Medication Guide App

Ovarian Cysts 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Alesse reviews 51 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Alesse

Review by Jessdes (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: This has worked amazingly for my hormonal acne (cystic acne on the sides of my chin). Ive been taking it for about a year now and I get the odd zit here and again but for the most part its cleared up. Most effective treatment I have ever used for acne. I dont bother taking the sugar pills or skip a week, I just go right to the next pack as recommended by my doctor.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 2:24 PM

Review by Alesse 28 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I've been on Alesse for five months now and I had every side effect. Crazy acne (I've never had until I started taking Alesse), mood swings, weight gain (I was 120lb before starting Alesse and not five months later 145lb - I am a petit woman and I don't eat very much, my food intake and Excerise has not changed thus, the weight gain is depressing), chest pain, swelling breast and no sex drive. The pro about Alesse is that it regulates. I had regular periods for five months. The only reason I was put in birth control was to maintain my polycystic ovarian syndrome. I'm 23 and was diagnosed with PCOS last year. I am now switching to a new birth control (Tri Cyclen Lo) and hopefully this one is better. Finger crossed!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2015 8:25 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I have been on Alesse for 6 years now and I have never had any issues. No cramping, no acne, no weight gain. I highly recommend this birth control. 24 yr old

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2015 4:08 PM

Review by Sovia (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was put on Alesse 28, it's the first birth control I've been on and my overall experience has been good. When I first went on it I could barely keep my hands of my boyfriend but I blame it mostly on having a slight hormone imbalance. I also experienced an increase in breast size but I was told that it was a possible side effect. Then I missed a pill and even though I followed procedure it triggered my period. Then after that I kept spotting and was getting really frustrated. It would stop for a couple days then start up again for a couple days, then it magically stopped and I didn't have any problems after that. I found out later that you can have spotting within the first three months. Other then that I have less acne and lighter periods.

December 1, 2014 8:50 PM

Review by Soph010 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I've only been on Alesse for 3 weeks and since this is my first time on a birth control pill, I can't really say all that much except for the fact that i've been spotting for 5 days, I should be getting my period in about a week and I get cranky extremely easily now (well more than normal) but other than that, it's been a decent experience so far I guess.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 8:32 AM

Review by LoriCakes25:

For Birth Control: When I first began birth control years ago, they put me on one that made me so moody, depressed, killed my libido and changed my personality, it felt. I went back to my doctor and tried several different pills and eventually I tried Alesse since it was low dose and I didn't have any negative side effects! I was always regular, but have always had bad cramps. This cut them back and made my periods short. I didn't get any unusual acne, or weight gain. If anything I lost weight. And it not only increased my libido, it made my O very strong and last longer. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this. But I just loved it! I got off it after my divorce, but I will never use any other pill again. I've tried too many and this one is for me.

September 29, 2014 3:37 PM

Review by SharkWeek405 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Alesse twice, this time for 2 months so far. I've had no problems at all. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and it's fixed my period so far. My complexion is getting better, I've had no unusual depression or anxiety and I haven't gained additional weight.

August 13, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by Miss Kass:

For Birth Control: First Time, First Month on Alesse 28! This first month on Alesse has been really something. I have had really no side effects except the odd feeling weird until about 4 days ago. I started bleeding with 5 days left on the pill and feeling nauseous with a headache here and there, fatigued, and achy everywhere! While I'm still able to eat, I have no energy and feel like crap all the time...Will this get better going into the second month? The cramps start over heavy then get lighter, it's really off and on but my for my period right now, it's a bit lighter then before but I haven't seen a big difference yet? Is this because it's only the first month? Just wanted to share my experience because it's really been something!

August 8, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by azn gurl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Alesse for 6 months without problems. I gained a cup size and maintained my weight. No mood swings. No spotting. TAKE NOTE OF THE BRAND AT YOUR PHARMACY THOUGH! Often times they prescribe you a generic brand even IF your doctor wrote Alesse. I had noticed this and spoke to my pharmacist. And got the name brand.

July 15, 2014 12:01 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Almost done my first pack of Alesse. This is the first birth control that I've been on and the experience hasn't been too great. I had extreme nausea the first three days, extreme anxiety for three days after that, and painful breasts that followed and have not stopped. My breasts have also grown a bit (but that's more of a good thing). I'm hoping that the side effects will eventually go away but so far it has been a negative experience. I'm scared to switch to other pills in fear of the symptoms being worse.

July 11, 2014 1:01 AM

Review by Laurvg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Alesse for about 3 months and my acne is terrible and I feel depressed often. I've had no spotting and very light periods though.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by Shanny112 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: It did not help with PMS or acne but I had no weight gain.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by Sally Wag (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: Alesse was the first birth control pill I tried. Prior to this pill I had Depo Provera (there was about a 3 month gap in between these contraceptives) and it was such an awful experience. I was so scared to try any birth control cause the last one made me feel so incredibly crappy. My nurse told me to try Alesse because it was the lowest dose of hormones (according to her) so I reluctantly tried it. Its been 9 months and I haven't had any problems. Periods are only 3 days and they're extremely light. No depression, no major weight gain (I work out regularly so its hard to know for sure), no complete loss in sex drive, no spotting. Only con to Alesse that both my friend and I agree on is the facial acne. Try Alesse if you need birth control!

June 5, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by 22 year old Female (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I was on Alesse for many years, and it worked fine, hardly had any symptoms. At first it made me feel like I Wanted to be more intimate with my significant other, but after a few years of taking it I now have bad leg cramps, a very extremely low desire to Have any kind of sexual engagement with my partner and I gained about 20 pounds since I've been on it. I'm not blaming the birth control for the weight gain but I'm looking forward to getting my libido back.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 1:49 AM

Review by Desiree3217:

For Birth Control: I just started taking Alesse, but I was using it before. Due to lack of money I had to go off and come back on again. I'm constantly spotting from a lot to a little in a matter of hours. I'm a lot more snappy then I have ever been. I get sassy quickly. Headaches almost all the time.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 8:22 PM

Review by Kayliexoxo:

For Birth Control: I've been on Alesse for about 3 years including the time I decided to have Mirena put in (then promptly removed a month later) and tried the patch for about a month. Neither Mirena or the Evra patch, despite how easy they are to use, compared to Alesse. I also tried Triceclyn Lo for about 6 months, but my doctor switched me to Alesse after I complained of stomach cramps and constant bloating, which Alesse seemed to fix. THE PROS: no weight gain, no facial acne, no weird side effects like unwanted hair growth, no pregnancies and a period that is fairly short, light and always on time. THE CONS: Acne on my back, mood swings and depression, low sex drive, and quite painful menstrual cramps. Overall, I like it and would recommend.

April 13, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I started on Alesse when I was 15 and it was the first birth control pill I had ever used. The first night I got awful headaches, and they carried on for the rest of the week. After that, I became very moody and just about anything could make me cry. Honestly that was the worst part, I've never been more moody and sad in my life. After about four months I began getting two periods a month, and I finally got fed up and switched pills.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2014 11:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: Up until this past fall, I hadn't experienced any negative side effects while taking the pill. Then I started having anxiety attacks, feeling depressed about everything, rapid weight gain (25lbs in 2 months despite living at the gym), extreme irritability, heavy bleeding (3-4 super tampons every 2 hours) halfway through a pack, intense cramping, new and powerful migraines, and horrible skin. I've been off of it for 2 months now and I feel worlds better. I still have bad skin, and although my anxiety is manageable it's still there, but at least I can get out of bed, and the headaches have slackened. I'm looking at other options now because abstinence is difficult.

February 18, 2014 3:15 PM

Review by Cici115:

For Birth Control: I've been taking Alesse for 6 years. It's the only birth control I have ever used. And I love it. I've never had problems with it before. My periods are predictable, very light and regular. I don't experience mood swings, or any major cramping on the pill either. It controlled my acne as well. I would suggest Alesse to every girl.

February 1, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by Sandpie:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been using Alesse 28 for a little over a year now and it's my first birth control pill! I use it mainly for period regulation since my period wouldn't come 6 months at a time and for birth control (10/10 effective when used properly). When I first started taking Alesse, my abdominal region felt a bit uncomfortable, but within a matter of about 2 weeks it went away. Some symptoms I've taken notice of was the mild mood swings I'd have once in a while and a little bit of dizziness. Now, the abdominal pain and dizziness I seem to have experienced a year ago has subsided, but the mild mood swings are still apparent and prevalent. I have no consistent weight loss or weight gain, acne, hair loss or hair growth, or loss of a sex drive.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Anonymous124562:

For Birth Control: Started taking this birth control at 16 and have taken it for a year now. The first three months were horrible, I had mood swings where I would start crying randomly, most of the time because I would take it at 7 pm and around 9 pm would begin feeling sharp cramps in my stomach that were unbearable, it was so hard to continue taking them at work knowing I would be in pain from them. However after three months I stopped having pain. Before the pill I had terrible cramps on my period but since Alesse my cramps are much milder. My mood swings have calmed down and I am not affected at all! A good thing to keep in mind is Alesse is a mild birth control (less hormones than others) so you can still take other medications. I love it, good choice!

January 7, 2014 12:34 AM

For Birth Control: I have been on Alesse 21 for three years. When I started taking it I realized I snapped way easier then usual. But my period is now super predictable and much more mild. I went off it briefly and lost about ten pounds and had a ton more energy, so I believe it causes me to be a little lazy. Even with that I find it fairly reliable.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2013 6:40 PM

Review by OzmaJin:

For Birth Control: My favorite birth control by far! I have had no side effects other than a minimized monthly period. I've tried other birth controls, included Ortho tri-cyclen low, Desogen, and Microgestin Fe, and Alesse has worked the best for me.

November 13, 2013 12:06 PM

Review by JoyBar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: My doctor switched me from YAZ to Alesse to help with the weight gain that YAZ gave me (20 pounds in 1 year) and I hate this birth control. From the first month of using it I was an angry beast, it was way to much. Second month I noticed that I lost a little bit of the weight but I noticed I would start crying for no reason often and become depressed. My doctor told me to stick it out for 3 months. Third month I am still an angry beast as well as extremely irritable for extended period's of time. Mind you that YAZ also caused some of these symptoms as well but on Alesse it was tripled.

November 12, 2013 3:02 PM

Review by Freyers:

For Birth Control: Alesse 21 is the first birth control pill I've ever tried, so this might make the review a little biased, but I'm still going to share my experience and hope it helps other women out there. So during the first month it was kind of tough, especially since it was the first kind of birth control pill I've ever taken. I did not feel good emotionally. I had a quick-snap temper and it was taking a toll on my daily interactions (this was about two weeks into first taking it) but now, it honestly doesn't affect me as much anymore. I never experienced any bad breakouts of acne, though I still have my occasional mood swing. In terms of period taking the pill definitely regulated my period and made it so much lighter than before.

October 10, 2013 8:34 PM