User Reviews for Alesse

Learn more about Alesse.

Alesse Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Alesse to treat Birth Control

"I was taken off of Yaz and put onto this because it was causing me migraines with aura. I have been on it for a couple years now I'd say. I never really noticed it until my boyfriend mentioned to me how I never am "in the mood" anymore. We used to have a very steady sex life together and now maybe 1 time a month. I went to the doctor a while ago and she ran blood tests on me and they came back that my iron is severely low. I've never had that before until I started taking this pill. I also seem to get angry very and upset easily. I'm not saying that's the pills fault but I was never like that before I started taking it. I started getting regular headaches again, so my Doctor switched me to a different brand that I have yet to try."

Anonononononononon February 3, 2016

"First time using alesse been gaining weight like crazy my mood swings are all over the place my period been starting a week early so now my period lasts about 2 weeks. This pill is definitely not for me"

lisa January 31, 2016

"I have been on Aleese for 8 years. This birth control is great for preventing pregnancy and regulating my menstrual cycle. It also helped my menstrual cycle be lighter. Unfortunately, this birth control does lower your sex drive. I went off it and my sex drive came back full force and plan to go off it permanently."

Katie82 January 30, 2016

"Alesse has been working really well for me. In the last month I've gained 3 lbs in what I believe to be water weight, as I feel quite bloated. Either way I can easily work 3 lbs off. I have been a bit nauseous on it as I take Alesse in the morning, but nothing unmanageable. I haven't had any spotting. I've had a bit of breast tenderness, but nothing that bothers me. I have been a bit tired, so I just have a little extra coffee in the morning. Overall I've had a good experience so far with Alesse."

Amy Zd January 28, 2016

"I'm on day 9 on Alesse so far, not very far into it yet but so far I really like Alesse. I was so badly traumatized from my first birth control experience as a teen it scared me to go on birth control again. Yasmin was really bad for depression and weight gain I didn't like it. Now I am married with children and wanted to try something else again, Alesse is low dose so I figured maybe it might be different this time , it's way better! My mental health is extremely important, I feel a little tired on this pill but only minor, I will update again to see how it continues, so far so great."

Jen.xo (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

"I spent almost 2 years on alesse 28. My first couple months were okay. I experienced severe nausea and gained 10 pounds but lost them shortly after. I took Alesse routinely at 10 pm. My first month on it I woke up with sweats, seeing "stars" and started vomiting. I assumed it was a bug until it happened the following week again. My doctor told me to give it 3 months so I did. This continued about once every 1-2 months at the same time during the night. I began living with gravol in my back pocket until I had enough. I came off alesse and have not had any midnight "episodes" and feel so much better. It was effective in preventing pregnancy although I always use backup methods anyways. My periods were short and light & minor cramps"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 24, 2015

"I've been on Alesse for 2 months and my experience with it has been absolutely horrible. Cramps everyday, breakthrough bleeding, acne, sore breasts, frequent urination, back pain, nausea, bloating, anxiety and depression. Probably the worst birth control someone could possibly go on!!"

Bdog15 December 17, 2015

"Awesome"

Aly1235422 November 23, 2015

"No side effects for me but everyone is different so everybody's experience will be different and not only depending on your weight or height! Try it for at least six months and if it's not for you just switch!!"

Sarah0057 November 10, 2015

"I just got the birth control today, I haven't tried it yet because my biggest fear is gaining weight and having very bad mood swings! Would these side effects stop it I came off the pill after they occurred? ( I'm 16 years old )"

amandazzzzzz (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2015

"So, recently I got switched off from aviane which was the best birth control ever! Because, I moved out of province they didn't carry aviane so they put me on alesse. I'm going on 21 years old, I'm 5'3, and I've never passed 115 pounds using aviane. Using alesse I have gained almost 10 pounds the last few months of use! This birth control has worsen my acne, caused me severe head aches, worsen my abdominal pain thru out and off my period, heavy bloating, worsen my constipation, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and rather 5 days my periods are 7-9. I'm glad this birth control suits most of you ladies on here, for myself it has been the worst! Obviously not for every woman, defiantly not for me! Looking to switch ASAP!"

Gingahhhh123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

"Wait three to six months before jumping to conclusions about this pill. I highly recommend taking it. It cleared up my skin like crazy!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

"Background: 18 year old, 5"4, 115 pounds and works out regularly. Overall I think it is good. I've always had clear skin so acne wasn't a problem at all. PROS: super light periods that only last about 5 days (sometimes so light I can't even put a tampon in), no weight gain, no acne, no pregnancies lol. CONS: discharge (fair-quite significant amount), back aches and sometimes I get moderate-severe headaches. Overall I would recommend this form of BC. One thing I did notice: I don't get my period until 4 days after I finish the birth control packs, is that normal? Considering some people get it at the same time every month and/or the day after they finish the pills."

zestyitalian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2015

"Remember, hormone drugs do vary per person. A little about me so you can judge how relevant my review is: 20, 5'6", 120lbs, never had regular periods before (2.5 weeks apart, other times 6 months apart), history of horrible acne, needed to take accutane for a year. Was on another birth control before with accutane (Marvelon or something like that) which caused major mood issues including diagnosed depression. Pros: periods like clockwork, slightly bigger breasts, no pregnancy scares "Med" Effects: cramping (not terrible) on day 20 of cycle, slightly moodier week before period Cons: slight vaginal dryness, periods are starting on day 14 of packs consistently (3/3 packs in a row) so maybe I'm just lucky I'm not pregnant"

CarnivorousJellybean June 26, 2015

"I've been using Alesse for about 2 years now. It was the first BC pill that I was prescribed. I was hesitant to use hormonal contraceptives because of mood swings and spotting. However with Alesse, I experienced neither of those side effects. I can't say it made my skin any clearer. I don't have severe acne but it didn't clear up my pimples. One side effect I did experience was weight gain. I am normally about 105 pounds but on the pill I gain about 3-4 pounds. I just feel very bloated. However, when I stop the pill temporarily ( the week of my period) I go back to my regular weight. I realized I could manage this by just watching what I eat and I exercise a bit more. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with Alesse!"

VPgirl123 June 4, 2015

"I have been on this pill for almost 4 months now. The first month I had breakthrough bleeding, no other side effects other than that. The third and 4th month was when the side effects all hit me at once; bloating, weight gain, slight headaches and uncomfortable cramps. My period has gotten a lot lighter but I am thinking of switching if these side effects still occur."

Xcvby (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2015

"I started the birth control last summer in August and stopped it this April. For the first 6 months of taking the pill I had no problems at all, I felt normal except I did get acne which went away after about 1-3 months. It shortened my period to about 4-5 days instead of my normal week long and a half periods. But after 6 months of taking the pill I would sometimes get my period early by about 8 days and then the next month it would be back to normal. Also I would get bad cramps and back aches which appeared after 6 months. This was bothersome to me, especially after the pill working great for about 6 months. The early periods, cramps, and backaches were doable but i decided to switch off it to loestrin 1.5/30."

Anonnnnnnn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2015

"I started using the generic brand which the pharmacy gave me and had really bad side effects, such as feeling depressed, listless, crying all the time which I never do, then my doctor recommended I use the name brand Alesse. I've been on it a month with no side effects at all. I feel great. I had no cramping and a lighter period. I feel happy and myself again. I've tried a lot of other brands all with some side effects. For me this is a great birth control."

Ammj224 April 19, 2015

"Within a week, I got 3 cystic pimples !"

Anonymous1281 April 11, 2015

"This has been my first form of birth control and so far so good! I researched reviews on this one which freaked me out. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. I haven't had any nausea, headaches or mood changes. I have been on it for about 2 weeks so things could change but I like it a lot so far. Also, the type of hormones in this pill do provide the lowest chance of more serious side effects like blood clots. This was something that was nice to know since I was so worried about those chances (even though I had no reason to be). Everyone is different but just give it a chance! It's not as bad as you think it might be and if it is, you can always change pills! Hope this helps those who are worried about starting BC :)"

Ivy1256 March 31, 2015

"I used alesse for a few months and had a lot of trouble with it. I was extremely moody, depressed and felt like a completely different person. Even my mother noticed a huge change. I was crying all the time and overwhelmed. When I told my doctor he took me off alesse and started me on Tri-Cyclen Lo. I noticed a change immediately and I am still using Tri-Cyclen. It's easy to blame mood swings and being upset on other parts of your life, but for me it was ongoing and I knew it wasnt normal for me. Glad I got off of it when I did!"

JenG324 March 27, 2015

"This has worked amazingly for my hormonal acne (cystic acne on the sides of my chin). Ive been taking it for about a year now and I get the odd zit here and again but for the most part its cleared up. Most effective treatment I have ever used for acne. I dont bother taking the sugar pills or skip a week, I just go right to the next pack as recommended by my doctor."

Jessdes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2015

"I have been on Alesse for almost 11 months. My first time using birth control. For the first 6 months I was fairly happy with it and did not experience any side effects that I noticed at the time. Now I am considering going off the pill because for the last few months I have had a very low sex drive and gained 30 pounds since starting Alesse. My job has been very stressful and I have stopped working out regularly so those things are a part of it, but I think going off the pill would be beneficial for me and could help with losing the weight."

Elle00 March 22, 2015

"I have been on Alesse for 6 years now and I have never had any issues. No cramping, no acne, no weight gain. I highly recommend this birth control. 24 yr old"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 4, 2015

"I was put on Alesse 28, it's the first birth control I've been on and my overall experience has been good. When I first went on it I could barely keep my hands of my boyfriend but I blame it mostly on having a slight hormone imbalance. I also experienced an increase in breast size but I was told that it was a possible side effect. Then I missed a pill and even though I followed procedure it triggered my period. Then after that I kept spotting and was getting really frustrated. It would stop for a couple days then start up again for a couple days, then it magically stopped and I didn't have any problems after that. I found out later that you can have spotting within the first three months. Other then that I have less acne and lighter periods."

Sovia (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2014