User Reviews for Biaxin

Learn more about Biaxin.

Biaxin review summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 366 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Biaxin to treat Sinusitis

Review by 25skidoo:

I too have had multiple sinus infections and surgery twice. In addition I am immunosuppressed because of a medication for rheumatoid arthritis. Biaxin has always worked for me. I really have no side effects other than the metallic taste which is tolerable. I make sure I take it after food otherwise it is really hard on the stomach. I take Biaxin XL 500mg, 2 tablets once a day for 14 days.

August 14, 2013 7:07 AM

Review by Joretta (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on this for the first time last fall when I had H. Pylori. It knocked it out but threw me into my first vaginal yeast infection. The metallic taste in the mouth is horrible and my husband could even taste it when he kissed me. Currently I am on it for sinusitis which I have seasonal.

April 4, 2013 2:55 AM

Review by Anonymous5:

I have had MANY sinus infections over the years, and Biaxin is the only thing that really gets rid of them. Yes, you have a horrible (metallic) taste in your mouth, are a bit loopy, and tummy isn't the best, but those side effects are nothing compared to serious sinus pain. I'd rather be thirsty than feel like my head is in a vice all day!

February 25, 2013 7:50 PM

It works. It started to clear my sinus infection within 24 hours. However the stomach issues are unbearable, I could only handle 3 days of medication.

October 9, 2012 9:31 PM

Review by Breeze27 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a bad sinus infection and it worked great...

May 25, 2012 1:24 PM

Second antibiotic I've been on for this sinus infection (Z-pack didn't clear it up). I am slowly getting better, but I have all the unpleasant but evidently not dangerous side effects, nausea, dizziness, dry mouth, sour taste in my mouth. I dread taking the pill, because for the next two hours I have to lay my head on my desk because of nausea and dizziness. Even at night, I go to sleep, but wake up three hours later feeling like I'm going to vomit.

November 4, 2011 10:53 AM

Review by MR86er:

I have been prescribed Biaxin twice in the past three months. The first onset of sinusitis took 6 weeks to clear. 1 week before Christmas it comes back with the worst pressure, 2 ER visits later they tell me the sinusitis is back. This round with Biaxin has left me: dehydrated, constant bathroom trips after eating anything, weight loss (12lbs in 2 weeks).

December 31, 2010 7:20 AM

I was prescribed this for a sinus infection twice. First time was last year. It worked and I felt better in about five days. However I had nausea and a nasty taste in my mouth every time I took it. This year it was prescribed for the same thing. I still have the sinus infection, and the side effects were worse. My doctor chose this drug because I am allergic to sulfa drugs.

March 5, 2010 11:09 PM

Review by ljcaplan:

My 11 year old daughter has sinusitis and the Biaxin has quickly helped her feel better, but she vomited once on the 3rd day and again on the 4th day, both in the morning. Not sure if it's the Biaxin, the dripping from her sinuses, or the combination. The doctor didn't seem too concerned unless it persists.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2009 9:46 AM

I have chronic sinus infections, over the last 20 years I have tried everything including surgery, allergy shots, and many different types of antibiotics. Since I am allergic to Penicillin I have limited chocies, but think I have tried them all. Biaxin is the only thing that works for me.

August 31, 2009 9:39 PM

The first night I was nauseated, but thought it was just from the sinus infection. Two nights later I started to itch all over, thought maybe it was something else and have been itching ever since (2 days ago). Also have thrush. I have been eating yogurt and it's not doing anything for it. I suppose the itching isn't as bad as the pain, but it's equally as annoying.

May 4, 2009 3:22 PM

Review by Spiltmilk:

Might work for others, but I came down with most of the adverse side effects within hours of taking one 500mg tab. Ended up in emergency 12 hours later with difficulty breathing from swollen airways. Hives. Scary part was how it can effects the mind. I had residual effects for a number of days.

April 14, 2009 2:07 AM

Review by susan-in-Mich:

I went to the doctor 4 days ago. I have been sick for 2 weeks. I have a major sinus infection and cough. 500 mg of Biaxin twice a day, Flonase, ibuprofen, and Mucinex. Still not better - called Doctor who said to give it one more day and come in.

March 26, 2009 12:50 PM

Review by dogtagger:

My doctor put me on this for a very badly infected throat. Been on it now for two days, all I want to do is sleep but on the other hand my throat is feeling better today.

November 15, 2008 4:15 PM

Biaxin (or the generic) has always worked WONDERS for me in treating chronic sinusitis or sinus infection (also concurrent ear infection). It smacks it right out of you the 1st time, you don't wind up at the doctors again after taking something less effective. I ask for it by name (am allergic to penicillin and sulphur, so neither of those are ever an option for me).

June 27, 2008 5:19 PM

Review by Andrew in Campbell:

I was put on Biaxin for a major sinus infection. 500 mg twice daily for one month. Pharmacist told me that sinus infections can take a very long time to go away. I definitely feel better but am still having the runny nose, congestion and a little cough still but much less than before. It's been 3 weeks now since I was put on this. Hope it kicks it out of my system.

June 27, 2008 3:12 PM