User Reviews for Cymbalta (Page 5)

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Anxiety 133 reviews 63 medications

Chronic Pain 61 reviews 111 medications

5.8
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 874 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Cymbalta

For Major Depressive Disorder "Positive experience! I have SAD, GAD, Social Anxiety and Depression. I have been taking 90 mg for 10 years now. I had tried Effexor, Paxil, Wellbutrin and Celexa. These had each worked for about a year and then didn't work anymore. I have one side effect that I deal with. I have hot flashes. But this has been ok to deal with because my head finally felt right. I was able to go off of my anti-anxiety medication some years ago. After all this time on Cymbalta I have gone through some major life changes in the last year and my anxiety has come back. My depression has been sneaking back as well. I am trying CBT with a little success. I think I may need an increased dose or may have to try something new, which I dread."

Loverofkittiecats (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2015

For Anxiety "I tried cymbalta right after I gave birth and I noticed a difference within days. My.mood swings before my period get very bad and I thought the medicine wasn't working anymore so I switched to prozac. Big.mistake. I couldn't get out of bed. I switched back to cymbalta and am on day 2 and feel good. Never had side effects or anything like that. This has always been fast acting and an overall good medicaton for depression and my anxiety."

Kmlampe October 27, 2015

For Depression "Dont like this medication at all. I have MS and i started taking this for depression/anxiety about a month ago and i must say i will not take another pill as of today! This is a terrible medication, it gives you the weirdest nightmares! And thats when you can finally sleep! Avoid this medication at all cost and anything like it"

Jay1045 October 26, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Have had pain all my life, some is from fibromyalgia. Cymbalta worked well for pain such as the electrical zapping sensations. However, it is much too expensive and was not very effective for anxiety or depression."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Mood was boosted for awhile when I first started taking it, but then levelled off to the point of ineffectiveness. Did work very well for my fibromyalgia pain, but not worth the extremely high price."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2015

For Depression "I've been taking Cymbalta for about 3 months now, and I can tell a drastic change in my overall mood, stress levels, pain levels and energy. I started out on the 30mg, but requested an increase to 60mg after talking to my doctor. It was a great decision and I'm finally beginning to feel the effects. I wake up smiling. Something I never thought I would do! And the good mood continues throughout the day. I also have chronic pain in my back, and I have noticed that the pain which was a level 7 out of 10, is now about a 3. Amazing! That in itself is enough to keep me in a good mood. It was a bit difficult the first 2 months with the side effects and finding a good dose, but it is worth it in the end for sure."

Danigirl123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I was on Cymbalta for years but became incredibly exhausted. Doc said the accumulation of using drug so long can lead to tiredness also weight gain. Promptly changed drugs to Wellbutrin, epitec and aspen trazodone. Felt amazing and lost almost 15kg. Wellbutrin started causing tremors so now Replaced Wellbutrin with Brintellix and gaining weight sadly as great drug"

Lucy Clare October 15, 2015

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy "I was on Cymbalta for a few years, and over that time, I didn't notice a significant reduction in the pain, but I did notice that my memory started to diminish. I asked my doctor to take me off of it, but he refused, so I quit cold-turkey. The side effects are significant and severe! I wouldn't suggest this tactic! All in all, I'm very happy to be off of it... my memory is improving noticeably, and the foot pain is just about the same."

samitarvian October 14, 2015

For Depression "I was depressed, (no motivation, lack of pleasure) for a full year before trying Cymbalta. It made me feel like my old happy self again. Works very well for me, a cure for my depression."

Dozer (JoJo) October 13, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "I have been on Cymbalta for about two weeks. I have severe depression, two failed back operations, and neuropathy in my legs and feet; those stabbing hot jabs of pain and also pain throughout my body and joints. On day three of being on Cymbalta I had body and joint pain relief and some increased sensitivity in my feet. Still having back pain but that was expected as my back is toast. The vivid dreams were disturbing for about a week, but have gone away. I had hallucinations as I was awaking each morning. That has gone away as well. My depression seems to be lifting and I feel more active. Good luck on Cymbalta."

Greg227 (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2015

For Depression "the worst drug I have ever taken in my life! Withdrawal is hard work. I googled and read more about Cymbalta Discontinuation Syndrome Food and Drug administrationon "

Kl2754 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2015

For Depression "I was first on AD's 13yrs ago after a marriage breakup and was prescribed an SSRI to cope (cannot remember what is was) The side effects of it were lots of small annoying shocks a minute in my ears...akin to adrenaline when startled. I figured it the trade-off on coping and gaining back 'normality. A chance discussion on the 'shocks' with a GP 'off the record' led to an eventual diagnosis of Adult ADD which I had struggled with since an early age. Have since met and married my soul mate. Jump forward to this yr- stresses and issues in the workplace bring about a diagnosis of anxiety and depression and prescribed a NRSI (Cymbalta). currently 60mg. Missing a dose from running out brings back the 'shocks' in my ears which I have not read of."

Analysis Man (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2015

For Anxiety "I took this for both anxiety and pain. It did not work as well as Effexor for anxiety but it helped keep away the bad anxiety attacks. I had to take ativan several times a week where as on the Effexor I took it once or twice a week. I changed to the Cymbalta hoping it would help with my chronic pain and it did significantly. The only bad side effect I have had is higher body temperature and sweating. I am currently researching other medications just because of this side effect. If you anxiety is mild to moderate and you have chronic pain I think this is a good option if you dont experience the sweating. My anxiety was a little to much for this drug to handle alone and I cant handle the sweating and "hot flashes""

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2015

For Depression "The initial side effects were horrible. I felt exhausted and nauseated all the time. After a month I noticed a dramatic improvement in my mood. I had energy, I was less depressed and anxious. Prior starting Cymbalta had tried two different antidepressants which did not seem to be effective. The decreased libido with cymbalta is worth having my life back."

Gaetzton (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2015

For Depression "This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I took it at night on the first day and woke up at around 3 am feeling nauseous and just plain gross. I figured my body was just adjusting, so I took the next dose the following night. Within hours my arms and legs were in pain, it felt like I was laying on a bed of nails. I had numbness in my arms and legs for a a few days too. Needless to say I discontinued the medicine immediately."

Anon0000 October 4, 2015

For Depression "I began taking this medication a week ago. The first and second day were great, no noticeable side effects other than the fact that I was happy and full of energy. The third day I began noticing that my emotions were very easy coming. One sad thing would make me tear up. I also noticed weakness in my left arm. I am only 21 years old and have been on some type of antidepressant since 18 years old. This is the first to make my arm feel this way. Please let me know if anyone else has left arm weakness."

sbevel (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "This medicine helped, at first. Than the dose had to be increased often. I didn't realize the brain fog, the chronic tiredness and the inability to sleep at night were from this medicine. My agitation level also increased. I am tapering off of it now and I am in hell."

Littlewingsnest September 23, 2015

For Fibromyalgia "I have been on Cymbalta for my Fibromyalgia since Nov.2014. I had loved this med,helped some what with my pain and also helped my moods. (I called it my happy pill..lol) I have been experiencing many months of restless sleep and extreme sweating! I never considered it was my wonder drug. But it is,it has to be..Cymbalta is the only drug I take and the only change for me in a year. Also I have gained an excessive amount of weight ! I can not handle this extreme sweating,also very fatigued. I am starting today to ween off of it..my doc started me on Lyrcia. I sure hope this helps! So tired of being tired and in pain.."

Krismor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2015

For Depression "I started Cymbalta for major depression and suicidal ideation (no plan). It worked. Took as much as 90mg at my high point. I"m now tapering down to 30 mg. Going from 3 pills a day to 1 pill a week is hard but manageable. But the side effects for this drug are real. Dizziness, blurry vision, constipation to runs. I would say for me, I could work through them because I wanted to live. The tapering has started aura migraines which are close to unbearable but I get through it. I say close because I almost felt like going to the ER once. I've slept 2 days straight trying to overcome an aura migraine. No light, sound, food, or blankets. If you were in my place over a year ago, taking Cymbalta would have been a no brainer."

Bippie (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2015

For Chronic Pain "The only reason it's not a 10 for me is side effects, which were very significant at first but have gotten well into a reasonable range. I researched heavily before starting, know it can be hell to discontinue, and if the relief hadn't been so immense within days from both pain and anxiety I probably would have stopped it--glad I didn't. Took about 5-6 weeks for depression to get under control, but I feel great now. No cognitive issues like Neurotin, pain meds, and Ativan, no sleepiness for me (sleeplessness was a bigger problem at first). I have osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, lumbar disk pain, GAD, chronic depression issues."

SeeToSee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I took cymbalta for years before and always loved how good I felt. Because of life changing circumstances I had to get off of them about 3 years ago. I did well for a year then all my symptoms came back like a trainwreck! I have bipolar 2 now along with GAD. I was going crazy mad all the time ,anxious, depressed couldn't remember where I was or days at a time. I finally had enough. I hadn't felt this bad since I was in my 20s I'm now 40. I was put back on cymbalta starting at 20 mgs a day the side effects are minimal to how I felt before the worst thing is the stomach issues but you have to keep on them the future benefits are amazing it's been 9 days I already feel good!"

bestever! (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started taking cymbalta when I turned 30!! Literally no side effects no brain zaps bad thoughts anything!!!! I take 30 mg once a day to keep my body from seizing up. I do that during an anxiety attack and at first they put me on Zoloft and lorazepam!! That experience was horrible!! I was so scared to try anything else because of that. Until one day a doctor handed me the pill and said take it..take it now!! I did and called my mom all in a panic. I am very reactive to medicine too which is also odd. Within 30 mins of talking to my mom all panicked out.. I just felt my whole body relax and said to myself, why I'm I freaking out? This medicine has truly saved my life!! My abilities to do things without being afraid!!"

Crab78 September 16, 2015

For Chronic Pain "My doctor put me on Cymbalta for chronic pain with Fribro/Arthritis/Bursitis/Bulging discs. I have been taking it for a week now and cant seem to shake some of the side effects. My pain is almost completely gone and I am so thankful for that. However, my eyes are so dilated all the time that everything is blurry and I practically live in a cave. In the 6 days I have been taking it I have lost almost 10 lbs, I am not sleeping (though they say this will get better) and during the day I am having so tired it takes everything in me to stay awake at work. My reflexes are lacking as well: I am dropping things, losing my balance and my reaction time when driving is a little sketchy. But all that aside, my pain is gone :)"

Twister2001 September 14, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm a mom in my 40s and though my life should have been happy (great husband and kids) I was constantly worried, paranoid, combative, and quick to anger. It took months to convince myself to call a psychiatrist but finally I did. At first she put me on effexor but I hated it (brain zaps, teeth clenching, nausea, lethargy) I tried to hang in there but after 6 months I asked for something else. She gave me Cymbalta. WOW is all I can say. No real side effects and most importantly, I'm laughing and smiling again. I don't feel angry all the time anymore and for the first time in years I'm calm. I also suffer back pain and it is seriously lessened with Cymbalta. I pray my insurance continues to pay for it."

Finally calm mama (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2015

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I've only been on it for 7 days at 30 mg. My Dr said to increase to 60 mg after a week. I feel it's working for my anxiety at this level so I don't think I should go up. Thoughts?"

angiesmith (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2015