User Reviews for Trazodone (Page 4)

Also known as: Desyrel, Desyrel Dividose, Oleptro

Learn more about Trazodone.

Trazodone Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 113 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Trazodone to treat Insomnia

"its an excellent drug and should be taken after a meal---then it works very well;but one problem is that it develops tolerance quite quickly;and it takes a few days for its sedative effects to be effective"

babua (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2015

"Absolute Godsend, years and years been fighting with Insomnia and been on many things including Benzos.Was nervous about trying this after reading reviews, seems it either is great or horrible, no inbetween.Luckily for me it worked, feel abit groggy on a morning but no biggy and other than that no side effects.Do not be put off if this does not improve sleep in first few days, it never with me but after a week at most, wow what a difference.Currently take 100mg and hr to an hr and half before bed"

Gloopy2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2015

"I've been taking thus fir 2 months I cannot sleep have no appetite and are extremely aggravated confused and sick to stomach. It also makes my eyes blurred. Unhappy"

Krin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2015

"I have been taking trazodone along with paxil for many years. Trazodone was prescribed to me to help me sleep and it works. I sleep very well."

LesK (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2015

"developed insomnia after severe broncitus. I take 50 mil at bedtime daily and get 6 or 7 hrs sleep, 1st month felt groggy few hours after sleep but that has faded. It works great for me, am 65 years old."

real fine October 23, 2015

"I was hit by a couple major life events that caused me lose sleep one night. Because of that and a few major events that had happened, I developed a fear of never being able to sleep again ( sleep anxiety). With a recommendation from my mother in-law, for Trazodone I headed to my DR. I am glad i did. I have ZERO side effects from it, while is doesnt exactly make me sleepy or any feeling for that matter, what it does do is combat the problem of why I can't sleep, which was anxiety and panic. Been on it for 3 nights so far and been getting 5-6 hours. Huge improvement from 2-3. And i feel it will be very easy for me to let this go when the time comes because I feel no addiction whatsoever. I just feel "normal" at bed time now. Great!"

Lynn2012 October 19, 2015

"Currently taking 300mg nocte and still can't sleep! Very jealous of reviewers taking 12mg etc and sleeping! Ho hum guess it can't work for everyone :-("

Aspielou (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2015

"I wanted to comment on this drug. My wife and I were prescribed it some time ago, at the 50 mg dosage. We didn't like it, it was too strong. Recently, we found that cutting the 50 mg tablet in 6 parts, so about 10 mg each, works very well. I believe many don't like it because 50 mg is too much, and they would perhaps like it if they took 10 mg."

palmtree77 October 5, 2015

"I am trying several sleep medications, one after the other. Started with lunesta, then trazadone, the hydroxyzine, then Benadryl , then Aleve PM. All of them have similar side effects: post nasal drips, drying out the body, eye pain and dryness, daytime drowsiness, and constipation, sometimes severe. Trazadone created an urgent urge to have a bowel movement. All in all, most of these sleep aids are on worth it, in my opinion. Yet to try all-herbal products like chamomile tea, valerian root, and melatonin. Thanks Nara"

Narr19 October 1, 2015

"I have been on Trazadone for 4 years almost 5. I have had depression for that long too. I started taking it because I would only sleep for 3-5 hours and wake up and my mind would not "shut off" for me to return to sleep. This has been a life saver for me. I have never had any problems with it. It helps me sleep consistently throughout the night. I know that this drug works because if I forget to take it I am awake in 3 hours. And the nice thing is I can just pop one in and fall asleep for another couple hours and have no drowsiness or grogginess when having to wake up for school or work."

Turtlelover79 October 1, 2015

"I've been taking Trazadone for insomnia since 2011. Started at 50mg but quickly went up to 200mg. After a few yrs I'm down to 100mg but occasionally take 200mg. I still wake up in the middle of the night almost every night but usually go back to sleep fairly soon. But if I don't take it I'll be up for days. I have not been able to go without taking it in 4-5 yrs. I also suffer from bi polar type II. I take Effexor for that. Without trazadone I'd go crazy from lack of sleep, but I really would like to sleep thru the night for at least 8 hours instead of waking up after 2-4!! Any other suggestions? Benadryl gives me the shakes and agitation and melatonin does nothing."

InsomniacKelly September 28, 2015

"I'm a poster child for this drug. I had severe insomnia in my early 30s (i.e., NO sleep for three nights running without a sleeping aid), and various Rxs were of little help. I started out on 150 mg. and in the early part of the many years I've been taking it I whittled it down to 12.5 mg, a quarter of a 50 mg pill. A ridiculously small amount, but I've tested it and know it's not a placebo. It works perfectly for me%u2014I'm drowsy within 10 minutes of taking, sleep through the night, and I'm never fuzzy in the morning. Highly recommend."

mozu12 September 19, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been seeing a mental health doctor at my VA for 5 months and I kept telling her I haven't had a night of full sleep in years, the mental health physician prescribed me trazodone - the first 3 nights my sleep got better but day 4,5 and 6 I was the most depressed I've ever felt, I'm always an up beat person and I fell into a dark space and had a pistol in my hand crying my eyes out - luckily I reached out to a dear friend of mine who talked me down and listened to me, I quit trazodone and now I'm taking melatonin for sleep - way better - Avoid this drug as a sleep aid !"

Andrew USAF September 9, 2015

"Love it. I haven't been sleeping for 3 years prior. I started out at 50 mg but now I'm at 150 mg. I only take them when I absolutely need it. I'm always out in 10 min. The only downside is I sometime I only get 5 hours of sleep. That's rare...I'll take 5 over none:) This medicine has changed my life. I'm not such a cranky Mom:)"

rammadot (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2015

"I was put on it when I was 16 because I have ADHD and Aspergers and have never slept. Used to take clonidine for sleep but it stopped working. It took almost 9 months for my mom to figure out what was going on. I became angry depressed and not a very nice person. I also started picking at my skin to the point that I started my arms back and shoulders and chest. We did slow withdrawals off of it it took a while. My mom and I decided it would be better or not for me to sleep then to have the reaction that I did to have that. Have to say I'm still with drawing even though doing it the right way. I was on 100 and did a very slow taper for almost six weeks. I'm starting to slowly feel like myself again."

kfa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2015

"I have been taking Trazodone for over 10 years, I started on 100mg and went down to 50 when I tried it and found that it worked just as well. I never used to sleep at night, with trazodone I consistently sleep through and have never had to increase the dose. I stopped taking it for a few months and was ok but went back on it when I started waking up in the middle of the night. I haven't noticed any side effects, my allergies do seem to be worse at night so maybe the trazodone affects them but when my allergies are not bad I don't have any sinus problems with trazodone, I also take zyrtec at night for allergies"

nickname not in use (taken for 10 years or more) August 26, 2015

"Trazadone is without a doubt the BEST drug I've taken for sleeping issues. <10min from ingesting, I'm out....like a freakin light. Absolutely unconscious until my alarm goes off. I never feel groggy or Ambien-like. Its the perfect med with no drawbacks. Simple as that."

Anonymous August 25, 2015

"I've been on Traodone since 2005 100mg at bedtime. I need to find something else! I was also on Lyrica, Trazodone causes me to sleepwalk and I apparently go in the kitchen every night and "graze"! I have gained 45lbs and I am so frustrated! I get maybe 3 hours sleep and by the time the weekend hits I so tired that I have no energy to do anything!"

darksdeebar (taken for 10 years or more) August 25, 2015

"I have had problems with insomnia for years. After 8 years of taking Ambien, which worked great for several years, I built up a tolerance and asked my doctor about switching medications. He prescribed Trazodone, and after reading reviews, I had high hopes for the medication. Unfortunately, it did little to help my insomnia and left me with severe congestion and a headache. After 4 or so hours I would wake up with my mind racing and was unable to sleep. My doctor added klonopin. I feel asleep quickly but rarely got more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. Very disappointed."

Love2sleep August 23, 2015

"100mg knocks me out. My problem is that it only lasts 4 hours. Not the kind sleep I was looking for."

yard4hill (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2015

"Makes me feel like I have Hay Fever. Dry sinuses, dry eyes, and dry mouth. I have had chronic insomnia ever since I was 9. Tried Zolpidem but it only works for 3 hours, Lunesta only for about 1.5, Xanax (worked for a while but found myself becoming dependant), and this which not only doesn't help me sleep for jack but also makes my wakefulness even more unpleasant. Tried dosages from 50mg to 250mg. Gonna ask my doc about Zolpidem ER. This stuff sucks."

Otimmyrules August 18, 2015

"100mg, 1st time, throat became extremely Y dry to the point that I could not contact my tonge to the roof of my throate to aid in swollowing. After several hours, bad symptoms subsided. Bad bad med"

Frisbeeone August 18, 2015

"I have been taking Trazodone for a little over about 2 months now. I had been having trouble going to sleep at night and my doctor recommend Trazodone. I am 26 female, probably 98-100 lbs. My doctor put me on 150 MG. This medicine worked out great to begin with. But then one night I had a really bad episode. My blood pressure dropped dangerously low. I had went to the kitchen to get myself a drink to take back to bed with me. And I couldn't even make it back to the bedroom. I dropped my drink on the floor and became real weak , light headed dizzy and hot. I was so weak I had no control over my body. My legs wouldn't hold me up. I even blanked out a few times."

Liz_Mary August 15, 2015

"I was prescribed trazodone 50 milligrams of a week ago and I have to say that this works wonders! I never wake up groggy and always sleep completely well. I used to be on xanax one milligram, but I definitely like trazodone better"

Need sleep2 August 13, 2015

"I had really fast heart rate and it seemed to wake up my mind with lots of thoughts. Also sinus headache "

Caparker345 August 13, 2015