User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Borderline Personality Disorder 0 reviews 6 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Zyprexa reviews 137 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Zyprexa

Review by Steve Stevenson (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: For the amount of calmness I got from this drug, I was still physically alert and able. That's more than can say for most antipsychotics. It helped me sleep, and the following day my anxieties were lessened. I also found weird glimmers of hope in things, that had to be my depression lifting. It's a miracle to me. However, I gained 20 pounds in one month, and the doctor saw that as a reason to get me off the drug. Food had this crazy magnetism about it; it quickly became the most valuable thing on the planet, and I was having cravings for food unlike anything I've ever craved. If you can take the drug without binge eating, congratulations, because it works. Still, most people on this are overweight.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2015 1:28 AM

Review by chocobo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I've been on zyprexa since 2006. Although it causes weight gain, I've decided to weight train or do cardio for an hour every day, which is helping. The weight can continue, but from my experience, it was only when I was inactive. I also feel a little sedated but that doesn't keep me from doing things. The hallucinations are about 90% gone. Overall, zyprexa works for me as it's one of the two drugs that worked because most of the other drugs I tried were not effective, reacted with my skin, or did nothing.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2015 5:08 AM

Review by JimB56985 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Paranoid Disorder: Helped in the beginning of the first few weeks,but later my mood became more paranoid. I'm not saying this medicine will make you paranoid, but it doesn't work for me. Plus it does make you gain weight like 40lbs. in 8 weeks.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2015 9:17 PM

Review by ClarkGabel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Paranoid Disorder: It was OK. I gained alot of weight on it. I went from 210 to 255pounds in four months. Didn't help my suspicious behavior. I think Seroquel XR was a better drug for me, but I had to take a very high dose of Seroquel XR. I'm considering asking the doctor to put me on an old psychotic med like Prolixin. I have had some good results but I stopped the meds early because I was afraid of all the side effects especially tardia dys.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 9:53 PM

Review by nicsnice33 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: This medicine is a God send. I've tried every sleeping pill in the book (Ambien, Trazodone, Seroquel, Elavil, ETC.) None of them would keep me asleep the whole night. 10mg of this and I sleep like a baby and don't have the racing thoughts. Only problem is it's real hard to get out of bed and get moving.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2015 10:48 AM

Review by LocaWhetta:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed as bipolar in 1987.I've always been treatment resistant. Nothing and I mean no meds have ever helped me before.I've tried everything over the years only to have bad side effects and no relief. ECT was actually being recommended to me then my Dr put me on a Zyprexa/ Prozac combination and for the first time in my life I've gotten relief from my symptoms and no side effects. I can finally think clearly. I feel like a totally new person a much better one.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2015 9:03 AM

Review by TheGoodWife42:

For Depression: I am in shock as to the MIRACLE of Olanzipine. A 2 year severe depression, with extreme anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia DISAPEARED the first week on this medicine. Before, my depression was so bad, I stopped brushing my hair, I could barely function, my sadness so profound. After 1 week on Zyprexa, I am finally back to myself, taking good care of myself, sadness is 90% gone, smiling again!

March 22, 2015 8:20 PM

Review by Mecrazy:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I gained 100 lbs but slept well and felt mentally ok

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 8:09 PM

Review by bipolar12345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Zyprexa is the only antipsychotic that doesn’t make me feel like a zombie! I kept my personality and my energy. It almost feels like I don’t take an antipsychotic. I take 7.5 mg, because my psychiatrist told me that when you take less then 10 mg daily, the risk of metabolic syndrome is low. It’s very good for treating mania and it augments the effect of my antidepressant. The only downside is that it’s a little bit difficult to wake up.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2015 1:14 PM

Review by bluemoose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: The olanzapine works for me. I sleep at night and my thoughts rarely race now. And it is so wonderful not to feel depressed. If it wasn't for the weight gain, I would give it a ten.

March 1, 2015 6:13 PM

Review by Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I don't have as many crying spells as I used to.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2015 6:26 AM

Review by Gregg1:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Zyprexa for 14 years, my new doctor took me off in October and I was a mess in Dec. Now Feb back on for a month and I feel better. Doc is worried about long time effects, she wants to try quitting again in 6 months. I don't know but I'm stable on Zyprexa. I'm fine and mess without it. I'm Bi-polar.

February 4, 2015 11:59 AM

Review by Jaded1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine works really well as a mood stabilizer for me. The only MAJOR drawback is weight gain. I just can't control myself when the carb cravings happen. I am usually very much in control of my dietary habits, but on Zyprexa that just isn't possible. I also suffer from schizoaffective disorder and hear voices. Although Zyprexa suppresses them, it does not completely get rid of them in my case; they are quiet enough to tolerate though. I have gained 35 pounds in less than about a month and a half. I am going to wean off of these and ask the psych-doc for something else.

December 26, 2014 11:02 PM

Review by Sugaray0212:

For Insomnia: I went to a psychiatrist for sleep meds and was prescribed 5 mg. Zyprexa. It helped me sleep but as soon as I stopped taking the medicine after two weeks, I experienced severe insomnia, sweating, palpitation, agitation depression and agitation. I had to be put back on it to to stabilize. I am now taking 7.5 mg. I don't like the effect on me and I will try to taper off of this medicine. I wish I had known about the side effects and widthrawal symptoms of this medicine.

December 25, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by lovemylifeforever:

For Depression: Had a few psychotic episode few years ago, was hospitalized and was put on Zyprexa and a few other meds. I was diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder), major depression and fibromyalgia. I felt hungry all the time and gained 70lbs, my dose was 20mg a day plus I was on other meds, finally was weaned off all other meds as the months went by. I cannot say my hunger and weight gain was completely due to Zyprexa but I do know that I now take only 5mg a day, at night, sleep well, hunger is normal and I have lost weight with good healthy choices and exercise. I no longer have depression and life has never been better. Zyprexa, therapy, exercise, support and nutrition has saved my life.

December 13, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: This medicine is the best sleep aid I have found. I tried Ambien and it made me crazy. I can sleep with Zyprexa and wake up the next morning with no side effects. I just have to make sure I take it early in the evening. If I take it too late, it will make me groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the reports I have heard, it doesn't effect my weight at all.

December 10, 2014 2:47 PM

Review by Corksters (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Zyprexa- It is not a sedating medicine at all. It does nothing for anxiety and paranoia. It is extremely effective for panic and depression problems though. That's the only thing I commend this medicine for. The weight gain for this medicine is worse than any other psychiatric medicine. It to me, feels like an acute medicine for panic attacks but that's all I would say it's beneficial towards. The trick to this medicine is it is not sedating, but it stops the central nervous system from freaking out, but you don't actually feel sedated or calmer from it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2014 6:33 PM

Review by Beans99:

For Depression: Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides.

November 17, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by JAM87:

For Bipolar Disorder: Had a break down at age 15 and eventually got on Zyprexa. Like everybody else said I gained about 30-40 pounds, could be very sleepy sometimes, but it completely stopped the voices I was hearing for the past 8 months. It gave me my life back. Just kinda woke up feeling normal after being on the medicine for a few days. It was amazing. Was on 10mg at the highest and worked all the way down to 2.5mg over the next year. Had a prayer service at my church (Doctor was ok with us taking a trial run off medicines since I had been doing well on a low dose for the past few months) and now have been off meds and completely fine for over 10 years now. Very thankful.

October 21, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by Rivvi98 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: Kept my schizophrenia in check but way too sedating. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months, hard to wake up in morning, going to try something else.

October 14, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by June6743:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: It made my delusions disappear but made me gain weight and I still experience some paranoia, though I'm on 5mg once a day which is a low dosage (won't increase it since I don't want to gain more weight)

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Made me really psychotic.

August 20, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by danand2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I would give Zyprexa a 10 rating except for the weight gain. I have bipolar 1 and have a lot more mania than depression. I have psychotic symptoms also and racing thoughts a lot. It did make me very tired the first couple of weeks but then it worked perfect except for the weight gain so I am not on it anymore.

March 8, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by jigsrybv:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar 1 disorder. Started with 5mg Zyprexa, now am on 7.5mg at night. I find it really helps me with my moods. Some of the side effects for me are swollen ankles, weight gain and sedative effect throughout the day.

December 12, 2013 10:48 PM