User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 29 reviews 6 medications

6.2
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 654 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by angziety (taken for less than 1 month):

For Fibromyalgia: I am on Lyrica 150 mg a day, but it started to lose it's effectiveness after about 5 months. I can't afford to see the doctor or get more Lyrica. I tried Cymbalta for my PMDD and hoped that it might help my pain too. My pain was almost completely gone after about 2 days of use! However, I started getting sores on my tongue, emotional numbness, and had zero libido. I stopped using it after about 7 days, and the pain came back worse than ever (I believe I had been overdoing it those few days). I seriously considered putting up with the side effects just to get some pain relief, but I'm trying bupropion XL first.

September 12, 2013 12:36 AM

Review by Mustangfire (taken for less than 1 month):

For Fibromyalgia: I recently starting taking Cymbalta for my chronic back (several herniated discs), Costocondritis (chest inflamation), and other related pains classified as Fibromyalgia and Chronic lower back pain. The medication works. It has nearly removed my chest pain and lower back pains by 90% and only a few lingering pains still exist and only in spurts. I've only been on the 60mg dosage for a few weeks, so it may get better. As a side effect, my PE is gone. I never told a doc about it and it has been killing me for a decade. I've tried everything else, none helped. I looked online with a search of Cymbalta and PE and there are sources to confirm it works.

September 9, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by lisalevidaisybob:

For Depression: I cried everyday for three months due to uncontrollable pain from rheumatoid arthritis. I was also suffering from severe depression as a result. The first time I took Cymbalta,, 30 mg, I noticed I no longer felt defeated and felt for the first time since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that the pain was at times manageable. It helped give me hope. It's been almost three months since I started Cymbalta and it is still working well. I'm super thankful my doctor recommended it.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2013 6:03 AM

Review by audio51 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: No symptom relief at all, but did have sexual side effects

September 5, 2013 4:21 PM

Review by mh2256:

For Fibromyalgia: I was on 60mg of Cymbalta for a year or more. Did not want to be on antidepressants all my life so I weaned off it 2 months ago. My fibromyalgia pains have returned with a vengeance, more than before. I am going back to Cymbalta as I want to have some quality of life. I feel debilitated at the moment. Have been taking this tablet in the morning but after reading the reviews on this forum I will change to night.

September 3, 2013 12:58 AM

Review by JanetM416 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I am on 30mg twice daily for depression and fibromyalgia. I have been extremely fatigued! I am also having episodes of doing things and not remembering and also passed out on the floor, but have no recollection of anything. All I want to do is sleep and if not for having a toddler at home and three children that I have to get off to school and one to work, I would probably just stay in bed sleeping all day and night. I'm hoping that this side effect wears off soon because otherwise they are helping a lot with my mood and depression. I was on Wellbutrin and it wasn't working, I had extreme episodes of crying and anger issues.

August 28, 2013 5:50 AM

Review by Jen1974 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Fibromyalgia: It has worked very well for me. I have insurance but I have to pay $202 a month for 60mg.

August 24, 2013 3:23 PM

Review by speedfire:

For Anxiety: I was started on Cymbalta 30mg about 6 months ago. I was increasingly anxious and irritable and quick to start arguments. My presenting complaint was however tinnitus due to jaw clenching! Cymbalta almost immediately calmed me down. I feel less guilt feelings about everything. I can walk away from arguments unless really pushed - and then just watch out! My spouse thinks I am better for it. However I do feel rather fatigued and now find it difficult to exercise but once I start I have no problem. I can focus and work with a less antagonistic attitudes. Sleep is better. Sex is better. No weight problem. I do drink very moderately with no problem. Missing doses is a major problem: headaches, dizziness, nightmares.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2013 1:33 PM

Review by Good but Pricey (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I started on 30mg of Cymbalta for a week then up to 60mg. I've taken it for about 2 years and noticed it really helped. When I got pregnant, my doctor told me to wean off it by taking it every other day. That was hell! He should have prescribed me a lower dosage. The price of it doubled so I no longer take it. I weaned off it this time by going from 60mg to 30mg then to 20mg. What a difference. That was manageable. Another down side is when I was on 60mg, if I would workout in the evenings, I would be wide awake at 3am! That was not the case when I was taking 30mg.

August 20, 2013 1:47 PM

Review by electron_doc:

For Fibromyalgia: When Cymbalta became available I was trying it for dysthymia, but found my fibromyalgia and neuropathy became much better. I think it's worth trying, it worked wonders for me and I started taking it with the attitude that it wasn't going to work.

August 15, 2013 12:14 AM

Review by marenj (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Fibromyalgia: Cymbalta has helped me so much with horrible fibromyalgia pain. It has also helped a great deal with anxiety. However, I no longer believe I can handle the side effects. I have gained over 20 pounds in less than 4 months, despite exercise and calorie restriction. I have severe constipation, very odd dreams, and hot flashes. It is such a shame, because my fibromyalgia is so much better with Cymbalta.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2013 2:36 AM

Review by Ash239487 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I suffer from mild depression and back pain associated with scoliosis. I hoped Cymbalta could help. It did not help me. Initially (first few days), it was positive mentally, despite side effects: headache, nausea, then bad anxiety. As I took it more, I just started to feel not like myself, lethargic and weak. I almost felt too calm and didn't care. I can see how this might be helpful to those that are severely depressed. I am not. I'm sharing my experience because if you only suffer from minor blues, I would not recommend a strong anti-depressant. I told my doctor it was minor, yet he prescribed me 60 mg immediately. I gave it a month and felt worse each day.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2013 12:47 PM

Review by woodleaf:

For Depression: Been on most antidepressants and ended up with mirtazapine, which although very good does make you really fat. Cut dose right down but then the old feeling of depression, anxiety, suicidal feelings came back. My psych doc. put me on Cymbalta (after a roundabout of others that I couldn't cope with) and Cymbalta works. 30mg is lovely but 60mg way to strong for me. Blurred vision, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, etc., etc. So went back to 30mg and now feel great, I do take half a mirtazapine at night to help me sleep and don't know if its the combination or just the Cymbalta (as half a mirtazapine is a very tiny dose) working. It has taken about 3 months for it to fully kick in but now feel hopefully optimistic and more at ease about life.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 2:32 PM

Review by debbie2929:

For Fibromyalgia: I was on Cymbalta for 2 years and found it to be a wonderful relief of pain and anxiety. The problem I had with it was "brain zaps" and dizziness if I made any sudden movement with my head. I weaned myself off of it slowly and am now back to suffering with pain and anxiety but I do not wish to take Cymbalta again due to the strange brain effect it has. Getting off of it was extremely difficult and luckily I was between jobs or I could not have made it to work during that withdrawal period. Extreme "brain zaps" were the worst thing to get rid of.

July 31, 2013 10:06 AM

Review by SJforever:

For Anxiety: The only real way to see if medication works is to ask the people you live with. I've been on Cymbalta for over a month and have had no side effects. My family can testify that I am a so much more calmer and less reactive. In fact my 18 year old daughter happened to be with me when I went to the doctor and he asked how I was going. My daughter replied for me and told him, "I don't know if it's all in her head, but she is amazing now. She used to be so irritable and grumpy. Now she's really nice." How's that for honesty? Like they say, "Out of the mouth of babes!" I really, really do feel happier and it's great knowing my family can see the difference. I remember saying to my doctor "I'm not coping", but I truly don't feel that way anymore.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 4:24 AM

Review by JustPlainJill (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I've been on this for a few months for depression and anxiety. I was on Celexa for 25 years, but I also have acute bursitis and bone pain from Hashimoto's disease so my Doctor switched me to Cymbalta. The first week I ended up in the hospital, the transition was AWFUL I was miserable and I had severe migraines. Everything smoothed out just fine and I was actually surprised at how much it did improve my bone pain and acute bursitis. I came to this site to see side effects that people are having because in the last two weeks I am finding that I am having really bad anxiety attacks at night, even while I'm sleeping; they wake me up. I had four episodes last week and another last night.

July 29, 2013 4:03 AM

Review by GuapaGuera (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I felt like I wasn't "Me", a very weird feeling.

July 29, 2013 1:52 AM

Review by CNA1950 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Fibromyalgia: I have been on Cymbalta, 60 mg, for over 5 years. It did work for the Fibro pain, even though at stressful times I still felt a minimum of pain. I began to notice after about 3 years that I was very tired all the time and foggy in the brain. It was hard for me to concentrate when someone was talking and words were hard to find when answering them. I finally told my doctor that I wanted to wean off of Cymbalta but I haven't found this to be very easy. Been working on it since June and if I try to lower the dose too fast I become sick like a very bad flu. I am now more clear headed and can talk with clarity since my dose was lowered to around 20 mg.

July 28, 2013 5:08 PM

Review by slipknottkbk:

For Chronic Pain: Cymbalta seems to really help with my low back pain & feet & legs neuropathy.

July 27, 2013 9:42 AM

Review by April Johnson:

For Fibromyalgia: I have been taking Cymbalta for a little over a month and I feel great! I am doing things I haven't been able to do in years.

July 26, 2013 6:38 AM

Review by Tasersmum:

For Depression: Have been on 30mgs Cymbalta for about 3 months to treat major depression and fibromyalgia. Have previously taken just about every antidepressant on the market with no real difference to my mood. Have tried to come off antidepressants but without success. My experience with Cymbalta is it has been highly effective in treating joint and back pain but the side effects I am experiencing are so bad that I am seeing my GP today to request help in switching to something else. Side effects include: sweats for the first few weeks, nausea for the first few weeks, increased energy levels, headaches/migraines on waking, dry skin, dry eyes and sharp pain in eyes, itchy palms and feet, constant phantom smell of strong, cloying perfume, severe constipation.

July 25, 2013 6:01 PM

Review by jolter803:

For Depression: I have tried over 6 different medicines in the past, none of which worked or gave me results that helped. (Very frustrating). I was put on Cymbalta and immediately evened out, though if I'm off for even a day I am an emotional wreck. So always have refills, or face the consequences.

July 19, 2013 2:53 PM

Review by cindycc:

For Depression: I have tried just about every antidepressant over a 20 yr period. I have been taking Cymbalta for about 6 months and it is my saving grace. All symptoms of depression are gone. I am happy, focused, and myself again.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2013 1:28 AM

Review by mo15 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety: I have suffered from anxiety problems my whole life, but it was easily managed until I turned 23 (2.5 years ago) when it blew up and every month got much worse. In Dec 2012, I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder, moderate panic disorder, and moderate agoraphobia. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D, and combined with anxiety, I always had to be near a bathroom - any time I left the house I had diarrhea. Couldn't go shopping alone, do drive throughs, etc. Started this and almost immediately felt a bit better, minimal side effects (insomnia/headache 1st 3 days, itchy armpits 1st week) and it has taken the edge off lots. Have done many things I couldn't. No weight gain so far, very happy. Only big anxiety triggers bother me a bit, and Imodium use decreased LOTS! No mental fog!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2013 11:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Cymbalta, unfortunately, did not work for my general anxiety disorder. I took it for two months. The worst part was that it made me feel nothing and my other medications less effective. The good part was that it made my frequent urination decrease--probably because it made a lot of me feel numb including my bladder.

July 13, 2013 11:16 AM