User Reviews for OxyContin

Learn more about OxyContin.

Pain 186 reviews 935 medications

8.8
Chronic Pain 38 reviews 105 medications

8.2
Summary of OxyContin reviews 224 reviews 8.7

Reviews for OxyContin

For Chronic Pain "Some uncomfortable side effects like constipation. Other than that, the drug does an ok job with my Rheumatoid Arthritis pain."

jrf9597 May 9, 2015

For Pain "I'm 19 years old and have been suffering from severe testicular and groin pain for the past 5 months, due to a sports injury. It prevented me from doing the things I had previously loved doing, I couldn't go back to school, and I'd be in bed all day. But now that my pain doctor has put me on OxyContin 20 mg twice a day, I feel like I'm getting my life back. This medication keeps my pain at bay. Before, I'd be going through an average of 8/10 pain everyday, but OxyContin miraculously brings it down to a 2-3! I really mean it when I say OxyContin is a Godsend for a male who's going through testicular pain caused by numerous problems. Best of all it doesn't make me tired so I can properly function throughout the day!"

Johnathan1995 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2015

For Pain "I got into a bad auto accident and got put on Oxycontin 40mg twice a day and it has been working great for months."

JonnySFL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2015

For Chronic Pain "The extended release Oxycontin works the same for pain relief as Percocet, but with barely any side effects. Doesn't make me nearly as foggy or give me that euphoric feeling that Percocet does. I can focus better during the day and sleep through the night without waking up needing more pills."

Mel Alanne April 3, 2015

For Chronic Pain "I have a bullet lodged in my back near my spine, this medication is very helpful in relieving the pain but use with caution I would not recommended this for daily use regardless of the severity of your pain."

Abu91 March 9, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Good for breakthrough pain..take 7 of the 30mg a day and use 2-75mcg of the Fentanyl Patches as well for Extended Relief. It has been my best regimen so far and I've tried a lot of different kinds and combination to ease my pain. It's hard though because you can tell how much it helps when you miss a pill."

Pain-n-simple (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2015

For Chronic Pain "This helped during oral surgery but made me sleepy...it did not help at all post surgery for rotator cuff surgery and gave me migraines. I felt like a zombie and had lucid dreams."

Rotatorfix (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Initially it was beneficial in easing my chronic pain until I had a recent back operation. Now I am being brought down from a dosage of 120mg per day & now down to 25mg per day. Coming off it has been particularly stressful coping with the withdrawal factor but I have recognized the withdrawal symptoms & learning to cope with them on a daily basis with the help of my GP who has also become my counselor & is helping me with this painful regression of dosage. It has been a period of 4 mths so far & I am hopeful of being totally free of the medicine within that same time frame. Although it helped me to get through the pain until the operation, it has been a very painful process of withdrawal. If possible, an alternative medication would be advisable"

mausie (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2015

For Pain "Fractured left humerus & greater trochanter. Much difficulty sleeping, this medicatin helpful in controlling the pain"

Mommablumie January 6, 2015

For Chronic Pain "I've been on Oxycontin for 8 months. I take it to help with RSD pain in my shoulder that radiates all down my arm and into my hand. I have trouble taking high doses of nerve medications like gabapentin, so a narcotic is necessary. It definitely helps a lot. However, it does not last 12 hrs. I have oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I also have tried taking 3 doses of Oxycontin a day (per Drs orders) and that keeps it from running out. The problem with a triple dose is drowsiness; I started to have trouble tolerating that. But, overall this has been a lifesaver for me."

Love the ocean (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Use for Chronic pain. This is 4 Spinal Surgeries History. Have: Spinal Stenosis, DDD, Bone Chips & lots of Scar tissue."

Solid mike July 6, 2014

For Chronic Pain "It is a real shame that the oxycontin ER has been reformulated. I started taking 40 mg 3 times a day 5 years ago after having to quit my job after 45 years of service and going on disability. It gave me so much relief that I was able to do things I was unable to do for a very long time. After the reformulation I went through real bad withdrawals because the medication was no longer as effective as it had been. I finally got through that and now I am struggling with all of the problems I had before I started taking it. I'm still taking it but I am suffering with severe fatigue and can barely get out of the bed in the morning and have very little energy. I can no longer work in my garden or walk my dogs & have to learn to live this way again!"

beachwoman (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2014

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "OxyContin seems to work really well for pain. But there is that is a few cons about this medicine for me is that my body would get used to to it and I would need to up the dose. I went from 10mg (2x a day) all the way up to 30 mg (2x a day) It has always only lasted tops 7 hours instead of the advertised 12. It without question has never lasted 12 hours. When I started taking this medicine by the 7 hour my legs would really be on fire again like clock work. So 2 pills would last 14 hours instead of 24 like the manufacturer says. So if you take this medicine make sure you get some breakthrough medicine. Make sure you take Exlax with this medicine. You will be constipated."

Dustinb85 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I have chronic pancreatitis-cause unknown (I do not drink alcohol). The pain from this disease is constant and severe. I take Oxycontin 30 mg twice daily and it is very effective in controlling the pain and keeping it, for the most part, at a tolerable level (about 4-5 on the 1-10 pain scale). For occasional episodes of breakthrough pain, which can be very bad, I have oral Dilaudid 2 mg. I do not take this often, only when needed. It helps me avoid trips to the ER for pain control. Dilaudid is not often prescribed for home use. I'm under the care of a pain specialist. Neither my GI nor endocrinologist can prescribe schedule II narcotics. Chronic pancreatitis is one of the most painful diseases a person can have."

LauraLab1 May 11, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "Only medicine that works properly."

bobertnobert (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 26, 2014

For Chronic Pain "I have Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis that affects everything in my body (organs and joints) but mainly my lower back. Spinal stenosis, bulging and degenerative discs, severe nerve damage from carpal tunnel in both hands, plus both hips and knees need surgery in the near future also. I take 80mg OxyContin 3 times daily plus Percocet 10mg 3 times daily for breakthrough pain. I have to take my pain medication first thing in the morning before I can take on my day. Have tried MS Contin and it worked fine, just did not last the 12 hours that they say it was suppose to it was more like 6 and Lortabs was like taking a placebo."

RedSouthGirl84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "After severely injuring my back while lifting a patient, herniating three discs, three failed back surgeries and multiple ineffective pain relief measures I finally accepted that I will need medication until a cure for spinal nerve damage is found. Using oxycodone means I can walk my dog, keep my house neat, enjoy life with my husband and live life again. I am scruptiously careful about how much I take and keep them under lock and key for the safety of my grandchildren. With great care this drug can give you your life back. However if a person doesn't take very seriously the potential addiction properties it can make a bad situation worse."

Alwaysanurseatheart October 31, 2013

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I suffer abdominal pain from 9 failed laparotomies to remove cysts and ovaries, im currently on 80mg Oxycontin 5 x a day, and Lyrica 2 x 450mg daily also for nerve damage this just takes the edge off it could be better but will try patch maybe all i need.....i suffer spinal probs as well neck as knees.......im a walking wounded so to speak lol....."

corina70 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 20, 2013

For Chronic Pain "I have been on strong pain medication since 2006 due to 13 spinal surgeries. Fentanyl, MS Contin, Roxicodone, were all effective at 1 point, but side effects and tolerance levels caused me to switch to Oxycontin 40mg 3 times a day, with Roxicodone for break through pain. Finding the correct dosage to avoid withdrawal symptoms was difficult, but finally my body has adjusted. First time in a VERY long time I am almost pain-free, with the least amount of side effects I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try."

MRSDJMCW (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "Degenerative Disc Disease. In 20 years I have been through all the medicines a regular doctor can write a prescription for. Once in pain management I started with 10 mg OxyContin twice a day then to 20mg twice a day. Now I am on OxyContin 20mg twice a day. OxyContin has worked for me in the long haul."

DogLover55 September 14, 2013

For Chronic Pain "I feel this medicine has helped with minimum side effects. I do not get a high or low feeling taking it. I have been able to do more with little pain. I have learned my limitations which was very important in order to not over do it that can cause more problems."

sherryms1 September 13, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Arthritis, ileostomy to name a few. 10mg slow release morning and night and 15mg 4 x a day of immediate release also take other meds. My tiredness is caused by my condition, but life has been more bearable. Sadly no cure but I have some relief and can do small things like wee short trips on mobility scooter."

elliie (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 2, 2013

For Chronic Pain "Great"

uncle jed August 31, 2013

For Chronic Pain "I suffer from degenerative arthritis in my lower spine, which is slowly making its way up my back. At first I was taking Oxynorm which is the same as OxyContin but in an instant release form. I began on 10mg a day, however due to tolerance issues this dosage quickly increased. Leaving me in a state where I was so stoned I might as well have been drunk. Concerned with that I spoke to my GP who changed me over to OxyContin, slow release. After 3 years, due once again to tolerance I am on 80mg 3x24hrs. The pain relief is awesome sometimes it's so effective I forget my backs stuffed. However some of the side effects are bad for instance I forget to breath, have trouble swallowing and the constipation is horrendous."

Gozzo August 11, 2013

For Chronic Pain "I've been on OxyContin 10mg 2x daily for about a month now and I stopped it about 2 days ago. I had gotten to where I didn't have the energy to do anything, getting out of bed was a tremendous chore and I have been waking up with a headache and going to bed with a headache. This is the second day off of it and I have a little more energy than I've had since I started it and I am hoping the headaches stop real soon. I made an appt to go back to my Dr. early to change."

Jerrie4364 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2013