Medication Guide App

User Reviews for OxyContin

Learn more about OxyContin.

OxyContin review summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1814 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for OxyContin to treat Pain

Review by Alwaysanurseatheart: User Rating:

After severely injuring my back while lifting a patient, herniating three discs, three failed back surgeries and multiple ineffective pain relief measures I finally accepted that I will need medication until a cure for spinal nerve damage is found. Using oxycodone means I can walk my dog, keep my house neat, enjoy life with my husband and live life again. I am scruptiously careful about how much I take and keep them under lock and key for the safety of my grandchildren. With great care this drug can give you your life back. However if a person doesn't take very seriously the potential addiction properties it can make a bad situation worse.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 31, 2013 9:48 PM
Review by Tom M in PA: User Rating:

Have had leg/hip pain for over a year now. My doctor finally put me on OxyContin, and it works fantastic, however, I am concerned about the problem of becoming dependent on this medication. This should not be a long term medication.

July 18, 2013 6:40 PM
Review by pigeontoe (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have been dealing with chronic back, neck, hip, knee and both ankles pain for ten years now. I'm 48yrs I've always worked until my body broke down. If were not for the Oxycontin, I would be bedridden and in a wheelchair. When taken appropriately this is a miracle.

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2013 7:14 PM
Review by Greg E. (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have suffered from a double fusion on my lumbar spine since 2006. I have tried every known pain medicine in the book with no success until the doctor prescribed the last and only medicine that actually worked, OxyContin.

September 5, 2012 6:57 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

15mg IR 4 times a day, need knee surgery and can't afford it, this medicine has given me my way of life back.

August 27, 2012 10:17 PM
Review by buzzard156: User Rating:

I have had 13 back surgeries since 1997 after a car accident I also have a spinal stimulater in me. I take 20mg Oxycontin four times a day and 10/325 Percocet 5 times a day. My pain stays about the same, some days I can't walk.

August 20, 2012 10:22 PM
Review by Grateful Guy (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been on every ER pain medicine except for methadone. OxyContin is changing my life drastically for the better. I can now walk longer distances, help around the house, play with the kids and much, much more. In short this medicine is a life changer. I switched from fentanyl which always made me tired and grumpy. God bless my patient wife. I have a new life and I'm so grateful!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 26, 2012 4:14 PM
Review by Daily headache: User Rating:

I see so many people here rating this medicine as a lifesaver, and especially thankful because it allows them to play with their kids. Its the same for me. I still have a very low quality of life and spend a lot of time in bed, but without it I would barely be human.

July 23, 2012 11:44 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I'm a little skeptical because I actually withdrew a little from MS-Contin (morphine) when I switched to Oxycontin. So far it is working but I hear Morphine is the more potent of the 2. MS-Contin stopped working after 3 or 4 months.So 5 days into this Oxycontin it seems to be helping. I'm staying hopeful.

July 16, 2012 3:06 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

This is the best medicine for pain.

July 13, 2012 8:05 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Great

July 12, 2012 11:04 AM
Review by kawa-god (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Oxycontin, gave me my life back. I have taken literally every pain medicine combination known to man. This medicine is the one that has given me my ability to walk again without pain. My case was a very bad coal mining accident back in 2006. I have had five knee and leg surgeries, both shoulders reconstructed and my hips operated on three times. So I lived a very miserable life until I was put on this medicine by my family doctor. All the doctors at the pain clinic I was going to had me on medicines like Opana or Fentanyl and lots more.

July 11, 2012 8:17 PM
Review by Greenboy19 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I've been on the 60mg twice a day for over 2 years now with Roxicodone 30mg every six hours for breakthrough pain, works better for me than Avinza, High dose Norco, and even the Fentanyl Patches 25mcg-75mcg. It has given my life back, I do recommend you talk to your doctor and get on this medicine, the old version that had OC and 60 was a lot better than the newer OP/60, but eventually your body gets used to it. Just be careful take it as directed. The only side effect is constipation, but otherwise a God-Send!

June 30, 2012 11:09 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Made me feel a lot better and able to walk further and do day to day things.

June 20, 2012 7:51 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Took it twice and vomited both times.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 7, 2012 11:22 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I have fibromyalgia and I'm 31. I'm on disability now because the job I had for 10 years said I couldn't work there because I take 2 x 10mg a day of Oxycontin. At least now I can live a life. Play with my kids wash my car...etc. Before all I did was suffer at work and my work performance was so poor they even tried to fire me.....or get me to resign.

May 29, 2012 7:19 AM
Review by robair1: User Rating:

I have chronic thoracic back pain. I've been through nerve blocks, acupuncture, physical therapy, 3 chiropracters, 2 orthopedic surgeons, 1 neurosurgeon, 2 pain doctor's. Vicodin, Percocet, Kadian (very expensive). Insurance refused to pay anymore finally switched to oxycodone. Still have breakthrough pain with to much physical activity.

March 22, 2012 12:21 PM
Review by abigstepup: User Rating:

I am 56 with degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia and just underwent rhizotomy on lumbar. That still did not help with the pain. I also broke my back in 2000 which was not treated and my spine is deformed. I suffer so much, I also tried everyting, this is magnificent it only takes 15mg.

February 26, 2012 10:31 PM
Review by Raptor660rider: User Rating:

I have suffered with degenerative disc disease, 5 herniated discs and arthritis in my lumbar spine and neck. I have taken every medicine available, have tried all the injections but NOTHING works like Oxycontin. I now have a very rare form of Leukemia which doubled the pain that I was already in.

January 25, 2012 7:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have taken oxycodone for 2 years now. I had back surgery to repair a vertebrae that had been destroyed by cancer. I was on morphine for a while, but my wife complained that I was loopy on it. The oxycodone has been much better in that regard as well as pain relief. I take 40mgs twice a day and am very happy with the results.

December 13, 2011 9:14 AM

I have been on this medicine for about 11 to 12 years and found it to be the most effective and most tolerable for me. I have had to have my dosage raised over the 12 year period and take 210 mg over a 24 hr period, which is quite high. I don't believe I will have it raised from this level though because eventually the higher dose won't work either so I have decided that I will just have to live with some degree of pain and limit what I'm able to do. I also feel it causes erectile dysfunction and have talked to many others who say the same thing. I believe it affects many more than the 1% they claim with erectile dysfunction. Probably closer to 98% in reality.

November 16, 2011 9:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been diagnosed with Lumbar Spondylosis, Lumbar Canal Stenosis and Lumbar Radiculopathy. Oxycontin helps to keep my back pain down so I can walk. I had surgery on 11-15-2010 and they put two rods in my back but the pain is still there.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 7, 2011 3:32 PM
Review by HARLEYPENNY: User Rating:

Life is livable again. I have had no side effects. I stay very aware of the possibility for abuse so am very careful. I count my pills throughout the month and have to give a urine sample every couple months at the pain clinic. I have been on the same dose..60 mg every 12 hours for approx. 5 years. I cannot go back to life before I was placed on this medicine. There has been and always will be people who will abuse pain medicines and I can understand why doctors are so afraid to prescribe them but someone has to stand up and treat people like myself so we can get out of bed and face the day.

November 2, 2011 3:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I thank God everyday for this medication. I have pain in both of my knees and my lower back and both feet has spurs. I am only 47 yrs old, without Oxycontin I would not have a good life. I thank the makers of the wonderful pill because I can enjoy my life without suffering with pain.

October 24, 2011 7:45 AM
Review by old sailor: User Rating:

My doctor took me through a number of different medicines prior to starting Oxycontin. I have found that I sleep and eat better on Oxycontin. More importantly I function better on Oxycontin, including being able to care for myself. Since I began taking it my insurance tried to force me to the "generic" Oxycodone ER. Oxycodone made me physically ill whenever it released, it's continued use would have made me totally reliant on outside help as I live alone with closest family over 2,000 miles away. Since the Oxycodone affair we have tried other medicines and nothing works as well without the physical illness. I have ankylosing spondylitis and am looking at chronic pain.

October 18, 2011 11:02 AM