User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by mm05 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started taking about 3 mths ago. I get wonderful deep restful sleep. No drowsiness in the morning. Only draw back is it takes a bit to kick in about 1-2 hours.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by UpstateNurse (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Starting taking Trazodone about eight years ago for insomnia. Does a great job to calm a racing mind. I've been free of sleepless nights for years thanks to this. Found my therapeutic level to be 25 mg taken with a small amount of food before bed.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2013 1:11 PM

I've had trouble sleeping since I was a kid, especially in unfamiliar places or when other people were around. Over the past few years, I've taken Benadryl or Ambien most nights, but neither helped me when I wasn't sleeping in my own bed or was very stressed about something. Even when I could fall asleep, I'd toss and turn all night and every little sound or movement would wake me up. Trazodone has been great for me. I did suffer dry mouth and vivid dreams at the beginning, but those side effects have tapered off for me. For the first time in my life, I don't worry about being able to fall and stay asleep.

June 18, 2013 3:56 PM

Been on it for over a year. I take 0-100 mg a night as needed, but typically it's 100. After the first two weeks I've had few side effects (at first there was dry mouth, headaches, as my body adjusted to it). Once I take it I have to keep myself occupied for an hour or two, not yet trying to sleep, but still relaxing, watching T.V, reading, etc., until the medicine takes effect. When that happens, it's very clear. I can pretty much shut my eyes and fall asleep within minutes. The only downside is that my already detailed and abundant nightmares are very much heightened and are often disturbing, which makes me wake up feeling disturbed but not drowsy. Would recommend.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2013 9:58 PM

Review by nikadi2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I started taking 50mg at night about a year ago. I love the sleep I receive on this medicine. I sleep deeply through the night without any crazy dreams. I jump out of bed in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to start the day. I only gave it an 8 rating because it has affected my sex life. I cannot achieve an orgasm while on this medicine. It is effecting my life tremendously. My doctor switched me to Ambien. Hopefully that will help.

May 28, 2013 6:18 PM

Review by rl3 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I started trazodone 7 years ago. 50 mg at first then reduced to 25mg. It allows me to fall asleep fast and stay asleep. Can not tell if it affects mood. No known side effects.

May 19, 2013 6:37 PM

Review by 19 year old guy (taken for less than 1 month):

I took trazodone first at 50 mg and it did not help me. I than switched to 100 mg and it still did no help me. I don't know how other people are so lucky.

April 26, 2013 8:10 AM

Review by WooCash (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For the past month I have been taking trazodone 25mg for my chronic insomnia. It has simply saved me. Before if I could get about 3 hours of sleep I would be happy. Since I have been taking trazodone I sleep about 6 hours every night and I'm able to function normally during the day. Before I was completely exhausted all the time and I would be scared of the thought of going to bed. Now this insomnia anxiety has completely gone away. The only negative thing is I do tend to have big mood swings. But I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with the medicine itself or simply my life situation. Overall - it cured my insomnia but not my depression.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2013 4:33 PM

Review by captkriz:

I have a hard time sleeping since I was a teen. Trazodone has been a God send. I started with 50mg and went quickly to 100mg. I split my pill in half and take 1/2 of it about 2 hrs before bed and the other half at bedtime. If I take it all at once my head stuffs up. That is the only side effect that I have noticed. I wake up with no grogginess and feel great.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by toadie70:

Started this med about 1.5 wks ago. I don't have trouble going to sleep, but wake often through the night from bad/disturbing dreams. Then my mind started to race and I can't turn off- sometimes for hours. I would also wake in the morning with the veil of the most recent bad dream in my head and feeling exhausted. Trazodone helps my mind rest. I still wake 2 or 3 times a night, and I am still doing some dreaming, but don't wake crying or upset and can go back to sleep quickly. I always have been thirsty through the night and still wake and drink water- I don't think the medicine is making this worse. Is a bit harder to get going in the morning, but not enough to negate the positives. I also take 60mg Cymbalta every day for many yrs now.

March 27, 2013 12:31 PM

Review by Cora1123:

After complaining to my doctor that I couldn't fall asleep and when I did, the slightest noise could wake me up he prescribed me 50mg of this pill and it has not been working. The first two nights I felt a little drowsy about 2 1/2 hours after taking the pill. Now it does nothing to help promote sleep.

March 4, 2013 10:37 PM

Review by rdx4me (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had insomnia for years. Finally had a sleep study done and it turned out I have moderate sleep apnea along with restless legs syndrome. Was prescribed a CPAP and Trazodone. Currently taking 300mg per night. It puts me to sleep fast but I always wake up after 3 - 3.5 hours of sleep. After reading others comments I'm considering trying 450mg to see if that will keep me asleep. My wife can sleep 12 hours easily. Wish I could experience sleep like hers!

March 2, 2013 11:43 PM

Review by Shana67:

Unlike many folks on this thread, I take the highest recommended dose. If I do not, I will not stay asleep. I have never had problems falling asleep - but staying asleep. I would wake up 3 hours after falling asleep and be up the rest of the night. I was taking SIX Benadryl per night to fall asleep, and my husband finally made me go to the doctor. He started me on 100mg and told me to go up to 400mg (the highest recommended dose) depending on how I slept. I now sleep like the dead - I fall asleep easily, and stay asleep until my alarm goes off - waking up completely refreshed. I cannot imagine trying to sleep without this medicine.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2013 10:26 PM

Review by HouseLight (taken for less than 1 month):

I only been taking Trazodone for a week but it has been a God send. I have been taking Lunesta for a few years and was doing and saying things I didn't remember, and still was up every 2 or 3 hours. For the past week I have been sleeping the night through, this weekend I actually slept until 7:30am. Since it has only been a week I did not give it a 10, but if things keep up this well it will be a 10 next week.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by GORGE:

This medication eases me to sleep with no after effects.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2013 11:50 AM

Review by OUguy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Was prescribed 50 mg as a sleep aid. Been taking it for 6 years without having to change the dosage. Works great, I always am able to get to sleep and stay asleep. Occasionally wake up drowsy if I take it too late or don't get at least 6-6 1/2 hrs of sleep. Other than that, no side effects that I can speak of. Would recommend.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2013 10:21 AM

Review by Daniel Bryan (taken for less than 1 month):

Took this for the first time last night. 100 mg pill. I went to sleep within 30 minutes, but I woke up 2 hours later and took a 50 mg pill to go back to sleep. I woke up 3 hours later because of how dry my mouth was. I had to put a wet towel in my mouth to go back to sleep because of how dry my mouth was. I went back to sleep thankfully and woke up 5 hours later. So overall I got 10 hours of sleep. It puts you to sleep but I'm having a lot of side effects - Stuffy nose and dry mouth while I'm sleeping; I have now been up 4 hours and still have a headache and am somewhat dizzy. I'll give this a week and see if the side effects go away. Will see what happens.

November 27, 2012 1:03 PM

Review by LuckyLew (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had chronic insomnia since I was a child. The trazodone both helps me fall asleep quickly AND helps me stay asleep longer (usually 4 to 5 hours straight sleep versus my usual waking every hour). As far as help with insomnia I would give trazodone a 10. Unfortunately though it does stay in my system a full 12 to 13 hours which means I am groggy and lethargic in the morning until it wears off, usually around 10am or 11am. However, once it does wear off I feel great and for the rest of the day I have much more energy than I do when I don't take trazodone and don't sleep well. I take between 15-75 mgs when I'm ready to go to bed. Aside from the morning grogginess I think this has been a wonderful help.

November 15, 2012 9:13 AM

Review by Nelly112 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been taking this for a year now. I am worried that the day I try going off this- I may have an issue. I'm in bed within 30 minutes of when I take this 99% of the time! I take 50mg a night. I've taken 100mg before, and unless you have 12 hours for sleep, I would not recommend it.

September 17, 2012 4:59 PM

Review by Hyster (taken for less than 1 month):

I have taken 50mg of trazodone with 7.5mg of Remeron, Zyprexa with excellent results. Waking up feeling rested, with no morning anxiety. I also take 75mg Effexor XR for daytime depression, it dose give me insomnia so the odd combination for sleep is extremely helpful 8-9 hrs sleep. I will be upping the dose of trazodone and getting rid of the other two as I think trazodone is the best. I have taken it in the past too with great results.

August 4, 2012 2:11 AM

Review by Gertraud Hammer (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered from insomnia on and off, ever since my husband died 3 years 7 months ago. Sometimes I get sleep for no longer then a couple of hours. At times I don't get any sleep at all for 4 to 5 nights. When that happens I feel like a zombie, can't function, I get very irritable and I don't want anyone around me. My Doctor has put me on different kind of sleeping pills, but none of them worked. I just can't take it anymore. After complainig about it again and again (I'm afraid if I don't get any kind of sleep eventually I will go over the edge) my doctor finally prescribed 100mg of trazodone. After years of little or no sleep, I managed to get a whole 6 hours of sleep.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 4:40 PM

Review by joeiy02 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My son has been taking this for awhile now. He is 6. He is on 75 mg, and 10mg of Melatonin, he gets a little sleepy, before bed, but otherwise it's hard for him to fall asleep, and he is up at 5:30-6:00am every morning. I don't like it. I was on this at one time too, did nothing for me, so now I take Ambien CR. I have been on Ambien for about 9 years. Wouldn't change a thing. I wish I could find something that worked for my son now.

June 7, 2012 10:39 PM

Review by Sleepylady (taken for less than 1 month):

I am taking 50 mg each night before bed. I have been on it for 8 days. Trying to get off Ativan. I fall asleep very fast but still wake up 2 or 3 times. BUT, when I do wake up I am noticing I do not have the racing thoughts as before. And I fall back to sleep in a few minutes. So far the only side effect is I am sleepy the next day. The stuffy nose and dry mouth are better than at first.

June 1, 2012 5:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking trazodone for 2 years now. My doctor prescribed it to me to help with depression and insomnia. I now take 200 mg a night alone with another prescription sleep pill and I am FINALLY able to sleep a whole night through. I have run out of trazodone and had to wait a few days until I got the money to get them and I can really tell a difference when I don't have them. It helps me get a good nights sleep AND helps with the depression. I would recommend this to anyone who needs it.

May 2, 2012 1:45 AM

Great for Insomnia and depression. Works wonder for me.

April 27, 2012 1:25 AM