User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Zyprexa review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zyprexa to treat Depression

Review by tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it.

January 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Renay224:

I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it.

October 22, 2013 6:55 PM

Review by Darrend1:

I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa.

September 5, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by kestrel28 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I started taking Zyprexa over two years ago for intrusive thoughts I was having as a result of Obsessive compulsive disorder/depression. While the Zyprexa helped remove intrusive thinking, it added about thirty pounds onto my slender frame, made me severely tired, and took away my sex drive. In addition to these adverse effects, I was unmotivated/uninterested in many activities that used to give me pleasure. I had a "so what" attitude about life in general. All because of this medicine. What really frightened me about taking this was my cholesterol went sky high, and my blood sugar was also very high, making me an at risk candidate for diabetes. I am finally off of this.

May 25, 2013 5:27 AM

Review by whereswally (taken for less than 1 month):

Feeling heaps better about life and alot calmer only thing is I feel hungry all the time and have put on 4 kilos in one week!! Dont know what to do about that...

March 6, 2013 5:45 AM

Review by Nessa94:

Really helps with mood swings and made me calmer. It also made me gain 50lbs in 6months. It's extremely hard to control your weight on this pill.

November 22, 2012 3:13 PM

Review by hihityu:

I take 5 mg of Zyprexa daily. I'm almost the entire day sleepy and have the feeling of doing nothing. I can not worry, because I have to sleep for about 15 hours daily. But I have tried everything out there, and this is the best at this moment.

October 15, 2012 10:43 PM

This medication is a great sedative, if that's what you're looking for. It's not euphoric, it just makes you sleepy. But it caused me to gain over 40 pounds in less than 2 months. I now get depressed just looking in the mirror. My doctor says it just makes you hungry, not gain weight, but the amount of weight I gained in such a short time is unnatural!

February 13, 2012 3:54 PM

Worked well for depression. Didn't make me sleepy but always hungry.

January 18, 2012 3:14 PM

Review by jograndmama5:

I have taken Zyprexa 2.5 with Zoloft for years and couldn't function without this combination. It was prescribed because the Zoloft just didn't take care of the insomnia and mood swings. Zyprexa 2.5 has been a God-send.

November 2, 2011 5:32 PM

After taking the 2.5 dosage for 4 days I feel very irritable. I am experiencing crying spells, tiredness, extreme moodiness and just want to be alone. This medicine was prescribed for a mood disorder that I have been experiencing. I also take other anti-depressants. I don't think this is a good mix with other medicines or just not right for me.

October 29, 2011 6:23 PM

A two-year depression vanished in just 24 hours.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2011 7:28 PM

Review by cheersrichard:

Found this medication very effective in my withdrawals from both alcohol and weed. It stops my racing thoughts and keeps me calm. However it does somewhat make you zombie like and unable to feel emotions.

February 1, 2011 9:52 PM

I took Klonopin and Paxil for 15 years to treat my anxiety disorder. I had to detox from the Klonopin this past spring. I got off the Klonopin and switched my Paxil to Lexapro (sex side effect issue). I am also a recovering alcoholic. My doctor did not want me on Benzo's anymore (says it increased alcohol cravings). I stayed on Lexapro only for 9 months, but my anxiety came back strong on just the Lexapro alone. I almost resorted to taking Xanax before I switched doctors. My new doc gave Zyprexa a chance. I am on my 7th day and I haven't felt this "normal" in 5 years. I take 5mgs at night and it has ended the "chatter" in my head, and removed my anxiety. Great medicine so far.

January 16, 2011 6:24 PM

Review by tdholste:

This medication works very well for me. I take it with Pristiq and it is a very good combination. Haven't felt this good for a year.

November 1, 2010 8:45 PM

Review by Mom in trouble:

My doctor started me on 5mg of Zyprexa and the first 2 days I slept over 14 hours falling asleep within 20 mins of taking it. By day three I couldn't sleep at all and went on for days making me feel out of control, confused, forgetful, pretty much out of it and unable to even have my daughter home with me. I was also very bloated, feeling and looking. On the start of the 7th pill/day I began swelling to the point of GOUT, had breathing problems, dry mouth, was oddly emotional/ crying a lot, and hurting badly due to the MASSIVE swelling and couldn't put on any of my pants. I quit taking the medicine but the next night it all got worse with the addition of tightening in my chest. I am now having skin irritations on my hands. This medicine is bad news.

October 28, 2010 5:36 AM

Review by HarryQ:

Calms me down and helps me sleep that's for sure. Weight gain needs to be controlled with exercise program I guess.

July 20, 2010 2:25 AM

I was constantly tired, spaced out and I couldn't eat enough. In 2 months I gained 20 pounds and slept an average of close to 14 hours a day.

May 5, 2010 6:47 PM

Review by struggling mom:

Developed depression and significant anxiety this fall. Doctor started me on Lexapro, but that wasn't controlling the anxiety, loss of appetite and insomnia. Added Zyprexa and almost instantly felt much, much calmer, could eat and slept well. Was very sleepy/tired for the first few days but acclimated within a week. The problem I did have was with weight gain. Thought my life had calmed down and I could do without the medicines, but have found that not to be the case. Did not have any issues weaning off the Lexapro and Zyprexa. Just started Pristiq yesterday. Hoping and praying for good things.

April 16, 2010 6:31 PM

Always tired and felt lazy. Also gained 20lbs.

December 9, 2009 6:20 PM

Review by dydibe:

Made me sweat in bed while asleep to the point it looked like I had a high fever. Took for depression, made me agitated.

November 12, 2009 7:10 PM

Zyprexa was prescribed to augment Prozac for my depression. It helped me somewhat and I would have stayed on it but it made me extremely tired.

October 8, 2009 6:08 PM

Review by channie:

Excellent results, but without insurance it cost about 275.00 a bottle (too expensive).

September 9, 2009 11:46 PM