User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 28 reviews 6 medications

6.2
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 631 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by Longboard:

For Depression: I am a healthcare provider who specializes in Emergency Medicine. I had my 1st surgery 2 1/2 years ago lower Colon. 2nd surgery for entrapped Pudendal Nerve, and am still healing. Was started on Cympalta and Lyrica. Stopped Lyrica. Had severe mood swings, couldn't concentrate, severe depression with daily suicidal thoughts. 20 lb weight gain. I have not treated patients for over a year because of my symptoms. After stopping cold turkey against doctors advise I have a clear head, memory has improved and best of all suicidal thoughts are gone. I now feel safe enough to return to work and help save lives without fear of making a mistake or wrong decision that could harm others. The nerve pain is still there, but better than side effects.

February 8, 2014 6:43 PM

Review by huntergirl214 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: The medication helps but if I take too much at once or not at the right time thing dont feel right other wise It has greatly helped my mood

February 8, 2014 1:12 AM

Review by suzisavage2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: Almost 2 months on just 20 mg pain mgmt narcotics for chronic pain, many procedures little help, also CPTSD, GAD, pos. bipolar, depression. MY BACK PAIN AND SCIATIC GONE after 5 days on a low dose. Reserving judgement on the rest. Increase dose to 60 mg. I expect to get a hint in the next week. May have overactive mind/severe difficulty sleeping tho. Higher dose may help. But the pain relief - wouldn't have believed it if someone told me. So have to weigh pain vs insomnia or other side effect I might get. Good luck with this medicine! Insanely expensive and I know from girlfriends experience withdrawal can be bad.

February 6, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by vcnacona (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Fibromyalgia: This medication has worked wonders for me. However, I also have additional medications that work along with this in order to provide me relief. But when I have run out of this medication, I am certainly aware, it is great for my nerve pain and my Depression that accompanies my Fibromyalgia.

January 25, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: One of the biggest draw backs to this medication is the cost. My insurance pays 80% and I end up paying 35/ month. I have had some improvements to my pain and sleep and while I am thankful for any gains the lack of a generic makes for a barrier. I am not seeing the improvements I would have liked for the cost. & Oh and a caution it interacts with a lot of other medications used to treat fibromyalgia so consult your pharmacist before taking. I regularly end up skirting the fine line of seratonin syndrome with the cocktail I am taking for my fibromyalgia with no depression.

January 22, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by SAD James:

For Depression: Took this for seasonal depression and after a couple days my mood was a lot better. After a couple of days I actually felt what I thought was euphoria until it leveled out to normal.

January 20, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by klassiebutterfly45 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: Did not help.

January 11, 2014 9:33 AM

Review by RobinSS (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Increases blood sugars. x 2 higher than when not taking it.

January 2, 2014 9:05 AM

Review by Steph7145:

For Depression: I am extremely sensitive to medications and any chemical. I get headaches from the chlorine in tap water. I was afraid to take even the lowest dose of Cymbalta, but I swear I felt happier, more talkative, and much less obsessive and less negative within the first day of taking it. By the third day I noticed that I got a little tired about 1-2 hours after taking it, but I was still pleasant to be around and nice to others. I think this is also helping with some pain I've had from a shoulder injury a while back, so that's good too. My mother also takes this for fibromyalgia and she loves it. Good luck!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2013 7:47 PM

Review by N-git:

For Depression: Tried it with the highest hopes for depression but it was awful. I am also on Ritalin for ADHD. I thought things were improving after the initial fist few weeks but pretty much in bed for a week whenever my dose was increased. So 30mg then 60mg then 90mg. I was quite suicidal at times and for the first time in a year I stayed home instead of going to work because I couldn't face people. I hid in my cocoon and fought bitterly with my partner while my parenting skills for our two year old daughter became more lax.

December 5, 2013 5:22 AM

Review by OCD/Anxiety/Depression (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: Cymbalta worked somewhat on my obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression better than other medicines. However, I felt like I couldn't do much. I had zero energy even though I took my dose (60mgs) at night. It became too tiring to even make myself something to eat. I did not want to go anywhere or do anything because I didn't have the energy. At higher doses (90 mgs), I had stomach upset and pains if I did not take my dose with food. I would also have diarrhea/loose stools at the higher dose. Sexual side effects were decreased interest and desire in sex. Could be attributed to just not having the energy to enjoy it. It did help with my OCD and lowered my anxiety but did not help my depression.

December 2, 2013 8:25 PM

Review by MaidenDarkness:

For Fibromyalgia: Took Cymbalta for close to a year for Fibro symptoms. For the first couple months it seemed to be helping, and then it stopped. I had worsening sleep difficulty, violent mood swings, and a variety of other side effects. Even with all the Fibro symptoms, I feel better off the med than I ever felt on it. It was also expensive.

November 13, 2013 10:02 PM

Review by D.A.P. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: I found Cymbalta to be a miracle for me. Within a week of taking it most of my aches and pains disappeared and even my massage therapist stated she noticed a big difference. The problem was the side effects of sexual dysfunction and dry mouth. I added Wellbutrin and love that medication as it greatly improved my mood, but still did not help with the sexual dysfunction. I am now on Lamotrigine and Wellbutrin but the pains in my joints worsened unbelievably, intolerable really. I think I will be dropping the Lamotrigine and going back to the Cymbalta, and just put up with the side effects.

November 11, 2013 8:08 PM

Review by JMsr:

For Depression: I was on cymbalta 60mg for 18 months. I've been on many different antidepressants throughout the years. My issue is not when you take it but when you go off. Please do not take this medicine. I've gone through hell the last 12 days getting this drug out of my system. Google cymbalta withdrawal or cymbalta discontinuation syndrome to learn more.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 2:48 AM

Review by Anon5002:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After having done fine w/alprazolam and citalopram for years, and wanting to slightly up my alprazolam for my GAD, Doc suggested I try cymbalta. I had a *horrible* experience with this drug (have never before experienced such bad side effects). I can't recall the dosage, but it was a sample, so I don't believe it was anything too high. First day I took it, I felt absolutely wiped out, like all the energy had been sucked from my body. I could barely make it to the bed to lay down. A few hours later the muscles in my jaw began spasm-ing involuntarily, I could feel them tightening and clamping my teeth together, then slightly relaxing. I didn't take the next pill, and it took a day for side effects to go away. I'll never take it again.

October 29, 2013 7:04 PM

Review by rustyspur (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: My rheumatologist had me on a very high dosage, so much that I had to pay for two seperate scripts at the pharmacy. I guess so many people do have a positive response to this med, my doctor thought increasing the med mg would result in symptom improvement, however that wasn't the case. I hated (that's a strong word for me) Cymbalta. I was told I acted like another person while on it and not in a good way. Even though I strictly followed my pharmacist and doctors directions when tapering off if this med, I still had severe withdrawal during and after reducing the mg. I even called the doctor and pharmacy because I was so concerned; I all but went to the emergency room in the beginning stages since I had never had withdrawal symptoms before.

October 28, 2013 2:15 PM

Review by richirfirefly (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Changed from effexor to Cymbalta for secondary reasons other than its intended use and it works wonders.

October 27, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by smonroe:

For Depression: Taking it for both fibromyalgia and major depressive disorder. Works great for me!! I no longer have insurance so I get it thru the drug company.

October 27, 2013 1:12 AM

Review by Aussie mumma:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Cymbalta for 7months and it has changed my life. I have Ocd, GAD and severe anxiety over health and I havent felt like myself in 4 years until cymbalta. I do get night sweats BADDDDD but its something I have got used too. I take 60mg a day and I never want to get off it. I am a 26 yr old healthy mum and anxiety now doesnt rule my life... I do! :-)

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2013 6:45 PM

Review by Willy G:

For Depression: I have been taking different medicines for depression for the last 20 years. I have tried almost everything and Wellbutrin is the only thing that has even helped me. I have noticed only a very minor improvement but it is better than no improvement. I was advised to take Cymbalta with it. Even with my insurance, it still costs me $50 a month! I tried it for 3 months with no noticeable change. I can't afford to waste money on something that may or may not work. I figured for that much money, this drug should be very good. At least the Wellbutrin only costs me $10 a month and I do get some noticeable help from it.

October 21, 2013 2:17 AM

Review by the best yet:

For Fibromyalgia: During my mid 40's, I began experiencing excruciating neck pain. I had cervical fusion for a ruptured cervical disk. After the surgery, I have had extreme chronic fatigue, bone pain, overall body pain, and paralysis of one vocal cord. I tried numerous pain medications which had absolutely no effect on my pain. Ultimately, the combination of medications that helped were a low dosage of methadone, Prozac, and Provigil (for narcolepsy). Recently my doctor changed by Prozac to Cymbalta. My pain is now almost gone! (I am still taking methadone, but maybe it will no longer be necessary. (I changed to Nuvigil for extreme daytime sleepiness.) No side effects from Cymbalta except for slight nausea during the first week of use.

October 20, 2013 1:15 PM

Review by emgem (taken for less than 1 month):

For Chronic Pain: Felt only side effects. Extremely tired, erectile dysfunction, dry mouth, headache, dizziness, cold sweats.

October 15, 2013 6:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I don't feel like this made too much of a difference and was prescribed to replace Zoloft which I believe was better but made me gain a lot of weight. Getting off of Cymbalta was very hard, although I followed my doctors instructions and decreased very gradually, by the end I had to start taking motion sickness pills due to the dizziness and nausea I experienced from the withdrawals. I also experienced headaches and felt like my eyes would cross every time I took a step. Getting onto it was super easy, I went from 60mg-120mg pretty quickly, and I lowered it from 120-90-60-30 over the course of about 2 months and still dealt with these withdrawal effects.

October 8, 2013 12:46 AM

Review by amesville:

For Anxiety: Cymbalta saved my sanity. I was under incredible work pressure and stress for three solid months (new job covering for one coworker on maternity leave another coworker having a sudden heart attack and Crohn's flare up. Me running the office for three months, even though I'd just been hired). I had a doctor's appointment and broke down on the table. He prescribed Celexa first, which gave me severe panic attacks. Then he switched me to Cymbalta, and I was back to normal within days. The downside: It is extremely hard to stop taking it. I was intended to take it only for the short term, until things calmed down at work. Two years later, I'm still on it because going off was WEIRD. Numbness, tingling, weird sensory inputs, distraction.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by Little 'ole me:

For Anxiety: I have been on Cymbalta for almost 5 years after a very difficult 4 years of PND/PSTD. Other medications got me to a point of about 50 percent improvement. This was far from ideal/adequate. Cymbalta worked for me like no other antidepressant. My anxiety reduced to the point where I can function at a pretty high level. I still have bouts of anxiety and occasional dark moods but they pass and even now are fewer and further between. I have tried to come off of it a few times but at 30mg the cogs begin to turn faster and I can feel my anxiety levels significantly increasing. I am concerned that my emotions are a bit blunted and like someone else said, I cannot cry, which I miss. I used to like a good, therapeutic cry. I also have no sex drive.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2013 6:07 AM