first time last night. Don't think I rolled over all night - my hip is aching this morning, possibly because I slept in one position. I slept through my alarm this morning. Three cups of coffee later, I'm still groggy. I'll try 50mg tonight and see if it works without the side effects. I'd advise starting at a low dosage and working your way up."

GardenGuru (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2013

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started taking trazodone as an aid to sleep, since I was upping my alprazolam to try and fall asleep, and didn't want to keep upping it (I take 1.5 mg/day). Have had trouble falling and staying asleep since I was young. Also take 40 mg citalopram for depression. Trazodone works great for me at 25 mg, taken ~30 minutes or so before sleeping, along with 0.5-1 mg alprazolam. Does have a dizzying effect, so I never take it unless I know I'm going to bed. Anything over 25 mg for me causes a hangover the next day (fogginess, tiredness), but I am petite. But it works wonders to calm a racing mind and get me to sleep and wake up feeling refreshed on 25 mg. Haven't experience other side effects, while taking mostly every day for ~ 2 years."

anon5001 October 29, 2013

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on every antidepressant in the book except the MAO inhibitors for the past 20 years. In the past year every antidepressant in the class SSRI OR SNRI has given me diarrhea and I quit taking all of them. I am now on trazodone 225 mg which is partially helpful for insomnia and depression. I am also taking neurontin 300 mg. 3 times per day for pain which isn't helping but it does help my mood. I also am taking an old drug vistaril 50-100 mg. per night. No one pill will help me sleep. I take Lunesta 3 mg. which helps most of the time. My insurance won't pay the full amount because it is expensive. Heaven help me when I get on Medicare because it will force me to take generics and their isn't one of Lunesta yet. I tapered off"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2013

"I have been on Trazodone for about a year and a half now. I never have had a good nights sleep until I started trazodone. I started with 50mg and it worked decently but I only slept for 6hrs. About 6 months ago I started taking 100mg and I sleep like a baby for 7-9 hrs straight. The intense vivid dreams are actually quite fun. I have never had nightmares on it. When I wake up I am no more out of it than when I didn't take the medicine. I would highly recommend trazodone to anyone with sleeping problems."

gengis42 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 10, 2013

253 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking this for about 6 months. I have anxiety and depression, and can't fall asleep because my mind is constantly going like a video recorder. I love it. No side effects, feel good waking up, sleep like a baby all night long. Look forward to going to bed at night knowing I will sleep through the night."

glad to sleep (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 4, 2013

213 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Taken 30 minutes before bedtime, 50mg of Trazodone made me extremely drowsy. I probably fell asleep rather quickly, but I tossed-n-turned throughout the night! I also experienced very strange dreams. Twelve hours after taking the medication, I awoke feeling very groggy, off-balanced, and had a headache; hang-over feeling."

Anonymous October 3, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have suffered from insomnia for 4 years. I tried Ambien: 10 mg wouldn't keep me asleep for more than 3-4 hours. I'm rather paranoid about new medications, since I fear weird side effects. So with trepidation I tried Trazodone (after having it on my night stand for almost two weeks until I got the courage!). I'm so thankful that I did. It put me gently into a nice sleep, I slept the first time for 7 1/2 hours straight and had only a couple tolerable side effects; my nose gets a little stuffy and a few times I've woken with slight dry cough. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I've lost 14 lbs since taking it! (2 months) An added bonus is that it helps keep my mind from racing so I CAN fall asleep. Hooray, Trazodone!"

Sleepymo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2013

176 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had trouble sleeping since Junior High School. Tried every thing under the sun. Started taking trazodone for less then a week. I do fall asleep within half hour of taking 50 mg, what a life saver, but I do wake up a little "out of it". I do sleep through the night. "

cortizcasw (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2013

"I have been taking trazodone on and off for about 8 years for insomnia. If I don't take it I can only sleep for about 2 hours. I take 50 to 100 Mg. If I take 50 Mg I get about 5 to 6 hours of good sleep with no side effects. If I take 100 Mg I will get 8 to 12 hours of sleep but have very vivid nightmares that seem very real and find myself thinking about the dreams for several days. Hope this helps."

netgrouse (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2013

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Trazodone works well me. I%u2019m 76 and about 10 years ago I started to sleep poorly when I had a mild bout of diverticulitis, which made it hard to fall asleep because of stomach pain. I began to take a mild sleeping aid, 50 mg diphenhydramine, which worked OK most of the time for 8 years. Then I had a recurrence of mild diverticulitis and diphenhydramine became ineffective. I switched to 50 mg trazodone, which I supplemented with 750 mg of acetaminophen. I take the two medicines together when I go to bed; read for 30 minutes; turn the lights out and fall asleep in usually less than 15 minutes. Most nights I sleep for more than 4 hours before I wake up because I need to urinate; I usually get back to sleep OK. "

The Equalizer September 20, 2013

"Just upped to 2 x 100mg, taken 1/2 hr before bed gives me about 2 extra hours of sleep. Calms me down and lets me go to sleep when lights are out. Very minor side effects...some dry mouth and a little "larger" in the morning. I wake up refreshed. It improved my quality of life for sure."

snakepriscin (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2013

"This helps me fall asleep fast and stay asleep most nights. I wake feeling rested, without that drowsy feeling the next morning. I would tell everyone who has insomnia to take this. I take trazodone every night and have not experienced any side effects. What a lifesaver"

rested! (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2013

133 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Most of my life I've been a good sleeper but as I've aged not so much anymore. The reasons are mostly related to pain. My rheumatologist prescribed trazodone because I could not tolerate most of the other meds. So I've been taking Tylenol PM with good results but with an awful hangover of 5-6 hours the morning after. So far the trazodone has given me the same benefit minus the morning fog. I've cut the pill in half and it has given me several nights of painless continued sleep. Awakening rested, painless and ready to start my day. Hopefully this may solve my sleepless problem and some pain too. I don't like medication but sometimes it really is necessary."

Spunky Gal (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started trazodone 5 years ago during an acute episode of depression. I take Cymbalta as a maintenance against depression. Trazodone at 50 mg is very effective for me - it takes about 45 minutes to kick in. I get 7-8 hrs of sleep and do not feel groggy the next day. I can also split the 50 mg tablet and take 25 mg and get decent sleep - not as deep but still restful. I take trazodone every night and have not experienced any side effects in over 5 years."

tnr (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 29, 2013

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been using trazodone for three years. I started on 25mg and this is still sufficient. I like that I do not have any side effects. I would encourage people to try trazodone before any type of scheduled sleep aid."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2013

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started off at 50mg, but had to move up to 150 - 200mg for it to put me to sleep, and I sleep a solid 8-9 hours easy, and hardly wake up at night. I also take 50mg twice a day in the day time to keep me mellow (I am bipolar 1 with psychotic features/ borderline personality disorder) and to help with anxiety- it works like a charm, and does not put me to sleep. I would like to note that I have yet to meet anyone else that takes it like this, but my psych doc says if it works, don't stop."

deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2013

"Plain and simple, this medicine has been a life saver. Been taking 100 mg for a few years. If I forget to take it, I am wide awake after 3 or 4 hours. When taken, 7 hours is generally the minimum. Side effects are FAR outweighed by the benefits. Going to begin coming off of Cymbalta completely. I attribute that to having a better outlook on things due to being fully rested. It is amazing what a good nights sleep does for the mind! I actually enjoy my occasional movie like vivid dreams."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2013

"Trazodone was given to me to help me sleep. Worked great until time to get up. I woke up with a headache, dizzy and drowsy felt awful the next morning."

sax August 14, 2013

"I've taken trazodone (150 mg) every night for 8 years for sleep apnea and severe insomnia. It makes me fall asleep and stay asleep, but it makes me tired and drowsy the next day. It also gives me nightmares, and I wake up in cold sweats, and I've even woken up shouting before. I've tried over the counter meds and things like Lunesta but they make me hallucinate, and they don't make me tired enough to fall asleep. Overall Trazodone was effective but with one bad side effect."

Katherineleigh August 2, 2013