User Reviews for Provigil

Learn more about Provigil.

Shift Work Sleep Disorder 10 reviews 2 medications

7.3
Summary of Provigil reviews 89 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Provigil

Review by Millie E. Elmore (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Narcolepsy: This was more effective than any others tried including Ritalin, Vyvanse which made my heart rate rise to the 140s. Modafinil worked quickly but not suddenly and lasted for the entire day.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 2:53 PM

Review by Miss mia:

For Shift Work Sleep Disorder: It has been a big help since I suffer from excessive daytime sleepiness. I have had surgery for apnea and do shift work.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 6:43 AM

Review by rues:

For Narcolepsy: I tried to write a lot more, but the space is limited. I'd tried ADHD medicines and loading up with caffeine, but nothing seemed to work to manage my excessive sleep cycles. I stumbled across information on Provigil, and asked my doctor if I could try it. I was skeptical because I have eczema, and I have to be careful about the medications, foods, and external allergens I'm exposed to. I began at the lowest dose once/day, and increased to that twice a day after a year and a half, because it seemed the effectiveness was decreasing. I do take breaks from the meds, usually for a day or two, but I've had to for months (cost) and haven't experienced noticeable withdrawal symptoms, like with all the other chemicals.

February 7, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Hebble:

It works well- it's brand is different than the generic.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2013 6:04 PM

Review by Kathy0323:

For Narcolepsy: I am 2 months shy of having used Provigil for 10 years. I have no physical side effects from it, which is pretty good since I am in my late 60s. It was more effective at keeping me awake when I first started using it, but it also made me a little nervous. These days it is usually effective, but sometimes not, but the good news is that I am much calmer than I have been in years. If this medicine seems to lose it's effectiveness, don't give up. Stop taking it for a little while (a week or two) and it will work again just fine. All and all this medicine has given me back my life, except for driving me to the poor house.

September 23, 2013 8:06 PM

Review by Cheri408 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Narcolepsy: I took Provigil along with Adderall and felt the best ever. I was alert, not on too much Adderall so I didn't feel bad from that--Then my insurance company wouldn't cover Provigil any more, they pushed Nuvigil--it made me sleepier.

September 6, 2013 2:40 AM

Review by Jackit:

For Narcolepsy: Provigil worked for my narcolepsy for about 6 months. After that, I began to have bouts of insomnia at night and became ultra sleepy during the day times. I was prescribed sleep medications to help combat the new side effects. Things did not seem to improve. I also gained 40 pounds during the time I took Provigil (which was a total of 9 months). As a woman, gaining weight was my LEAST desirable side effect of all. Finally, I switched off of Provigil and returned to what was working for me originally, Adderall XR 30 mg one to two times per day (depending on what my schedule was like that day). I only switched off of Adderall XR originally because my doctor was concerned about the potential long term cardiovascular effects on my body.

September 3, 2013 11:50 AM

Review by Sagemonkey:

For Narcolepsy: Wide awake, enhanced reflexes, but too expensive.

July 25, 2013 8:47 AM

Review by AbbeyL (taken for less than 1 month):

For Narcolepsy: I found that this medicine was good at keeping my body awake, but I still felt like my mind was falling asleep. After about 4 or 5 days on it I developed the worst migraine of my life...when I get migraines they usually resolve with just half of a Vicodin. After taking two full Vicodin's I still had the most raging migraine ever. It lasted for 3 days. Once it resolved I went back on the Provigil two days later another raging migraine. That was it for me.

July 13, 2013 1:15 PM

Review by myoman (taken for less than 1 month):

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: This medication is AMAZING! After 20 years of excessive sleepiness I can finally make it through the day at work without falling asleep. No more nodding off at the wheel and I can enjoy the evening with my family without falling asleep. I've been in a great mood and have the energy I had when I was a kid. I just wish I found out about this many years ago. I take 100mg early morning and 100mg early afternoon. I have had no side effects at all to date.

March 14, 2013 3:51 PM

Review by Sleepy Sister (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Narcolepsy: For the past few years, my friends all made fun of me for how many naps I took. Eventually, I was not able to leave very far from my house lest I get a sleep attack and need to lay down immediately. I've slept everywhere - from the bathroom floor at my work (before I was fired for leaving early so many times to sleep) to friends cars during the middle of the day. After FINALLY getting a narcolepsy diagnosis (good luck getting insurance to pay without it - even the Patient Assist Program won't send you meds unless your diagnosis is documented) I am now experiencing how normal people must live. As long as I take the Provigil at the exact times I need to (100mg at 8am, noon, 4pm) I can work, making me feel like an asset to society again.

February 28, 2013 9:58 PM

Review by awake all day:

For Narcolepsy: I've had delayed sleep phase syndrome, mood disorder and ADHD all my life, due to brain injury at birth and a family pattern of delayed sleep phase syndrome. I managed a successful professional career but with great difficulty and with struggles with different medications. I way overused caffeine, with mixed results and side effects. Provigil has been wonderful and I wish it had been available when I was a child and in school and working. I feel normal and alert and not constantly fighting sleepiness, inattention and depression. I can't help wondering how much better I might have done with this medicine. It is helping me with my second career as an artist.

January 23, 2013 8:34 PM

Review by bettyredd69 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Narcolepsy: I took Provigil for about 7 years. When I was working my insurance covered it. I had not idea of the price. It is wonderful medicine but way too expensive if you have to pay for it. Without any discounts it's approximately $1,300 per prescription. Am on Medicare now and they will not cover it so am no longer taking. It was great on keeping me from sleeping all the time and helped a lot with my depression. Perhaps the price will come down someday and I can start it again. Highly recommended.

January 9, 2013 4:26 PM

Review by pjse545604 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Narcolepsy: I was diagnosed with narcolepsy around 7th grade, and pretty much sleep through middle school. I took Ritalin about up to 10th grade which moderately helped me stay awake, but I still would always crash multiple times a day due to the fact that it doesn't completely eliminate excessive sleepiness and trying to perfect your taking-schedule really is crucial with any narcolepsy prescribed medication. When my neurologist started me on Provigil, I was pretty shocked by the lack of side-effects it had, and it was a somewhat natural awake feeling as others have mentioned. I went from taking 2 (200 mg) pills a day to taking 2-3 (200 mg) pills a day depending on my schedule, exercise, or exam studying.

December 5, 2012 10:38 PM

Review by GodHelmet (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Narcolepsy: Had no life at all except pain and overwhelming fatigue for 10 years. Visited many doctors with no help at all. I am a scientist began tracking medicines that were in the pipeline - came across Provigil, looked like it was the one for me. When it became available I was first in line. changed my life completely; I was normal again; I could produce again and did to a stunning degree. 3 weeks ago, after 8 years, Provigil completely stopped working. I know all the obvious reasons but makes no sense, I am again existing with no quality to go forward. Am manically changing to Adderall while I try to figure this out.

November 28, 2012 7:46 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Narcolepsy: Felt like the energizer bunny! Within an hour I was racing around work. Pain I normally have(back surgery) disappeared but after 6 hrs when I slowed down finally, I ached everywhere!

November 13, 2012 10:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Narcolepsy: For over 5 years Provigil worked very well. It would appear I have developed a tolerance as within the past 6 months I have had an extreme decrease in efficacy.

October 11, 2012 9:52 AM

For Narcolepsy: I was good the first two days on this medicine but on the third day I got lots of itching and skin sensitivity. I was hoping this would work for me but it did not.

October 9, 2012 11:18 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Narcolepsy: I have Narcolepsy with Cataplexy and am currently taking Provigil during the day when I first wake up. I have noticed that my Cataplexy attacks are fewer but it doesn't stop them all. I still have at least 3 big attacks a week. I have found that I am more alert taking Ritalin but have more cataplectic attacks. I am currently working with my doc to up the dosage because the 200mg are not enough. I have had some side effects with the medicine. Mood Swings, becoming fixated on a task or project, confusion, headache and some depression. I am currently a full time student and for me taking Provigil to prevent attacks vs being more alert is the best option for me at this point.

September 16, 2012 6:04 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Narcolepsy: I have only been on Provigil for a month, but it has caused extreme nausea and headaches. I have a history of cluster headaches and migraines, which had diminished, but are now back in full force. I've also had stomach cancer twice and Provigil makes me very nauseous and losing weight due to an inability to eat. I'm glad that it is effective for some, I just wish that I was in that group because I am TIRED.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2012 8:49 AM

Review by crabbygranny (taken for less than 1 month):

For Narcolepsy: After the first 200mg dose, I experienced a powerful, irresistible and complete voiding of my bowel. It left me weak so I did not take any more for a full day. Then I took half a tablet (100mg) and experienced the same thing again. At a quarter dose (50mg) the same thing happened. I think Provigil is an excellent laxative. It gave (at all those doses) a moderate improvement in wakefulness for about two hours; it did not help with my cataplexy. Since then 40mg (4 x 10mg) of methylphenidate allows me to stay awake and alert and also eliminates attacks of catalepxy.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2012 9:17 PM

Review by DrWildcat:

For Narcolepsy: I can't take Provigil daily because it is expensive so I use it on days when I need to accomplish important tasks (shopping, housework, social occasions, etc.). Having suffered from depression since my teens, and although my standard medicines help, Provigil is the only medicine ever that has made me feel "good". I'm so happy my psychiatrist suggested this medication and I hope that it is approved for depression so that insurance companies will cover it.

July 19, 2012 2:29 PM

For Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Hypopnea Syndrome: Originally prescribed Provigil for sleep apnea, or at least that is what my doctors said so that my insurance would pay for it, however my sleep study was done a long time ago when I weighed more and insurance has recently stopped paying. I actually take the medication due to 2 previous head injuries. I have been on the medication for about 4-5 years. During that time I have returned to work and school to pursue a nursing degree. Off of the Provigil I have to take a nap every day, begin to forget things, and fail my classes at school. I have had to make many lifestyle changes since my accidents and taking Provigil really helps me. I am a single mom of 2 teenagers and just want close to normal life as possible.

July 18, 2012 4:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Narcolepsy: It saved my life, had forgotten normal people live this type of life, I feel normal again! I feel so lucky my doctor prescribed it.

June 29, 2012 1:50 PM

Review by signs193 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Narcolepsy: Provigil (Modafinil) has been a good addition to my regimen for dealing with the symptoms of narcolepsy. I take different doses depending on severity of symptoms. I take 50 mg. twice a day most of the time. Or 100 mg. twice a day. I have tried 200 mg. once or twice a day and that's where the side effects kick in (very dry mouth and headaches). It does keep me awake during the day most of the time, but sometimes I feel as if I never took it. But that's where adding coffee or caffeine pills really helps. I feel safe taking this med and I'm happy to have discovered it.

May 22, 2012 4:31 PM