User Reviews for Haloperidol

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Learn more about Haloperidol.

Psychosis 16 reviews 17 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 2 reviews 11 medications

3.5
Summary of Haloperidol reviews 30 reviews 5.3

Reviews for Haloperidol

For Psychosis: "Was on this med for about 30 years. This medication is supposed to only be a temporary fix for anger,paranoia etc.. I took it long term and have permanent damage to my brain and nervous system! It is and old drug first used 1958!! There are so many other options out there now. Don't get started on this drug. You will become dependent on it and will not be able to stop taking it. When I take it I get really paranoid and have anxiety attacks. I can't sit still and pace all day. The worse thing about it is my mom remembers me taking it when I was 16 and it used to work good for me. Now I am 51 and don't need it anymore. I smoked some weed when I was 16 that was laced with PCP. The doctor said the PCP get's in your brain and could take decades"

paulgriswold (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "Parent to son with psychotic experiences diagnosed bipolar mania by one doctor and Schizo affective disorder by another. Been on a 3 year roller coaster nightmare. Refusal to take sulpiride and risperidone orally for any time resulted in having depot injections but our experience to date of the depot injections is more negative given the side affects. Like lost personality, tiredness, restlessness. Bouts of long sleeping followed by walking round and round the room. When standing rocking from foot to foot. Inability to engage in conversations. Sense of hopelessness ..We didn't really clue up on the drug and are concerned about the inability to come off/reduce them because a months worth has been injected then topped up."

fish41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: "it made me have violent twitching and uncontrolled facial movements.... it made my mania Worse! Gonna get back on Thorazine. .."

AChrisA September 16, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "I've been on Haldol for 5 years. I have schizophrenia. This is the only drug that has worked over the period of having this illness. I don't feel I will ever be symptom free there's no magic pill, but since being on this I've been able to manage things much better than before. Really great. I don't like the possibility of the involuntary muscle disease (can't remember what it's called) but I will take that risk to have this benefit."

LCD7888 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 16, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "This was the worst experience I had in my life. I had hallucinations and my b/p was 206/126. It was given IM in the hospital and then at again at the treatment facility. I wrote a letter in my room in case they found me dead. I fought the nurse not to give me another one."

Anonymous September 13, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "Ah, I have a mixed review of Haldol. I started it years ago for psychosis. I've been on many different antipsychotics and for me the older typical ones work better than the newer atypicals. For a while I was so sick I was on both Haldol and Thorazine. That combo really helped a lot. After years of 15 mg of Haldol a day I developed pseudoparkinsonism. I would shake, I had trouble walking, I couldn't write (couldn't form the letters with a pen), and I was drooling all the time. My doctor told me I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 months. Eventually it got to the point that my neurologist began to question the pseudoparkinsonism diagnosis -- she thought I was developing actual Parkinson's Disease. I think I'm done with Haldol."

brokenmind (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2015

For Psychosis: "Weight gain but not as bad as seroquel and zyprexa. Just been on it for 10 days but I wouldn't want to prejudge this med just yet. If your doctor has prescribed this med then take it as he stated otherwise tell them it's not for you."

LisaDarling8789 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

For Psychosis: "Except for a little weight gain, I feel less nervous yet I still experience delusional thoughts kind of OCD type. I am also only on 1mg which is very low, and I plan to ask the doctor to take me off the Zyprexa and increase my Haldol to at least 5mg daily."

Gorgeous345432 April 23, 2015

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "Best medicine I've been on to treat my psychosis without affecting my lipids! Experienced a little restlessness nothing major. Great overall experience!"

only1chris8204 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2015

For Psychosis: "Out of all the neuroleptics I've been on, haloperidol helped my paranoia far better. I did not experience weight gain at all, but I take benztropine for muscle spasms, tremors in my hands and muscle stiffness- all of these are side effects from the haloperidol."

Tye g f September 14, 2014

For Mania: "Caused muscle contraction in My neck. Very painful and frightening. Was given a shot of cogentin and it subsided. Caused drowsiness, constipation and marked sleepiness. Emotional flatness. It increased My depression."

RollinRobert1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2014

Haldol (haloperidol) for Tourette's Syndrome: "My son 13 was taking this and it made tics worse. Blurred vision, erection. His tongue would do weird thing."

tics December 22, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "For years, my Dad had really bad anger issues. He continually kept my Mom in turmoil with his fits of rage to the point that one day she had a Stroke. It was horrendous. When both of them went to a Nursing Home, my Dad was evaluated and diagnosed as being psychotic. The Doctor prescribed Haldol for him and within 3 days, he was a brand new person. He was calm, he laughed, and he was such a joy to visit with. He remained this way until he passed away 5 years later. If he had been given this medicine years before, I feel my Mom would have lived another 20 years."

Anonymous June 24, 2013

For Psychosis: "Only medicine that controls my psychotic symptoms. Does cause some akasthesia. No other side effects noted. The atypical antipsychotics caused weight gain, rapid heart rate, and aggression. Glad I was prescribed an old school tried and true medicine."

Dirty Drew (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2013

For Mania: "In spite of what many people have said about this medicine I have found it very helpful in both treating and preventing episodes of mania. The risk of developing Tardive Dyskinesia is of course a concern but this medicine has been so useful for me. I have received it both by I.M injection and orally as the ten milligram tablets and both routes were well tolerated and effective."

Todd R (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 6, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Experiencing horrible nausea/vomiting with Dilaudid for pain associated with Stage4 Breast cancer. My normal antinausea medication was Zofran, but it started to not work. I was given 0.5 mg I.V. of Haldol every hour for nausea. It worked, but did "knock me to nap" for a little while. After I woke up, I did feel groggy and was able to eat and drink without incident."

Stage4Diva (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2013

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I have Addison's disease we had tried all conventional medications. I got this injected by the ER and told my dr that even though they gave it to me for anxiety I didn't vomit or get nauseous for 24 hrs."

Misty Sierra January 15, 2013

For Psychosis: "Immediately felt a lot better taking this. After a couple of weeks now I have been feeling some kinesia-related issues: sore joints, sore muscles, but I'm not exactly sure it correlates to this medicine because my activity level is varied also. It helps voices and conspiracies chill out. But maybe that's exactly what "they" want! But I have felt immediately better, but am concerned about long-term effects considering the sudden onset of other symptoms. I have been nothing but tired lately too, while I've been getting more sleep and sleeping earlier also. This is something I need to address with my doctors and it does seem like a medicine that does have need for monitoring of the effects. I'd rather not be on it very long."

pjo (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2012

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "My dad started to see things and think things were happening that were not, He was put on Haldol and it works, they were going to slowly take him off it and when we took his noontime pill away he got bad again almost right away. This medicine really has worked for him and allowed him to stay home with us."

Anonymous December 15, 2011

For Psychosis: "My son had a severe acute psychosis and was put on haloperidol for about 2-3 days. He had quite a bad reaction of dystonia (muscle stiffness) which is more common in young people and males (he was 17). He had trouble swallowing, drooled, arched his back involuntarily, etc. It was awful. I do think it helped the psychosis somewhat, but he could not tolerate it."

My Lovely Son September 14, 2011

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "This is going to be kind of long and full of detail. I've been using Haldol for about 3 years now. It basically started when hearing voices got really bad. The combination of Geodon and Abilify DID NOT work. I admitted myself inpatient and got my Haldol. I started on 10mg. It took all the nasty symptoms away. And still does to this day. This is a one amazing medicine. I'm at the point with it now, that I can barely take 2.5 mg, (5mg cut in half) without feeling drugged up though. My body became very sensitive from it. You may gain some weight on this medicine. It does give you the munchies. However, I did weight watchers on this medicine and was able to take off some weight. Again, this medicine is down right amazing."

Kazamyst July 5, 2011

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Haldol (haloperidol) for ICU Agitation: "Helps with anxiety and racing thoughts. Calms my mood down when angry and upset. Side effect is weight gain and being tired."

respinoza5573 June 4, 2011

Haldol (haloperidol) for Tourette's Syndrome: "The Haldol worked great for controlling my Tourette's, but it came with too many side effects so I had to switch. I gained ten pounds in the first week of use which tapered off after around three weeks, but the restlessness was unbearable. I was put on Cogentin for it but then my vision became blurry and could not see anything within eighteen inches. It was horrible."

Red Light January 12, 2011

Haldol (haloperidol) for ICU Agitation: "My father (now deceased) had a tendency to become agitated when confined to ICU for more than a couple of days. He was prescribed Haldol during one such stay. The medicine had a very negative effect; my father became aggressive. One morning I walked in to find that the staff had strapped his hands to the bed overnight! I complained (loudly) to another doctor and my father was taken off Haldol and moved to a private room. Almost immediately he became the sweet, even-tempered man that I always knew. I tried to keep my dad out of ICU after that. "

Anonymous August 23, 2010

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: "I have been taking Haldol for a long time and it has controlled my condition very well."

Anonymous April 2, 2010