User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 25 reviews 6 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 597 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by Sars (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: Cymbalta changed my life. Initially, for the worst - I was vomiting and felt like I was dying for the first few days. Then gradually, the side effects lessened. The vomiting stopped after 2 days, the foggy head and ill stomach cleared after a week or 2. Then it changed my life for the better - to my shock and my doctor's amazement, the lowest dose (30mg) worked! No need to experience the side effects of moving to a higher dosage (thank goodness!). I was previously unable to socialise and frequently had a fight or flight response that was way over-reactive. Now, although not perfect, it's way more under control. I've used Cymbalta for almost a year. I would definitely recommend Cymbalta!

April 23, 2013 6:18 PM
Review by crystallee: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: On it for a month, became extremely depressed and had suicidal thoughts.

April 23, 2013 12:25 AM
Review by elaineabc (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Osteoarthritis: I was put on Cymbalta approximately 4 yrs ago for depression due to my spouses terminal illness. I was experiencing lower back pain at the same time and subsequently had surgery 2 yrs ago. During this time I tried to go off the medicine but discovered that I do have severe pain from osteoarthritis. Went back on Cymbalta and have almost complete relief from it. I take 60 mgs. at around 1:00 pm. Morning dosage brought diarrhea quickly and this does not cause that.

April 21, 2013 8:26 PM
Review by michellemybelle: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Anxiety: I absolutely love Cymbalta; it's a miracle for me. My anxiety, depression, and spinal pain have all been reduced or gone away. I also lost weight and could eat anything I wanted. After 6 months, I switched to Celexa to save money. Big Mistake. I started gaining weight, and it didn't have much effect on anxiety or depression. I switched back to Cymbalta, and am happy again.

April 21, 2013 3:26 PM
Review by Angelica2013 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: My depression/anxiety the past several months has been disabling. Mornings were filled with crippling anxiety/depression and I'd stay in bed to escape being with the emotional pain. I felt overwhelmed all the time and just couldn't get motivated to do anything. Since Cymbalta, I have pep in my step! I have tons of motivation to spends HOURS cleaning a house with years of accumulated hoarding, and to clean my apartment which I couldn't touch in 6 months. I can get things done without the overwhelmed feeling -- bills, job, etc. I'm no longer deeply blue and crying. This is an answer to my prayers! My psych said that my desire to get better, counselling, and making changes is what is needed as part of treatment to succeed. Praise God!

144 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 7, 2013 9:55 PM
Review by Fraydd: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: I started on Cymbalta 30 mg and it improved my mood so my prescriber increased to 60 mg. 60 mg caused increased irritability and negative thinking so I decided to taper off. This caused flu-like symptoms and "the shakes" so started researching Cymbalta withdrawal. Surprisingly, a LOT of people have similar symptoms when coming off Cymbalta. The only way to avoid it is to open the capsules and divide the pellets to take a gradually reduced dose over several weeks. My prescriber suggested returning to 30 mg to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms and I have stayed there for the past 2 months. I am back to experiencing positive effects - I feel like I am coming out of a fog I didn't realize had been surrounding me for years.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2013 7:41 AM
Review by happyhappyhappy (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: After 5 years on Cymbalta, I cannot say enough about its effectiveness. I really can't speak to the claims of pain relief, but as far as depression and anxiety, it's the best I can recommend. The insurance has tried several times to get my Dr to prescribe Celexa, or Effexor, but neither work like Cymbalta. Initially, I was a little spacy, and jittery, but those went away with time. I'd hate to have to pay for it as is. But, overall, I'd rather not take anything than to have to switch.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2013 8:35 PM
Review by Roller22: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Fibromyalgia: Cymbalta has increased my quality of life significantly. I have less pain and I am a happier person. I sleep better at night, most likely due to less pain from fibromyalgia.

March 24, 2013 11:20 AM
Review by Worst Poison Ever: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Back Pain: Never before had serious side effects. Never posted an internet comment. Continued side effects including constant nausea, constipation, erratic blood pressure, balance/dizzy problem poor sleep, erratic heat beat. The first time I was dizzy and kept walking, then I fainted. Subsequent dizzy spells resulted in bed or couch as I couldn't walk for 4 hours. I ceased this medicine after 12 days and yet it took a month to completely recover.

March 23, 2013 7:08 PM
Review by CinNic: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Fibromyalgia: I have taken several depression medicines over the last six years. All with limited results. My entire body started hurting so bad, fatigue, headaches and broken sleep at night. I begged my doctor trying me on Cymbalta because it helped a friend with similar symptoms. My pain was almost gone in a week and completely gone in two. I never realized how bad my pain was until it was gone! I take it at night because I get very sleepy within a few hours. I sleep great and wake up pain free and fully rested. It has helped my depression but not to the extent it has taken away all my pain. I did feel slightly nauseous on and off for a few weeks. My appetite has diminished which has helped me lose 10 pounds.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2013 12:08 AM
Review by Cricket's mom: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Osteoarthritis: After a back injury and subsequent surgery I tried several medicines for the lingering nerve pain in my left leg. Nothing worked without severe side effects until trying Cymbalta. The first couple of weeks the nausea was almost unbearable but I toughed it out hoping for some relief of the aching in my left leg. Pain pills had zero effect on the radiating pain so my doctor prescribed Cymbalta. It did take a couple of weeks to see any relief to my pain. Although the pain is not totally gone it has gone from a 10 down to a 7 so for me this is a great improvement.

March 19, 2013 10:55 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Back Pain: I started taking Cymbalta for chronic low back pain and to my surprise my daily nightmares stopped immediately after the first dose of 40mg. I just started this medicine a month ago and need to get my script filled. I took my last dose 2 days ago. For the last two nights I have had nightmares! My script is expensive, costing $60/month even with insurance. If this medicine continues to prevent these constant nightmares and gives my boyfriend a decent night sleep, myself included, then I will figure out a way to pay this added expense. I am 30 yrs old and have dealt with nightmares since I was a child. They have gotten worse as I get older. I have been to sleep disorder clinics and had plenty of tests. I can only hope this medicine continues to help me.

March 18, 2013 2:58 AM
Review by old nurse: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Osteoarthritis: First two weeks had good relief. It decreased after that.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 16, 2013 1:04 AM
Review by NativeWoman: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I was prescribed Cymbalta after taking Zoloft for a few months. Zoloft was horrible but when my prescription was changed to Cymbalta, my anxiety and everything else seemed to lessen. I was more calm in handling situations and my husband seemed pleased with the change in my attitude. For the first week while on Cymbalta, the experience was horrible. I had all the side effects listed and more but I was determined to stay on it. It only lasted a week then things became more clear. The only thing I FEAR is the withdrawals. I've experienced it accidentally when the medication wasn't available to me.

March 14, 2013 11:42 AM
Review by Gintech (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: I can't take NSAIDS anymore, so tried Cymbalta. Worked great for my pain and my depression. HOWEVER, I had to stop it because of horrible side effects. The worst headaches I have ever had, dizziness, and eventually mood changes. I took it for about 7 months total, the last 2 months was tapering off. My Doctor had a patient end up hospitalized when they rushed the taper.

March 14, 2013 12:19 AM
Review by Mafixit (taken for less than 1 month):

Cymbalta (duloxetine): Prescribed Cymbalta for migraines. Been on 18 days. Started at 20 mg, last 5 days at 40 mg. Past week has been daily diarrhea. I am tired, still have headaches, I am constantly nauseated, have no appetite and my anxiety level has increased. They tell me to hold on, this will pass. It does not feel like it is going to help at all, and my insurance company really gave me a hard time covering this.

March 12, 2013 1:10 PM
Review by billybobyall: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Back Pain: I started with 30mg dosage and was increased to 60mg daily. It was helpful with the constant burning in my feet that is secondary to peripheral neuropathy. My dosage was increased after a couple of months to 60mg twice daily. I didn't last a week! This medication has always given me increased sweating, especially night sweats! My doctor prescribed Hytrin (mostly used for hypertension and benign prostate hyperplasia) to combat the sweating and it seemed to help because the incidents of night sweats decreased. That all changed when my dosage was bumped up. I was having night sweats EVERY night and had a major increase of insomnia. I am getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night (or day because I work at night). I went back to 60mg daily and see my doctor tomorrow.

March 12, 2013 7:59 AM
Review by davinci queen (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: I started taking Cymbalta approx. 4 weeks ago. Its a miracle far as I'm concerned. I have low back pain, fibromyalgia and increasing anxiety disorder. Within 4 days I felt immediate relief from pain all over. I haven't felt this good in years. I am also on Lyrica and am going to see if I can lower my dose or even discontinue it and see if I'm still pain free. My anxiety is starting to lessen now as well. I don't have many side effects, mostly more tired so I will take it at night. Definitely try it. It's worth it!

March 11, 2013 10:12 AM
Review by CandiceL: User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: I LOVE Cymbalta. I'm taking it for anxiety, depression and fibromyalgia pain. It is the best medication I have taken for depression. I have tried numerous other depression and anxiety medications and nothing makes me feel as good as Cymbalta. Do not miss a dose though the withdrawal symptoms are terrible!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2013 10:27 PM
Review by eileenvote (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: I took this for 5 years at 90mg. I eventually had to go off this medication because the side effects were intolerable. I had night terrors every night, severe night sweats, teeth grinding and insomnia. The thing that finally did it for me was the migraines that were caused by my shoulder and neck tension on this medication. In short, it made me feel extremely anxious and stressed out. Also, withdrawal is very tough. I have been off this medicine for 3 weeks and still have severe nausea, anxiety, night sweats and night terrors.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 3, 2013 7:37 AM
Review by Natasha23 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: I didn't mind this medicine. I did experience nausea for the first month as which was confirmed by the side effects of this. One thing I have to say is that I became lactose intolerant while on this and it didn't matter what I ate or drank that contained lactose the symptoms for the lactose intolerance were not good. As soon as I went off the medicine I no longer had lactose intolerance.

February 28, 2013 5:51 PM
Review by Salcea124 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Fibromyalgia: I have been taking Cymbalta for over 3 years. When I started taking it I was working and it was making me sleepy, so doctor said to take it at night; problem solved. During the years I have had 3 surgeries and I have to stop taking it and I had no side effect or withdrawal symptoms. It helps with my fibromyalgia, mild depression, and pain. My insurance co-pay is $35, but during the donut-hole is is very expensive.

February 24, 2013 12:34 PM
Review by NothingElseWorked (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: I've tried them all, this was the only one that lifted me.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2013 1:05 AM
Review by nushie (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Chronic Pain: After taking Effexor for years, my doc switched me to Cymbalta. That was 3 years ago no effect for pain management.

February 17, 2013 12:40 PM
Review by prplhaze (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Cymbalta (duloxetine) for Depression: This little pill caused me to have worsening suicidal thoughts. I was on edge and crying daily. This was only being on it for 3 weeks. I do have to say it did help with fibro pain but made depression unbearable.

February 14, 2013 3:08 PM