User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 53 medications used in the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

"After tolerating an increasingly lumpy, sore, raw, dry throat and overall fatigue for about 10 days I finally went to the doctor. Z-pac and prednisone reduced the symptoms dramatically in 2 days. I didn't realize just how badly I felt. Taken exactly as prescribed this was certainly the right treatment. It's working."

Borris60 May 3, 2015

"Very good medication. My Dr told me that it is a very strong antibiotic my throat cleared in 4 days . Thank goodness!"

Siocal (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

"After 2 days of this antibiotic, I felt no difference. I went to another Doctor who game me betadine liquid to gargle. Next day my sore throat improved little. But after 4 days of azithromycin and 2 days of betadine gargle, I feel good but still unable to swallow food/drink except milk. Hope it gets better in another couple of days."

KrishnaINDIA April 5, 2015

"Had Strep Throat, couldn't get to see Dr for 7 days, extreme pain, fever, chills, couldn't eat or swallow. Dr prescribed Zithromax 500mg (1 tab for 3 days). After 1st day noticed significant difference, 2nd day, almost gone completely!! I was feeling so hopeless before taking this med, like it would go on forever. Zithromax knocked it out so quickly!! Feeling better and back to work/ normal life."

Culater06 April 5, 2015

"Took two at 10 pm and by noon the next day my throat was better by half. Could hardly swallow my own spit it was so painful. It was a drastic improvement."

ajmanananaj (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

"I started feeling better within the hour but as the night progressed I had a stomach ache and non stop diarrhea. I guess you can't win every time."

dying with strep and influenza January 17, 2015

"I was prescribed this along with a steroid pack. I'm on my fourth day and I will admit I feel a little better. Although it still doesn't look so great, I still have 2 more days. "

Anonymous December 1, 2014

"I've used this medication in the past and now recently for a bad throat infection, I was given the 5 day pack, after the first day (2 tablets) taken it started to feel better... And slowly it's been improving everyday. I did experience bad stomach side effects, diarrhea mainly, but I expected that since I wasn't eating well from the throat infection. Took my last tablet today and I hope that it's gone but the symptoms have definitely improved. If you do get an upset stomach try to take it with food. Good medication all in all though."

LizzetteS February 5, 2013

"My young son was presciribed this for severe tonsillitis. His fevers were very high. Paracetamol would bring it down but it would be right back up long before 4 hrs were up. The Azithromycin just made him sicker. He had the worst diarrhea and gas and abdominal pain which was very difficult for an already miserable child. After 3 days he wasn't improving and was changed to a different medication."

Anonymous August 19, 2012

"This was the wonder pill for me. I was prescribed this alongside a steroid pack and told to take 3-4 regular ibuprofens for the pain in my throat. Let me say, it was VERY severe; I couldn't swallow much, hadn't eaten. I woke up the next day with NO fever and much less swelling and pain. This is my second day on this antibiotic."

Anonymous August 2, 2012

"I'm taking the Z-pak and it started working after the first day. I already feel much better. I have had stomach cramps but it only lasts like a minute. Overall I'm happy and happy to get back to work."

Anonymous February 29, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Worked quickly and efficiently. Throat pain decreased within 2-3 days, nose congestion decreased within one day."

Anonymous June 21, 2011

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I experience hallucinations (bad dreams) while using this medicine."

edddd May 10, 2011

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "It worked fast and I felt better after four days, but my side effects were diahrrea two hours after each dose and itchy skin with a rash. Now 2 weeks after finishing the prescription I have an infection in my mouth and throat -- oral yeast infection or thrush is listed as a side effect."

Anonymous January 7, 2010

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I was prescribed a 5 day Z-Pak to treat a Streptococcal pharyngitis infection. After the second day, the medication reduced the swelling and throat pain, but began to cause stomach cramping and pain. By the end of the third day the stomach pain was severe and Doctor recommended to discontinue use. This is the only antibiotic I have used that has caused an allergic reaction."

scaryfencer June 27, 2009

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "I had strep throat and have been taking this medicine for 3 days and I still have a sore throat. I feel like I have a sinus infection now."

Anonymous April 28, 2009

Zithromax (azithromycin): "It worked fast and I didn't have to take a lot of it. Only once in 3 days."

Anonymous September 10, 2008

Zithromax (azithromycin): "My ears hurt from the throat infection. This medicine gives relief in a couple of days and finished the infection off. I am well again."

glamourman June 18, 2008

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Amazing results from a Z-Pak! I had strep throat, and love the convenience of a 5 day run of antibiotics. I had no apparent side effects from the medication."

FeelingBetter June 15, 2008