User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 26 reviews 6 medications

6.2
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 619 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by D.A.P. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: I found Cymbalta to be a miracle for me. Within a week of taking it most of my aches and pains disappeared and even my massage therapist stated she noticed a big difference. The problem was the side effects of sexual dysfunction and dry mouth. I added Wellbutrin and love that medication as it greatly improved my mood, but still did not help with the sexual dysfunction. I am now on Lamotrigine and Wellbutrin but the pains in my joints worsened unbelievably, intolerable really. I think I will be dropping the Lamotrigine and going back to the Cymbalta, and just put up with the side effects.

November 11, 2013 8:08 PM

Review by JMsr:

For Depression: I was on cymbalta 60mg for 18 months. I've been on many different antidepressants throughout the years. My issue is not when you take it but when you go off. Please do not take this medicine. I've gone through hell the last 12 days getting this drug out of my system. Google cymbalta withdrawal or cymbalta discontinuation syndrome to learn more.

November 5, 2013 2:48 AM

Review by Anon5002:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After having done fine w/alprazolam and citalopram for years, and wanting to slightly up my alprazolam for my GAD, Doc suggested I try cymbalta. I had a *horrible* experience with this drug (have never before experienced such bad side effects). I can't recall the dosage, but it was a sample, so I don't believe it was anything too high. First day I took it, I felt absolutely wiped out, like all the energy had been sucked from my body. I could barely make it to the bed to lay down. A few hours later the muscles in my jaw began spasm-ing involuntarily, I could feel them tightening and clamping my teeth together, then slightly relaxing. I didn't take the next pill, and it took a day for side effects to go away. I'll never take it again.

October 29, 2013 7:04 PM

Review by rustyspur (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: My rheumatologist had me on a very high dosage, so much that I had to pay for two seperate scripts at the pharmacy. I guess so many people do have a positive response to this med, my doctor thought increasing the med mg would result in symptom improvement, however that wasn't the case. I hated (that's a strong word for me) Cymbalta. I was told I acted like another person while on it and not in a good way. Even though I strictly followed my pharmacist and doctors directions when tapering off if this med, I still had severe withdrawal during and after reducing the mg. I even called the doctor and pharmacy because I was so concerned; I all but went to the emergency room in the beginning stages since I had never had withdrawal symptoms before.

October 28, 2013 2:15 PM

Review by richirfirefly (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Changed from effexor to Cymbalta for secondary reasons other than its intended use and it works wonders.

October 27, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by smonroe:

For Depression: Taking it for both fibromyalgia and major depressive disorder. Works great for me!! I no longer have insurance so I get it thru the drug company.

October 27, 2013 1:12 AM

Review by Aussie mumma:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Cymbalta for 7months and it has changed my life. I have Ocd, GAD and severe anxiety over health and I havent felt like myself in 4 years until cymbalta. I do get night sweats BADDDDD but its something I have got used too. I take 60mg a day and I never want to get off it. I am a 26 yr old healthy mum and anxiety now doesnt rule my life... I do! :-)

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2013 6:45 PM

Review by Willy G:

For Depression: I have been taking different medicines for depression for the last 20 years. I have tried almost everything and Wellbutrin is the only thing that has even helped me. I have noticed only a very minor improvement but it is better than no improvement. I was advised to take Cymbalta with it. Even with my insurance, it still costs me $50 a month! I tried it for 3 months with no noticeable change. I can't afford to waste money on something that may or may not work. I figured for that much money, this drug should be very good. At least the Wellbutrin only costs me $10 a month and I do get some noticeable help from it.

October 21, 2013 2:17 AM

Review by the best yet:

For Fibromyalgia: During my mid 40's, I began experiencing excruciating neck pain. I had cervical fusion for a ruptured cervical disk. After the surgery, I have had extreme chronic fatigue, bone pain, overall body pain, and paralysis of one vocal cord. I tried numerous pain medications which had absolutely no effect on my pain. Ultimately, the combination of medications that helped were a low dosage of methadone, Prozac, and Provigil (for narcolepsy). Recently my doctor changed by Prozac to Cymbalta. My pain is now almost gone! (I am still taking methadone, but maybe it will no longer be necessary. (I changed to Nuvigil for extreme daytime sleepiness.) No side effects from Cymbalta except for slight nausea during the first week of use.

October 20, 2013 1:15 PM

Review by emgem (taken for less than 1 month):

For Chronic Pain: Felt only side effects. Extremely tired, erectile dysfunction, dry mouth, headache, dizziness, cold sweats.

October 15, 2013 6:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I don't feel like this made too much of a difference and was prescribed to replace Zoloft which I believe was better but made me gain a lot of weight. Getting off of Cymbalta was very hard, although I followed my doctors instructions and decreased very gradually, by the end I had to start taking motion sickness pills due to the dizziness and nausea I experienced from the withdrawals. I also experienced headaches and felt like my eyes would cross every time I took a step. Getting onto it was super easy, I went from 60mg-120mg pretty quickly, and I lowered it from 120-90-60-30 over the course of about 2 months and still dealt with these withdrawal effects.

October 8, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by amesville:

For Anxiety: Cymbalta saved my sanity. I was under incredible work pressure and stress for three solid months (new job covering for one coworker on maternity leave another coworker having a sudden heart attack and Crohn's flare up. Me running the office for three months, even though I'd just been hired). I had a doctor's appointment and broke down on the table. He prescribed Celexa first, which gave me severe panic attacks. Then he switched me to Cymbalta, and I was back to normal within days. The downside: It is extremely hard to stop taking it. I was intended to take it only for the short term, until things calmed down at work. Two years later, I'm still on it because going off was WEIRD. Numbness, tingling, weird sensory inputs, distraction.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by Little 'ole me:

For Anxiety: I have been on Cymbalta for almost 5 years after a very difficult 4 years of PND/PSTD. Other medications got me to a point of about 50 percent improvement. This was far from ideal/adequate. Cymbalta worked for me like no other antidepressant. My anxiety reduced to the point where I can function at a pretty high level. I still have bouts of anxiety and occasional dark moods but they pass and even now are fewer and further between. I have tried to come off of it a few times but at 30mg the cogs begin to turn faster and I can feel my anxiety levels significantly increasing. I am concerned that my emotions are a bit blunted and like someone else said, I cannot cry, which I miss. I used to like a good, therapeutic cry. I also have no sex drive.

September 29, 2013 6:07 AM

Review by tlw2930 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I love Cymbalta! I take it with 150mg of Wellbutrin XL. I am on 30mg at this time and in another week my Dr. wants me to up it to 60mg. I finally feel happy and have lots of energy. Combined with the Wellbutrin I have not gained any weight. Life is finally good again.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2013 1:33 PM

Review by Female 50 yrs of age:

For Anxiety: Have been on this medication for 4 yrs for Anxiety Disorder & Fibromyalgia. Cymbalta has definitely helped with both conditions. Without it, I'd be in an almost constant state of Anxiety & the Fibromyalgia flare-ups would be much worse. (Found this out when I reduced the dose from 60 mgs a day to 30mgs every other day, after hitting the expensive Medicare "donut hole" last year. That reduction also caused severe depression within a month and I've never been diagnosed with depression!). My side effects include some gastrointestinal problems & 30 lb. weight gain, despite daily exercise/diet. (All SSRI's cause weight gain for me). Hate the extra weight gain, but it's better than having Anxiety/Fibromyalgia pain.

September 12, 2013 1:46 AM

Review by angziety (taken for less than 1 month):

For Fibromyalgia: I am on Lyrica 150 mg a day, but it started to lose it's effectiveness after about 5 months. I can't afford to see the doctor or get more Lyrica. I tried Cymbalta for my PMDD and hoped that it might help my pain too. My pain was almost completely gone after about 2 days of use! However, I started getting sores on my tongue, emotional numbness, and had zero libido. I stopped using it after about 7 days, and the pain came back worse than ever (I believe I had been overdoing it those few days). I seriously considered putting up with the side effects just to get some pain relief, but I'm trying bupropion XL first.

September 12, 2013 12:36 AM

Review by Mustangfire (taken for less than 1 month):

For Fibromyalgia: I recently starting taking Cymbalta for my chronic back (several herniated discs), Costocondritis (chest inflamation), and other related pains classified as Fibromyalgia and Chronic lower back pain. The medication works. It has nearly removed my chest pain and lower back pains by 90% and only a few lingering pains still exist and only in spurts. I've only been on the 60mg dosage for a few weeks, so it may get better. As a side effect, my PE is gone. I never told a doc about it and it has been killing me for a decade. I've tried everything else, none helped. I looked online with a search of Cymbalta and PE and there are sources to confirm it works.

September 9, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by lisalevidaisybob:

For Depression: I cried everyday for three months due to uncontrollable pain from rheumatoid arthritis. I was also suffering from severe depression as a result. The first time I took Cymbalta,, 30 mg, I noticed I no longer felt defeated and felt for the first time since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that the pain was at times manageable. It helped give me hope. It's been almost three months since I started Cymbalta and it is still working well. I'm super thankful my doctor recommended it.

September 6, 2013 6:03 AM

Review by audio51 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: No symptom relief at all, but did have sexual side effects

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 4:21 PM

Review by mh2256:

For Fibromyalgia: I was on 60mg of Cymbalta for a year or more. Did not want to be on antidepressants all my life so I weaned off it 2 months ago. My fibromyalgia pains have returned with a vengeance, more than before. I am going back to Cymbalta as I want to have some quality of life. I feel debilitated at the moment. Have been taking this tablet in the morning but after reading the reviews on this forum I will change to night.

September 3, 2013 12:58 AM

Review by JanetM416 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am on 30mg twice daily for depression and fibromyalgia. I have been extremely fatigued! I am also having episodes of doing things and not remembering and also passed out on the floor, but have no recollection of anything. All I want to do is sleep and if not for having a toddler at home and three children that I have to get off to school and one to work, I would probably just stay in bed sleeping all day and night. I'm hoping that this side effect wears off soon because otherwise they are helping a lot with my mood and depression. I was on Wellbutrin and it wasn't working, I had extreme episodes of crying and anger issues.

August 28, 2013 5:50 AM

Review by Jen1974 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Fibromyalgia: It has worked very well for me. I have insurance but I have to pay $202 a month for 60mg.

August 24, 2013 3:23 PM

Review by speedfire:

For Anxiety: I was started on Cymbalta 30mg about 6 months ago. I was increasingly anxious and irritable and quick to start arguments. My presenting complaint was however tinnitus due to jaw clenching! Cymbalta almost immediately calmed me down. I feel less guilt feelings about everything. I can walk away from arguments unless really pushed - and then just watch out! My spouse thinks I am better for it. However I do feel rather fatigued and now find it difficult to exercise but once I start I have no problem. I can focus and work with a less antagonistic attitudes. Sleep is better. Sex is better. No weight problem. I do drink very moderately with no problem. Missing doses is a major problem: headaches, dizziness, nightmares.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2013 1:33 PM

Review by Good but Pricey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started on 30mg of Cymbalta for a week then up to 60mg. I've taken it for about 2 years and noticed it really helped. When I got pregnant, my doctor told me to wean off it by taking it every other day. That was hell! He should have prescribed me a lower dosage. The price of it doubled so I no longer take it. I weaned off it this time by going from 60mg to 30mg then to 20mg. What a difference. That was manageable. Another down side is when I was on 60mg, if I would workout in the evenings, I would be wide awake at 3am! That was not the case when I was taking 30mg.

August 20, 2013 1:47 PM

Review by electron_doc:

For Fibromyalgia: When Cymbalta became available I was trying it for dysthymia, but found my fibromyalgia and neuropathy became much better. I think it's worth trying, it worked wonders for me and I started taking it with the attitude that it wasn't going to work.

August 15, 2013 12:14 AM