User Reviews for Provigil

Learn more about Provigil.

Shift Work Sleep Disorder 9 reviews 2 medications

7.2
Summary of Provigil reviews 87 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Provigil

Review by cmcleigh: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Multiple Sclerosis: The BEST thing I take for the MS. Definitely makes me feel better and more vibrant!

June 1, 2010 12:54 PM

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I was put on Provigil a year and a half ago and can no longer take it. I was one of the ones that had a horrible reaction to it. At first it was just a headache then I would crash around 5... the the headaches got worse, no medicines helped with the headache. Then I started itching. At first I didn't connect it to the Provigil, then I broke out EVERYWHERE with a rash that was like poison ivy just worse. So I am no longer on any medicines and lets just say that most days are very hard and I am so very tired.

May 2, 2010 6:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Multiple Sclerosis: I was diagnosed with MS at the age of 29 and had severe fatigue for 2 years prior. I started on 200mg which was way too strong so I cut the dose into 100mg. I find that if I take it everyday it is not as effective so I just take it when needed which ends up being about 3 times a week (I work full time in a sort of stressful environment). It is important not to "over do it" when on Provigil. I have to say that Provigil changed my life. I am now able to spend time with my boyfriend in the evenings after work and also see friends past 9 PM and not get fatigued. I do feel that when I drink on Provigil I get very emotional...so I try and stay away from drinking. I do like how it helps me mentally focus and also have energy to exercise!

April 21, 2010 6:28 PM
Review by btc:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Provigil saves the day. I work full time, intricate work, drive, multi task person. Yes, it is expensive, but fortunately I have good insurance from my workplace. I take 200 mg a day. No side effects. Never take a nap. I'm the energizer bunny.

March 19, 2010 6:13 PM
Review by psw452004: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Before taking Provigil I could barely get out of bed. I had no idea what was wrong with me. Finally a doctor did a blood test and said I had been exposed to mono which can cause chronic fatigue syndrome. Now that I am on the Provigil I have gone back to work, I clean my house again and I can actually play with my grandkids again. Since being on this medicine I have not experienced any side effects or they were so mild I didn't notice. Provigil has changed my existing into living again.

March 5, 2010 9:46 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Depression: I was initially prescribed this medication to address both a mild sleep apnea problem and persistent depression. Initially, it was indeed like a miracle drug. I felt better immediately and continued so for about a year. However, the drug then quickly became less effective and actually began to make my depression much worse. I very briefly switched to Nuvigil, but I continued with the worsening depression and ended up having to stop the medication. Within a few days of discontinuing the medication, I felt considerably better. I went on to other medications to help with the depression and fatigue. Provigil/Nuvigil has been a blessing for many people. However, as with many medications, their continued use can sometimes backfire.

March 3, 2010 4:36 AM
Review by desombuolized: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: i am 60 years old and had been sleeping12 hours per night with a nap sometimes for 3 hours. am i depressed or chronically fatigued? i have been taking nuvigil and now i sleep 9 hours a night with no naps. i am now more excited about life. side effects? an hour after i take it (one dose 200mm in the am) i notice an effect similar to one cup of coffee that lasts a half hour then nothing. cost is $390 for a thirty day supply. insurance won't cover it. medicare will not except for NARCOLEPSY. . THIS IS NOT RELATED TO RITALIN OR AMPHETAMINES AND HAS A VERY low abuse potential in spite of what you may hear from college students. as more info comes in it would not surprise me that this would be the first drug used in treating depression. thanks

February 18, 2010 11:52 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Literally, PROVIGIL saved my life. I suffered the severest of symptoms re: Narcolepsy w / Cataplexy for several months prior to Physicians determining a diagnosis, I'd have complete "drop attacks" out of a clear blue sky; chattin someone up, nuking a cup of coffee, taking a shower, & SPLAT, down I'd drop! Hit like a sack of sand. Broke numerous bones, ruined numerous joints, fractured my skull & broke 3 ribs. After being evaluated & worked up by a SPECIALIST, I was diagnosed & medicated with 2 X's 200mg Provi's in the A.M. & I've now a somewhat normal life! It's been 2 years & I note the dose is less effective; I've not ate turf lately, but I'm noddin out @ the PC often & slipping from AWAKE to REM, boom like that!

February 16, 2010 3:43 PM
Review by Slower than a slug: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Used to be active. Over last ten years extreme fatigue has grown to total dominance. Interest, hobbies and life in general just vanished. After extensive testing and use of CPAP, doc put me on 200mg/day Provigil, it was like a teaser not quite doing anything, but 400mg seemed to at least get me mentally more active, but does very little for the fatigue part. My major complaint is hard to describe, but after a couple of days I get a sore feeling in my mouth. I don't grind my teeth, but tend to keep a negative pressure in my mouth causing a ridge to form along the tooth line, and slight but painful sores on the gum here and there, it has to be some form of tension, also affects sleep.

February 1, 2010 10:39 AM
Review by ChelleC: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for ADHD: Provigil works great for energy, as well as ADD. I also suffer from Major Panic Disorder, and depression. This medicine gives me such a boost with no side effects, other then a little mood change late in the evening. I recently lost my health insurance due to my divorce, and could not afford it for 6 months, and what a difference I felt, no energy, and I slept more then ever. I think this medication is over priced, by all means, especially for people that it really works for and helps them though. The insurance company's need to cover this medicine, especially when it helps people with ADD and depression, and gives them energy that helps motivate them.

January 29, 2010 4:29 PM
Review by MichellC: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Effective, yet EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE for folks like me who don't have prescription coverage (insurance). Wish there was a generic form of this. This medicine has the least amount of side-effects and is very effective for me.

January 24, 2010 12:59 AM
Review by welcomehomed: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: My problem was falling asleep while driving and falling asleep in class at nursing school. My doctor prescribed Provigil at 200mg in the morning. The first day was simply incredible. After that it didn't seem to work anymore. So the dosage was raised to 300mg. Same affect. So now I take 400mg only on the days when I have class. That seems to be enough to keep me going on the other days too. Provigil is a very good medicine, and I am blessed enough to have insurance that pays every penny so I am not aware of the price. (And I still have to make sure I get at least six hours of sleep at night.)

January 20, 2010 8:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Hypersomnia: I have been taking Provigil 200mg x 2 for 3 yrs. I don't doze off while driving like I used to which is wonderful. I do still get very sleepy in the afternoon and I have a lot of fatigue. The major downfall to Provigil is the cost. I lost my job due to a lay off and no longer have insurance. My prescription without insurance is over $800 per month. Needless to say I will no longer be able to take it once I use all of what I have. Not looking forward to that at all. My doctor also prescribed Ritalin to take in the afternoons but it just makes me jittery for about 15 minutes and that's pretty much all it does for me.

January 19, 2010 9:12 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Depression: Provigil has been a HUGE help for me. I take nortriptyline for my depression. It works better than anything else I've tried but it makes it impossible for me to get up in the morning. When my alarm goes off at 7am I feel like I'm being tortured. I take half a tablet of Provigil at bedtime (11pm). It doesn't keep me from falling asleep but it does help me wake up alert at 7am. Without it, I'll sleep until at least 11:30am. This may be an off-label use but it makes it possible for me to take my antidepressant AND get to school/work on time.

January 6, 2010 12:29 PM
Review by Sleeping beauty: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: I took the first pill this morning. This is the first time in years that I didn't fall asleep in church! I can't wait to go to school Monday morning to see if I get sleepy and doze off in class. Provigil could be one of the best things that ever happened to me!

November 14, 2009 10:33 PM
Review by scottf6904: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: It helps with my narcolepsy but isn't strong enough. I can still fall asleep almost anytime.

November 6, 2009 4:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Provigil has worked well at treating my Narcolepsy. I had to stop taking it when I was pregnant and resumed taking it after my daughter's birth. If you choose to take Provigil and have children, you need to be driven around for the duration of your pregnancy and up until you are back on the medication.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 4, 2009 12:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I was diagnosed with narcolepsy in 1998. I have been on Cylert, amitriptyline, Ritalin, ambien, and now Provigil. The Provigil is a life saver. I did lose weight on it at first, but have leveled off and have not lost any weight since then. I have taken Provigil for 2 years now. It is not an "upper" and does not make me feel drugged. I take 200 mg in the morning. It does not wake me up, it helps me maintain the wakefulness that I need to get through the day. Without Provigil, I would not have a normal life. I am thankful to have found this drug. I would, however, like a generic to it that would help to offset the exorbitant cost of the drug.

October 9, 2009 12:56 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, for that I got a CPAP. But I also had trouble with zombie episodes and uncontrollable sleepiness (at work, while driving, very scary). I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy several years ago (not formally tested though). I have all the symptoms (night terrors, sleep paralysis.), but I have not been tested for it. Anyway, my Sleep Doctor put me on it primarily because of several driving issues. It seems to work well, I have not dozed off or had a zombie episode since I have been on it. I still feel tired, and I can sleep if I want to, so I feel a little more in control. I also don't feel like a speed freak, like Adderal. I am on 200 mg in the morning for the past 2 weeks. So far I am pleased with it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 1, 2009 10:04 PM
Review by thankfully awake: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: After months of absolutely debilitating fatigue and an awful quality of life, I finally found something that makes me feel like I am alive. I would experience such extreme tiredness during the day until it was affecting every aspect of my life. I work 8-5 Mon-Fri. and would go to sleep at night and still wake up feeling awful. I actually felt like I had been 10 rounds in a heavyweight fight every day! I would spend all day in an absolute fog and by the time I would make it in from work I would be yawning so much until tears would be pouring down my face. I was bone weary tired! I have the good fortune to have an excellent family doctor who helped me feel alive again. 100 mg a day. I have my life back!

October 1, 2009 6:58 PM
Review by ChazzM: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: This is my second day on Provigil 200mg once a day and was hoping for a dramatic change but there was none. I have sleep apnea and CPAP was not enough. Passed out at work and not safe to drive. I can say I am a little more clear and not in sleepy fog. Hoping that it will get better or up my dose

August 22, 2009 7:19 AM
Review by fibronana:

Provigil (modafinil) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: I take this pill only as needed because of the price, so I take it if I have an appointment or have to be somewhere on time or before 4 pm. I am a zombie if I don't. I just can't understand why it costs so much. Do they honestly think people can afford to pay this price?

August 18, 2009 11:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: Provigil made me lose my appetite at first, I lost about 20 pounds. The energy was great for a few months but it lost it's effectiveness. It only took me four months to reach the maximum dose.

August 16, 2009 7:36 PM
Review by teek62: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Narcolepsy: For several years, I have been on Provigil, with a small dosage of Ritalin as a supplement. The Provigil was not enough for me, but it was much better than being on Ritalin alone. Ritalin had a tendency to make me anxious and talk constantly. Life is good now as a narcoleptic.

August 8, 2009 5:17 PM
Review by hippychick-: User Rating:

Provigil (modafinil) for Depression: I've used it for 10 days now in my most recent attempt to kick meth. It helps so much. It won't buzz you, but it takes away the debilitating lethargy and depression.

August 7, 2009 6:04 AM