User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin review summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 140 medications used in the treatment of Skin Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Skin Infection

Review by litlprincess (taken for less than 1 month):

This has worked great on my MRSA but the side effects have been HORRIBLE. I have felt like I've had the flu but worse, fever, nauseous, but the worst has been the itching! I'm not breaking out in hives but it's a deep internal itch that I can't stop! Benadryl helps but makes me sleepy! I'm not sure if it's an allergic reaction but in all the reviews I have read, no one mentions this.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 1:37 PM

Medicine worked for my soft-tissue skin infection. However, it caused tremendous heartburn that generally lasted a couple of hours. Tums helped that side-effect. Did better when I took the medicine with food, even though the label said to take with an empty stomach.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 2:35 AM

Review by eranno (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine did get rid of my skin infection (MRSA) however, it gave me a slew of other problems. I had awful headaches, pain in my intestines, a change in my bowel habits/change in stool, and now, about a week off of the medication, I still have pain in my intestines and now I have a vaginal yeast infection. I have been taking acidophilus tablets since I stopped clindamycin.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2014 12:51 PM

Review by JayEll48:

I was prescribed 10 days of oral capsules of this medication after other medicines did nothing for a moderate skin abscess. Clindamycin is a strong antibiotic, and diarrhea is often a side effect. To help prevent this from happening, I took Acidophilus capsules. Yogurt does not provide enough Acidophilus--you really need the capsules. I took Clindamycin every 6 hours, so in between (that is, 3 hours after the antibiotic) I would take an Acidophlius capsule. I didn't bother getting up in the night to do this. I believe the Acidophilus prevented my getting diarrhea while the antibiotic cured the infection. You can get Acidophilus in health food stores in the refrigerator case.

December 11, 2013 9:25 AM

Review by mj671:

Took clindamycin, two 150 mg every 6 hrs for 7 days. I was hesitant to take this because I've had C. diff before from taking Cipro several months ago. I had cellulitis from bee stings and I had no side effects from taking clindamycin...except to make sure to have food in your tummy when taking this because it does give heartburn if your tummy is empty. Other than that, I am thankful that I had no side effects from this. I'm sorry to hear those who are extremely sensitive to this strong antibiotic but it has surely helped cute my cellulitis.

October 15, 2013 8:11 PM

Review by ATBx:

It works fine for me. It squashed cellulitis of the face. My doctor says it was most likely an MRSA bacteria and that most infections of this type are these days. Side effects are mild diarrhea, some abdominal pain, and unnatural taste in mouth for about 2 hours after taking. The taste is not repulsive to me; it is easily tolerated.

September 12, 2013 5:16 PM

Review by Tboon:

I have cellulitis on the neck and face. This disease can be very dangerous and must be treated very quickly and aggressively. I was told by urgent care to go to the ER, which I did and received the I.V. version-for 1/2 an hour, and released. Then, I took the oral version at 300mg 4 X daily for 7 days. I am on day 5. It gave me mild diarrhea. I changed my diet to something that's easy to digest and it's better now. My rash and the pains on my head are gone almost completely. I am still very scared about day 8 when I stop taking these pills. The doctor says I should be fine so I have to believe it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2013 12:14 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I read the reviews before taking the medicine and almost did not take it. The reviews scared me but I had to give it a chance and I am glad I did. I did not experience anything mentioned in the reviews. It cleared my skin infection in 7 days. I did take it on a full stomach and ate 2 yogurts with live cultures daily to keep the normal balance in my stomach. I think this really helped.

August 20, 2012 11:01 AM

I was prescribed Cleocin for a MRSA infection of the skin. While the medicine began working within 2-3 hours, the side effects have been HORRID! I've had fever and chills, and feel like I have the flu times ten. My body aches, my head aches. I will be contacting my doctor as soon as possible to either come off or try something else. I don't care for the taste of Flagyl, but I'd take it any day rather than feel as bad as I do on this medicine!

November 13, 2011 2:23 PM

Taking this for a skin infection. The infection started to clear up on day 2 but the pills gave me horrible heartburn and nausea. It's better if I eat and then take the medication at the same time.

March 16, 2011 3:46 PM

Skin infection started to subside, but had to stop after 4 doses as had fever, chills, aches, vomiting, severe headache, ear pain, diarrhea, vaginal bleeding, loss of appetite, and nausea.

January 10, 2011 1:27 PM

Horrible heartburn that lasts for hours. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Nauseated. But did good for my skin infection..cannot complete my dose. Will change antibiotic.

November 16, 2010 7:31 AM

Cleocin (clindamycin): Helped knock down MRSA infection, couldn't take full course of antibiotic, due to chest pains and inability to swallow for 3 days. Horrible pain, then the diarrhea started.

October 18, 2010 7:11 PM

Severe skin infection on ankle due to weed-wacking accident - infection and swelling gone in 5 days. No side effects despite having eczema, no allergic reaction so far with 3 and 1/2 days of 300mg capsules remaining.

August 29, 2010 9:45 AM

My doctor prescribed this medication 2 days ago for boils. I can't believe how well it is working. My boils are clearing up already.

July 2, 2010 11:18 AM

I experienced difficulty keeping up with my normal diet and felt extremely bloated and nauseated. Was not a fan of the diarrhea either.

December 6, 2009 4:08 AM

Review by always sick:

Cleocin (clindamycin): I got pseudomembranous colitis from this medicine but it put my MRSA back into being dormant.

March 4, 2009 9:54 PM