User Reviews for Trileptal

Learn more about Trileptal.

Seizures 12 reviews 40 medications

7.6
Summary of Trileptal reviews 12 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Trileptal

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Seizures: I have spacial seizures. I take 1200 mg per day. It has been 100% effective for the last two years. I had about six months of problems after I began taking Lipitor, but none since I was taken off the Lipitor. I'm a 67 year old male who has had seizures for over 30 years. It has been as effective as Tegretol was until it stopped working after 14 years. I had a short bout with low sodium after open heart surgery.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by DWS(Dave) (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Thank you 'Drugs.Com'. for your list of severe side effects, I was able to explain to my Dr. why all these side effects that occurred within (3) weeks were the result of Trileptal. High fever, kidney infection with blood in the urine, extremely high PSA (from 0.5 to 13.3), elevated liver labs, positive/reactive for hepatitis B (after several labs, it was confirmed that it was negative), insomnia, total fatigue, etc. And the list continues, again this all happened within (3) weeks. After (2) rounds of antibiotics (PSA dropped down to 2.5), x-rays, cat scans, bladder/kidney tests confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my prostate, kidney or liver. Even after my experience I'm happy so many of you have wonderful results! Good luck to all.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2014 11:14 AM

Review by itlpsychogrl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take 150mg at night. It makes me drowsy, along with a 0.5mg alprazolam I can finally get at least 5-6 hours of sleep at night. I did not know how ill my disorder was making me until I was on this medication and the prescriber that I was seeing let me lapse because I missed my appointment for a refill. Within a couple weeks, I wanted to put my jacket on and run away, thought about running into traffic, real manic, racing thoughts while feeling depressed. I never knew how sick I was for all of those years until I was on the Trileptal and felt what "healthy" was like. Thankfully, found a new doctor and back on it and do not plan on stopping, ever!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Randi-B34 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Seizures: I'm 33 year old female and was diagnosed with seizures at 31. They came out of no where. Had MRI and a eeg no signs of anything they were normal. With not be able to find what type of seizures they are its hard to find help from anywhere. I tried this medication trileptal and it is a nitemare for me. I started with 2 tablets a day along with keppra that I was already on. They may not work well together. But I've been in trileptal for 1 month now and since the seizures has picked up which I didn't like that at all. I called the doctor which is surpose to be a seizure specialist and she said to up the medication And that's when I noticed they were coming more than they normally do and I noticed up set stomach. No success with it at all!

October 28, 2013 9:03 AM

Review by bsh85:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was on Topamax and my Dr. added 300 mg Trileptal twice a day to deal with anxiety issues caused by Topamax. I have experienced no weight gain and few side effects. There was an initial feeling of "contentment" whenever I took it, but this wore off after a couple weeks. Since adding Trileptal to the repertoire I've experience no manic symptoms but blessed, normal emotions. It's like the anxiety was cut away and a real human being was exposed underneath. The emotions are loud and clear but they aren't overpowering. No cycling. I'd say this was a real plus.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2013 9:16 PM

Review by JessMess:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have MS and experienced a severe relapse and spent a week in the hospital with chronic face pain. After determining it was Trigeminal neuralgia, my neurologist and I spent several weeks trying numerous treatments. Trileptal was the only one that gave me not only immediate relief, but I haven't had any face pain for months now!

August 6, 2013 2:04 PM

Review by junelynn63 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Tried Tegretol to no avail. Trileptel is great for me.

June 15, 2013 8:24 AM

Review by Ewokbaby:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have just begun Trileptal as a treatment for Bipolar I. I was previously on Seroquel 150 and was unable to function at all within 45 minutes of taking it. I experience rapid cycling and more manic episodes than depressive ones and so the Seroquel helped me sleep. However, I noticed weight gain almost immediately and immense hunger-almost ravenous. When it would wear off I was extremely hostile and agitated. The side effects seemed to outweigh the benefits. So far Trileptal has left me with no side effects except for a slight headache and I have smoothly transitioned out of my manic episode. I feel like I may need a sleep aid however- still experiencing a bit of insomnia. I can only hope the success continues!

June 5, 2013 9:34 PM

Review by orkie:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have had Trigeminal Neuralgia for 20 yrs. There has been only one Dr. that hit it on the nose. Trileptal great medicine.

March 12, 2013 11:50 PM

Review by Ncderw (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I am diagnosed with Bipolar, still unsure if my type is 1 or 2 because I experienced good several bout of signification impairment of function depressions and frequent severe hypomanics or mild manics. Mixed episodes are my main presentation of bipolar disorder. I tried Lamotrigine and many antidepressants, all they did was fueled my mild delusional manics and another times was mixed. I was on carbamazepine and lithium, it was good but I developed allergic reaction to carbamazepine and fueled a month and half long of constant hypomania mood and doctor put me on Trileptal. For the first time I am able to feel content without any explanation. It is a great medicine, you don't feel side effect and being content, that's a dream to me.

February 19, 2013 2:28 PM

Review by ASJ:

For Seizures: My son of 7 has been on Trileptal for 2 weeks. Immediately the most evident side effect was solemness. A week into therapy he was playing outside and complained of dizziness, weakness and pain all over. Thanks to literature at Novartis site is very comprehensive so I found out about Hyponatremia (sodium level becoming very low). A few drops of concentrated table salt solution in both ears immediately took care of the problem. As for seizures, he hadn't had any. But then, we only found out about his rare nocturnal seizures by coincidence. He did have night terrors twice a month before. We haven't had any of those yet.

January 10, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: It worked very good; however it lowered my blood sodium which can be dangerous so I had to stop taking it.

August 18, 2012 3:25 AM

Review by mtnclimber10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: Stopped the incapacitating seizures. Side effects are bothersome but not as awful as the seizures: Sugar-sweet taste of all food, fatigue, occasional nausea, memory issues, sight issues, balance problems.

August 7, 2012 4:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine is wonderful. Only have problems when I can't afford to pay for it. Seems to take the edge off whenever I need it the most.

July 15, 2012 11:11 AM

Review by SantaFeJack (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I'm sixty-eight years old and have dealt with anxiety/depression my whole life. There were some medicines over the years that helped, but for one reason or another, I had to stop taking them. But five years ago (July 17,2007) I had an acute neurological episode that awoke me from sleep straight into a Carnival Midway atmosphere. Very disturbing, and my sleep was never restful from that day forward. Four different polysomnograms verified I was getting less than a third of normal REM sleep. Six months ago I discovered Ambien and was quite pleased, but I was recently to see a pain management doctor who understands the value of good sleep in dealing with chronic pain; his preference is Trileptal so I went on it. Never felt this relaxed and normal.

July 3, 2012 12:37 AM

Review by Xboater (taken for 10 years or more):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have been taking 1200mg daily for a number of years and there are times when I'm pain free and times when I'm not pain free. Interestingly enough the pain is usually worse in the morning, and if I ignore it as best I can, it subsides. But it often comes back later in the day and around bedtime.

May 29, 2012 10:54 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Trileptal changed my life. After anti-psychotics not being a good add on to my Lithium and Lamitcal because of heavy non-functional side effects/not tolerated. I searched so long and hard for something that might be able to help stabilize my mood (mostly mania). I have been taking Tripetal at a low dose of 600mg per day for 3 weeks, in addition to my current medication, and just in the first week my mood evened out, I felt normal or whatever normal probably feels like. I am now able to go into therapy and tackle some of my addiction/impulsive behavior that I did not have the capacity to do before when I was not in my right mind. I am so grateful for this medicine for my Bipolar disorder.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2012 11:32 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm going into my second month using Trileptal and started at 600 mg a day. My Dr just upped it to 900mg because it wasn't stabilizing my moods as much as I would like. I also take Klonopin for anxiety and the Trileptal for my bipolar. So far, no side effects like the Topamax with tingling but I'm hoping it starts working better. My Dr wants to throw in an antidepressant along with something for ADHD but wants to wait till this kicks in.

April 23, 2012 11:41 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication was extremely effective at stabilizing my moods. The problems that I had made it so that I could not continue on it and therefore needed to rate it so low (because of the severe side effects). First off, I literally saw double for several hours after taking it. Do you remember the Wrigley's double mint gum commercials? Well literally that's what I experienced. It DID go away after several hours afterward but was really weird and gave me a headache when it happened every morning. My skin, especially my lips, would get numb and tingly. The biggest problem though was that it gave me constipation so bad that nothing I ate or took could alleviate it. The ONLY way I could EVER go is if I took a heavy (not mild) laxative.

February 28, 2012 9:41 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Trileptal over 2 years ago and had horrible side effects. Started at 1500mg with no change in mood and with no side effects. Raised it to 2400 Mg (Max dosage) and was in a constant drunk/high haze all day. 20 minutes after taking it I couldn't walk in a straight line. My parents would spend an hour some mornings trying to get me to wake up. My managers wouldn't let me work cause it was too noticeable I was "high". Trileptal seems to help a lot of people so this isn't to discourage people for taking it.

January 30, 2012 7:30 PM

Review by dnb367:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine was working well until the third week when I broke out in a rash around the upper arms, ankles and upper thighs.

November 15, 2011 3:13 PM

Review by MirandaPanda:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Trileptal for bipolar disorder for years. I switched from Depakote as it made my hair fall out and I hated the monthly blood tests. I take a large dose of Trileptal, 2100mg/day and shortly after taking it I may have some short-lived side effects (tingling in my face, mild double vision and sleepiness) for about a 1/2 hour. My doctor says I might avoid these if I'd split it into morning and evening doses but I have no doubt I'd forget the morning dose regularly. Trileptal has been very good to me! I still take a low dose birth control (Norethindrone 0.35mg/day) to help with "monthly" ups and downs and we've added Lamictal for it's antidepressant effects (I found out anti-depressants may increase cycling). I've never felt this "Normal" before!

October 31, 2011 10:42 AM

Review by Jimbo59:

For Seizures: I was having seizures off and on for almost 4 yrs. Diagnosing this was difficult because I could never had a witness or could describe the symptoms. I was averaging 1 per month then I got worse. I had 4 in two weeks but all of them had witnesses. I called my doctor and he ran heart tests and an MRI on my head. That's when he said I had Partial Epilepsy and gave me the Trileptal. I've been taking it for 6 weeks and haven't had any problems since then. I like this pill very much and the best part is its only $4 a month.

October 17, 2011 4:21 PM

Review by Mike Temple:

For Seizures: Very effective to me. Considering, greatly suppressed seizure frequency and low interference from side effects.

October 6, 2011 12:23 AM

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: Well, the pain on the nerve goes away pretty quickly after taking 150 mg of Trileptal, which I just started taking this year, because when I was told that I had trigeminal neuralgia last year, I didn't find out until the pain was almost over, but the medicine only lasts about 4 hours or so. At first, I got a headache, which didn't last too long, so I didn't take anything for the headache. What concerns me the most is that lately I have been getting pain on my ankles the next day after doing a 45 min kickboxing work-out and it's not going away, which I never had before. Today for the first time in my life I had a terrible pain on my pelvis that I couldn't hardly walk . Hopefully the pain goes away soon, and I won't have to take anything, 'until next year'!

October 5, 2011 10:38 PM