User Reviews for Alesse

Learn more about Alesse.

Alesse review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Alesse to treat Birth Control

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I started on Alesse when I was 15 and it was the first birth control pill I had ever used. The first night I got awful headaches, and they carried on for the rest of the week. After that, I became very moody and just about anything could make me cry. Honestly that was the worst part, I've never been more moody and sad in my life. After about four months I began getting two periods a month, and I finally got fed up and switched pills.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2014 11:53 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Up until this past fall, I hadn't experienced any negative side effects while taking the pill. Then I started having anxiety attacks, feeling depressed about everything, rapid weight gain (25lbs in 2 months despite living at the gym), extreme irritability, heavy bleeding (3-4 super tampons every 2 hours) halfway through a pack, intense cramping, new and powerful migraines, and horrible skin. I've been off of it for 2 months now and I feel worlds better. I still have bad skin, and although my anxiety is manageable it's still there, but at least I can get out of bed, and the headaches have slackened. I'm looking at other options now because abstinence is difficult.

February 18, 2014 3:15 PM
Review by Cici115: User Rating:

I've been taking Alesse for 6 years. It's the only birth control I have ever used. And I love it. I've never had problems with it before. My periods are predictable, very light and regular. I don't experience mood swings, or any major cramping on the pill either. It controlled my acne as well. I would suggest Alesse to every girl.

February 1, 2014 2:22 PM
Review by Anonymous124562: User Rating:

Started taking this birth control at 16 and have taken it for a year now. The first three months were horrible, I had mood swings where I would start crying randomly, most of the time because I would take it at 7 pm and around 9 pm would begin feeling sharp cramps in my stomach that were unbearable, it was so hard to continue taking them at work knowing I would be in pain from them. However after three months I stopped having pain. Before the pill I had terrible cramps on my period but since Alesse my cramps are much milder. My mood swings have calmed down and I am not affected at all! A good thing to keep in mind is Alesse is a mild birth control (less hormones than others) so you can still take other medications. I love it, good choice!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 7, 2014 12:34 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Alesse 21 for three years. When I started taking it I realized I snapped way easier then usual. But my period is now super predictable and much more mild. I went off it briefly and lost about ten pounds and had a ton more energy, so I believe it causes me to be a little lazy. Even with that I find it fairly reliable.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 1, 2013 6:40 PM
Review by OzmaJin: User Rating:

My favorite birth control by far! I have had no side effects other than a minimized monthly period. I've tried other birth controls, included Ortho tri-cyclen low, Desogen, and Microgestin Fe, and Alesse has worked the best for me.

November 13, 2013 12:06 PM
Review by JoyBar (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

My doctor switched me from YAZ to Alesse to help with the weight gain that YAZ gave me (20 pounds in 1 year) and I hate this birth control. From the first month of using it I was an angry beast, it was way to much. Second month I noticed that I lost a little bit of the weight but I noticed I would start crying for no reason often and become depressed. My doctor told me to stick it out for 3 months. Third month I am still an angry beast as well as extremely irritable for extended period's of time. Mind you that YAZ also caused some of these symptoms as well but on Alesse it was tripled.

November 12, 2013 3:02 PM
Review by Freyers: User Rating:

Alesse 21 is the first birth control pill I've ever tried, so this might make the review a little biased, but I'm still going to share my experience and hope it helps other women out there. So during the first month it was kind of tough, especially since it was the first kind of birth control pill I've ever taken. I did not feel good emotionally. I had a quick-snap temper and it was taking a toll on my daily interactions (this was about two weeks into first taking it) but now, it honestly doesn't affect me as much anymore. I never experienced any bad breakouts of acne, though I still have my occasional mood swing. In terms of period taking the pill definitely regulated my period and made it so much lighter than before.

October 10, 2013 8:34 PM
Review by Mademmtl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I used to take Diane 35 from age 20-25 and my new doctor in a new city convinced me to start taking Alesse recently. I've been taking it for two months now and I have experienced spotting basically every single day since I started, sometimes light spotting, sometimes heavy, and it only stopped for one or two days. I can't find anyone else who has had this same experience so far - might have to change to a different pill. I'm hesitant to do that though because one very good side effect from Alesse has been a reduction in appetite for me! I haven't had aching breasts or acne yet. My moods also have seemed pretty fine. I just want to stop spotting every day.

September 29, 2013 1:36 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I'm 18 years old, I started taking the pill about a month ago. At first, due to the sudden change of hormones, I had a horrible breakout of acne on my face, and I was very emotional and bitter at first. But my first period since being on it was much shorter than my usual periods. Normally my periods last a full week, but this one only lasted about 3-4 days or so. So right away my period got lighter with tolerable and few cramps, as opposed to my normal constant excruciatingly painful cramps that would sentence me to a day or two on the couch with a hot water bottle and some Aleve. My face has cleared since and my emotions are back to normal. I definitely recommend this pill!

August 12, 2013 9:48 PM
Review by Erin R: User Rating:

My Doctor prescribed Alesse for me after convincing me to get off of Diane 35, as it had a much lower hormone dose. Almost immediately I began suffering from abdominal cramps, spotting unpredictably, and increased acne on my back, shoulders and jawline. I expected much of this from reading about coming off of Diane and my Dr assured me it would only last a few months. It's been nearly a year later and although the spotting and cramping has subsided, the acne is still there (I can't even wear a top without a hood, let alone a tank top or bathing suit!) and I'm displaying huge lack of interest in life. I have some good days, but spend a lot of time feeling unmotivated, tired, uninterested, etc. I want my life back.

August 10, 2013 5:01 PM
Review by julia122222: User Rating:

I'm 20 years old and have been taking Alesse for 2 years now. It has done wonders for my period, no cramps or bloating, period is so much lighter and manageable. I haven't had any acne problems or weight gain. My moods have been affected but I believe its only around the time I get my period. As for the tenderness of breasts, I only feel it if something accidentally hits them, other than that the pain isn't noticeable or disturbing. Another plus is the pill is extremely small and easy to swallow, I hate taking pills. I definitely recommend this pill.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 9, 2013 12:11 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I was 22 when I was taking the pill and was on it for 3 months. I stopped because of the side affects. I was getting very, very emotional and moody about everthing. At first I wasn't sure if it was the birth control but I talked to other friends and they also had similiar problems. I also got very sore breasts which I never dealt with before so it really bothered me. And the biggest thing was I had a hard time remembering to take my pill around the same time then would get very paranoid I would become pregnant. I then tried the shot but that didn't go well either so I'm going to try the patch next!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 11, 2013 3:49 PM
Review by JuneDee: User Rating:

The only positive thing about Alesse is that it does its job at preventing pregnancy. I've been on Alesse since January & it has noticeably affected my mood. Before Alesse I was always calm, cool, collective & just easy going but now I get upset over things that never bothered me before. I'm sensitive to almost everything now. I thought it was me but after reading the reviews and talking to my doctor it's definitely Alesse that's causing me to be this way. Its causing me to overreact and do rash things which is not in my nature. Its ruining my relationship with my boyfriend. And its also causing me to be mean at work towards my coworkers. After I finish my last pack I'm going to switch to a different pill.

April 5, 2013 9:46 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This was the first pill my doctor perscribed me when I started on birth control and I only took it for one month because of the side effects. I had spotting the first week, acne worsened and my moods were absolutely uncontrollable. During the third week of my pack I cried every day at little things that would normally not phase me. I stopped the pill before I even finished the month because of how out of control I felt. This was not a good first experience for me and made me skeptical to try any other pills.

October 24, 2012 5:00 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have been on Alesse for 6 years now and I have never had a single problem. I had a little bloating and discomfort when I first started on the birth control, but that is normal. I have since then had a lighter period (approx. 4 days) it has also came at the same time EVERY single month. I have never had a late or early period that is not counting around the time of my grad when I was extremely stressed and it was because of the stress that my period came late that month. It is nice to be able to see reviews on this product, because my fiance and I are getting married next year and we plan to try to have children shortly after that, so now I know that it isn't a problem. I would recommend this birth control!

June 2, 2012 10:20 PM
Review by da92 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I am 20 have been using Alesse for about 2 years now. Good: no pregnancies, lighter, predictable periods with no cramping whatsoever (HUGE plus), no weight gain. Bad: I am completely insane on this pill, extreme mood swings, never happy always in a lulled state of lazy depression, brought to tears by every and anything, constantly tired, no motivation, really low sex drive. Horrible: My skin is at a point where I don't even want to step outdoors and be seen by people! Worst breakouts I have ever had, and perpetual yeast infections. The yeast infections, laziness and diminished sex drive basically erase the need for a birth control pill anyway. Very unhappy.

June 1, 2012 4:53 PM
Review by Amyrosie (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I just finished my first month on Alesse and I am SO pleased! I used to avoid hormonal birth control because of reccurent yeast infections and weight gain, but with Alesse, I have no problems! I feel like myself again! It's hard for me to review the contraceptive effect on me since I was told to wait a whole month before having "unprotected" sex. But so far, so good. No weight gain, no infections, no nausea, but sometimes my breasts hurt a little. They didn't get any bigger though. I sometimes feel crampy in the last few days of the month, but nothing severe. I take it with no stop in between, because my PMS and period were too intense. I'm in love with Alesse!

May 23, 2012 10:28 AM
Review by ElleGee (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I started taking Alesse about 3 years ago. It has no effect on my mood, I never gained weight on it, and I basically feel pretty normal when I take it. Of course, I don't think anyone is a fan of actually getting a period every month, and mine usually last 7 days, sometimes even longer. So, my doctor just prescribed me Seasonique and I start that next month. It will be interesting to see if it really only makes you have a period every 3 months. As for Alesse it is great if you don't mind having a period every month.

May 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on this for about a year and everything was great. Then I went off it for about 5 years (did not take anything else in place of Alesse). I then went back on for about 6 months. After the first month, I started having severe external itch, got tested for yeast infection but it wasn't it. For 5 months I woke up 2-3 times every night with unbearable itch. I went off the pill and noticed right away the symptoms were much milder. Within 2 months I'm completely normal again. I don't know what's different between 5 years ago and now but something is definitely different.

July 5, 2011 7:06 PM
Review by Amirra: User Rating:

If you're looking for a birth control that's easy on your body in the sense that you don't get mood swings, no weight gain, good sex drive, etc., you might like Alesse. If you're looking for all that as well as an acne treatment, BEWARE (especially if you have adult acne)! My doctor put me on Alesse because I was looking for a birth control and an acne treatment (I had moderate adult acne on my cheeks). The first three months, I thought I was in heaven. No mood swings, no weight gain, clear skin, etc. Then approaching my period on the fourth month, I woke up with 6 acne cysts on my chin, jaw and lower cheek. I had never had them before. Still getting pre-period cystic breakout, onto Diane 35 next month.

December 3, 2010 3:19 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Alesse for 4 years and am very pleased. Before I was on Alesse I was naturally very moody and my periods were heavy, long, and painful. When I started this pill my mood swings evened out and my period not only got less painful but shortened to only 3 days. I was a little concerned about how quickly I would get pregnant when my husband and I decided it was time but no worries there. I came off the pill New Years 2009 and was pregnant by Valentines. It is now January 2010 and I'm holding a beautiful baby girl. I plan on going back on Alesse as soon as possible.

January 15, 2010 9:29 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I used this pill during my teens and it caused irritability and heavy mood swings. Perhaps it was just teen angst but I tried microgynon recently, which uses the same hormones just different levels, and experienced similar mood swings and depression.

January 3, 2010 10:48 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been on this for a month and after the first two days I had spotting occur and it hasn't stopped since. I never had this problem when I was off birth control and when I was on Seasonique, unfortunately it's quite costly.I've also been extremely tired and experienced depression while on this pill. I'm switching as soon as this month ends.

October 7, 2009 4:02 PM
Review by beepomme: User Rating:

I use Alesse and it works in that I have not gotten pregnant and that it drastically lightens my periods. The bad thing is that ever since I started taking it 3 years ago I've been tired all of the time. Morning, noon and night! It's getting worse so I'm going to stop taking this pill. I want my life back.

August 18, 2009 9:18 PM