User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 28 reviews 6 medications

6.1
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 640 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by Lala- age 30 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I started this medication after I basically had a nervous breakdown in June 2013. I couldn't function as a mother, I felt scared & nervous all the time, lights were too bright, sounds were too loud. I couldn't deal with all of the things that needed to be done around the house. Started out at 30mg for 2 weeks then went up to 60mg. Made me super tired in the afternoons at first. (take around 7am). Cymbalta slowly brought me out of the 'fog' I was in, it took about 6-8 weeks before I could say I felt 'normal' again; whatever that is, right?

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2014 7:22 AM

Review by Sierra M. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Osteoarthritis: This was great for pain relief for the two months I was taking it. The problems I had far out weighted any benefits. I was suffering from blackouts where I would do things and not remember doing them. The depression, nausea, and headaches were unbearable too. I have been off it for 2 months now and am just starting to feel better. I'll live with the on-average 8 pain.

March 5, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by Clare Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Cymbalta literally saved my life. After going through 6 psychiatrists and countless other antidepressant attempts, this is the one that finally worked. I promise that if you hold on and keep fighting something will work for you and you can heal. Depression is never permanant.

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 7:28 PM

Review by rglanxiety:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Cymbalta was a miracle for me. I was paralyzed by anxiety and couldn't function in daily life and it made me feel better than I've ever felt in my life. I've tried tons of anxiety/depression meds; Xanax, Klonopin, Buspar, Ativan, Zoloft, Celexa, etc. and they all barely worked, just made me catatonic, or had really serious side effects (listlessness, decreased libido, etc.). Cymbalta made me feel like my true self minus anxiety, rather than a dulled version of myself. It actually increased my libido because I wasn't too depressed to have sex for the first time. I also lost weight while taking it, which wasn't desirable for me, but I know it is for some people. The only negatives I experienced were nausea and decreased appetite at first.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2014 8:03 AM

Review by Rem1100 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: While the first 3 weeks were no fun at all I have since seen and felt an improvement in my anxiety and panic attacks. I am very sensitive to medication and other medicines would make me dizzy, upset my stomach and or make it impossible to stay awake. The Cymbalta only made me tired and caused me to lose weight the first three weeks. I am on my fourth month on 30's once a day. I take mine right after dinner as they tend to make me tired, but by morning I am good to go. I have since gained my weight back and I feel better than I have since my anxiety and panic attacks started 7 years ago. In 4 months I have not had any panic attacks and only feel the starting effects of anxiety and then it goes away.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2014 1:40 PM

Review by Tough_it_up:

For Chronic Pain: I've been on Cmybalta for about one month. 1st week on 30mg and 2nd week on 60mg. Only side effect for the first 2 weeks was lucid dreams and insomnia. I have really bad nerve problem in the upper and lower back which causes a lot of stress to my shoulder trapezius and chest muscle. Cymbalta helps me manage the upper back, shoulder, trapezius and chest pain well enough, but nothing for the lower back. I noticed the pain reduction in the 2nd week. It's not a miracle pill but it sure helps.

February 18, 2014 7:04 PM

Review by jef3382:

For Fibromyalgia: I've been on antidepressants for years and suffered from chronic pain that was finally diagnosed as fibromyalgia. I started on Cymbalta about 5 years ago because the pain was becoming more than I could deal with and my doctor had read good reviews about patients reactions with this medicine. I never had any problem with the medicine and haven't noticed any major side effects. It has really cut the pain to a manageable level and kept my spirits up.

February 18, 2014 2:45 PM

Review by dani197701:

For Depression: I started taking Cymbalta and I noticed a difference immediately! I felt more relaxed and happy in general. I take Lamictal for Bi-Polar disorder and after finding that medicine alone not being enough, my dr prescribed Cymbalta. I've been in a pleasant mood with my family, friends and at work. Not stressing out about leaving the house or having a busy schedule and getting anxiety about it. It has also helped with my lower back pain I have been dealing with the last 3yrs. It's only been 2 weeks and the only thing I can say is, I seem to yawn a lot and have less of an appetite. If it messes with my sex drive and lowers it... I'm off it.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2014 1:47 PM

Review by liberty69 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I was previously on Lexapro, but it made me tired and unmotivated. I switched to Cymbalta one week ago and it's already working! I'm only on 30 mg but my doc may want me on a higher dose depending on how I feel after a couple weeks.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2014 1:34 PM

Review by Longboard:

For Depression: I am a healthcare provider who specializes in Emergency Medicine. I had my 1st surgery 2 1/2 years ago lower Colon. 2nd surgery for entrapped Pudendal Nerve, and am still healing. Was started on Cympalta and Lyrica. Stopped Lyrica. Had severe mood swings, couldn't concentrate, severe depression with daily suicidal thoughts. 20 lb weight gain. I have not treated patients for over a year because of my symptoms. After stopping cold turkey against doctors advise I have a clear head, memory has improved and best of all suicidal thoughts are gone. I now feel safe enough to return to work and help save lives without fear of making a mistake or wrong decision that could harm others. The nerve pain is still there, but better than side effects.

February 8, 2014 6:43 PM

Review by huntergirl214 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: The medication helps but if I take too much at once or not at the right time thing dont feel right other wise It has greatly helped my mood

February 8, 2014 1:12 AM

Review by suzisavage2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: Almost 2 months on just 20 mg pain mgmt narcotics for chronic pain, many procedures little help, also CPTSD, GAD, pos. bipolar, depression. MY BACK PAIN AND SCIATIC GONE after 5 days on a low dose. Reserving judgement on the rest. Increase dose to 60 mg. I expect to get a hint in the next week. May have overactive mind/severe difficulty sleeping tho. Higher dose may help. But the pain relief - wouldn't have believed it if someone told me. So have to weigh pain vs insomnia or other side effect I might get. Good luck with this medicine! Insanely expensive and I know from girlfriends experience withdrawal can be bad.

February 6, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by vcnacona (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Fibromyalgia: This medication has worked wonders for me. However, I also have additional medications that work along with this in order to provide me relief. But when I have run out of this medication, I am certainly aware, it is great for my nerve pain and my Depression that accompanies my Fibromyalgia.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: One of the biggest draw backs to this medication is the cost. My insurance pays 80% and I end up paying 35/ month. I have had some improvements to my pain and sleep and while I am thankful for any gains the lack of a generic makes for a barrier. I am not seeing the improvements I would have liked for the cost. & Oh and a caution it interacts with a lot of other medications used to treat fibromyalgia so consult your pharmacist before taking. I regularly end up skirting the fine line of seratonin syndrome with the cocktail I am taking for my fibromyalgia with no depression.

January 22, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by SAD James:

For Depression: Took this for seasonal depression and after a couple days my mood was a lot better. After a couple of days I actually felt what I thought was euphoria until it leveled out to normal.

January 20, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by klassiebutterfly45 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: Did not help.

January 11, 2014 9:33 AM

Review by RobinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Increases blood sugars. x 2 higher than when not taking it.

January 2, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by Steph7145:

For Depression: I am extremely sensitive to medications and any chemical. I get headaches from the chlorine in tap water. I was afraid to take even the lowest dose of Cymbalta, but I swear I felt happier, more talkative, and much less obsessive and less negative within the first day of taking it. By the third day I noticed that I got a little tired about 1-2 hours after taking it, but I was still pleasant to be around and nice to others. I think this is also helping with some pain I've had from a shoulder injury a while back, so that's good too. My mother also takes this for fibromyalgia and she loves it. Good luck!

December 24, 2013 7:47 PM

Review by N-git:

For Depression: Tried it with the highest hopes for depression but it was awful. I am also on Ritalin for ADHD. I thought things were improving after the initial fist few weeks but pretty much in bed for a week whenever my dose was increased. So 30mg then 60mg then 90mg. I was quite suicidal at times and for the first time in a year I stayed home instead of going to work because I couldn't face people. I hid in my cocoon and fought bitterly with my partner while my parenting skills for our two year old daughter became more lax.

December 5, 2013 5:22 AM

Review by OCD/Anxiety/Depression (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Cymbalta worked somewhat on my obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression better than other medicines. However, I felt like I couldn't do much. I had zero energy even though I took my dose (60mgs) at night. It became too tiring to even make myself something to eat. I did not want to go anywhere or do anything because I didn't have the energy. At higher doses (90 mgs), I had stomach upset and pains if I did not take my dose with food. I would also have diarrhea/loose stools at the higher dose. Sexual side effects were decreased interest and desire in sex. Could be attributed to just not having the energy to enjoy it. It did help with my OCD and lowered my anxiety but did not help my depression.

December 2, 2013 8:25 PM

Review by MaidenDarkness:

For Fibromyalgia: Took Cymbalta for close to a year for Fibro symptoms. For the first couple months it seemed to be helping, and then it stopped. I had worsening sleep difficulty, violent mood swings, and a variety of other side effects. Even with all the Fibro symptoms, I feel better off the med than I ever felt on it. It was also expensive.

November 13, 2013 10:02 PM

Review by D.A.P. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: I found Cymbalta to be a miracle for me. Within a week of taking it most of my aches and pains disappeared and even my massage therapist stated she noticed a big difference. The problem was the side effects of sexual dysfunction and dry mouth. I added Wellbutrin and love that medication as it greatly improved my mood, but still did not help with the sexual dysfunction. I am now on Lamotrigine and Wellbutrin but the pains in my joints worsened unbelievably, intolerable really. I think I will be dropping the Lamotrigine and going back to the Cymbalta, and just put up with the side effects.

November 11, 2013 8:08 PM

Review by JMsr:

For Depression: I was on cymbalta 60mg for 18 months. I've been on many different antidepressants throughout the years. My issue is not when you take it but when you go off. Please do not take this medicine. I've gone through hell the last 12 days getting this drug out of my system. Google cymbalta withdrawal or cymbalta discontinuation syndrome to learn more.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 2:48 AM

Review by Anon5002:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After having done fine w/alprazolam and citalopram for years, and wanting to slightly up my alprazolam for my GAD, Doc suggested I try cymbalta. I had a *horrible* experience with this drug (have never before experienced such bad side effects). I can't recall the dosage, but it was a sample, so I don't believe it was anything too high. First day I took it, I felt absolutely wiped out, like all the energy had been sucked from my body. I could barely make it to the bed to lay down. A few hours later the muscles in my jaw began spasm-ing involuntarily, I could feel them tightening and clamping my teeth together, then slightly relaxing. I didn't take the next pill, and it took a day for side effects to go away. I'll never take it again.

October 29, 2013 7:04 PM

Review by rustyspur (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: My rheumatologist had me on a very high dosage, so much that I had to pay for two seperate scripts at the pharmacy. I guess so many people do have a positive response to this med, my doctor thought increasing the med mg would result in symptom improvement, however that wasn't the case. I hated (that's a strong word for me) Cymbalta. I was told I acted like another person while on it and not in a good way. Even though I strictly followed my pharmacist and doctors directions when tapering off if this med, I still had severe withdrawal during and after reducing the mg. I even called the doctor and pharmacy because I was so concerned; I all but went to the emergency room in the beginning stages since I had never had withdrawal symptoms before.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2013 2:15 PM