User Reviews for Asacol

Learn more about Asacol.

Asacol Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance.

Reviews for Asacol to treat Ulcerative Colitis, Maintenance

"Over the last 6 months since I was diagnosed with UC, I've tried as much as 4.8g/day of asacol: alone, with prednisone, with imuran, IV steroids and enema cortisol. So far, I've only had luck with the prednisone. This stuff does not work at all for me"

Roy360 July 26, 2015

"I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 30 years, on Asacol for 17. Took it during 2 pregnancies with no ill effects. This medicine has helped me stay in remission for the past 17 years, at a low dose (would like 4 400mg/day, but too expensive, so making due with 2). A lifesaver."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2013

"I have been on Asacol, two 400mg pills three times a day. It has done wonders for me. I have no side effects at all and it has kept my ulcerative colitis in remission with to symptoms at all. While my doctor has told me to stay on the full dosage, the bottle says that after 6 weeks one should go on maintenance of only 4 pills per day. Due to the expense of these pills, I am already down to 5 pills per day and still doing great."

Jerbons (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 16, 2012

"It takes my colitis pain away and aids me in decreasing my flare ups but the side effects are lower back pain and tiredness. I only use when I have to."

Anonymous April 10, 2012

"I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis since I was 17 had a colonscopy done and that's when I was prescribed Asacol. It was terrible my diarrhea was just horrible, it also came with a a lot of blood. I started taking Asacol about 9 pills daily after about a couple of months the diarrhea was completely gone. That's when I thought it was okay to stop taking them so about 4 years later the flares started happening again. So I don't recommended delaying the pills. "

Johnny585 August 5, 2011

"I've had ulcerative colitis now for 28 years. I took Asacol during all my three pregnancies with no side effect. I did have a major flare-up after the first delivery though despite the Asacol. My ulcerative colitis is now completely under control, so much so that my doctor said that my colon looks completely healthy. I take 4 tablets per day, I do forget occasionally, but it has worked miracles for me. I can also eat everything."

Anonymous October 3, 2010

"I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 1991. For the last few years I have been using Asacol, with no problems, only if I try to stop taking it, which I'd rather not do. It's really helping me. I'm 46 and happy. I'm going for colonoscopy every year just to make sure everything is fine."

Lee46 August 27, 2010

"Took for 9 months for maintenance of ulcerative colitis. I now have kidney damage. Please make sure your doctor checks kidney function regularly while taking this."

happygirl67 August 8, 2010

"Asacol caused high diarrhea within 1- 2 days, then was switched to Colezol, and within about 2 months had a bad flare-up, which stopped within 2 days of discontinuing Colezol. Have since learned that if you are intolerant of Asacol, Colezol should not be prescribed. Are going to end up with same issues."

Anonymous April 11, 2010

"I have been taking Asacol for my UC for 6 years now. I strongly recommend taking it 3 times a day (I take 3 pills, 3x per day), it is better to have a higher frequency of the drug in your system. I haven't had a flare in 3 years, it is has provided great results."

Anonymous March 19, 2010

"Like the others mention, I was put on Asacol after a hospital stay which included high doses of prednisone and transfusions. I was prescribed Asacol and have been flare free for just over 1 year now. Occasionally I experience slight nausea after taking it, but I have found that taking it with a meal reduces or eliminates that problem. I intend to continue to take this medicine because I feel it has allowed me to live a normal life again."

CJN July 30, 2009

"Asacol has worked perfectly for me. I was diagnosed with moderate ulcerative colitis, started taking asacol (along with enemas, for about 2 months), now I'm completely off the enemas and still taking the asacol tablets twice a day at 4 pills per time ( 8 per day). It has been about four months since I've had any sign of my colitis, and I intend to keep taking asacol. I am reducing my dose to 6 pills per day for the next month or two, then I'll go down to 4 pills per day and see if that dosage will keep it away. I am very pleased with this drug. "

Anonymous October 20, 2008

"I have had Ulcerative Colitis for 13 years. Asacol is good for maintenance of active ulcerative colitis."

J Chan July 31, 2008

"I have had ulcerative colitis for 16 years and I am 31 years old. I can tell you that I've been on pretty much every drug out there to control it. Asacol has been the only drug that I can take without getting any horrible side effects and keep my illness under control. It was even safe throughout my pregnancy. I do take anywhere from 8 to 12 pills a day, but it's so worth it."

Anonymous July 20, 2008

"At the onset of my ulcerative colitis (UC), I was hospitalized for an extended time. I lost a lot of blood and had a transfusion. I was put on a very high dose of prednisone and was then introduced to Asacol. While on Asacol, I've had just a few minor UC attacks that went away quickly when "upping" the Asacol during the flair-up. I think it's a great drug. I currently take 6 pills a day for maintenance."

Anonymous July 20, 2008

"I have been using Asacol for about 6 years. At the onset of Ulcerative cholitis, I was on high doses of Prednisone with the Asacol. It took over a year to get stablized, but the past two years have been event free. The only complaint I have is that the Doctor did not explain how Asacol works. I thought it was not working because I was passing whole tablets. I actually was breaking some of the pills thinking I was helping when in fact I was hurting the situation. Now taking 9 x 400mg pills daily."

Anonymous June 19, 2008