User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 36 reviews 6 medications

Chronic Pain 42 reviews 105 medications

6.2
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 722 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Depression "Amazing! Best depression & anxiety medication I have been on & I have tried many. Horrible initial side effects but after 2 weeks subsided. Without a doubt completely worth it. Anxiety & depression dramatically diminished, libido back with a vengeance :) HIGHLY recommended from a person with a long history of acute anxiety & depression which was made worse by not being able to find a suitable medication until now. Best 6 months ever."

NoLongerDown April 25, 2015

For Back Pain "I was prescribed Cymbalta for sciatic nerve pain in my lower back. I had severe pain down my left leg, surges of heat in my left foot and numbness down the leftside of my lower body. I was in physical therapy, which helped, but I couldn't make it through an 8 hour workday without leaving in pain. My neurologist prescribed Cymbalta and said that it might also help with my bouts of depression and anxiety. I started on 30mg and upped to 60mg to increase the effect. I've never been happier and now I can live a normal life. I will get some sciatic nerve pain at night still. I do get terrible night sweats. I also get "brain zaps" occasionally (search the web for that one). I'm concerned about getting off the drug as I've read horror stories."

Pjlaura (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Helps with depression but my doc has had to increase my dose to keep up with my depression. I guess I get used to the drug & need more. Huge weight gain -- 18 pounds over 2 months after the last increase to 120 mg. but I guess I'd rather be plump than crying depressed forever. Zero libido but that might be my age (65). I hope I can decrease the dosage as I learn to cope with specific life events largely related to my Dad's death and my mother in a nursing home (nightmare). No help with anxiety & doc prescribed Xanax for that. No difference in back pain. In summary: helps depression, but I gained weight & lost interest in sex & other things. Does not help pain and does nothing for my anxiety."

Dscot April 20, 2015

For Anxiety "I was prescribed Cymbalta for anxiety, it has had a major positive impact. I was a competitive distance runner for about 25 years and sprained both ankles and wore out my knees. I was so achy in my joints all weekend and realized I did not take my medicine Saturday or Sunday because I put my pill case away when the cleaning lady came--HA HA. It helps anxiety and joint pain. I am very pleased with the results."

Miss Ninja April 20, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My personal journey with Cymbalta so far is a positive one. Severe anxiety/depression has been present in my life for approximately four years and I've found that Cymbalta has immensely suppressed my anxious symptoms. Through my experience, Cymbalta took on its full effect about 3 weeks in. I am beginning to enjoy life again! I highly recommend this medication to others, especially if immense anxiety is a part of your life. I am most impressed with this medications ability to deplete anxiety! Good Luck! I hope the best for anyone struggling with these miserable conditions."

ceejustine (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

For Depression "I would have rated Cymbalta a 10 if not for lowered libido & difficulty going off of it (not uncommon for most all AD's). I took for 6 years after an episode of anxiety & depression. I would still be taking it but it effect was dropping off after about 6 years so I switched meds (wish I hadn't have messed with switching but that's another story). The only side effect I noticed consistently over 6 years was decreased libido. I'm sure there were initial start up effects but I was such a nervous wreck that I either didn't notice or don't remember. It was a great med for me & I wish it still worked."

lesweet1971 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

For Anxiety "I have GAD, tried celexa, worked for a while, mental fog. I then tried Lexapro which worked but I decided to try Cymbalta for its chronic low back pain effectiveness. I have a bulged disc, arthritis from homecare for many years. I will not even consider Narcotics for pain... Cymbalta has been a life saver, I too have dry mouth night sweats, increased weight of 10lbs. But I feel calmer, I started off on 30 mg for 2 wks the increased the dose per my HCP. I can tell when I don't take it. Chronic low back pain, dizziness as well and anxiety symptoms return... I am a nurse and I hate taking medicine but this is one medicine I don't mind taking. The benefits out weigh the everything else."

Caligirl71 April 10, 2015

For Depression "Works really well with little or no side effects."

StormyRed48 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I fill better."

Diniken April 7, 2015

For Depression "I have been on SSRI since the age of 14 now I can tell you I am 42 now and have lived half my life in a fog. Feeling tierd, not interested in anything just wanting to sleep. I changed from lexapro to cymbalta a week ago and wow. I have energy I'm not like dragging myself around all day. I feel motivated - the only down fall has been hot flashes. I read cymbalta can cause that but I will deal with it as I feel as great. I have more than one emotion, I would say definately try it everyone is going to respond differently. Have had some issues waking up alot at night. But that's about it. I have to pay 200 dollars a month for this medicine but it is worth it. Good luck to you"

Tayaloxely April 6, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I lost my 16 year old daughter in a tragic car accident four months ago. They first had me on lexapro, then remeron, and neither did anything for me, except the remeron did make me suicidial. My Doc told me to try Cymbalta 30 mg. It was a life saver, literally. I was ready to kill myself, I had enough pain and didn't want to feel that daily pain of losing my daughter. My Doc just increased my Cymbalta to 60 mg, I'm very excited about this. I have not noticed it helping the panic or the anxiety, it def has helped my mind and my body constantly from hurting due to depression. This medicine truly saved my life. I'll never be me again, but this medicine has got me back to the closest old me. Thankful for Cymbalta!"

Livys April 6, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Reduced burning significantly"

kathcash (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

For Back Pain "I had left S I joint pain for 8 yrs been to a million drs, tried a million remedies. But my dr put me on Cymbalta. A few days later I ended up in ER with excruciating pain. But when they added a shot of Lorazepam the pain I'd had for years went away. For 9 months, with the combo of Cymbalta 60mg and Lorazapam 2 mg I was completely pain free, but after 9 months the effectiveness has waned. I still take both meds to take the edge off the pain but nothing else really works. Except when I was told I had Fibromyalgia and night sweats and I found out those are caused by LYME DISEASE. Luckily I found a LYME LITERATE DR who is treating me."

Trace Marie March 31, 2015

For Depression "I had been suffering with chronic pain for years. Finally, a friend pointed out to me how depressed I was most of the time. I suppose I have been suffering from some sort of depression most of my life, but just accepted the feelings as normal or just my personality in general. Finally I found a pain specialist who put me on a very effective combination of meds, including Cymbalta. Along with morphine and percocet it has worked wonders for me. I seem to be as good now as I could ever imagine. Bouts of depression are very mild and far between each other. My pain is still there but mild enough to not effect my outlook on life. The only warning I have about taking Cymbalta is to make sure you don't run out. Missing few days is a horror"

Beware of Gods (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Reduced pain within days. Drowsiness and dry mouth but subsided after a couple of weeks. Felt brand new. After just four days the diarrhoea started, this just got worse and worse, so I was feeling fantastic in my mind and body, but could not be more than a few feet away from a toilet! Stopped taking,now in pain again!"

tinatiger March 20, 2015

For Depression "Been very helpful"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 16, 2015

For Depression "Have taken this medicine for over 3 years, I was previously on Pristiq. To start with at 60mg this medication worked for me pretty well for a year or so. Once I became pregnant they reduced my dose ( just to be safe) bad idea, I had a massive panic attack and feel very hopeless. They upped my dose to 60mg again which didn't seem so help so after having my boy they increased to 120mg which worked for about 3 weeks then it was as if I was taking nothing. Figure my body has just become immune. Also bad withdrawal symptoms when you miss a dose. Very dizzy, nauseous, sleepy not a nice experience unfortunately. But please remember this is just my experience with this medication not yours it could be completely different.."

Dannab23 March 15, 2015

For Depression "My gosh...I can't say enough about this medication. I suffered through a series of traumatic events one three years ago, and felt that my dulled emotions were simply situational. Eventually, it got to the point where I couldn't maintain a clean house, missed deadlines, isolated myself from friends and others, and would pray that I wouldn't wake up some mornings. This is the first antidepressant I've tried, 30mg dose. Aside from slight appetite suppression, I've experienced no side effects. I've been on it almost a week, and I notice I awaken without that heavy depressive weight on my chest. The feelings of failure, the crying jags, and the crippling anxiety are diminishing already."

DifferentPlight (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy "Excellent results with Cymbalta on 30mg once each night. Burning pain reduced some 80%. Does generate dreams, but not uncomfortable dreams. This is the first medicine that helped. Side effects too great with Neurontin; felt little to no effect with Lyrica."

Potomac March 10, 2015

For Depression "Cymbalta helped me so much. I was suffered severe depression after a very rough time in my life. I began taking 30mg, which worked for a few months, but my anxiety and depression were beginning to get worse. My doctor raised me to 60mg, and at first it made me very nauseous, dizzy, and just sick for a few days, but after that, I felt like a new person. I had energy, I was happy, and once again back to myself, the girl I was before depression consumed me. I was on Cymbalta for 3 years, until I got pregnant and had to immediately quit. The withdrawals were terrible, considering you're usually weaned off of this medication. Overall, Cymbalta is a wonderful medication for depression."

Sam J March 9, 2015

For Depression "Well, ive been taking antidepressants every since i was 17 years old, im 37 today. I wont lie to you. I abuse cymbalta by skipping a few days and restarting it again. I get very grumpy on the inbetween days when i dont take it. But when i finally do, whoa mama!!! All the sudden i believe in god, and hes touching me with all his love. Cymbalta made me not fear the dentist either. I went in there and had 28 of my teeth removed. I had bad teeth from not brushing as a kid. Not doing drugs. The only drugs i do are antidepressants. So yeah. Cymbalta changed my life. Good drug. Highly recommend"

dase (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2015

For Osteoarthritis "I suffer with arthritis in hands, knees, elbows, and hips. In 2013 I underwent a total left hip replacement and worked hard in rehab to become active again. However, as time progresses, my joints continue to 'talk' to me loudly. In the mornings, I look like a crone hobbling around until from moving they begin to become fluid. Ridiculous! My doctor put me on Cymbalta back in December of 2014. Wow. What a difference. I did have some struggles on learning when to take it without suffering with nausea, dizziness, etc. For me, morning time seems to be the ticket. Mid day or evening caused stomach and head issues. I am on a lower dose compared to what I have read, but I give this a A+. Within 15 minutes of taking my dose, I am fine."

Hipppie chic March 5, 2015

For Depression "I took this medicine for about 5 years in addition to Lithium for bipolar 2. It was good for depression and anxiety, but I found I was tired a lot, and if I got a bad nights sleep (which was often) my mood could drop or I could become slightly hypomanic."

bry188uk (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2015

For Chronic Pain "This works. Gained a lot of weight. Made me sleepy. I took it at night still couldn't wake up In the morning. Had mouth sores. Coming off it was miserable to say the least."

goodme56377 March 4, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Didn't help with anxiety at all but did help some with depression. Take 60mg"

Robertjc (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015