Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Accutane review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Accutane to treat Acne

Review by grrio (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had mild-severe scarring acne since I was 8 years old (I had premature puberty) and my mom took me to many dermatologists who prescribed many different medications. Nothing worked. Of course I was a little kid and wasn't following the instructions thoroughly. Then at the age of 16 I went on Accutane for 7 months. I remember that it took a while to see some improvement but on the 6th to 7th month it got extremely better. Of course I had a lot of problems with my dry lips. My hands were also very sensitive to cold (they still are). I stayed clear for about 17 years. I only had 2-3 zits once a month during menstruation. Since a year acne has started coming back. Not that bad though. The red marks are the worse. I might go on Accutane again.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 8:50 AM

Review by Lissyloo2:

Amazing! I understand when people say they tried everything. I didn't have severe acne but persistent and regular plus it didn't help that I was a real squeezer and probably made whole situation worse. And I already get anxious about social situations so the skin problem added to that! I was able to go on a low dose, 20mg which I was scared wouldn't be enough but this stuff is strong! Can't complain about the dry skin as how else is it going to work? The whole idea is to make you less oily. Lips were very dry and gross at the start and whole layers were peeling off but that isn't so bad now. Have been through about 10 lip balms already! But that's it really. Sometimes feel a little tired but that could also not be Accutane.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by Selle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been through taking this for 3 months now and I noticed improvements on my acne. I still have occasional breakout and I hope this would totally be clear after 6 months.

August 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by belx:

I've been on this medication for just over 2 months now, taking 40mg a day. When I started on a low dose, the first 3 weeks I experienced severe dry skin, lips, and especially my nose and under my eyes even. The first 5 weeks my skin broke out worse. And from the beginning I started getting severe back pain. Now in week 9, my skin has settled down and is a tiny bit better, but all my blackheads have disappeared. My skin is still drier than usual, but it's actually improved, and my lips are fine as long as I apply vaseline 2-3 times a day. The only significant side effect I still have is my back and bone/joint pain. So far I'm very happy with what I've achieved (the blackheads) and expect things to keep improving.

July 31, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by Cherno (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had severe cystic acne covering my entire body for over 2 years. I tried antibiotics, creams and pills, and none of them worked. Finally after a year on antibiotics with no results my doctor referred me to a dermatologist who prescribed Accutane. I took it for six months and now my acne is completely gone. I have been off of it for two months now and no acne whatsoever has returned. I am hoping it never does! The side effects for Accutane were difficult (especially the dry lips - I had chapstick with me 24/7 and went crazy if I couldn't apply it about once an hour at least) but the end result was worth it in my opinion.

July 2, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 20 years old and have been suffering with acne since I was 14. I tried EVERY topical lotions, antibiotics, and face washes you can think of and nothing worked on my stubborn skin. I was terrified of going on Accutane because of some bad reviews I read about it. After talking with my dermatologist, I decided to give Accutane a shot. Best decision of my life!! I am currently almost done with my third month and my skin feels so smooth and looks amazing. I have so much more confidence in myself and can go out without worrying about my skin looking horrible. The only side effects I have gotten so far are dry skin and very dry lips (I carry Chapstick with me 24/7!). Other than that, all I can say is Accutane is truly a miracle.

June 21, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After trying over 8 prescription medications for my acne (both creams and oral pills), I finally decided to try Accutane. Despite all the negative aspects about Accutane that I read online, I am so happy I gave it a try. After the first month, my blackheads were gone and my bigger pimples weren't so inflamed and swollen. My face used to always be red and oily and after only one month, my face is not at all red or oily. I think a lot of people refrain from taking it because of the reviews they read online, but there are possible side effects for every medicine. My advice: give Accutane a shot. If it works to your benefit, I promise you that you will be extremely happy with the results.

June 18, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by nursesasha:

I used it over a year ago. All I really have to say is that it changed my life, truthfully. I'm 25 years also and I had gotten bad cyst on my jawline and almost everywhere really. Nothing worked, so finally I tried it. All the crap you hear about dry skin and lips, doesn't come close to how good you feel while your skin gets better. I only did a 6 month trial and it's been over a year since I stopped and I haven't had one cyst, pimple or anything since. Same goes for my back, I had very mild acne there and that has stopped as well. So if anybody is worried to take it, don't be. It really works, and it's so worth it.

June 9, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by Parker19977281 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was on isotretinoin for 7 months at the age of 15-16.. I had moderate acne and it worked within 5 months and completely cleared my face up... I've now been off the treatment for 6 months and my acnes slowly creeping back. My skin looks oily again. It's good but it doesn't cure it, more like masks it for a short period of time.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2014 11:39 AM

Review by mufc20 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is the best treatment for acne! I'm 23 and still had acne, though I had it primarily on my back and arms. I would never take my shirt off in public an%u010F was extremely self conscious about it. I'm 4 months into the treatment and I have NO new pimples (marks still there). I just hope the acne doesn't come back after the treatment. Side effects are manageable, I've had dry lips, eyes and nose bleeds throughout the day but the advantages of the treatment outweigh the side effects by miles!

June 5, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by Lilo123:

I think I read every single review and watched every single youtube video on Accutane before I finally decided to start taking it. Every time I looked in the mirror I hated myself because of the way that I looked. I was embarrassed to be seen by anyone and I wore tonnes of foundation to try and cover my acne, which probably made it even worse but having acne made me crazy insecure about myself. Taking Accutane was the best decision of my life. I feel like a different person and not only has it made my skin 100 times better but I am far more confident too. My lips got quite dry but apart from that everything was great. My only regret with taking Accutane was that I didn't start taking it earlier. It is genuinely a miracle!

June 4, 2014 2:46 PM

Review by kaitlynhardin:

I was hesitant to try Accutane because of it's dangerous side effects. However, as a 17 year old I had been suffering from severe acne since I was 11 years old. Accutane is not a medicine that I would recommend taking if you don't absolutely need to. Prior to starting it, I tried everything you could name- virtually anything they sold in chemists and countless topicals and oral medications, all with little to no effect. Looking back on it, I wish I would have started Accutane sooner. I cannot stress what amazing results I got after finishing my 7 months on the medicine. It did cause the expected dryness of lips, eyes, nose, etc. However, the results of the medicine completely outweigh it's side effects.

May 13, 2014 10:21 PM

Review by Nicoleeee:

I couldn't be more thankful for this medicine. I'm so happy I made the decision to take it despite reading so many scary things about it. I can honestly say its probably been the best decision of my life. If you have the opportunity to go on this medicine do it. It will change your life.

April 27, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by JackieRCon3:

Accutane is the best medicine in the world. I get every side effect known to man and this medicine only gave me the common side effects. The only side effects I got were dry skin (which was a blessing because my skin was extremely oily), dry lips, and toward the last two months my white blood cell count got low. I would recommend this medicine to everyone. As long as you eat right and are somewhat active you should be fine on this medicine. Also, most say depression is a factor but I have a family history of depression and when I was 12-15 (I am currently 18) I suffered from extreme anxiety and I had no emotional issues with this medicine. It is life changing.

April 3, 2014 12:38 AM

Review by Smile face:

Few weeks off Accutane and happy with the results. Experienced minimal side effects. Just hope acne will never come back like before.

March 22, 2014 10:41 AM

Review by Nicole___:

I'm on my fourth month of Accutane and can honestly say this has changed my life. Four months ago, my confidence was literally non-existent. I couldn't look people in the eye, I hid away from everyone even my family as much as I could, I hated going out in public. My acne wasn't severe or cystic but when you have pimples on your face, you feel like that's all people are looking at. After reading so many scary things about this medicine I was really hesitant about going on it. But I couldn't be happier that I did. I've experienced only dry lips, skin and eyes which is pretty easy to control with a good moisturizer. I sometimes (rarely) experience minor back pain. But its so worth it everything is worth it. I finally have my life back!

March 20, 2014 8:57 PM

Review by danyelleelayne (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've suffered from acne for over 10 years. I went through two treatments of Accutane. It helped clear up my skin, but it didn't help clear up my blackheads. The 2nd time I was on it, my dermatologist kept me on for 8 months and it still wasn't a true success. I have been off Accutane for 2 years now. I still suffer from acne, especially blackheads. I don't break out nearly as bad as before, but it's still a struggle.

March 18, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by Kwh12n:

I'm just coming to the end of my fourth month on this medicine and it's worked a dream!! Before having this I cried every morning not wanting to go to school and every night before I went to sleep, I tried every single facial wash and tablet there was (prescribed and over the counter) Since being on the medicine my life has turned around I'm not afraid to take photos with family and friends and I only use light make up I'm not afraid to go out! I did have some side effects such as, sickness, depression, nose bleeds, joint pain, dry skin & chapped lips however the doctor dropped the dosage and now I'm back to my normal self! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

February 28, 2014 7:16 PM

Review by Greatending (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was 49 when I began taking Accutane for moderate acne. My insurance company only approved 5 months treatment. My dermatologist generally recommends 8 months but I was satisfied with my results at the end of my 5 month course. I had the common side effects of chapped lips and dry itching skin. It's been 4 months post treatment and I'm still clear of bumps. I don't regret my decision.

February 21, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by Holls (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've written a review on here a couple times, first when I had first started on Accutane and second when I was on my fourth month. I just finished my last pill last night & I'm hopeful that my face will stay clear. I still have dry lips & dry skin, that will eventually go back to normal but otherwise my skin is completely clear & I'm not scared to wear less makeup, before I would literally look like a cake face. All I have is a lot of left over marks and discoloration but my dermatologist and I have already talked about chemical peels within the next month or two. I know Accutane sounds scary for everyone who hasn't tried it & read some reviews but it's not. Acne was messing with me mentally & I was willing to try anything! Go for it.

February 21, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by sccali (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

When I was 17, I began to develop bad acne. My face (mainly around my mouth) developed cystic pimples. My self esteem dropped and I became depressed and anti-social. I tried all sorts of creams, gels, antibiotics, and spironolactone. Nothing worked permanently. I finally decided to try Accutane. I AM SO GLAD I DID! I experienced zero side effects and within 2 months my skin was completely clear. Every month my skin became clearer. A year and a half after finishing Accutane my skin is still clear. My self esteem is 10000x better than before and I no longer am afraid to look people in the eye or leave the house without pounds of make up on. I was on Accutane for 6 months and experienced zero depression.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2014 1:35 PM

Review by Acnefreak (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was(was feels so good) suffering havoc of acne from my 8th grade. Continued till my 12th grade, successfully destroyed my whole teen life. I took hundreds of antibiotic, Proactive, facial packs. All failed completely. Acne actually changed my personality, my image and whole life. After visiting many dermatologist, last(yes last) of them prescribed me Accutane. At first I didn't take it very seriously but after 1 month my persistent acne started disappearing. All thanks to acne, it puts a full stop to acne problem. I'm still recovering from all psychological disaster played by acne in my life.. But today I m completely acne free and confident that it will never come back. ONE Last advice, don't think and just go for it!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2013 7:18 PM

Review by ACCUTANE IS A CURE:

I developed acne at about 11 years old. It wasnt bad, but it got worse. At about 12-13 years old, it hit hard and got really bad. I tried everything you could possibly think of. You say it, I've tried it. But nothing at all worked. I tried things as little as home remedies to expensive dermatologist cleansers that cost over $100 a bottle. Still, nothing worked. For a while I nearly gave up hope, I was so insecure about my skin I wouldn't even dare to leave the house, let alone my room, without makeup on. I found makeup was like my security blanket in a way. I discovered Accutane and let me tell you, it is THE best thing I have ever tried. My acne is gone and I'm 15 now. I couldn't be more happier. I believe Accutane is a cure.

December 26, 2013 7:13 AM

Review by Sabuuuuuu (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've tried so many different things like topical and antibiotics, I'm so glad I caught my acne early! I'm only on month 3 and my face is almost cleared up! ACCUTANE IS TRULY A MIRACLE PILL! I also barely have any side effects, weirdly enough my lips are not dry and chapped.

December 21, 2013 1:23 AM

Review by Alliekay123:

At the age of 30, I still dealt with breakouts. After trying all sorts of over the counter products that just hurt me I went to the doctor. We took the steps of prescription washes and antibiotics. Still had breakouts. So decided to try Accutane. I'm currently starting my 5th month, and I haven't had a breakout or a single pimple in over 3 months. My side effects were dry peeling lips ( nothing Carmex can't fix), dry eyes, very sensitive skin (though working in a hospital doesn't help) so far I am so satisfied with this medicine. Yes, it is a hassle to get but worth it.

December 21, 2013 12:41 AM