Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Synthroid

Learn more about Synthroid.

Synthroid review summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Synthroid to treat Underactive Thyroid

Review by Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 6:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow.

February 6, 2015 5:12 PM

Review by Dubble T (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It's official! My levels are normal and my hair is no longer falling out. Joint pain is also gone.

January 26, 2015 9:28 PM

Review by Dubble t:

I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot.

December 28, 2014 9:04 PM

Review by Mizz Annie:

Had partial thyroid removal with benign tumor 30+ years ago, was OK until about 2 years ago and routine bloodwork showed low thyroid. After 2 years being OK on the medication suddenly the thyroid levels are dropping again, hair falling out, skin is breaking out in itchy red welts, gaining weight, so Dr upped the dosage. A couple weeks on higher dose I feel like I am "wired" in high gear, can't sit still, talking to myself going in circles, and my hot flashes have really really ramped up big time. Dr. says to give it at least 60 preferably 90 days to adjust, not sure I can hold out that long before stopping it. Hoping there is a better solution out there someplace.

October 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by sharonc2006 (taken for 10 years or more):

Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Tia4life:

Although Synthroid keeps my test results "normal" I still have all of the hypothyroid symptoms. Severe exhaustion, sensitivity to cold, trouble concentrating, etc...like I haven't experienced since before I found out I had hypothyroidism. I was only put on Synthroid since the medication I am normally prescribed is no longer available.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2013 8:29 PM

Review by Shahid Rathore:

I am taking Synthroid 0.05 mg (50mcg). Helps me a lot. Very effective in my case.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2013 11:58 PM

Review by Tramag823 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started taking Synthroid about 6 months ago and I feel really good. I went from feeling like a zombie to feeling like my normal self again. Before starting on Synthroid I had most of the typical hypothyroid symptoms...tiredness, dry skin, cold intolerance, puffy face, etc. Now the only symptom that still bothers me is water retention. My Dr. just increased my dose so hopefully that goes away soon.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2013 12:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Only been on this medicine for 4 days and it has already made a huge difference in how I feel. The depression was awful and the intolerance to the cold was bone chilling. I hope things continue to look up. So far so good!

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by Robert2013:

Synthroid saved my life....been taking it for almost four years now. I had all of the worst symptoms in the worst way of a basically dead thyroid. I was feeling better within a week of taking it and continued to feel better and better every day for about the next six months. That's when it leveled off and I've been happy (and grateful) ever since. It took about a year or so to lose all of the weight I gained as a result of crummy thyroid. The weight just came right off after taking Synthroid. I'm on 225Mcg per day with very minimal side effects...so minimal that I can't recall what they are at the moment.

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2013 6:11 PM

Review by gfmissouri (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been taking this medication for almost 22yrs. My thyroid is dead the Dr. said due to child birth. I started out on the lowest dosage. Dr. didn't want to shock my body I had to cut them in half for 2 weeks and then slowly went up from there. I am now taking 200mg now have been for several yrs now. Medication works good for me. If I miss a day I can tell and I feel really tired.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2013 12:29 AM

Review by CMIRE:

I've been taking synthroid for about 3 years. I had to have radiation on my thyroids because they couldn't control levels. It just would go real low than extremely high. I'm on a 300 mg taking mon through to sat. I'm feeling better but it takes a long time before they find the right dosage.

March 6, 2012 12:52 PM

I have found energy again, however I have noticed my full head of hair is now thinning.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2012 9:42 AM

Have been taking thyroid medicines 10 years. I found that the generic version is not adsorbed as well as the synthroid. Went back to brand name a few days ago and am no long tired and my period finally stopped after 3 continuous Weeks. 10 on scale for sure!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2012 1:47 PM

Review by marperez:

Is an excellent medicine. I'm good because of it!

December 5, 2011 2:52 PM

Review by irene2004:

I have been on synthroid for about 7 years. I am 43 now. I still feel very tired, I have no energy. No motivation. My bones feel weak. I have been telling my doctor maybe I need a higher dosage. He said no. I told him maybe I need to change it he said no I'm fine but I know my body. My hair is falling, it's thin. Maybe a new doctor can help me.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2011 11:47 PM

Review by Less Than Human:

Been on this medicine about 9 months after discovering my thyroid was starting to malfunction. I have had no weight gain or mood changes, and not a problem to speak of. My hair stopped falling out so much, it started growing like crazy along with my nails. I know I metabolize food more quickly, I will spare you the details. My skin isn't as dry, and I have been having an easier time with my mood in combination with other medications.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2011 9:27 AM

The only confirmation I have that it works is my blood work. I feel no better or worse on Synthroid. It is very annoying to take. You have to take it in the morning, on an empty stomach, no food for an hour. And for some, no calcium for two hours. Tell me how do you eat breakfast with this medicine!? It does work though, so I gave it an 8.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2011 8:49 AM

I have been taking Synthroid for almost two years. My doctor told me that I might not be able to conceive but I am 15 weeks pregnant. My current doctor told me to take this medicine religiously because this is keeping me pregnant.

May 30, 2011 11:00 AM

Review by Razors Edge:

I started on 25 mcg of Synthroid two weeks ago and it has made me short tempered. The effect is subtle, but its there.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2011 8:29 PM

Review by KFSI:

I have been on Synthroid for over 8 years and have actually gained weight. I have a very healthy lifestyle (exercise for one hour 5 days a week, and eat healthy), but nothing has been working. My endocrinologist consistently increases my prescription and nothing changes. Next time I see her I am going to get on Armour.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2011 11:20 AM

Review by HarleyMomma:

I've been taking Synthroid since October 2010 for my underactive Thyroid and am also a type 2 Diabetic. It is now February 2011 and things are wonderful. After about two weeks, my mood improved. After 6 weeks I was able to get a haircut (prior to this my hair kept breaking off at the ends) and my hair shines again. I've also lost a total of 15.5 pounds and counting. My doctor says it's because the Synthroid has corrected my metabolism. No bad side effects to date (fingers crossed for the future too). I am on a low dose...25mg. Monday through to Friday only...Weekends off.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2011 6:13 PM

Review by shelly 46:

I have been on Levothyroxine for 2 months and was switched to Synthroid for another 2 months. I know it hasn't been long but it is driving my body crazy. Here's how: The Levothyroxine made my hands and feet swell badly so my doctor suggested switching to brand Synthroid well now my face and jaws are swelling. I went to the emergency room they did a CT Scan and said it was swelling in my tissue. But my doctor is insisting the medicine is not the cause and to stay on it.

July 23, 2010 10:07 PM