User Reviews for Alesse

Ovarian Cysts 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Alesse reviews 35 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Alesse

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I started on Alesse when I was 15 and it was the first birth control pill I had ever used. The first night I got awful headaches, and they carried on for the rest of the week. After that, I became very moody and just about anything could make me cry. Honestly that was the worst part, I've never been more moody and sad in my life. After about four months I began getting two periods a month, and I finally got fed up and switched pills.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2014 11:53 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Up until this past fall, I hadn't experienced any negative side effects while taking the pill. Then I started having anxiety attacks, feeling depressed about everything, rapid weight gain (25lbs in 2 months despite living at the gym), extreme irritability, heavy bleeding (3-4 super tampons every 2 hours) halfway through a pack, intense cramping, new and powerful migraines, and horrible skin. I've been off of it for 2 months now and I feel worlds better. I still have bad skin, and although my anxiety is manageable it's still there, but at least I can get out of bed, and the headaches have slackened. I'm looking at other options now because abstinence is difficult.

February 18, 2014 3:15 PM
Review by Cici115: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've been taking Alesse for 6 years. It's the only birth control I have ever used. And I love it. I've never had problems with it before. My periods are predictable, very light and regular. I don't experience mood swings, or any major cramping on the pill either. It controlled my acne as well. I would suggest Alesse to every girl.

February 1, 2014 2:22 PM
Review by Sandpie: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been using Alesse 28 for a little over a year now and it's my first birth control pill! I use it mainly for period regulation since my period wouldn't come 6 months at a time and for birth control (10/10 effective when used properly). When I first started taking Alesse, my abdominal region felt a bit uncomfortable, but within a matter of about 2 weeks it went away. Some symptoms I've taken notice of was the mild mood swings I'd have once in a while and a little bit of dizziness. Now, the abdominal pain and dizziness I seem to have experienced a year ago has subsided, but the mild mood swings are still apparent and prevalent. I have no consistent weight loss or weight gain, acne, hair loss or hair growth, or loss of a sex drive.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 22, 2014 6:23 PM
Review by Anonymous124562: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Started taking this birth control at 16 and have taken it for a year now. The first three months were horrible, I had mood swings where I would start crying randomly, most of the time because I would take it at 7 pm and around 9 pm would begin feeling sharp cramps in my stomach that were unbearable, it was so hard to continue taking them at work knowing I would be in pain from them. However after three months I stopped having pain. Before the pill I had terrible cramps on my period but since Alesse my cramps are much milder. My mood swings have calmed down and I am not affected at all! A good thing to keep in mind is Alesse is a mild birth control (less hormones than others) so you can still take other medications. I love it, good choice!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 7, 2014 12:34 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been on Alesse 21 for three years. When I started taking it I realized I snapped way easier then usual. But my period is now super predictable and much more mild. I went off it briefly and lost about ten pounds and had a ton more energy, so I believe it causes me to be a little lazy. Even with that I find it fairly reliable.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 1, 2013 6:40 PM
Review by OzmaJin: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: My favorite birth control by far! I have had no side effects other than a minimized monthly period. I've tried other birth controls, included Ortho tri-cyclen low, Desogen, and Microgestin Fe, and Alesse has worked the best for me.

November 13, 2013 12:06 PM
Review by JoyBar (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: My doctor switched me from YAZ to Alesse to help with the weight gain that YAZ gave me (20 pounds in 1 year) and I hate this birth control. From the first month of using it I was an angry beast, it was way to much. Second month I noticed that I lost a little bit of the weight but I noticed I would start crying for no reason often and become depressed. My doctor told me to stick it out for 3 months. Third month I am still an angry beast as well as extremely irritable for extended period's of time. Mind you that YAZ also caused some of these symptoms as well but on Alesse it was tripled.

November 12, 2013 3:02 PM
Review by Freyers: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Alesse 21 is the first birth control pill I've ever tried, so this might make the review a little biased, but I'm still going to share my experience and hope it helps other women out there. So during the first month it was kind of tough, especially since it was the first kind of birth control pill I've ever taken. I did not feel good emotionally. I had a quick-snap temper and it was taking a toll on my daily interactions (this was about two weeks into first taking it) but now, it honestly doesn't affect me as much anymore. I never experienced any bad breakouts of acne, though I still have my occasional mood swing. In terms of period taking the pill definitely regulated my period and made it so much lighter than before.

October 10, 2013 8:34 PM
Review by Mademmtl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I used to take Diane 35 from age 20-25 and my new doctor in a new city convinced me to start taking Alesse recently. I've been taking it for two months now and I have experienced spotting basically every single day since I started, sometimes light spotting, sometimes heavy, and it only stopped for one or two days. I can't find anyone else who has had this same experience so far - might have to change to a different pill. I'm hesitant to do that though because one very good side effect from Alesse has been a reduction in appetite for me! I haven't had aching breasts or acne yet. My moods also have seemed pretty fine. I just want to stop spotting every day.

September 29, 2013 1:36 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I'm 18 years old, I started taking the pill about a month ago. At first, due to the sudden change of hormones, I had a horrible breakout of acne on my face, and I was very emotional and bitter at first. But my first period since being on it was much shorter than my usual periods. Normally my periods last a full week, but this one only lasted about 3-4 days or so. So right away my period got lighter with tolerable and few cramps, as opposed to my normal constant excruciatingly painful cramps that would sentence me to a day or two on the couch with a hot water bottle and some Aleve. My face has cleared since and my emotions are back to normal. I definitely recommend this pill!

August 12, 2013 9:48 PM
Review by Erin R: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: My Doctor prescribed Alesse for me after convincing me to get off of Diane 35, as it had a much lower hormone dose. Almost immediately I began suffering from abdominal cramps, spotting unpredictably, and increased acne on my back, shoulders and jawline. I expected much of this from reading about coming off of Diane and my Dr assured me it would only last a few months. It's been nearly a year later and although the spotting and cramping has subsided, the acne is still there (I can't even wear a top without a hood, let alone a tank top or bathing suit!) and I'm displaying huge lack of interest in life. I have some good days, but spend a lot of time feeling unmotivated, tired, uninterested, etc. I want my life back.

August 10, 2013 5:01 PM
Review by julia122222: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I'm 20 years old and have been taking Alesse for 2 years now. It has done wonders for my period, no cramps or bloating, period is so much lighter and manageable. I haven't had any acne problems or weight gain. My moods have been affected but I believe its only around the time I get my period. As for the tenderness of breasts, I only feel it if something accidentally hits them, other than that the pain isn't noticeable or disturbing. Another plus is the pill is extremely small and easy to swallow, I hate taking pills. I definitely recommend this pill.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 9, 2013 12:11 AM
Review by Shallow (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My wife was always getting abnormal, heavy periods with pain, went to many doctors everyone had their own views, been through many types of ultrasounds, physical exams, blood tests, but no use and no one was able to diagnose problem until she was prescribed to take birth control pill 'Alesse'. Had few problems with the side effects in the beginning and after the first cycle, but its getting a lot better now except for little mode swings. She is not bleeding anymore and all those unknown cramps and whatnot are gone. I guess every contraceptive pill is not for everyone, if one does not suit you then try some other type. These reviews helps a lot, please keep sharing.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 27, 2013 5:27 PM
Review by Infertile but in Pain: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Endometriosis: Alesse was one of the first birth control pills I was perscribed in an attempt to treat my severe endometriosis. While I did not experience any negative side effects for the 6 months I took Alesse, it did not successfully manage my symptoms. It reduced the frequency of my painful cramps, but did not reduce the severity. However, due to the lack of side effects, I would recommend Alesse for birth control purposes, just not endometriosis management.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 13, 2013 9:27 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I was 22 when I was taking the pill and was on it for 3 months. I stopped because of the side affects. I was getting very, very emotional and moody about everthing. At first I wasn't sure if it was the birth control but I talked to other friends and they also had similiar problems. I also got very sore breasts which I never dealt with before so it really bothered me. And the biggest thing was I had a hard time remembering to take my pill around the same time then would get very paranoid I would become pregnant. I then tried the shot but that didn't go well either so I'm going to try the patch next!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 11, 2013 3:49 PM
Review by JuneDee: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: The only positive thing about Alesse is that it does its job at preventing pregnancy. I've been on Alesse since January & it has noticeably affected my mood. Before Alesse I was always calm, cool, collective & just easy going but now I get upset over things that never bothered me before. I'm sensitive to almost everything now. I thought it was me but after reading the reviews and talking to my doctor it's definitely Alesse that's causing me to be this way. Its causing me to overreact and do rash things which is not in my nature. Its ruining my relationship with my boyfriend. And its also causing me to be mean at work towards my coworkers. After I finish my last pack I'm going to switch to a different pill.

April 5, 2013 9:46 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: This was the first pill my doctor perscribed me when I started on birth control and I only took it for one month because of the side effects. I had spotting the first week, acne worsened and my moods were absolutely uncontrollable. During the third week of my pack I cried every day at little things that would normally not phase me. I stopped the pill before I even finished the month because of how out of control I felt. This was not a good first experience for me and made me skeptical to try any other pills.

October 24, 2012 5:00 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel): I have been on Alesse for 7 days now and already notice a positive change in my mood. After weaning my nearly two year old daughter I started to feel very moody and depressed do to hormonal changes. I am already feeling like myself again. I feel great.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 3, 2012 2:44 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have been on Alesse for 6 years now and I have never had a single problem. I had a little bloating and discomfort when I first started on the birth control, but that is normal. I have since then had a lighter period (approx. 4 days) it has also came at the same time EVERY single month. I have never had a late or early period that is not counting around the time of my grad when I was extremely stressed and it was because of the stress that my period came late that month. It is nice to be able to see reviews on this product, because my fiance and I are getting married next year and we plan to try to have children shortly after that, so now I know that it isn't a problem. I would recommend this birth control!

June 2, 2012 10:20 PM
Review by da92 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 20 have been using Alesse for about 2 years now. Good: no pregnancies, lighter, predictable periods with no cramping whatsoever (HUGE plus), no weight gain. Bad: I am completely insane on this pill, extreme mood swings, never happy always in a lulled state of lazy depression, brought to tears by every and anything, constantly tired, no motivation, really low sex drive. Horrible: My skin is at a point where I don't even want to step outdoors and be seen by people! Worst breakouts I have ever had, and perpetual yeast infections. The yeast infections, laziness and diminished sex drive basically erase the need for a birth control pill anyway. Very unhappy.

June 1, 2012 4:53 PM
Review by Amyrosie (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I just finished my first month on Alesse and I am SO pleased! I used to avoid hormonal birth control because of reccurent yeast infections and weight gain, but with Alesse, I have no problems! I feel like myself again! It's hard for me to review the contraceptive effect on me since I was told to wait a whole month before having "unprotected" sex. But so far, so good. No weight gain, no infections, no nausea, but sometimes my breasts hurt a little. They didn't get any bigger though. I sometimes feel crampy in the last few days of the month, but nothing severe. I take it with no stop in between, because my PMS and period were too intense. I'm in love with Alesse!

May 23, 2012 10:28 AM
Review by ElleGee (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I started taking Alesse about 3 years ago. It has no effect on my mood, I never gained weight on it, and I basically feel pretty normal when I take it. Of course, I don't think anyone is a fan of actually getting a period every month, and mine usually last 7 days, sometimes even longer. So, my doctor just prescribed me Seasonique and I start that next month. It will be interesting to see if it really only makes you have a period every 3 months. As for Alesse it is great if you don't mind having a period every month.

May 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Review by Zapat: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I started taking this medicine in the beginning of Nov.2011, mainly to reduce my hormonal acne and to regulate my period. At the end of that same month, I got my period and surprisingly the cramps were not severe. In fact, I had never had such a peaceful period in a long time. Since then, my periods have been painless. :) Mid December, I noticed that the severity of my acne had diminished and my skin had started to clear. End of Jan. 2012, I got 5 painful cysts on my face. I was extremely upset, but I decided to be patient and stick with it. My patience paid off. It is end of February 2012 and my face looks way better. I haven't had any cysts since then. As for the side effects, just nausea when medicine is taken on an empty stomach. I LOVE IT.

February 26, 2012 11:40 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Alesse (ethinyl estradiol / levonorgestrel) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: This birth control pill was diagnosed for my PCOS and worked well for the first few months but then it gave me severe gallstones and I ended up having to have a gallbladder removal surgery.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate