User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Borderline Personality Disorder 0 reviews 6 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Zyprexa reviews 127 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Zyprexa

Review by Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I don't have as many crying spells as I used to.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2015 6:26 AM

Review by Gregg1:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Zyprexa for 14 years, my new doctor took me off in October and I was a mess in Dec. Now Feb back on for a month and I feel better. Doc is worried about long time effects, she wants to try quitting again in 6 months. I don't know but I'm stable on Zyprexa. I'm fine and mess without it. I'm Bi-polar.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2015 11:59 AM

Review by Jaded1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine works really well as a mood stabilizer for me. The only MAJOR drawback is weight gain. I just can't control myself when the carb cravings happen. I am usually very much in control of my dietary habits, but on Zyprexa that just isn't possible. I also suffer from schizoaffective disorder and hear voices. Although Zyprexa suppresses them, it does not completely get rid of them in my case; they are quiet enough to tolerate though. I have gained 35 pounds in less than about a month and a half. I am going to wean off of these and ask the psych-doc for something else.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 11:02 PM

Review by Sugaray0212:

For Insomnia: I went to a psychiatrist for sleep meds and was prescribed 5 mg. Zyprexa. It helped me sleep but as soon as I stopped taking the medicine after two weeks, I experienced severe insomnia, sweating, palpitation, agitation depression and agitation. I had to be put back on it to to stabilize. I am now taking 7.5 mg. I don't like the effect on me and I will try to taper off of this medicine. I wish I had known about the side effects and widthrawal symptoms of this medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by lovemylifeforever:

For Depression: Had a few psychotic episode few years ago, was hospitalized and was put on Zyprexa and a few other meds. I was diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder), major depression and fibromyalgia. I felt hungry all the time and gained 70lbs, my dose was 20mg a day plus I was on other meds, finally was weaned off all other meds as the months went by. I cannot say my hunger and weight gain was completely due to Zyprexa but I do know that I now take only 5mg a day, at night, sleep well, hunger is normal and I have lost weight with good healthy choices and exercise. I no longer have depression and life has never been better. Zyprexa, therapy, exercise, support and nutrition has saved my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: This medicine is the best sleep aid I have found. I tried Ambien and it made me crazy. I can sleep with Zyprexa and wake up the next morning with no side effects. I just have to make sure I take it early in the evening. If I take it too late, it will make me groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the reports I have heard, it doesn't effect my weight at all.

December 10, 2014 2:47 PM

Review by Corksters (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Zyprexa- It is not a sedating medicine at all. It does nothing for anxiety and paranoia. It is extremely effective for panic and depression problems though. That's the only thing I commend this medicine for. The weight gain for this medicine is worse than any other psychiatric medicine. It to me, feels like an acute medicine for panic attacks but that's all I would say it's beneficial towards. The trick to this medicine is it is not sedating, but it stops the central nervous system from freaking out, but you don't actually feel sedated or calmer from it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2014 6:33 PM

Review by Beans99:

For Depression: Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by JAM87:

For Bipolar Disorder: Had a break down at age 15 and eventually got on Zyprexa. Like everybody else said I gained about 30-40 pounds, could be very sleepy sometimes, but it completely stopped the voices I was hearing for the past 8 months. It gave me my life back. Just kinda woke up feeling normal after being on the medicine for a few days. It was amazing. Was on 10mg at the highest and worked all the way down to 2.5mg over the next year. Had a prayer service at my church (Doctor was ok with us taking a trial run off medicines since I had been doing well on a low dose for the past few months) and now have been off meds and completely fine for over 10 years now. Very thankful.

October 21, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by Rivvi98 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: Kept my schizophrenia in check but way too sedating. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months, hard to wake up in morning, going to try something else.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by June6743:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: It made my delusions disappear but made me gain weight and I still experience some paranoia, though I'm on 5mg once a day which is a low dosage (won't increase it since I don't want to gain more weight)

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Made me really psychotic.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by danand2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I would give Zyprexa a 10 rating except for the weight gain. I have bipolar 1 and have a lot more mania than depression. I have psychotic symptoms also and racing thoughts a lot. It did make me very tired the first couple of weeks but then it worked perfect except for the weight gain so I am not on it anymore.

March 8, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by jigsrybv:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar 1 disorder. Started with 5mg Zyprexa, now am on 7.5mg at night. I find it really helps me with my moods. Some of the side effects for me are swollen ankles, weight gain and sedative effect throughout the day.

December 12, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: This drug did its job. It stopped any mood swings for the most part, but the biggest downside was that I bloated up and slept heavily. I put on maybe, 10-20kgs whilst on this drug (I was on it for 2 years). Effective nontheless.

November 2, 2013 7:38 AM

Review by Renay224:

For Depression: I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it.

October 22, 2013 6:55 PM

Review by krystle24:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on 5mg tablet for almost 2 yrs. I started off on one tab a night then cut my dose down to half tab, currently taking 1/4 tab during the day because I always miss my alarm if I take it at night. I over sleep way to much, always tired, brain feels foggy. I've gained 30 pounds and its getting harder to take it off. I'm always hungry and always thirsty. It helps with behaviors. I still flip out but way less often.

September 25, 2013 8:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I used Zyprexa (2.5mg) at night for insomnia caused by anxiety and obsessive thoughts. It is the only thing that helped me sleep that is not addictive and actually worked. It also helped my appetite because when I don't sleep well I don't feel like eating much either. This medication helped with that also. Unfortunately I cannot use it often because it causes my blood sugar to shoot up sky high and I don't like the risk of tardive dyskinesia. I only take a very small dose when I haven't slept in awhile.

September 17, 2013 5:10 AM

Review by Darrend1:

For Depression: I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by Kasey1994:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am a 19 yo girl and I have bipolar disorder 2 and suffer anxiety and depression, so my doctor prescribed 10mg Zyprexa daily. I had HORRIBLE side effects. In four months I gained 20kg, developed cystic acne and my thinking was slow and foggy. Any self confidence I had or pride in my appearance evaporated completely. The worst part is I still had the anxiety and the depression (although I didn't expect an antipsychotic to help with depression). I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore. Zyprexa was definitely not for me.

August 13, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by ms pimpin thang (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have literally been on every medication you can think of. Prozac, Zoloft, Geodon, Haldol, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Xanax, clonazepam and the list doesn't stop but Zyprexa did it! None of them seemed to help until I tried Zyprexa! I do not have to take anxiety medicines anymore because somehow Zyprexa took care of that also and my anxiety used to be so bad.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2013 5:01 PM

Review by Katzendame:

For Bipolar Disorder: It's great for anxiety and moods. It's helped a lot. Only bad thing is weight gain. I have gone up 2 dress sizes, craving a lot of junk food as well.

June 7, 2013 3:42 AM

Review by kestrel28 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I started taking Zyprexa over two years ago for intrusive thoughts I was having as a result of Obsessive compulsive disorder/depression. While the Zyprexa helped remove intrusive thinking, it added about thirty pounds onto my slender frame, made me severely tired, and took away my sex drive. In addition to these adverse effects, I was unmotivated/uninterested in many activities that used to give me pleasure. I had a "so what" attitude about life in general. All because of this medicine. What really frightened me about taking this was my cholesterol went sky high, and my blood sugar was also very high, making me an at risk candidate for diabetes. I am finally off of this.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2013 5:27 AM

Review by Crawling (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I loved this medicine, it stabilized me, helped me sleep without being too drowsy but sadly I have had to be moved off because I gained 4 stone. But that is the only side effect I had.

April 5, 2013 4:00 AM