User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 51 medications used in the treatment of Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis

"Finished taking meds today. Its worse my fever spiking to 100.7..white paste is now on both tonsils. 800mg Motrin up to 4 times a day..neck and shoulder pain..strep and flu swabs were negative. Seeking more treatment tomorrow."

psg30909 January 1, 2016

"I have been on this for three days now with the five pack dose. (250mg). The first day I had to take two and I threw it up, because I had nothing in my stomach. If you take this eat something before you take the dose. I'm on day three now, and I feel no pain, but my tonsils still look the same?? Will it eventually die down? I now have a pretty bad cough, along with a lot of sinuses in my head."

will my tonsils get better? (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

"I have been taking these for the past three days and it has made my throat worse (I have blisters in the back of my throat) it has made me tired, given me headaches, and my stomach has been killing me"

I hate this medicine November 26, 2015

"Took 4 days of this medicine to no prevail. I actually got worse and ended up back at the take care clinic to be immediately sent to the emergency room because they thought I had an abscess on my tonsils. I'm happy that got ruled out, but I will never take a Z-pack again. They should have prescribed amoxicillin the Er Doctor said."

TeeH November 1, 2015

"Took this 5 day treatment in the past a couple of times and it worked great. This time (2015) urgent care doc recommended amoxicillin, 2x day for ten days. I asked for the Z-pack and they agreed. Now on day 5, still coughing and throat tender. Wife and daughter got the amoxicillin on same day, all better. I guess this strep is resistant? Hopefully knocks it out in the next couple of days. Next time I would go for the amoxicillin for sure :)"

Jonneo October 13, 2015

"Seems to be working very slowly wish urgent care practitioner would have gave me a more aggressive antibiotic. I also got a large thick shot in the upper butt. Don't know what it was but opted for it for a faster reaction so don't really know if the z pack is even working at all. Day 2 of 5"

Jared b August 30, 2015

"Started feeling bad with strep symptoms on Monday accompanied by fever, chills, body aches and swollen throat. Went to the ER. Culture came back positive. Dr gave me ibuprofen, zithromax and prednisone before leaving. Left with rx for those two and have felt no symptoms since. Other than my stomach being torn up from the meds, i think the prednisone has made all the difference this time. This is the 3rd time this year alone i have had it."

mandabear613 July 30, 2015

"I'm on my fourth day of this medicine for strep throat and my throat is in unbearable pain still. It really has not done anything for me. Horrible and would not recommend using."

Anonymous July 9, 2015

"I was prescribed azithromycin for tonsilitis/phyrangitis. On day 4 with the z-pak and still can't eat can't even swallow my own saliva without being afraid it will hurt. This medication is completely useless my swelling hasn't gone down and the pus pockets are now on the right side of my throat. I am in so much pain haven't eaten for 4 days"

apsa (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2015

"Was given the five day pack for strep throat. Day four and finally improving a bit. Probably not the strongest or beat for strep, but slowly does the job and works for five days after completing meds."

Sherwoodfam June 14, 2015

"After tolerating an increasingly lumpy, sore, raw, dry throat and overall fatigue for about 10 days I finally went to the doctor. Z-pac and prednisone reduced the symptoms dramatically in 2 days. I didn't realize just how badly I felt. Taken exactly as prescribed this was certainly the right treatment. It's working."

Borris60 May 3, 2015

"Very good medication. My Dr told me that it is a very strong antibiotic my throat cleared in 4 days . Thank goodness!"

Siocal (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

"After 2 days of this antibiotic, I felt no difference. I went to another Doctor who game me betadine liquid to gargle. Next day my sore throat improved little. But after 4 days of azithromycin and 2 days of betadine gargle, I feel good but still unable to swallow food/drink except milk. Hope it gets better in another couple of days."

KrishnaINDIA April 5, 2015

"Had Strep Throat, couldn't get to see Dr for 7 days, extreme pain, fever, chills, couldn't eat or swallow. Dr prescribed Zithromax 500mg (1 tab for 3 days). After 1st day noticed significant difference, 2nd day, almost gone completely!! I was feeling so hopeless before taking this med, like it would go on forever. Zithromax knocked it out so quickly!! Feeling better and back to work/ normal life."

Culater06 April 5, 2015

"Took two at 10 pm and by noon the next day my throat was better by half. Could hardly swallow my own spit it was so painful. It was a drastic improvement."

ajmanananaj (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

"I started feeling better within the hour but as the night progressed I had a stomach ache and non stop diarrhea. I guess you can't win every time."

dying with strep and influenza January 17, 2015

"I was prescribed this along with a steroid pack. I'm on my fourth day and I will admit I feel a little better. Although it still doesn't look so great, I still have 2 more days. "

Anonymous December 1, 2014

"I've used this medication in the past and now recently for a bad throat infection, I was given the 5 day pack, after the first day (2 tablets) taken it started to feel better... And slowly it's been improving everyday. I did experience bad stomach side effects, diarrhea mainly, but I expected that since I wasn't eating well from the throat infection. Took my last tablet today and I hope that it's gone but the symptoms have definitely improved. If you do get an upset stomach try to take it with food. Good medication all in all though."

LizzetteS February 5, 2013

"My young son was presciribed this for severe tonsillitis. His fevers were very high. Paracetamol would bring it down but it would be right back up long before 4 hrs were up. The Azithromycin just made him sicker. He had the worst diarrhea and gas and abdominal pain which was very difficult for an already miserable child. After 3 days he wasn't improving and was changed to a different medication."

Anonymous August 19, 2012

"This was the wonder pill for me. I was prescribed this alongside a steroid pack and told to take 3-4 regular ibuprofens for the pain in my throat. Let me say, it was VERY severe; I couldn't swallow much, hadn't eaten. I woke up the next day with NO fever and much less swelling and pain. This is my second day on this antibiotic."

Anonymous August 2, 2012

"I'm taking the Z-pak and it started working after the first day. I already feel much better. I have had stomach cramps but it only lasts like a minute. Overall I'm happy and happy to get back to work."

Anonymous February 29, 2012

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Worked quickly and efficiently. Throat pain decreased within 2-3 days, nose congestion decreased within one day."

Anonymous June 21, 2011

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I experience hallucinations (bad dreams) while using this medicine."

edddd May 10, 2011

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "It worked fast and I felt better after four days, but my side effects were diahrrea two hours after each dose and itchy skin with a rash. Now 2 weeks after finishing the prescription I have an infection in my mouth and throat -- oral yeast infection or thrush is listed as a side effect."

Anonymous January 7, 2010

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I was prescribed a 5 day Z-Pak to treat a Streptococcal pharyngitis infection. After the second day, the medication reduced the swelling and throat pain, but began to cause stomach cramping and pain. By the end of the third day the stomach pain was severe and Doctor recommended to discontinue use. This is the only antibiotic I have used that has caused an allergic reaction."

scaryfencer June 27, 2009