Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Frova

Learn more about Frova.

Frova review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Frova to treat Migraine

Review by yjmatt (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had migraines since I have been a child. I am now 51. With my migraines, I have aura, face numb, arms and fingers tingling and processing becomes slow. This is only my second Frova because I usually just take Tylenol because I don't like the other medication side effects. When I got up this morning, had awful headache with nausea. I had tried Tylenol this morning and a fourth of a Phenergan... No relief. Finally, went and got the sample of Frova my doc gave me and with much anxiety, I took it. It has been roughly forty minutes, headache easing and seems to be gone. Really no side effects yet! Great pill for me.

July 1, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by Shane Hetrick:

Numb head is better than pounding headache.

May 2, 2014 9:34 PM

Review by blacknred (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had a generally great reaction to Frova. After having bad side effects for years it was nice to find a med that works 95% of the time and without major side effects. There is some light nausea if taken first thing in the morning before breakfast. The main problem is with insurance since it is still a relatively new med. If its not covered it will cost about $450.

April 5, 2014 10:34 AM

Review by Parangalicutirimicuaro:

My migraines are very bad. This is the only medicine that works for me and when it does not I take it with 2 Anacin and I'm perfect.

January 9, 2014 10:56 PM

Review by Rebecca_B:

I went to the Dr. today for a medication refill, and happened to have a migraine which was getting to the point of vomiting. When the Dr. came in, he gave me a sample which I took in the office. Within an hour, it was gone, without the weird side effects of Imitrex and Relpax.

October 15, 2013 5:23 PM

Review by JLynnie72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Frova had changed my life. I went from having debilitating migraines and missing days from work, not to mention vomiting from being in such excruciating pain for hours on end. I can't believe I could take this one pill and my migraine vanished almost instantaneously 99% of the time! Unfortunately, my insurance just told me two months ago that they would no longer cover Frova. I've been on Maxalt and it does NOTHING for me. I'm going to see if my neurologist will contact insurance and try to see if they will pay for at least part of it again. It's torture to know there's basically a cure for my migraines, but I'm no longer allowed to have it.

September 27, 2013 4:40 AM

Review by Sweetredhead (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I can't sing the praises of Frova enough. I have had migraines since I was diagnosed when I was 10 years old and I have been on 3 different migraine medication studies including one on Biofeedback for migraines. I have tried countless medicines that my neurologists have prescribed and alternative treatments like acupuncture. I have suffered for close to 30 years of having up to 3 migraines a week. I was kicked out of school for absences even with the top neurologist in the state saying that there was nothing I could do to prevent them. I was unable to work full time for 15 years. I went to a pain clinic & they had me try Frova. It worked & without the side effects of Imitrex. It has changed my life. It stops them completely. I have a normal life now.

August 21, 2013 5:51 PM

Review by vipdiamond:

I have had migraines for 35 years. I've tried them all. Imitrex shots were the only other thing that worked but they hurt and gave a weird rush. Mine are wicked. Frova with 800mg of prescription Motrin takes it away within 2 hours if it is one I woke up with that was severe and keeps it away. It also is great for preventing menstrual migraines when you know they are coming on and if you are one that gets a migraine with weather change. If you need more than what the insurance company allows get your doctor to call they will up it. I get 13 a month and make sure I refill it every month. I got rebound headaches before using Frova, when this happens the doctor gives me a shot and ends the cycle.

January 21, 2013 12:28 AM

Frova does a wonderful job of relieving my migraine headaches after 20-30 minutes however I always get one or two rebound headaches. Almost exactly 24 hours and then 48 hours after my original headache, my migraine returns and I have to take another pill. Unfortunately my insurance will only pay for 6 tablets a month. Luckily I usually only get 2 menstrual migraines a month but it takes all 6 pills to get rid of them.

October 10, 2012 2:22 PM

Very effective. As a matter of fact, it has been the only thing that has worked without having vicious side effects. It is however, so very expensive.

March 8, 2012 5:04 PM

I have had migraine headaches for 13 years. I have tried everything on the market, most work for a bit, Imitrex was the best but this too has always been hit and miss. Frova has worked all but 1 time. Works within 15minutes to an hour. I am able to go to work and do anything I would normally do, if anything I am a little sluggish maybe. It is truly a miracle. Expensive but well worth it if you are a chronic migraine sufferer.

February 11, 2012 10:33 PM

This is the best migraine medication I have found for me and my daughter. We have tried other medications, but they either have undesirable side effects or they don't relieve the migraine.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2011 7:52 PM

The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me besides shots of narcotics in the ER..but VERY expensive. But worth it. It has saved my life, I can take 1 and pretty much go on with my day and don't need to lay down in a dark "cave" for hours on end.

February 22, 2011 3:13 AM

I have had chronic migraines since I was about 4 years old and have taken Zomig, Imitrex, Maxalt in the way of triptans and also been on beta-blockers, antidepressants, Tylenol #3 and #4, Midrin, Vicodin etc. in the past for them. Zomig gave horrible side effects for awhile, Maxalt was not recommended with Effexor XR although that was unknown at the time of prescription, Imitrex gives me high blood pressure (which I have chronic low blood pressure) as well as shakes, fatigue, achiness all over, etc. and Tylenol #3's and #4's make me nauseous and dizzy. Although nothing lasts for longer than a few hours for me and everything seems to cause rebound migraines, Frova does the best at taking the pain away with lower side effects.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2011 5:46 PM

I first started using Frova 4 1/2 years ago. It was wonderful and a great replacement for the Imitrex that no longer worked and had some side effects. Now I am having rebound headaches. I can guarantee I will have another migraine at almost exactly the 24 hour mark from the time I last took Frova. Have switched back to Imitrex and it is doing the job.

January 23, 2011 9:47 PM

Review by chelleanne23:

Frova is awesome! I have suffered with migraines for over 15 years and tried many different medications. I can take this and 15-20 minutes later its gone. Occasionally, I will feel a little tired but very rarely. Sadly, my new insurance company has decided that (after only one script) they will not pay for any more and they want me to "step down" to something different.

August 5, 2010 8:32 PM

Review by Sweetredhead:

I have had migraine headaches since I was 3 years old. I have been through 3 different migraine studies with different drugs and biofeedback. I have tried all the alternative treatments. Imitrex and others caused horrible side effects for me and didn't even touch my migraine pain. I went to a new clinic and the nurse practitioner gave me a sample pack of Frova to try. I had tried so many things by this point (30 years worth) that I had given up. I thought I would humor the pain clinic by trying it just to show them that it wasn't going to help me. 2 days later when I felt a migraine coming on I tried Frova. Within a 1/2 hr it was gone, completely gone not just reduced. It has worked every time since.

February 9, 2010 1:16 PM

Review by Bullymom:

I have had migraines with auras since puberty, and have tried every prescription migraine medication since then. I have had no success with any of the other classes of medications. I especially like Frova because I can take it when I get an aura, long before the migraine pain hits me.

December 27, 2009 11:15 PM

Frova takes away the throbbing pain associated with my menstrual migraines to allow me to get through the day without being bed-ridden. I don't have to dread my monthly visitor so much now. I agree with the comment on the pricing...way too expensive for just 9 tablets!

November 2, 2009 4:02 PM

Review by jalyso:

Long acting triptan, zero side effects for me. Can be used for prevention of menstrual migraines. Love it!

September 16, 2009 8:25 PM

Everytime I took Frova I ended up with rebound migraines for 2-3 days afterwards. It simply wasn't worth it for me and I went back to Imitrex, which doesn't cause rebound migraines for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2009 11:42 PM

No side effects and this medication knocks out my worst migraines, 99% of the time!

March 5, 2009 2:00 PM

Review by sunshinedawn:

I've had a migraine for 4 days straight and tried different medicines including Naproxen (which helps my mom's migraines), Exedrin Migraine, Advil, etc. Nothing provided ANY relief. This morning my doctor gave me Frova and a Dex shot. Within 45 mins my migraine, that's been plaguing me from the moment I wake up to the minute I go to bed, is finally gone. I am so happy I can now function again without the crippling pain that's forced me stay inside all week unable to move without my head throbbing. I am so grateful for this wonder-drug. I highly recommend it. Thanks Frova.

October 10, 2008 11:47 AM

I have tried numerous migraine medications, and Frova is the clear winner for me. It worked quickly, didn't cause dizziness, and there was no rebound the next day. If they could just decrease the cost of these medicines it would be perfect.

July 22, 2008 6:04 PM

Review by signsofstatic:

THANK YOU Endo Pharmaceuticals for coming up with this life-changing migraine treatment. It has proven to work much more effectively than Imitrex, Zomig, Relpax and Maxalt--and has relatively no side effects, unlike the other triptans, which have helped with my migraines, but had so many unpleasant side effects (especially in the case of Imitrex). And although I am a male, I've heard wonderful things concerning Frova in the treatment of menstrual migraines. Bravo!

March 12, 2008 8:02 PM