User Reviews for Trileptal

Learn more about Trileptal.

Trileptal review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Trileptal to treat Seizures

Review by Joçao Humberto Silva (taken for 10 years or more):

Due to possible heart failure about 15 years ago I started having partial seizures waking up in airplanes or hotels not knowing were I was for some time and than gradually became alert until I started with many severe seizures. I started with Tegretol and then switched with Trileptal that was very effective. Forgot to take it a few times and had seizures until I became very conscious of the need and since then I am quite well. I need to stay far from confrontations and conflicts. I currently take 1,500 MG daily (600 morning, 300 dinner 600 @ sleep). My sodium level suffered a lot but I am good on it now. The way to balance it is with coconut water, sports drink and adding a bit more on home cooking. It is a super medicine. I miss my red wine!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 7:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

I have spacial seizures. I take 1200 mg per day. It has been 100% effective for the last two years. I had about six months of problems after I began taking Lipitor, but none since I was taken off the Lipitor. I'm a 67 year old male who has had seizures for over 30 years. It has been as effective as Tegretol was until it stopped working after 14 years. I had a short bout with low sodium after open heart surgery.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by Randi-B34 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm 33 year old female and was diagnosed with seizures at 31. They came out of no where. Had MRI and a eeg no signs of anything they were normal. With not be able to find what type of seizures they are its hard to find help from anywhere. I tried this medication trileptal and it is a nitemare for me. I started with 2 tablets a day along with keppra that I was already on. They may not work well together. But I've been in trileptal for 1 month now and since the seizures has picked up which I didn't like that at all. I called the doctor which is surpose to be a seizure specialist and she said to up the medication And that's when I noticed they were coming more than they normally do and I noticed up set stomach. No success with it at all!

October 28, 2013 9:03 AM

Review by ASJ:

My son of 7 has been on Trileptal for 2 weeks. Immediately the most evident side effect was solemness. A week into therapy he was playing outside and complained of dizziness, weakness and pain all over. Thanks to literature at Novartis site is very comprehensive so I found out about Hyponatremia (sodium level becoming very low). A few drops of concentrated table salt solution in both ears immediately took care of the problem. As for seizures, he hadn't had any. But then, we only found out about his rare nocturnal seizures by coincidence. He did have night terrors twice a month before. We haven't had any of those yet.

January 10, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by Jimbo59:

I was having seizures off and on for almost 4 yrs. Diagnosing this was difficult because I could never had a witness or could describe the symptoms. I was averaging 1 per month then I got worse. I had 4 in two weeks but all of them had witnesses. I called my doctor and he ran heart tests and an MRI on my head. That's when he said I had Partial Epilepsy and gave me the Trileptal. I've been taking it for 6 weeks and haven't had any problems since then. I like this pill very much and the best part is its only $4 a month.

October 17, 2011 4:21 PM

Review by Mike Temple:

Very effective to me. Considering, greatly suppressed seizure frequency and low interference from side effects.

October 6, 2011 12:23 AM

My daughter has been on Trileptal for 2yrs. now and she did have a small seizure during the first 4 months but after increasing the dose to 5ml twice a day she has had nothing but a few migraines since. In another month or two we are planning on slowly taking her off. So I will find out soon exactly how well it has been working.

February 24, 2011 11:01 PM

My son has been taking this medication for about 2 months now. Before he got on the medicine he was really mean and talked back. I found that he was not happy, crying all the time for now reason at all. He would have a seizure and about 10 times a day. It got where it was really hard. I finally got him to see a great doctor. She put him on this medicine and there hasn't been a seizure yet and he is playing laughing and having fun again. I really thank who ever came out with this medicine.

January 13, 2011 12:43 PM

Review by Sarita Rani:

Been taking Trileptal for about a year. Mostly because every 5 to 6 years have to change my medicine because I tend to get immune to them. Have taken Sodium Valproate, Tegretol and Carbamazepine over the last 30 years. With Oxcarb seizures are controlled but not totally gone. Also, am putting on extraordinary amount of weight, looking for other options for what is becoming an obesity problem.

November 6, 2010 2:38 AM

Review by Elve:

I have been taking Trileptal for almost 1 month now and its such a life saver. I have been suffering from partial epilepsy for more then a year since I have been going to the hospital for almost 5/6 months and they could not discover what the problem was so I had to see a private doctor who diagnosed me with partial epilepsy and put me on Trileptal. As soon as I took these tablets it reduced the attacks to 1 every two days and after a month it completely got rid of it, so I am really happy with these. However, I do feel slightly drowsy after taking them but that does not matter since its taken all the seizures away which was my main concern since life just felt like hell prior to these. So I would definitely recommend it.

January 5, 2010 3:41 PM

I have taken it a long while and it seems to be working. I have less seizures.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 11, 2009 6:13 PM

After using for 8 months, I developed an itching rash. I could not stop itching and the rash got red and covered my torso, arms and legs.

March 13, 2009 11:38 AM

I have taken the drug for about 6 years with positive results for seizures. The seizures have subsided to about 1-2 partial complex seizures per month. I do go through periods of depression, especially when the prescibed amount is changed. I'm currently taking 1200 mg in the AM and 1500 mg PM. It's probably the best seizure medication I've taken to date, and I've been on almost all of them at some point in my life over the past 30 years or so.

September 5, 2008 5:38 PM