User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Major Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 44 medications

Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tourette's Syndrome 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Zyprexa reviews 134 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Zyprexa

For Schizophrenia: I am currently on Zyprexa and I have been using it for a year. My life completely changed. I have less fear and I am more relaxed. The only thing though is I experienced fatigue whenever I woke up. But so far, the results were great! My doctor did a good job!

August 7, 2011 2:14 PM

Review by migs1704:

For Paranoid Disorder: In just six weeks Zyprexa has me balanced. My mood swings are virtually non existent and I can do the things that I enjoy and thoughts were gone forever.

April 19, 2011 11:31 PM

For Depression: A two-year depression vanished in just 24 hours.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2011 7:28 PM

Review by BorisIII:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I often wonder if it was a miracle that Zyprexa made my voices go away. Plus I know that when stressed I have a hard time sleeping but I will sleep 1 hour after taking the pill. I've had about everything in 22 years, and if the weight doesn't get you its a great medication if it works. Maybe they will find one that works for every psychotic with this break through.

April 12, 2011 10:31 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Zyprexa was prescribed to me in my early 20s after a manic episode. I took it for a year and was a complete zombie. I remember noting from that period apart from sleeping all day and raiding the cupboard at night. I gained 30% of my body weight or 6Olbs and it took me two years to lose it.

March 17, 2011 9:31 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Zyprexa for 6months now and it has calmed me down quite a bit. I have no more racing thoughts. I don't hear voices or see things anymore. The only down fall to this medicine is the weight gain. I would highly recommend it though.

March 15, 2011 10:54 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I just started this medication over two weeks ago and am already seeing massive improvement. No more mania, very little depression. I have focus and energy, my mood is great most days. It even helped with irritable bowel syndrome. For the first few days I felt like a zombie, but that side effect has gone. I still have a massive temptation to eat everything in the house, but I am controlling it and changing my diet to minimize weight gain. This medicine was a minor miracle to me. I've never felt so good in all my life.

March 14, 2011 11:12 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I am 27 and have been dealing with manic depression for most of my life.I take Lamictal 250mg, and Wellbutrin 300mg. I was very recently put on Zyprexa for the first time after a suicide attempt and hospitalization. I was VERY reluctant to try it because I've read all the side effects. I tried it (2.5mg). I have to admit it changed my life after ONE (low) dose! It was like I went to bed hanging on by a thread and woke up with all my strings attached. I saw quick results. No waiting for a month to see if it will work. Since I have only been taking this medicine for a week, I haven't had any side effects yet. So far, it has really, really been a miracle. Mood stability has always been a really huge issue for me and this has taken care of it.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2011 11:17 PM

Review by Mel S:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Zyprexa 10mg/day for about 10 years. When I first started taking it in place of Risperdal I felt out of sorts for a few weeks. My doctor said that I was adjusting to it and that I needed to wait it out. So I waited and I did adjust. I gained weight on the medicine, which I have since lost. My psychiatrist orders blood work once a year to check my cholesterol and he says that everything is fine. I don't like that I need a lot of rest but that is preferable over manic insomnia. I thought that if I stopped taking it then I could lose more weight but I know that I need to manage my illness. I'd rather be plump and pleasant than skinny and crazy. I just have to diet and exercise. The world accepts plump better than it accepts crazy.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2011 12:40 AM

Review by cheersrichard:

For Depression: Found this medication very effective in my withdrawals from both alcohol and weed. It stops my racing thoughts and keeps me calm. However it does somewhat make you zombie like and unable to feel emotions.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2011 9:52 PM

For Depression: I took Klonopin and Paxil for 15 years to treat my anxiety disorder. I had to detox from the Klonopin this past spring. I got off the Klonopin and switched my Paxil to Lexapro (sex side effect issue). I am also a recovering alcoholic. My doctor did not want me on Benzo's anymore (says it increased alcohol cravings). I stayed on Lexapro only for 9 months, but my anxiety came back strong on just the Lexapro alone. I almost resorted to taking Xanax before I switched doctors. My new doc gave Zyprexa a chance. I am on my 7th day and I haven't felt this "normal" in 5 years. I take 5mgs at night and it has ended the "chatter" in my head, and removed my anxiety. Great medicine so far.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2011 6:24 PM

Review by aimeekj1:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Zyprexa for over a month and feel wonderful. It has helped my depression, sleep and paranoia. The only thing I hate is the weight gain. I have gained 20-30 pounds already and is a huge battle. Already was 160 after having first child. Definitely would recommend though.

January 13, 2011 4:37 PM

Review by tdholste:

For Depression: This medication works very well for me. I take it with Pristiq and it is a very good combination. Haven't felt this good for a year.

November 1, 2010 8:45 PM

Review by Mom in trouble:

For Depression: My doctor started me on 5mg of Zyprexa and the first 2 days I slept over 14 hours falling asleep within 20 mins of taking it. By day three I couldn't sleep at all and went on for days making me feel out of control, confused, forgetful, pretty much out of it and unable to even have my daughter home with me. I was also very bloated, feeling and looking. On the start of the 7th pill/day I began swelling to the point of GOUT, had breathing problems, dry mouth, was oddly emotional/ crying a lot, and hurting badly due to the MASSIVE swelling and couldn't put on any of my pants. I quit taking the medicine but the next night it all got worse with the addition of tightening in my chest. I am now having skin irritations on my hands. This medicine is bad news.

October 28, 2010 5:36 AM

Review by taylorr:

For Bipolar Disorder: I take Lamictal 300 mg, Ambien 10 mg and Zyprexa 7.5 mg daily. Until the Zyprexa was added I still experienced bipolar breakthroughs, insomnia, and extreme anxiety and OCD on a daily basis, which exhausted me. So far Zyprexa manages my symptoms, although I haven't been on it very long. I also have food cravings, however no significant side effects. I'm very sensitive to medications, can only take very small doses. What works for me might be too little to help others. My doctor was very surprised to find out that a mere 15 mg Zyprexa for emergency breakthroughs would work for me. Now I don't need to carry Zyprexa with me everywhere, because the nightly dose of 7.5 mg is enough.

September 7, 2010 6:34 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Zyprexa for over 10 years, it has helped my illness greatly. But I have had weight gain. Still battling cravings, also caused diabetes.

August 28, 2010 12:07 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Been on Zyprexa 7.5 due to bipolar for about 8 months or so. It takes the edge off my anxiety and makes me calmer. I get very sleepy about 3 hours after taking it, so now I take it at about 7pm. Without it I had trouble sleeping as my mind would race and not shut up at night. Don't really know if it has affected my appetite or weight, if so just a little. A couple of times I thought that I felt so good that I didn't need to take it anymore so stopped taking it. And within a week or so the bad feelings would come back. Looks like I might be on it for the long term.

August 24, 2010 1:06 AM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: This medicine made me gain about 15-20 lbs when I was staying at the hospital when I was 13. I'm now 22. I started taking Geodon a few weeks ago and I'm feeling much better. No more paranoia in the night at all anymore. No thoughts that there's a serial killer watching me or a serial killer in a room in my house or on a chair in the room I'm in. I'm on Risperdal, I'm trying to get off of it completely because it also made me gain a lot of weight also. I'm 166 right now and 5'8'. I used to always be slim and have no hunger. I'm also on Paxil which hasn't helped me with my depression at all, just a terrible medicine and I'm on Lamictal which has helped keep stable - I have the manic type.

August 2, 2010 3:58 PM

Review by mialee:

For Bipolar Disorder: I lost my appetite and yet gained between 7 to 10 pounds a week until my psychiatrist took me off of it 5 weeks later, stuck with the weight. Not only did it not improve my mood, my image depressed me even more.

July 29, 2010 2:31 PM

Review by MWH:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Zyprexa for over 2 months now. I take 7.5mg daily and also take Paxil and Ativan. All I can say is I'm much better than I was 2 months ago and have learned that I will have to be on medicines for the rest of my life. Small price to pay for piece of mind. I have gained 30lbs and need to exercise more to try and combat the weight gain. My doctor says we may go down in mgs here soon. But overall I have to say it helped pull me out of a major depression.

July 28, 2010 11:01 PM

Review by HarryQ:

For Depression: Calms me down and helps me sleep that's for sure. Weight gain needs to be controlled with exercise program I guess.

July 20, 2010 2:25 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked great but caused massive weight gain. Gained 30 pounds while taking medicine, even while and exercising/dieting.

July 19, 2010 2:18 AM

Review by edyth55:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed as Bipolar disorder at the age of 49. I was immediately put on Zyprexa and essentially, the next four years are a blur to me. To say I felt like a zombie is a gross understatement. I changed my Doctor and insisted he take me off the drug which he did. I am now taking 'plain old lithium' and have been doing well for the past five years. I understand that everyone doesn't have the same experience with Zyprexa that I had, but people should be aware that there are long-proven alternatives. I only wish that my Doctor had considered them first.

June 30, 2010 3:03 PM

Review by Glue:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Zyprexa for about 5 years. Started at 5 mg and am now at 2.5 or 1.25, depending on the day. This is for bipolar. I've tried to go off it (because I felt dulled and had a preoccupation with food) a few different times and had severe depression/anxiety symptoms recur. I also take Prozac (20mg) and Lamictal (100 mg). I don't think the Lamictal does anything but the Zyprexa seems to be the "glue" that keeps me together. Weight gain was an issue but have recently lost 20 lbs through diet and exercise (and reducing dose). I would rather not have to take it but it so greatly improves my quality of life that I feel I should stay on it.

June 10, 2010 9:58 PM

For Depression: I was constantly tired, spaced out and I couldn't eat enough. In 2 months I gained 20 pounds and slept an average of close to 14 hours a day.

May 5, 2010 6:47 PM