User Reviews for Trileptal

Learn more about Trileptal.

Seizures 13 reviews 41 medications

7.8
Summary of Trileptal reviews 13 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Trileptal

For Seizures "Due to possible heart failure about 15 years ago I started having partial seizures waking up in airplanes or hotels not knowing were I was for some time and than gradually became alert until I started with many severe seizures. I started with Tegretol and then switched with Trileptal that was very effective. Forgot to take it a few times and had seizures until I became very conscious of the need and since then I am quite well. I need to stay far from confrontations and conflicts. I currently take 1,500 MG daily (600 morning, 300 dinner 600 @ sleep). My sodium level suffered a lot but I am good on it now. The way to balance it is with coconut water, sports drink and adding a bit more on home cooking. It is a super medicine. I miss my red wine!"

Joçao Humberto Silva (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2014

For Seizures "I have spacial seizures. I take 1200 mg per day. It has been 100% effective for the last two years. I had about six months of problems after I began taking Lipitor, but none since I was taken off the Lipitor. I'm a 67 year old male who has had seizures for over 30 years. It has been as effective as Tegretol was until it stopped working after 14 years. I had a short bout with low sodium after open heart surgery."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 8, 2014

"Thank you 'Drugs.Com'. for your list of severe side effects, I was able to explain to my Dr. why all these side effects that occurred within (3) weeks were the result of Trileptal. High fever, kidney infection with blood in the urine, extremely high PSA (from 0.5 to 13.3), elevated liver labs, positive/reactive for hepatitis B (after several labs, it was confirmed that it was negative), insomnia, total fatigue, etc. And the list continues, again this all happened within (3) weeks. After (2) rounds of antibiotics (PSA dropped down to 2.5), x-rays, cat scans, bladder/kidney tests confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my prostate, kidney or liver. Even after my experience I'm happy so many of you have wonderful results! Good luck to all."

DWS(Dave) (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2014

"I take 150mg at night. It makes me drowsy, along with a 0.5mg alprazolam I can finally get at least 5-6 hours of sleep at night. I did not know how ill my disorder was making me until I was on this medication and the prescriber that I was seeing let me lapse because I missed my appointment for a refill. Within a couple weeks, I wanted to put my jacket on and run away, thought about running into traffic, real manic, racing thoughts while feeling depressed. I never knew how sick I was for all of those years until I was on the Trileptal and felt what "healthy" was like. Thankfully, found a new doctor and back on it and do not plan on stopping, ever!"

itlpsychogrl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2014

For Seizures "I'm 33 year old female and was diagnosed with seizures at 31. They came out of no where. Had MRI and a eeg no signs of anything they were normal. With not be able to find what type of seizures they are its hard to find help from anywhere. I tried this medication trileptal and it is a nitemare for me. I started with 2 tablets a day along with keppra that I was already on. They may not work well together. But I've been in trileptal for 1 month now and since the seizures has picked up which I didn't like that at all. I called the doctor which is surpose to be a seizure specialist and she said to up the medication And that's when I noticed they were coming more than they normally do and I noticed up set stomach. No success with it at all!"

Randi-B34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on Topamax and my Dr. added 300 mg Trileptal twice a day to deal with anxiety issues caused by Topamax. I have experienced no weight gain and few side effects. There was an initial feeling of "contentment" whenever I took it, but this wore off after a couple weeks. Since adding Trileptal to the repertoire I've experience no manic symptoms but blessed, normal emotions. It's like the anxiety was cut away and a real human being was exposed underneath. The emotions are loud and clear but they aren't overpowering. No cycling. I'd say this was a real plus."

bsh85 September 24, 2013

152 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I have MS and experienced a severe relapse and spent a week in the hospital with chronic face pain. After determining it was Trigeminal neuralgia, my neurologist and I spent several weeks trying numerous treatments. Trileptal was the only one that gave me not only immediate relief, but I haven't had any face pain for months now!"

JessMess August 6, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Tried Tegretol to no avail. Trileptel is great for me."

junelynn63 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have just begun Trileptal as a treatment for Bipolar I. I was previously on Seroquel 150 and was unable to function at all within 45 minutes of taking it. I experience rapid cycling and more manic episodes than depressive ones and so the Seroquel helped me sleep. However, I noticed weight gain almost immediately and immense hunger-almost ravenous. When it would wear off I was extremely hostile and agitated. The side effects seemed to outweigh the benefits. So far Trileptal has left me with no side effects except for a slight headache and I have smoothly transitioned out of my manic episode. I feel like I may need a sleep aid however- still experiencing a bit of insomnia. I can only hope the success continues!"

Ewokbaby June 5, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I have had Trigeminal Neuralgia for 20 yrs. There has been only one Dr. that hit it on the nose. Trileptal great medicine."

orkie March 12, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I am diagnosed with Bipolar, still unsure if my type is 1 or 2 because I experienced good several bout of signification impairment of function depressions and frequent severe hypomanics or mild manics. Mixed episodes are my main presentation of bipolar disorder. I tried Lamotrigine and many antidepressants, all they did was fueled my mild delusional manics and another times was mixed. I was on carbamazepine and lithium, it was good but I developed allergic reaction to carbamazepine and fueled a month and half long of constant hypomania mood and doctor put me on Trileptal. For the first time I am able to feel content without any explanation. It is a great medicine, you don't feel side effect and being content, that's a dream to me."

Ncderw (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2013

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Seizures "My son of 7 has been on Trileptal for 2 weeks. Immediately the most evident side effect was solemness. A week into therapy he was playing outside and complained of dizziness, weakness and pain all over. Thanks to literature at Novartis site is very comprehensive so I found out about Hyponatremia (sodium level becoming very low). A few drops of concentrated table salt solution in both ears immediately took care of the problem. As for seizures, he hadn't had any. But then, we only found out about his rare nocturnal seizures by coincidence. He did have night terrors twice a month before. We haven't had any of those yet."

ASJ January 10, 2013

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "It worked very good; however it lowered my blood sodium which can be dangerous so I had to stop taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2012

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "Stopped the incapacitating seizures. Side effects are bothersome but not as awful as the seizures: Sugar-sweet taste of all food, fatigue, occasional nausea, memory issues, sight issues, balance problems."

mtnclimber10 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine is wonderful. Only have problems when I can't afford to pay for it. Seems to take the edge off whenever I need it the most."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 15, 2012

For Anxiety "I'm sixty-eight years old and have dealt with anxiety/depression my whole life. There were some medicines over the years that helped, but for one reason or another, I had to stop taking them. But five years ago (July 17,2007) I had an acute neurological episode that awoke me from sleep straight into a Carnival Midway atmosphere. Very disturbing, and my sleep was never restful from that day forward. Four different polysomnograms verified I was getting less than a third of normal REM sleep. Six months ago I discovered Ambien and was quite pleased, but I was recently to see a pain management doctor who understands the value of good sleep in dealing with chronic pain; his preference is Trileptal so I went on it. Never felt this relaxed and normal."

SantaFeJack (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2012

For Trigeminal Neuralgia "I have been taking 1200mg daily for a number of years and there are times when I'm pain free and times when I'm not pain free. Interestingly enough the pain is usually worse in the morning, and if I ignore it as best I can, it subsides. But it often comes back later in the day and around bedtime."

Xboater (taken for 10 years or more) May 29, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Trileptal changed my life. After anti-psychotics not being a good add on to my Lithium and Lamitcal because of heavy non-functional side effects/not tolerated. I searched so long and hard for something that might be able to help stabilize my mood (mostly mania). I have been taking Tripetal at a low dose of 600mg per day for 3 weeks, in addition to my current medication, and just in the first week my mood evened out, I felt normal or whatever normal probably feels like. I am now able to go into therapy and tackle some of my addiction/impulsive behavior that I did not have the capacity to do before when I was not in my right mind. I am so grateful for this medicine for my Bipolar disorder."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2012

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm going into my second month using Trileptal and started at 600 mg a day. My Dr just upped it to 900mg because it wasn't stabilizing my moods as much as I would like. I also take Klonopin for anxiety and the Trileptal for my bipolar. So far, no side effects like the Topamax with tingling but I'm hoping it starts working better. My Dr wants to throw in an antidepressant along with something for ADHD but wants to wait till this kicks in. "

Anonymous April 23, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication was extremely effective at stabilizing my moods. The problems that I had made it so that I could not continue on it and therefore needed to rate it so low (because of the severe side effects). First off, I literally saw double for several hours after taking it. Do you remember the Wrigley's double mint gum commercials? Well literally that's what I experienced. It DID go away after several hours afterward but was really weird and gave me a headache when it happened every morning. My skin, especially my lips, would get numb and tingly. The biggest problem though was that it gave me constipation so bad that nothing I ate or took could alleviate it. The ONLY way I could EVER go is if I took a heavy (not mild) laxative."

Anonymous February 28, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Trileptal over 2 years ago and had horrible side effects. Started at 1500mg with no change in mood and with no side effects. Raised it to 2400 Mg (Max dosage) and was in a constant drunk/high haze all day. 20 minutes after taking it I couldn't walk in a straight line. My parents would spend an hour some mornings trying to get me to wake up. My managers wouldn't let me work cause it was too noticeable I was "high". Trileptal seems to help a lot of people so this isn't to discourage people for taking it. "

Anonymous January 30, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine was working well until the third week when I broke out in a rash around the upper arms, ankles and upper thighs."

dnb367 November 15, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Trileptal for bipolar disorder for years. I switched from Depakote as it made my hair fall out and I hated the monthly blood tests. I take a large dose of Trileptal, 2100mg/day and shortly after taking it I may have some short-lived side effects (tingling in my face, mild double vision and sleepiness) for about a 1/2 hour. My doctor says I might avoid these if I'd split it into morning and evening doses but I have no doubt I'd forget the morning dose regularly. Trileptal has been very good to me! I still take a low dose birth control (Norethindrone 0.35mg/day) to help with "monthly" ups and downs and we've added Lamictal for it's antidepressant effects (I found out anti-depressants may increase cycling). I've never felt this "Normal" before!"

MirandaPanda October 31, 2011

For Seizures "I was having seizures off and on for almost 4 yrs. Diagnosing this was difficult because I could never had a witness or could describe the symptoms. I was averaging 1 per month then I got worse. I had 4 in two weeks but all of them had witnesses. I called my doctor and he ran heart tests and an MRI on my head. That's when he said I had Partial Epilepsy and gave me the Trileptal. I've been taking it for 6 weeks and haven't had any problems since then. I like this pill very much and the best part is its only $4 a month."

Jimbo59 October 17, 2011

For Seizures "Very effective to me. Considering, greatly suppressed seizure frequency and low interference from side effects."

Mike Temple October 6, 2011