User Reviews for OxyContin

Learn more about OxyContin.

Pain 188 reviews 906 medications

8.8
Chronic Pain 42 reviews 106 medications

8.1
Summary of OxyContin reviews 230 reviews 8.5

Reviews for OxyContin

For Pain "Works great on pain. I would be bedridden without it."

Anonymous April 3, 2010

For Pain "I have three bulging discs, arthritis, and sciatica in my lower back and also was just recently diagnosed with fibramyalgia. I have been on Oxycontin for about a year now, and yes it has been increased about three times within that period of time. I am now on 80mg 4x's a day. It works great with the pain relief, but it makes me sweat so uncontrollably that I have to keep a fan on my on a constant basis. I am also on about 8 more kinds of medicines, so I'm not sure which ones are causing the dizziness. But when I wake up every morning, I can barely walk, and it takes about 45 minutes for the pain to subside. And then I start the sweating. But I can handle the sweating if it helps me walk so I can keep up with my four year old son. Truly a life saver."

HeatherEvans March 7, 2010

For Pain "I think I have tried every pain medication known to man over the last 9 years. This one is the only one that has allowed me to live a normal life."

camznan February 12, 2010

456 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "I am a 47 year old male who has taken this drug for 10 years. (300 mg per day everyday.) Yes it will ease pain, but normally 2 to 3 years you have to increase it. I was medically dependent within months. In late fall 09, the medicines just lost their effect by at least 50%. So I was faced with a 50% increase in medicines. I said NO! So I tried a medical detox place to start. After 90 hours there, they said you have done great we are sending you home. I was so proud till 4a.m. the next day. I threw up 90 times in the next 60 hours. I lost 34lbs. in 8 days and had severe withdrawal symptoms for 2 more weeks. It has been 30 days since I started this and I will never put that poison in my body. "

mountain dave January 13, 2010

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "After a series of operations on my lower back the nerve scarring caused chronic pain. After being prescribed one pain medication after another I was finally referred to a pain specialist. In 2000 I was put onto Oxy-contin at 30mg twice a day. After less than 3 months I suffered very bad withdrawal symptoms after missing the morning dose. The pain during those hours seemed to increase tenfold. By 2003 the dose had increased to 60mg three times a day. I have now been taking Oxycontin for 9 years. I still have break through pain that keeps me from most activities and my heart and lungs have been affected. I would like to stop taking the medication but have bad withdrawals."

1bazgam January 11, 2010

For Pain "I used this medicine under strict supervision at a pain management center after failed trials with Opana and Kadian which made me ill. Vicodin was not strong enough as I have had open back surgery from my skull to mid back to drain a spinal cord cyst called a "syrinx." My spine was arthritic and required struts to rebuild it; I now have chronic acute pain just holding up my head (max 5-6 hours at a time). Also have chronic low back pain arthritis and herniation with tear. Thankfully it relieved my pain and helped me function somewhat normally for 5-6 months. Then one month the refill arrived two days late and I went through withdrawal, suffering horribly with dark suicidal ideation and depression. I got off it. Now on Percocet, not ideal."

Anonymous January 7, 2010

For Pain "I have severe chronic neck pain due to permanent spinal cord nerve damage. I was given 20mgs twice a day and it didn't give me enough pain relief. The doctor has increased the dose to 20mgs three times a day and the side effects are too much to handle. My brain is foggy, I'm more anxious, dizzy, very lightheaded, I have a nagging headache that will not go away and I have an all around ill feeling. I like the idea of a pain medicine that is timed release and spreads out over time but, this mediciation is not right for me. I can't wait to get off of the oxycontin."

Anonymous December 20, 2009

For Pain "Oxycontin is the best drug I have ever had. I suffer from a prolapsed disc L5/S1. I also have a lot of shoulder pain due to a work accident where I had a bad fall. My dosage for Oxycontin is 120mg twice a day. I also take Panadeine Forte 200mg twice a day also Oxynorm 10mg 1-2 times per day for breakthrough pain. I also wear a patch called Fentanyl Durgesic 75mgr. I also get injections every 2-3 months, I also take a lot of depression medication. Overall with this combination my pain is under control most days but some days I cannot even get up and I lose my balance a lot. I have to rotate my movements regularly during the day and night I cannot sleep properly due to the pain."

sisko95 December 19, 2009

For Pain "I have chronic back problem and take Oxycontin 40mg and I know they work."

Anonymous December 13, 2009

For Pain "I have been on oxycontin 40mg for 2 months. It does not relieve my pain 100% but has given me some relief. I see a pain doctor. He started me on suboxone so that I would not get addicted to it. The worse side effect that I have noticed is the itching and nothing works. My doctor decreased me from taking the oxycontin 40mg three times a day to twice a day but he has put me on dilaudid 4mg every 8 hours as needed for pain. My pain had decreased when I was taking the 40mg 3 times a day. When I was taking it twice a day when the weather would change I would be in so much pain that I would have to go get an injection of demerol 100mg and phenergan 50mg. I was in a car accident over 8 yrs ago and had several injuries, but I still suffer from bracial plexus"

66tee63 December 10, 2009

For Pain "An excellent pain reliever. I did experience a few side effects though. I became irritable and would sometimes hear sounds I wasn't sure of. This drug has a high risk of dependency, but it can be controlled. To me, the side effects are worth it due to the great pain relief it provides."

BruceDBriley December 5, 2009

For Pain "Had been on Kadian and still had pain and had memory/confusion. Oxycontin worked great for pain with less side effects."

Anonymous November 30, 2009

For Pain "One of the best pain relievers you can find. For me it gets rid of the pain and makes you feel relaxed. Good Stuff!"

Shiro November 29, 2009

For Pain "I have severe chest pain from my esophagus and my doctor gave me 60 pills of Oxycontin 40mg and 10/500 Percocet. The Oxycontin was for major episodes and the Percocet was too take 4 times a day."

klk1900 November 22, 2009

For Pain "As a medical doctor with a practice specializing in the management of acute and chronic pain I find, from experience, that this medicine has sufficient pain relieving attributes but in return comes with a high risk of dependency."

RSaylorMD November 8, 2009

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "I suffer from degenerative disc disease. For years I was unable to live a normal functioning life. My Doc had me taking 4/10mg Norcos & 4/30mg Morphine pills daily. While they gave me some relief, I was still in a great deal of pain and felt like I was taking pills all the time. I spoke to my Doc about my continuing pain and the constant pill popping with minimal relief. She told me about Oxycontin. She said that she didn't normally prescribe it and only had one other patient on it but, I could try it to see if it gave me any better relief. I take 3/40mg Oxycontins daily now and the difference in my life is amazing. I hate the way people treat me when they learn that I am taking Oxy. It works wonders so get off our backs."

charliann November 3, 2009

243 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "I am 58 yrs old. In my teens and early 20s I played sports and have had numerous spine injury's. So far I have had 5 spine surgery, Radiation for cancer. I have lived with constant pain that is unbelievable. My quality of life was poor to say the least although I have be very active in hunting and fishing sports despite the pain. This drug is a life saver, any and every drug can be misused, the government has the Doctor community afraid of their own shadows on this drug, but properly used for folks like me it has no equal. My quality of life without this drug would be zero, side effects are there but manageable. If you are living with severe pain, seek out a Doctor that with prescribe this drug for you, and monitor you for the side effects."

budss101 October 12, 2009

248 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "EXCELLENT they really work for me"

Anonymous September 30, 2009

For Pain "I have chronic severe back pain from an injury at work. Fractured my T12 and messed up my lower back and a pinched nerve. I have been through Physical therapy, nerve blocks. I am now on Oxycontin 10 mg 3 x's a day, Vicodin 5/500 for break through pain (I take about 4 in 24 hours), Neurontin 300mg 3 times a day and Paxil for depression. Before being placed on all of the above my pain level was at 8-9. Now my pain level is 6-7 except if it rains or is cold then it's a 9. I'm still unable to do anything. Pain increases with any activity despite the medicines, plus I feel faint when I stand up, brain is foggy, poor memory. Hear common noises that I mistake for something else like singing or talking."

Dee5460 September 30, 2009

For Pain "I am so very pleased to read all of these reviews. I have been on Oxycontin for just over a year. After one cervical and two lumbar fusions my ortho doctor refused to prescribe anything stronger than Percocet. He referred me to the pain clinic and I am so very lucky to have a knowledgeable doctor. Oprah had a show on prescription drug addicts today (my family all have issues with this medication). I would like to see someone brave enough to stand up for all of us in chronic pain that HAVE to take this medication to simply function. I take 60mg 2x's a day and have felt guilty that is until I happened upon these postings. Now I feel like I can ask my doctor to up my dose one more time so that I can get the full benefit of the medicine."

JVKTN September 29, 2009

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pain "Been on this medication for three months now. Having problems with having to urinate in the middle of the night. Also, can't sleep an entire night and the mood swings are unbelievable. Pain wise, it does a good job."

plumber bob September 27, 2009

For Pain "I'm on Oxycontin 10 mg a day, 4 x 10 mg percocet a day, 1 Soma a day. Have bulging/herniated L45 disc, as well as small annular tear on L5S1 disc. The problems on those discs...Without the pain-killers, I would be suffering everyday."

paintaker17 September 13, 2009

For Pain "I was taking Oxycontin after 2 shoulder surgeries, then I was in a bad auto accident. Even upping me to 80mg 2 x daily wasn't enough. My doctor suggested Oxyfast for breakthrough pain, so I tried it. This was the only combination that took away all my pain, so I could work and care for my family. At 29 yrs old I thought my life was over, but these 2 medications gave me my life back!"

Anonymous September 4, 2009

For Pain "I have had 3 major life-saving surgeries in 11 months, and have tried a number of pain medications. While grateful to be alive, the constant pain had reduced my quality of life to just about zero. I now take Oxycontin 20 mg 2x a day, vicodin 10/325 4 times a day for breakthrough pain. This "recipe" has literally given me my life back! Occasional constipation is the only real side-effect I've experienced. 6 months ago I spent most of my life in bed. Now I am able to participate in all the activities I enjoyed before the surgeries, and take care of the day to day responsibilities of housekeeping, etc, without help. "

Cezanne August 28, 2009

For Pain "Works miracles for Fibromyalgia. I don't ever want to experience the pain of a nerve attack without Oxycontin ever again. I'm 19, so I can't just stay home and suffer and lounge around. I have a life to live, and if it weren't for Oxycontin I wouldn't be able to perform simple every day tasks. I will say though it is much, much safer to stay with the lowest possible dose, which are the 10mg ones (I don't take generics so there are probably lower doses, I just don't know of them). If you use Oxycontin in moderation and as prescribed it is easy to control dependency. They also work great for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Hope this helps."

Heretohelp12 August 8, 2009

289 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next