User Reviews for OxyContin

Learn more about OxyContin.

Pain 183 reviews 912 medications

8.8
Chronic Pain 31 reviews 102 medications

8.2
Summary of OxyContin reviews 214 reviews 8.7

Reviews for OxyContin

Review by stevelc03:

For Pain: I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 4 yrs ago. I had a total knee replacement done 4 months ago and was told I have degenerative joint disease. Due to those 2 medical problems the total knee replacement is taking FOREVER to heal, therefore I am in constant, extreme pain. I take 1 - 40 mg tablet of Oxycontin 3 x daily and 1 -10/325 mg tablet of Percocet 6 x daily. I can HONESTLY say that if I were not taking these medications the pain would be too intolerable for me to do at least half of the things that I HAVE to do on a daily basis. I still feel some pain, my pain level went from a 10 to a 3 when I take both medicines as prescribed. 2 thumbs up.

March 9, 2011 10:57 AM

For Pain: Have had 13 low back surgeries The Oxycontin has helped me lead as normal life as much as possible, until they changed them. They don't work even near what the oc had. I now they say not to crush them but I would crush one.Dr put me to 4 80s three times a day. To get to where i had been getting somewhat of a life back, I would crush one for breakthrough pain felt pretty good. Now I am right back in bed 24hr a day,Also noticed my body has been putting out a smell like burnt rubber,And sick to my stomach, Have not had a bowl movement in 2 weeks .I told the Dr I would give him all my oxycontin back to him to just get something else. So I will be changing.

March 7, 2011 1:04 PM

Review by anonymous d:

For Pain: I've been prescribed them for years and they've done nothing but make my life livable, the time I can enjoy with my kids now that I'm not in constant pain, but the OP's? I got really bloated from them, the pain is the same as it would be after taking two Lortab tens. When and how can I find a pharmacy that has the OC that saved my life, my job, me existence because I'm falling apart with the allergic reactions from the new OP's like I'm allergic.

March 4, 2011 12:57 AM

Review by Exfla:

For Pain: I was on every pain medicine imaginable and even Oxycontin for a few years. At first I thought it was the 'wonder medicine' people talk about. After a while though, it caused me more problems than it was worth. The strange thing was, if I took the normal (prescribed) dose, I would actually feel like I had more pain than if I didn't take it at all, so I was always trying to take more because if I didn't take it I had withdrawals. Then I was always caught trying to take more to avoid the pain or the withdraw. I finally got away from that and started taking methadone. A very small dose of methadone does fine with absolutely no side affects, no withdrawals if I don't need it that day, and no chasing the pain away.

February 23, 2011 9:39 PM

Review by _Nicoletti:

For Pain: I have suffered with an incurable rare spinal cord injury. I first tried Oxycontin in December 2010. Little did I know that they were taking the generics off the shelves. The medicine worked great.The new oxy op is very expensive and not of the same release time. How are people going to afford this?

February 20, 2011 2:00 AM

Review by zoe311:

For Pain: I have used the OC for 11 years. During that time I have only decreased my dosage. Now, the OP formula simply doesn't work. I take 2-3X the breakthrough pain medicines, I have added ibuprofen and naproxen to my regimen. I am going to have to increase my OP dosage on my next visit because it simply doesn't work. Thia new formula is ineffective. I'm going to discuss switching to a different medication, but the OC used to work so well. I was able to go canoeing and walking in the woods. Now I'm back to missing work.

February 19, 2011 5:58 PM

Review by NurseJFW:

For Pain: I have had RSD for 20 years and was well controlled on 30mg Percocet and 30mg Methadone a day. The pain doctor wanted a change and now I am on the new Oxycontin 20mg twice a day. I took my 20mg at 7 am. It is now 8 hours later and I am at a level 7 pain. From the last few days experience when I take 20mg at 7pm, it will last until midnight then I will be at a level 8 or 9 pain. I have not slept in 3 days. I was well controlled! Why couldn't she leave it alone?

February 14, 2011 4:47 PM

Review by CLATX:

For Pain: I take 80mg 3 times a day. Before taking this medicine I spent almost two years in a bed due to the pain levels I would reach when standing or walking on my foot. After my doctor switched me to Oxycontin for long term use my whole life changed. I now have been taking this medicine for over 10 years and I don't know how I could have survived without it.

January 29, 2011 1:35 AM

For Pain: Used during chemotherapy for neuropathy. Helped with pain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2011 2:02 AM

Review by gixxser:

For Pain: I was run over by a car last year and suffer with extreme sciatic back pain. Until I have surgery I have been going to a pain management doctor. She has prescribed me oxycodone 30mg 5 times a day along with methadone 10mg 2 times a day. The combination of these medicines is a miracle for me. I can now enjoy life without having to drink all day. You forget how awesome life is until you cant enjoy it because of severe pain! Hope the people at these manufactures know how much the medicines they make have helped me to enjoy life again. Thank you.

January 20, 2011 2:20 PM

For Pain: THE NEW OXYCONTIIN HAS A SLOW ONSET FOR ME. INSTEAD OF A 15 MINUTE ONSET, IT TAKES 45 MINUTES. I SUSPECT IT IS BECAUSE MY STOMACH ACID LEVEL IS LOW BECAUSE I TAKE PRILOSEC DAILY FOR ACID REFLUX. I CALLED PURDUE PHARMA AND ASKED IF THEY HAD TESTED THE NEW FORMULA FOR EFFECTIVENESS IN PEOPLE WHO TAKE PRILOSEC. THE ANSWER WAS NO. THE TECH I Spoke WITH SAID IT SHOULDN'T MATTER BECAUSE IT IS SIMPLY IMMERSION IN LIQUID THAT DISSOLVES OXYCONTIN. THIS TURNED OUT TO BE WRONG. I HAD A FEW OF THE OLD OXYS SO I DID AN EXPERIMENT. IN TWO SEPARATE CONTAINERS I PUT 20 MG OXYS TO COMPARE HOW THEY DISSOLVED. THE OLD PILL DISSOLVED MUCH FASTER.

January 13, 2011 7:40 PM

For Pain: Did wonders for my pain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2011 5:56 PM

Review by OP's Oxy Poision:

For Pain: I have a major complaint about the changing of the OC's to the OP's. I have been taking the 80mg OC's for the last 2 years for my Neuropathy from my diabetes and it seems to have been the only thing that works for the pains that I have. Now after the change of them to the OP's I have been taking them now for today being the third day and they don't do much for my pain. On top of that they make my whole body itch very bad and today discovering that I'm now passing blood in my urine. Have never done that in my life of 48 years. So what do I to do now? I understand why the changes were made with the formulation, but what about the people who use it the right way and who really need it? We are the one's who are suffering because of people who abuse it.

January 2, 2011 9:04 PM

For Pain: 0016unregistered: Posted about how the Oxycontin doesn't work as well as it used to. I agree. The abusers have caused so many problems for us legitimate users, in real, horrible pain that the DEA has directed the manufacturers to do something, I don't know what, (I heard it on the radio, don't remember the details) to prevent abuse. I use 40mg 3x day, and, about, say, 18 months ago I detected a very noticeable reduction in effectiveness -- and it is not tolerance. It happened too quickly. I will spare you the details of my injury, suffice it to say I am confined to a wheelchair after being T-boned by a stone cold sober driver ran a red light.

December 14, 2010 8:48 AM

Review by 0016:

For Pain: I have been on 80mg Oxycontin for five years. I have had four major back surgeries in the past four years. The Oxycontin has helped me lead as normal life as possible, until they changed them. They don't work even near as they used to. Now my pain really has jumped from a five to a possible eight on the doctor's pain scale.

December 1, 2010 4:53 PM

Review by charleshold:

For Pain: I have peripheral neuropathy and pain throughout my body. I have been on Norco 350/7 mg 6 x day and 20 mg. Oxycontin 3 times a day. Most days it helps the pain tremendously. There are days that nothing much helps though. Luckily that is not that common. My pain management Doctor has been good working with me and getting me the help I need. Overall Oxycontin has helped my quality of life.

November 10, 2010 1:51 PM

Review by llawen:

For Pain: Five years ago, I was close to suicidal with pain and found a superb pain management doctor.at the Beth Israel Pain & Palliative Care Unit in NYC. I HIGHLY recommend them. Recently, I began to feel pain again of the acute variety (am always in some chronic pain), Said to my husband, "it is as if this drug is not working at all". Went today for my regular two month check-up and told my doctor. He nodded and told me that MANY of his patients no longer get relief with Oxycontin as the new formula (meant to keep abusers from crushing it) does not work well in ER form. I had not had to use more than the same dose for 5 years, and was in relative comfort, given my disability, and now I have to try a higher dosage or change medication.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2010 8:54 PM

Review by Hez424:

For Pain: I have been on OxyContin for 8 years now, I have many problems and I am disabled. They've tried me on several medicines before this and nothing worked. I am so sensitive and allergic to a lot of medicines. But then they started me on OxyContin's and it has worked for me up until last month when they changed them. They are not as effective as they once were and now I am suffering because of it.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2010 11:08 PM

For Pain: Well I have been taking Oxycontin 40mg for 5 years now and it has changed my life until a couple of weeks ago. Now they don't work nearly as good as they did. They put a time release all the way through the pill and it doesn't take the pain completely away now. I hope they change back because this has affected my life a lot!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2010 1:14 PM

Review by cindy 1957:

For Pain: I was just put on oxycontin yesterday 10 mgs twice a day with norco for break through pain. I was on oxycodone 5mgs 4 times a day. The only thing I don't like is the headache I got this morning and dry mouth, but I will stay with it, because it works.

October 6, 2010 8:28 PM

Review by OriginalOC:

For Pain: I was very skeptical about this medicine at first. But when I started on it I realized of all the medicines I've tried none worked Like this. My life was destroyed when I a traumatic injury ruined my life. Suicide, depression, whole 9 yards. I tried everything first to no avail. I decided to go the medication route.

October 6, 2010 6:31 PM

For Pain: Have been on this medication for about 1 and a half years. Severe neuropathy in both ankles and feet, degenerative disc disease in 2004\, several broken bones over the years from horseback riding. This medicine has given me my life back after suffering with chronic pain for years. Take 120mg of Oxycontin twice a day and 30 mg of oxycodone four times a day for breakthrough pain. Am able to work 12 hour night shifts and get on with my life due to this drug. Without it I would not be able to do anything other than be in misery.

September 24, 2010 11:02 PM

Review by kleenex-kidd:

For Pain: I have worked the coal mines all my life. About 5 years ago, I was in a major mine accident. After 7 orthopedic surgeries, I realized I was going to have to live with this horrible pain. It was so bad that the thought of suicide lingered in my mind so often it became my only thought. That was until I went and saw my family doctor. He started me on Vicodin, then Percocet and a list of others. I didn't have much luck with all those other medicines. Finally, he put me on Oxycontin. What a difference it made in my mental health and my physical well being. Now I take the 80 mg three times a day and I can finally live again. I still get horrible breakthrough pain at times but even with that, my life is so much better.

September 16, 2010 4:14 PM

For Pain: Have suffered chronic knee and lower back pain for 10 years severe osteoarthritis of both knees and have torn and bulging discs, age 42. I am so grateful to the locum who initially prescribed oxycontin 12 months ago (now 20mg x 2) - a prescription for the first time which has lessened the pain and at last improved my quality of life. I was very reluctant to try an 'opiate', and remain on a lower dose by choice. For me the side effects and fear of becoming dependent is far outweighed by the relief provided. All medicines can be abused, and can have side effects - its a fine balance, but genuine chronic pain suffers must not be denied an effective treatment.

September 11, 2010 6:40 PM

For Pain: I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis; adenomyosis in my left pelvic muscle; and just recently had 3 cancerous polyps removed from my colon. I am 27 years old and I have undergone 9 surgeries in the past 2 years I have tried every pain medication out there and Oxycontin is the only thing that gives me any relief. I know that I have a long road ahead and will most likely have to increase my dosage in over the years, but thanks to the Oxycontin I am able to get out of bed and do the normal things I need to do to be a successful individual.

September 6, 2010 3:22 PM