Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by snakepriscin (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Just upped to 2 x 100mg, taken 1/2 hr before bed gives me about 2 extra hours of sleep. Calms me down and lets me go to sleep when lights are out. Very minor side effects...some dry mouth and a little "larger" in the morning. I wake up refreshed. It improved my quality of life for sure.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2013 2:04 PM

Review by rested! (taken for 5 to 10 years):

This helps me fall asleep fast and stay asleep most nights. I wake feeling rested, without that drowsy feeling the next morning. I would tell everyone who has insomnia to take this. I take trazodone every night and have not experienced any side effects. What a lifesaver

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 8:34 PM

Review by Spunky Gal (taken for less than 1 month):

Most of my life I've been a good sleeper but as I've aged not so much anymore. The reasons are mostly related to pain. My rheumatologist prescribed trazodone because I could not tolerate most of the other meds. So I've been taking Tylenol PM with good results but with an awful hangover of 5-6 hours the morning after. So far the trazodone has given me the same benefit minus the morning fog. I've cut the pill in half and it has given me several nights of painless continued sleep. Awakening rested, painless and ready to start my day. Hopefully this may solve my sleepless problem and some pain too. I don't like medication but sometimes it really is necessary.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 12:39 PM

Review by tnr (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I started trazodone 5 years ago during an acute episode of depression. I take Cymbalta as a maintenance against depression. Trazodone at 50 mg is very effective for me - it takes about 45 minutes to kick in. I get 7-8 hrs of sleep and do not feel groggy the next day. I can also split the 50 mg tablet and take 25 mg and get decent sleep - not as deep but still restful. I take trazodone every night and have not experienced any side effects in over 5 years.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 9:30 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been using trazodone for three years. I started on 25mg and this is still sufficient. I like that I do not have any side effects. I would encourage people to try trazodone before any type of scheduled sleep aid.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2013 1:40 AM

Review by deelooted (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started off at 50mg, but had to move up to 150 - 200mg for it to put me to sleep, and I sleep a solid 8-9 hours easy, and hardly wake up at night. I also take 50mg twice a day in the day time to keep me mellow (I am bipolar 1 with psychotic features/ borderline personality disorder) and to help with anxiety- it works like a charm, and does not put me to sleep. I would like to note that I have yet to meet anyone else that takes it like this, but my psych doc says if it works, don't stop.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 4:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Plain and simple, this medicine has been a life saver. Been taking 100 mg for a few years. If I forget to take it, I am wide awake after 3 or 4 hours. When taken, 7 hours is generally the minimum. Side effects are FAR outweighed by the benefits. Going to begin coming off of Cymbalta completely. I attribute that to having a better outlook on things due to being fully rested. It is amazing what a good nights sleep does for the mind! I actually enjoy my occasional movie like vivid dreams.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 7:16 AM

Review by sax:

Trazodone was given to me to help me sleep. Worked great until time to get up. I woke up with a headache, dizzy and drowsy felt awful the next morning.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2013 1:10 PM

Review by Katherineleigh:

I've taken trazodone (150 mg) every night for 8 years for sleep apnea and severe insomnia. It makes me fall asleep and stay asleep, but it makes me tired and drowsy the next day. It also gives me nightmares, and I wake up in cold sweats, and I've even woken up shouting before. I've tried over the counter meds and things like Lunesta but they make me hallucinate, and they don't make me tired enough to fall asleep. Overall Trazodone was effective but with one bad side effect.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2013 3:46 PM

Review by Anon5839655:

Was just prescribed this medicine (the instant -release, not extended-release) for sleep and anxiety. I was told to take 150-300mg at night for sleep. I took 150mg last night and have been half asleep, mind in a fog, can't focus, etc. all day. I'm thinking I need to cut the dose back a lot. My anxiety is gone because I just don't have the energy to be anxious about anything right now. I have no idea if my sleep was "better" because I did wake up several times, but I fell asleep faster than normal each time I woke up.

August 1, 2013 12:21 PM

Review by conran:

I was given trazodone for my mind racing. I was on Lunesta before, but I have to take two pills to fall asleep (6mg) and I guess 3mg is the daily limit. The doc gave me 50mg of trazodone it did nothing but make my vision blurry. I even took one Lunesta with the 50mg trazdone and was up all night long. So tonight I'm trying 100mg trazodone, noticed already my vision is blurry, HOPING this will allow me to sleep tonight.

July 27, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by mrsroyde (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on trazodone for over a month now. Started out on 100mg now on 150mg it has been heaven sent for me a few nights. Got in bed forgot to take it tossed and turn until I got up and take it, was asleep within mins. Never been fond of taking pills but had to try something also on Cymbalta 30mg.

July 23, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by Kellone2:

I have been diagnosed with idiopathic hyper insomnia, my mind does NOT shut off at night. I have been prescribed 100 mg of Trazadone to sleep. Let me tell you!! I fall asleep with in a couple minutes and sleep all night, waking up refreshed. Lately though, I can sleep like a rock and still very tired through the day. I am wondering if maybe its from prolonged use. I cant even imagine sleeping with out it!

July 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Review by Dufferdan (taken for 10 years or more):

In June 1999 I had a triple bypass. My cardiologist, knowing of sleep problems with bypass patients, prescribed 100mg Trazodone at bedtime. I went to sleep within 5 minutes of lying down. After 5 or 6 years we doubled the dose. There have been a few nights when I forgot to take it and lie in bed tossing/turning until I realized what had happened. I get up and take it and am asleep within 15 or 20 min. I can't imagine life without Trazodone.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2013 6:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

My own physician uses this medication as a sleep aid. I have used it for over 10 years for insomnia and feel like it's a miracle. Children were toddlers when I started using it. Before, I would get irritated, sick when they did, low energy, etc. It's amazing what sleep will do and I plan on taking it the rest of my life!

July 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Review by mm05 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started taking about 3 mths ago. I get wonderful deep restful sleep. No drowsiness in the morning. Only draw back is it takes a bit to kick in about 1-2 hours.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by UpstateNurse (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Starting taking Trazodone about eight years ago for insomnia. Does a great job to calm a racing mind. I've been free of sleepless nights for years thanks to this. Found my therapeutic level to be 25 mg taken with a small amount of food before bed.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2013 1:11 PM

I've had trouble sleeping since I was a kid, especially in unfamiliar places or when other people were around. Over the past few years, I've taken Benadryl or Ambien most nights, but neither helped me when I wasn't sleeping in my own bed or was very stressed about something. Even when I could fall asleep, I'd toss and turn all night and every little sound or movement would wake me up. Trazodone has been great for me. I did suffer dry mouth and vivid dreams at the beginning, but those side effects have tapered off for me. For the first time in my life, I don't worry about being able to fall and stay asleep.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2013 3:56 PM

Been on it for over a year. I take 0-100 mg a night as needed, but typically it's 100. After the first two weeks I've had few side effects (at first there was dry mouth, headaches, as my body adjusted to it). Once I take it I have to keep myself occupied for an hour or two, not yet trying to sleep, but still relaxing, watching T.V, reading, etc., until the medicine takes effect. When that happens, it's very clear. I can pretty much shut my eyes and fall asleep within minutes. The only downside is that my already detailed and abundant nightmares are very much heightened and are often disturbing, which makes me wake up feeling disturbed but not drowsy. Would recommend.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2013 9:58 PM

Review by nikadi2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started taking 50mg at night about a year ago. I love the sleep I receive on this medicine. I sleep deeply through the night without any crazy dreams. I jump out of bed in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. I only gave it an 8 rating because it has affected my sex life. I cannot achieve an orgasm while on this medicine. It is effecting my life tremendously. My doctor switched me to Ambien. Hopefully that will help.

May 28, 2013 6:18 PM

Review by rl3 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I started trazodone 7 years ago. 50 mg at first then reduced to 25mg. It allows me to fall asleep fast and stay asleep. Can not tell if it affects mood. No known side effects.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by 19 year old guy (taken for less than 1 month):

I took trazodone first at 50 mg and it did not help me. I than switched to 100 mg and it still did no help me. I don't know how other people are so lucky.

April 26, 2013 8:10 AM

Review by WooCash (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For the past month I have been taking trazodone 25mg for my chronic insomnia. It has simply saved me. Before if I could get about 3 hours of sleep I would be happy. Since I have been taking trazodone I sleep about 6 hours every night and I'm able to function normally during the day. Before I was completely exhausted all the time and I would be scared of the thought of going to bed. Now this insomnia anxiety has completely gone away. The only negative thing is I do tend to have big mood swings. But I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with the medicine itself or simply my life situation. Overall - it cured my insomnia but not my depression.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2013 4:33 PM

Review by captkriz:

I have a hard time sleeping since I was a teen. Trazodone has been a God send. I started with 50mg and went quickly to 100mg. I split my pill in half and take 1/2 of it about 2 hrs before bed and the other half at bedtime. If I take it all at once my head stuffs up. That is the only side effect that I have noticed. I wake up with no grogginess and feel great.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by toadie70:

Started this med about 1.5 wks ago. I don't have trouble going to sleep, but wake often through the night from bad/disturbing dreams. Then my mind started to race and I can't turn off- sometimes for hours. I would also wake in the morning with the veil of the most recent bad dream in my head and feeling exhausted. Trazodone helps my mind rest. I still wake 2 or 3 times a night, and I am still doing some dreaming, but don't wake crying or upset and can go back to sleep quickly. I always have been thirsty through the night and still wake and drink water- I don't think the medicine is making this worse. Is a bit harder to get going in the morning, but not enough to negate the positives. I also take 60mg Cymbalta every day for many yrs now.

March 27, 2013 12:31 PM