User Reviews for OxyContin

Learn more about OxyContin.

Pain 184 reviews 926 medications

8.8
Chronic Pain 33 reviews 103 medications

8.2
Summary of OxyContin reviews 217 reviews 8.7

Reviews for OxyContin

Review by klk1900:

For Pain: I have severe chest pain from my esophagus and my doctor gave me 60 pills of Oxycontin 40mg and 10/500 Percocet. The Oxycontin was for major episodes and the Percocet was too take 4 times a day.

November 22, 2009 3:18 AM

Review by RSaylorMD:

For Pain: As a medical doctor with a practice specializing in the management of acute and chronic pain I find, from experience, that this medicine has sufficient pain relieving attributes but in return comes with a high risk of dependency.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2009 6:05 AM

Review by charliann:

For Pain: I suffer from degenerative disc disease. For years I was unable to live a normal functioning life. My Doc had me taking 4/10mg Norcos & 4/30mg Morphine pills daily. While they gave me some relief, I was still in a great deal of pain and felt like I was taking pills all the time. I spoke to my Doc about my continuing pain and the constant pill popping with minimal relief. She told me about Oxycontin. She said that she didn't normally prescribe it and only had one other patient on it but, I could try it to see if it gave me any better relief. I take 3/40mg Oxycontins daily now and the difference in my life is amazing. I hate the way people treat me when they learn that I am taking Oxy. It works wonders so get off our backs.

242 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2009 11:56 AM

Review by budss101:

For Pain: I am 58 yrs old. In my teens and early 20s I played sports and have had numerous spine injury's. So far I have had 5 spine surgery, Radiation for cancer. I have lived with constant pain that is unbelievable. My quality of life was poor to say the least although I have be very active in hunting and fishing sports despite the pain. This drug is a life saver, any and every drug can be misused, the government has the Doctor community afraid of their own shadows on this drug, but properly used for folks like me it has no equal. My quality of life without this drug would be zero, side effects are there but manageable. If you are living with severe pain, seek out a Doctor that with prescribe this drug for you, and monitor you for the side effects.

247 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 12, 2009 1:43 AM

For Pain: EXCELLENT they really work for me

September 30, 2009 7:48 PM

Review by Dee5460:

For Pain: I have chronic severe back pain from an injury at work. Fractured my T12 and messed up my lower back and a pinched nerve. I have been through Physical therapy, nerve blocks. I am now on Oxycontin 10 mg 3 x's a day, Vicodin 5/500 for break through pain (I take about 4 in 24 hours), Neurontin 300mg 3 times a day and Paxil for depression. Before being placed on all of the above my pain level was at 8-9. Now my pain level is 6-7 except if it rains or is cold then it's a 9. I'm still unable to do anything. Pain increases with any activity despite the medicines, plus I feel faint when I stand up, brain is foggy, poor memory. Hear common noises that I mistake for something else like singing or talking.

September 30, 2009 6:00 PM

Review by JVKTN:

For Pain: I am so very pleased to read all of these reviews. I have been on Oxycontin for just over a year. After one cervical and two lumbar fusions my ortho doctor refused to prescribe anything stronger than Percocet. He referred me to the pain clinic and I am so very lucky to have a knowledgeable doctor. Oprah had a show on prescription drug addicts today (my family all have issues with this medication). I would like to see someone brave enough to stand up for all of us in chronic pain that HAVE to take this medication to simply function. I take 60mg 2x's a day and have felt guilty that is until I happened upon these postings. Now I feel like I can ask my doctor to up my dose one more time so that I can get the full benefit of the medicine.

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2009 7:58 PM

Review by plumber bob:

For Pain: Been on this medication for three months now. Having problems with having to urinate in the middle of the night. Also, can't sleep an entire night and the mood swings are unbelievable. Pain wise, it does a good job.

September 27, 2009 7:46 PM

Review by paintaker17:

For Pain: I'm on Oxycontin 10 mg a day, 4 x 10 mg percocet a day, 1 Soma a day. Have bulging/herniated L45 disc, as well as small annular tear on L5S1 disc. The problems on those discs...Without the pain-killers, I would be suffering everyday.

September 13, 2009 7:18 AM

For Pain: I was taking Oxycontin after 2 shoulder surgeries, then I was in a bad auto accident. Even upping me to 80mg 2 x daily wasn't enough. My doctor suggested Oxyfast for breakthrough pain, so I tried it. This was the only combination that took away all my pain, so I could work and care for my family. At 29 yrs old I thought my life was over, but these 2 medications gave me my life back!

September 4, 2009 5:36 PM

Review by Cezanne:

For Pain: I have had 3 major life-saving surgeries in 11 months, and have tried a number of pain medications. While grateful to be alive, the constant pain had reduced my quality of life to just about zero. I now take Oxycontin 20 mg 2x a day, vicodin 10/325 4 times a day for breakthrough pain. This "recipe" has literally given me my life back! Occasional constipation is the only real side-effect I've experienced. 6 months ago I spent most of my life in bed. Now I am able to participate in all the activities I enjoyed before the surgeries, and take care of the day to day responsibilities of housekeeping, etc, without help.

August 28, 2009 5:03 AM

Review by Heretohelp12:

For Pain: Works miracles for Fibromyalgia. I don't ever want to experience the pain of a nerve attack without Oxycontin ever again. I'm 19, so I can't just stay home and suffer and lounge around. I have a life to live, and if it weren't for Oxycontin I wouldn't be able to perform simple every day tasks. I will say though it is much, much safer to stay with the lowest possible dose, which are the 10mg ones (I don't take generics so there are probably lower doses, I just don't know of them). If you use Oxycontin in moderation and as prescribed it is easy to control dependency. They also work great for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Hope this helps.

289 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2009 3:01 PM

For Pain: It allows me to get out of bed. I can't imagine living without it.

August 6, 2009 12:17 AM

Review by toots1201:

For Pain: I have been on Oxycontin for over a year now and it has helped me tremendously although I only take 30mg XR 3 times a day and IR for break through pain 3 times a day. I am not in pain most of the day. I awake in the morning feeling crappy but take an IR and within 1/2 hour I am fine. I do not feel "high", I can function normally and even care for 3 grandchildren I am now raising. So, without this medication, I'd be on short term pain medicines that do nothing but make you sleep. I was on Roxicodone for a year as well and they took me off at my request and because I needed pain medicines for the long term I thank whoever is responsible for finding this medication for us, who depend on it, to let us lead normal (best of our ability) lives.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2009 7:44 PM

Review by J man dad:

For Pain: I have been on Hydrocodone 10 /500 and Norcos 10/325 for a year. He recently moved me over to Percocet 10/500. I was still taking 4-5 at a time 3 to four times a day and functioning fine, going to school and taking care of my kids without a hitch. I could not afford to take them anymore at 100 dollars with no insurance for a script.

July 20, 2009 9:53 PM

Review by MEDPROlisten:

For Pain: Very strong medicine. Good for long lasting relief.

July 20, 2009 8:11 PM

Review by youknowyouwantme:

Excellent information. Everthing I was looking for and more.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2009 10:15 AM

For Pain: As a pharmacy technician, the advice in this column recommends that unused portions of the drug should be flushed in the toilet. This is an incorrect myth. Drugs flushed in the toilet can contaminate our resources and water supply. Any drugs not used should be turned into a pharmacy so proper disposal can be taken care of. *** Editor's Note - Only about a dozen drugs, such as powerful narcotic pain relievers and other controlled substances, carry instructions for flushing to reduce the danger of unintentional use or overdose and illegal abuse. The FDA worked with the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) to develop the first consumer guidance for proper disposal of prescription drugs. See http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm101653.htm

July 16, 2009 9:18 PM

Review by wESSY:

For Pain: This has worked great for my lower back pain.

July 13, 2009 12:27 AM

Review by peter28:

For Pain: I had a fatal accident 12 months ago a, broke both pelvis, multiple ribs, fractured ankle and many more fractures in my body. I use this medicine for the pain and it is 100% effective.

July 8, 2009 3:25 AM

Review by crossedwires:

For Pain: To keep this within limits I will not get detailed on the benefits of Oxycontin. As you can read on the other forums it works. I take 80mg 3x a day and it works great. Been on it for 5 years now and liver test done last month was excellent. I am tired of the bad rap this medicine gets though. There are even sites devoted to its removal by people who have lost loved ones who abused the drug. While I feel for these people, no one told anyone abuse this wonderful drug. When taken properly this medicine works excellent with little to no side effects. It is said that you become dependent on this medicine but it is meant for long term and a good doctor will bring you down properly. So withdrawals should be minimum. This is a true wonder drug.

477 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2009 2:08 PM

Review by huggz:

For Pain: Oxycontin has really helped me with pain.

June 21, 2009 9:57 AM

For Pain: I have been in pain for 3 years and Oxycodone has been a life saver. I take 3 x 40s and 3 x 30 IR a day and I can get up and live my life as best as I can. I still have pain but these have made it better to live. I hate how everyone looks down on this medication that my doctor has helped me with. Thank goodness for doctors who help.

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2009 3:42 PM

Review by pll:

For Pain: Oxycontin is the greatest pain killer ever made, I dislocated both my shoulders at the same time and was taken to ER and sat there for 6 hours with both my shoulder out of socket. I was screaming so anyway after I was fixed a day later the right shoulder popped out again. So got that put in and they gave me 40mg Oxycontin and it took the pain away for good.

June 8, 2009 1:48 PM

Review by Edward Montoya:

For Pain: Works very well. I highly recommend it.

June 8, 2009 12:30 AM