User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Levonorgestrel review summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Emergency Contraception.

Reviews for Levonorgestrel to treat Emergency Contraception

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): Had unprotected sex the day after my period ended. Took the pill within 35 hours after sex. Experienced headaches and tender breasts for the next week or more. Then nothing really. The week of my next period there was a very light flow of a dark red, clumpy discharge. I thought it was spotting and it lasted about 2.5 days. Then nothing for a day. Then I had the worst headache ever and stayed in bed for hours. Later realized this was my period and it had been right on time. No pregnancy.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 9:47 AM
Review by Sss3345: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel): I took Plan B about 26 hours after sex and was crazy paranoid because I was ovulating when the insident occurred. For almost two weeks I had fatigue, extreme nausea, swollen and tender breast, but then my period came two days early! Period is normal, not heavier or lighter! Plan B does work, but I wouldn't advise taking it often. All those hormones will make you feel absolutely crazy.

April 12, 2014 10:07 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel): Plan B is no joke. It is effective so don't stress if you have taken it within the 72 hours and make sure you rest up. I took it during the time of ovulation about 28 hours after I had a birth control mishap. I had no side effects and got my period about 5 days after (a week before my regular period).

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 4:52 PM
Review by Its works!: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex April 1. We were so scared we waited 24 hours to get the pill. What can I say I had no symptoms at all my period comes the 22 of every month and today is Apr 8 and I got it!! I got it so early and very light I usually have it very heavy and I'm happy.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 8, 2014 1:42 PM
Review by Not preggers: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend last week and took the Plan B One-Step the day after and I got my period today. And I'm so happy I got my period today! So definitely look into this. It's way better than being pregnant.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 2, 2014 4:20 PM
Review by SMGApril12014: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel): I realized I had been with my partner on a very fertile day, about 14 days before my period was due. I panicked and took Plan B about 20-24 hours later. I was able to buy it at Rite Aid over the counter, which was a relief! I took the pill and had no side effects until about the time my period was due, and then I got a migraine aura twice in a day. Very scary, but I am prone to migraine auras when my hormones change. I figured my period was very close, but it didn't come. I had no other symptoms except maybe slight nausea. Finally, 6 days later I started spotting and having cramps. Hallelujah! I've never been happier to get my period. It was 6 days late. So don't worry - this medication DOES work.

April 1, 2014 12:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel): I have taken Plan B 3 times so far and has worked every time. First time in July 2012 I had unprotected sex took Plan B 4 hours later and got my period with no delay on the exact day I was supposed to get it. The second time in September 2013 I just finished having my period on 8/20 and had protected sex on 9/4, the condom broke so I took Plan B 2 hrs later and got my period 2 weeks early on 9/9. The third time I took it was March 2014. Had a condom break so I took Plan B on 3/21, 4 hrs later. I was suppose to get my period on 4/2/14 but got it yesterday it came 3 days early. Never been so happy to see my period. If you are worried that the pill may not work don't be! It does work when you take it writhing the 72 hour time frame.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2014 11:09 AM
Review by TMI: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel): My first time taking Plan B, I took it 6 hours after the condom got stuck inside me, (I was so worried, I didn't sleep well that night) After taking it, I didn't experience any side effects, and didn't bleed or anything, and I got my period right on schedule. It did its job! But the second time around, (Yes, it happened again -_-) I took Plan B 20 minutes after, and I started bleeding a week later, looks like my regular period, but my regular period is scheduled to come in 3 weeks, so, I know Plan B worked, and it's normal to bleed a couple days after taking it. Now all that's left is to wait for my period to come.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2014 1:21 AM
Review by Very Happy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): Had unprotected sex with my girlfriend and she took the Plan B pill the day after, like 13 hours later. I couldn't sleep and I was very nervous. She got her period a week later, It was heavy, which I guess is also a good thing haha. If your reading these reviews to make you feel better, I've been in your shoes. Just have faith in it, it'll work don't worry.

March 25, 2014 7:41 PM
Review by regret (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): This pill definitely works. My initial cycle started 7 days after I took the pill. I ended up having two periods Last month because of the pill. I received my next period about 6 weeks after I took the pill. I had no side effects at all! However, it changed my period completely. My flow isn't heavy as it used to and it still has this dry blood appearance (dark red instead of the normal color of blood). Its also more fluidy or watery than the usual blood. All in all, my worry is that my body did not take this pill as well as others.

March 22, 2014 10:51 AM
Review by shopgal71 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Next Choice (levonorgestrel): I took this on March the 7th, after having a condom break. My gynecologist is the one who suggested this pill. I took it about 12 hours after the broken condom, so I was well within range. At first, I was nervous thinking about the worse case scenario. Within one week of taking the pill, I noticed a brownish type of discharge. I had heard about this from other reviews so I wasn't too worried. Then for the next four days, my body felt very premenstrual. Then today, I got my period. It is a week early, but I will take it. I would recommend this to anyone needing emergency birth control. It is $50 but well worth it. You have to get it from the pharmacist with an ID. Just one pill. I will definitely be going back on the pill full time!

March 11, 2014 11:16 PM
Review by Happy ! THANK YOU GOD. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): On January 21, the condom broke. My boyfriend purchased it the next day. I took the pill about 18 hours later. Immediately I started to experience side effects like headaches, cramps & body aches. After a week my side effects was light cramping & mild headaches. I got my period today ! My period usually comes round the first week of every month; So im a couple days late. I never been so happy to be in so much pain. I normally have bad cramps so this is nothing new. Be patient & dont stress.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2014 3:06 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): I had unprotected sex took Plan B next day. The only symptoms I had was breast tenderness for a day and slight cramping pain. But the product works I got my period I was so stressed out because I seriously didn't want to get pregnant. Prayed everyday that this product work and it did.

March 9, 2014 3:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): If you are worried this pill doesn't work, don't be! Condom broke accidentally 2 days before I was supposed to ovulate. My man drove me to store and took the pill 10 hrs after incident. I was worried my weight would have an effect on the effectiveness of the pill, but no worries. We pulled through. Had minimal side effects. It just made me feel sleepy for about 1 week.

March 2, 2014 7:46 PM
Review by Yay4me (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): I had unprotected sex right on the day of ovulation. I mean dead smack on when I was fertile. I took the pill 2 hours later and had NO SYMPTOMS whatsoever. I had to wait a whole 2 weeks for my period to come and I was afraid the pill wasn't going to work since I was really fertile. But 2 weeks later, on the EXACT day I was supposed to get my period, I got it! So this pill works! Phew! Relieved!

February 27, 2014 11:55 PM
Review by Kaayy: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): My period ended Jan 26th and I had sex Feb 3rd. The second my boyfriend realized the condom broke we jumped in the car and got the Plan B pill which I took immediately (45min after sex). During the time the condom broke and took plan B I was ovulating (according to my period tracker app and physical signs). I got my period on the exact day I was scheduled to get it (two weeks after sex). I also took a pregnancy test which came back negative. Such a relief. Plan B made me very lethargic and sick to my stomach for about two weeks. So happy with the product. If you took it and are still freaking out... Don't!

February 18, 2014 9:45 PM
Review by no namer: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): I took Plan B like 2 years ago and about a week after taking the pill I got my period. I have to emphasis that I took the pill within 3 hours of having unprotected sex. However in October 2013 we had unprotected sex and waited 48 hrs to take the pill. I never got my period and I ended up getting pregnant even though I took the pill. Like I said this pill works but the sooner you take the more likely it will work.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 18, 2014 12:13 AM
Review by Kat1997: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): I took Plan-B after having unprotected sex right after my period ended. He got it for me to ease both our minds. Within a week of taking the pill, I had some side effects, like headaches and dizziness. After 7 days I received an early period. It was painful, and I had bad cramps. I was worried at first because I had just had my period, but Plan-B and you guys reviews all said bleeding and irregular periods were a common system. It really worked! So no worries if this happens to you! I will suggest no intercourse until you get your next period just in case, and a pregnancy test to ease your mind.

February 15, 2014 8:44 AM
Review by ms annie:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): This pill really works took it 36 hrs after unprotected sex. I was scared 2 weeks later due to pregnancy symptoms, like swollen breasts and did not get my period until the next month. But after 3 negative pregnancy tests and a period finally my cycle is back to normal.

February 13, 2014 9:24 PM
Review by not prego (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel): I took the pill 21hrs later, about $55 at Walgreens. These are the symptoms I experienced that may/may not be related to pill: fatigue, hormonal, severe chin breakouts, slight breast tenderness, stiffness in lower right hip. I got my period this morning, 2 days late. So yay it worked!

February 13, 2014 10:01 AM
Review by Lalalee: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel): I had protected sex but we thought the condom may have broken so we went to the pharmacy and took the pill within 2 hours of having sex. Even though the condom may have not broken the wait was too long. I got my period 3 days late and it is more painful than usual but definitely worth taking the precaution just in case.

February 11, 2014 10:59 PM
Review by KyLeone (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): February 7, 2014 my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex. We were very worried. I decided to get Plan B from Walgreens 7 hours after sex and 3 days later I got my period.

February 10, 2014 12:24 PM
Review by Amber8282: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel): I had a condom break 5 days before my period was due. I took Plan B the next morning, about 10-11 hours after the accident. My period was two days late - the day before arrived I spotted light brown all day. I used it once before in a similar situation 3 years ago, around the same time of my cycle. That time, my period was a week late. It is hard waiting, but it seems like this pill works. It does cause a more painful period than normal, but it's worth it in an emergency!

February 2, 2014 2:30 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): The condom broke on Saturday night and we didn't realize it until much later that night. I was completely freaking out so I made him go buy me the Plan B pill. I took the pill around 13 hours after sex. I don't think I've ever been that scared in my entire life. (Way too young to have a child) After taking this pill, I got sharp stomach pains. And 3 hours after I took it I experienced sore breasts that were so sore that I couldn't ever wear a t-shirt. This pain lasted for 3-4 days. The days went on and my period tracker (if you don't have one I suggest you download one) indicated that I was 3 days late for my period. I finally got it and I've never been so happy! So glad I took this pill. I recommend this pill.

February 2, 2014 3:12 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel): I had sex on the 18th of January and the condom slipped. I took this pill to be safe and did nothing but stress myself out waiting for my period and experienced some stomach aches, slight cramping, and nausea. So happy to say that I got my period yesterday, around the time I should have gotten it! Reading these positive reviews really helped calm my nerves.

February 1, 2014 9:06 PM