User Reviews for Lupron

Hirsutism 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lupron reviews 21 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Lupron

Review by walking dead....... (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Prostate Cancer: I was 50, had my prostate removed then let it go at 55. Had a PSA above 400, my weight dropped to 105lbs thought I was going to die then had 15 radaiaton treatments and started Lupron shots. PSA dropped, I came back to life now I an 63 still getting Lupron shots every 6 months sure there are some side effects but its better than being dead if you have cancer. I hope something works for you.

March 5, 2014 2:07 PM

Review by Mom with regrets! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Endometriosis: My daughter(19) was given Lupron immediately after surgery to remove endometriosis.. The doctor came to us right as she was in recovery and said she was giving her Lupron to suppress the cause. No explanation of side effects...how I regret it. She had to leave college...and the pain, weight gain, lack of concentration, etc have been traumatic for us all. It takes YEARS to get this out of your system! I regret EVERY day that I let this happen to my daughter. I should have asked the questions, but I trusted the doctor.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 3:15 PM

Review by Mrs Murf (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Endometriosis: I was given the three month injection in July 2012, with no mention of the potential side effects. I have been off lupron for over one year and still have debilitating bone/joint and muscle pain. I have had significant hair loss, short term memory problems and depression. My physical disabilities mean I will probably have to give up work. It is disgraceful that this drug was given to me with no discussion around these life changing side effects. I'm worse now than before I started!!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 1:09 PM

Review by Conmgr (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Prostate Cancer: Have been on Lupron for about 2 years and my stage 4 prostate cancer is now in remission. My prostate cancer specialist gets all the credit and kept side effects to a minimum with the help of other meds and supplements. I recommend Lupron.

October 2, 2013 9:34 PM

Review by FutureMomHopefully:

For Endometriosis: I was diagnosed with fibroids twice, ovarian cyst 8cm big, and endometriosis. I'm going to take my third dose in two weeks and I was prescribed this medicine for six months. Pros- after the first injection no periods! 5 months without a period was right up my ally being I had been bleeding so much for so long, I needed the break. Cons- If you eat salty food or heavy carbs you feel like you are going to throw up. Hot & cold flashes, sweats, stiff joints, joint pain, headaches, sleeplessness/severe insomnia, dry skin & dry eyes. I could go on, but I'm doing this to rid myself of ongoing bleeding, pain, and infertility. It's worth it to stick it out if it really works, I don't know if it does yet, but I know I'm not bleeding.

April 17, 2013 10:44 PM

Review by 1968gto (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Prostate Cancer: I have been on Lupron for two years. I got my last shot in December. It has kept my PSA under .03. Can't wait to see if it is still that low after 3 months! You learn to live with the side effects.

February 26, 2013 9:54 AM

Review by blessedhighfavor (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Prostate Cancer: I got this shot about two years ago. I was told by the urologist that it was a one month shot. I had the shot becaue we wanted some time to research and decide what treatment would be best. Found out later that it was a 3 month shot! Suffered severe side effects! PSA dropped from 13 to 7, but the side effects were NOT worth it! Hot flashes with some of them causing me to nearly pass out were often (20 a day), memory problems, muscle/joint pain and on and on! Once, while teaching I suddenly didn't know where I was or what I was doing! After radiation I was recently put on Trelstar on a MONTHLY basis, nearly the same side effects but NOT the really bad ones!

December 18, 2012 10:16 AM

Review by SandraCa (taken for less than 1 month):

For Female Infertility: EXTREME HEADACHES!! Lupron - I started the medication 5 days ago and starting on day 3 I began getting really bad headaches and it doesn't seem to ever go away. I cannot take Advil so I'm not sure if that would help. I tried taking a nap but I wake up and it's still there. Never had this problem before so I'm certain it's the Lupron. Other than that I have no other complaints.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2012 11:59 AM

Review by kf7711 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Endometriosis: I was on Lupron twice for endometriosis. The first time I had hot flashes and headaches, after I got off they went away. The second time I had the same side effects, except when I got off of Lupron the headaches did not go away and turned into migraines. Now I have had migraines for 16 years since being off of Lupron. I was never plagued with headaches before Lupron. My doctor said I always had the trigger for migraines and Lupron flipped the switch on. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken a different approach to treating my endometriosis. Having endometriosis and migraines together was worse. Now I'm in menopause and going through everything to the nth degree.

July 20, 2012 9:22 AM

For Prostate Cancer: My cancerous prostate was removed when I was 65, 6 years ago. I receive a 22.5 mg Lupron injection about every 3 months. My PSA decreases each time from about 2 to undectable. The injection area is sore for 2-3 days after each injection. I have perhaps a dozen relatively minor hot flashes daily. I take 4 venlafaxine hcl 75 mg tablets daily to curtail hot flashes.

June 11, 2012 5:42 PM

For Endometriosis: I have been on the Lupron shot now 5 months. I have had no periods or period associated pain since the second month. There is some minor pain and irritation at the injection site for a day or two after the shot. I have had pretty intense hot flashes and night sweats, minor joint and muscle pain, but the worst for me has been the massive headaches. I am taking another medication now to help with those. I would still recommend the shot if your endometriosis is severe, the side effects still aren't as bad as the pain I was in before. Trying to hang in there for another 4 months.

February 18, 2012 11:36 PM

Review by mdo333:

For Prostate Cancer: Had 1st shot 11/10/11, PSA was at 182, tested 3 weeks later, PSA had dropped to 3.3. Have prostate, metastatic bone and lymphatic cancer. This combined with radiation therapy, greatly improved my mobility (pelvis, hips fully involved, as well as on and inside spine). Side effects are hot flashes and night sweats, but other than that manageable for the relief I've gotten.

January 4, 2012 10:48 PM

Review by Inline Don:

For Prostate Cancer: Recently received my first Lupron injection. Within one week my PSA dropped from 69.7 to 11. I have not noticed any severe side effects a of today. I am also starting Alendronate Sodium tablet for healthier bones.

December 30, 2011 12:03 PM

Review by Mikeymini:

For Prostate Cancer: Got a shot of it on Friday, some soreness on Saturday; but saw immediate results of reduced urgency to void every hour, sometimes 4-5 times per hour, depending on consumption of liquid. Some sensitivity to right side of groin and scrotum. Seemed like it might be some blockage in semen tubing or possibly the medication impacting the two lymph nodes that showed some cancer invasion. Now it is Tuesday evening and the sensitivity on the right side groin is minimal. It is really amazing how fast the medication impacted the symptoms. I got a 3 month shot and expect to do a blood draw in 6 weeks to evaluate the impact on the PSA levels. So far so good.

October 18, 2011 11:13 PM

For Endometriosis: I started the Lupron at the beginning of the summer, April 2011 to be exact. The only side effect I can say I had trouble with was the hot flashes but nothing unbearable and usually over pretty quick. The first 3-4 weeks after an injection, I would have issues with vaginal dryness but again, nothing unbearable. I had no mood swings or crazy headaches but I have been constantly plagued with headaches since I was a child so I wouldn't know if this had any effect on those. Overall, it has been a totally bearable experience and the hot flashes were nothing compared to the pain I had before the Lupron. I would suggest it if your endometriosis is bad enough.

October 3, 2011 3:16 PM

For Endometriosis: This is my fourth month into the Lupron cycle. I have endometriosis. Have no period, NO PAIN. I do get some hot flashes and a little weight gain but that is the least of my problems on the shot. It is the joint pain. It is the worst in the morning when I get out of bed. My hands, legs and feet are the worst. It is not so bad throughout the day. But when I sit for sometime then get up again the pain starts all over.

August 16, 2011 11:44 PM

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: After surgery and radiation therapy, I was unable to take Tamoxifen, so I got a 1-month shot of Lupron to prevent a recurrence of breast cancer. I had no symptoms, so I got the 3-month shot and immediately had problems. I expected the bad hot flashes and dryness, but wasn't prepared for the severe bone pain and muscle pain. I'm used to dealing with pain, but this was extreme. By the end of the 3-mos, the bone pain was gone, but the muscle pain and injection site soreness was still there. I got another 1-mo shot and have been doing better. Now I have unexplained swelling/soreness in my left hand.

August 2, 2011 9:02 PM

For Prostate Cancer: Second injection started night and day sweats. This has increased to every 2-3 hrs during the day - less frequency at night. Dropped my PSA from 30 to .07 post prostate removal. Time on medication - 6 months.

April 18, 2011 11:43 PM

For Uterine Fibroids: Side effects experienced from 3-month shot: hot flashes, night sweats, fatigue, cognitive "fuzziness", decreased memory. I experienced a significant temporary reduction in fibroid size/abdomen size (pre-surgery).

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2011 7:55 PM

For Endometriosis: I just finished my 3 month course of shots. The first two months were not to bad but the third month has taken its toll on me. I can deal with the hot flashes but the joint pain has become very intense. The pain is disruptive where my hands are aching all the time. It keeps me up at night time then lack of sleep becomes a problem. I wish they would suggest a joint therapy program for you to take if you need because its not like you can just call up your doctor and see him right away.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2009 8:16 AM

Review by clauscn:

For Prostate Cancer: I have been receiving Lupron or Eligard every 6 months for ten years to help reduce the growth of prostate cancer. Early research reports indicated that one side effect might be peripheral neuropathy. That started to develop in my feet shortly after I was put on Lupron. Loss of bone mass has also been associated with Lupron. I have begun taking 1200 units of calcium VitaminD each day. My PSA scores have all continued to be below .1. I have no major complaints, and have learned to live with the side effects.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2009 5:16 PM

Review by DonAlonso:

For Prostate Cancer: While I do believe it has lengthened by life, the side effects are difficult to deal with. I am extremely sun sensitive, also have a rash on my wrists that doesn't go away.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2009 4:53 PM