User Reviews for Lubiprostone

Also known as: Amitiza

Learn more about Lubiprostone.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 27 reviews 123 medications

Constipation, Drug Induced 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lubiprostone reviews 96 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Lubiprostone

Review by IBS gone! (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have tried amitiza and yes it worked and got me to use the bathroom but didn't do very much for my stomach pain. I did get some relief just from going. I also had to take way over recomended dose to get anything significant.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 8:12 PM
Review by Rondellr7 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: Excellent I'm so glad I was given the medication I feel so much better

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 9:58 AM
Review by Ashley L.: User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've had IBS-C for at least 2 years. In the last year, it has become increasingly worse which resulted in me being diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Like most of you, I could barely go...nothing seemed to help: Miralax, Philips, etc. I was resuming to using enemas a few times a week just to get some relief. Because of this, I was feeling tired all the time, moody and having horrible headaches. It left me feeling awful. I recently started this medicine, and it has been a God-send. I went from never being able to go on my own to at least once a day. I take it with food and water. I read the reviews on here beforehand, so I made sure to follow what others said. The first day I took it, I felt a little nauseous, but haven't since.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 1, 2014 10:02 PM
Review by jackie1117759 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Bloating was my biggest problem. I felt so bloated I looked pregnant! Nothing helped...and I tried them all until I tried and stayed with Amitiza. It was and is worth the expense.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 23, 2014 4:48 AM
Review by details (taken for less than 1 month):

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: The first round of 8mcg twice daily produced a bowel movement the next day, but further use has not helped. I will increase the dosage to 16mcg, in hopes it will work once again. From other comments, there seems to be quite a bit of leeway in dosing and in combining with other things to alleviate chronic constipation. I experienced no side effects from the 8mcg twice daily.

December 4, 2013 2:57 PM
Review by Jennay (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation and have tried everything out there. They either didn't work or had ridiculous side effects that outnumbered the advantages. Amitiza is the best medicine I have ever taken. I have very severe constipation and take 24mcg 2x/daily. I went from no bowel motions to going once every other day on average. Advice...take it with food. The only side effect I have is crazy nausea and a horrid headache if I take it on an empty stomach. Also it is very expensive and can have a hefty co-pay. Amitiza has a website where you will get a free card to cover your co-pay. I went from $25 out of pocket to $0!

December 3, 2013 9:15 PM
Review by Jessi W. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: As a survivor of very severe anorexia, I had renal failure and am now not able to produce the correct mucus or "lubrication" in my intestines. This causes bowel movements to be infrequent and painful. Amitiza is a god send. Works just like it should. Was on 16 mcg twice a day but was just put on 24 mcg twice a day with 40mg Zegrid. Not sure which one is causing nausea, but Amitiza never did it before. Has made bowel movements much easier.

November 2, 2013 5:52 PM
Review by So relieved!!!!! (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I have been taking this medicine for about two weeks now and I must say it is heaven sent. There's nothing worse than being compacted with waste and having that constipation sensation constantly. What prompted me to invest in this "life saver" was one day like some of you I went to use the restroom and yet again as usual I was constipated so I was frustrated and everything else so I forced my bowel movement and when I finished I was bleeding. I made an appointment with doctor and today I'm so glad I did. So, so, so happy now.

September 16, 2013 2:00 AM
Review by happy camper (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: This is the only thing that has worked! A bit of gas, but no problems otherwise. Insurance is not covering it because of the expense, but it is worth the expense to be regular again after years of trying everything under the sun. 24 mcg 2x daily with food and I'm a happy camper!

August 31, 2013 2:33 AM
Review by mar222 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I have been on laxatives forever. Specifically, Perdiem. I take 3 Perdiem and 1 Amitiza at bedtime and go every morning. The Perdiem (similar to Senokot) was starting to not work as well after 25 years and once I added the Amitiza, all is well. I am trying to cut back on the laxative now. My doc wants me to take Linzess, but I'm reading how many people are gaining weight. My only complaint with Amitza is the gas, so I am reluctant to take in the morning.

August 15, 2013 10:37 PM
Review by bannanas (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I tried everything. EVERYTHING. Finally, something that works for me, but it took a few days to kick in--probably because I was so constipated. After that, I've have a great experience. Regular for the first time in over 40 years! I would give this a 10 except it does give me a tiny bit of nausea, especially in the morning. It is pretty minor compared to the pain and bloating of chronic constipation. No bloating! The major drawback is the cost and the fact that insurance is so picky about covering it...and will only do so for a limited amount of time.

August 8, 2013 9:18 PM
Review by CaliVirgo (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: Pills are small and easy to take, just be sure to take them with food and that you'll be near a toilet. Going from 1-2 bowel movements a week to 3-4 a day.

July 28, 2013 10:43 PM
Review by Relieved!: User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I absolutely love this medicine. Was so constipated that all I did was sleep. Was miserably "full" with Bowel Motion maybe once every 1 to 2 weeks. Nothing else worked for me. Slight nausea sometimes (which is nothing). My energy level is restored. I thank God for giving man the knowledge to make this medicine.

July 2, 2013 10:19 PM
Review by Central Texas: User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I've always had constipation, and like other patients my doctors always blamed it on me. I've gone up to 2 weeks without a single movement regardless of what amount of fiber I%u2019ve eaten. Needless to say laxatives and herbal supplements have been a part of my daily regime without fail. Though I%u2019ve had a hysterectomy I noticed that around my %u2018period%u2019 time the stimulants didn%u2019t work. I went to the bathroom 2 weeks ago at work and stood up to a very large amount of blood in the toilet. There was no pain or discomfort so I set up an appointment with a doctor immediately. She prescribed Amitiza to me and I%u2019m absolutely stunned that no one offered this to me before. Keeping waste in your body can cause various types of health problems, including lethargy which is a major problem for women anyway. I find my previous health care providers to be irresponsible for allowing this to continue when there was a miracle pill like this. One pill, 1x in the morning, and I%u2019m at the top of the world again. I feel a slight tightening in my chest after I%u2019ve taken it, but it%u2019s so minor that I just thought my seat belt was too tight. I don%u2019t even take it with food.

June 18, 2013 11:35 AM
Review by AMMcC:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I have been on Amitiza for nearly 8 years. I take three tablets 24mcg. daily; however I only take at bedtime. If I for some reason have to take it during the day because I missed my bedtime dose, I get very nauseous, gag and diarrhea. I strongly suggest taking this medicine when you are ready to sleep. The other problem is that I need three tablets daily and it is extremely expensive.

June 5, 2013 11:36 PM
Review by Love Amitiza!: User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've been taking 8mcg Amitiza twice a day, for two months, to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Finally! A Dr. who actually listened to me and provided a solution instead of blaming me for the GI/bowel problems. (i.e., "You need more fiber," "It's your nerves," or "It's caused by the NSAIDS you take."). Almost 40 years of daily chronic painful bloating, constipation & pain under my left ribcage is almost gone, (I'm 50.) It did take a few weeks to adjust to it. By that, I mean: 1.) Discovering that taking Fiber Supplements with the prescription caused painful gas/bloating, 2.) Determining exactly how much food/drink to ingest with each dose, to avoid gas/bloating or a headache & 3.) Remembering to take it with a meal. I'd give it a 10 if there was 0 bloating and no headaches.

May 31, 2013 7:51 PM
Review by Myesha (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I am a 25 year old female. I have been constipated since I was a baby and nobody knew why. I always had to strain to go to the bathroom. As a matter of fact I had to mentally prepare. I had to focus on my breathing to try to cope with the pain and fear of going to the bathroom. Sometimes it would take me 2 hours for nothing. I have used Amitiza for 18 months now AND IF THEY EVER TOOK IT AWAY I WOULD START A RIOT. I go to the bathroom about 4 times a week. No pain,no strain, and its soft and not hard. My stomach is so much flatter. I can see I actually have a shape. I lost 10 pounds of waste the first 2 weeks. I feel lighter and happy. Going to the bathroom is a breeze. Sometimes I get nausea. But the cons are light compared to the pro.

May 24, 2013 11:34 AM
Review by LMSW (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I've had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and chronic constipation my entire life. Now at 23, after exhausting all over the counter and homeopathic remedies to no avail, I've decided to try a prescription. Overall, it works great and I don't plan to get off of it. What I have now is more like diarrhea than anything, but I'll take that over going up to 20 days without a bowel motion any day! I do get nausea about 30 minutes after I take it, and it gives me bad gas sometimes, but none of that is worth getting off of it. If you are seriously about to give up on life because of constipation, this medicine is for you! I recommend. I do also take Metamucil about every other morning, which helps the diarrhea. Also- the website for this product offers a $35 off prescription card.

April 3, 2013 12:11 AM
Review by Bloatless (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome-C and chronic constipation after a C-section. I now take Amitiza 24mcg 2x per day. I've been on it for about 10 months. It works fantastic. I can "go" at least once a day now. Amitiza draws fluid from your body to increase bowel movement (I can actually hear it working) so it is important to drink a lot of water and eat before or immediately after. I've noticed that if I don't drink a lot of water, nausea will develop. In addition, IBS-C has caused me to change my diet and exercise. That helped a lot too. NOTE-- If the prescription costs a lot, even with insurance, Amitiza offers a discount card online.

March 27, 2013 12:41 PM
Review by cbnsdn (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: Amitiza works pretty good. I do still have to take Milk of Magnesia and mineral oil to feel completely emptied out. The severe nausea and headaches are very bothersome and sometimes they are worse than others. The side effects do go away once you have a bowel movement.

March 23, 2013 10:17 AM
Review by rgraves550: User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: I take iron, Levothyroxine, I do not poo normally. I took some Amitiza and I remembered what normal felt like! Quality of life means everything. Pooping comfortably is a must for being happy!

February 15, 2013 11:50 PM
Review by INmommX2 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease as well a Colon issues. My GI started me on Amitiza about 10 days ago. So far it has been great. I do have some cramping a little after a pill but not compared to the constipation cramping that I have had on & off for 15 years. I was lucky he gave me a sample pack good for a month so now I just have to hope my insurance picks it up next month.

February 14, 2013 9:13 PM
Review by Quality of Life!: User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: 45 year old female with diagnosis of Chronic Constipation due to long term use of Med's, to include opioids for pain management. Also, diagnosed of Irritable bowel syndrome, around 8 years ago. When I'm taking this medicine, usually 2-3 times per day, I'm regular with a bowel movement of one to two times a day, depending on my diet and food intake (I eat very little on most days). Whenever I'm not taking this medication, I'm lucky if I'm able to go once over a 3-4 day time frame, even with laxatives, stool softeners, and my daily dose of lactulose syrup. I took Zelnorm about #8 years ago, until it went off the market, but Amitiza works much better, I asked my doctor to prescribe it after seeing a commercial for it, I've done well with it, only side-effect: flatulence.

January 6, 2013 1:42 AM
Review by luisf: User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: Second day on this pill...severe diarrhea. I'm a dialysis patient so constipation is part of many pills. I think still afraid of going, outside thinking in use of restroom, dizziness, and weak. Good for emergencies but still thinking if someday I will be back to normality with no pills at all.

December 26, 2012 3:11 PM
Review by sharut (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: Actually - CIGNA covered this, but I now have United Health Care and they won't cover it unless you have irritable bowel syndrome or idiopathic constipation. I have constipation from M.S. and chronic opioid use and used it for over 4 years twice a day. I'm going to try lactulose but this pill is so much more convenient and for me, works without side-effects. Prior to this, only over-the-counter senna helped, but with cramping side-effects at times and only more than the recommended amount worked.

December 3, 2012 3:34 PM