User Reviews for Alesse

Ovarian Cysts 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Alesse reviews 46 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Alesse

Review by LoriCakes25:

For Birth Control: When I first began birth control years ago, they put me on one that made me so moody, depressed, killed my libido and changed my personality, it felt. I went back to my doctor and tried several different pills and eventually I tried Alesse since it was low dose and I didn't have any negative side effects! I was always regular, but have always had bad cramps. This cut them back and made my periods short. I didn't get any unusual acne, or weight gain. If anything I lost weight. And it not only increased my libido, it made my O very strong and last longer. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this. But I just loved it! I got off it after my divorce, but I will never use any other pill again. I've tried too many and this one is for me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 3:37 PM

Review by SharkWeek405 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Alesse twice, this time for 2 months so far. I've had no problems at all. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and it's fixed my period so far. My complexion is getting better, I've had no unusual depression or anxiety and I haven't gained additional weight.

August 13, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by Miss Kass:

For Birth Control: First Time, First Month on Alesse 28! This first month on Alesse has been really something. I have had really no side effects except the odd feeling weird until about 4 days ago. I started bleeding with 5 days left on the pill and feeling nauseous with a headache here and there, fatigued, and achy everywhere! While I'm still able to eat, I have no energy and feel like crap all the time...Will this get better going into the second month? The cramps start over heavy then get lighter, it's really off and on but my for my period right now, it's a bit lighter then before but I haven't seen a big difference yet? Is this because it's only the first month? Just wanted to share my experience because it's really been something!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by azn gurl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Alesse for 6 months without problems. I gained a cup size and maintained my weight. No mood swings. No spotting. TAKE NOTE OF THE BRAND AT YOUR PHARMACY THOUGH! Often times they prescribe you a generic brand even IF your doctor wrote Alesse. I had noticed this and spoke to my pharmacist. And got the name brand.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 12:01 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Almost done my first pack of Alesse. This is the first birth control that I've been on and the experience hasn't been too great. I had extreme nausea the first three days, extreme anxiety for three days after that, and painful breasts that followed and have not stopped. My breasts have also grown a bit (but that's more of a good thing). I'm hoping that the side effects will eventually go away but so far it has been a negative experience. I'm scared to switch to other pills in fear of the symptoms being worse.

July 11, 2014 1:01 AM

Review by Laurvg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on Alesse for about 3 months and my acne is terrible and I feel depressed often. I've had no spotting and very light periods though.

June 30, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by Shanny112 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: It did not help with PMS or acne but I had no weight gain.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by Sally Wag (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: Alesse was the first birth control pill I tried. Prior to this pill I had Depo Provera (there was about a 3 month gap in between these contraceptives) and it was such an awful experience. I was so scared to try any birth control cause the last one made me feel so incredibly crappy. My nurse told me to try Alesse because it was the lowest dose of hormones (according to her) so I reluctantly tried it. Its been 9 months and I haven't had any problems. Periods are only 3 days and they're extremely light. No depression, no major weight gain (I work out regularly so its hard to know for sure), no complete loss in sex drive, no spotting. Only con to Alesse that both my friend and I agree on is the facial acne. Try Alesse if you need birth control!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by 22 year old Female (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I was on Alesse for many years, and it worked fine, hardly had any symptoms. At first it made me feel like I Wanted to be more intimate with my significant other, but after a few years of taking it I now have bad leg cramps, a very extremely low desire to Have any kind of sexual engagement with my partner and I gained about 20 pounds since I've been on it. I'm not blaming the birth control for the weight gain but I'm looking forward to getting my libido back.

May 26, 2014 1:49 AM

Review by Desiree3217:

For Birth Control: I just started taking Alesse, but I was using it before. Due to lack of money I had to go off and come back on again. I'm constantly spotting from a lot to a little in a matter of hours. I'm a lot more snappy then I have ever been. I get sassy quickly. Headaches almost all the time.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 8:22 PM

Review by Kayliexoxo:

For Birth Control: I've been on Alesse for about 3 years including the time I decided to have Mirena put in (then promptly removed a month later) and tried the patch for about a month. Neither Mirena or the Evra patch, despite how easy they are to use, compared to Alesse. I also tried Triceclyn Lo for about 6 months, but my doctor switched me to Alesse after I complained of stomach cramps and constant bloating, which Alesse seemed to fix. THE PROS: no weight gain, no facial acne, no weird side effects like unwanted hair growth, no pregnancies and a period that is fairly short, light and always on time. THE CONS: Acne on my back, mood swings and depression, low sex drive, and quite painful menstrual cramps. Overall, I like it and would recommend.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2014 10:46 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I started on Alesse when I was 15 and it was the first birth control pill I had ever used. The first night I got awful headaches, and they carried on for the rest of the week. After that, I became very moody and just about anything could make me cry. Honestly that was the worst part, I've never been more moody and sad in my life. After about four months I began getting two periods a month, and I finally got fed up and switched pills.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2014 11:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: Up until this past fall, I hadn't experienced any negative side effects while taking the pill. Then I started having anxiety attacks, feeling depressed about everything, rapid weight gain (25lbs in 2 months despite living at the gym), extreme irritability, heavy bleeding (3-4 super tampons every 2 hours) halfway through a pack, intense cramping, new and powerful migraines, and horrible skin. I've been off of it for 2 months now and I feel worlds better. I still have bad skin, and although my anxiety is manageable it's still there, but at least I can get out of bed, and the headaches have slackened. I'm looking at other options now because abstinence is difficult.

February 18, 2014 3:15 PM

Review by Cici115:

For Birth Control: I've been taking Alesse for 6 years. It's the only birth control I have ever used. And I love it. I've never had problems with it before. My periods are predictable, very light and regular. I don't experience mood swings, or any major cramping on the pill either. It controlled my acne as well. I would suggest Alesse to every girl.

February 1, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by Sandpie:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been using Alesse 28 for a little over a year now and it's my first birth control pill! I use it mainly for period regulation since my period wouldn't come 6 months at a time and for birth control (10/10 effective when used properly). When I first started taking Alesse, my abdominal region felt a bit uncomfortable, but within a matter of about 2 weeks it went away. Some symptoms I've taken notice of was the mild mood swings I'd have once in a while and a little bit of dizziness. Now, the abdominal pain and dizziness I seem to have experienced a year ago has subsided, but the mild mood swings are still apparent and prevalent. I have no consistent weight loss or weight gain, acne, hair loss or hair growth, or loss of a sex drive.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Anonymous124562:

For Birth Control: Started taking this birth control at 16 and have taken it for a year now. The first three months were horrible, I had mood swings where I would start crying randomly, most of the time because I would take it at 7 pm and around 9 pm would begin feeling sharp cramps in my stomach that were unbearable, it was so hard to continue taking them at work knowing I would be in pain from them. However after three months I stopped having pain. Before the pill I had terrible cramps on my period but since Alesse my cramps are much milder. My mood swings have calmed down and I am not affected at all! A good thing to keep in mind is Alesse is a mild birth control (less hormones than others) so you can still take other medications. I love it, good choice!

January 7, 2014 12:34 AM

For Birth Control: I have been on Alesse 21 for three years. When I started taking it I realized I snapped way easier then usual. But my period is now super predictable and much more mild. I went off it briefly and lost about ten pounds and had a ton more energy, so I believe it causes me to be a little lazy. Even with that I find it fairly reliable.

December 1, 2013 6:40 PM

Review by OzmaJin:

For Birth Control: My favorite birth control by far! I have had no side effects other than a minimized monthly period. I've tried other birth controls, included Ortho tri-cyclen low, Desogen, and Microgestin Fe, and Alesse has worked the best for me.

November 13, 2013 12:06 PM

Review by JoyBar (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: My doctor switched me from YAZ to Alesse to help with the weight gain that YAZ gave me (20 pounds in 1 year) and I hate this birth control. From the first month of using it I was an angry beast, it was way to much. Second month I noticed that I lost a little bit of the weight but I noticed I would start crying for no reason often and become depressed. My doctor told me to stick it out for 3 months. Third month I am still an angry beast as well as extremely irritable for extended period's of time. Mind you that YAZ also caused some of these symptoms as well but on Alesse it was tripled.

November 12, 2013 3:02 PM

Review by Freyers:

For Birth Control: Alesse 21 is the first birth control pill I've ever tried, so this might make the review a little biased, but I'm still going to share my experience and hope it helps other women out there. So during the first month it was kind of tough, especially since it was the first kind of birth control pill I've ever taken. I did not feel good emotionally. I had a quick-snap temper and it was taking a toll on my daily interactions (this was about two weeks into first taking it) but now, it honestly doesn't affect me as much anymore. I never experienced any bad breakouts of acne, though I still have my occasional mood swing. In terms of period taking the pill definitely regulated my period and made it so much lighter than before.

October 10, 2013 8:34 PM

Review by Mademmtl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I used to take Diane 35 from age 20-25 and my new doctor in a new city convinced me to start taking Alesse recently. I've been taking it for two months now and I have experienced spotting basically every single day since I started, sometimes light spotting, sometimes heavy, and it only stopped for one or two days. I can't find anyone else who has had this same experience so far - might have to change to a different pill. I'm hesitant to do that though because one very good side effect from Alesse has been a reduction in appetite for me! I haven't had aching breasts or acne yet. My moods also have seemed pretty fine. I just want to stop spotting every day.

September 29, 2013 1:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I'm 18 years old, I started taking the pill about a month ago. At first, due to the sudden change of hormones, I had a horrible breakout of acne on my face, and I was very emotional and bitter at first. But my first period since being on it was much shorter than my usual periods. Normally my periods last a full week, but this one only lasted about 3-4 days or so. So right away my period got lighter with tolerable and few cramps, as opposed to my normal constant excruciatingly painful cramps that would sentence me to a day or two on the couch with a hot water bottle and some Aleve. My face has cleared since and my emotions are back to normal. I definitely recommend this pill!

August 12, 2013 9:48 PM

Review by Erin R:

For Birth Control: My Doctor prescribed Alesse for me after convincing me to get off of Diane 35, as it had a much lower hormone dose. Almost immediately I began suffering from abdominal cramps, spotting unpredictably, and increased acne on my back, shoulders and jawline. I expected much of this from reading about coming off of Diane and my Dr assured me it would only last a few months. It's been nearly a year later and although the spotting and cramping has subsided, the acne is still there (I can't even wear a top without a hood, let alone a tank top or bathing suit!) and I'm displaying huge lack of interest in life. I have some good days, but spend a lot of time feeling unmotivated, tired, uninterested, etc. I want my life back.

August 10, 2013 5:01 PM

Review by julia122222:

For Birth Control: I'm 20 years old and have been taking Alesse for 2 years now. It has done wonders for my period, no cramps or bloating, period is so much lighter and manageable. I haven't had any acne problems or weight gain. My moods have been affected but I believe its only around the time I get my period. As for the tenderness of breasts, I only feel it if something accidentally hits them, other than that the pain isn't noticeable or disturbing. Another plus is the pill is extremely small and easy to swallow, I hate taking pills. I definitely recommend this pill.

August 9, 2013 12:11 AM

Review by Shallow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My wife was always getting abnormal, heavy periods with pain, went to many doctors everyone had their own views, been through many types of ultrasounds, physical exams, blood tests, but no use and no one was able to diagnose problem until she was prescribed to take birth control pill 'Alesse'. Had few problems with the side effects in the beginning and after the first cycle, but its getting a lot better now except for little mode swings. She is not bleeding anymore and all those unknown cramps and whatnot are gone. I guess every contraceptive pill is not for everyone, if one does not suit you then try some other type. These reviews helps a lot, please keep sharing.

June 27, 2013 5:27 PM