User Reviews for Biaxin

5.3
Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis 1 reviews 87 medications

Summary of Biaxin reviews 59 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Biaxin

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis "I was put on biaxin a couple days ago and though my tonsillitis has cleared up quite a bit I'm still noticeably sick, I get extreme headaches, dark urine, upset stomach, I've been able to get little to no sleep and I have no appetite. I can't walk without feeling like I have no centre of gravity, I constantly shake, and just today I started throwing up. It also leaves a bad metal taste is your mouth. I'm going to go see my doctor and try to get him to put me on another anti biotic cause this one has a lot of side affects, I was previously on biaxin xl and had no side affects with that."

Pl1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Strep Throat "Started taking this medication 3 days ago for strep, didn't even know I could still get strep after getting my tonsils out 15 years ago. I've been sick for just over a month and wasn't getting any better. I take absolutely no medications but I just couldn't take being sick anymore. The fever, chills, aches, are gone. Throat is still scratching if I talk to much, sinuses are still completely plugged and runny nose is still present. My Dr prescribed Biaxin for 10 days so fingers crossed this continues to work!"

capegirl86 April 10, 2016

For Sinusitis "I read a bunch of reviews from people who have mentioned having upset stomachs and yeast infections. I used to have those issues on antiobiotics, but then I learned that taking a very strong probiotic (I take the refrigerated ones from Jarro) and a feminine probiotic with lactobaccilus eliminates or at least greatly reduces those issues. I strongly recommend taking both whenever you take antiobiotics. For this one, I agree that you definitely need to take it with a reasonable amount of food. The metallic taste comes and goes but is generally tolerable. I do feel loopy, but I am guessing that has more to do with how sick I am than anything else. Hope this helps."

erky (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

For Bronchitis "I was prescribed Biaxin for bronchitis. I've taken three pills. I have an horrible taste in my mouth all the time along with severe dry mouth. My stomach is tossing and turning, making the loudest noises I've ever heard a stomach make! I haven't had problems with nausea/vomiting but the diarrhea from this is horrendous! On the second day of taking this I got this huge burst of energy and wanted to clean every inch of my house and rearrange each room! (sort of strange as I'm still coughing constantly and having a very hard time breathing) I'm also having trouble sleeping. I'm not sure that I will be taking anymore of these."

Amandafromtheblock April 6, 2016

For Otitis Media "I was put on Biaxin because of an inner ear infection. I'm on my fourth day of taking this medication. Sure there were some side effects but it worked. I couldn't hear out of my left ear for almost 3 weeks and on day four of taking this med I'm seeing results. The results outweigh the side effects that's for sure. I didn't think anything would work so I'm very pleased that Biaxin did!"

Harley1225 March 24, 2016

For Strep Throat "After taking one 500 mg. clarithromycin in about three hours became dizzy, uncomfortable in the head and short of breath. Am afraid to take another although it was prescribed one every 12 hours. Have spent most of the day with head reclined and eyes closed. Had same reaction to 500 mg.. of Azithromycin but could take 250 mg. with no problem. Shall I ask the doctor to prescribe a smaller dose. Am very fearful of another like this."

Mary Maxine December 17, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection "I have terrible anxiety and was very afraid to take biaxin because I'd never taken it before. I worry about crazy things like having an anaphylactic reaction to medications, throat swelling shut, not being able to breathe, hives ect. I was on a triple antibiotic treatment of Biaxin, Flagyl, and Prilosec twice a day with Protonix taken alone every morning. I always ate yogurt twice a day with the medication as well as a meal so I my stomach wouldn't hurt or be upset. I never took the medication without food as instructed so I never had any stomach problems at all. The only side effect I had was an odd taste in my mouth but it wasn't overwhelming or bothersome."

TrisKal July 11, 2015

For Sinusitis "the only medication cleared my sinus infection. i have been on it for a month and my dr wants me to continue for another 4 weeks. I have not experienced any of side effects so far."

noname1000 June 9, 2015

For Bronchitis "I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis with dry cough, wheezing, chest pain, fever & fatigue. Within a day of taking Biaxin the pain & fever was gone. The coughing and fatigue lasted a week. The only side effect was an unpleasant aftertaste which was minor. Overall the drug worked pretty well."

Mel76 May 15, 2015

For Sinusitis "have used Biaxin (actually now always the generic version) for many years. Works great for me, always makes me feel much better within 12-18 hours of taking the first pill. Never had ANY side effects, except metallic taste - which has never bothered me (never been very strong). Great drug, wonderful for my chronic sinusitis. (Hint: I eat lots of miso when taking antibiotics; does wonders for my GI when taking antibiotics. Miso soup, miso on top of rice, miso in various dishes; just make sure you get the longest fermented one you can find - I buy 2-yr miso.)"

Jb-in-VA (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 25, 2015

For Pharyngitis "Within two hours of taking the first pill, I could feel the congestion start breaking up. Feeling much better after two days' treatment & no side effects."

Sick Chik (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2015

For Bronchitis "I was full of itises: bronchitis, sinusitis and pharyngitis and felt miserable. Doc prescribed Biaxin and I started to be on the mend in a couple of days after starting treatment. On day 3 of taking it I felt good enough to exercise (not super intense, but enough to at least get the blood flowing and feel like a human being again.) Biaxin has been hard on my gut. It helps to eat a lot of food before taking it. If my stomach starts hurting or cramping, I eat more food and it helps relieve it. Unexpected side effect: Biaxin gave me energy and increased aggression/agitation. It did what it was supposed to do and knocked out my infection. All in all, worth it for me."

fitzle March 28, 2014

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection "Only been on for 3 days, still coughing a bit but feel much better overall. Pharmacist told me to eat yogurt or take probiotics so maybe that's why Im not experiencing any side effects at all."

enicholson November 20, 2013

For Sinusitis "I too have had multiple sinus infections and surgery twice. In addition I am immunosuppressed because of a medication for rheumatoid arthritis. Biaxin has always worked for me. I really have no side effects other than the metallic taste which is tolerable. I make sure I take it after food otherwise it is really hard on the stomach. I take Biaxin XL 500mg, 2 tablets once a day for 14 days."

25skidoo August 14, 2013

For Strep Throat "I love this. I had a really bad strep throat and I tried everything I can so one day after I came back from a Cody Simpson signing (I couldn't miss that!) me and my mom walked to a doctor and he suggested Biaxin and after 1 dose I was feeling so much better it's been 4 days and I'm all better and I haven't had any side effects! The only sad thing that happens while I was taking this was a day after I got it I had to miss a Justin Bieber concert with my friend (she went) because my parents didn't know if the side effects would affect me."

Gabby:) (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2013

For Sinusitis "I was on this for the first time last fall when I had H. Pylori. It knocked it out but threw me into my first vaginal yeast infection. The metallic taste in the mouth is horrible and my husband could even taste it when he kissed me. Currently I am on it for sinusitis which I have seasonal."

Joretta (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2013

For Sinusitis "I have had MANY sinus infections over the years, and Biaxin is the only thing that really gets rid of them. Yes, you have a horrible (metallic) taste in your mouth, are a bit loopy, and tummy isn't the best, but those side effects are nothing compared to serious sinus pain. I'd rather be thirsty than feel like my head is in a vice all day!"

Anonymous5 February 25, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Strep Throat "I have had this medication prescribed to me twice now. Both times within less than 24 hours of taking it I experienced the metallic taste in my mouth, nausea/vomiting, headache and the worst of all side effects, uncontrollable diarrhea. When I say this, it's not the "let me run to the bathroom quick" kind of diarrhea, it's the kind that if you're not within 5 feet to a washroom then you're basically out of luck. The medicine itself works really fast (my throat started feeling better after one dose) but there's no way that I can be on this medication and go to work for a full day....unless I take a few extra changes of clothes with me. I, unfortunately, seem to be experiencing the worst of the watery diarrhea symptoms associated with it."

NiNaft February 14, 2013

For Bronchitis "Doc told me I had bronchitis, first time on Biaxin, after two days still have the bitter taste in the mouth, sleeping like crazy, increased heart rate, but overall medicine seems to be working great after two days, good alternative to amoxicillin."

KillerRevised (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2013

For Bronchitis "After 4 days Biaxin makes me feel slightly light headed and very gassy."

Tarrah (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2013

For Bronchitis "Stomach pains and bad taste. Drink plenty of water it helps the taste and stomach. I've had different reactions with Biaxin. Don't drink caffeine and take it. It will keep you awake and don't lay down in bed for 1 hour after taking. This all seems to help keep stimulation down so you can sleep."

bunny rabbit (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2012

For Sinusitis "It works. It started to clear my sinus infection within 24 hours. However the stomach issues are unbearable, I could only handle 3 days of medication."

Anonymous October 9, 2012

For Bronchitis "Been on Biaxin earlier in the year for a sinus infection, worked like a charm then, and the side effects were slight. (Just the metallic taste.) Got prescribed it for bronchitis a couple of days ago and I've got the worst nausea, can't even look at or smell food."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2012

For Sinusitis "I had a bad sinus infection and it worked great..."

Breeze27 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2012

For Strep Throat "Yesterday I woke up feeling very sick, I had a horrible sore throat, bad migraine and I felt like I was going to vomit. I went to the doctor and he prescribed Biaxin. Ever since I started taking Biaxin I have been very sleepy during the day and restless sleep during the night, it has also left a really bitter taste in my mouth. I have been drinking so much water and going to the bathroom lots, but it doesn't seem to have made anything better. I will give it a few more days."

Anonymous April 5, 2012