User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

Acne 327 reviews 518 medications

8.6
Summary of Accutane reviews 333 reviews 9.3

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne "I am now 55 years old. I started developing acne when I was 14 . It became so severe that my parents took me to a dermatologist. This was back in the 1970s when all that was available were antibiotics and infrared light treatment. It worked on and off, but after several years my body built up a resistance to the antibiotics and the severe acne returned. I was prescribed accutane when I was 29. My acne cleared up in 3 days! I had some mild side effects: dry skin, dry lips (which continue to this day). But my skin is crystal clear and has been for almost 30 years!!! I highly recommend this wonderful medication. I don't know what my life would have been like without it,"

Clear skin girl January 24, 2016

For Acne "DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG! I am a 21 year old female and I started taking accutane when I was 18 years old. I had suffered from severe acne since I hit puberty. I stayed on Accutane for 7 months. Side effects while on the drug included: Severe dry skin (could not dry myself with a towel or my skin would peel off, had to pat dry), the first couple months my hands were red and it looked like I had scales like a fish, I had dry lips, headaches, and mood swings. Three months after getting off, I was walking in a hall and my hip popped. I am now recovering from my 3rd hip surgery. The doctors have no idea what caused my hip issues being that I have had NO health problems. EVER. If I could go back no amount of clear skin is worth all this pain."

ihatethisdrug January 18, 2016

For Acne "I just started my Accutane today. My biggest concern right now is that he prescribed me with 10mg a day. Which I think is a very low dosage considering my cystic acne and the inflammation I showed to him. And also I saw some other people got 40mg to kick start their accutane. I'm wondering if anyone here had any experience with this low dosage of accutane before? Will it be effective?"

Mr White (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

For Acne "I've had cystic acne for 15 years and was finally prescribed isotretinoin at the age of 27. I went to a private dermatologist who prescribed the medication, then I switched to the NHS. I'm currently on month 5 out of 6 and acne free at 70mg per day. It was month 4 when I became free of acne, so it does take a while to fully kick in. Side effects - severe eczema on my hands, very dry eyes and lips. My only regret is I didn't get on this medication 10 years ago, which would have prevented scarring and emotional issues. I am SO ANGRY with the NHS for refusing me this medication back in 2007."

tastybrain January 17, 2016

For Acne "Amazing. I've suffered from acne since I was about 11, tried every spot cream , every face wash, and all antibiotics the doctor gave me. Finally at 18 I was prescribed accutane and have been on 40mg a day for 6 months. I finish my course in half a month and I do not have any spots on my face. I do however have hyper pigmentation on my cheeks where my acne was worst but I'm hoping this will fade. Dry lips are a nightmare and occasional back pain but honestly I owe my life to this drug. I hope my acne does not return and that I do not suffer from any more pigmentation. It's so worth while, I'm sad I didn't go on it earlier."

Kyna (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Acne "I had painful and extreme cystic acne in isolated areas on both sides of my chin when I was in college. I underwent accurate treatment at 23 right when Accutane was approved by the FDA. I took the treatment for 3 months and the side effects were very dry lips, sometimes splitting. It totally eliminated my acne and my self confidence, social life, and career soared. I tried everything before this treatment and nothing worked and was extremely happy with the results. At about age 35, my acne cysts reappeared, although not as severe. I underwent another 90 day treatment and haven't had any reoccurrence since."

OnThe50 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

For Acne "I just finished my second month of 20mg/daily accutane. I am starting 30mg/daily this month. I have had 3 episodes of severe cystic acne throughout my life and acne always. I am 37 and I can't remember a time when I didn't have pimples on my face. As I got older my acne moved to my chin and jawline, chest and back. My acne began to clear right away on accutane. Just going on to my third month and I am chest, back, and face are smoother than I've ever felt. I do have mildly chapped lips and I changed my cleanser to Cerave for normal to dry skin. I use a moisturizer day and night and sometimes even coconut oil on my face. My doctor wanted to get me up to 40mg daily but I requested to be more conservative and he was agreeable."

Lucky#7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

For Acne "I have been on the drug about 7 weeks and have had no real change in my acne just real dry chapped lips and dry skin but spots are still here, how long til it changes and they start to go away?"

Bates85620484 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

For Acne "Had two doses over many years. At 15 / 16 my skin was masked by spots and only a little could be seen around my eyes and in addition I suffered with cold sores breaking out all around my lips. Ugly was the only way I felt. So it was a Dr Freshwater in Chester who prescribed the first time after a very tearful consultation in approximately 1975/1976. The result was amazing and it gave me my confidence to go out and comments about my skin stopped. However the spots came back again in my early 40's - so off to the docs again and private this time with a Dr Lister in Wrexham and a lot more rigid processes to be checked. Again the course cleared my spots. Side effects were dry lips and facial skin that was easily managed with creams."

Salsa8680 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

For Acne "This drug works wonders!!! I suffered from cystic acne for 4 years and lots of blackheads on and around my nose. I have been on accutane for 3 months now and I can officially say I'm acne free! It took about 2 months to really start seeing results. Just stay with it ya'll! you will not regret it. As for side effects, they are tolerable."

Mottsapplesauce November 19, 2015

For Acne "I live in the Uk so we get drugs etc free. This drug is only available via a specialist at a hospital and is carefully mointored. I'm 40yrs old and had painful large sports since I was 12, I have tried everything, so now I've hit 40 and had a family decided to try it. I lasted 15 days of 20g a day. I thought at my age I would have less to worry about that a teenager. I could cope with the dry skin and cracked lips but the headaches and joint pain was horrific. I stopped taking 5 days ago but still am in constant pain & have a headache have been told these side effects could last up to 30 days. I have never suffered side effects from any drugs I have taken until I took this. If you are planning to take this please consider carefully."

Mrspenguin74 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

For Acne "I've started taking isotretinoin a few months ago and i had moderate acne. It cured my acne completely, i do now have like 2 zits but that's the first time since i started the medication. I have to admit though, the side effects are terrible. It does dry your lips to the point that you can't smile or talk but that wasn't it. Since I started the medication i've been suffering from severe depression and suicidal thoughts. I'd spend hours crying my heart out once i'm on the pill. And also i'd have the feelings of hopelessness and helplessness to the point where the only possible thing to do is actually kill myself. I'm still on isotretinoin though cause i haven't finished my course. My depression is just getting worse."

Ayze (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2015

For Rosacea "Just hitting one month on Accutane. Don't forget, this is a review for Rosacea, not Acne. I gave it a 9/10 for acne and on Rosacea I will give it an 8/10 so far. I will update the review over time. I was so hesitant to try Accutane with the horror stories, but you have to remember it is for less than 1% of the people that take it. I struggled with depression and have had ZERO depression episodes. Dry eyes and dry lips. Hair thinning a bit, but am not losing any whatsoever. Vivid dreams. That is all. Only had two headaches (minor). This and CeraVe Cleanser CeraVe Moisturizer has made my rosacea go COMPLETELY away. The redness on my face is gone. It is amazing to me. Good luck to all who go down the Accutane road! Everyone is different."

thebrogo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2015

For Acne "After hearing about the horror stories, I was hesitant to try Accutane. I tried Minocycline (Solodyn), Doryx (Doxycycline), and Bactrim DS. The only thing that was pretty good at clearing was Bactrim DS. Bactrim worked best, but was not working anymore. I had no choice but to go with Accutane. It was a little drying with the eyes initially and my lips still get dry. What people fail to mention is that your body adjusts to the side effects and that you won't have an initial breakout if you start low. I started at 40mg. Going to 60mg this month (my second month). Don't forget, Accutane takes between 2-4 months to see clearing. Good luck! :)"

thebrogo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2015

For Acne "I was on this for 3 months and only got up to a 30 mg dose. My lips peeled, my face peeled, I got depressed and finally it made me want to die. I am a super positive person, and I don't think I could have felt so bad about myself. And on top of it my skin did not change because I wasn't able to complete the treatment. Stay away."

Azgirl44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2015

For Acne "I started out with severe cystic acne. Unbelievable. Only 5 Months to 100% clear skin. For the first month I had awful fatigue, and the whole time I -like most others- had painfully dry lips. But I can't tell you how worth it the results have been."

ThankyouAccutane (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2015

For Acne "I have had acne ever since I was 10 and suffered really badly. My back was covered in spots to the point where it hurt to lean against anything. I had spots all over my face and on my chest. I am on my fourth month of roaccutane and my face is clear other than two small spots, my back is clear and so is my chest. I have had a few side effects such as dry skin, dry lips and my body ached. Those side effects I can deal with, however my mood swings are bad, I will be really happy for a couple of days and then I will have a few days where I am down and crying a lot. The medication has helped me find a new confidence in my self, I don't feel embarrassed to go out anymore and I can even not wear makeup when I go out. It is definitely worth it!!"

Izbiz (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2015

For Acne "I finished my treatment 2weeks ago and I still have fews pimples on my face but it's not a big deal. I did 5months of Accutane. Before starting with the treatment I had pimples all over my back my arms and my face oh ! And my chest too. It was terrible! I started with a 50mg, 10mg int the morning and 40mg in the evening. After 1 month and a half I had so many side effects.. My back was hurting me so much I lost so many hair even my eyebrows a little. I was ashamed because of my chapped lips I had a bad reaction one day I just woke up with many little pimples (it's like water inside) all around my mouth and on my lips too. I could get rid of it 4 days after. I went to a clinic they gave me a cream. I'm a sensitive person and got depressed."

Girl22-5 October 19, 2015

For Acne "Accutane saved my life. Although the dryness was sometimes hard to cope with, I highly recommend accutane to those of you who have literally tried everything and nothing seemed to work. I had bad acne, and I tried every face wash, cream.... you name it... and it did not work. Until I found accutane and asked my doctor if I could try it, I was miserable. Having a clear face made me have so much more confidence. I really do owe accutane everything. Thank you so much for making my life better."

VM12345 October 18, 2015

For Acne "I had moderate to severe acne which affected my self esteem immensely. I would not leave my room without makeup caked on and even then I felt terrible about myself. I tried absolutely everything before accutane. Literally everything. This medication changed my life. I am acne free, and its been 2 years since I ended my course of accutane. The only side effect that has stayed with me even after 2 years is my piercings and other thing take 10 times longer to heal, some piercings haven't healed at all in fact. But apart from that, it is the best choice I have ever made. This medication is a miracle, seriously, its worth the shot. It cleared up my acne to the point where I now have perfect skin. This changed my life."

Samantha1287 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2015

For Acne "Well, I never thought I'd ever share it, but yeah. Accutane destroyed my sex drive. It's not that I can't get an erection or anything, it's just that. When I start having a sexual intercourse withmy girlfriend, I don't last long at all. I can barely ever get her to come and it's pretty hard on my self esteem. You may say - 'Why don't you foreplay more?' There's a limit to foreplay, get real. Regardless, I'm not going to die from this, I've been through worse. However, I completely recommend AVOIDING ACCUTANE AT ALL COST. You'd rather have problems with sex than having acne? That's the worse mistake you can ever make. That's.. The worse mistake I ever made. My acne did go away - not completely, but it did prove to be very efficient on the acne"

Chris1337 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2015

For Acne "Hey guys! So I'm currently on my 2nd month of Accutane and I'm taking 40mg a day, and I have to say I'm quite impressed. I'm 15 and been dealing with mild but persistent cystic acne since I was 11, and I still have a few white heads and 4 cysts that I'm waiting for them to dry up, but ; I have noticed that my nose that was once covered in blackheads is clear!! The side effects are annoying but bearable. (dry skin, dry lips, joint pains, dry hair) It's going to get worse before it its better, trust me. If you're dealing with cystic acne I definitely recommend this miracle pill."

Ethiopianqueen (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2015

For Acne "I have been on this drug for 3.5 months: first month 30g, following 2.5 months 60g. It has categorically made zero difference to my acne. If anything, it's made it worse."

Feelee31 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2015

For Acne "I am experiencing acne and breakouts since 2013 its not that bad at all only few pimples but suddenly last 2014 it became more blackheads and breakouts especially on my chin area. I've tried lots of medication like creams over the counter but it doesn't help. as I use some of that cream sometimes it gets better but then again start to appear and even bigger and inflame.so I decided to meet a dermatologist and get some blood test and start using roaccutane. For now I'm on my 6 weeks of medication and I have long way to go because I still experiencing acne and breakouts. my chin in a bit clearer now but still having on my checks it's itchy and so inflamed."

mylie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2015

For Acne "I'm going into my 5th month on accutane at 60mg. The first 4 months yielded minimal if any results and I got the biggest cystic lesion in my history of acne in the 3rd month. Now, my skin is cleared of acne lesions and congestion. My skin is red, sensitive, and scarred and hyper pigmented. My eyes are dry and my lips require Aquaphor frequently. Overall, this medication has brought me confidence that I forgot I had. My derm said "wow look at your skin it looks wonderful." It made me emotional to hear. If you are considering this drug for persistent acne then my recommendation is to make this decision with your doctor. You will not be disappointed. Nothing else worked for me and I tried every med out there topically and orally, hormonally."

Sunny1992yryye October 4, 2015