User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by DLSR:

I was prescribed Trazodone a few days ago for insomnia. Before, I would wake up several times a night for as long as 30 to 40 minutes at a time. Now I take my pill, wait about 30 minutes, go to bed and fall asleep right away, and I never wake up! I also take Celexa every day which has helped my depression, but the Trazodone is wonderful! I highly recommend this medicine for insomnia/sleep deprivation.

April 4, 2012 10:33 AM

I have only taken this 3 nights so far but I can say I have slept more in those 3 nights than in the past month. Started at 25mg now at 50 and the horrifying nightmares I was having before are gone. I was barely functioning on 1-2 hours of sleep a night and got 7 last night. I wish I had found this medication years ago. I'm a little foggy in the morning but that only lasts about an hour or so and I feel so much better with sleep.

March 29, 2012 12:37 PM

Review by miller.rachelle89:

This medicine worked like no other. I have insomnia and this helps me sleep through the night without waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep and it keeps my mood stable throughout the day. I have less headaches and migraines because I'm getting sleep, and I don't feel too bad in the morning like other medicines that affect me. This is the only medication I take. I have anxiety, depression and insomnia and this pill takes care of all 3. Love it.

March 12, 2012 3:40 AM

Trazodone is the greatest thing to happen to me. A neurologist had me on Xanax nightly for 2 years to help calm anxiety in attempt to calm migraines. Xanax eventually caused horrible dependency and increased anxiety and the withdrawal was horrible. Trazodone has helped me sleep and helped my overall anxiety level. I never feel groggy in the morning. I am on a very low dose of only 25 mg/night and it has done wonders.

March 11, 2012 8:27 PM

Trazodone puts me to sleep within 15 minutes and I never wake up throughout the night! I also can take it sleeping for 2 hours or 12 hours and never wake up feeling groggy or super tired. No side effects and I've been taking it for about 4 years. I highly recommend this medication!

March 5, 2012 6:35 PM

Review by Gia727:

I suffer from anxiety that keeps me awake all night. My mind wont stop thinking/worrying when I lay down. Remeron cured all of that, I took it for a year, but the weight gain was horrible, so I had to get off, I tapered off Remeron and the insomnia came back before I fully tapered, my Pdoc added Buspar and Trazodone 75mg to my Remeron taper and so far my sleep is good, I am now down to 7.5mg Remeron and actually sleeping wonderfully, some mornings I wake up too early but I am not complaining. I wish I had tried Trazodone before Remeron, but Remeron is good for a deep major dark anxiety/depression where all other meds have failed and with me SSRI/SRI donot work well with me, so Remeron was needed at that time but Trazodone is recommended.

February 29, 2012 9:30 PM

I've been having issues getting a good night sleep. I would not have a hard time falling asleep but would wake up several times at night, mainly due to anxiety. I've been taking Trazodone for only a few days so it is a bit premature for me to have a real opinion on the drug. So far, it has helped me sleeping and I feel happier too. I take 50mg at night. The significant side effect I've noticed though is water retention. My hands are horribly swollen (to a point where it's painful) and I've gained 7 lbs in a week (which is absolutely not usual for me). I'm a bit torn right now between continuing taking Trazodone and stopping it as the water retention side effect is really bad.

February 27, 2012 3:14 PM

Love it. My body has always been exhausted but my brain just couldn't flip the switch to turn off and go to bed. I would always be up until 3-4am without yawning. Trazodone makes me very drowsy and I fall asleep typically 30-45 minutes after taking it. I sleep straight through the night but I usually wake up with a lingering headache in the morning. Never take this if you are going to get less than 8 hours of sleep.

February 24, 2012 4:43 PM

Review by quigly:

Too strong! I was prescribed 50mg trazodone for insomnia and, at even half the prescribed dose (25mg), found the medicine TOO sedating. Found myself unable to keep my eyes open after it kicks in but not particularly sleepy--lying awake and wishing the heavy effects would quickly wear off. Side effects were bad, especially dry mouth, vivid dreams, and a pounding headache the next day.

February 10, 2012 3:55 AM

Review by BrooklynNicole:

Desyrel (trazodone): I was taking regular Trazodone on and off for a couple of years, it stopped working so my doctor switched me to Desyrel. It's a good pill for the fact that it does make you tired, but I'd make sure you're gonna get 8 or more hours of sleep before you take it. I was prescribed 100mg pills, and I only took half of a pill whenever I took it, and I had the hardest time waking up the next day. Also, with the reg Trazodone and with Desyrel, it took a long time for it to kick in for me (2 hours), but that might be because I have a high tolerance to pills. If you're new to this medicine, take it on the weekend, or whenever you can sleep in, so you can see how it works.

February 7, 2012 2:13 PM

Review by Sleepless in Ohio:

100mg, 3 hours after taking still staring at walls. Woke up every couple hours. Groggy in the morning. Felt bad all day.

February 4, 2012 10:25 PM

Review by Lolamurray:

Took trazadone for the first time last night at 200 mg because nothing else worked such as Ambien and Xanax. It was absolutely miserable, my mouth was extremely dry, nose was stuffed up, and nausea. I couldn't even get out of bed the next day and missed work. It's 5 pm and I am still out of it and groggy, I am having to cancel all plans tonight.

February 2, 2012 7:05 PM

Review by arickp:

Once you find the right dosage for you, trazodone will put you to sleep. I'm no stranger to sedatives - I've taken Klonopin, Valium, Xanax, diphenhydramine, etc. None of those medications made me as clumsy as trazodone. I was falling over objects in the house and running into walls. I also felt my mental capabilities decrease - trying to complete a full sentence was a daunting task. Additionally, I experienced muscles aches, just like the side effects say. They were so bad that I could not even get out of bed and had to miss work. It's unfortunate that doctors don't like to prescribe benzodiazepines. They helped me a lot than trazodone.

January 19, 2012 3:05 PM

Review by kids mammam:

I have been taking 200mg of trazodone since December 10 2011, at night for sleep. It takes me one and a half to two hours after taking it to fall asleep and I wake back up between 1 and 3am. I will be seeing my doctor in a week to see what he says about going to a higher dosage at night. Ambien 10mg only worked for me a short time and Lunesta 3mg never worked for me. Lunesta just gave me a BAD headache all day.

January 10, 2012 10:20 AM

Trazodone worked about 50% of the time for me, with unpleasant side effects.

January 9, 2012 8:07 PM

I have been on trazodone for years to help with my anxiety and insomnia. I've had to increase my dosage because at first it wasn't working very well and my doctor recommended I increase my dosage or started taking 1 pill and a half of another. This medicine works for me 85% of the time, there are still many sleepless nights and anxiety outbreaks, but it does help. I stopped taking it for a few days and my anxiety levels were through the roof, so I guess this means it helps.

January 5, 2012 12:01 AM

Review by robro:

I have severe insomnia. I have gone 4 days at a time with no sleep at all. I have also experienced hallucinations when I go 3 to 4 days without a wink of sleep. I have tried Ambien without even a yawn. Restoril gave me bad nightmares, I would awaken by throwing myself out of bed. I have just started taking Trazodone 50mg (3days now) and it knocks me out. It is the first time in years that I have slept through the night. However I am experiencing side effects when I awaken that are lasting throughout the day. Headaches, neck ache and weak, rubbery legs. If the side effects do go away I would give it a 10.

December 23, 2011 7:22 PM

I have had trouble sleeping as long as I can remember. I am now 57 and have been taking trazadone for 2 years. It works amazingly well. It doesn't cause me to pass out, but makes me fall asleep gently.

December 20, 2011 2:06 PM

Review by hscolnik:

Desyrel (trazodone): Worked well a few times but I developed a quick tolerance to it plus it caused my sinuses to swell which made it difficult to breathe through my nose.

November 26, 2011 5:57 AM

I started taking this about 3 weeks ago and now I must say I love it! I have my sleep back, I go to bed at a normal time and wake up early and refreshed. The first few days I was groggy waking up, but once my body got used to it I never want to stop taking it. I used to have insomnia bad, once I couldn't get to sleep for days because of it. I take 50 mg of Trazodone and 1 mg of Risperdal for my racing thoughts and 40 mg of Celexa for my depression (all at bedtime) and this combination is really working well for me, I love it!

November 10, 2011 12:17 PM

Review by krteague:

I have had insomnia my entire life beginning at age 12. I was prescribed Trazodone four years ago when Ambien no longer worked for me. I sleep like a baby. I fall asleep within 10-15 minutes and sleep through the night. I have not experienced any side effects.

November 8, 2011 11:03 PM

After my brain surgery I got insomnia. Trazodone is the best medication I have ever tried for insomnia. It has never failed me in the 2 years of taking it. I can fall asleep and if I wake up to use the bathroom I can fall back asleep. Ambien, Lunesta didn't work as well as this medicine.

October 29, 2011 9:41 PM

Review by tva:

My doctor prescribed this to me for my depression as well as my insomnia, he started me on 50mg and ended being bumped up to 300mg. Maybe I just have a strong tolerance for medication because I was also having to take 300 mg of Seroquel. I stopped taking the trazodone for a while because while on both medications a bomb could go off next to me and not wake me up, but now I am just taking the trazodone due to the Seroquel costing an arm a leg and a foot. But since I have done that now I get major migraines when taking it and have had to up my dose to 500mg. Every now and then I will wake up with a migraine still and sometimes it makes me sick when I don't take it with a full glass and a half of milk.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2011 12:28 AM

Review by blott3:

I take this to help me sleep. I was started at 50mg 1x day at bedtime with no effect. The dose was increased to 100mg 1x day at bedtime with some effect. The dose was again to my current dose of 150mg 1x day at bedtime and now it works great! I wake up ready to go after 7ish hours of sleep. Works better if taken with a light snack.

October 25, 2011 6:14 PM

I was given it for insomnia while at a mental hospital. It did not help at all. It gave me really weird dreams and I could barely sleep so I was switched to Ambien.

October 19, 2011 3:46 PM