User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Zyprexa review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Zyprexa to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by danand2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I would give Zyprexa a 10 rating except for the weight gain. I have bipolar 1 and have a lot more mania than depression. I have psychotic symptoms also and racing thoughts a lot. It did make me very tired the first couple of weeks but then it worked perfect except for the weight gain so I am not on it anymore.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 8, 2014 2:03 PM
Review by jigsrybv: User Rating:

I have bipolar 1 disorder. Started with 5mg Zyprexa, now am on 7.5mg at night. I find it really helps me with my moods. Some of the side effects for me are swollen ankles, weight gain and sedative effect throughout the day.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 12, 2013 10:48 PM
Review by Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

This drug did its job. It stopped any mood swings for the most part, but the biggest downside was that I bloated up and slept heavily. I put on maybe, 10-20kgs whilst on this drug (I was on it for 2 years). Effective nontheless.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 2, 2013 7:38 AM
Review by krystle24: User Rating:

I have been on 5mg tablet for almost 2 yrs. I started off on one tab a night then cut my dose down to half tab, currently taking 1/4 tab during the day because I always miss my alarm if I take it at night. I over sleep way to much, always tired, brain feels foggy. I've gained 30 pounds and its getting harder to take it off. I'm always hungry and always thirsty. It helps with behaviors. I still flip out but way less often.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Review by Kasey1994: User Rating:

I am a 19 yo girl and I have bipolar disorder 2 and suffer anxiety and depression, so my doctor prescribed 10mg Zyprexa daily. I had HORRIBLE side effects. In four months I gained 20kg, developed cystic acne and my thinking was slow and foggy. Any self confidence I had or pride in my appearance evaporated completely. The worst part is I still had the anxiety and the depression (although I didn't expect an antipsychotic to help with depression). I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore. Zyprexa was definitely not for me.

August 13, 2013 9:52 AM
Review by ms pimpin thang (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have literally been on every medication you can think of. Prozac, Zoloft, Geodon, Haldol, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Xanax, clonazepam and the list doesn't stop but Zyprexa did it! None of them seemed to help until I tried Zyprexa! I do not have to take anxiety medicines anymore because somehow Zyprexa took care of that also and my anxiety used to be so bad.

June 27, 2013 5:01 PM
Review by Katzendame: User Rating:

It's great for anxiety and moods. It's helped a lot. Only bad thing is weight gain. I have gone up 2 dress sizes, craving a lot of junk food as well.

June 7, 2013 3:42 AM
Review by Crawling (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I loved this medicine, it stabilized me, helped me sleep without being too drowsy but sadly I have had to be moved off because I gained 4 stone. But that is the only side effect I had.

April 5, 2013 4:00 AM
Review by DirtyDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Got hospitalized. upped to 10mg morning and evening. This dose has helped my symptoms. I've had blackouts, and panic attacks and sex problems with every other atypical out there. Zyprexa is great. Only negative is gaining weight fast, while being slightly sedating, which makes it harder to exercise.

March 28, 2013 10:20 PM
Review by DirtyDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

10mg Zyprexa gave me insomnia due to restless legs. It had minimal impact on my symptoms. I gained 30lb in a matter of weeks.

March 11, 2013 12:03 PM
Review by prestes (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have been taking Zyprexa for over a month and it just recently started making me sleep over 14+hours a night. I am tired and unmotivated. The anxiety has slowed way down but is not completely gone. I take 5mg per night and I also take Ativan 3 times a day.

December 17, 2012 1:04 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

When I was diagnosed as bipolar I was put on Zyprexa. I took it 3 times a day and it was great at eliminating my mania, depression, and anxiety symptoms. However I had two side effects, I would get tired and I gained over 100 pounds over 12 years. So my doctor suggested lithium and I am on that now and doing fine and I have lost 30 pounds in 4 months.

December 4, 2012 4:50 PM

After the first time I took Zyprexa, my head and legs felt like they weighed one tone each! I tried it for 2 weeks and this got worse! It increased my appetite a lot too. My dr is currently trying to find a medicine that works for me. Its so hard as I get a lot of strange side effects on these medicines!

November 7, 2012 9:18 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I found zyprexa to be quite effective however it made me very tired and unmotivated though. I was incredibly hungry all day. Only stayed on it for about a month and put on 7lbs. I am in the process of exploring different antipsychotics that are more weight friendly. Putting on weight was making me depressed and making me become more hostile because of it

October 15, 2012 7:21 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Puerperal Psychosis: Made me incredibly hungry and then not even remember eating things! One time I ate 7 doughnuts in one night - I only know this because I found the empty packet the next morning. I have no memory of eating them. I put a lot of weight on doing this.

September 21, 2012 7:02 PM

Works

August 15, 2012 9:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I had a bad reaction to an anti-inflammatory misdiagnosed as bipolar and was put on this drug. It causes psychoses in someone wrongly put on it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 13, 2012 10:52 AM
Review by Lotus68 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Bipolar I - I take Zyprexa, Lithium and Lamictal. Zyprexa is the only medicine that has controlled my severe depression part of my bipolar. It has changed my life. I am slightly hungrier but I'll take that over feeling so depressed.

June 4, 2012 2:38 PM
Review by subert: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder in the early 90's. Tried all kinds of anti-psychotic medicines, Zyprexa is the the one that has helped me the best. I feel tired and emotionless but I am pretty sure that it is better than what my family goes through when I am not on it.

December 3, 2011 6:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm bipolar and this is the only medication (out of many, many) that really helps my bipolar and it works almost instantaneously for me. I first went on it to gain weight because I was trying to recover from anorexia and struggling, but stayed on it for my bipolar. I did gain weight and I eat tons, but I have a good metabolism and Zyprexa just brings me up to my medically ideal weight.

October 26, 2011 3:07 PM
Review by 22222cv: User Rating:

I feel much calmer, my anxiety has gone and mood is stabilized. Also every night I get restful 10 hours sleep. I haven't gained any weight. I take 10 mg.

October 25, 2011 6:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was fifteen years old. I have been on several other medications and stopped taking them when I was eighteen and did not take them for ten years. I developed substance issues with alcohol and drugs to try and self medicate. I had a lot of personal and social problems. I was put on Zyprexa less than a week ago and it has quite literally saved my life and my current marriage. I have not experienced any side effects. I take only 5mg once a day in conjunction with lithium. WOW!

October 12, 2011 1:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been taking Zyprexa for about three years. Although it seems to help me restrain from the hyper-manic episodes it seems to also hinder my personality. I feel like my spirit is being suppressed and life for me is not as enjoyable. I do however feel it makes it easier for my loved ones as I don't send them through my "energetic" episodes that they say are more tiring for them. I too have gained a lot of extra weight especially around the middle ...I feel starved an hour after eating.

September 30, 2011 12:49 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zyprexa was prescribed to me in my early 20s after a manic episode. I took it for a year and was a complete zombie. I remember noting from that period apart from sleeping all day and raiding the cupboard at night. I gained 30% of my body weight or 6Olbs and it took me two years to lose it.

March 17, 2011 9:31 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Zyprexa for 6months now and it has calmed me down quite a bit. I have no more racing thoughts. I don't hear voices or see things anymore. The only down fall to this medicine is the weight gain. I would highly recommend it though.

March 15, 2011 10:54 AM