User Reviews for Trazodone

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

Review by BrooklynNicole: User Rating:

Desyrel (trazodone): I was taking regular Trazodone on and off for a couple of years, it stopped working so my doctor switched me to Desyrel. It's a good pill for the fact that it does make you tired, but I'd make sure you're gonna get 8 or more hours of sleep before you take it. I was prescribed 100mg pills, and I only took half of a pill whenever I took it, and I had the hardest time waking up the next day. Also, with the reg Trazodone and with Desyrel, it took a long time for it to kick in for me (2 hours), but that might be because I have a high tolerance to pills. If you're new to this medicine, take it on the weekend, or whenever you can sleep in, so you can see how it works.

February 7, 2012 2:13 PM
Review by Sleepless in Ohio: User Rating:

trazodone: 100mg, 3 hours after taking still staring at walls. Woke up every couple hours. Groggy in the morning. Felt bad all day.

February 4, 2012 10:25 PM
Review by Lolamurray:

trazodone: Took trazadone for the first time last night at 200 mg because nothing else worked such as Ambien and Xanax. It was absolutely miserable, my mouth was extremely dry, nose was stuffed up, and nausea. I couldn't even get out of bed the next day and missed work. It's 5 pm and I am still out of it and groggy, I am having to cancel all plans tonight.

February 2, 2012 7:05 PM
Review by arickp: User Rating:

trazodone: Once you find the right dosage for you, trazodone will put you to sleep. I'm no stranger to sedatives - I've taken Klonopin, Valium, Xanax, diphenhydramine, etc. None of those medications made me as clumsy as trazodone. I was falling over objects in the house and running into walls. I also felt my mental capabilities decrease - trying to complete a full sentence was a daunting task. Additionally, I experienced muscles aches, just like the side effects say. They were so bad that I could not even get out of bed and had to miss work. It's unfortunate that doctors don't like to prescribe benzodiazepines. They helped me a lot than trazodone.

January 19, 2012 3:05 PM
Review by kids mammam: User Rating:

trazodone: I have been taking 200mg of trazodone since December 10 2011, at night for sleep. It takes me one and a half to two hours after taking it to fall asleep and I wake back up between 1 and 3am. I will be seeing my doctor in a week to see what he says about going to a higher dosage at night. Ambien 10mg only worked for me a short time and Lunesta 3mg never worked for me. Lunesta just gave me a BAD headache all day.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 10, 2012 10:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: Trazodone worked about 50% of the time for me, with unpleasant side effects.

January 9, 2012 8:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: I have been on trazodone for years to help with my anxiety and insomnia. I've had to increase my dosage because at first it wasn't working very well and my doctor recommended I increase my dosage or started taking 1 pill and a half of another. This medicine works for me 85% of the time, there are still many sleepless nights and anxiety outbreaks, but it does help. I stopped taking it for a few days and my anxiety levels were through the roof, so I guess this means it helps.

January 5, 2012 12:01 AM
Review by robro: User Rating:

trazodone: I have severe insomnia. I have gone 4 days at a time with no sleep at all. I have also experienced hallucinations when I go 3 to 4 days without a wink of sleep. I have tried Ambien without even a yawn. Restoril gave me bad nightmares, I would awaken by throwing myself out of bed. I have just started taking Trazodone 50mg (3days now) and it knocks me out. It is the first time in years that I have slept through the night. However I am experiencing side effects when I awaken that are lasting throughout the day. Headaches, neck ache and weak, rubbery legs. If the side effects do go away I would give it a 10.

December 23, 2011 7:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: I have had trouble sleeping as long as I can remember. I am now 57 and have been taking trazadone for 2 years. It works amazingly well. It doesn't cause me to pass out, but makes me fall asleep gently.

December 20, 2011 2:06 PM
Review by hscolnik: User Rating:

Desyrel (trazodone): Worked well a few times but I developed a quick tolerance to it plus it caused my sinuses to swell which made it difficult to breathe through my nose.

November 26, 2011 5:57 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: I started taking this about 3 weeks ago and now I must say I love it! I have my sleep back, I go to bed at a normal time and wake up early and refreshed. The first few days I was groggy waking up, but once my body got used to it I never want to stop taking it. I used to have insomnia bad, once I couldn't get to sleep for days because of it. I take 50 mg of Trazodone and 1 mg of Risperdal for my racing thoughts and 40 mg of Celexa for my depression (all at bedtime) and this combination is really working well for me, I love it!

November 10, 2011 12:17 PM
Review by krteague: User Rating:

trazodone: I have had insomnia my entire life beginning at age 12. I was prescribed Trazodone four years ago when Ambien no longer worked for me. I sleep like a baby. I fall asleep within 10-15 minutes and sleep through the night. I have not experienced any side effects.

November 8, 2011 11:03 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: After my brain surgery I got insomnia. Trazodone is the best medication I have ever tried for insomnia. It has never failed me in the 2 years of taking it. I can fall asleep and if I wake up to use the bathroom I can fall back asleep. Ambien, Lunesta didn't work as well as this medicine.

October 29, 2011 9:41 PM
Review by tva: User Rating:

trazodone: My doctor prescribed this to me for my depression as well as my insomnia, he started me on 50mg and ended being bumped up to 300mg. Maybe I just have a strong tolerance for medication because I was also having to take 300 mg of Seroquel. I stopped taking the trazodone for a while because while on both medications a bomb could go off next to me and not wake me up, but now I am just taking the trazodone due to the Seroquel costing an arm a leg and a foot. But since I have done that now I get major migraines when taking it and have had to up my dose to 500mg. Every now and then I will wake up with a migraine still and sometimes it makes me sick when I don't take it with a full glass and a half of milk.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 26, 2011 12:28 AM
Review by blott3: User Rating:

trazodone: I take this to help me sleep. I was started at 50mg 1x day at bedtime with no effect. The dose was increased to 100mg 1x day at bedtime with some effect. The dose was again to my current dose of 150mg 1x day at bedtime and now it works great! I wake up ready to go after 7ish hours of sleep. Works better if taken with a light snack.

October 25, 2011 6:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: I was given it for insomnia while at a mental hospital. It did not help at all. It gave me really weird dreams and I could barely sleep so I was switched to Ambien.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2011 3:46 PM
Review by Kathy 1608: User Rating:

trazodone: I've been taking trazodone for 3 years now. I absolutely love it. I take 300 milligrams, sleep through the night, and feel completely refreshed in the morning. Not drowsy, sleepy or feel like I'm out of it. I have many friends and family members that also use it and it had absolutely no side effects either. Much better than taking Xanax, Valium and Ambien. I LOVE TRAZODONE.

October 14, 2011 9:24 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: For 10 years I took a 50 mg of Diphenhydramine at bedtime. It helped me to get to sleep most of the time. Then it stopped working. Now I take Trazodone and it works much better. My initial dose was 100 mg and I slept fitfully with mild hallucinations. I decreased the dose to 50 mg and slept much better with some dreams all pleasant and no nightmares. Now I take 25 mg at bedtime, and another 12.5 mg (1/4 pill) if I wake up during the night. I've been on this regimen for three months and have not had any side effects; I wake up refreshed and don't feel sleepy in the mornings.

September 20, 2011 8:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: Tried this instead of my Ambien which I took for years. 50mg does not work to make me fall asleep, I just lay in bed for a few hours thinking away. Tried 100mg and it took forever to fall asleep but when I finally did I couldn't get up the next day. I felt very groggy.

September 6, 2011 3:35 AM
Review by jennpugli: User Rating:

trazodone: This will knock you out! For the first month or so it was real hard to wake up in the morning but this wore off and I've been on it ever since.

August 31, 2011 2:58 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: Works great. I finally found something that works without giving me massive headaches and actually works.

August 28, 2011 2:54 PM
Review by swampwaffle: User Rating:

trazodone: I could always fall asleep, but could not stay asleep. Three hours a night was normal. I needed help and Ambien, etc. were harsh. The doctor suggested trazodone and I tried it. She said it might take time to work- but that first night I slept 9 hours. I've been taking it for four years and it changed my life. No side effects except for drowsiness on days 1-2 and if I'm off of it for any time. I take 50 mg and am a 200lb healthy male. This medicine is under-prescribed for this indication.

August 22, 2011 5:09 PM
Review by dannyboyinflorida47: User Rating:

trazodone: I was on Seroquel and it made me gain 75 lbs. Trazodone is much better. Helps me sleep with Ambien 10mg.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 20, 2011 3:45 PM
Review by Erin Kelly: User Rating:

trazodone: Trazodone is a great sleep aid; I'll be energized as ever, I'll take it, and within 15 minutes I can't even keep my eyes open. From then on I practically go into a coma :) Trazodone makes me sleep for 12+ hours at a time, it's great. I'm never tired anymore! I have so much more energy, I'm a better student now, I'm way more productive at work, I NEVER feel fatigued. I love it, and would definitely recommend it.

August 11, 2011 11:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

trazodone: Trazodone has not been working for me. It puts me to sleep, but I don't stay asleep.

August 5, 2011 5:03 PM