User Reviews for OxyContin

Learn more about OxyContin.

Pain 183 reviews 912 medications

8.8
Chronic Pain 31 reviews 102 medications

8.2
Summary of OxyContin reviews 214 reviews 8.7

Reviews for OxyContin

Review by Solid mike:

For Chronic Pain: Use for Chronic pain. This is 4 Spinal Surgeries History. Have: Spinal Stenosis, DDD, Bone Chips & lots of Scar tissue.

July 6, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by beachwoman (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Chronic Pain: It is a real shame that the oxycontin ER has been reformulated. I started taking 40 mg 3 times a day 5 years ago after having to quit my job after 45 years of service and going on disability. It gave me so much relief that I was able to do things I was unable to do for a very long time. After the reformulation I went through real bad withdrawals because the medication was no longer as effective as it had been. I finally got through that and now I am struggling with all of the problems I had before I started taking it. I'm still taking it but I am suffering with severe fatigue and can barely get out of the bed in the morning and have very little energy. I can no longer work in my garden or walk my dogs & have to learn to live this way again!

May 29, 2014 7:10 PM

Review by Dustinb85 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: OxyContin seems to work really well for pain. But there is that is a few cons about this medicine for me is that my body would get used to to it and I would need to up the dose. I went from 10mg (2x a day) all the way up to 30 mg (2x a day) It has always only lasted tops 7 hours instead of the advertised 12. It without question has never lasted 12 hours. When I started taking this medicine by the 7 hour my legs would really be on fire again like clock work. So 2 pills would last 14 hours instead of 24 like the manufacturer says. So if you take this medicine make sure you get some breakthrough medicine. Make sure you take Exlax with this medicine. You will be constipated.

May 23, 2014 11:56 AM

Review by LauraLab1:

For Chronic Pain: I have chronic pancreatitis-cause unknown (I do not drink alcohol). The pain from this disease is constant and severe. I take Oxycontin 30 mg twice daily and it is very effective in controlling the pain and keeping it, for the most part, at a tolerable level (about 4-5 on the 1-10 pain scale). For occasional episodes of breakthrough pain, which can be very bad, I have oral Dilaudid 2 mg. I do not take this often, only when needed. It helps me avoid trips to the ER for pain control. Dilaudid is not often prescribed for home use. I'm under the care of a pain specialist. Neither my GI nor endocrinologist can prescribe schedule II narcotics. Chronic pancreatitis is one of the most painful diseases a person can have.

May 11, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by bobertnobert (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Chronic Pain: Only medicine that works properly.

January 26, 2014 6:19 PM

Review by RedSouthGirl84 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I have Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis that affects everything in my body (organs and joints) but mainly my lower back. Spinal stenosis, bulging and degenerative discs, severe nerve damage from carpal tunnel in both hands, plus both hips and knees need surgery in the near future also. I take 80mg OxyContin 3 times daily plus Percocet 10mg 3 times daily for breakthrough pain. I have to take my pain medication first thing in the morning before I can take on my day. Have tried MS Contin and it worked fine, just did not last the 12 hours that they say it was suppose to it was more like 6 and Lortabs was like taking a placebo.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2014 5:04 PM

Review by Alwaysanurseatheart:

For Pain: After severely injuring my back while lifting a patient, herniating three discs, three failed back surgeries and multiple ineffective pain relief measures I finally accepted that I will need medication until a cure for spinal nerve damage is found. Using oxycodone means I can walk my dog, keep my house neat, enjoy life with my husband and live life again. I am scruptiously careful about how much I take and keep them under lock and key for the safety of my grandchildren. With great care this drug can give you your life back. However if a person doesn't take very seriously the potential addiction properties it can make a bad situation worse.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2013 9:48 PM

Review by corina70 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Chronic Pain: I suffer abdominal pain from 9 failed laparotomies to remove cysts and ovaries, im currently on 80mg Oxycontin 5 x a day, and Lyrica 2 x 450mg daily also for nerve damage this just takes the edge off it could be better but will try patch maybe all i need.....i suffer spinal probs as well neck as knees.......im a walking wounded so to speak lol.....

October 20, 2013 6:27 PM

Review by MRSDJMCW (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I have been on strong pain medication since 2006 due to 13 spinal surgeries. Fentanyl, MS Contin, Roxicodone, were all effective at 1 point, but side effects and tolerance levels caused me to switch to Oxycontin 40mg 3 times a day, with Roxicodone for break through pain. Finding the correct dosage to avoid withdrawal symptoms was difficult, but finally my body has adjusted. First time in a VERY long time I am almost pain-free, with the least amount of side effects I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2013 10:03 AM

Review by DogLover55:

For Chronic Pain: Degenerative Disc Disease. In 20 years I have been through all the medicines a regular doctor can write a prescription for. Once in pain management I started with 10 mg OxyContin twice a day then to 20mg twice a day. Now I am on OxyContin 20mg twice a day. OxyContin has worked for me in the long haul.

September 14, 2013 11:24 PM

Review by sherryms1:

For Chronic Pain: I feel this medicine has helped with minimum side effects. I do not get a high or low feeling taking it. I have been able to do more with little pain. I have learned my limitations which was very important in order to not over do it that can cause more problems.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2013 7:13 PM

Review by elliie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Arthritis, ileostomy to name a few. 10mg slow release morning and night and 15mg 4 x a day of immediate release also take other meds. My tiredness is caused by my condition, but life has been more bearable. Sadly no cure but I have some relief and can do small things like wee short trips on mobility scooter.

September 2, 2013 9:14 PM

Review by uncle jed:

For Chronic Pain: Great

August 31, 2013 5:31 PM

Review by Gozzo:

For Chronic Pain: I suffer from degenerative arthritis in my lower spine, which is slowly making its way up my back. At first I was taking Oxynorm which is the same as OxyContin but in an instant release form. I began on 10mg a day, however due to tolerance issues this dosage quickly increased. Leaving me in a state where I was so stoned I might as well have been drunk. Concerned with that I spoke to my GP who changed me over to OxyContin, slow release. After 3 years, due once again to tolerance I am on 80mg 3x24hrs. The pain relief is awesome sometimes it's so effective I forget my backs stuffed. However some of the side effects are bad for instance I forget to breath, have trouble swallowing and the constipation is horrendous.

August 11, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by Jerrie4364 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Chronic Pain: I've been on OxyContin 10mg 2x daily for about a month now and I stopped it about 2 days ago. I had gotten to where I didn't have the energy to do anything, getting out of bed was a tremendous chore and I have been waking up with a headache and going to bed with a headache. This is the second day off of it and I have a little more energy than I've had since I started it and I am hoping the headaches stop real soon. I made an appt to go back to my Dr. early to change.

July 29, 2013 6:45 PM

Review by Tom M in PA:

For Pain: Have had leg/hip pain for over a year now. My doctor finally put me on OxyContin, and it works fantastic, however, I am concerned about the problem of becoming dependent on this medication. This should not be a long term medication.

July 18, 2013 6:40 PM

Review by Oxy condone (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Chronic Pain: I had knee replacement years ago, when they got in there it was a lot worse than what they thought, I ended up with steel from almost my hip to halfway down my shin. This has made the difference in me walking and being wheel chair bound. with Oxycontin I can shop, and do normal things. Without the pain relief it gives me I would be useless.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2013 5:59 PM

Review by dollface2u (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: This medication is great for my chronic back pain. I have been on the same dose for over two years and it helped me get through most of the day just on two 20mg pills. Lately it has stopped working as well and I am having a lot of breakthrough pain as the OXycontin is extended release and from it working for almost 6 hours per dose it now only helps for about 2 hours. It is great if you are also given something for breakthrough pain but I cannot imagine being off of it to be honest. I have had severe chronic lower back pain due to a pinched nerve which causes shooting pain that goes up and down my spine and even causes my legs to go numb. I also have carpal tunnel in my right hand and fibromyalgia. Overall this medication has been very helpful.

July 12, 2013 3:47 PM

Review by Ozzymania1964 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Chronic Pain: I have been taking for about 7 years. Started at 10mg 2xs a day plus 7.5 mg Vicodin 3xs a day. Now taking 30mg 2xs a day and 7.5 mg Norco 3 to 4xs a day. Before they changed the formula, it worked a lot better. It does give pain relief but it doesn't last 12 hrs, like they claim. I have herniated disc in back also AVN in hips. Just had left hip totally replaced now I need right hip replaced before they will do surgery on my back.

July 11, 2013 1:03 PM

Review by 4RealJennyB (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Chronic Pain: I used to take Vicodin 500 for severe menstrual cramps, this was in the the early 90's. I just used it for menstrual pain. I had a breast augment in 2001 and received enough Percocet to heal and my Dr. addressed using it as directed. I was suffering neck and shoulder pain already and never considered using opiates. It became so chronic and severe that by 2010 I couldn't work and by 2011 I was on 5mg oxycodone. Now in 2013 I use 20 mg Oxycontin 2x a day with 5 mg oxycodone for breakthrough pain. It has allowed me to exercise, go outside and drive, shop again, see my friends and family. It is no substitute for treatment. I am a candidate for spine surgery, I will attempt this at 37. I will see with proper therapeutic options and surgery how I can taper.

June 16, 2013 8:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Chronic Pain: I'm reading all these reviews and agree how effective this medicine is in dealing with chronic and cancer pain. Was on it for 12 years for back and breast cancer pain.

June 2, 2013 8:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Chronic Pain: The only side effect I've experienced is sleeplessness.

May 23, 2013 4:39 AM

Review by princefan29:

For Chronic Pain: It worked the best.

May 12, 2013 9:23 PM

Review by Thedeanius (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Chronic Pain: My PM doc ran me through the gamut of long acting pain killers before settling on OxyContin. When I started seeing this PM doc I had been taking 15 mg oxycodone (IR) 6 times a day and he told me we needed to get me on a long acting medicine. We tried Exalgo, Opana, Avinza, Nucynta, and Exalgo again. They all seemed to provide adequate pain relief, just not for the amount of time they claim to. Back to old faithful. OxyContin /oxycodone hasn't failed. me yet.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2013 3:16 AM

Review by Jake1219:

For Chronic Pain: I been on Oxycontin for 6 years now, of course my PM doc gave me the lowest dose and worked up from there. I am at the maximum amount they will give me which is 80mg 3 X a day plus, Oxy IR 30mgs 3 times a day plus Soma 350mg 3 times a day, it may seem like a lot but over the years my body developed a tolerance to this medicine but now I have been on this same dose for 3 years and it is perfect, no need to take anymore but the bad thing is the DEA inspected my docs office and asked him to switch all of his patients off of Oxycontin to morphine so now I am on the morphine. I am finding that it does not work as good as the Oxycontin.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2013 1:37 PM