User Reviews for OxyContin

Learn more about OxyContin.

Pain 183 reviews 908 medications

8.8
Chronic Pain 27 reviews 102 medications

8.3
Summary of OxyContin reviews 210 reviews 8.8

Reviews for OxyContin

Review by bobertnobert (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: Only medicine that works properly.

January 26, 2014 6:19 PM
Review by RedSouthGirl84 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I have Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis that affects everything in my body (organs and joints) but mainly my lower back. Spinal stenosis, bulging and degenerative discs, severe nerve damage from carpal tunnel in both hands, plus both hips and knees need surgery in the near future also. I take 80mg OxyContin 3 times daily plus Percocet 10mg 3 times daily for breakthrough pain. I have to take my pain medication first thing in the morning before I can take on my day. Have tried MS Contin and it worked fine, just did not last the 12 hours that they say it was suppose to it was more like 6 and Lortabs was like taking a placebo.

January 15, 2014 5:04 PM
Review by Alwaysanurseatheart: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Pain: After severely injuring my back while lifting a patient, herniating three discs, three failed back surgeries and multiple ineffective pain relief measures I finally accepted that I will need medication until a cure for spinal nerve damage is found. Using oxycodone means I can walk my dog, keep my house neat, enjoy life with my husband and live life again. I am scruptiously careful about how much I take and keep them under lock and key for the safety of my grandchildren. With great care this drug can give you your life back. However if a person doesn't take very seriously the potential addiction properties it can make a bad situation worse.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 31, 2013 9:48 PM
Review by corina70 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I suffer abdominal pain from 9 failed laparotomies to remove cysts and ovaries, im currently on 80mg Oxycontin 5 x a day, and Lyrica 2 x 450mg daily also for nerve damage this just takes the edge off it could be better but will try patch maybe all i need.....i suffer spinal probs as well neck as knees.......im a walking wounded so to speak lol.....

October 20, 2013 6:27 PM
Review by MRSDJMCW (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I have been on strong pain medication since 2006 due to 13 spinal surgeries. Fentanyl, MS Contin, Roxicodone, were all effective at 1 point, but side effects and tolerance levels caused me to switch to Oxycontin 40mg 3 times a day, with Roxicodone for break through pain. Finding the correct dosage to avoid withdrawal symptoms was difficult, but finally my body has adjusted. First time in a VERY long time I am almost pain-free, with the least amount of side effects I HIGHLY recommend giving it a try.

October 14, 2013 10:03 AM
Review by DogLover55: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: Degenerative Disc Disease. In 20 years I have been through all the medicines a regular doctor can write a prescription for. Once in pain management I started with 10 mg OxyContin twice a day then to 20mg twice a day. Now I am on OxyContin 20mg twice a day. OxyContin has worked for me in the long haul.

September 14, 2013 11:24 PM
Review by sherryms1: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I feel this medicine has helped with minimum side effects. I do not get a high or low feeling taking it. I have been able to do more with little pain. I have learned my limitations which was very important in order to not over do it that can cause more problems.

September 13, 2013 7:13 PM
Review by elliie (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Arthritis, ileostomy to name a few. 10mg slow release morning and night and 15mg 4 x a day of immediate release also take other meds. My tiredness is caused by my condition, but life has been more bearable. Sadly no cure but I have some relief and can do small things like wee short trips on mobility scooter.

September 2, 2013 9:14 PM
Review by uncle jed: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: Great

August 31, 2013 5:31 PM
Review by Gozzo: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I suffer from degenerative arthritis in my lower spine, which is slowly making its way up my back. At first I was taking Oxynorm which is the same as OxyContin but in an instant release form. I began on 10mg a day, however due to tolerance issues this dosage quickly increased. Leaving me in a state where I was so stoned I might as well have been drunk. Concerned with that I spoke to my GP who changed me over to OxyContin, slow release. After 3 years, due once again to tolerance I am on 80mg 3x24hrs. The pain relief is awesome sometimes it's so effective I forget my backs stuffed. However some of the side effects are bad for instance I forget to breath, have trouble swallowing and the constipation is horrendous.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 11, 2013 11:04 AM
Review by Jerrie4364 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I've been on OxyContin 10mg 2x daily for about a month now and I stopped it about 2 days ago. I had gotten to where I didn't have the energy to do anything, getting out of bed was a tremendous chore and I have been waking up with a headache and going to bed with a headache. This is the second day off of it and I have a little more energy than I've had since I started it and I am hoping the headaches stop real soon. I made an appt to go back to my Dr. early to change.

July 29, 2013 6:45 PM
Review by Tom M in PA: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Pain: Have had leg/hip pain for over a year now. My doctor finally put me on OxyContin, and it works fantastic, however, I am concerned about the problem of becoming dependent on this medication. This should not be a long term medication.

July 18, 2013 6:40 PM
Review by Oxy condone (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I had knee replacement years ago, when they got in there it was a lot worse than what they thought, I ended up with steel from almost my hip to halfway down my shin. This has made the difference in me walking and being wheel chair bound. with Oxycontin I can shop, and do normal things. Without the pain relief it gives me I would be useless.

July 14, 2013 5:59 PM
Review by dollface2u (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: This medication is great for my chronic back pain. I have been on the same dose for over two years and it helped me get through most of the day just on two 20mg pills. Lately it has stopped working as well and I am having a lot of breakthrough pain as the OXycontin is extended release and from it working for almost 6 hours per dose it now only helps for about 2 hours. It is great if you are also given something for breakthrough pain but I cannot imagine being off of it to be honest. I have had severe chronic lower back pain due to a pinched nerve which causes shooting pain that goes up and down my spine and even causes my legs to go numb. I also have carpal tunnel in my right hand and fibromyalgia. Overall this medication has been very helpful.

July 12, 2013 3:47 PM
Review by Ozzymania1964 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I have been taking for about 7 years. Started at 10mg 2xs a day plus 7.5 mg Vicodin 3xs a day. Now taking 30mg 2xs a day and 7.5 mg Norco 3 to 4xs a day. Before they changed the formula, it worked a lot better. It does give pain relief but it doesn't last 12 hrs, like they claim. I have herniated disc in back also AVN in hips. Just had left hip totally replaced now I need right hip replaced before they will do surgery on my back.

July 11, 2013 1:03 PM
Review by 4RealJennyB (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I used to take Vicodin 500 for severe menstrual cramps, this was in the the early 90's. I just used it for menstrual pain. I had a breast augment in 2001 and received enough Percocet to heal and my Dr. addressed using it as directed. I was suffering neck and shoulder pain already and never considered using opiates. It became so chronic and severe that by 2010 I couldn't work and by 2011 I was on 5mg oxycodone. Now in 2013 I use 20 mg Oxycontin 2x a day with 5 mg oxycodone for breakthrough pain. It has allowed me to exercise, go outside and drive, shop again, see my friends and family. It is no substitute for treatment. I am a candidate for spine surgery, I will attempt this at 37. I will see with proper therapeutic options and surgery how I can taper.

June 16, 2013 8:35 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I'm reading all these reviews and agree how effective this medicine is in dealing with chronic and cancer pain. Was on it for 12 years for back and breast cancer pain.

June 2, 2013 8:03 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: The only side effect I've experienced is sleeplessness.

May 23, 2013 4:39 AM
Review by princefan29: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: It worked the best.

May 12, 2013 9:23 PM
Review by Thedeanius (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: My PM doc ran me through the gamut of long acting pain killers before settling on OxyContin. When I started seeing this PM doc I had been taking 15 mg oxycodone (IR) 6 times a day and he told me we needed to get me on a long acting medicine. We tried Exalgo, Opana, Avinza, Nucynta, and Exalgo again. They all seemed to provide adequate pain relief, just not for the amount of time they claim to. Back to old faithful. OxyContin /oxycodone hasn't failed. me yet.

March 31, 2013 3:16 AM
Review by Jake1219: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I been on Oxycontin for 6 years now, of course my PM doc gave me the lowest dose and worked up from there. I am at the maximum amount they will give me which is 80mg 3 X a day plus, Oxy IR 30mgs 3 times a day plus Soma 350mg 3 times a day, it may seem like a lot but over the years my body developed a tolerance to this medicine but now I have been on this same dose for 3 years and it is perfect, no need to take anymore but the bad thing is the DEA inspected my docs office and asked him to switch all of his patients off of Oxycontin to morphine so now I am on the morphine. I am finding that it does not work as good as the Oxycontin.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2013 1:37 PM
Review by sammie1975: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I suffer with Elhers Danlos . This med Oxycontin has given me back my life. I take 15mg twice day. I can't get out of bed without it!

March 15, 2013 3:54 AM
Review by pigeontoe (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Pain: I have been dealing with chronic back, neck, hip, knee and both ankles pain for ten years now. I'm 48yrs I've always worked until my body broke down. If were not for the Oxycontin, I would be bedridden and in a wheelchair. When taken appropriately this is a miracle.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2013 7:14 PM
Review by Archer1234: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I used Oxycontin to deal with leg and terrible back pain. I was taking Vicodin, and if I didn't get ahead of my pain, I ended up using as many as 8 a day. All of the acetaminophen was damaging my liver. When I switched insurance companies, I had a regular doctor and a new pain management doctor, who told me that the Oxycontin was a better medicine for chronic pain because it does not have the ups and downs that Vicodin has, because Vicodin only lasts about 4 hours. I used the medicine for many years. I now use the Fentanyl patch with great results!

January 9, 2013 11:24 PM
Review by yorkielover64: User Rating:

OxyContin (oxycodone) for Chronic Pain: I have been living with chronic knee and back pain since 1982 with having a total of 13 right and left knee surgeries. I have degenerative joint disease throughout, the sacral vertebra in my spine have fused together and have injury in my back. I have been on multiple pain medications over the years and this medication helps me get through the day along with Flexerill. I have quit taking it for several months on end so I don't get addicted and did not have any side effects or withdrawal symptoms. I did have high levels of pain, but anyone who lives with a chronic condition like ours understands this. I have a great doctor who works with me trying to control it.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 22, 2012 3:46 PM