User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 26 reviews 6 medications

6.2
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 619 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by Shanice:

For Depression: I have taken Cymbalta 60mg for 30 days after being on Zoloft with Wellbutrin for almost a year. I'm feeling better every day. I have been able to do things that I have been unable to do for years such as cooking. Depression is lifted this medication is God send!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2013 6:46 PM

Review by Jallen2:

For Depression: I have only been on this for 2 weeks but I can seriously notice a difference. I am 21 and for about 6 years (after a traumatic event) I have been suffering from "severe depression". I have always had pain and always been to tired to do anything but lay in bed and cry! I can now say I am happy! Finally happy, I can't remember a time I was ever like this. I am motivated, active, and enjoying life. It works quick. I do however have mild headaches everyday and multiple nightmares every night. I am told these will subside. It's pricey but I really think its worth it! Good luck to everyone.

June 20, 2013 11:36 PM

Review by Dallas Nadja (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: It works well for depression. Even stopped nerve pain that I didn't know I had since I had lived with it all my life. I just thought it was normal to have pins and needle feeling in my nerve endings. Lifted the depression. Was okay on anxiety, but still had to take Valium for true panic attacks. Warning though - getting off this medication can give hard withdrawals. You have to slowly wean yourself off. If not, you will get brain freezes or shivers which are freaky and scary. Also, extremely irritable coming off of it.

June 17, 2013 9:00 PM

Review by Tiger6933 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: I have been taking Cymbalta for 15 months now. First 30mg and then six months later up it to 60mgs/day. It was prescribed to me for clinical depression. It works for the depression and I also noticed it has worked very well for anxiety also. My MD and I have discussed that I probably have had this anxiety disorder for some time and curtailed with the depression, Cymbalta has done well for both. Side effects are weight gain (5-10 lbs), and bad withdrawal effects if you miss a day or two - headaches. Otherwise, the medication has worked very well and I feel like I can live my life again.

June 10, 2013 2:29 PM

Review by Baloo789:

For Chronic Pain: After suffering in a very serious way from chronic neck and back pain for about 5 years, I was giving up. I had no major injury, but small "normal range" disc ruptures protruding in my C5 and C7 with other old back injuries. Fibromyalgia/Neuralgia. I've gone through multiple specialists, MRIs, physical therapists, chiropractors, and acupuncturists. Some relief here and there, mostly with acupuncture and specific stretching. Pain was horrible. Finally after persistent research, I found what truly works for me: Cymbalta (normal dose) with daily SAM-E and Malic Acid supplements. It took about 2 months to fully work, but now I'm virtually PAIN FREE. Cannot thank God enough for this.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2013 5:37 PM

Review by Batgirl516 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: I've been taking 120mg of Cymbalta for 6 months now & have found the benefits to be: decreased anxiety; increased social confidence; and 10kg (22.2 pounds) weight loss!! The negatives have been: irregular insomnia; slightly manic personality when really comfortable in my social surroundings; dry mouth; mild occasional nausea & that's about it. I'm under the watchful eye of a great Psychiatrist & think Cymbalta is much better than Prozac & Zoloft which I've been on for 5 years prior (at alternate times). Also, I strongly recommend reducing your alcohol intake - Cymbalta increases side effects & makes you feel embarrassingly drunk & tired much earlier than others. Good luck.

June 7, 2013 9:53 AM

Review by CymbaltaWorks:

For Depression: Hi everyone. As long as I can remember I suffered from some sort of anxieties. When I was about 16 my anxiety grew into full blown panic attacks. Since then it just got worse. Finally I went to psychiatrist who put me on Cymbalta. I never felt better than I do now. My anxiety and depression gone and I feel that I have to learn how to live without it.

June 6, 2013 5:09 PM

Review by Dahliabulb:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking Cymbalta for 3 days. I have had nausea and drop in appetite. I experienced sleeplessness on my 3rd night and hot flashes. I have found that taking it in the morning is better for me. This is my second round of taking Cymbalta.

June 3, 2013 7:03 AM

Review by NinaEnid (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have been on Cymbalta for about 4 months now, and finally can say that it is worth going through some of the beginning side effects. We must be careful though, to listen to our bodies first. Side effects can be bothersome but should not be unbearable, so if this is your case with Cymbalta or any other medication, you must consult your physician. When I first started Cymbalta, (which I did twice before finally staying on it) I could not sleep, had headaches, and could not even drink a cup of coffee without feeling as if I was hyper. Eventually, things got better and I was able to stop the additional medication that was prescribed to help me sleep. Switching Cymbalta to bedtime helped tremendously! No pain and/or anxiety.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2013 7:28 PM

Review by bretto55 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Back Pain: Good for my mood swings. Evens me out mentally. Anxiety decrease. Decrease of libido 90%

May 18, 2013 6:01 AM

Review by cymbaltauser (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: I take Cymbalta for both dysthymia and fibromyalgia. I am a female in my mid-40's. Overall, I am at least 70% better than before taking Cymbalta, though not pain-free. I find that I get maximum benefit when I take 120 mg (two 60 mg. capsules at same time) of Cymbalta daily, combined with enough sleep and daily exercise (e.g. at least 20 mins. brisk walking). Also, I need to avoid/minimize physical and psychological stressors (including unpleasant people).

May 15, 2013 2:00 PM

Review by Cherry400000000000 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: My dr finally decided to try a different medication after I started telling him that I think I am bipolar, he put me on Cymbalta. It is good. A lot better then Prozac which I didn't feel any difference. I am taking 30 mg right now, think I could use an increase. Glad to hear all the good reviews about it! I think it is something I would like to stick too.

May 12, 2013 5:45 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on Cymbalta over 2 years and it has worked great for my anxiety and Irritable bowel syndrome. I sometimes add Vistaril at stressful times. I tried Topamax and Lexapro and neither gave me the relief I needed. I wish I would have had Cynbalta 30 years ago.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2013 11:02 PM

Review by will to Will (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Under the supervision of a psychiatrist I ran the gambit of SSRIs from Prozac to Zoloft with only mild improvements. Cymbalta proved at 120mgs to be wonderful. My insurance was a buzzkill by limiting me to 60mgs but we tried Celexa as an adjunct with similar but not total benefit. Taken with breakfast the change within an hour is dramatic, and missing a dose or two is traumatic. My only anxiety now is God forbid I am ever to go without my Cymbalta. It helped me through 10 chemo sessions, especially with the resulting neuropathy. Perhaps it will fall to a tier 1 med and I can resume 120mgs... There is hope.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2013 1:08 AM

Review by AirieDarie:

For Depression: Saved my life, I'm very thankful.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2013 1:37 PM

Review by Dre26:

For Depression: Cymbalta is so far the only medication that has noticeably helped with my depression and anxiety. I had more confidence and less anxiety while taking it. I say "had" because I turned 26 recently and no longer have insurance and Cymbalta is extremely expensive, something like $216 with coupon, so I switched to Lexapro. I will write a review on Lexapro once I get experience it's affects. Cymbalta is the way to go if you can afford it though.

May 8, 2013 2:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I absolutely love this medicine so far the only medicine that has done anything for me. I actually know what happy is now. Working great for depression and anxiety.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by mel:

For Chronic Pain: I have been seeing my doctor for the last 3 years starting from back pain and fibromyalgia. I tried so much medication including 6 epidural injection in my lumbar and sacroiliac joint, nothing seems to work. Finally I was referred to an internal doctor and after reviewing my case she asked me to try Cymbalta. I finally get relief from it, my life is back to normal and I'm very satisfied.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2013 11:13 AM

Review by Marcia64 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I was prescribed Cymbalta for a combination of chronic pain from osteoarthritis and major depressive disorder with melancholia. I started with 30mg for the first two weeks, but had to stop taking my daily 1200 to 1800mg of ibuprofen and also quit drinking. For depression, it was amazing. I felt relief from my despondency within a handful of days, and that has continued through this, my third month. I had my dose increased to 60mg to try and get relief from the chronic pain, but it has not been effective for me in addressing that - thus my rating. For depression, I give it a 10, but for pain (my experience) I have to give it at best, a 3. After consulting with my doctor, he said I could resume taking ibuprofen at a much lower dose.

May 5, 2013 8:23 AM

Review by catlady1:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking Cymbalta for over two years, it worked great in the beginning. I currently take 90mg a day, 60 in the morning and 30 at bedtime. The last few months it does not seem to be working. I have tried several other medications before this one and none of them worked. There are days (most) that I hurt so bad I can't stand to move.

April 27, 2013 10:45 PM

Review by therealme (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: For years, I struggled with anxiety but my understanding and how I was raised was to suck it up and fight through it. Finally, after many sleepless nights, I went to the GP and she advised me to take Cymbalta. I started on 30 mg's but my tolerance to these types of medicines pushed me to take 120mg's for a month or so. After that month I got back to the old me, the one that didn't care what people thought or how I should act in front of people. I would definitely recommend this for anyone with social or general anxiety.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 27, 2013 2:15 AM

Review by Dr Merlyn:

For Depression: My life has been more difficult than most and I experienced an intense emotional life of ecstatic highs and darkest despair. It was wearing, but I enjoyed the drama of it all. GPs often suggested medication, but I considered my depressions to be 'justified', the intensity a means of 'being human' in all its extremities. However, the energy to carry these extremes ebbs, and in a particularly unhappy period my brain shut down. I work with my brain, so finally succumbed & trialled a number of anti-depressants. Didn't like the effects until I took Cymbalta. Finally, a normal emotional range. Two years later I stopped, the only side-effect a half-tone tinnitus, eased by taking half and I'm still fine two years later.

April 25, 2013 7:25 PM

Review by Sars (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Cymbalta changed my life. Initially, for the worst - I was vomiting and felt like I was dying for the first few days. Then gradually, the side effects lessened. The vomiting stopped after 2 days, the foggy head and ill stomach cleared after a week or 2. Then it changed my life for the better - to my shock and my doctor's amazement, the lowest dose (30mg) worked! No need to experience the side effects of moving to a higher dosage (thank goodness!). I was previously unable to socialise and frequently had a fight or flight response that was way over-reactive. Now, although not perfect, it's way more under control. I've used Cymbalta for almost a year. I would definitely recommend Cymbalta!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2013 6:18 PM

Review by crystallee:

For Anxiety: On it for a month, became extremely depressed and had suicidal thoughts.

April 23, 2013 12:25 AM

Review by elaineabc (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Osteoarthritis: I was put on Cymbalta approximately 4 yrs ago for depression due to my spouses terminal illness. I was experiencing lower back pain at the same time and subsequently had surgery 2 yrs ago. During this time I tried to go off the medicine but discovered that I do have severe pain from osteoarthritis. Went back on Cymbalta and have almost complete relief from it. I take 60 mgs. at around 1:00 pm. Morning dosage brought diarrhea quickly and this does not cause that.

April 21, 2013 8:26 PM