User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 138 medications used in the treatment of Skin or Soft Tissue Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Skin or Soft Tissue Infection

"I took this recently for one week because i had cellulitis my upperlip and right cheek due to a pimple that was popped by my doctor. I would recommend this especially to those who are allergic to penicillin. I took ceftriaxone before this for two weeks and in the middle of my medication i broke into hives. So to everyone, when the doctor says "theres only a 3% chance of penicillin allergy" just say NO. The side effects with clindamycin for me was loose stool and joint pains. Good thing i found this forum so im still taking my probiotic pills and also activia. So far my bowel movement is not a problem and my stool is getting better."

eveangel March 2, 2015

"I have more of a concern/question than an experience to share. I have been taking Clindamycin 450 mgs 4 times daily....and started feeling a bit strange but nothing acutely abnormal just have felt off, so I came to read up on it & get other users reviews. Let's just say that had I known what could possibly happen weeks/months after stopping this drug, I wouldn't have taken it however now that I'm in half way through the prescription I've taken notice that in complete contradiction to the norm, I've had absolutely ZERO bowel movements in the last 6 days since starting this med & I'm getting concerned. Considering the norm reaction to this med is loose stools and/or diarrhea, I'm just concerned that it's doing something to my GI tract."

MarkyBy (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2015

"I have taken this twice in the past for dental and skin infection, and am currently on it again, all for dental issues. I developed C. diff after both previous cycles of taking this medicine, with the most recent being near-fatal. That said, it's the best medicine for treating broad-spectrum serious infections, so it did work on the initial infection well each time. I have also developed a mild blistery rash on my chest and upper arms while taking this in the past, but it cleared up when finishing the meds. My only major warning: if you develop C diff. symptoms in the weeks or months following this medication (several watery/loose stools per day, weakness, stomach pain, vomiting, nausea), insist your doctor test a stool sample to culture for C. Diff."

Infecty McFectison (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2014

"I am allergic to many antibiotics including amoxicillin, and this is after taking it many times before and suddenly developing a reaction. I was given Clindamycin(doc said it is one of the milder antibiotics) for 5 foot/ankle/calf surgeries. Months of my surgeries. Aug., Sept., Dec. 2013 and Aug. 7 2014 (last night). The doctor didn't want me to develop an infection which is why he prescribes it. It is now the ONLY medication that works for me. PLUS, I have a medium size hiatal hernia, GERD and bad acid reflux and esophagitis. The previous 4 surgeries I had to take the capsules 3 x a day for 10 days and this last surgery 3xday for 3 days. THE KEY TO TAKING CLINDAMYCIN IS TO DRINK ALOT OF WATER AFTER SWALLOWING IT. I never had one problem"

Julia S. August 8, 2014

"This has worked great on my MRSA but the side effects have been HORRIBLE. I have felt like I've had the flu but worse, fever, nauseous, but the worst has been the itching! I'm not breaking out in hives but it's a deep internal itch that I can't stop! Benadryl helps but makes me sleepy! I'm not sure if it's an allergic reaction but in all the reviews I have read, no one mentions this."

litlprincess (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2014

"Medicine worked for my soft-tissue skin infection. However, it caused tremendous heartburn that generally lasted a couple of hours. Tums helped that side-effect. Did better when I took the medicine with food, even though the label said to take with an empty stomach."

Anonymous May 1, 2014

"This medicine did get rid of my skin infection (MRSA) however, it gave me a slew of other problems. I had awful headaches, pain in my intestines, a change in my bowel habits/change in stool, and now, about a week off of the medication, I still have pain in my intestines and now I have a vaginal yeast infection. I have been taking acidophilus tablets since I stopped clindamycin. "

eranno (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2014

"I was prescribed 10 days of oral capsules of this medication after other medicines did nothing for a moderate skin abscess. Clindamycin is a strong antibiotic, and diarrhea is often a side effect. To help prevent this from happening, I took Acidophilus capsules. Yogurt does not provide enough Acidophilus--you really need the capsules. I took Clindamycin every 6 hours, so in between (that is, 3 hours after the antibiotic) I would take an Acidophlius capsule. I didn't bother getting up in the night to do this. I believe the Acidophilus prevented my getting diarrhea while the antibiotic cured the infection. You can get Acidophilus in health food stores in the refrigerator case."

JayEll48 December 11, 2013

"Took clindamycin, two 150 mg every 6 hrs for 7 days. I was hesitant to take this because I've had C. diff before from taking Cipro several months ago. I had cellulitis from bee stings and I had no side effects from taking clindamycin...except to make sure to have food in your tummy when taking this because it does give heartburn if your tummy is empty. Other than that, I am thankful that I had no side effects from this. I'm sorry to hear those who are extremely sensitive to this strong antibiotic but it has surely helped cute my cellulitis."

mj671 October 15, 2013

"It works fine for me. It squashed cellulitis of the face. My doctor says it was most likely an MRSA bacteria and that most infections of this type are these days. Side effects are mild diarrhea, some abdominal pain, and unnatural taste in mouth for about 2 hours after taking. The taste is not repulsive to me; it is easily tolerated."

ATBx September 12, 2013

"I have cellulitis on the neck and face. This disease can be very dangerous and must be treated very quickly and aggressively. I was told by urgent care to go to the ER, which I did and received the I.V. version-for 1/2 an hour, and released. Then, I took the oral version at 300mg 4 X daily for 7 days. I am on day 5. It gave me mild diarrhea. I changed my diet to something that's easy to digest and it's better now. My rash and the pains on my head are gone almost completely. I am still very scared about day 8 when I stop taking these pills. The doctor says I should be fine so I have to believe it."

Tboon September 8, 2013

"I read the reviews before taking the medicine and almost did not take it. The reviews scared me but I had to give it a chance and I am glad I did. I did not experience anything mentioned in the reviews. It cleared my skin infection in 7 days. I did take it on a full stomach and ate 2 yogurts with live cultures daily to keep the normal balance in my stomach. I think this really helped."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2012

"I was prescribed Cleocin for a MRSA infection of the skin. While the medicine began working within 2-3 hours, the side effects have been HORRID! I've had fever and chills, and feel like I have the flu times ten. My body aches, my head aches. I will be contacting my doctor as soon as possible to either come off or try something else. I don't care for the taste of Flagyl, but I'd take it any day rather than feel as bad as I do on this medicine!"

Anonymous November 13, 2011

"Taking this for a skin infection. The infection started to clear up on day 2 but the pills gave me horrible heartburn and nausea. It's better if I eat and then take the medication at the same time."

Anonymous March 16, 2011

"Skin infection started to subside, but had to stop after 4 doses as had fever, chills, aches, vomiting, severe headache, ear pain, diarrhea, vaginal bleeding, loss of appetite, and nausea. "

Anonymous January 10, 2011

"Horrible heartburn that lasts for hours. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Nauseated. But did good for my skin infection..cannot complete my dose. Will change antibiotic."

Anonymous November 16, 2010

Cleocin (clindamycin): "Helped knock down MRSA infection, couldn't take full course of antibiotic, due to chest pains and inability to swallow for 3 days. Horrible pain, then the diarrhea started. "

Anonymous October 18, 2010

"Severe skin infection on ankle due to weed-wacking accident - infection and swelling gone in 5 days. No side effects despite having eczema, no allergic reaction so far with 3 and 1/2 days of 300mg capsules remaining."

Anonymous August 29, 2010

"My doctor prescribed this medication 2 days ago for boils. I can't believe how well it is working. My boils are clearing up already."

Anonymous July 2, 2010

"I experienced difficulty keeping up with my normal diet and felt extremely bloated and nauseated. Was not a fan of the diarrhea either."

Anonymous December 6, 2009

Cleocin (clindamycin): "I got pseudomembranous colitis from this medicine but it put my MRSA back into being dormant."

always sick March 4, 2009