User Reviews for Haloperidol

Also known as: Haldol, Haldol Decanoate

Learn more about Haloperidol.

Psychosis 9 reviews 18 medications

3.5
Summary of Haloperidol reviews 21 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Haloperidol

Review by Tye g f:

For Psychosis: Out of all the neuroleptics I've been on, haloperidol helped my paranoia far better. I did not experience weight gain at all, but I take benztropine for muscle spasms, tremors in my hands and muscle stiffness- all of these are side effects from the haloperidol.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2014 6:35 PM

Review by RollinRobert1 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Mania: Caused muscle contraction in My neck. Very painful and frightening. Was given a shot of cogentin and it subsided. Caused drowsiness, constipation and marked sleepiness. Emotional flatness. It increased My depression.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by tics:

Haldol (haloperidol) for Tourette's Syndrome: My son 13 was taking this and it made tics worse. Blurred vision, erection. His tongue would do weird thing.

December 22, 2013 4:10 PM

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: For years, my Dad had really bad anger issues. He continually kept my Mom in turmoil with his fits of rage to the point that one day she had a Stroke. It was horrendous. When both of them went to a Nursing Home, my Dad was evaluated and diagnosed as being psychotic. The Doctor prescribed Haldol for him and within 3 days, he was a brand new person. He was calm, he laughed, and he was such a joy to visit with. He remained this way until he passed away 5 years later. If he had been given this medicine years before, I feel my Mom would have lived another 20 years.

June 24, 2013 10:09 PM

Review by Dirty Drew (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Psychosis: Only medicine that controls my psychotic symptoms. Does cause some akasthesia. No other side effects noted. The atypical antipsychotics caused weight gain, rapid heart rate, and aggression. Glad I was prescribed an old school tried and true medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2013 2:54 AM

Review by Todd R (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Mania: In spite of what many people have said about this medicine I have found it very helpful in both treating and preventing episodes of mania. The risk of developing Tardive Dyskinesia is of course a concern but this medicine has been so useful for me. I have received it both by I.M injection and orally as the ten milligram tablets and both routes were well tolerated and effective.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2013 9:35 PM

Review by Stage4Diva (taken for less than 1 month):

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: Experiencing horrible nausea/vomiting with Dilaudid for pain associated with Stage4 Breast cancer. My normal antinausea medication was Zofran, but it started to not work. I was given 0.5 mg I.V. of Haldol every hour for nausea. It worked, but did "knock me to nap" for a little while. After I woke up, I did feel groggy and was able to eat and drink without incident.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2013 4:07 PM

Review by Misty Sierra:

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: I have Addison's disease we had tried all conventional medications. I got this injected by the ER and told my dr that even though they gave it to me for anxiety I didn't vomit or get nauseous for 24 hrs.

January 15, 2013 7:19 AM

Review by pjo (taken for less than 1 month):

For Psychosis: Immediately felt a lot better taking this. After a couple of weeks now I have been feeling some kinesia-related issues: sore joints, sore muscles, but I'm not exactly sure it correlates to this medicine because my activity level is varied also. It helps voices and conspiracies chill out. But maybe that's exactly what "they" want! But I have felt immediately better, but am concerned about long-term effects considering the sudden onset of other symptoms. I have been nothing but tired lately too, while I've been getting more sleep and sleeping earlier also. This is something I need to address with my doctors and it does seem like a medicine that does have need for monitoring of the effects. I'd rather not be on it very long.

May 11, 2012 2:37 PM

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: My dad started to see things and think things were happening that were not, He was put on Haldol and it works, they were going to slowly take him off it and when we took his noontime pill away he got bad again almost right away. This medicine really has worked for him and allowed him to stay home with us.

December 15, 2011 6:40 PM

Review by My Lovely Son:

For Psychosis: My son had a severe acute psychosis and was put on haloperidol for about 2-3 days. He had quite a bad reaction of dystonia (muscle stiffness) which is more common in young people and males (he was 17). He had trouble swallowing, drooled, arched his back involuntarily, etc. It was awful. I do think it helped the psychosis somewhat, but he could not tolerate it.

September 14, 2011 6:02 PM

Review by Kazamyst:

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: This is going to be kind of long and full of detail. I've been using Haldol for about 3 years now. It basically started when hearing voices got really bad. The combination of Geodon and Abilify DID NOT work. I admitted myself inpatient and got my Haldol. I started on 10mg. It took all the nasty symptoms away. And still does to this day. This is a one amazing medicine. I'm at the point with it now, that I can barely take 2.5 mg, (5mg cut in half) without feeling drugged up though. My body became very sensitive from it. You may gain some weight on this medicine. It does give you the munchies. However, I did weight watchers on this medicine and was able to take off some weight. Again, this medicine is down right amazing.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2011 11:42 AM

Review by respinoza5573:

Haldol (haloperidol) for ICU Agitation: Helps with anxiety and racing thoughts. Calms my mood down when angry and upset. Side effect is weight gain and being tired.

June 4, 2011 2:40 AM

Review by Red Light:

Haldol (haloperidol) for Tourette's Syndrome: The Haldol worked great for controlling my Tourette's, but it came with too many side effects so I had to switch. I gained ten pounds in the first week of use which tapered off after around three weeks, but the restlessness was unbearable. I was put on Cogentin for it but then my vision became blurry and could not see anything within eighteen inches. It was horrible.

January 12, 2011 2:26 PM

Haldol (haloperidol) for ICU Agitation: My father (now deceased) had a tendency to become agitated when confined to ICU for more than a couple of days. He was prescribed Haldol during one such stay. The medicine had a very negative effect; my father became aggressive. One morning I walked in to find that the staff had strapped his hands to the bed overnight! I complained (loudly) to another doctor and my father was taken off Haldol and moved to a private room. Almost immediately he became the sweet, even-tempered man that I always knew. I tried to keep my dad out of ICU after that.

August 23, 2010 10:39 AM

Haldol (haloperidol) for Psychosis: I have been taking Haldol for a long time and it has controlled my condition very well.

April 2, 2010 4:51 AM

Haldol (haloperidol) for Nausea/Vomiting: Haldol was given to my mother for nausea/vomiting in her final days/weeks of battling colon cancer. Haldol worked great for nausea but the side effects were horrible. She was not drowsy, she was out! Not coherent, confused, wasn't able to eat and at times was agitated. Be very careful using this medication. It took two days after stopping the medication for it to leave her system and return to a normal state of mind.

March 3, 2010 7:39 AM

Review by Raylee:

Haldol (haloperidol) for Dementia: Haloperidol is not for use in psychotic conditions related to dementia. Haloperidol may cause heart failure, sudden death, or pneumonia in older adults with dementia-related conditions. (taken from this website)

February 9, 2010 6:43 AM

For Dementia: It can cause serious drowsiness. consult doctor for change of dose if you experience drowsiness and feeling like sleepy all the time.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2009 7:33 AM

For : This has tremendously helped me when I get manic in addition to my Bipolar drugs.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2008 1:00 PM

Review by blakecall:

Haldol (haloperidol) for Mania: This has tremendously helped me when I get manic in addition to my Bipolar drugs.

August 18, 2008 12:59 PM

Review by dwcharmedmn:

For Psychosis: It seems to have my bi-polar condition under control it helps along with the medication celexa. I have found my moods not swinging as much.

March 20, 2008 6:13 PM