User Reviews for Gianvi

5.1
Summary of Gianvi reviews 103 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Gianvi

Review by Emily V (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Menstrual Disorders: I started this medicine mainly to regulate my period and help with cramps (it was initially very helpful with the cramps but got less effective over several years). It also helped clear up my skin. I had pretty positive results with Gianvi all around. Unfortunately I was switched to Vestura, which seems the same but it is really hard to swallow the pills. Their edges are sharper than Gianvi.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by Ana B.:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I first started with a low hormone pill called Azurette. I was having heavy periods that lasted for a week and terrible acne, so I decided to try Yaz and my doctor prescribed me Gianvi, first month my face was completely clear and my period used to last 3 days max but my anxiety and mood changes got worse and my sex drive went from 10 to zero because I was very dry, also noticed my skin got really dry too and I looked like a 60 year old lady!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 12:03 AM

Review by xKatx:

For Birth Control: I've been taking Gianvi for about 4 months now and at first I really enjoyed it. Now I'm feeling nauseous, my breasts are swollen and painful and I've had a headache every other day for a month. I've also noticed a slight weight gain and I'm moody as hell not to mention my sex drive is gone. I'm so frustrated I want off this pill and back on my old one, Ocella. I'm calling my dr and demanding to switch back so I can stop being a monster and enjoy my sex life with my fiance again.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 2:34 AM

Review by Mehh:

For Menstrual Disorders: I started taking birth control to treat painful periods, and this did get rid of the super painful cramps and I did not get pregnant while taking it, so it was effective. However while on this my anxiety became worse than it had ever been before and my sex drive completely vanished. I noticed my sex drive return about 1 month after I discontinued Gianvi.

April 10, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by hanspen (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: I have been on Gianvi on and off for about 2 years. I went on it to help my acne and to lighten my periods. Period is a little heavy the first day or so then completely goes away by the 3rd day of white pills so no complaints there. Although my acne is TERRIBLE! It's a great pill for someone that doesn't get acne but I already suffer from it so I will be switching soon.

March 6, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by k87 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Acne: I was on Gianvi for many years (at least 4). For all of it except the past year, Gianvi has been great. It controlled my acne and helped me have lighter periods. The past year has been worse though. I've had my periods not show up on the placebo pill days (they start 4 days after the placebo pill days, so they actually start after I start the next pack), and I've actually had breakthrough bleeding during sex which made me worry I had something much, much more serious going on as I was bleeding a LOT during sex only. My doctor told me I needed to swap to a higher hormone dose, so I had to go off this pill. Otherwise, I had no issue.

February 19, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by amandagirl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Acne: I have been taking Yaz, now Gianvi for 5 yrs now and still love it. Acne is pretty much gone except maybe an occasional blemish every few months but nothing severe and goes away in a few days. Also, have not had my period for pretty much the whole time which is awesome and no "PMS" at all. I would like to try and have a baby so am not excited to go off of this and scared my acne will come back. For now though, am enjoying what this does for my skin.

January 11, 2014 9:22 PM

Review by Nina6742 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've been on many birth controls trying to find the right one for me. I was on Apri a couple years ago which gave me very bad anxiety so after that I switched to Tri-Sprintec. This pill didn't cause any anxiety but my skin broke out so terribly on it! My third and final switch was to "Yaz", at the pharmacy I was handed the generic Gianvi. I spent hours reading reviews and was a little nervous to start taking these pills but they have been great. My skin has completely cleared up, I never break out at all anymore. I had no mood changes or anxiety, nor weight gain. This pill is sensitive with regards to breakthrough bleeding, if just one pill is missed you can expect spotting the next day. Otherwise an AWESOME pill! Highly recommend!

December 29, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by Lindsay k:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: good

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 8:33 PM

Review by BibiB (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I LOVE GIANVI! No mood swings, no weight gain, it's helped my acne, it controls my appetite, and my breasts have actually gotten bigger. I have been on and off of Gianvi for three years now (I tried different birth controls here and there but I always come back to Gianvi because it has always been the best for me) and it's absolutely free! I definitely recommend it, but like always, everyone is different.

December 10, 2013 3:22 PM

Review by Katie528:

For Birth Control: I have been taking Gianvi for 9 months now. This is the first Birth control I tried and was highly recommended by my Gynecologist. After the first few months of taking it I didn't seem to have any problems my period always came on the third day of the placebo pills and lasted about five days. One thing I will say is I have only missed one pill and if you miss one you will break through bleed for a little bit. Last month I did get random spotting before my period, then my period started and stopped for a day then came back very light. I think this is just my periods lessening, I know some on this medication don't receive a period at all. I would greatly recommend this birth control I LOVE IT! And it has prevented pregnancy!

December 7, 2013 8:41 AM

Review by dodoughnut89 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I took Gianvi for 3 months, and I loved it. I lost weight (about 10lbs) even though I was eating the a lot of fast food and crap, my mood improved, I felt more motivated, and dispite having some spotting a couple of days before starting my period it did make my periods lighter and shorter with virtually no cramps. After three months my insurance switched me to Loryna which has been a nightmare. I've been on that for a month and had such horrible nausea constantly and was sick to the point of throwing up on several occasions and even threw my pill up once and had to take plan b! It was a dreadful experience and I'm going back on Gianvi today. Couldn't be happier! Give Gianvi a try it's been awesome for me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2013 11:02 AM

Review by Beanie7:

For Birth Control: I was on Yasmin for over a year and I switched to Gianvi. I've been taking it now for 2 weeks and my appetite has increased like no other but my weight hasn't changed. I eat and 20 minutes later I'm starving again. This will go on all day. My sex drive has increased and no changes in my complexion yet. Anyone else experience this?

November 11, 2013 3:53 PM

Review by Haole (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: I stopped taking Gianvi two months ago and wow was that a mistake. The first period I had was absolutely horrible. It was super heavy, lasted a long time, and my cramps were really bad. It has really messed up my hormones as well. I get so mad very easily and I feel like a crazy person with emotions that I'm feeling that I never felt before. My breasts shrank a lot and my acne has come back. SO I started taking Gianvi again a few days ago so I can get back on track to normalness! I don't want to wait for my body to adjust without it.

October 4, 2013 7:50 PM

Review by yournickname (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: I took Gianvi for about a year for my PMDD. Since doing it I noticed a very uplifting change in my mood and irritability. I was no longer aggressive and I didn't burst into tears at least once a day before my period so that is a definite improvement. I went off of it, changed it to Loryna and then changed back to Gianvi. Right now I have horrible cystic acne from switching around my medicine but it works wonders on my hormones which to me is the important part.

September 3, 2013 6:46 PM

Review by Iggs:

For Acne: After trying almost everything to treat my sudden/severe cystic acne (diet changes, topical and internal antibiotics, regular aesthetician visits, other birth controls) this is the ONLY thing that has worked. My acne was isolated to where a man would grow a beard which indicated I had higher than normal testosterone levels. No initial breakout either! Within the first month, I noticed less breaking out. I broke out during my first period, but I'm in month two and my skin is almost totally clear of active breakouts and no cysts! Seriously a miracle, this medication saved my sanity, social life and self esteem. It costs me $85/month with no insurance but worth it. Still experiencing spotting but it should dissipate after a few more pill packs.

August 27, 2013 12:41 PM

Review by KCatty (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I switched to this after taking Yaz for years due to cost. Under the Affordable Health Care Act, BCBS offered me Gianvi for free whereas I had to pay $50 for Yaz. After 6 months, I'd pay anything to switch back. Since going on Gianvi, I've seen considerable weight gain (some attributable to lifetime changes) but I now experience uncontrollable bouts of anger that near the level of rage. My sex drive is virtually non-existent and my skin isn't nearly as clear as it was on Yaz. I switched back as of today. The only upside... after dealing with my increasingly awful personality for the past few months, my boyfriend is still around. Guess the Gianvi was confirmation that man really does love me!

August 9, 2013 1:57 PM

Review by Haole (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: I reviewed this in January 2013 and I have been taking this for about 9 months now. I still like it. Keeps me un-pregnant and my acne has significantly improved. Only time I break out is a couple times around my period cycle. Some side effects, I do not enjoy are monthly yeast infections and tiredness. But I eat yogurt and take AZO pills for the yeast infections and that seems to work. Need to figure out what to do about the tiredness, I need a nap everyday now. My sex drive has also dropped. I feel I have mellowed out a little too, don't get as irritated with things and more chill. I like it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2013 8:25 PM

Review by Happy Gianvi Pill Popper:

For Birth Control: Regardless of all the negative reviews, I tried this birth control & I do like it a lot. After about 3-4 packs it cleared up my acne (I'm on the inert pills of my 5th pack now), it has relieved my menstrual cramps, helped to regulate my hormones, and is very effective as a birth control. I like pills that force me to bleed if I miss too many days, which helps to ward off sexual activity that could grant me an unwanted pregnancy. This does just that. After about two missed pills you receive your period, and during the inert pills you actually get a period & don't just spot. My insurance usually covers it & it was $36 for three months but recently it has become free of charge after my insurance coverage switched & covered contraception.

July 14, 2013 12:19 AM

Review by Mags112233:

For Birth Control: I had headaches for a few months but my body got pretty used to it. Periods were like clock work - 2 days sometimes only lasted even 1 but last year I started getting random spotting. I told my doc I wanted to try something new as there are so many options and the random spotting wasn't making my husband happy. So she prescribed me LO LOESTRIN. WORST MISTAKE EVER. First month on Lo Loestrin I didn't get my period (thought I was pregnant) second month got it twice, third month got it 3x. Was dizzy, sick to my stomach, constantly tired, started breaking out all over! Long story short - stayed on Lo Loestrin for 5 months. Now I'm back on Gianvi and happier than EVER!

June 25, 2013 12:30 PM

Review by loveit!:

For Birth Control: I first started taking birth control around age 15. When I first took Gianvi, I experienced nausea, headaches, and dizziness. I was on it for about 5 months then I decided to stop. Around the age of 17, I decided to get back on the pill. This time I was prescribed Lo Loestrin Fe. WORST MISTAKE EVER! So I told my doctor to switch me back to Gianvi because I was familiar with it. The second time around I LOVED it! My periods were back to normal, no more mood swings and my appetite was back to normal. And as for the symptoms I just eat before I take the pill and it makes me feel better! I would recommend this to anyone!

June 15, 2013 9:39 AM

Review by girl213:

For Birth Control: I have been on Gianvi for over a year now and I love it. I lost some weight, but with that my breasts also got a bit smaller. The headaches I was getting on my previous birth control are completely gone, and I get my period for 2 days and its extremely light, compared to my 2 week long extremely heavy period. On my previous birth control I gained some weight, my breasts got huge, and I got terrible headaches, but none of that with Gianvi. I know a lot of people have terrible side effects, but honestly I love Gianvi. (I was previously on Ortho Tri- Cyclen Lo).

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2013 11:48 AM

Review by Irish Girl:

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: This is the best birth control I have ever been on! I'm willing to pay extra for it. Give it a chance, ignore the negative reviews (everyone is different). This birth control keeps me happy, did not affect my sex drive, continues to keep my skin clear and as an added bonus I gained a cup size. I give it an A, about time something works right for me.

May 17, 2013 9:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I love Gianvi! It has been effective with no side effects. My skin is clear, I have a sex drive, I didn't gain weight, and my periods are lighter. I can't say anything bad about this pill. Sadly have to quit it because my new insurance won't pay for it.

May 10, 2013 6:31 PM

Review by Michelle789:

For Acne: I have never been on any pill, my acne was getting really severe so my doctor suggested Tri-Cyclen Lo. The first two months on Tri-Cyclen Lo made me get cystic breakouts and I was miserable. I finally switched my birth control to Gianvi, this has been the best alternative to cleaning my skin. I haven't had any negative side effects and my skin is finally clear! The only downside is the increase in appetite, I haven't gained any weight I live a healthy life style-eat clean and workout regularly. But I'm constantly hungry! Besides that my skin looks its best that it has in years! Now I only need to get rid of my blemishes. I would highly recommend Gianvi, your period is light, you don't experience nausea or mood swings.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate