User Reviews for Synthroid

Learn more about Synthroid.

Synthroid Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Underactive Thyroid.

Reviews for Synthroid to treat Underactive Thyroid

"I been taking .025 MG everyday for two months.... I was not sure why I was taking it... I know I had a super low sex drive n now have a high sex drive whereas I have to relieve my self two to three times a day... I get very horny for no reason n notice my sperm is more thicker n I'm producing a lot more now...."

lilcal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"I had a blood test 3 weeks ago and I knew something was wrong. The doctor prescribed this to me. I don't know my numbers. I'm taking 25 mcg. I was tired before but now I feel like I'm dead. Too bad you can't take this medicine at night. I never had a puffy face, but the cold bothered me a little . Very dry skin that developed over the winter. I used to have Addison's Disease, which was easier to check with a simple prick of the finger."

Just started Synthroid 2 days ago (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

"Synthroid gave me horrible migraines, two to three a week. Nothing seemed to alleviate them except getting off of the medication"

Missyrue (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2015

"While it brought the TSH into the appropriate range, the exhaustion, lethargy, constipation, etc. was unbearable. For 20 hours out of the day, felt drowsy, unmotivated and sleepy. This is no way to live. Got on Tirosint and what a difference."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

"I began taking my Synthroid three weeks ago and I feel great. First I began breaking my 25 mcg pills into quarters and started out taking only a 1/4 pill. I do this in the morning with a glass of water. I am now taking one 25 mcg pill. My sleeping has improved, I have more energy, my skin looks better and my face does not look tired,. I refused to take this drug initially when I was first diagnosed in 2011 because of a bad scare taking the generic brand, so I let my new meds sit for six months before trying this brand. It works wonders for me and being a life-long gym and karate guy, I have more energy to do laps in the pool and do weights too. I have taken iodine and it works ok, but nothing like my Synthroid. Time will tell."

sd21 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2015

"It allowed me to at least sleep better & I don't bruise as easy anymore...but it didn't relieve my swollen ankles, increase my energy, or start my hair to regrow."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2015

"It's official! My levels are normal and my hair is no longer falling out. Joint pain is also gone."

Dubble T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 26, 2015

"I love that Synthroid has almost lowered my TSH and I'm feeling better. Though I am always hungry and eating a lot."

Dubble t December 28, 2014

"Had partial thyroid removal with benign tumor 30+ years ago, was OK until about 2 years ago and routine bloodwork showed low thyroid. After 2 years being OK on the medication suddenly the thyroid levels are dropping again, hair falling out, skin is breaking out in itchy red welts, gaining weight, so Dr upped the dosage. A couple weeks on higher dose I feel like I am "wired" in high gear, can't sit still, talking to myself going in circles, and my hot flashes have really really ramped up big time. Dr. says to give it at least 60 preferably 90 days to adjust, not sure I can hold out that long before stopping it. Hoping there is a better solution out there someplace."

Mizz Annie October 27, 2014

"Reading all the posts/comments on here - PEOPLE - if you are still feeling bad and not noticing relief from symptoms of an underactive thryoid PLEASE TELL YOUR doctor. If your doctor disagrees with you then find an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to get a second opinion. They specialize in endocrine issues which the thyroid falls under. You know your own body better than your doctor - research the symptoms of an underactive thryoid and if you are still feeling them - then get a second opinion. Never stop taking this medication on your own, it takes 4 to 6 And be aware that when you start this m weeks to notice a difference in your body. Also, ask your doctor to write DISPENSE AS WRITTEN on your prescription to avoid the pharmacy giving generic"

sharonc2006 (taken for 10 years or more) January 19, 2014

157 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Although Synthroid keeps my test results "normal" I still have all of the hypothyroid symptoms. Severe exhaustion, sensitivity to cold, trouble concentrating, etc...like I haven't experienced since before I found out I had hypothyroidism. I was only put on Synthroid since the medication I am normally prescribed is no longer available."

Tia4life August 22, 2013

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am taking Synthroid 0.05 mg (50mcg). Helps me a lot. Very effective in my case."

Shahid Rathore July 14, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking Synthroid about 6 months ago and I feel really good. I went from feeling like a zombie to feeling like my normal self again. Before starting on Synthroid I had most of the typical hypothyroid symptoms...tiredness, dry skin, cold intolerance, puffy face, etc. Now the only symptom that still bothers me is water retention. My Dr. just increased my dose so hopefully that goes away soon."

Tramag823 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2013

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Only been on this medicine for 4 days and it has already made a huge difference in how I feel. The depression was awful and the intolerance to the cold was bone chilling. I hope things continue to look up. So far so good!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2013

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Synthroid saved my life....been taking it for almost four years now. I had all of the worst symptoms in the worst way of a basically dead thyroid. I was feeling better within a week of taking it and continued to feel better and better every day for about the next six months. That's when it leveled off and I've been happy (and grateful) ever since. It took about a year or so to lose all of the weight I gained as a result of crummy thyroid. The weight just came right off after taking Synthroid. I'm on 225Mcg per day with very minimal side effects...so minimal that I can't recall what they are at the moment."

Robert2013 March 11, 2013

197 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for almost 22yrs. My thyroid is dead the Dr. said due to child birth. I started out on the lowest dosage. Dr. didn't want to shock my body I had to cut them in half for 2 weeks and then slowly went up from there. I am now taking 200mg now have been for several yrs now. Medication works good for me. If I miss a day I can tell and I feel really tired."

gfmissouri (taken for 10 years or more) February 2, 2013

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been taking synthroid for about 3 years. I had to have radiation on my thyroids because they couldn't control levels. It just would go real low than extremely high. I'm on a 300 mg taking mon through to sat. I'm feeling better but it takes a long time before they find the right dosage."

CMIRE March 6, 2012

"I have found energy again, however I have noticed my full head of hair is now thinning. "

Anonymous February 28, 2012

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been taking thyroid medicines 10 years. I found that the generic version is not adsorbed as well as the synthroid. Went back to brand name a few days ago and am no long tired and my period finally stopped after 3 continuous Weeks. 10 on scale for sure!"

Anonymous February 20, 2012

"Is an excellent medicine. I'm good because of it!"

marperez December 5, 2011

"I have been on synthroid for about 7 years. I am 43 now. I still feel very tired, I have no energy. No motivation. My bones feel weak. I have been telling my doctor maybe I need a higher dosage. He said no. I told him maybe I need to change it he said no I'm fine but I know my body. My hair is falling, it's thin. Maybe a new doctor can help me."

irene2004 October 27, 2011

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been on this medicine about 9 months after discovering my thyroid was starting to malfunction. I have had no weight gain or mood changes, and not a problem to speak of. My hair stopped falling out so much, it started growing like crazy along with my nails. I know I metabolize food more quickly, I will spare you the details. My skin isn't as dry, and I have been having an easier time with my mood in combination with other medications."

Less Than Human September 11, 2011

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The only confirmation I have that it works is my blood work. I feel no better or worse on Synthroid. It is very annoying to take. You have to take it in the morning, on an empty stomach, no food for an hour. And for some, no calcium for two hours. Tell me how do you eat breakfast with this medicine!? It does work though, so I gave it an 8."

Anonymous August 16, 2011

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Synthroid for almost two years. My doctor told me that I might not be able to conceive but I am 15 weeks pregnant. My current doctor told me to take this medicine religiously because this is keeping me pregnant. "

Anonymous May 30, 2011

"I started on 25 mcg of Synthroid two weeks ago and it has made me short tempered. The effect is subtle, but its there."

Razors Edge May 23, 2011