User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Borderline Personality Disorder 0 reviews 6 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Zyprexa reviews 115 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Zyprexa

Review by MWH:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Zyprexa for over 2 months now. I take 7.5mg daily and also take Paxil and Ativan. All I can say is I'm much better than I was 2 months ago and have learned that I will have to be on medicines for the rest of my life. Small price to pay for piece of mind. I have gained 30lbs and need to exercise more to try and combat the weight gain. My doctor says we may go down in mgs here soon. But overall I have to say it helped pull me out of a major depression.

July 28, 2010 11:01 PM

Review by HarryQ:

For Depression: Calms me down and helps me sleep that's for sure. Weight gain needs to be controlled with exercise program I guess.

July 20, 2010 2:25 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked great but caused massive weight gain. Gained 30 pounds while taking medicine, even while and exercising/dieting.

July 19, 2010 2:18 AM

Review by edyth55:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed as Bipolar disorder at the age of 49. I was immediately put on Zyprexa and essentially, the next four years are a blur to me. To say I felt like a zombie is a gross understatement. I changed my Doctor and insisted he take me off the drug which he did. I am now taking 'plain old lithium' and have been doing well for the past five years. I understand that everyone doesn't have the same experience with Zyprexa that I had, but people should be aware that there are long-proven alternatives. I only wish that my Doctor had considered them first.

June 30, 2010 3:03 PM

Review by Glue:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Zyprexa for about 5 years. Started at 5 mg and am now at 2.5 or 1.25, depending on the day. This is for bipolar. I've tried to go off it (because I felt dulled and had a preoccupation with food) a few different times and had severe depression/anxiety symptoms recur. I also take Prozac (20mg) and Lamictal (100 mg). I don't think the Lamictal does anything but the Zyprexa seems to be the "glue" that keeps me together. Weight gain was an issue but have recently lost 20 lbs through diet and exercise (and reducing dose). I would rather not have to take it but it so greatly improves my quality of life that I feel I should stay on it.

June 10, 2010 9:58 PM

For Depression: I was constantly tired, spaced out and I couldn't eat enough. In 2 months I gained 20 pounds and slept an average of close to 14 hours a day.

May 5, 2010 6:47 PM

Review by Dim:

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medication but put on 10kg in one month. You have to seriously discipline yourself otherwise you will almost certainly put on weight.

April 29, 2010 5:22 AM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Zyprexa got rid of all my symptoms- paranoia, hallucinations, delusions, depression, mania, catatonia. It worked so well I have gone off all my other medicines and I got off disability, finished school, and got a full time job. I have very few side effects- mostly I sleep a lot: 10-12 hours. But that is totally worth it to get rid of my symptoms! And I even lost weight!

April 17, 2010 10:46 PM

Review by struggling mom:

For Depression: Developed depression and significant anxiety this fall. Doctor started me on Lexapro, but that wasn't controlling the anxiety, loss of appetite and insomnia. Added Zyprexa and almost instantly felt much, much calmer, could eat and slept well. Was very sleepy/tired for the first few days but acclimated within a week. The problem I did have was with weight gain. Thought my life had calmed down and I could do without the medicines, but have found that not to be the case. Did not have any issues weaning off the Lexapro and Zyprexa. Just started Pristiq yesterday. Hoping and praying for good things.

April 16, 2010 6:31 PM

Review by pretty-good:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been diagnosed with bipolar for 15 years and for the first time experienced a mania state beyond anything I imagined or experienced before. I was suffering from severe paranoia and psychosomatic symptoms. Zyprexa is a God-send and I am happy with it. My major problem with it is the morning hangovers I feel. I have gained weight, but desperately needed to do so.

March 7, 2010 4:48 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was on 2.5 mg and it made me into a hungry zombie. All my emotions were flat, it made life completely unpleasant, everyday was a struggle to get through, and sex was completely numb. However, it was a very effective medication for bipolar one disorder, if it wasn't for the side effects I'd still be on it.

January 12, 2010 2:33 PM

Review by pvaughn239gmail.com:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: This medicine has been a wonder drug for my mother. She was having thoughts that people were being killed and people hated her. She was running off and we had to constantly keep an eye on her. We could not leave her alone for a second because we didn't know what thoughts were going through her mind or what she would do next. After a week of being on Zyprexa her life returned to normal. She has been on the medication for over a year and life is good and back to normal. She has gained 10 pounds the last year. So far this is the only side effect the medication has had on her. We can only hope the medication continues to work for years to come. This is our MIRACLE DRUG for right now. My mother is 86.

December 13, 2009 11:16 PM

For Depression: Always tired and felt lazy. Also gained 20lbs.

December 9, 2009 6:20 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Zypexa for almost 3 years now. It has been wonderful for me and my family. I had tried so many different medicines that I had given up. I now hardly have any mood swings and I can sleep at night. The down side is that I have gained a lot of weight, but to make me easy to live with for my family it's worth it!

December 9, 2009 2:46 PM

Review by dydibe:

For Depression: Made me sweat in bed while asleep to the point it looked like I had a high fever. Took for depression, made me agitated.

November 12, 2009 7:10 PM

Review by yhmya:

For Schizophrenia: This drug may be that comes from Heaven, but you must have insight in order to you may have no barrier to take this nearly perfect drug.

October 22, 2009 11:45 AM

For Depression: Zyprexa was prescribed to augment Prozac for my depression. It helped me somewhat and I would have stayed on it but it made me extremely tired.

October 8, 2009 6:08 PM

For Insomnia: I gained 10 pounds in 7 days on this.

September 24, 2009 2:09 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Zyprexa has changed my life. I can function better and I have better temperament. It is the best bipolar medicine out there.

September 22, 2009 2:06 PM

Review by Pillboxfox:

For Bipolar Disorder: At 5mg/day zyprexa makes a real difference for me. Combined witht the right antidepressant it takes care of my depressive episodes which can by the way be very severe. The side effects I have is increased sleep and increased appetite. Haven't gained any weight on it.

September 19, 2009 1:37 AM

Review by lhilley:

My mom has suffered from schizophrenia for over 37 years. She has been taking Zyprexa for the past 5 years. The improvement in her demeanor and ability to fuction through everyday activities has been phenomenal. She is socializing and enjoying shopping and eating out again. Thanks.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2009 11:32 AM

Review by channie:

For Depression: Excellent results, but without insurance it cost about 275.00 a bottle (too expensive).

September 9, 2009 11:46 PM

Review by seanc25:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking this for about week and I already feel the side effects. I can't make any major choices because I'm so far from the 4 week point but I wont give it a bad name because we suffer from depression and bi-polar and if we expect the worst we will get the worst.

August 30, 2009 11:23 PM

Review by I_Know:

Took very lose dose. Great for sleep but I experienced a significant increase in appetite which led to a 30lbs weight gain in 1 and 1/2 months. Switched to Seroquel at 100mg and appetite returned to normal.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2009 1:38 AM

Review by Coriander:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I was prescribed Zyprexa to treat my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I will say that my OCD behaviors were considerably helped, but the side effects were far too great for me. Thankfully I'm a teacher and it was summer vacation because I couldn't wake up before 1pm (granted, I do tend to sleep late in the summer, but not that late), and when I could finally pull myself out of bed, all I would be able to do until around 7pm was lie on the couch with the posture of overcooked spaghetti, except when I was eating non-stop. The cravings were insatiable. I've always been very thin, but in that one summer I gained around 20 pounds. I had to switch medicines.

August 9, 2009 3:12 AM