User Reviews for Lubiprostone

Also known as: Amitiza

Learn more about Lubiprostone.

Constipation, Drug Induced 1 reviews 3 medications

Constipation 3 reviews 239 medications

4.8
Summary of Lubiprostone reviews 109 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Lubiprostone

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have been taking this medicine 24mcg once a day for a week now. Nothing has happened yet. I drink 1 to 2 quarts of water a day, on the fodmap diet, eat tofu, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. Also eat a lot of chicken. I have had no luck so far. I have left 3 messages with my doctors nurse and no call backs yet. I feel bloated, full of gas and feel miserable. So I am stuck taking laxatives, Epson salt enema's or citrate mag (awful tasting stuff ever) then feeling sick all the next day with upset tummy and sitting on the throne off and on all day. I clean myself out about every 3 to 4 days because I feel miserable and sluggish and it starts all over again after cleaning myself out. I have had this IBS-C for about 20yrs now. It ruins my life!"

giget May 13, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been on Rx Miralax for years, due to a two decade long eating disorder. The Miralax works great, but for some reason my GI wanted to put me on Linzess. He gave me samples, and insurance didn't cover it. They said I had to try Amitiza first. The Linzess didn't work (horrible bloating, cramps, no movement), and the Amitiza is almost worse. I had to call out of work today because of it. I was awake all night, up and down, kept getting sick. 14ish hrs after taking the medicine, I'm having very small movements. Strongly debating calling the office and telling them I'm going back on Miralax and that's it."

No Way Rx April 14, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medication is great!! A few years back, I had IBS with diarrhea, but it has since changed to IBS-C. It was so bad. I was always in stomach pain, always felt full, just felt terrible and super backed up. I'm a nurse, so I tried ALL the non-pharmacological remedies for constipation. So after reading all of the reviews, I made a GI appt. Thank god I knew about Amitiza because my doctor tried to send me out the door with some pamphlets! Amitiza is a life saver. Just don't forget to take with meals so you don't feel nauseous."

AmitizaFan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Amitiza is GREAT! My constipation began 11 years ago at the age 20 which caused me to deal with very bad fissures. I hated going to the bathroom. I would be in the bathroom for literally an hour to an hour and a half mentally trying to prepare myself for what would occur. I began taking laxatives every other day just get some relief but yet I still had unhealed fissures. When I finally was prescribed Amitiza I was scared to go to the bathroom as I mentally had to prepare myself and to my surprise it didn't hurt and I felt normal. I wanted to cry. I wasn't in pain. I still tend to feel slight nauseous for little while though I eat with the meds and drink plenty fluids but I will take that over constipation and pain."

T4 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Awesomeness!"

armymom7877 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "After several years of regular constipation and laxative use my doctor prescribed Amitiza. I took it at 6 and by 10:30 it was working. I've been taking 24mg twice daily but I think I'll cut back to only once a day because sometimes I'm nervous about leaving my house. It works too well and very fast. "

holy girl g (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation: "I have chronic constipation. Nothing has helped including Amitiza."

Walon (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation: "I took 24mcg of Amitizia for 6 days twice a day. I got a pretty bad reaction from this. I had dry mouth, lightheadedness, my face was always warm, stomach aches, loss of appetite, severe anxiety, and nausea. I've come to the conclusion that the 24mcgs twice a day was far too much for my body. I weigh 117 pounds, and I don't think my body could handle that amount. If anyone is experiencing these side effects don't take it, make another appointment with your doctor to see if the dosage is too much. Also, if you have had a loss of appetite like myself, make sure to get enough sugar in your system, I had a hypoglycemic attack. Drink ginger ale, or eat if you can."

Neelyy December 28, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation: "I stopped after only taking 2 pills. I developed a slight problem breathing and a rash across my neck and shoulders. Also, I now have unbearable gas pains after taking 2 of these pills a week ago. I am glad that I was only given 4 pills by the pharmacist as they were out so I wasn't charged."

Sunkissed2010 December 23, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I've had chronic constipation all my adult life. Tried Linzess, it worked for a month then stopped. Doctor started me on Amitiza (24 mg) and it is a miracle. I've been on for four months now. After a life of 7-10 days between bowel motions, I now go comfortably 3-4 times per week. No pain, very little gas. It's a miracle for me."

Reconn (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Thank God for modern medicine! Constipation may seem to those who don't suffer from it in its severe form to be a minor issue, it is NOT! When going to the bathroom induces fear and anger because you know that you will spend the next 45 minutes suffering doing what others take for granted it's time to get help. After a year of using Fleets and OTC meds which did nothing I was finally given Amitiza and It was a little miracle. Don't suffer, demand this medication don't let your MD's tell you to take OTC meds which do nothing or next to nothing. I had to suffer a fissure before finally getting this simple solution to a horrible problem. Don't wait until it's a very serious medical problem deal with it now."

Bill M (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Day 2 of taking this medication for chronic constipation. I feel so much better. I would usually take Dulcolax, but it hurts my stomach really badly. This medicine is amazing. So thankful for it."

howardtm (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "I'd never been regular, my whole life, it was always a problem that I was lucky if it resolved itself every 3 or 4 days, but then once I aged and my rheumatoid arthritis advanced to a debilitating degree, I had to go on opiates...oh dear. 7-8 days or even more of being bound up became the norm. It was REALLY painful! The only way I could help myself was to stop taking my pain meds and overdose on laxatives and enemas every few days. That usually worked within 24 hrs, but it really isn't good for you. I finally confessed to my gastroenterologist that this was going on and he prescribed me Amitiza. It took a week to work for me, but now I have the exact opposite problem. I'm on 24 mcg 2x daily. I think maybe it needs to be just once!"

GrandmaKitty April 23, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have tried amitiza and yes it worked and got me to use the bathroom but didn't do very much for my stomach pain. I did get some relief just from going. I also had to take way over recomended dose to get anything significant. "

IBS gone! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Excellent I'm so glad I was given the medication I feel so much better"

Rondellr7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had IBS-C for at least 2 years. In the last year, it has become increasingly worse which resulted in me being diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Like most of you, I could barely go...nothing seemed to help: Miralax, Philips, etc. I was resuming to using enemas a few times a week just to get some relief. Because of this, I was feeling tired all the time, moody and having horrible headaches. It left me feeling awful. I recently started this medicine, and it has been a God-send. I went from never being able to go on my own to at least once a day. I take it with food and water. I read the reviews on here beforehand, so I made sure to follow what others said. The first day I took it, I felt a little nauseous, but haven't since."

Ashley L. March 1, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Bloating was my biggest problem. I felt so bloated I looked pregnant! Nothing helped...and I tried them all until I tried and stayed with Amitiza. It was and is worth the expense."

jackie1117759 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "The first round of 8mcg twice daily produced a bowel movement the next day, but further use has not helped. I will increase the dosage to 16mcg, in hopes it will work once again. From other comments, there seems to be quite a bit of leeway in dosing and in combining with other things to alleviate chronic constipation. I experienced no side effects from the 8mcg twice daily."

details (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation and have tried everything out there. They either didn't work or had ridiculous side effects that outnumbered the advantages. Amitiza is the best medicine I have ever taken. I have very severe constipation and take 24mcg 2x/daily. I went from no bowel motions to going once every other day on average. Advice...take it with food. The only side effect I have is crazy nausea and a horrid headache if I take it on an empty stomach. Also it is very expensive and can have a hefty co-pay. Amitiza has a website where you will get a free card to cover your co-pay. I went from $25 out of pocket to $0!"

Jennay (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "As a survivor of very severe anorexia, I had renal failure and am now not able to produce the correct mucus or "lubrication" in my intestines. This causes bowel movements to be infrequent and painful. Amitiza is a god send. Works just like it should. Was on 16 mcg twice a day but was just put on 24 mcg twice a day with 40mg Zegrid. Not sure which one is causing nausea, but Amitiza never did it before. Has made bowel movements much easier."

Jessi W. (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have been taking this medicine for about two weeks now and I must say it is heaven sent. There's nothing worse than being compacted with waste and having that constipation sensation constantly. What prompted me to invest in this "life saver" was one day like some of you I went to use the restroom and yet again as usual I was constipated so I was frustrated and everything else so I forced my bowel movement and when I finished I was bleeding. I made an appointment with doctor and today I'm so glad I did. So, so, so happy now."

So relieved!!!!! (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "This is the only thing that has worked! A bit of gas, but no problems otherwise. Insurance is not covering it because of the expense, but it is worth the expense to be regular again after years of trying everything under the sun. 24 mcg 2x daily with food and I'm a happy camper!"

happy camper (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have been on laxatives forever. Specifically, Perdiem. I take 3 Perdiem and 1 Amitiza at bedtime and go every morning. The Perdiem (similar to Senokot) was starting to not work as well after 25 years and once I added the Amitiza, all is well. I am trying to cut back on the laxative now. My doc wants me to take Linzess, but I'm reading how many people are gaining weight. My only complaint with Amitza is the gas, so I am reluctant to take in the morning."

mar222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I tried everything. EVERYTHING. Finally, something that works for me, but it took a few days to kick in--probably because I was so constipated. After that, I've have a great experience. Regular for the first time in over 40 years! I would give this a 10 except it does give me a tiny bit of nausea, especially in the morning. It is pretty minor compared to the pain and bloating of chronic constipation. No bloating! The major drawback is the cost and the fact that insurance is so picky about covering it...and will only do so for a limited amount of time. "

bannanas (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Pills are small and easy to take, just be sure to take them with food and that you'll be near a toilet. Going from 1-2 bowel movements a week to 3-4 a day."

CaliVirgo (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2013