User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by Nelly112 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been taking this for a year now. I am worried that the day I try going off this- I may have an issue. I'm in bed within 30 minutes of when I take this 99% of the time! I take 50mg a night. I've taken 100mg before, and unless you have 12 hours for sleep, I would not recommend it.

September 17, 2012 4:59 PM

Review by Hyster (taken for less than 1 month):

I have taken 50mg of trazodone with 7.5mg of Remeron, Zyprexa with excellent results. Waking up feeling rested, with no morning anxiety. I also take 75mg Effexor XR for daytime depression, it dose give me insomnia so the odd combination for sleep is extremely helpful 8-9 hrs sleep. I will be upping the dose of trazodone and getting rid of the other two as I think trazodone is the best. I have taken it in the past too with great results.

August 4, 2012 2:11 AM

Review by Gertraud Hammer (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered from insomnia on and off, ever since my husband died 3 years 7 months ago. Sometimes I get sleep for no longer then a couple of hours. At times I don't get any sleep at all for 4 to 5 nights. When that happens I feel like a zombie, can't function, I get very irritable and I don't want anyone around me. My Doctor has put me on different kind of sleeping pills, but none of them worked. I just can't take it anymore. After complainig about it again and again (I'm afraid if I don't get any kind of sleep eventually I will go over the edge) my doctor finally prescribed 100mg of trazodone. After years of little or no sleep, I managed to get a whole 6 hours of sleep.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 4:40 PM

Review by joeiy02 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My son has been taking this for awhile now. He is 6. He is on 75 mg, and 10mg of Melatonin, he gets a little sleepy, before bed, but otherwise it's hard for him to fall asleep, and he is up at 5:30-6:00am every morning. I don't like it. I was on this at one time too, did nothing for me, so now I take Ambien CR. I have been on Ambien for about 9 years. Wouldn't change a thing. I wish I could find something that worked for my son now.

June 7, 2012 10:39 PM

Review by Sleepylady (taken for less than 1 month):

I am taking 50 mg each night before bed. I have been on it for 8 days. Trying to get off Ativan. I fall asleep very fast but still wake up 2 or 3 times. BUT, when I do wake up I am noticing I do not have the racing thoughts as before. And I fall back to sleep in a few minutes. So far the only side effect is I am sleepy the next day. The stuffy nose and dry mouth are better than at first.

June 1, 2012 5:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking trazodone for 2 years now. My doctor prescribed it to me to help with depression and insomnia. I now take 200 mg a night alone with another prescription sleep pill and I am FINALLY able to sleep a whole night through. I have run out of trazodone and had to wait a few days until I got the money to get them and I can really tell a difference when I don't have them. It helps me get a good nights sleep AND helps with the depression. I would recommend this to anyone who needs it.

May 2, 2012 1:45 AM

Great for Insomnia and depression. Works wonder for me.

April 27, 2012 1:25 AM

Review by sugatea:

Taking 50mg's at night and I still get up 2 x's a night and my mouth gets very dry.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2012 8:48 AM

Review by DLSR:

I was prescribed Trazodone a few days ago for insomnia. Before, I would wake up several times a night for as long as 30 to 40 minutes at a time. Now I take my pill, wait about 30 minutes, go to bed and fall asleep right away, and I never wake up! I also take Celexa every day which has helped my depression, but the Trazodone is wonderful! I highly recommend this medicine for insomnia/sleep deprivation.

April 4, 2012 10:33 AM

I have only taken this 3 nights so far but I can say I have slept more in those 3 nights than in the past month. Started at 25mg now at 50 and the horrifying nightmares I was having before are gone. I was barely functioning on 1-2 hours of sleep a night and got 7 last night. I wish I had found this medication years ago. I'm a little foggy in the morning but that only lasts about an hour or so and I feel so much better with sleep.

March 29, 2012 12:37 PM

Review by miller.rachelle89:

This medicine worked like no other. I have insomnia and this helps me sleep through the night without waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep and it keeps my mood stable throughout the day. I have less headaches and migraines because I'm getting sleep, and I don't feel too bad in the morning like other medicines that affect me. This is the only medication I take. I have anxiety, depression and insomnia and this pill takes care of all 3. Love it.

March 12, 2012 3:40 AM

Trazodone is the greatest thing to happen to me. A neurologist had me on Xanax nightly for 2 years to help calm anxiety in attempt to calm migraines. Xanax eventually caused horrible dependency and increased anxiety and the withdrawal was horrible. Trazodone has helped me sleep and helped my overall anxiety level. I never feel groggy in the morning. I am on a very low dose of only 25 mg/night and it has done wonders.

March 11, 2012 8:27 PM

Trazodone puts me to sleep within 15 minutes and I never wake up throughout the night! I also can take it sleeping for 2 hours or 12 hours and never wake up feeling groggy or super tired. No side effects and I've been taking it for about 4 years. I highly recommend this medication!

March 5, 2012 6:35 PM

Review by Gia727:

I suffer from anxiety that keeps me awake all night. My mind wont stop thinking/worrying when I lay down. Remeron cured all of that, I took it for a year, but the weight gain was horrible, so I had to get off, I tapered off Remeron and the insomnia came back before I fully tapered, my Pdoc added Buspar and Trazodone 75mg to my Remeron taper and so far my sleep is good, I am now down to 7.5mg Remeron and actually sleeping wonderfully, some mornings I wake up too early but I am not complaining. I wish I had tried Trazodone before Remeron, but Remeron is good for a deep major dark anxiety/depression where all other meds have failed and with me SSRI/SRI donot work well with me, so Remeron was needed at that time but Trazodone is recommended.

February 29, 2012 9:30 PM

I've been having issues getting a good night sleep. I would not have a hard time falling asleep but would wake up several times at night, mainly due to anxiety. I've been taking Trazodone for only a few days so it is a bit premature for me to have a real opinion on the drug. So far, it has helped me sleeping and I feel happier too. I take 50mg at night. The significant side effect I've noticed though is water retention. My hands are horribly swollen (to a point where it's painful) and I've gained 7 lbs in a week (which is absolutely not usual for me). I'm a bit torn right now between continuing taking Trazodone and stopping it as the water retention side effect is really bad.

February 27, 2012 3:14 PM

Love it. My body has always been exhausted but my brain just couldn't flip the switch to turn off and go to bed. I would always be up until 3-4am without yawning. Trazodone makes me very drowsy and I fall asleep typically 30-45 minutes after taking it. I sleep straight through the night but I usually wake up with a lingering headache in the morning. Never take this if you are going to get less than 8 hours of sleep.

February 24, 2012 4:43 PM

Review by quigly:

Too strong! I was prescribed 50mg trazodone for insomnia and, at even half the prescribed dose (25mg), found the medicine TOO sedating. Found myself unable to keep my eyes open after it kicks in but not particularly sleepy--lying awake and wishing the heavy effects would quickly wear off. Side effects were bad, especially dry mouth, vivid dreams, and a pounding headache the next day.

February 10, 2012 3:55 AM

Review by BrooklynNicole:

Desyrel (trazodone): I was taking regular Trazodone on and off for a couple of years, it stopped working so my doctor switched me to Desyrel. It's a good pill for the fact that it does make you tired, but I'd make sure you're gonna get 8 or more hours of sleep before you take it. I was prescribed 100mg pills, and I only took half of a pill whenever I took it, and I had the hardest time waking up the next day. Also, with the reg Trazodone and with Desyrel, it took a long time for it to kick in for me (2 hours), but that might be because I have a high tolerance to pills. If you're new to this medicine, take it on the weekend, or whenever you can sleep in, so you can see how it works.

February 7, 2012 2:13 PM

Review by Sleepless in Ohio:

100mg, 3 hours after taking still staring at walls. Woke up every couple hours. Groggy in the morning. Felt bad all day.

February 4, 2012 10:25 PM

Review by Lolamurray:

Took trazadone for the first time last night at 200 mg because nothing else worked such as Ambien and Xanax. It was absolutely miserable, my mouth was extremely dry, nose was stuffed up, and nausea. I couldn't even get out of bed the next day and missed work. It's 5 pm and I am still out of it and groggy, I am having to cancel all plans tonight.

February 2, 2012 7:05 PM

Review by arickp:

Once you find the right dosage for you, trazodone will put you to sleep. I'm no stranger to sedatives - I've taken Klonopin, Valium, Xanax, diphenhydramine, etc. None of those medications made me as clumsy as trazodone. I was falling over objects in the house and running into walls. I also felt my mental capabilities decrease - trying to complete a full sentence was a daunting task. Additionally, I experienced muscles aches, just like the side effects say. They were so bad that I could not even get out of bed and had to miss work. It's unfortunate that doctors don't like to prescribe benzodiazepines. They helped me a lot than trazodone.

January 19, 2012 3:05 PM

Review by kids mammam:

I have been taking 200mg of trazodone since December 10 2011, at night for sleep. It takes me one and a half to two hours after taking it to fall asleep and I wake back up between 1 and 3am. I will be seeing my doctor in a week to see what he says about going to a higher dosage at night. Ambien 10mg only worked for me a short time and Lunesta 3mg never worked for me. Lunesta just gave me a BAD headache all day.

January 10, 2012 10:20 AM

Trazodone worked about 50% of the time for me, with unpleasant side effects.

January 9, 2012 8:07 PM

I have been on trazodone for years to help with my anxiety and insomnia. I've had to increase my dosage because at first it wasn't working very well and my doctor recommended I increase my dosage or started taking 1 pill and a half of another. This medicine works for me 85% of the time, there are still many sleepless nights and anxiety outbreaks, but it does help. I stopped taking it for a few days and my anxiety levels were through the roof, so I guess this means it helps.

January 5, 2012 12:01 AM

Review by robro:

I have severe insomnia. I have gone 4 days at a time with no sleep at all. I have also experienced hallucinations when I go 3 to 4 days without a wink of sleep. I have tried Ambien without even a yawn. Restoril gave me bad nightmares, I would awaken by throwing myself out of bed. I have just started taking Trazodone 50mg (3days now) and it knocks me out. It is the first time in years that I have slept through the night. However I am experiencing side effects when I awaken that are lasting throughout the day. Headaches, neck ache and weak, rubbery legs. If the side effects do go away I would give it a 10.

December 23, 2011 7:22 PM