User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Accutane Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 453 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Accutane to treat Acne

"I just started accutane two weeks ago 10mg a day and this is a miracle in a pill !! I had large painful inflamed acne along my jawline. After the first day the inflammation was GONE! The second day my acne basically fell out of my pores. I do experience dry lips , itchy skin, dry eyes, and hair loss but its worth it . Also it is giving my skin a chance to heal and I don't know why but some report SCARRING but for me it made my scars and even stretch marks deminish. I think I the perfect ccandidate for the drug. If one has inflammatory acne this is the drug to take ."

Celeste Douglas (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

"I am using this medicine since June 2015 and it's really helped to clear my face, this medicine has been the last choice after using many other solutions for acne but none of them solved my problem . I was afraid to take Accutane because of it's side effects but it dose worth to take it ."

Sam.Sh83 August 15, 2015

"Please take time to read this. Accutane was 100% effective for me but you really have to be prepared for it. I took Accutane for 8 months- 40mg then 20mg then 10mg. The reason I am mentioning this is that I noticed that people start at very high doses. So if you are worried (and I recommend), take it slow and start at a lower dose. Accutane has a lot of side effects (the severity depends on numerous factors including dosage). My side effects included mood swings and dry skin (especially lips). I used to cry on the smallest things ever and I got sad very easily. It got better with time but please be well-prepared. You really have to make priorities and ask yourself if it is worth it and if you are able to handle it. I chose Accutane :)"

Accutane. August 13, 2015

"I used Accutane when I was 12. It worked perfectly. It worth every penny even considering the price is kind of high. I'm now 30 and I have to do it again.... yeah, acne can be a real pain in the butt but in a couple of months, it will be over."

Doumbet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2015

"I have struggled with acne for years now, and after going through many different topical creams and cleansers, my derm finally prescribed me this pill. It really helped clear up my acne, but a month after I stopped using it, my acne came back . Albeit the acne was much less and just a little whitehead here and there but it was still disappointing. I had a lot of negative side effects while using including: increased redness in the face, increased sensitivity to sun, rashes on arms and hands and dryness of lips and skin. Overall, it got rid of most of my acne which was a godsend, but the side effects were nasty and I still have little whiteheads here and there. But my self confidence sky rocketed and I feel much better after taking it."

KrickettNM July 30, 2015

"I am starting my second month on Accutane. I did a lot of research before, and watched tons of YouTube videos and searched for the products I needed before going on this. As a woman, you have to do extra steps, like blood draws and pregnancy tests, but it is all wroth it, to me. My skin looks amazing. I don't need hardly any makeup. I have minimal side effects: of course my lips are dry as hell, but if you stay on top of this from the very beginning and never let them start cracking, you should be good. I am on 60 mg per day. I use lanolin and Bite Beauty Agave lip mask for my lips and these are amazing. Best staying power out of the many things I've tried. Also, I have hard stools :( (TMI, sorry). But other than that I am very happy!"

thobr26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

"I have struggle with acne since 7th grade and my acne has always been my biggest insecurity. I am now 20 years old and have been on different medications, used different topical creams, and every moisturizer and face wash out there. My doctor finally prescribed me accutane and it is a miracle pill. The only side effect I experience was dry lips but it was worth it because my acne is gone. I would recommend this to anyone because it works and I have never been so confident"

PKELLS (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2015

"I want to start off by saying, this is a miracle pill. I've suffered from acne since I have been in 7th grade (12yrs). I remember running into bathroom stalls to powder my face. Only hoping one day i would pass the "puberty" phase. However, here I was 19 graduating high school with worse acne. After years of treatment such as tropicals & numerous antibiotics I decided to take on accutane. Two months into accutane, I am leaving my house with JUST BBCream. No concealer, no powder NOTHING. I wake up & look into the mirror & feel like crying from happiness. It's been two month & I have another 3 to go. My journey has only begun and I can't believe these results. Only con is the chapped/dry lips. If you ask me it's all worth it"

19 yr old Female July 15, 2015

"This drug is magical - a cure all! I'm 25 and have dealt with acne of varying degrees since I was 11 (trying pretty much every medication/scrub/wash/cream/etc out there) and for the first time in my life after 7 months of treatment I no longer experience breakouts and can genuinely feel good about myself without wearing makeup in public. I experienced zero negative side-effects and strongly recommend!"

Anonymous July 13, 2015

"My experience with accutane is life changing my story will literally change lives for the simple fact that I am a kid that lived the same nightmare each and every high school kid has experienced at least once in there life and the fact that I can share what I did and that it could help millions of people is heartwarming I wish I could post pictures because this story just doesn't do it justice"

Noah07 July 12, 2015

"For years I dealt with acne on my face, chest, and back.. I was so insecure, I hated taking close up pictures, I hated wearing clothes that showed my back or chest. It just sucked. My dermatologist prescribed me to Accutane and within two weeks I seen a major difference. I will say, it gets worse before it gets better because it brings all your bumps to a head. But once your pores are dried out, your bumps will be gone. My lips got really dry fast so I had to apply chapstick constantly throughout my day. That was two years ago, i get a bump every now and then like normal people. But my skin is clear. Accutane changed my life :)"

I Beat Acne (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

"Accutane has saved my life. My acne surfaced around 22 years old and from then on I've tried every salicylic and benzol product, retin-a and every other topical product from the dermatologist, and oral antibiotic known to mankind and nothing worked. I started accutane, now just starting month 4, and I have NO pimples! Only minimal scarring, but who cares as long as I don't have disgusting bumps and whiteheads all over my face! If you can get over the crazy dryness and chapped lips 24/7 you will be good. No joke I used to be able to count anywhere from 10-20 pimples on my face, now I am clear!!!! I'm so scared because I need to stop accutane a month early and pray my acne doesn't come back:("

Kaylaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

"I would most definitely reccomend Accutane! the stuff is brilliant!!! i am 18 and have experienced bad skin for almost 2 years, i was constantly paranoid and unhappy and now i wake up instantly in a good mood, the side effects can be quite painful as i had very dry lips and dry patches all over my arms but they are only temporary and defo worth it!"

Anonymous June 9, 2015

"I am in my 5th month with this medicine and my face is flawless and I love it-but it did come at a cost. My side effects are bad - I have horrible joint pain, temper/anger issues, dry skin on my nose, chapped lips constantly and patches of dry skin all over my body... The pain in my body is my biggest complaint- somedays I can barely move, my feet and my back hurt the most with the 80mg dosage and my ability to control my temper pretty much goes out the window...but I know I'm almost done, so I don't want to change a thing. But overall, my face cleared up on my 4th month and that's all I wanted. I'm so happy on how clear it is- but I will be even happier to not be in so much pain."

Lady10101 May 18, 2015

"I was on accutane treatment for 3 months, and finally after 2 years experience trying, depression of humiliation , disappointment and despair , it finally worked out.. My skin is flawless. I'm over the moon. My friends , they noticed it and it was kinda funny cause nobody ever talk about my acne to me. Sadly, it only last for 4 months before my cystic acne come out again which was worse than before. I want to start on accutane again but I was too afraid of the side effects. Then , I found out about COD liver oil. It is basically a natural source of Vitamin A and D unlike in accutane. Now, after 1 months , my cystic acne finally cleared up! Now there's only scars. I'm telling you guys , this stuff is miracle. You should really consider it"

stargirl1994 May 8, 2015

"If anyone were to ask me what's the best way to get rid of acne, I would say accutane. Granted every person/ skin type is different so results vary for every individual, but accutane has been a wonder drug for me. From age 12-18 I had struggled with acne and had been prescribed many ointments, creams, and different brands of "the pill", I purchased off the counter brands, performed home remedies, and nothing had work. If you have had many failed attempts of curing your acne, I highly suggest to go to your dermatologist and personally ask to be put on accutane. I promise it will make you want to enjoy and embrace life instead of constantly knowing the patterns on floors and never knowing the colors of your classmates eyes."

Hulers (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2015

"The side-effects suck. I would get a bloody nose at least 5 times a day, my lips would peel and get blisters, and my arms would get rashes. But it was all worth it. Accutane is amazing. I am so thankful for it. I had acne for 6 years and I tried everything you could imagine to try and clear my face up. Now after 4 long months, I am just now taking my last pill. I go to the mirror and I don't see a pimple, scar, or even a red mark on my face. my self-esteem has improved so much. I would definitely recommend it."

Randy J (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

"I started getting spots when I was about 12 and it was pretty bad acne by around 15. I went on the pill and probably every type of antibiotic which each worked but only for a limited time. At 23 I realised the only thing left was accutane. NHS was slow so I went private (1 appointment - £120) and the dermatologist prescribed me 4 months of 40 mg/day (I only weigh around 100 pounds). Best thing I ever did. Only side effects I noticed were dry lips - I recommend aquaphor - and dry inside of my nose. 100% worth it and my skin is amazing and spot free now! I've just come off the medication so fingers crossed it lasts a long time. Very happy, I definitely recommend."

BbBianca April 25, 2015

"On my third month of using Accutane I must say it definitely works but the lower back & side pain is getting out of hand it's depressing because I've dealt with acne most of my life & have used everything under the sun ,but the one thing that works I can't use ...I highly recommend it but be careful with the side affects"

bumpy Johnson April 20, 2015

"If you have acne, Accutane is the holy grail. I had mild-moderate acne in high school. I took it for six weeks. It sucked my skin dry as a bone, but after that, my skin looked pristine. With the exception of an occasional stray pimple, I have not had a breakout in 15 years. There is no point in trying anything else."

l-jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2015

"Yesterday, my dental hygienist asked me how I got my skin so clear. I almost cried because no one has ever complimented me on my skin before. My skin was the source of a great deal of unhappiness, anxiety, and stress in my life prior to Accutane. Thank you, Accutane, for giving me back my confidence and life. As for side effects: very minimal. No changes in mood. Biggest pain in the butt was iPledge and monthly tests. I'm a very busy person, so finding the time to run out of work in the middle of the day was difficult. But so worth it. Don't focus on all the negative stories!! I wish I would have ignored the naysayers and gone on this drug years ago! Good luck :)"

Smiley2345 April 8, 2015

"I've been on accutane 3 months now. I've had persistent acne since I was in middle school and nothing has worked besides this. Right now I'll get occasional acne but it's clear for the most part. My whole body has gotten dry because of it and is often very uncomfortable. But the worst side effect are these mood swings and depression accutane has caused me. It has really effected my relationship and I cannot help it. I'm on 40 mg but it was worse when I was on 60. Even though this is a difficult side effect, I am amazed at how clear my face is so far."

Kmc01 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2015

"It is incredible. It really makes a difference to your skin. Yes it gets worse before it gets better, but once you get past the painful stage of breakouts, all you see week by week is improvement! I highly recommend it to those with severe acne. Before you know it, your skin will be perfect!"

Ashxox March 10, 2015

"I am 17 years old. Since I was 10 years old I have had mild acne. I used to cry to my mom before school at least two times a week because of my acne. I would stay home on weekends instead of going out with my friends because I was ashamed of my skin. I tried every pill and cream out there. Literally. Right now I am on my last month of accutane. It is still clearing up a bit but it is almost all the way clear. My skin was very dry in the beginning but then I started taking vitamin E and I got a dehumidifier for next to my bed which both helped a lot. My lips also got very chapped and dry but I put aquaphor on to help it. My mouth was more dry than usual but nothing severe. It changed my life and I'm so happy that I started taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2015

"I've been using it for 8 weeks now and my skin has cleared up tremendously. I still get a few cystic acne (my dermatologist says its normal as Accutane is working to push out all hidden blackheads under the skin) but no new whiteheads or blackheads. Skin is also much less oily. I take about 40mg a day."

scarred pus face February 22, 2015