User Reviews for Orsythia

Learn more about Orsythia.

Orsythia Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Orsythia to treat Birth Control

"The only reason I even give this two stars is because I never had an issue with pregnancy on this pill. I started with Aviane (which I had no side effects and generally felt great) and was switched to this by my pharmacy. Since then things have gone down hill. I had very mild anxiety before going on the pill, Aviane did nothing to it but Orsythia has amplified it to the point where I've really struggled with my anxiety and mood swings. A few days before my period the smallest things will set me off into episodes of weeping and panic. I've gained some weight (5 pounds). Experienced nausea every so often (more than Aviane). Worst, is the cystic acne on my chin. While my periods have been lighter and shorter, cramps have gotten worse. Terrible"

Terrible Pill (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2016

"I have tried probably about 8 different birth control pills trying to find the right one, and Orsythia is it! I used to get yeast infections right before my period like clockwork, not an issue as soon as I began this one. I have been on it for 3 years, and sexually active the entire time without condoms, and have not gotten pregnant. I haven't noticed any breast tenderness or nausea (and I have a SUPER sensitive stomach and am nauseated by many things). The only side effect I have been able to notice is vaginal dryness, but this his happened with every hormonal contraceptive I tried. Clearly this isn't the pill for everyone, but for people who are having trouble finding the right one, give it a chance, it truly changed my life."

hall15 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2016

"I have been on this pill for 7 months and it is good except for the extreme nausea and it causes me to not want to eat sometimes. So I have lost weight except in my boobs which actually stayed at my normal C cup. If you have anxiety and anxiety attacks like I do just know that any hormonal birth control can make them more frequent."

BatGirl101 May 13, 2016

"I was on this pill for 1 1/2 years. When I first started taking it, I had the usual side effects, upset stomach but when I took it with food, I was fine. However if you miss a pill, only retake 1 (the missed pill), not 2 or you will vomit then continue the rest of the pack. I never had any pregnancy scare, my period always came on like clockwork. In April of 2016, my period came on twice and the second time it did not go off for almost 4 weeks. My breasts were also super sensitive. My doctor switched me the next month. Other than that I had no issues and loved this birth control. I recommend to watch out for unusual signals that may present themselves."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2016

"Ive been on Orsythia for 3 weeks. The side effects im having are nightly nausea probably 4-5 nights a week. One night my first week i did vomit. Ugh, its been miserable. The other main side effect is that i have had my period for 15 days now. Its a regular flow too!! That has honestly been obnoxious too. I am not sexually active so i dont know if it is working to actually be birth control. I will say though, i have depression and anxiety and i have NO noticeable mood changes which is awesome:) also no weight gain!!! Woo!!! My boobs are a little bigger though.... Which isnt so bad;) anyways i think its a lot better than Beyaz which i was on about 4 years ago. :)"

Juliaakatrinaa May 4, 2016

"I have only been taking this birth control for 3 weeks now. I used to take Cryselle, which I was on for 2 years, and never experienced any problems with it besides weight gain, which was around 20 pounds. I have been off of Cryselle for a year now, but about 2 and a half months ago, I got in to a new relationship, so I decided to get back on the pill. I went to planned parenthood where they prescribed me Orsythia, and the doctor mentioned to me that spotting, nausea, & feeling "funny" were the most common side effects. Let me say that my pill was not covered by my health insurance so I had to throw a fit at my insurance company, CVS, and the doctor. Orsythia costs me $27 a month. Anyways, about a week and a half after "rapid starting" the pill on a Friday, I began to notice I was grinding and clenching my teeth. I put put this off, until I started to realize I was so anxiety-ridden that I couldn't sleep, eat, and I felt as of I was almost in a dream-like state. Not to mention, I do have manic-depressive disorder, and it is clearly stated that Orsythia can worsen symptoms in mentally ill patients. Other than the extremely severe anxiety, the pill itself is not so bad. My first period only lasted about two & a half days, I had no cramping at all and I usually cramp before.& during my period, I also had unprotected sex 'exactly' 7 days after beginning the pill, so it's safe to say that it does the job at preventing pregnancy, it's just the side effects that make it so horrible."

Mikala W. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

"So far, I haven't gotten pregnant so this medication is doing its job. I have experienced a few side effects. I have a complete loss of appetite (I haven't been hungry in 2 months) and I've lost about 5 pounds. Sex can be painful since I can't seem to produce natural lubrication. My period is a barely a period, I wouldn't even call it a "flow" and it lasts maybe a day and a half. Most concerning is before starting Orsythia I had low blood pressure, but after two months my blood pressure has gone up so much it is technically stage 1 hypertension (despite taking perscription water pills)."

Anonymous April 5, 2016

"I was on birth control for about 15 years and decided to stop to give my body a break. I got pregnant during that time and I started taking this birth control after I had my baby. I've been on it about 5 months now. So far, the only good things is it has kept me from getting pregnant and cleared up my skin. The bad things....it has made me gain some weight, I now start to get my period before my pills are done, I feel like I am sweatier and it has given me large painful cysts under my right armpit. I am debating whether or not to get off of this pill or give it a little bit more time."

BDess9115 March 29, 2016

"When I first went on the pill, it was to help with my pmdd, which I will say, helped significantly. However, I have NOO SEX DRIVE. I used to masturbate at least once or twice every day but now I'm lucky if I can even make myself orgasm in a month. Orgasms don't feel very good anymore and nothing turns me on. Sex is painful and boring. Other than that, it did make my periods a bit shorter which is one positive of this pill. The first week I was on the pill I was super queasy ugh! Some other side effects have been weight gain (only about 3-5 pounds but still), and horrible acne in the first 3 months. I'm seeing my obgyn soon because my low sex drive is hurting my relationship and makes life miserable."

Maddieh98 (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

"I have been on it for about 6 months, and it is great except for the fact that it makes me extremely emotional the day before my period and I have cramps on my period. Both of which I never had before using the pill."

erin302 February 9, 2016

"I was on Orsythia for about a year. It did its job in that I did not get pregnant, but I had to quit taking it because of the awful side effects. Weight gain was minimal but definitely occurred. After about 6 months my acne became worse than it has ever been, but even that wasn't the worst of it. Orsythia brought my anxiety to an all-time high, and I was experiencing awful mood swings. All of these symptoms practically disappeared within 2 months after quitting it. I did not have anxiety before taking Orsythia, and now even though it has been almost a year since I quit (haven't taken another birth control since) I still have bouts of anxiety from time to time. I believe my anxiety was triggered by this birth control."

JessicaSpitzer February 8, 2016

"I'm a veteran birth control user 6 years and this one is so-so. I was on Seasonale for about 3 years. I had to switch to this one because my insurance didn't cover it anymore. So far I've been on it for 1 month and if you have normal skin *not* prone to breakouts, - do not go on this pill. It will break you out bad. Even down there! Which never happened to me before. It does the exact opposite of Seasonale. Seasonale dried the vaginal area and this pill makes you discharge so much it's never dry hence the breakouts. Moods are pretty normal. Sex drive is a little bit better than Seasonale since you don't have to use lube. Overall it's okay. I'm going to switch though as soon as I am done with the 3 pack."

Akeba February 3, 2016

"I've been on this pill for about 2 years , I've never really had a problem with this pill ...heck I have no complains really . I just notice sometimes I get break through bleeding especially if I start a new cycle after skipping a month. My skin remains clear , my mood swings are in check plus I get a lighter period. I really do believe this pill works differently for different people. Yes my breast do get tender around my period but that's normal for my body. I did gain wieght but I'm not sure it was due to the pill Bc I do eat a lot. Lol. My body only filled out more in the right places. I also have a healthy sex drive unlike when I was on the Nuevo ring."

LolaaElle January 31, 2016

"I have been on birth control pills for about 10 years now, and I REALLY don't like this one. I switched from Lomedia 24 because I wasn't getting periods, which made me a little nervous. I have been on this pill for 4 months now and I consistently get my period on the 9th day of the pack and it lasts between 5-7 days, which is really long for an oral contraceptive. I normally have nice skin and it has gone completely to hell - pimples and cystic acne on the lower half of my face. I also experienced a serious increase in appetite, which I have never experienced on a pill. I gave this pill a fair chance, but I'm getting back on my old pill next month. I gave this a 3/10 because I haven't gotten pregnant."

Britt B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

"I was on this for 2 years and at first it was great! It worked great... BUT a few months into it I noticed I had no sex drive, heavier periods, minor acne flare ups (I didn't have acne before), & extreme mood swings. A year into it everyone started thinking I was crazy so I went to see a physiologist to help my moodiness. A year & a half in I realized nothing was helping, I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. That was odd to me being that when I was in high school I was happy & outgoing.. My family blamed my relationship for my unhappiness but it was the pill. On top of that I gained 30lbs within the two years of taking it. Now I'm off that crap & happier than ever, I'm normal me again & my relationships with everyone improved!"

Jordie Nicole January 12, 2016

"I've been on this now for a little over a year. At first the birth control worked great for me! I would only have about four day periods and I barely ever had cramps. But starting about three or four months ago, everytime I'm not supposed to be on my period I will start on my first or second week of the pills and will be on it until my month of pills are gone. I'm not sure if it's my bodies way of saying it doesn't like this pill anymore or what.. has this happened to anyone else? I'm going to my gyno soon and I want to either switch my BC or get completely off it."

Kay10 January 8, 2016

"I tried this for my acne- First 3 months it was under control then suddenly got extremely worse. I have so much hormonal acne on my chin and neck, it has NEVER been this bad. My periods are great but I do not recommend this for acne."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

"This birth control was completely effective for me when I was sexually active. However when I was not sexually active for my last two months of taking this pill my periods were more painful and barely bled at all. But while I was sexually active I barely had any acne, didn't gain any weight, and had no problems with my sex drive. I took this birth control for almost 2 years."

Alexandriaelaine December 27, 2015

"I was given this to treat my cystic acne, and severe mood swings due to PMDD. This isn't my first time on birth control, either. Orsythia has been working well, a little too well! My acne vanished, my skin texture changed (for the better), and I no longer lash out at anyone for simply calling my name. However, now that it's been in my system for 5 months, I've developed dependent edema. My legs swell up like balloons, and they're firm to the touch. Anyway, overall, it works great, but with that nasty edema, I've been switched to a lower dosage of another brand. If you need a BC with some UMF!, Orsythia is your best bet. If not, find something weaker."

Meowmixez (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

"I left a review a month after I was on this pill and gave it a 10/10. Now after three months, my opinion and experience has changed entirely. 1. I have never had a yeast infection and I am 99% sure I had one and it is finally gone after a couple of weeks. 2. My periods are painful and heavy. 3. I am currently experiencing heavy bleeding while having a week left of my pills (i.e. I'm not supposed to be on my period until next week). I am very concerned and am calling my gyno tomorrow to switch pills immediately. I loved the pill I was on a year ago (ortho tri cyclen lo) so I think I'm going to look into it again. Please disregard my last review under Lindsey S."

Lindsey S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

"For the first few months everything was fine. My periods were short and light and I didn't experience any cramps. After about a year or so I started gaining so much weight and experiencing mood swings, increased sex drive and tender breasts. I believe the birth control does its job, but the side effects aren't worth it. I got off of them for awhile and my body felt so much better/ balanced but I got back on to regulate my period again because it came on every 2 weeks. I'm switching as soon as I can."

JaziFae (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2015

"Everything was good with this BC except for the fact that it ruined my skin. I stopped after a year, took a break and started it again and both times I had terrible outbreaks all over my chest and face even though I had never had acne before. I've gone off it a second time and my skin still has not recovered. I wish it didn't do that because I would like to stay on it but I can't handle the acne it gives me. I never got mood swings or any other bad side effects while on it."

KateTX December 18, 2015

"When taking orsythia, I got yeast infection every three months , does anyone have a same problem as me?"

Fromhk (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2015

"Age 29, Japanese. I've been on this BC for about 1.5week and this is my first time to use BC in my entire life. I was very worried about using Orsythia that is not approved in Japan. I couldn't even find any info in Japanese, so wasn't sure if it fits Japanese bodies. Right after I started to take the pill, I had the same symptoms as I do during period such as cramping. On the 9th day, I started to bleed but like a spot (still need a pad). I checked the Japanese site and found out that it was a normal side effect ppl have when they start to use BC. So maybe even using different brands, I would have the same thing. The site said that the symptoms wouldn't last longer than 3 months. I'm still bleeding on the 11th day but gotta see."

Matsumoto December 4, 2015

"When I started living with other women, their menstrual cycles pulled mine out of sync although I was taking Orsythia and should have my periods timed exactly. I haven't had any side effects however, and the pill is working."

Amy-gdala December 3, 2015