User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Accutane Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 429 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Accutane to treat Acne

"I've already commented before I just wanted everyone to know I'm off roacutane now. It's been just over a month and having my final check up soon. So happy with the results honestly. I feel so much more confident and happy it was worth every side effect. for the first time in 8 years(I'm 18) I now can go out of the house without makeup on. And I'm not exaggerating. I'm so happy and I honestly think anyone with bad skin should try this honestly it's so worth it"

Tannnnn May 11, 2016

"I have have had mild/persistent acne for about 6 years now (I'm 22) and have tried several treatments. The most effective was doryx which I was on for nearly 6 months, it cleared my skin up completely. However, that clear skin only lasted few months, and by the end of the treatment my acne was flaring up again. That is when my dermatologist prescribed me accutane. I was assured there would be no new flare ups because my acne was mild. However, I am on day 12 now and I can say my skin was clearer when I started accutane than it is now. On top of that I am experiencing very dry skin and chapped/cracked lips. I am going to stick the full treatment out, but just a warning that more likely than not you will break out before it gets better."

sean o May 10, 2016

"I am 24 and have had med. level acne on my face for many years, and more recently on my shoulders. I started Accutane March 2016 at 20mg. Apr 30mg and next week -May 40mg. Symptoms in March; chapped lips, dry face, body aches, blurry vision, new oil pimples. April- My symptoms changed to; eyes sensitive to sunlight, heart burn with greasy foods, body aches, dryness, dry hair/split ends/thinner hair, and my skin has a slower healing process now so any pimples I have touched will stay for weeks. Also, I have noticed that on the days I do drink one gallon of water or more my symptoms go away. I also eat healthy and I try to take daily vitamins. Choose a reputable derm!"

Alex305 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

"My daughter was 15 at the time and was given Oratane. Certainly it worked temporarily for the acne but as a result of this horrible drug she developed irritable bowel syndrome. It has been a year off it and things have NOT returned to normal. She was referred to the hospital and the specialist told us that recent research shows that this drug can cause perforation of the bowel."

Terri Monroe April 19, 2016

"My son has severe acne from his Crohn's drugs and now he wants to take Accutane - I see it as a death sentence of sorts, but I can understand what he is going through at just 13 years old. Has anyone tried Accutane when they are already wrestling with Crohn's? His Crohn's is in remission and he is using Humira every two weeks now. We suspect Prednisone as the initial cause of his acne."

veryworrieddad April 15, 2016

"I read the Accutane horror stories, so I turned down my dermatologists suggestion of it. After 4 more years (25 now), the cystic acne has just been getting worse and worse. It was seriously impacting my life. I just finished a month ago doing a 5 month 60mg/day treatment and my skin is flawless. I cannot believe it. I actually have better skin than people who I once thought had beautiful perfect skin. I experienced some joint pain the first month and dry lips the entire time, but I started seeing reductions in acne by month 2 and had no new cysts by month 4. There are still a few that are healing (yes, I would get some cysts that take 6-8 months to heal). I would highly recommend this. I have so much of my life back not worrying about skin."

JustDoItAlready (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

"I was on accutane for a little over 6 months. I started at 30mgs/day, but became suicidal and had severe joint pain so my doc dropped me to 20mgs/day. I was able to handle the dryness and sun sensitivity. Ultimately I stopped taking it early because it dried out my lungs and (although I can't prove it) I believe my new diagnosis of asthma is due to the accutane. I suffered from horrible chest pain for over a month before figuring out it was the accutane. Once I stopped, the chest pain went away, but the asthma has not gone away. It did completely clear up my skin, but I don't know if it was worth it. I've been off for 3 months now and I have a little acne again, but it's not anywhere near as bad as it was before."

tilnih (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

"At the age of 25, I had severe hormonal acne appearing under my chin and on my jawline, deep black heads, scarring, super oil face and hair before taking Accutane. This medication is totally worth it! I've tried so many OTC medications, prescribed so many creams and oral pills, chemical peels, dieting, Proactive, etc. Nothing worked! I used to have horrible skin in high school as well and it cleared up for a few years then the acne came back. I went to my dermatologist and she recommend Accutane for 5 months. The first two months I had the initial break out and it sucked but I knew it would get worse before it got better. My face was pretty clear by the third month. By the fourth month I only had little scars and now I'm acne free!"

lee337 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

"Accutane is the king of acne treatments. I took this medicine about 3 weeks ago. I don't know why does my body react so fast with this medicine. My face now is 80% clear, and I feel so much more confident. I recommend that asking your der for this drug, it' amazing guys."

Toya1995 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

"don't risk it, it's not worth losing yourself in the process of clearing your acne."

Accutane survivour April 1, 2016

"Ive been suffering frok acne from the age of 12 ever since ive been so insecure,at the age of 13 i started putting foundation to cover it up,it was reallly bad.Accutane/roaccutane saved my life and my confidence in many ways,im 14 ive been with this medication for 3 months now ive seen alot of change in my skin,really happy with my results,i really recommend roaccutane,i started off with 20 mg then 30 then 40,my side effects were nose bleed,dry lips,dry face,back pain,headaches and joint pain but its definatly worth it.i took a before and after pic and in these 3 months ive seen alot of difference and now i can go out in public without makeup!ive tried everythinn and nothing worked except for roaccutane."

Haileymay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

"My experience with accutane was amazing! I have always had acne and have tried everything over the counter but nothing worked. I did have some side effects including extremely dry lips, as well as pretty bad joint and muscle pain. My skin was also dry too including my scalp. But I loved it because I could go without washing my hair for a week! It was great. These side effects sucked while going through them, but absolutely worth it for the results! After a few months of finishing, my lips, scalp and skin were no longer as dry as they were while on the medication. My skin is definitely not as oily as it was before I started! I have no regrets about taking this Med and I would absolutely recommended accutane to others!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2016

"I was suffering from severe acne since I was 14 years, tried many tropical and antibiotics but failed,, when I turned 17 I was on accutane 20mg, at beginning there were no results, even after 4 months ,nothing changed much, but after 5th month I could really see a difference, my face started clearing, even though there many scar and holes. but my parents stopped me on this medicine due to its serious side effects. my immune system became weak and I am suffering from tuberculosis now. my parents blame the medicine for this disease as it had weaken my immune sys,, but it really got my face cleared. There are no outbreaks now but scar persist. I would seriously recommend it but on an advice to get a regular checkup throughout your treatment, GOOD LUCK"

anonymous 258 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2016

"I been on accutane a few weeks , I am seeing results! !! Although my Lips are so dry it hurts the dryness is the worse !!vasaline saved my life!!!!!!! I did get rashes on my hands and arms and itching on my legs! But hey my face looks better at the end a few months of suffering is totally worth it!!"

cheen March 9, 2016

"I started accutane late December, 2015. I was on it for 7 weeks 5 days when I had to temporally stop because my liver enzymes were elevated. At this point I was taking 60 mg per day. In regards to my acne, my skin was clearing beautifully! I'm very happy with the results. However, I experienced side effects such as dry skin, dry lips, joint pain, headaches and trouble sleeping sometimes. Within two weeks after stopping accutane, I did some blood work. My results showed that my liver enzymes were back to normal so my doctor advised me to start accutane again. I'm currently taking 60 mg again everyday and I have roughly about 11 weeks more to go on accutane. I do get 1-2 pimples and a few blackheads but nothing cystic."

Acne Review March 9, 2016

"Horrible side effects (virtually all the ones listed) and did not cure my acne. In fact, it made my acne about 10 times worse than before. I find it strange that an "initial breakout" could last well over a month and be continuing to get worse, leaving scars that I never would have otherwise had. This drug was a total disaster for me and I stopped after a couple months. My face is still not back to how it was (which would be comparatively awesome and I had moderate-severe acne before), and to be perfectly honest this was the worst decision I could have made for my health and emotional wellbeing."

Kat216 March 8, 2016

"I've been on accutane for 1-2 months and I am very happy with the results of this drug. Besides one cystic acne breakout I have been erasing zits more then I have been gaining them. My energy level is terrible though. I'm 6'2 150 pounds and my diet consists of fast food and water. I work so I don't have time to make hearty meals. Before I was on accutane I could handle that fast food diet. It didn't effect my energy at all. My only advice is to take your diet seriously while you are on this pill. It may help a lot! The drug itself is doing its job and for that I'm thankful. God bless."

Hi everybody March 8, 2016

"I'm 17 years old and I've suffered with bad skin since I can remember.. Been on lots of anti biotics, the pill, cream and finally put me on roacuttane. My skin was bad as I had it on my face, back , arms and chest! My worst was on my arms and now there are loads of dark scars. Roacuttane had really cleared up all the pimples and face spots I had within the first 2-3 months which is great. Lips have been awful and have had rash on my hands. My nose has also appeared more with white heads which I remove with nose strips once a week now which is great. I also have back pains from the tablets and feel tired most of the time which isn't too great because I'm doing exams.. I feel more confident as I can now show my face without makeup to people!"

Tanyel (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

"I took accutane for 5 months. My acne cleared but I still have discoloration. The side effects were horrible. The back pain for the first two months was almost unbearable. The mood swings, headaches, and dry skin were terrible too. It was effective, but I never want to have to go through that for 5 months again."

Taj_6102 March 1, 2016

"I've been on accutane on since one and a half month but seriously I have no side effects except dry lips and dry skin( not too much) but now I having pain in my heels. I started on 60mg but after a month my dermatologist increased on 80mg....its not 100% clear yet but i can see that my acne is improving I can't wait to finish the treatment and I am feeling very confident"

Arifa khan February 26, 2016

"I've been on accutane for about 6 days now , I didn't really have zits / pimples , mainly black heads that got irritated easily , within just 6 days of using this , my skin has gotten so much better . It was really bad around my cheek area and it cleared up right away , I'm super comfortable with my skin as of right now and I can't wait for it to be completely clear . The only real side effects I've had is dry lips , (carry Chapstick at all times,) REALLY dry skin , my skin is somewhat peeling but honestly just massage moisturizer onto your face twice a day and you'll be fine , I haven't had any back pains , etc . Definitely worth it ."

Anonymous February 22, 2016

"I've been on Accutane since a month and half now and honestly I don't have much side effect except dry lips and skin (not to much) but I can see that my acne improve and I have almost none on my forehead anymore.. It's not 100% clear yet. I started on 10mg and every week I increase by 10mg, so now on week five I am on 50 mg can't wait to finish the treatment I already feel confident"

Lounetta February 21, 2016

"I have been on accutane for exactly 2 months now. It was prescribed by my GP but she didn't have enough knowledge on my skin and how much dose I should take, so i went to a derm. I was still breaking out really bad, my skin was still oily. She put me on 60mg, with the 10mg my GP prescribed I thought the side effects were already terrible so being put on 60mg was a bit nerve wrecking. But its almost a month, yes the higher the dose the more terrible the side effects are. I am happy with the progress, my acne started in my early 20s, I'm in my mid 20s now a few small pimples that are easily covered up by make up. My pre scars have improved A LOT. My one problem is I am really dark. even though I use spf 50 sunscreen. so trying to work on that."

Nthabi92 February 19, 2016

"I have been struggling with mild to severe acne since middle school. at the end of my senior year I started an accutane plan, 40mg for 6 months. The beginning symptoms were exactly what I expected. Worsening of acne initially, then extreme dryness, and finally RESULT! My acne was vanishing I couldn't believe it! I was so excited and had the most confidence in forever. That all came crashing down when the love of my life and girlfriend of 5 months tried to have sex on our 5 month , which was also valentine's day. Here we are, both virgins, about make love and I CANNOT GET AN ERECTION. I've looked into it a bit and know that the first time can be difficult for a lot of guys. But it just didn't feel right, so I'm posting a warning."

Accutane WARNING (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2016

"Back in 2008 I took Accutane it cleared my acne but gradually it came back. Now 2016 I'm on another round. I tried everything for Clinique, proactive, to essential oils nothing works like accutane."

"2 old 4 this" (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016