User Reviews for Lutera

Ovarian Cysts 1 reviews 55 medications

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome 2 reviews 97 medications

Summary of Lutera reviews 200 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Lutera

For Birth Control "I first started taking Lutera around the beginning of January. I noticed immediate mood swings within the first 2 weeks of taking it, I had a little trouble sleeping one night & literally started sobbing out of no where (mind you I'm not a very emotional person). It made me EXTREMELY depressed, & I only ever felt angry or sad, never happy, not to mention I felt very disconnected to my boyfriend who I am deeply in love with. I immediately got off of it during the third week. They say to stick it out the first 3 weeks at LEAST but I could not stay on it one more day. I immediately noticed the changes & I was back to my spunky positive self, thank god! ( :"

notpleased (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Lutera 28 for a year now. I've noticed how if I'm late taking my pill each day, even by two hours, I'll spot or even start my period early. MAJOR mood swings and depression. Some days I think I'm loosing my mind. It's effective in preventing pregnancy, however I've completely LOST my libido. If you're considering taking this pill, I would look into other BC options besides this one."

lady-lava (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Before I was on Lutera- I was on Lo Loestin FE (which was awful!- I would bleed literally two weeks out of the month, had no sex drive and gained 10 lbs). After switching to Lutera, which I have been on for a month now, my mood swings have been consistent (even though I cried when a dog commercial came on), I have actually lost weight, there is no break through bleeding, and my sex drive is back to normal, AND this is covered a 100% by my insurance. Also, no bad side effects such as acne, stomach pain, or severe discomfort in any form. The only thing is my boobs swell up a little bit, but no complaints there. This is such a great pill! I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to start a new BC or wanting to switch."

Charity Larson January 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been taking lutera for a couple of years now. I recently stopped taking it this month (ran out of refills and need to see the doc again) and regret it to the fullest. I am going through really painful cramps at the moment, which I haven't had for years!!!!!! The only problem I have with this particular birth control pill is that you cannot smoke while taking it. This makes me wonder what exactly is in this one that separates from the other birth control pills that you can smoke with? Either way, because of the deadly combination of smoking and taking these pills, I've stopped smoking. I am 24 now, 5'1, 110 LBs"

JasperRILEY January 19, 2016

For Birth Control "This bc has almost negated my cramps during the placebo/period week, my skin seems clearer in general though when I do get a pimple it's harder to the touch, my breasts got a little fuller (no sensitivity), and I'm bloated/constipated during the 3 active pill weeks ALL THE TIME. I can't tell if I gained weight or not because of this but if I did, it's less than 5lbs. That's the only reason I rated this 8/10, that and I'm not sure but I'd say be aware that it may exaggerate bad moods. No babies so far either! Again just watch how you're eating and your mood. Maybe take B12 if it helps. I'm 5'2, 135lbs, and fit if that helps as well."

Space Casey (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I started this medication two months ago and I start my third pack tomorrow. This is the first hormonal birth control method I have used and I am very satisfied. Before I started it, I had terrible PMS. I was ready to go on antidepressants if birth control did not help; I felt that bad. As soon as the second half of my cycle began, (for me, around day 16) I was very depressed until my period, to the point of missing work, not showering, not even getting out of bed. Also had outbursts of anger, extreme fatigue, skin got oilier, and had headaches throughout the month. All that went away when I started this pill. My breasts feel sore and got bigger, but all other minor side effects went away after the first two weeks."

EC221 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on lutera for about a month now. I like it. No weight gain, no severe acne, since I usually have a couple of pimples on my face no changes. Loss of appetite. I, myself am 5'1 and weight about 145 no sudden weight gain. Although, my breast do get tender from time to time being a 38 DD it gets kind of annoying. Regardless, I recommend the pill"

Anonymous January 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I just want to review this birth control because I know people are more likely to hop on the interweb to write negative reviews rather than positive ones. I had the Mirena for almost five years and all the sudden CRAZY ACNE started. I wanted a BC pill to help with it, and I was given Lutera. PROS: After the first few weeks, I didn't break out nearly as bad as I was before taking it. Regulated period after the second month. My boobs! They're bigger! CONS: Acne was worse the first couple of weeks. First period was gross. Brown, and it came before the off week. Give it a chance, I'm on my tenth week. You need to give it a few months before deciding you hate it!! It takes a while to regulate everything."

BrookeBeverly January 2, 2016

For Birth Control "First my first time on birth control this had to be the worse option for me. The first month was fine, the second month my period lasted for 18 days, the third month I began to feel dizzy the day before my period would start, I would get terribly sick before each period after that. For the first 4 months I'd have tender breasts for the entire month. I gave it an extra 3 months to see if anything would change since my body was just trying to adjust to the new medication but nothing changed. I got tired of the 2 week long periods so I stopped the medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2015

For Birth Control "Horrible mood swings! :( Changing ASAP!"

Anonymous December 5, 2015

For Birth Control "Worst birth control experience. This pill made me relapse in my depression and caused the most annoying mood swings. I have never had acne until I started this pill, and the painful acne was on my face, back, and shoulders. I am a fit girl, but have certainly lost muscle mass from this pill. I have been on Lutera for 2 months and I will not be using it again :("

Sharonn898 November 30, 2015

For Birth Control "Honestly, this is one of the worst birth control pills I've ever taken. I've been on my period for 14 days because of this pill. I'm constantly hungry, emotional, and will get irritated at the littlest things. I hate it, calling my doctor tomorrow to get a new prescription."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on Lutera for 2 months. The only bad side effect I'm having is horrible cramps during my period. I've had a baby before and the cramps feel like early or Braxton hicks contractions. The bleeding is light. No acne, break thru bleeding or decrease sex drive. The other side effects like dry eyes with contacts, nausea here there is bearable . I just wear my glasses sometimes. I haven't had any weight gain. I had a really bad headache before this period. And it lasted about a day or so. Other than that I'm satisfied with the pill. It's doing the job of keeping me from getting pregnant."

Mrs. Gross (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I started taking lutera because when I was on my period I had horrible cramps, nausea and my skin when pale. Lutera took all that away and it was the best. I had a regular period and no pain at all. But it made my face break out like never before, i have never had acne just a pimple on my period. Now my face is red on my cheeks and I look like I have some kind of desease because it also gave me scars and some ugly spots"

Bea93 November 13, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on Lutera for over a year now and it has worked great. There have been no mood swings, no weight gain and I have seen a decrease in my period cramps and the length of my period. In the first few months, I did have break through bleeding but that went away by the third month. I take my pill at 8 pm every night, a few times later (but still within a 3 hr window) and have not gotten pregnant though I have had unprotected sex on more than one occasion. I would recommend to anyone."

amblynn (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2015

For Birth Control "Had no problems at all while on this pill. Lost weight, periods were lighter, skin got better, didn't get pregnant. The only reason I'm stopping is because I'm getting the implant now but if that doesn't work out I'm definitely going back to this pill! I highly recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on this pill for 16 days now. Despite the fact that I have only taken this pill 16 times, I have noticed drastic negative changes in myself. I can assure you that I am not exaggerating my experiences with this pill when I describe it, however, I wish that were the case... Physical Changes I have experienced while taking Lutera: -Painful, nasty-looking acne on my face, back, and shoulders (I have NEVER had acne in my 19 years of life) -Weight gain in my abdominal area and shoulders (I have not weighed myself because I am terrified to do so, since it has been that drastic) -Constant hunger that is difficult for me to control -I have my period 2 weeks sooner than I should this month"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2015

For Ovarian Cysts "I tried this birth control pill when generess fe stopped their coupon program that allowed to pay $25/mo. Still pricey compared to the many options available for $10 or less, but I loved generess fe so it was totally worth it. Anyway, the price went up to $40/mo. without the coupon, so I decided to try something else. My doc recommended Lutera and my insurance covered it completely. Within a month of taking the pill, I turned into a complete nightmare to be around. I didn't gain weight or breakout as some other reviews noted, but was always irritable and never wanted to be around anyone. My poor fiance was probably scared to death of me; everything he did was wrong, and I made sure to let him know. I switched back to generess after 2 mos."

kman1114 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been on Lutera for 2 weeks now and I hate it. I'm a 20 year old college student 5'3 120 Lbs. after taking Lutera I now weigh 125 (already). I'm constantly crying at everything, for no reason and I never cried before. For example I tried to cross the road to get to class and I saw a car coming so I cried. I was sitting in class and got hungry and had to forceful hold tears back... Not normal. I also lash out very often at nothing I should be mad about. It's also making me break out SO MUCH!! Like huge cystic pimples that no one wants to see. I keep going back and fourth about whether or not I should get off cause well I don't want to get pregnant, but I also don't want to be fat, moody, and pimply."

Andybenzzzzzzzzxxz (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I wanted this pill to work because I loved lessina for 7 years and then it stopped working for me. Lutera was close to this pill. It was horrible for me though. Week 1 always dry....down there and mouth and eyes. Week 2 extreme extreme bloating as if I drank a bottle of salt water which would last week 3 as well.....even my fingers and feet were severely swollen. Some how my sex drive increased though which is the only reason I tried to give it 3 months and gave it 2 stars instead of 1 but the severe bloating, weight gain and high anxiety in the middle of my cycle were unbearable. Searching for yet another pill :-("

Ji102 September 24, 2015

For Birth Control "After being off BC for 8 years I finally had to get back on, Ive been on this BC for 2 months, no problems so far. I use to get severe cramps but since taking Lutera its been all better. No weight gain, no mood swings or no loss of sleep either. My skin has cleared up a bit as well, I used to break out before my time off the month and now i dont. So far so good, everybody is different, what might not work for me, wont work for others."

Carol May September 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on Lutera for about a year in 2011 and I wound up in the hospital because of crippling pain near my right ovary, they could not figure out what the problem was. I stopped taking the birth control and the pain was bearable. However, since then every time I have my period the pain comes back and it's always in the same spot. The pain is still terrible normally when i have the pain I can't walk or even shift my weight around. The doctors now think the birth control caused permanent damage to my right ovary be very cautious"

Amanda35w September 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I started this birth control because after taking my other for 2 years it started making me nauseous during my period. Ever since I've starting taking this medicine I've had the worst mood swings I'll go from laughing to pure anger then crying. Not to mention it's made me incredibly depressed and now I have cramps 24/7 and not just during my period. Also, my nausea has gotten way worse. And dont even think about having sex.. i have no sex drive at all. Nada. And when i do have sex it hurts and is in not enjoyable in any way. I would not recommend this medicine to anyone The effects it takes on your body is horrible."

Ansleigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I started taking lutera because I have horrible pain and insane cramps, hot flashes, etc on my period. I could've taken a pain killer but I chose I could just go on birth control again. I used to be on ortho Tri cyclin lo. This was a low dose of lutera they told me so I said ok. It worked as far as birth control and took my cramps and pain away right away which was a plus. On my 4th pack I started noticing I had very bad anxiety, I was sweating in my sleep, feeling zoned out after a full nights sleep I hated how it made me feel. So I stopped taking it. After 3 days of stopping, I started having light brown discharge and horrible cramps. The longer I've been off it now for a week the worse it is, heavier discharge, headaches, bodyhurts and I have bleeding"

zdymz (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2015

For Birth Control "This is my second month on Lutera and it has sucked. I just had news that I may have a blood clot in my neck because of the med. It has caused me unbearable migraines and a bit of vision problems. My doctor has just told me to stop because I am very likely to get thrombosis because of this birth control"

ElaineN August 28, 2015