User Reviews for Zyprexa

Learn more about Zyprexa.

Zyprexa Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Zyprexa to treat Depression

"I am in shock as to the MIRACLE of Olanzipine. A 2 year severe depression, with extreme anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia DISAPEARED the first week on this medicine. Before, my depression was so bad, I stopped brushing my hair, I could barely function, my sadness so profound. After 1 week on Zyprexa, I am finally back to myself, taking good care of myself, sadness is 90% gone, smiling again!"

TheGoodWife42 March 22, 2015

"I don't have as many crying spells as I used to."

Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015

"Had a few psychotic episode few years ago, was hospitalized and was put on Zyprexa and a few other meds. I was diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder), major depression and fibromyalgia. I felt hungry all the time and gained 70lbs, my dose was 20mg a day plus I was on other meds, finally was weaned off all other meds as the months went by. I cannot say my hunger and weight gain was completely due to Zyprexa but I do know that I now take only 5mg a day, at night, sleep well, hunger is normal and I have lost weight with good healthy choices and exercise. I no longer have depression and life has never been better. Zyprexa, therapy, exercise, support and nutrition has saved my life."

lovemylifeforever December 13, 2014

"Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides."

Beans99 November 17, 2014

"Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it."

tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2014

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it."

Renay224 October 22, 2013

"I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa."

Darrend1 September 5, 2013

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Zyprexa over two years ago for intrusive thoughts I was having as a result of Obsessive compulsive disorder/depression. While the Zyprexa helped remove intrusive thinking, it added about thirty pounds onto my slender frame, made me severely tired, and took away my sex drive. In addition to these adverse effects, I was unmotivated/uninterested in many activities that used to give me pleasure. I had a "so what" attitude about life in general. All because of this medicine. What really frightened me about taking this was my cholesterol went sky high, and my blood sugar was also very high, making me an at risk candidate for diabetes. I am finally off of this. "

kestrel28 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Feeling heaps better about life and alot calmer only thing is I feel hungry all the time and have put on 4 kilos in one week!! Dont know what to do about that..."

whereswally (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2013

"Really helps with mood swings and made me calmer. It also made me gain 50lbs in 6months. It's extremely hard to control your weight on this pill."

Nessa94 November 22, 2012

"I take 5 mg of Zyprexa daily. I'm almost the entire day sleepy and have the feeling of doing nothing. I can not worry, because I have to sleep for about 15 hours daily. But I have tried everything out there, and this is the best at this moment."

hihityu October 15, 2012

"This medication is a great sedative, if that's what you're looking for. It's not euphoric, it just makes you sleepy. But it caused me to gain over 40 pounds in less than 2 months. I now get depressed just looking in the mirror. My doctor says it just makes you hungry, not gain weight, but the amount of weight I gained in such a short time is unnatural!"

Anonymous February 13, 2012

"Worked well for depression. Didn't make me sleepy but always hungry."

Anonymous January 18, 2012

"I have taken Zyprexa 2.5 with Zoloft for years and couldn't function without this combination. It was prescribed because the Zoloft just didn't take care of the insomnia and mood swings. Zyprexa 2.5 has been a God-send."

jograndmama5 November 2, 2011

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After taking the 2.5 dosage for 4 days I feel very irritable. I am experiencing crying spells, tiredness, extreme moodiness and just want to be alone. This medicine was prescribed for a mood disorder that I have been experiencing. I also take other anti-depressants. I don't think this is a good mix with other medicines or just not right for me."

Anonymous October 29, 2011

"A two-year depression vanished in just 24 hours."

Anonymous April 19, 2011

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Found this medication very effective in my withdrawals from both alcohol and weed. It stops my racing thoughts and keeps me calm. However it does somewhat make you zombie like and unable to feel emotions."

cheersrichard February 1, 2011

"I took Klonopin and Paxil for 15 years to treat my anxiety disorder. I had to detox from the Klonopin this past spring. I got off the Klonopin and switched my Paxil to Lexapro (sex side effect issue). I am also a recovering alcoholic. My doctor did not want me on Benzo's anymore (says it increased alcohol cravings). I stayed on Lexapro only for 9 months, but my anxiety came back strong on just the Lexapro alone. I almost resorted to taking Xanax before I switched doctors. My new doc gave Zyprexa a chance. I am on my 7th day and I haven't felt this "normal" in 5 years. I take 5mgs at night and it has ended the "chatter" in my head, and removed my anxiety. Great medicine so far."

Anonymous January 16, 2011

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication works very well for me. I take it with Pristiq and it is a very good combination. Haven't felt this good for a year."

tdholste November 1, 2010

"My doctor started me on 5mg of Zyprexa and the first 2 days I slept over 14 hours falling asleep within 20 mins of taking it. By day three I couldn't sleep at all and went on for days making me feel out of control, confused, forgetful, pretty much out of it and unable to even have my daughter home with me. I was also very bloated, feeling and looking. On the start of the 7th pill/day I began swelling to the point of GOUT, had breathing problems, dry mouth, was oddly emotional/ crying a lot, and hurting badly due to the MASSIVE swelling and couldn't put on any of my pants. I quit taking the medicine but the next night it all got worse with the addition of tightening in my chest. I am now having skin irritations on my hands. This medicine is bad news."

Mom in trouble October 28, 2010

"Calms me down and helps me sleep that's for sure. Weight gain needs to be controlled with exercise program I guess."

HarryQ July 20, 2010

"I was constantly tired, spaced out and I couldn't eat enough. In 2 months I gained 20 pounds and slept an average of close to 14 hours a day."

Anonymous May 5, 2010

"Developed depression and significant anxiety this fall. Doctor started me on Lexapro, but that wasn't controlling the anxiety, loss of appetite and insomnia. Added Zyprexa and almost instantly felt much, much calmer, could eat and slept well. Was very sleepy/tired for the first few days but acclimated within a week. The problem I did have was with weight gain. Thought my life had calmed down and I could do without the medicines, but have found that not to be the case. Did not have any issues weaning off the Lexapro and Zyprexa. Just started Pristiq yesterday. Hoping and praying for good things."

struggling mom April 16, 2010

"Always tired and felt lazy. Also gained 20lbs."

Anonymous December 9, 2009

"Made me sweat in bed while asleep to the point it looked like I had a high fever. Took for depression, made me agitated."

dydibe November 12, 2009