User Reviews for Lutera

Learn more about Lutera.

Lutera Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Lutera to treat Birth Control

"To me has been working for around 7 years I love it. Although I have been a constant birth control user for over 10 years never have kids or been pregnant so I'm 30 now I have stopped taking it to avoid any future complications due to general birth control issues.before I started taking it. I tried many and Luthera is been the best working on me. I highly recommend it"

Didilulu (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 17, 2015

"This was the first pill I've ever taken. I had depression before starting and was scared to take a homornal birth control but I have to say it actually made my depression a lot better. But of course I'm not a doctor that's just what happened with me. I had 6-7 day periods with bad cramps before & they became 3 day periods with absolutely no cramps. I did experience some breast tenderness my first week which wasn't too bad. Cons: I would wake up starving every morning. I also started to get crazy mood swings and would snap at everything/everyone. I took Lutera for 3 & a half months & I've stopped because of the mood swings. But other than that I'd say it was a really good pill."

mc25726 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

"I started this pill about a little over a year ago. This pill has done what I needed it to do: reduced my pain and regulated my period. I cannot say this pill is for everyone, we all have different compositions, but I will say it worked for me and share the experiences I had with this medication. Note: this is an ideal pill if you cannot do too high dosage or too low of a dosage for your birth control I did not lose any of my libido within the period of transition from my previous pill, and on, and I did not gain any noticeable weight on this medication. I will say that I had a couple painful periods after finally having sex, but I think that was more due to my body adjusting than anything else. I did get some acne, but it was mild."

nekositting July 6, 2015

"Great BC. Initially I gained about 5 pounds but that's probably the case with every BC and you can work to keep it off. Didn't change my mood or my sex drive, and periods have been much more bearable. Only thing is--if you mess up the pack (i.e., miss a pill, etc.) your period can last start early and last very long. Try to keep a consistent schedule with this pill. Oh, and I've never been pregnant either."

Tm24234 July 1, 2015

"I have been using lutera for 5 months now and it's horrible, it's the first time a birth control affects me like that. I totally lost my libido, like i'd rather watch the rain fall than have sex, I am the crankiest thing and I'm 1000 x more sensitive than i used to be. And I feel depressed about half the time, and I always was a happy person, I am going to my doctor today and there's no way I stay on that pill. I'd rather go back to using condoms even if i'm not a fan.. oh and my breasts hurt like they're gonna explode at any moment. Just the feeling of my bra touching them hurts. Don't take it. "

gabw June 18, 2015

"This birth control was not that good. It made me get severe migraines and the periods were too light. Cramps were horrible."

Brittdoll2767 June 13, 2015

"Well....50 pounds gained later I'm not very happy with this pill. I've talked to my doctor numerous times about this side effect and she says you will feel hungry all the time but you just need to tell yourself not to eat. The weight gain has made me depressed and self conscious, beginning to think this pill is not worth taking. Other than that, it has helped my periods and I haven't gotten pregnant so that's a plus."

Anonymous2220000 June 9, 2015

"I have been on Lutera for almost exactly two years now, and it has been great. I wasn't getting my periods very often before, and Lutera has regulated them and also shortened the number of days from 5-7 down to 3-4. My first period after starting it was terrible because I had a huge glob of blood come out in one chunk. However, after that one period everything else has been much more predictable and normal. It does not seem to have made my sex drive low at all, but that could be something to do with my age."

21yrold (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2015

"My first time ever trying birth control. I accidentally started it when I was spotting and and week later my period came. Now I'm on my 18th day and I've never been on my period this long before. I have in the past but only because I've had a stressful month. I'm shedding a lot more and have cramps and back ache from time to time. I'm thinking of staying it on it for one more month since maybe my body is getting used to it so we'll see. I'm going to let my doctor know and keep her updated"

Jme2269 May 24, 2015

"This was the first hormonal birth control method I tried. I was nervous as I had read about all the horrible side effects of birth control pills. Well, I did experience some of them on this pill (mostly mood swings, nausea) but only for a few days. After that, it was a nearly perfect experience. The biggest benefit was that it regulated my period and made my cramps go away!! Amazing. Unfortunately I've started to get migraines with aura and therefore had to come off Lutera. Now I'm on the mini-pill and considering the implant. Ugh."

Tanzypants (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2015

"I'm 27 yrs old, 5'6", & 125lbs. I'm a mother of a 5yr old & a 3yr old. My first time on any kind of birth control was after the birth of my 3yr old & was the implant Implanon. I had a horrible experience overall with the side effects, (extremely hormonal, excessive bleeding, horrible removal, & much more). After lots of research to avoid another disaster experience, I chose Lutera. Within a week & little by little, I started noticing a difference in everything. Pros: For the first time since I was a teenager, my periods were on time & even better, only lasted 3-4 days. My skin is clearer, my breasts are fuller, & no more mood swings. I feel like a normal woman. Cons: My breasts are a little sore, possibly bc I'm a DD with now fuller breasts"

JayKayMommy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 17, 2015

"Had two periods a month. Now I'm on my 4th packet and have had moderate bleeding for about 16days. The past two weeks I have broken out in small hard red pimples all over my cheeks and forehead and they have now spread to my neck. I am stopping them and hoping the bleeding stops. My Doc keeps telling me it should settle down soon so I may need a new Doc as well. "

Mistification (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

"I have been on lutera for 8 months now and so far my experience has been great! My obgyn switched me from safyral to this because it was over $100 a month. But my periods are only 5 days long with a medium to light flow. I bled extremely heavy before ever on the pill. I have had no weight gain, actually lost 2 pants sizes, no unusual mood swings, breasts went down a cup size but seem perkier, and no babies. The only thing I have noticed is a little bit of breast tenderness before my period and I only get slightly moody at PMS time. It has been a good pill for me so far. Every woman is different, but I highly recommend this pill."

Linzee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2015

"I was on Lutera from October 2011 - October 2013 and it was amazing. My periods were on time every month, I had no severe cramping, my mood swings died down a lot and it protected me. In the 2 years I took Lutera every day and it was the best birth control I ever took. No weight gain, no acne, it was perfect. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking it as I didn't have enough money to afford another years worth of birth control. And 3 months later I found out I was pregnant with my son who is now 5 months old! My OBGYN prescribed me Microgestion Fe 1.5/20 BC and I'm trying to switch back to it and Lutera is the birth control I know that worked for me"

CharHolly April 27, 2015

"I've been on Lutera non-stop for about 5 years. Pros: Never had any noticeable weight gains, acne, mood swings, cramping, or any other side effects that would be linked to the pills. Also no pregnancies, which is kind of the whole point! Cons: Within the past year or two, I've noticed a big decrease in sex drive. Also stopped taking it for a week or two recently (was on antibiotics) and my next period was medium flow for almost two weeks. Noticed my PMS kicked in big time when I took that time off."

SirenMaya (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2015

"I am 27, small-frame body constitution: 5ft 4'' tall, norm weight 113, married. Previously, I have been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for about 2.5 years and I have gained 12 extra pounds to my normal weight. As I said, with OTC Lo I have experienced all kinds of side effects from weight gain and face swelling (fluid retention) to hair loss, 9-day periods and mood swings. I didn't feel/ behave feminine at all. Having switched to Lutera, I noticed the difference - it took about 4 days for these extraz around my waist area to disappear, I gained half-cup size, I feel very lady-like compared to the OTC Lo (don't laugh but this is how the previous pill affected me), my periods are down to 5 days and are relatively painless.It agrees with my body."

Girl87! (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

"This is my first time being on ANY birth control ever..I have no nausea or any sickness.. slight headache the first couple of days taking it.. I think my mood is changing only because I am tired of spotting every day! It's annoying, my doctor said that it is normal and to give it at least two months to regulate. I hope she's right..."

KeilaK March 4, 2015

"I am 19 years old & I have been taking Lutera for about seven months now. I have had hormonal problems and have noticed that this is a great solution. The pills are small and easy to take along with my other medications. The first two months of taking it I felt pretty nauseous & my breasts were a little tender. I started having sex about five months ago & I was very nervous at first about getting pregnant, however after being on this contraception, I am confident that this is a genuinely effective pill to take. I strongly recommend!!"

Jennifer Z. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2015

"I'm 19 and I started taking Lutera 4 months ago. It's been working pretty well for me, but I had a horrible period, mood swings and nausea in the first month I took it. After that, my periods were light and the only side effect that stuck around was some breast tenderness and mild cramping on the first day of my period. Also, it caused my breasts to grow larger, even though I weigh the same as when I started it. It's a great birth control pill once you get past the first few weeks."

J. Jones (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2015

"I really liked this birth control and wanted to continue using it, but after 3 months, it started causing big zits on my chin around the time of my period so I stopped. Other than that, no other bad side effects that I noticed."

k-s-hh129 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2014

"I love this birth control! I've been using Lutera for a month now. First time ever being on anything and at first I was very nauseous the first week taking it. I believe that was just my body getting used to it. I did spot after receiving my period. I've lost a total of 6 pounds in the first month and my breast have gotten slightly plumper. Haven't experienced any mood swings. I guess everything works differently for everyone."

Morgan94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2014

"I love it. My first 2-3 months were pretty terrible and I felt pretty sick, but I haven't had any problems since. My periods are always same day and same time as well. My face is pretty clear of acne and my breasts are definitely bigger, which is good (!) but it also keeps babies away, so it's a pro!"

Tyquisha (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 16, 2014

"I have been on Lutera for a few years now. I could not be happier with the results! I noticed after the first few packs my period was diminishing. After about 4 months I had no period at all: no spotting, no bleeding, no pms, no cramps, no mood swings. I took several pregnancy tests over the next few months because I was scared that I didn't get a period. But I was never pregnant! So after all this time I'm still having no period and no PMS symptoms. I have to explain everytime I go to the doctor why I can't put an answer on the question " when was the last date of your menstrual cycle?" "

Liz Adkins December 12, 2014

"With Lutera I had a good experience. I had light but regular periods. My only complaint was I got horrible headaches right before my period and during my period. My cramps were tolerable if at all. I did not notice any weight gain and my moods were pretty regular. I only switched to something different because the headaches were too much and I got a new doctor and she said that there were too much hormones in this and lowered my dose of estrogen with a different birth control."

kna (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2014

"Lutera helped regulate my irregular periods. I've had absolutely NO side effects since starting it 8 months ago. Breasts are slightly more plump without any discomfort, score! I've previously taken other forms of BC which I had experienced crazy mood swings. Lutera is definitely a winner for me!"

ClaraJuliet November 2, 2014