User Reviews for Lutera

Learn more about Lutera.

Lutera review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

Review by Tyquisha (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I love it. My first 2-3 months were pretty terrible and I felt pretty sick, but I haven't had any problems since. My periods are always same day and same time as well. My face is pretty clear of acne and my breasts are definitely bigger, which is good (!) but it also keeps babies away, so it's a pro!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 10:35 AM

Review by ClaraJuliet:

Lutera helped regulate my irregular periods. I've had absolutely NO side effects since starting it 8 months ago. Breasts are slightly more plump without any discomfort, score! I've previously taken other forms of BC which I had experienced crazy mood swings. Lutera is definitely a winner for me!

November 2, 2014 9:32 PM

Review by Kandee W:

This is the only birth control that has ever gotten my cycle regulated for a long period of time. Usually I will switch medicines only to have it regulated for 3-4 months, then everything to go haywire again. With Lutera, I have no breakthrough bleeding or spotting, no headaches or body aches, and no weight gain. I love this birth control. Before I was on this, I was very anemic from an abnormal period (bleeding 2-3 weeks out of the month), but now I don't even have to take my iron supplement. Also, I am not pregnant, so it works there, too, which is good.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by Chjgfhlgdv:

I've been on it for 7 months now and it has been a good experience. At first I was scared to take it due to the possible side effects, and weight gain! Only the first month I experienced mild headaches and morning sickness but I think it was my body adjusting to it. No weight gain at all which makes it great, my periods are regular always on time, and cramps got better. The only thing I noticed that I get emotional the first week of starting a new package, but it helps having a very comprehensive boyfriend other than that the pill is great! I enjoy my sex better, without stressing of getting pregnant! I'll soon be getting my 8th and 9th package.

October 7, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by FL2835 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started Lutera about a month ago. I was on the Nuvaring before that. I switched to Lutera because being as active as I am, the Nuvaring somehow found it's way out. Lutera is the first birth control pill that I have taken, and my experience has been great so far. The pills are small and easy to swallow which was a huge plus! I did not have breakthrough bleeding on the pill like I did with the Nuvaring {I skip my periods purposely by starting a new pack instead of the inactive week pill/Nuvaring} so that was fantastic as well. No pregnancies here, so it's been very effective for that! I never had any nausea with the pill, but I did have some weight gain {about 6 pounds, which did not make me happy!}.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by klh028:

This is the first birth control pill I've been on and I started taking it the same time as Lexapro (anti-anxiety). I conquered all of my anxiety problems and stopped taking it, however I have gained 10 lbs since April and my acne has been horrible. I've read a lot of reviews about Lutera and have noticed the same things. I dont have cramps or bleed near as bad, however the day before I start my period and the day after the last sugar pill I'm an absolute nightmare. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm looking for a different pill. I'm asking my doctor about it as soon as I get home.

July 16, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been taking Lutera since Aug 2012 and everything is good. I did gain a couple extra pounds (which I shed off pretty quick due to having a fast metabolism) but that beats being pregnant when you are not ready. Also my breasts are HUGE and I am LOVING it! I have been taking this because of my irregular periods. I did have slight bleeding a few months ago for about 2-3 days but after reading the pamphlet, that was listed as a side effect. I have noticed that I am a bit more moody but all in all it works great for me. Everybody is different so if it works for you, great. If not there are dozens of other pills/methods.

July 14, 2014 4:30 AM

Review by EllaBella9859:

I started Lutera in January. I felt very nauseous almost all the time in the first month. My breasts grew significantly. My acne has cleared up. I did notice that I am very emotional and moody ever since I started Lutera especially the day before my period. I'm pretty consistent with when I take the pill. I usually take it around 10-11am but for the days I almost forget and take it at night, I feel really sick the next day.

June 29, 2014 3:54 AM

Review by Cute face (taken for less than 1 month):

I was quiet nervous about talking this pill, because I have had such bad experience with the shot. I'm on my 11 day of taking Lutera. I started on them the first day I received my period....and I've been bleeding ever since...very heavy at that, not a very happy camper. I have never bled this long.

June 24, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by ash..:

Started it two months ago and the only problem i have had with it is the fact that I am off my period for a few days and I start back up on it for a week and again the next week, been this way since I started. I have had regular periods with other birth controls and I was regular when I wasn't on the pill. I personally don't like having a period every other week and I take the pill everyday at 9am.

June 14, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by Samansa (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on Lutera for about 4 years now and its been pretty good! No huge complaints at all here! My breasts definitely got bigger but besides that not much weight gain as others have mentioned. I do have mood swings ever since I started Lutera but I mostly just cry easier when I'm PMSing and that's it. As for effectiveness it works great and I pretty much have my period down to the hour at which I know it will start. If you take the pill as instructed, it works great!

June 5, 2014 1:54 AM

Review by Scared to take BC (taken for less than 1 month):

I was scared to take birth control pills because I recently had a tough fight with depression, and I didn't want to go through mood swings during the adjustment period for these pills. However, also noticed that when I was depressed, I was at my worst the days before my period. I've been taking these for two weeks, and I've noticed NO SIDE EFFECTS at all. I actually have been feeling better than ever! Of course, this is my body and everyone else's can react differently. YOU DON"T KNOW HOW YOU'LL REACT TILL YOU TRY IT.

May 28, 2014 10:32 PM

Review by Snikki:

I've been on this pill for about 3 months. In this time, I've gained some weight. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week and am a pretty health conscious person so there is no reason for this to happen. I've never had a problem with my skin but over the last 3 months I haven't gone a day without a pimple on my face, and my back and chest are not okay. I feel so gross. I do so much to take care of myself and after looking at my daily life, the only thing I can attribute these things to is my pill. It is also the only medication I take.

May 20, 2014 1:57 AM

Review by Gehduiiebd:

I've been taking lutera for about five months now. I've noticed that my mood swings have gotten terrible. I am prone to headaches, and I've gained quite a bit of weight that is nearly impossible to lose.

May 11, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by Alybabe:

I have only been on it for little over a month. It's the first birth control I've been on so I was new to side effects. I finally realized my mood swings are huge. I find myself very emotional and depressed and minutes later I'm beyond happy. I do get headaches quite a bit but it can be from something totally different. I feel like I've gained a little bit of weight but I can't blame anything but myself. I don't think it's a horrible pill just affects me badly.

May 9, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by Sara37743:

I've been on Lutera for close to two years. I have a very active sex life and it's always done it's job and worked. But the last few months I've been spotting the week before my period. Also I've been having insane mood swings. I get upset over everything. I went to my doctor and switched birth controls.

April 27, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by DaniJoe (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been taking this pill for 5 months and I have noticed HUGE mood swings, feel depressed but I have lost weight. I have just started unprotected sex and it scares me, but my doctor told me it is what birth control is for so you are fine! I feel nauseous constantly though. I just got put on a higher dose as well but other than that I like this birth control!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 9:44 AM

Review by Meep123r8r555555:

I've been taking birth control for about a year now and my doctor just switched me on to Lutera from Aviane. I've been on it for 2 months now and though it's effective, I have to say it makes me a little nauseous at the start of a new pack and I've gained like 10 lbs. Acne is a teeny bit worse but I'm also using a new soap so that may or may not be it. My breasts have gotten fuller but when I PMS they HURT. I guess these are normal for a birth control in general though.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2014 10:11 PM

Review by PearlyMay:

I'm about 3 pills away from finishing my first pack...My experience is ok so far.. I say ok because I started the pack 3 days before my period ..worst mistake ever.. my period was super heavy for 4 days and had really bad cramping ..My advice for first timers is wait until you end your period and start taking the pill right after. Because I didn't wait now I have my period again (this time it's really light.. still cramping) hopefully by this next pack my period is on track. On a good note my skin is clear from acne and I went up a cup size. Breasts are still tender but I'm hoping that goes away. I have gained some weight but I'm working on losing it. Some PMS, Nothing crazy. I can say I'm pleased with Lutera so far.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2014 2:11 AM

Review by litho:

My daughter took Lutera for two years. It took two months but it definitely helped with her acne. She was very happy. Fast forward two years later and now we are not sure what is going on but the old acne is coming back. Time to find a new birth control.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2014 11:17 PM

Review by jas20:

This is the first type of birth control that I have been on and it has worked out great. I have been on Lutera for 9 months now and will be going back have my doctor refill the prescription. The first month I experienced some mild headaches and irregular bleeding, nothing serious. My breasts have gotten a little larger, my period shorter and lighter. All is good so far!

March 21, 2014 10:02 PM

Review by laura7231994:

I was on Lutera for 9 months. It was great. The only side effects i experienced were my acne clearing up and my breasts increasing a cup size. I am extremely active in my sex life and I didn't get pregnant; I trust this pill a lot. But for my last two periods I started spotting for the whole third week of pills and then having a very heavy period, so my doctor is putting me on a higher dose of a similar medicine, I'm just hoping it is exactly the same but with a normal period. Other than that I would highly recommend this birth control.

March 17, 2014 1:16 PM

I am on my last week on my second pack. I only have one of the pink pills left. I had my period a week early last month. And this month I haven't started at all. I'm really worried. I'm waiting it out. Other than this I have had no problem.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2014 10:24 PM

Been on it for three weeks. I'm loving it. It makes me drowsy, my appetite has changes a bit and I was a little moody but its great. I have even lost weight. My sex drive is way higher than it was before taking this pill.

March 12, 2014 11:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

At first I hated this pill but had a 3 month supply. In the first 2 months I had spotting all the time, crazy mood swings, intense cravings and cramps around PMS time and was loosing a dramatic amount of hair. On the bright side my acne was non existent and I noticed weight loss. By the 3rd month I feel most symptoms cleared.

March 6, 2014 8:21 PM