User Reviews for Lutera

Learn more about Lutera.

Lutera Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

"I started with Ortho Tri Cyclen, and only switched because of breakthrough bleeding. I am currently on Day 40. The first two weeks I noticed nausea, listlessness, and mild depression, but thought nothing of it because I was starting a new dose of hormones. No breakouts, weight gain or bleeding. Week one in the second pack, the nausea was back and accompanied by headaches. I noticed myself starting to get depressed again, and my anxiety was constant all day. I went through a spell and cried for two and a half days in a row. I then knew it was definitely hormone related because nothing was even wrong. This almost cost me my relationship."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

"I started taking Lutera the end of Feb. 2016. I was getting married and thought I would give it a try. It's pretty good over all, I don't have any emotional problems and it doesn't make me sick to my stomach. However, I've gained 17 pounds in 2 months! My boobs got a lot bigger as well. I went from 165 lbs at my wedding to 182 lbs. today May 9th, 2016! I feel so bloated and fat! I am in my late 40's. I was anorexic in my early 20's. This medicine makes me want to stop eating again! Other than the weight gain it's ok but I don't think I will stay on it. "

Graycen (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

"This is the worst pill I have ever taken, and I've been on several. I didn't connect the dots until I had been on this pill for almost 4 months. The only pro was that it lessened cramps. CONS: Spotting for an entire month when I first started. My acne flared up uncontrollably. My mood swings were insane and I thought I was depressed. I didn't realize that it was this awful pill doing this to my body. I wish I had never taken this pill."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

"I've been on Lutera for almost 4 years and it has been pretty good. I haven't noticed any terrible side effects except for when I take the first pill of a new pack - if I eat or drink anything within the first few hours of taking the pill I will feel nauseous. That's why I take it just before bed on Friday nights now. The first year or so I would also feel incredibly tired starting about an hour after taking the first pill of the pack, but that has since gone away. As for other side effects I can't really remember what my body would normally "do" without the pill."

saladfingers (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2016

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND. I've tried plenty of other pills in the past (Lessina, Norinyl, Syeda to name a few) and this is my least favorite. I stopped taking birth control for a couple of years but recently decided to get back on so my doctor prescribed me Lutera. Within weeks, it made me more irritable/sensitive (I would cry for no reason) and my sex drive became nonexistent. I had instances where I would be interested in having sex but couldn't enjoy it due to painful cramps. I also felt extremely nauseous, had horrible indigestion, my acne came back, & felt bloated the entire time I was on this pill. Aaand, I had breakthrough bleeding for 3 weeks straight. Thankful I was able to switch back to a generic of Yaz, it's quite an improvement."

smnavq April 24, 2016

"I've been using Lutera for a bout a month now and I hate it! My acne is so bad On this brand. Although it does protect against pregnancy which is good. I haven't gotten a period yet. Just a little bit of spotting. When I 1st started taking Lutera I got real bad body aches... And I feel very moody... Will be talking to my doctor about switching back to Aubra"

Tay1246 (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

"This birth control is TERRIBLE!!! It increased my mood swings, made me feel as if I was on my cycle for about a week and a half (which only lasts normally 5 days), decreased my sex drive, caused me to discharge a lot, and caused a drastic weight gain (at least 15lbs)...only gave it 2/10 because I didn't get pregnant..."

mariammg April 18, 2016

"One week. Still top notch shape. Luckily, my peripd ended a day earlier thsn my usual 5 day period. Of course all medicines require side effects.dont feel extra moody or anything. My only concern is dry eyes so far when wearing my contacts, which will hopefully will subside before next month where i will be taking my yoga teacher intensive training. Definitely dramatically proved to subside much of my hormonal imbalance symptoms. I am 4"11 and 100 lbs.. 28 years old. Healthy, active and finally seeing my acne under control in one week!"

SamanthaRose357 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

"This is a horrible birth control I've tried several and this is by far the worst I've been taking it for about 8 months have gained several pounds, have terrible mood swings, most days I feel sick and have lost a lot of my hair. I though most side effects would go away after a few month but that is not the case. Taking this pill is one of the worst things you can do to your body"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2016

"After giving birth to my third baby, my OBGYN put me on Lutera as a low dose contraceptive to balance out my hormones as well as be a back up method of birth control since my husband was due to have a vasectomy. Unfortunately after 5 months I had to switch, as I was getting minimum two periods a month, and during the worst month I was on Lutera, I bled 22 of 29 days. Finally I gave up and switched to another pill, clearly my body and my hormones didn't sync with Lutera."

momof3under3 March 19, 2016

"I have taken Lutera for about two years. I used to have awful period cramps, since I started this pill I haven't had any. I don't even remember what they feel like. Periods are super mild, I barley need anything. I never have acne. I have a breakout here and there, but that's life. My only complaint is that I gained weight. It makes me hungry constantly. I gained 10 lbs in two years. I could of kept off the weight if I watched what I ate and exercised more. Overall great pill. It's also very effective."

Ryzer (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2016

"I took this pill for a year and it worked really well although I sometimes missed 1-3 pills a month. The first half of the year didn't affect my mood that dramatically until later on. My boyfriend noticed that I was really irritated over little things and my depression almost made me hurt myself. I also realized that I felt very very angry at him for picking me up an hour late and I couldn't calm down. In my mind I knew it's okay and I wanted to forgive him, but the anger inside me didn't budge. It's a very effective pill but I have to change my dosage since it's putting me and my relationship in danger."

Roller coaster of emotions (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

"I've been on this birth control (still am) and I don't think it's doing good for my mental health. I've been taking it for 4-5 months and I don't feel the same. I used to be so happy and now I'm constantly crying and feeling down for no reason. Will be changing birth control because I feel like rubbish"

Girl from internet (16) (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2016

"I was taking Aviane before and transferred my prescription to a different pharmacy. There they gave me lutera since they did not have aviane... Worst experience of my life. Constant headaches and acne were the main symptoms right before my period. Extremely painful periods as well. If you are experiencing these symptoms while on lutera, I would highly recommend trying aviane. I do not have any headaches or acne and my periods are pain free."

ssalim786 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

"I've used about 3 different brands of birth control and this one is by far the worst. I DO NOT RECOMMEND. I took a break from pills for a couple months and when I started back up, I started using Lutera. I've been using it for 4-5 months and I feel horrible. I CAN say that It does a great job at protecting from birth and my periods haven't been a problem at all, but I feel horrible. I don't feel like myself at all. I feel disconnected/groggy almost all the time. My libido is completely gone now. Mood swings. I've been so unlike myself for the past few months so I've decided to stop taking them."

Allii February 17, 2016

"I've been on Lutera for almost a year now. I've been having birth control issues for about 2 years - first being on Mirena and having terrible cystic acne and depression, and then my doc recommended Lutera to add some hormones back into my system to help the acne. This is low dosage and although I've seen my cystic acne go away (besides some coming at the time of the month) I still break out daily. I wanted to try it for longer than a few months, and I have to say out of the entire year, about 2 months of it I had decent skin. I break out on my face, back and shoulders and I haven't had this bad of acne since high school. After high school, I was on Ortho trycyclen and the nuva ring. Both of those didn't make me break out at all. I'm 23, 145lb"

Gt3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2016

"I was on this pill for only a week and I broke out like crazy. Needless to say my face looks like a pizza. My school provided me with it so I went back to the clinic after I started getting horrifying rashes along my cheek and chin. They assured me it wasn't the birth control but put me on antibiotics and ask me to stay on the pill and come back for a follow up. I went back and it was worse I didn't just have the rashes anymore but also bad acne, the doctor told me she'd never seen such a bad reaction from lutera but all I've read is bad reviews about how it makes you break out. The only beneficial things about it is you can't get pregnant and your boobs do start to grow. I will not wait out to see if it gets worse before it gets better."

Meli1996 February 11, 2016

"I first started taking Lutera around the beginning of January. I noticed immediate mood swings within the first 2 weeks of taking it, I had a little trouble sleeping one night & literally started sobbing out of no where (mind you I'm not a very emotional person). It made me EXTREMELY depressed, & I only ever felt angry or sad, never happy, not to mention I felt very disconnected to my boyfriend who I am deeply in love with. I immediately got off of it during the third week. They say to stick it out the first 3 weeks at LEAST but I could not stay on it one more day. I immediately noticed the changes & I was back to my spunky positive self, thank god! ( :"

notpleased (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"I've been on Lutera 28 for a year now. I've noticed how if I'm late taking my pill each day, even by two hours, I'll spot or even start my period early. MAJOR mood swings and depression. Some days I think I'm loosing my mind. It's effective in preventing pregnancy, however I've completely LOST my libido. If you're considering taking this pill, I would look into other BC options besides this one."

lady-lava (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2016

"Before I was on Lutera- I was on Lo Loestin FE (which was awful!- I would bleed literally two weeks out of the month, had no sex drive and gained 10 lbs). After switching to Lutera, which I have been on for a month now, my mood swings have been consistent (even though I cried when a dog commercial came on), I have actually lost weight, there is no break through bleeding, and my sex drive is back to normal, AND this is covered a 100% by my insurance. Also, no bad side effects such as acne, stomach pain, or severe discomfort in any form. The only thing is my boobs swell up a little bit, but no complaints there. This is such a great pill! I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to start a new BC or wanting to switch."

Charity Larson January 23, 2016

"I've been taking lutera for a couple of years now. I recently stopped taking it this month (ran out of refills and need to see the doc again) and regret it to the fullest. I am going through really painful cramps at the moment, which I haven't had for years!!!!!! The only problem I have with this particular birth control pill is that you cannot smoke while taking it. This makes me wonder what exactly is in this one that separates from the other birth control pills that you can smoke with? Either way, because of the deadly combination of smoking and taking these pills, I've stopped smoking. I am 24 now, 5'1, 110 LBs"

JasperRILEY January 19, 2016

"This bc has almost negated my cramps during the placebo/period week, my skin seems clearer in general though when I do get a pimple it's harder to the touch, my breasts got a little fuller (no sensitivity), and I'm bloated/constipated during the 3 active pill weeks ALL THE TIME. I can't tell if I gained weight or not because of this but if I did, it's less than 5lbs. That's the only reason I rated this 8/10, that and I'm not sure but I'd say be aware that it may exaggerate bad moods. No babies so far either! Again just watch how you're eating and your mood. Maybe take B12 if it helps. I'm 5'2, 135lbs, and fit if that helps as well."

Space Casey (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

"I started this medication two months ago and I start my third pack tomorrow. This is the first hormonal birth control method I have used and I am very satisfied. Before I started it, I had terrible PMS. I was ready to go on antidepressants if birth control did not help; I felt that bad. As soon as the second half of my cycle began, (for me, around day 16) I was very depressed until my period, to the point of missing work, not showering, not even getting out of bed. Also had outbursts of anger, extreme fatigue, skin got oilier, and had headaches throughout the month. All that went away when I started this pill. My breasts feel sore and got bigger, but all other minor side effects went away after the first two weeks."

EC221 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2016

"I have been on lutera for about a month now. I like it. No weight gain, no severe acne, since I usually have a couple of pimples on my face no changes. Loss of appetite. I, myself am 5'1 and weight about 145 no sudden weight gain. Although, my breast do get tender from time to time being a 38 DD it gets kind of annoying. Regardless, I recommend the pill"

Anonymous January 2, 2016

"I just want to review this birth control because I know people are more likely to hop on the interweb to write negative reviews rather than positive ones. I had the Mirena for almost five years and all the sudden CRAZY ACNE started. I wanted a BC pill to help with it, and I was given Lutera. PROS: After the first few weeks, I didn't break out nearly as bad as I was before taking it. Regulated period after the second month. My boobs! They're bigger! CONS: Acne was worse the first couple of weeks. First period was gross. Brown, and it came before the off week. Give it a chance, I'm on my tenth week. You need to give it a few months before deciding you hate it!! It takes a while to regulate everything."

BrookeBeverly January 2, 2016