User Reviews for Accutane

Learn more about Accutane.

Granuloma Annulare 1 reviews 5 medications

8.7
Melanoma, Metastatic 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Accutane reviews 251 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Accutane

For Acne: Best thing I've ever done ! I started getting acne when I was 7 took Accutane when I was 11 & my entire face cleared up within 9 months longer then expected but I don't get any acne beside when I'm menstruating & their very minor. Only side effects were very dry skin & lips & mood swings I recommend it

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by Rholeigh (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: I took Accutane when I was a teenager in the 1980's...I don't remember any side effects . My acne was pretty bad and it cured it. I haven't had a problem since.

October 20, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by Forever struggle (taken for 10 years or more):

For Acne: I loved Accutane. I have taken it twice. It seemed to work for me for 5 years each time. I got the dry skin. I used baby washcloths and Neutrogena oil free fragrance free moisturizer. After the first few weeks it got better though. Best acne medicine on the market! By far!

October 18, 2014 2:53 AM

Review by haplessacne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: Hi everyone! This is my second month of taking Accutane. I am taking 40 mg doses a day, and by far I have noticed that along with my severe cystic acne, I used to have a lot of comedones (small white hard substance which if pinched comes out like a hard thread like thing) around my chin and nose area. It used to look disgusting as it gave a grainy and cactus like appearance, but thanks to isotretinoin, I am completely rid of comedones. But I still have occasional breakout and have about 8 big cysts on my face which still need to dry up. I am a big time squeezer and don't know how to stop myself from doing that. Will update after two more months. I give an 8/10 as of now. -22 yo female, India.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 4:07 AM

Review by Theaora:

For Acne: 60kg female. I had cystitis acne on face and jaw. I had acne from 13 years of age. I'm 31 now. I tried everything! Then asked for Accutane. I was on 20 30 40 50 50 steroids and 60 dose. For about 7 months, as I kept having pimples (small but pimples). I had regular blood and pregnancy test each month. The steroids kicked the medicine in the butt and at 60 cleared my face completely. I was on 60 for 2 months and I knew I had no acne at all. I wanted to give up, after 5 months when I was on 50. I would have no pimples all month but when on my periods. I finished on 60. No acne then and no acne 3 months later.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 5:37 PM

Review by Allysuhn:

For Acne: Best decision of my life! My acne since I've had in fourth grade is gone, and I feel so much happier. My confidence has increased massively and I am no longer depressed. The medicine did make me drowsy, ill-tempered, dry skin, and horrendous break outs. But, overall this medicine has worked wonders for me and is completely worth it!

October 7, 2014 10:53 AM

For Acne: This medication is the only thing that has removed acne from my face and back. The side effects are horrible, but bearable. The side effects that I experienced during my treatment were: throbbing dry lips, itchy skin, dry eyes, blood in nose, severe joint pains, lethargy, darkening of face(temporary) and headaches. My dosage was from month 1 to 6: 40mg, 60mg, 70mg, 70mg, 80mg, 80mg. (Body weight 88kgs). If you suffer from cystic acne I would definitely recommend this medication. It really works and although the side effects are severe, they are temporary! Really worth it in the end

August 25, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by grrio (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: I had mild-severe scarring acne since I was 8 years old (I had premature puberty) and my mom took me to many dermatologists who prescribed many different medications. Nothing worked. Of course I was a little kid and wasn't following the instructions thoroughly. Then at the age of 16 I went on Accutane for 7 months. I remember that it took a while to see some improvement but on the 6th to 7th month it got extremely better. Of course I had a lot of problems with my dry lips. My hands were also very sensitive to cold (they still are). I stayed clear for about 17 years. I only had 2-3 zits once a month during menstruation. Since a year acne has started coming back. Not that bad though. The red marks are the worse. I might go on Accutane again.

August 13, 2014 8:50 AM

Review by Lissyloo2:

For Acne: Amazing! I understand when people say they tried everything. I didn't have severe acne but persistent and regular plus it didn't help that I was a real squeezer and probably made whole situation worse. And I already get anxious about social situations so the skin problem added to that! I was able to go on a low dose, 20mg which I was scared wouldn't be enough but this stuff is strong! Can't complain about the dry skin as how else is it going to work? The whole idea is to make you less oily. Lips were very dry and gross at the start and whole layers were peeling off but that isn't so bad now. Have been through about 10 lip balms already! But that's it really. Sometimes feel a little tired but that could also not be Accutane.

August 8, 2014 4:03 PM

Review by Selle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I've been through taking this for 3 months now and I noticed improvements on my acne. I still have occasional breakout and I hope this would totally be clear after 6 months.

August 7, 2014 3:40 PM

Review by belx:

For Acne: I've been on this medication for just over 2 months now, taking 40mg a day. When I started on a low dose, the first 3 weeks I experienced severe dry skin, lips, and especially my nose and under my eyes even. The first 5 weeks my skin broke out worse. And from the beginning I started getting severe back pain. Now in week 9, my skin has settled down and is a tiny bit better, but all my blackheads have disappeared. My skin is still drier than usual, but it's actually improved, and my lips are fine as long as I apply vaseline 2-3 times a day. The only significant side effect I still have is my back and bone/joint pain. So far I'm very happy with what I've achieved (the blackheads) and expect things to keep improving.

July 31, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by Cherno (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I had severe cystic acne covering my entire body for over 2 years. I tried antibiotics, creams and pills, and none of them worked. Finally after a year on antibiotics with no results my doctor referred me to a dermatologist who prescribed Accutane. I took it for six months and now my acne is completely gone. I have been off of it for two months now and no acne whatsoever has returned. I am hoping it never does! The side effects for Accutane were difficult (especially the dry lips - I had chapstick with me 24/7 and went crazy if I couldn't apply it about once an hour at least) but the end result was worth it in my opinion.

July 2, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I am 20 years old and have been suffering with acne since I was 14. I tried EVERY topical lotions, antibiotics, and face washes you can think of and nothing worked on my stubborn skin. I was terrified of going on Accutane because of some bad reviews I read about it. After talking with my dermatologist, I decided to give Accutane a shot. Best decision of my life!! I am currently almost done with my third month and my skin feels so smooth and looks amazing. I have so much more confidence in myself and can go out without worrying about my skin looking horrible. The only side effects I have gotten so far are dry skin and very dry lips (I carry Chapstick with me 24/7!). Other than that, all I can say is Accutane is truly a miracle.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2014 3:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: After trying over 8 prescription medications for my acne (both creams and oral pills), I finally decided to try Accutane. Despite all the negative aspects about Accutane that I read online, I am so happy I gave it a try. After the first month, my blackheads were gone and my bigger pimples weren't so inflamed and swollen. My face used to always be red and oily and after only one month, my face is not at all red or oily. I think a lot of people refrain from taking it because of the reviews they read online, but there are possible side effects for every medicine. My advice: give Accutane a shot. If it works to your benefit, I promise you that you will be extremely happy with the results.

June 18, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by nursesasha:

For Acne: I used it over a year ago. All I really have to say is that it changed my life, truthfully. I'm 25 years also and I had gotten bad cyst on my jawline and almost everywhere really. Nothing worked, so finally I tried it. All the crap you hear about dry skin and lips, doesn't come close to how good you feel while your skin gets better. I only did a 6 month trial and it's been over a year since I stopped and I haven't had one cyst, pimple or anything since. Same goes for my back, I had very mild acne there and that has stopped as well. So if anybody is worried to take it, don't be. It really works, and it's so worth it.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by Parker19977281 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: I was on isotretinoin for 7 months at the age of 15-16.. I had moderate acne and it worked within 5 months and completely cleared my face up... I've now been off the treatment for 6 months and my acnes slowly creeping back. My skin looks oily again. It's good but it doesn't cure it, more like masks it for a short period of time.

June 8, 2014 11:39 AM

Review by mufc20 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: This is the best treatment for acne! I'm 23 and still had acne, though I had it primarily on my back and arms. I would never take my shirt off in public an%u010F was extremely self conscious about it. I'm 4 months into the treatment and I have NO new pimples (marks still there). I just hope the acne doesn't come back after the treatment. Side effects are manageable, I've had dry lips, eyes and nose bleeds throughout the day but the advantages of the treatment outweigh the side effects by miles!

June 5, 2014 3:12 PM

Review by Lilo123:

For Acne: I think I read every single review and watched every single youtube video on Accutane before I finally decided to start taking it. Every time I looked in the mirror I hated myself because of the way that I looked. I was embarrassed to be seen by anyone and I wore tonnes of foundation to try and cover my acne, which probably made it even worse but having acne made me crazy insecure about myself. Taking Accutane was the best decision of my life. I feel like a different person and not only has it made my skin 100 times better but I am far more confident too. My lips got quite dry but apart from that everything was great. My only regret with taking Accutane was that I didn't start taking it earlier. It is genuinely a miracle!

June 4, 2014 2:46 PM

Review by kaitlynhardin:

For Acne: I was hesitant to try Accutane because of it's dangerous side effects. However, as a 17 year old I had been suffering from severe acne since I was 11 years old. Accutane is not a medicine that I would recommend taking if you don't absolutely need to. Prior to starting it, I tried everything you could name- virtually anything they sold in chemists and countless topicals and oral medications, all with little to no effect. Looking back on it, I wish I would have started Accutane sooner. I cannot stress what amazing results I got after finishing my 7 months on the medicine. It did cause the expected dryness of lips, eyes, nose, etc. However, the results of the medicine completely outweigh it's side effects.

May 13, 2014 10:21 PM

Review by Nicoleeee:

For Acne: I couldn't be more thankful for this medicine. I'm so happy I made the decision to take it despite reading so many scary things about it. I can honestly say its probably been the best decision of my life. If you have the opportunity to go on this medicine do it. It will change your life.

April 27, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by JackieRCon3:

For Acne: Accutane is the best medicine in the world. I get every side effect known to man and this medicine only gave me the common side effects. The only side effects I got were dry skin (which was a blessing because my skin was extremely oily), dry lips, and toward the last two months my white blood cell count got low. I would recommend this medicine to everyone. As long as you eat right and are somewhat active you should be fine on this medicine. Also, most say depression is a factor but I have a family history of depression and when I was 12-15 (I am currently 18) I suffered from extreme anxiety and I had no emotional issues with this medicine. It is life changing.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 12:38 AM

Review by Smile face:

For Acne: Few weeks off Accutane and happy with the results. Experienced minimal side effects. Just hope acne will never come back like before.

March 22, 2014 10:41 AM

Review by Nicole___:

For Acne: I'm on my fourth month of Accutane and can honestly say this has changed my life. Four months ago, my confidence was literally non-existent. I couldn't look people in the eye, I hid away from everyone even my family as much as I could, I hated going out in public. My acne wasn't severe or cystic but when you have pimples on your face, you feel like that's all people are looking at. After reading so many scary things about this medicine I was really hesitant about going on it. But I couldn't be happier that I did. I've experienced only dry lips, skin and eyes which is pretty easy to control with a good moisturizer. I sometimes (rarely) experience minor back pain. But its so worth it everything is worth it. I finally have my life back!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2014 8:57 PM

Review by danyelleelayne (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: I've suffered from acne for over 10 years. I went through two treatments of Accutane. It helped clear up my skin, but it didn't help clear up my blackheads. The 2nd time I was on it, my dermatologist kept me on for 8 months and it still wasn't a true success. I have been off Accutane for 2 years now. I still suffer from acne, especially blackheads. I don't break out nearly as bad as before, but it's still a struggle.

March 18, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by Kwh12n:

For Acne: I'm just coming to the end of my fourth month on this medicine and it's worked a dream!! Before having this I cried every morning not wanting to go to school and every night before I went to sleep, I tried every single facial wash and tablet there was (prescribed and over the counter) Since being on the medicine my life has turned around I'm not afraid to take photos with family and friends and I only use light make up I'm not afraid to go out! I did have some side effects such as, sickness, depression, nose bleeds, joint pain, dry skin & chapped lips however the doctor dropped the dosage and now I'm back to my normal self! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2014 7:16 PM