User Reviews for Asacol

Ulcerative Colitis 7 reviews 74 medications

Ulcerative Proctitis 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Asacol reviews 44 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Asacol

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance "Over the last 6 months since I was diagnosed with UC, I've tried as much as 4.8g/day of asacol: alone, with prednisone, with imuran, IV steroids and enema cortisol. So far, I've only had luck with the prednisone. This stuff does not work at all for me"

Roy360 July 26, 2015

For Crohn's Disease "I was diagnosed with crohn's disease when I was 27yrs old. I'm now 54. Ive been through 2 fistula removal's and many nights awaken with extreme rectal spasams. no fun! Extreme weight loss and fatigue. My Dr. put me on Asacol 400mg (2 in the morning, and 2 at night). turned my life around. Dr. told me I needed to stay on the medicine for rest of my life. I felt great, put weight back on and then I did a stupid thing. I decided to stop taking it. was doing fine for past 5yrs but its back. weight loss and all other symptoms, cramping, loss of appetite, etc.. If Asacol is working for you, stay on it."

Rick B July 6, 2015

For Ulcerative Colitis "First placed on this medication in 2012 with no improvement in condition."

American 1 July 24, 2014

For Ulcerative Colitis "Worked really well at the beginning."

Beauteeful (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2014

For Ulcerative Colitis "Had severe bloody diarrhea for a couple months, went away for two years then came back worse. I was then diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. My Dr started me on 6 pills a day of Asacol. Within two weeks I was having completely normal bowel movements again with no pain. I then began decreasing my dosage (doctors orders) and now I am currently on 2 pills a day of 800g. My life is completely back to normal. The only side effect I have is slight dizziness during more stressful times. I have had a couple minor minor flares. I do miss my dosage once in a while but it never seems to affect me as long as I take my next dose. Would recommend Asacol in a heart beat!"

JodanA (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2014

For Ulcerative Colitis "Hair loss, bloating, headache, night sweats, stretch marks on inner thighs and increased frequency on bowel motion."

Artsytamara (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2013

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 10 days ago. Started 800MG 2 tablets, 3 times/day plus suppository at night. Diarrhea quickly went down to once a day instead of eight times. Experiencing fatigue, slight nausea and seem to be developing acne."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2013

For Ulcerative Colitis "Great, the only medicine that got me under control, no more bathroom mapping while leaving the house."

pmd53 (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2013

For Crohn's Disease "Has been very effective for maintaining remission of symptoms. Note: had to decrease dose to 400 mg 3 times daily. Passed pills whole at higher dose."

Nano also (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2013

For Crohn's Disease "So far this medicine had slowed down multiple diarrhea problems"

nic niv (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2013

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance "I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 30 years, on Asacol for 17. Took it during 2 pregnancies with no ill effects. This medicine has helped me stay in remission for the past 17 years, at a low dose (would like 4 400mg/day, but too expensive, so making due with 2). A lifesaver."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2013

For Crohn's Disease "I have been on Asacol for 7 years and have only minor flare ups. I have had 3 "flares" in 7 years so I am a fan of Asacol. I take the max dose of 12 per day. I also have colitis. Thanks to insurance my cost is ONLY $200 a month."

Pauling (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2013

For Crohn's Disease "I have been taking Asacol HD since I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease almost 3 years ago and have had only one flare-up. This works great for me!"

TREEman 1966 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2013

For Ulcerative Colitis "I was diagnosed 6 months ago with Colitis. I started taking Asacol 400mg 3x a day. I felt great immediately after the 3rd pill. No diarrhea for 2 whole days! Last night my stomach started that weird rumbling noise. About an hour later, I had a severe headache! One of the worst I have ever had! I was on my 10th pill. One of the side effects of this medication. Be careful, always call your Dr. if you have any side effects with this medication. I stopped taking this medicine, did not work for me."

angie1049 January 19, 2013

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance "I have been on Asacol, two 400mg pills three times a day. It has done wonders for me. I have no side effects at all and it has kept my ulcerative colitis in remission with to symptoms at all. While my doctor has told me to stay on the full dosage, the bottle says that after 6 weeks one should go on maintenance of only 4 pills per day. Due to the expense of these pills, I am already down to 5 pills per day and still doing great."

Jerbons (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2012

For Inflammatory Bowel Disease "Have had IBD for years, got relief after just 3 doses. The disease has had me housebound for a year because I never knew when I was going to have an accident. Had no control at all. Am hoping this will be the solution and I can have a normal life."

PedrosMom (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2012

For Lymphocytic Colitis "I have been on this medication for about 5 years now, 4 tablets a day, down from 6 a day. Thank goodness it has worked, as when I had attacks, I lost 20lbs in 6 weeks. Symptoms are pretty much gone, and life returned to normal about 2 months after beginning this medication. I was 55 when diagnosed, and just turned 60 and am doing fine. I have no apparent side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2012

For Crohn's Disease "Gave me severe abdominal pain and retried it 3 times. I think it did damage to my colon but some people do alright on it. "

Anonymous April 12, 2012

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance "It takes my colitis pain away and aids me in decreasing my flare ups but the side effects are lower back pain and tiredness. I only use when I have to."

Anonymous April 10, 2012

For Ulcerative Colitis "I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in April of 2011. After numerous visits with my doctor and exploratoy scopes, my gastroenterologist prescribed Asacol last September(2012) and he gave me a discount card to use when I initially filled my prescription for Asacol, so the monthly precirptions have been FREE! Since taking Asacol on a regular basis, my last scope revealed that ALL of my ulcertations have healed! Thank you, Asacol! You've changed my life!"

Anonymous February 10, 2012

For Ulcerative Colitis, Active "Daily diarrhea for 50 years. Recently diagnosed ulcerative colitis Asacol for 10 days only. Diarrhea gone. Gone! In my 70's and just starting to live--thanks to Asacol."

Anonymous November 14, 2011

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance "I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis since I was 17 had a colonscopy done and that's when I was prescribed Asacol. It was terrible my diarrhea was just horrible, it also came with a a lot of blood. I started taking Asacol about 9 pills daily after about a couple of months the diarrhea was completely gone. That's when I thought it was okay to stop taking them so about 4 years later the flares started happening again. So I don't recommended delaying the pills. "

Johnny585 August 5, 2011

For Lymphocytic Colitis "I am newly diagnosed with LC, I am 38 years old and suffered with various GI issues for years. Finally got a diagnosis and was started just last week on Asacol 800 mg tabs three times a day. I have noticed that the diarrhea is slightly less frequent and less explosive after only one week. I am hopeful, especially after reading the other user's comments, that this will help me."

Anonymous February 4, 2011

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance "I was diagnosed after 22 years in the AF at age 42. I've had to side effects since sta'rting on Asacol 10 years ago. I have refused to let Crohns control my life and Asacol was a big part of it."

Anonymous November 3, 2010

For Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance "I've had ulcerative colitis now for 28 years. I took Asacol during all my three pregnancies with no side effect. I did have a major flare-up after the first delivery though despite the Asacol. My ulcerative colitis is now completely under control, so much so that my doctor said that my colon looks completely healthy. I take 4 tablets per day, I do forget occasionally, but it has worked miracles for me. I can also eat everything."

Anonymous October 3, 2010